PDA

View Full Version : Sprint to Launch iPhone Through Prepaid Brand Virgin Mobile in Coming Weeks

MacRumors
Jun 5, 2012, 12:27 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/05/sprint-to-launch-iphone-through-prepaid-brand-virgin-mobile-in-coming-weeks/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/virgina_mobile_usa_logo-150x112.jpg

MarketWatch reports (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sprints-virgin-mobile-usa-to-offer-iphone-2012-06-05) that Sprint will announce later this week that it will begin offering the iPhone on a prepaid basis through its Virgin Mobile brand. The announcement will come just days after Leap Wireless announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/31/iphone-coming-to-u-s-prepaid-carrier-cricket-on-june-22/) that it would begin offering the iPhone on a prepaid basis through its Cricket brand beginning June 22.The Overland Park, Kan., carrier will announce this week it will offer the popular smartphone on its Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go brand starting as soon as July 1, according to people familiar with the company's plans. Sprint follows Leap Wireless International Inc. in selling the device with prepaid service.

By offering the iPhone, Sprint may help satisfy its commitment to Apple to buy $15.5 billion of the phones over four years, an aggressive bet as more carriers are getting access to the once-exclusive device. Sprint's prepaid service, which also includes the Boost Mobile brand, has been its lone area of growth as contract customers have fled.Virgin Mobile's pricing for the iPhone remains unknown, and it is also unclear whether Sprint's Boost Mobile brand will also gain access to the device. Boost had been rumored last week (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/01/iphone-coming-to-boost-mobile-in-september/) to be adding the iPhone in September.

Virgin Mobile's existing smartphone plans begin at $35 per month with unlimited data (throttled after 2.5 GB), although the report notes that it is unknown whether the iPhone would be eligible for the carrier's cheapest plans.

Article Link: Sprint to Launch iPhone Through Prepaid Brand Virgin Mobile in Coming Weeks (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/05/sprint-to-launch-iphone-through-prepaid-brand-virgin-mobile-in-coming-weeks/)

Ryth
Jun 5, 2012, 12:28 PM
Wonder if they'll get the iPhone 5....anyway this is good for everyone. More PayGo options we get, the cheaper these other plans will come down.

wordoflife
Jun 5, 2012, 12:30 PM
$35 / month sounds really sweet.
I'm guessing we're going to have to buy the phone up front though so not sure if I'll jump. If they're going to be almost the same price in the long run, I'd rather have AT&T.

Prof.
Jun 5, 2012, 12:31 PM
With the iPhone coming to all these pre-paid and regional carriers, I wonder if this is Apple's response to Android and its dominant market share...? :confused: Just theorizing.

Ryth
Jun 5, 2012, 12:33 PM
I'm guessing we're going to have to buy the phone up front though so not sure if I'll jump.

What is bad about buying the phone up front when you save a ton over two years compared to everyone other plans.

I'd love a $35 option but I guess is it will be around $40 or $50 for the plan. In reality, that is all I need if even that. Im near Wifi 90% of the time and barely even talk via voice anymore since most conversations for hooking up with people and meeting them come via either email, or chat/texting.

----------

With the iPhone coming to all these pre-paid and regional carriers, I wonder if this is Apple's response to Android and its dominant market share...? :confused: Just theorizing.

It should be. The iPhone should be on every carrier. It should be up to the buyer to choose his plan/carrier. The majority of carriers are r-ping everyone.

On average you are looking at $2K over 2 years with Sprint/AT&T/Verizon. If you have the unlimited plan its almost $3.2K. That's fricking ABSURD.

I want a paygo option. I shouldn't have to pay for more if I don't use, need it.

Compile 'em all
Jun 5, 2012, 12:33 PM
As a developer, more carriers and more options is always welcome news. :)

Macman45
Jun 5, 2012, 12:34 PM
I'm not with VM for my iPhone service, but have been tempted a couple of times. I do have the BB service, and apart from really lousy (and i Mean lousy) customer service, the speeds are constant and as advertised. I've been with O2 for my phones for years now, and maybe it's time to take another look at VM, trouble is, like all service providers they HATE folks who buy their own phones.

I'm contract free, buy all my phones, and can walk when I like....This they hate. But might take a look at VM...I'm thinking about changing my landline over too....Only kept it when my Mother was still with us...It was about the only thing she could remember in the end. The entire package from VM, minus the TV stuff which I don't want, seems good...Be interested to see what others here think.

I'm glad the iPhone is expanding to the prepaid realm in the US.

AppleGuesser

I absolutely think it is. These carriers get a solid phone on a great OS. If people do have the option, i think about 3/5ths of people looking to buy a phone if they had the choice between an iPhone or Android would choose iOS. I think this is great news, more voices, more opinions, more users, more control. Good move apple! :D

sk1wbw
Jun 5, 2012, 12:35 PM
Excess inventory of 3G or 3GS units? I wonder how much inventory Apple has of these things. Still great phones though.

Ryth
Jun 5, 2012, 12:36 PM
I'm glad the iPhone is expanding to the prepaid realm in the US.

Agreed..it's already like this in Europe and other countries.

Can't wait if it's true. Can finally spend upfront on a nice phone and then have a bill that makes sense for my usage.

gatortpk
Wonder if they'll get the iPhone 5....anyway this is good for everyone. More PayGo options we get, the cheaper these other plans will come down.

It makes sense that the next generation iPhone will be launched with many more providers given that the fifth generation Qualcomm Gobi radio chipset will support nearly every Cellular technology including Voice over LTE (VoIP like; packet switched Voice).

The fifth generation chip supports TD-SCDMA, TD-LTE, LTE on FDD and TDD networks worldwide and embedded GPS capability, plus HSPA+ and EV-DO, this covers even China Mobile's different cellular technologies (TD-SCDMA) and they have 655 million subscribers now, well above all the subscribers for every carrier in the US combined.

Ryth
Excess inventory of 3G or 3GS units? I wonder how much inventory Apple has of these things. Still great phones though.

4 and 4s...Cricket is going to offer the 4 and 4s.

Therbo
Jun 5, 2012, 12:37 PM
Do Americans need everything done for them by the carriers?

You get a PAYG Virgin Mobile SIM-Card.

You buy an iPhone

You put the PAYG Virgin Mobile SIM-card in the iPhone.

It just works.

Xcelerate
Jun 5, 2012, 12:38 PM
Virgin Mobile is great. I'm on them right now with an LG Optimus V at (grandfathered) $25 per month for unlimited data, unlimited text, and 300 minutes. And since mine was the first edition of the Optimus, I have free unrooted tethering as well (they disabled this really quickly in the next batch of Optimus's).

Ryth
Jun 5, 2012, 12:38 PM

You buy an iPhone

It just works.

And you also pay full price for the phone. This won't be full price but $150 cheaper.

You can do that on TMobile right now because its GSM and uses a SIM Card. The issue is you are on the Edge network and don't get 3G speeds even.

Also isnt Virgin Mobile USA on a CDMA network, similar to Verizon and Sprint? The unlocked iPhone 4S can only be used on other GSM networks like T-Mobile.

lil' brudder
Jun 5, 2012, 12:48 PM
This is both thoroughly exciting and thoroughly depressing to me. I'm with Virgin now on a grandfathered $25/mo plan with an LG Optimus V and while I love what I get for the price I pay, I was really wanting to move to a bigger carrier that allows roaming like Verizon or Sprint. One of my justifications for paying more for a bigger carrier was the ability to get an iPhone. All my defenses are broken down.

The only thing is going to be when Sprint launches LTE. Their current 4G is just WiMax, so even if they launched the iPhone 5, we'd be on 3G speeds. The good news is that since they are a CDMA carrier, they at least have to offer the iPhone 4. :)

Therbo
Jun 5, 2012, 12:50 PM
And you also pay full price for the phone. This won't be full price but $150 cheaper.

You can do that on TMobile right now because its GSM and uses a SIM Card. The issue is you are on the Edge network and don't get 3G speeds even.

Also isnt Virgin Mobile USA on a CDMA network, similar to Verizon and Sprint? The unlocked iPhone 4S can only be used on other GSM networks like T-Mobile.

I've used T-Mobile on the iPhone, 3G worked fine.

blackhand1001
Jun 5, 2012, 12:52 PM
I absolutely think it is. These carriers get a solid phone on a great OS. If people do have the option, i think about 3/5ths of people looking to buy a phone if they had the choice between an iPhone or Android would choose iOS. I think this is great news, more voices, more opinions, more users, more control. Good move apple! :D

Not when they see the price. I doubt many people are gonna wanna shell out 500+ dollars on a phone in the US. Especially now that the nexus is only 399.99 without a contract.

Ryth
Jun 5, 2012, 12:55 PM

So do you live in those select tiny areas where it's available? Because you can't get 3G on Tmobile on an iPhone unless it's in those few areas where T-Mobile has changed spectrum.

blackhand1001
Jun 5, 2012, 12:56 PM

No it did not. Maybe you thought it did but it wasn't working. The iPhones gsm radio does not support T mobiles 3g's frequency.

Ryth
Jun 5, 2012, 01:01 PM
No it did not. Maybe you thought it did but it wasn't working. The iPhones gsm radio does not support T mobiles 3g's frequency.

Exactly. And why are people down voting you?

This is FACT.

cvaldes
Jun 5, 2012, 01:02 PM
T-Mobile UK and T-Mobile US are two different networks.

T-Mobile UK uses the same network frequencies as all of the other UK mobile operators.

T-Mobile USA does not run on the same frequencies as the other GSM-based North American mobile operators like AT&T. For 3G data service, T-Mobile USA uses the AWS band which is not supported on the current nor previous iPhone models.

Xenomorph
Jun 5, 2012, 01:06 PM
Oh wow. I left Virgin Mobile and switched to AT&T to get the iPhone back in 2009. Now Virgin Mobile is getting the iPhone. I wonder if I should switch back ...

They were crazy cheap, and didn't charge me for services I didn't use or want.

Warbrain
Jun 5, 2012, 01:06 PM
Not when they see the price. I doubt many people are gonna wanna shell out 500+ dollars on a phone in the US. Especially now that the nexus is only 399.99 without a contract.

99% of people don't know that they can order a Galaxy Nexus at all.

Intarweb
Jun 5, 2012, 01:15 PM
t-mobile uk and t-mobile us are two different networks.

T-mobile uk uses the same network frequencies as all of the other uk mobile operators.

T-mobile usa does not run on the same frequencies as the other gsm-based north american mobile operators like at&t. For 3g data service, t-mobile usa uses the aws band which is not supported on the current nor previous iphone models.

pwned!

foodog
Jun 5, 2012, 01:19 PM
99% of people don't know that they can order a Galaxy Nexus at all.

Don't know or don't care

charlituna
Jun 5, 2012, 01:20 PM
More PayGo options we get,

except this is prepaid, not pay as you go. Basically it's the same as the current scheme but since you pay your plan at the top of the period and not the end you don't have to bother with a credit check. And you don't get a subsidy so you pay more for the phone and aren't on contract. But the rates aren't really that much cheaper in the end than what you pay to the big boys, basically it's the same rate minus the subsidy pay back dollars. That's all.

GorgonPhone
Jun 5, 2012, 01:24 PM
cool so get a cheap used iphone and hook up a pre paid $49 pan..

----------

Don't know or don't care

there are 100 different android phones and 95 of them are not cared about..

Ryth
Jun 5, 2012, 01:25 PM
except this is prepaid, not pay as you go. Basically it's the same as the current scheme but since you pay your plan at the top of the period and not the end you don't have to bother with a credit check. And you don't get a subsidy so you pay more for the phone and aren't on contract. But the rates aren't really that much cheaper in the end than what you pay to the big boys, basically it's the same rate minus the subsidy pay back dollars. That's all.

It's not close to the same rate...

If you pay $50 a month, then you are looking at $1200 over two years in plan costs. You cannot get a plan for that on AT&T, Verizon or Sprint anywhere close to that.

Even paying the $400 for the phone you are at $1600 or so, where the closest plan that they have comes in around $2000.

Wicked1
Jun 5, 2012, 01:27 PM

Yep, Apple is trying to get into every market and spread themselves all over, good for competition, and good for consumers.

Zaren
Jun 5, 2012, 01:27 PM
WOOT! I've been waiting to hear this news for almost two years. I have been a happy VM customer all that time, and am quite fed up with the limitations of the Android smartphone I bought to use with them. Here's hoping I don't die of sticker shock when the announcement is official.

shaown
Jun 5, 2012, 01:31 PM
Lots of confusion in this thread.

1) Virgin Mobile in the US does not support GSM - no SIMs, etc. Its a CDMA carrier using Sprint's network. Today - you can't take iPhones to the majority of prepaid networks in US (until all these announcements), and in fact if you want 3G support, you have to use a MVNO operating on AT&T (like StraightTalk). There was some limited success with CDMA iPhones on PagePlus (Verizon).

2) T-Mobile in the US historically only supports 3G (though they market it as 4G) on AWS bands, which none of the current iPhones support, restricting you to 2G/EDGE. However, they have announced spectrum refarming and support for 3G on 1900mhz - which means iPhone's 3G will start working on T-Mo. This has already started working in a number of markets - though its far from consistent.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/05/t-mobile-cto-says-network-will-be-should-be-ready-for-iphone-users-by-fourth-quarter/

Thanks,
-Shaown

cvaldes
Jun 5, 2012, 01:32 PM
pwned!
I'm just curious: why did you remove all of my carefully added (and proper) capitalization when you quoted me?

chrmjenkins
Jun 5, 2012, 01:33 PM

Partially. I think it's mostly a way of evangelizing to pre-paid customers. That way, when they go post-paid, platform isn't a question.

liavman
Jun 5, 2012, 01:35 PM
Virgin Mobile can really make a killing by disrupting AT&T and Verizon. As they do now, separate the monthly charges from the phone. If you buy the phone outright, no problems. For those who feel intimidated by the approx $640 price tag, VM can offer this. A two year phone loan, like how a car dealer offers a car loan. The customer pays $200 upfront ( down payment ), $18 a month and VM eats the interest rate charges. At today's low interest rates, that is less than $10.00 total. ( may be they can even package it up so it comes to $50 a month.. )

You are still free go to at any time and pay off the phone monthly for the remainder of the two years or pay off the remaining balance.

( it does bring up credit check etc. but that is only for those who are adopting the loan plan. But the key is to make this all simple and the customer can do a quick eyeball comparison to other carriers )

unlimitedx
Jun 5, 2012, 01:43 PM
great news. too bad virgin mobile is CDMA.. there needs to be more GSM MVNOs with these lower price points that gives at least 1-2gb of data.

racer1441
Jun 5, 2012, 01:46 PM
Is there any coverage or network difference between cricket and virgin?

BiggAW
Jun 5, 2012, 01:47 PM
I'm not surprised... they had to dump those iPhones somehow. Virgin Mobile has attractive prince points, but you will be without service when traveling a lot of the time, as it doesn't have Verizon roaming.

nickn
Jun 5, 2012, 01:48 PM
I have VM and have been extremely happy overall. Up until now, really my only complaint has been that they had sub par phones, but that has changed with the release of the HTC EVO V 4G. I would highly suggest to anyone that if you have coverage in your area, switch over to VM. Their plans start at just $35 a month off contract, which gets you 300 min, unlimited text, and unlimited, albeit throttled data. No other company even comes close price wise.

Virgin Mobile is a subsidiary of Sprint, and thus they use CDMA technology. The oldest iPhone that could be purchased with a CDMA radio was the 4, so they will never be selling the 3G or 3GS.

I'm not surprised... they had to dump those iPhones somehow. Virgin Mobile has attractive prince points, but you will be without service when traveling a lot of the time, as it doesn't have Verizon roaming.
I have extensively driven through Wisconsin and Illinois, and on highways in Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Georgia, and never had any major reception problems with VM. Honestly the Sprint network alone is big enough that you really don't even need to roam.

Ryth
Jun 5, 2012, 02:24 PM

Don't believe it. Most of the places you need to go/be have coverage. Never have had an issue on most PayGo/Prepaid phones.

And lots of people who travel probably wouldn't use these plans...they are ideal for people who are local and don't need ridiculous price point plans for things they'll never use up.

Satnam1989
Jun 5, 2012, 02:31 PM

You buy an iPhone

It just works.

I guess your from anywhere but USA because in USA Virgin Mobile is CDMA....everywhere else its GSM

zorinlynx
Jun 5, 2012, 02:34 PM

I was on Sprint from 2005 until 2010, traveled quite a bit, and I could count on one hand the number of times I ended up roaming on Verizon.

And each and every one of those times I was in a big building or other signal-unfriendly place, and had maybe one or less bars of probably-not-very-good service.

Sprint has excellent coverage. I don't know why people put them down so often.

PracticalMac
Jun 5, 2012, 02:35 PM
Very interesting to see what pricing will be.
Hope it's reveled in next week.

Silverbird0000
Jun 5, 2012, 02:47 PM
I think this is horrible news. The iPhone has been viewed in the top tiers of phones since its introduction. If you go to a carrier such as Virgin, you are dumbing it down. It will tarnish the view and reputation of iPhone and iOS. Steve would have never allowed this. The majority of people that use Virgin usually have a lower socioeconomic status, or are teenagers. This is where iPhone will become Android. Bad.

andyx3x
Jun 5, 2012, 02:50 PM
I'm guessing we're going to have to buy the phone up front though so not sure if I'll jump.

What is bad about buying the phone up front when you save a ton over two years compared to everyone other plans.

It's because people in this day and age don't think about that. They just think about the short term.

gpat
Jun 5, 2012, 02:52 PM
I think this is horrible news. The iPhone has been viewed in the top tiers of phones since its introduction. If you go to a carrier such as Virgin, you are dumbing it down. It will tarnish the view and reputation of iPhone and iOS. Steve would have never allowed this. The majority of people that use Virgin usually have a lower socioeconomic status, or are teenagers. This is where iPhone will become Android. Bad.

You mean, like AT&T has done from day one?

NewAnger
Jun 5, 2012, 02:55 PM

Have you forgotten that the iPhone has been sold at Wal-Mart under Steve's watch?

andyx3x
Jun 5, 2012, 02:59 PM
Have you forgotten that the iPhone has been sold at Wal-Mart under Steve's watch?

And people went nuts when that happened. I remember quotes like "have you seen the type of people that go to Wal Mart?"

treyjustice
Jun 5, 2012, 03:01 PM

I'm pretty poor and had an iPhone when I was a teenager :D

I could care less what carrier or what people use the iPhone..

malman89
Jun 5, 2012, 03:03 PM
I'm rocking an LG Optimus V on VM with the $40 (now $45) plan of 1200 minutes, unlimited text and data. I didn't even find the throttling that noticeable when I tethered my phone (for free) for a whole month last year when I was without a dedicated home internet provider. Might be different now on that front, not sure.

If I could stick with my same plan (or $45 since if you upgrade a phone now you get bumped up), I would think about doing it - especially since VM has no WP models (which I'd rather get next tbh).

People complaining about the upfront costs are either bad with numbers or have an amazing grandfathered plans and/or discounted plans -

VM:
iPhone 4s on VM, say $400
Monthly rate at $45/month
Year 1 cost (incl. phone): $940
Year 2 cost: $540
Total 2 year cost: $1,480

AT&T:
iPhone 4s 16GB: $199.99
Nation 450 w/rollover (cheapest minute plan): $39.99/month
300MB data: $20.00/month
Unlimited messaging: $20.00/month
Monthly rate: $79.99
Year 1 cost (incl. phone): $1,159.87
Year 2 cost: $959.88
Total 2 year cost: $2,119.75

You could counter with "but I use WiFi to text, so I don't need the plan" - k, down to $1,639.75. That's almost a draw if you must need AT&T or a GSM phone, but still a difference. VM uses Sprint and it has never failed me since I switched in early 2011 from VZW.

andyx3x
Jun 5, 2012, 03:08 PM
No way the $35 plan will be an option for the iPhone. I'm guessing it will be $50 a month.

P.S. I might make the switch. It's very tempting.

Ryth
Jun 5, 2012, 03:09 PM
It's because people in this day and age don't think about that. They just think about the short term.

Agreed. I had a HUGE argument at lunch the other day with a bunch of iPhone users and told them the only reason I didn't have an iPhone yet was because of the absurd plans and when they go to a PayGo/PrePaid, I'll get one.

They were like whats the big deal and I said $2000 over two years for a device that I can use mainly on WiFi the majority of the time is a big deal. That's just not worth it to me.

When I showed them the cost over 2 years, they had no idea they were paying that much..especially the unlimited users...which was almost $3000. I asked them if they really thought that was worth it and most clamored up.

Most don't even come close to their minutes..not by a mile.

I told them, when the iPhone comes to the other carriers, then I'll get one. $40-50 for a phone plan is a lot better then $75-$125. It adds up...a lot.

Our plans in the US are absurdly over-priced.

I'm pretty poor and had an iPhone when I was a teenager :D

I could care less what carrier or what people use the iPhone..

Maybe that's why you were poor. Did you really need an iPhone?

I find many people who are struggling or are 'poor' by $$ standards to have things they don't really don't need.

No way the $35 plan will be an option for the iPhone. I'm guessing it will be $50 a month.

$50 is a bargain compared to other plans. The majority of the time...most don't need most of their data plans at all if they are near WiFi most of the time. Add in how much people barely talk now and talk plans are a waste of $$$

BiggAW
Jun 5, 2012, 03:13 PM
Don't believe it. Most of the places you need to go/be have coverage. Never have had an issue on most PayGo/Prepaid phones.

And lots of people who travel probably wouldn't use these plans...they are ideal for people who are local and don't need ridiculous price point plans for things they'll never use up.

I know for a fact that many places I have been in the last couple of years don't have native Sprint service. Some didn't have native Verizon and/or AT&T either. Pretty much everywhere had some sort of CDMA and GSM coverage through roaming agreements.

Silverbird0000
Jun 5, 2012, 03:16 PM

I did not disagree with the iPhone being sold at Walmart, because Walmart was just selling the device for basically the same price as all other vendors. But if you have an iPhone on a prepay service, you cheapen its features, and by doing that you have ignorant people complaining about how slow the iPhone is, spreading the word how they hate it, ect... then people stop buying it, when if said person had just gotten the iPhone on a major carrier in the first place, it would not have been crippled. Even an iPhone on Verizon is not as good as an iPhone on AT&T, if you live in an area that has both services with good reception. I am not just ranting, I kind of know what i'm talking about. I am a network/computer/software engineer.

gjkiii
Jun 5, 2012, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE

VM:

AT&T:

[/QUOTE]

That ATT quote is to low. VM gives you 2.5 gigs before throttling. So up the data to $30 per month and don't forget to add tax to the bill (which you can avoid on VM by buying top up cards). Figure $10 - $15 for tax. so thats another $22.50 per month (split the tax down the middle) which makes your 2 year cost $2659.75.

KTF
Jun 5, 2012, 03:27 PM
Agreed. I had a HUGE argument at lunch the other day with a bunch of iPhone users and told them the only reason I didn't have an iPhone yet was because of the absurd plans and when they go to a PayGo/PrePaid, I'll get one.

They were like whats the big deal and I said $2000 over two years for a device that I can use mainly on WiFi the majority of the time is a big deal. That's just not worth it to me.

When I showed them the cost over 2 years, they had no idea they were paying that much..especially the unlimited users...which was almost $3000. I asked them if they really thought that was worth it and most clamored up.

Most don't even come close to their minutes..not by a mile.

I told them, when the iPhone comes to the other carriers, then I'll get one. $40-50 for a phone plan is a lot better then $75-$125. It adds up...a lot.

Our plans in the US are absurdly over-priced.

Maybe that's why you were poor. Did you really need an iPhone?

I find many people who are struggling or are 'poor' by $$ standards to have things they don't really don't need.

$50 is a bargain compared to other plans. The majority of the time...most don't need most of their data plans at all if they are near WiFi most of the time. Add in how much people barely talk now and talk plans are a waste of $$$"Poor" The Man Was Only Joking!

Ryth
Jun 5, 2012, 03:49 PM
I did not disagree with the iPhone being sold at Walmart, because Walmart was just selling the device for basically the same price as all other vendors. But if you have an iPhone on a prepay service, you cheapen its features, and by doing that you have ignorant people complaining about how slow the iPhone is, spreading the word how they hate it, ect... then people stop buying it, when if said person had just gotten the iPhone on a major carrier in the first place, it would not have been crippled. Even an iPhone on Verizon is not as good as an iPhone on AT&T, if you live in an area that has both services with good reception. I am not just ranting, I kind of know what i'm talking about. I am a network/computer/software engineer.

A device is cheapened by its hardware/software...not by where it's sold. A 'prepay' service does not cheapen it's features by any sort of means. And where are you getting it's going to be 'slow', etc...VM is fine for voice and data.

You kinda don't know what you are talking about.

I know for a fact that many places I have been in the last couple of years don't have native Sprint service. Some didn't have native Verizon and/or AT&T either. Pretty much everywhere had some sort of CDMA and GSM coverage through roaming agreements.

OK, so the VM might not work for you. It will work for MILLIONS and MILLIONS of others though and that's the point here.

You can stick with the major carriers for YOUR needs. Their are millions of people who easily can get by with VM or Cricket or any others and just be fine and pay a hell of a lot less then get ripped off by the major carriers.

andyx3x
Jun 5, 2012, 04:05 PM
The majority of the time...most don't need most of their data plans at all if they are near WiFi most of the time. Add in how much people barely talk now and talk plans are a waste of $$$

This is true.

The most talk minutes I use in a month is 100 and that's even getting rare for me.

As for data, I hate paying for 2gb's a month. It might take me a year to even use 2 gb's total. When I use my phone for the most part, I'm always near a wi-fi connection. If not, I just use it for something quick, like checking email or a web search. Nothing that uses a lot of data.

Ryth
Jun 5, 2012, 04:08 PM
This is true.

The most talk minutes I use in a month is 100 and that's even getting rare for me.

As for data, I hate paying for 2gb's a month. It might take me a year to even use 2 gb's total. When I use my phone for the most part, I'm always near a wi-fi connection. If not, I just use it for something quick, like checking email or a web search. Nothing that uses a lot of data.

Yep...there have even been some articles surfacing that mobile companies are trying to find ways to make up for the lost revenue that will be coming sooner rather then later when WiFi becomes the norm for most communication since it's popping up in most places now.

earl310
Jun 5, 2012, 04:11 PM
When did Virgin Mobile switch to SIM-Cards in the United States? I thought they only offered them in the UK.

You buy an iPhone

It just works.

taylortm
Jun 5, 2012, 04:23 PM
People complaining about the upfront costs are either bad with numbers or have an amazing grandfathered plans and/or discounted plans -

VM:

AT&T:

I, too, used to rationalize that postpaid w/ subsidy was about the same as prepaid w/out subsidy. Truth is, Malman's analysis is pretty darn spot-on. I'm a "light texter" so I only have 200 texts/month for $5. But, I'm also grandfathered in on AT&T's unlimited data (which I don't need or fully use) and could pay less and save another $5/month.

Bottom line: paying up front for the phone and then using somebody like VM or StraightTalk is FAR more cost-efficient. PLUS, Malman left out one other non-negligible fact: you have an unlocked phone that you can walk with or sell whenever you want. That's an even BIGGER value than the couple hundred dollars in savings.

I'm switching. But I'll be chicken and let some other people go first on this one.

bayleaves
Jun 5, 2012, 04:31 PM

I've been on Virgin Mobile for the past year, and I have almost never been without coverage. I can only recall one time when I was hiking out in the middle of nowhere and I couldn't get service.

The only drawback I've found for Virgin Mobile was that I've been stuck with this miserable Android phone, but they are about to remedy that. I'm looking forward to going back to the iPhone. I'm only paying $25/month right now, but even if the monthly fee doubles, it's still a lot less than the $95/month I was paying on AT&T. And even buying an unsubsidized (but still discounted) iPhone will still be cheaper in the long run than going back to AT&T.

Sure, it would be cheaper to keep my Android phone and continue paying $25/month, but it's not worth how annoyed I am by my phone all the time.

liavman
Jun 5, 2012, 04:32 PM

Why so pessimistic? Believe in something, man! ;)

Tiger8
Jun 5, 2012, 04:37 PM

Neither one work on Sprint, or Verizon, or Virgin, or Cricket

malman89
Jun 5, 2012, 04:42 PM
VM:

AT&T:

That ATT quote is to low. VM gives you 2.5 gigs before throttling. So up the data to $30 per month and don't forget to add tax to the bill (which you can avoid on VM by buying top up cards). Figure $10 - $15 for tax. so thats another $22.50 per month (split the tax down the middle) which makes your 2 year cost $2659.75.

Good point. I was trying to pick the cheapest AT&T options available to emphasize how much of a discrepancy in pricing there is over a 2 year team. I guess I could've matched my plan to AT&T's options as well (closest to 1200 minutes, 3GB data), but was doing it quickly and too lazy heh.

djharris
Jun 5, 2012, 04:44 PM
Yep...there have even been some articles surfacing that mobile companies are trying to find ways to make up for the lost revenue that will be coming sooner rather then later when WiFi becomes the norm for most communication since it's popping up in most places now.

I'd be interested to see those articles.

Another concern I have about using wi-fi everywhere is security. A lot of stuff we do on our phone is through apps, so how do we know if they are (or aren't) using HTTPS, so anyone can pick up usernames, passwords, data, etc.? At least in a web browser you can see.

Then again, you can subscribe to a VPN provider for about $5-7 a month, and hope they're not looking at your data.

tStriss
Jun 5, 2012, 04:44 PM
It would be great if the prepaid carriers sold the iPhone unlocked :D

djharris
Jun 5, 2012, 04:48 PM
It would be great if the prepaid carriers sold the iPhone unlocked :D

I want to be able to buy the iPhone 5 off contract (or... on contract) and use it on any GSM, CDMA, or LTE carrier, prepaid or not. As long as they have the right frequencies on the radios, that shouldn't be a problem, right?

BiggAW
Jun 5, 2012, 05:19 PM
OK, so the VM might not work for you. It will work for MILLIONS and MILLIONS of others though and that's the point here.

You can stick with the major carriers for YOUR needs. Their are millions of people who easily can get by with VM or Cricket or any others and just be fine and pay a hell of a lot less then get ripped off by the major carriers.

It doesn't meet the needs of anyone who travels and wants coverage while traveling. I recommended it to a friend who is happy with poor coverage and slow data speeds and now he's only paying $25/mo (grandfathered), and just doesn't want to pay more. For people like that it's good. He knows that it won't work outside of well populated areas. I'll stay with contract AT&T, and I would only ever consider Verizon to switch to.

It's not a rip off to have data that 5x the speed, cover that's 4x better or more, the ability to buy data packages to roam in 135 countries, etc, it's just a matter of whether you want to pay to get those features. Basically, do you want service all the time, or do you want cheap service? That's the choice.

The specific issue Sprint has is that they don't give Verizon roaming to some of their MVNOs, yet they deploy their network to be dependent on Verizon roaming when it is cheaper to do so. If Sprint was building in a relative vacuum like T-Mobile was for years until just recently when they got the AT&T roaming deal, they would have a lot more places covered. Sprint, however, has gotten lazy and mooches off Verizon a lot, which really sucks when you have an MVNO that can't mooch off of Verizon.

purplesaber
Jun 5, 2012, 05:22 PM
This is true.

Exactly the same for me. The iPhone is a great device, but post-paid plans just make it the most over-priced device Apple sells. A two-year commitment costs about $2000 and the phone itself is $600 -- there is no way that I feel like I get $1400+ worth of value out of a contract with ATT/Verizon/Sprint.

I really like to feel that I pay for what I use. The Big 3 must make so much money off of people paying for minutes and buckets of data they never use. I was on Virgin Mobile prepaid with an Optimus V $25/mo for a long time (very nice little Android phone), but recently switched to Ting Mobile and a Samsung Galaxy S2. Ting is an MVNO of Sprint but they are prepaid and only charge for what you use (use more one month pay more, use less and pay less). That's the way I've always wanted it to be -- pay for the phone myself and the Cell company should be a just a pipe for minutes and data and I pay for what I actually use. If Virgin is getting the iPhone I'm hoping Ting will too (although the SGS2 is a very nice phone and I don't feel the need to switch, choice is always good)!

Jasoco
Jun 5, 2012, 05:27 PM
Virgin Mobile is great. I'm on them right now with an LG Optimus V at (grandfathered) $25 per month for unlimited data, unlimited text, and 300 minutes. And since mine was the first edition of the Optimus, I have free unrooted tethering as well (they disabled this really quickly in the next batch of Optimus's).
Wow, are you me? Because that's exactly my situation. I bought the Optimus V last Valentines week when it was on sale at Radio Shack and it was great for a while. No iPhone but it was Android and better than any prepaid I'd had yet. My previous phone was an LG Rumor Touch which was a terrible smartphone-wannabe. The Optimus was a breath of fresh air... but now it's slowed down and works so horribly. Always crashing. It's terrible. And the fact the phone has only like a small amount of internal space and most apps on the Play store require themselves to be installed internally meant I was always juggling apps and running out of space, even though I had a 2GB SD card which couldn't even be used for most of my apps! I can't wait to say goodbye to Android. Day 1 purchase for me.

I am ALSO grandfathered into the $25 fee because they upped it to $35 last year but for now people with the plan already get the older price. I have a feeling that will change. And I bet it won't be transferrable to a new model so whatever they end up charging will probably be what we have to pay even if we were grandfathered.

I was planning on getting the Cricket but made a vow. If Virgin announced the iPhone soon before Cricket opened pre-orders, I would stick with them. I am so glad to see it happened. Thank goodness. I'd rather stay with one company. It was bad enough when I switched to Virgin from Net10.

I went down to South Carolina, 700 miles away, and up to New York, 100 miles away, and had no problems with service. At some points I actually had BETTER service. Even when I was in the boonies where my ex lived I still got some service. Sprint's network is pretty damn big. My Net10 phones had terrible coverage, but Virgin never gives me problems at all with service.

I WANT to believe Virgin would keep their prices the same and not charge an "iPhone fee" just to have it, especially since they literally just raised their Smartphone plan $10 last year to $35. If Virgin is smart, they won't apply the iPhone tax. Especially since it would undercut Cricket before they even release the thing on their own network. But if they did charge $55 or thereabouts, I will gladly pay it just to not be bound to a contract.

BiggAW
Jun 5, 2012, 05:37 PM
I went down to South Carolina, 700 miles away, and up to New York, 100 miles away, and had no problems with service. At some points I actually had BETTER service. Even when I was in the boonies where my ex lived I still got some service. Sprint's network is pretty damn big. My Net10 phones had terrible coverage, but Virgin never gives me problems at all with service.

Sprint's network is tiny. Even though they have the most sites (mostly due to duplicate Sprint PCS and Nextel sites), they have the worst coverage of any major carrier. AT&T's 3G network, which is about half of their footprint is larger than Sprint's entire network.

doboy
Jun 5, 2012, 05:45 PM

Why not if the iPhone is completely unsubsidized? VM already raise the price from $25 to $35 last year.

btcutter
Jun 5, 2012, 06:03 PM
To me the best way to consume data is reading on an iPad on 4G LTE. Reading articles and surfing on phone is just unsatisfying.
The best way to communicate is TEXT/email.

So personally I would get the VM or any cheap carrier for simple TEXT/Email.
Say that's $25 with VM or $35 if you aren't grandfathered in. Then get $30 5GB (4GB whatever they gives you) monthly for your iPad with Verizon or ATT.

Total $55 or $65 per month but you really get the best of both worlds. That's less than what most people pay with one smartphone now.

zorinlynx
Jun 5, 2012, 06:10 PM

It won't tarnish anything. Apple won't allow features to be removed regardless of what carrier the phone is at.

If anything, this gives users more options for a carrier. People forever complained that the iPhone was only on AT&T, and now that it's showing up on lots of carriers, folks are complaining that it's on too many carriers now?

Ya'll are never satisfied, are you? Or is this just a troll post? :)

airb330
Jun 5, 2012, 06:20 PM
Sprint's network is tiny. Even though they have the most sites (mostly due to duplicate Sprint PCS and Nextel sites), they have the worst coverage of any major carrier. AT&T's 3G network, which is about half of their footprint is larger than Sprint's entire network.

You're a baseless Sprint basher. :rolleyes: Give it a break.

This is the native Sprint network:

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Know_what_coverage_to_expect_with_older_singleband_phones_or_plans_that_dont_include_roaming/case-gz982789-20110302-115929

If you travel outside that, fine, stick with AT&T or Verizon. It makes sense for you. I travel often, even in some rural areas of PA. Sprint's network is fine for most people. I have Verizon now, but honestly in the mid-Atlantic region, Verizon is not noticeably better and Sprint is miles ahead of T-Mobile.

rgctx
Jun 5, 2012, 06:30 PM
Im pretty sure there will be a iPhone only plan, im guessing from $49-$60 a month. No way they are going to let the iphone be on there $35 plan, at least not with any data.

mactactic
Jun 5, 2012, 06:54 PM
Been using Straight Talk service with my unlocked 4S for 3 months at 45 $ a month Unlimited everything plan NO PROBLEM !!
I will never be locked into a stupid 2 year agreement AGAIN !! :D
I will buy the iPhone 5 unlocked when it comes out sell the 4S pay about 200 $ for the new phone
seems like a good deal to me !

JBazz
Jun 5, 2012, 07:24 PM
I am considering upgrading when this happens. I love Virgin Mobile. I love paying $44.10 per month. Nothing extra. 1300 anytime minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data.

VM already announced their new plans and iPhone will be on those plans. I will either go up $5 or go down in minutes. But it will never be a $75 to $100 monthly bill like you pay on contract phones.

goosnarrggh
Jun 6, 2012, 06:16 AM
And people went nuts when that happened. I remember quotes like "have you seen the type of people that go to Wal Mart?"

There's an odd dichotomy among people who like Apple.

Many people genuinely prefer Apple because they have rationally observed that many of Apple's products are better engineered, and offer a better user experience overall, than the competition. That's enough evidence for them to reach the conclusion that they should give preference to Apple over other manufacturers as they evaluate their purchasing decisions.

But then there are others. People who seem to use their ownership of Apple products as a status symbol. They want to turn their noses up at everybody else who has the lack or worthiness or poor taste to be using any non-Apple product. The notion that their exclusive Apple products might gain a wider user base through more accessible pricing really seems to come as a threat to their egos.

Tiger8
Jun 6, 2012, 07:19 AM

Of course! and from your signature, I see that you are from the higher socioeconomic status, good for you man! isn't it wonderful being you?

RobinHood5
Jun 6, 2012, 09:18 AM
I've been waiting for this for ages!!!! Virgin mobile iis great in my area and I could totally do $35 a month!!! Go for it Virgin Mobile!!!

Warbrain
Jun 6, 2012, 09:46 AM
Don't know or don't care

Both.

bry223
Jun 6, 2012, 10:05 AM
I think this is horrible news. The iPhone has been viewed in the top tiers of phones since its introduction. If you go to a carrier such as Virgin, you are dumbing it down. It will tarnish the view and reputation of iPhone and iOS. Steve would have never allowed this. The majority of people that use Virgin usually have a lower socioeconomic status, or are teenagers. .

This is such BS. Between my wife and I we make over 100k a year and own our house. She uses a Virgin Mobile phone and I plan on switching once my contract is up and buy a HTC Evo with hotspot for my wifi ipad. Stereotyping just proves your ignorance.

foodog
Jun 6, 2012, 10:26 AM
It's not close to the same rate...

If you pay $50 a month, then you are looking at $1200 over two years in plan costs. You cannot get a plan for that on AT&T, Verizon or Sprint anywhere close to that.

Even paying the $400 for the phone you are at $1600 or so, where the closest plan that they have comes in around $2000.

Most people in America only think cost based on what the monthly payment will be.... sad but true.

----------

So you have to have a certain socioeconomic status to own an iPhone?

Intarweb
Jun 6, 2012, 10:26 AM
I'm just curious: why did you remove all of my carefully added (and proper) capitalization when you quoted me?

Didn't. It must have been an automatic forum thing.

jasonv1
Jun 6, 2012, 10:58 AM
...or there are some of us who prefer to save 600+ on mobile service every year to spend that money on other things.

I'd rather have a couple of additional days of vacation somewhere than an expensive mobile bill. This is the same reason I dumped cable/satellite at home and went to streaming, it frees up money to do things (I think) that are a more worthwhile use of my money.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm just not "snooty" enough to browse these forums every day.

MadeTheSwitch
Jun 6, 2012, 02:03 PM
I am ALSO grandfathered into the $25 fee because they upped it to $35 last year but for now people with the plan already get the older price. I have a feeling that will change. And I bet it won't be transferrable to a new model so whatever they end up charging will probably be what we have to pay even if we were grandfathered.

It already DID change. Any of the phones coming out this summer are subject to the $35 plan. So in essence, the $25 plan will be eliminated eventually through attrition because eventually everyone upgrades to something.

I'd say it's pretty likely that the iPhone will be subject to an even higher plan amount, but we shall see. I do worry about a flood of new customers coming in to take advantage of a cheap iPhone plan though. Voice coverage on VM is pretty good, but data is another story entirely. It's slow slow slow. And if you go to an area congested with lots of people, good luck.

BiggAW
Jun 6, 2012, 07:25 PM
You're a baseless Sprint basher. :rolleyes: Give it a break.

This is the native Sprint network:

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Know_what_coverage_to_expect_with_older_singleband_phones_or_plans_that_dont_include_roaming/case-gz982789-20110302-115929

If you travel outside that, fine, stick with AT&T or Verizon. It makes sense for you. I travel often, even in some rural areas of PA. Sprint's network is fine for most people. I have Verizon now, but honestly in the mid-Atlantic region, Verizon is not noticeably better and Sprint is miles ahead of T-Mobile.

I'm just stating the facts. Like I said, I have recommended VM before, but with fully disclosing the severe limitations of coverage that come along with it. If you get VM, you have to be OK with not having service for days at a time while traveling, as a lot of places just don't have native Sprint.

Nabooly
Jun 6, 2012, 09:13 PM
I had a BB with Virgin. Coverage was great and the plan was cheap.

The only reason I left was the outsourced customer service that is tough to understand and communicate with. Not sure if they've changed it up....hopefully they have! VM has potential

twoodcc
Jun 6, 2012, 09:16 PM
now this sounds great! hopefully they'll announce something soon!

macbookflasher
Jun 8, 2012, 12:20 PM
THIS is just awesome . and would proved beneficial .

Jasoco
Jun 18, 2012, 07:26 PM
I had a BB with Virgin. Coverage was great and the plan was cheap.

The only reason I left was the outsourced customer service that is tough to understand and communicate with. Not sure if they've changed it up....hopefully they have! VM has potential
I never dealt with their customer service since I never needed. When I got my first phone I activated online. When I switched to a new one, Radio Shack took care of it in 10 minutes for me and let me leave the store already using the phone.

I can't wait to buy my iPhone 4S. My Optimus V gets more and more terrible every day. Literally. It's like it's purposely trying to become a stereotype. Freezes, reboots, app crashing, overheating, and constantly bugging me to update the built-in shovelware I never use. Cannot WAIT to get rid of this one. Here, Virgin. I have my $650 ready to go. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Will we be able to actually buy the phone on the 29th, or is that just an order date? What stores will I be able to actually walk into on the 29th and buy it? Better question, what store do I want to give my business to?

Edit: Sorry, didn't meant to bump such a slightly old topic. Even though I think it was still on the first page.

Pukey
Jun 23, 2012, 04:23 PM

The 1% has spoken...

andylaiphoto
Jun 24, 2012, 01:09 PM

This remark is baseless.

andylaiphoto
Jun 24, 2012, 01:12 PM

Plans start at $30/month.