PDA

View Full Version : Apple Pulls Mac Pro Stocks from Most Retail Stores Ahead of WWDC

MacRumors
Jun 5, 2012, 03:49 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/05/apple-pulls-mac-pro-stocks-from-most-retail-stores-ahead-of-wwdc/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/mac_pro_2010_side_top_half-150x97.jpg

In-store availability for the Mac Pro has long been spotty at Apple's retail locations, making it difficult to read too much into any apparent shortages as hints of future updates. But MacRumors has learned that Apple began recalling Mac Pro stocks from its retail stores several weeks ago, with retail store staff having been instructed to inform customers that they may still order the machines online.

A quick survey of roughly 100 U.S. Apple retail stores for availability of the entry-level stock Mac Pro model shows that nearly all of them are indeed out of stock for in-store pickup, although we did find four California stores and one Texas store with machines available for immediate pickup.

Projected availability dates for orders placed online today vary significantly, with some stores citing availability on June 8 or 9 while others would not be able to offer a Mac Pro for pickup until June 12 or 13. Apple's keynote address at its Worldwide Developers Conference takes place next Monday, June 11.

Apple has been rumored to be updating nearly all of its Mac products (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/04/apple-to-update-nearly-entire-mac-lineup-at-wwdc/) next week, although it remains unclear whether the Mac Pro will be included in the mass rollout. The Mac Pro was last updated in July 2010, and new Xeon E5 processor options to provide a substantial upgrade to the line are now available.

Separately, we've heard that Apple is holding a secret "overnight" for staff at its retail stores on June 12, with employees being kept in the dark about the focus of the session. A separate overnight session to be held tonight was highlighted (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/30/apple_stores_busy_with_secretive_activity_ahead_of_wwdc_keynote.html) last week, but we've heard that tonight's session is simply a routine rearranging of sales floor content.

Article Link: Apple Pulls Mac Pro Stocks from Most Retail Stores Ahead of WWDC (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/05/apple-pulls-mac-pro-stocks-from-most-retail-stores-ahead-of-wwdc/)

Feed Me
Jun 5, 2012, 03:50 PM
She's dead, Jim.

SvK
Jun 5, 2012, 03:51 PM
or very much alive

charlieegan3
Jun 5, 2012, 03:51 PM
It's dead.

if that was the case wouldn't they want to sell the remaining few?

geniusmac
Jun 5, 2012, 03:52 PM
They've been doing this for a while now. I actually posted a thread on the forum. I know people at my local Apple Store and they told me they've been doing it for a while now. I gave up and picked up a refurb Mac Pro.

gpat
This is going to make us either very happy or very sad.

daneoni
Hopefully there's a redesign. Its one of the oldest Apple designs to-date.

pprior
I have hope again!

Feed Me
Jun 5, 2012, 03:53 PM

Sell em online

smallnshort247
Jun 5, 2012, 03:53 PM
Keeping fingers crossed.

StuAff
Jun 5, 2012, 03:54 PM

Indeed. Definitely hoping it's option one, as I'll be one of the first in line if they actually launch a new MP.

Kaibelf
Jun 5, 2012, 03:55 PM

Not necessarily. Apple tends to choke off a little remaining stock rather than sell through to avoid having someone buy something only to have it be rendered obsolete the next week by a refresh. It's smart business.

lifeguard90
So keynote monday, but then have to wait more time for more overnights.. Lame

iMikeT
I laugh in the face of Death, bwhahahahaha!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

MovieCutter
Jun 5, 2012, 03:56 PM
Looks like she's got some life left in her yet...where's my credit card?

Stetrain
With the session for Apple Store employees being held on June 12, it makes sense that the updated Macs will probably be available in stores starting on the 13th or later.

Diode
Dual 8 core chips capable of 32 threads would make for a nice, albeit, pricey box....

nsfw
Not necessarily. Apple tends to choke off a little remaining stock rather than sell through to avoid having someone buy something only to have it be rendered obsolete the next week by a refresh. It's smart business.

From what I understand they will get put in the white refurb boxes and sold soon online at the apple refurb stores at a small discount.

mrr
Jun 5, 2012, 03:57 PM
I have a lab containing twenty - 3 year old Mac Pros that I will update immediately once a new Mac Pro is announced.

Bring it on!

Amazing Iceman
Make room for the new Mac Pro! :D

wiz329
Finally, all these ridiculous "the Mac Pro is DEAD" rumors will be put to rest.

nuckinfutz
If it was dead they'd have pulled the floor models people.

Porco
The Mac Pro is dead...

Long live 'the New Mac Pro'! :D

ChrisTX
Jun 5, 2012, 03:59 PM
Here they come!!!:D

NAG
Finally, all these "the Mac Pro is DEAD" rumors will be put to rest.

Be prepared to be disappointed.

wildmac
or very much alive

My vote is dead, at least in it's current form. They haven't pulled stock like this before that I remember.

I'm hoping we get a mac Mini + in it's place, as I hate the thought of an iMac as my main rig.

It will be an ironic sad day when all my consumer devices are Apple, and my desktop computer is a PC.

gglockner
Apple is long overdue for a high-end desktop machine. I frankly am willing to go with a 6-core iMac or an updated Mac Pro. I just want something that is Sandy/Ivy Bridge and at least 6 cores.

Take my money, please!

ArtOfWarfare

How much of a redesign could they really do with it, though?

Unless they want to shrink it into something easier to carry? (But the Mac Mini already fulfills this roll...)

q64ceo
Please, Apple, please, stay away from nVidia.

ECUpirate44
Jun 5, 2012, 04:01 PM
Just for the heck of it, I called my local Apple store and they said they were out of everything except the quadcore and her system was showing they were getting new stock in on 6/13....

Edit: Just had two stores confirm the same thing over the phone.

topmounter
Jun 5, 2012, 04:01 PM
I predicted this moment would come on a local BBS in 1983.

paradox00
Jun 5, 2012, 04:03 PM
My vote is dead, at least in it's current form. They haven't pulled stock like this before that I remember.

I'm hoping we get a mac Mini + in it's place, as I hate the thought of an iMac as my main rig.

It will be an ironic sad day when all my consumer devices are Apple, and my desktop computer is a PC.

If it was dead, they wouldn't be listing availability after the keynote. A new form factor is possible though.

RoelJuun
Jun 5, 2012, 04:03 PM
Please, Apple, please, stay away from nVidia.

Please, Apple, please give us nVidia with CUDA for professional software.

Yamcha
Jun 5, 2012, 04:04 PM
I haven't been this excited in a while, can't wait till WWDC!! I really hope we a see a redesign for the Mac Pro.. Not that it doesn't look amazing already..

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 5, 2012, 04:05 PM
I hope Apple pushes the envelope in the pro market.

Think blade servers + Mac Mini + Thunderbolt

lifeguard90
Jun 5, 2012, 04:06 PM
With the session for Apple Store employees being held on June 12, it makes sense that the updated Macs will probably be available in stores starting on the 13th or later.

That sucks. More waiting. New models should be up after wwdc keynote . Nt days or weeks more. Wtf

Drew n macs
Jun 5, 2012, 04:06 PM
With thunder bolt ports and potential can we do a way with mac pros and just have some type of adapter box with even a gpu card built in?

with that said whats the advantage of a mac pro?

olowott
Jun 5, 2012, 04:07 PM
This is it!! :o ............fingers crossed, a wee prayer and about 5 more days before its answered

daneoni

Unless they want to shrink it into something easier to carry? (But the Mac Mini already fulfills this roll...)

Shrinking it down, further improve airflow, rearrangement of internals etc

Right now its a utilitarian 9yr old design. Theres no real flaw in it but it could do with some 'sprucing' up.

charlituna
She's dead, Jim.

Or it might mean that they have decided that since the Mac Pro doesn't sell hand over fist why waste limited stockroom space on it. Especially since many folks that buy one are probably wanting to customize it anyway and much of that likely requires ordering online, particularly if you want the upper core models.

rmwebs
Jun 5, 2012, 04:09 PM

They could redesign the handles, everytime you pick one of these beasts up it slices your fingers apart!

I think if its a redesign it'll be around the same height/depth, but basically it'll be half the width with the superdrive vertically positioned.

marcusj0015
Jun 5, 2012, 04:09 PM
Looks like there will be a Mac Pro update, hopefully they keep it up to date from now on.

zimv20
Jun 5, 2012, 04:10 PM

TB doesn't have the same throughput as an onboard pci card. for those of us recording bands, that throughput is really important for low-latency monitoring.

ValSalva
I don't believe the Mac Pro is anywhere near dead.

However I think the Mac Pro's days in the Apple retail stores is over. It's a truck after all :rolleyes:

Cougarcat
It's not dead. Jim Dalrymple (http://www.marco.org/2012/05/30/amplified-9) said it's not, and he has sources.

QCassidy352
If they were killing it, why not pull the floor models and take it off the website? You'd want to pull it quickly, quietly, and completely. Makes more sense to me that it's a refresh. Just guessing.

NAG
Jun 5, 2012, 04:11 PM
They could redesign the handles, everytime you pick one of these beasts up it slices your fingers apart!

I think if its a redesign it'll be around the same height/depth, but basically it'll be half the width with the superdrive vertically positioned.

I would not be surprised if the optical drive is a casualty in Apple's war on anything that isn't an SSD.

Ryth
Jun 5, 2012, 04:11 PM

Superdrive is gone...both of them...that cut's off 3-4" of height.

I havent used the drives in my Mac Pro in ages...and I work in a Post House that does Blu-Ray/DVD even.

Mac Pro Tower Mini is coming.

charlituna
Jun 5, 2012, 04:12 PM
So keynote monday, but then have to wait more time for more overnights.. Lame

Not really. They do an overnight this week to move any tables etc. Monday they receive enough for at least the floor and have a team there to load any software and then rush them out to the floor where it's easy business to turn off the alarms, have one person grab the old ones and another put down the new ones, plug them in etc. A few swipes and taps to reset the iPad signs and done.

If they time it right they could have all the new stuff out by start of business on Tuesday.

Tinyluph
Jun 5, 2012, 04:12 PM

However I think the Mac Pro's days in the Apple retail stores is over. It's a truck after all :rolleyes:

They still have one on display at my store.

Winter Charm
Jun 5, 2012, 04:14 PM
:D It's alive!

I'll be grabbing one of the new ones as a server (I need the Raid + 4 Hard drive bays) YAY :D

auero
Jun 5, 2012, 04:15 PM
My store shows delivery for July 13th.

http://d.pr/i/KbOi

thedarkhalf
Jun 5, 2012, 04:16 PM
I'm praying for something "blade like".. Or at least a blade version. Very disappointed that the xServe was killed. Relying on a Mac Mini for servers is not the best option, not even by a long shot.

jontech
Jun 5, 2012, 04:16 PM
I've got my credit card ready, its in my hand

Excuses ready for wife...

Take it!

prowlmedia
Jun 5, 2012, 04:17 PM
Apple have to have a high end machine...Do you really think that they are going to just roll over and give that part of the business away to Microsoft?

An imac is a nice machine - but it's still using mobile Technology. The Mac pro's are magnitudes of times faster at rendering video / 3d etc.

Also they have to design the next generation of iDevices / iMac's etc.
Create 3D for the iOS games etc
Run Final Cut X - They only recently added RED support... that is only going to run on a high end MacPro

ObjectiveV
Jun 5, 2012, 04:18 PM
Incoming prosumer model: the "iTower" :p

Mad-B-One
Jun 5, 2012, 04:19 PM
...to either pull the plug on old machines and/or get some new ones in. Hopefully, the new one has some good components to base Hackintoshs on. Don't get me wrong: If I would have the money, I would buy the real thing but if I can build an as-powerfull-as-MacPro machine for less than half, I do rather that. Private use only anyways.

Ryth
Apple have to have a high end machine...Do you really think that they are going to just roll over and give that part of the business away to Microsoft?

An imac is a nice machine - but it's still using mobile Technology. The Mac pro's are magnitudes of times faster at rendering video / 3d etc.

Also they have to design the next generation of iDevices / iMac's etc.
Create 3D for the iOS games etc
Run Final Cut X - They only recently added RED support... that is only going to run on a high end MacPro

I think it's staying. I think you'll see something vastly different in design from them...with the advances in technology the last 4 years, and how the MacPro hasn't been updated in look in ages, something major is coming in design changes for it...most likely smaller, slimmer and sleeker along with some serious weight drop and probably more affordable.

NutsNGum
Jim Dellrimple

Not sure if serious..

ECUpirate44
Jun 5, 2012, 04:20 PM

I like you.

ValSalva
Jun 5, 2012, 04:21 PM
They still have one on display at my store.

Same at my store too. I still think its days there are numbered though.

2bikes
Jun 5, 2012, 04:22 PM
Here comes the retina display!!! Oh wait!! :p

Stridder44
Jun 5, 2012, 04:22 PM

Take your logic and get out of here ;)

Jun 5, 2012, 04:23 PM
Well, now that SJ is gone, I can ASSURE you that the fabled xMac is finally arriving:

- minitower design;
- two of three PCI slots;
- no monitor included.

gugy
Jun 5, 2012, 04:24 PM
NICE!!!!!!

I hope alongside new ACD displays with matte screens!!!:eek:

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2012, 04:25 PM
Well, now that SJ is gone, I can ASSURE you that the fabled xMac is finally arriving:

- minitower design;
- no monitor included.

I wish.

If so, bye-bye hackintosh for my next upgrade.

2bikes
Jun 5, 2012, 04:25 PM

If that is a truck, a rumored iTV would be? Bulldozer? :)

Porco
Jun 5, 2012, 04:28 PM
With thunder bolt ports and potential can we do a way with mac pros and just have some type of adapter box with even a gpu card built in?

Obviously the Mac Pro is not ideally suited for everyone, but off the top of my head...

Server/workstation-grade CPUs, multiple disks, multiple cards without needing over-priced cables that could get pulled out or knocked over, easier to secure in professional environments, high-end performance (i.e. > Mac Mini) with your own choice of display(s)...

Admittedly you can get around some of those things with thunderbolt, but not all of them, and not really in a way that Apple already provide for with their other machines. Like they could offer even higher-end CPUs for the Macbook Pros, or Minis or iMacs, but I don't think they will... they could say everything 's do-able via thunderbolt and people might say ... 'sure, but I don't want to have to think about all that... I want to stick it in the machine and have a Thunderbolt port or two free for if I need that, that's the whole point of a Mac Pro really, to have the ability to adapt later as per requirements, not buy a cobbled-together solution that is any kind of work-around.

That said, I think the option of the 'xMac' type prosumer minitower would be an awesome machine to have.

I have a 2010 Mac Pro, and am in no need of upgrading anytime soon, I just want the option to exist when it comes time to do so, and I'm sure there are people who have been hanging on for a new Mac Pro for ages.

Personally I don't think we'll see anything radical. USB 3.0, new CPUs/graphics cards, a couple of thunderbolt ports. That's all they need to do really.

Stetrain
Jun 5, 2012, 04:29 PM
That sucks. More waiting. New models should be up after wwdc keynote . Nt days or weeks more. Wtf

They'll probably be available online the same day as the keynote. This is talking about retail stores. If they shipped them to stores before the keynote there'd be a pretty big chance of information leaking.

mdntcallr
Jun 5, 2012, 04:32 PM
Superdrive is gone...both of them...that cut's off 3-4" of height.

I havent used the drives in my Mac Pro in ages...and I work in a Post House that does Blu-Ray/DVD even.

Mac Pro Tower Mini is coming.

people want the option of using BD or such media. in a pro machine it isn't time to do away with.

Having the bays to add your own... is a necessity for many people

Axemantitan
Jun 5, 2012, 04:33 PM

- minitower design;
- no monitor included.

And Blu-Ray?

NutsNGum
Jun 5, 2012, 04:34 PM

- minitower design;
- no monitor included.

You know, you raise an interesting point. I remember last year there was a rumour about a completely new Mac product being introduced. Maybe it could actually happen this time.

Glideslope
Will be 1/2 the size and more powerful. Bob and his engineers have been busy in the back room. Will run iOS 6 if you desire. :apple:

And Blu-Ray?

Nope.

NutsNGum
Jun 5, 2012, 04:35 PM
Very serious. Jim Dellrimple confirmed it (in his usual cryptic way) on last week's Amplified podcast (http://5by5.tv/amplified/9) on 5by5.tv. Jim has amazing Apple connections and confirms a lot of stuff with a simple "Yep" that is proven 100% accurate.

Sorry, I was referring to the spelling of his name.

Jun 5, 2012, 04:37 PM
You know, you raise an interesting point. I remember last year there was a rumour about a completely new Mac product being introduced. Maybe it could actually happen this time.

Not that I agree with Cook, but it's clear that SJ was adamant against an xMac and its cannibalizing potential, as well as its expandability (always a pet peeve for SJ).

Tim Cook has none of these prejudices as well as limited long-term vision compared to SJ - therefore, the xMac is finally coming.

Beardy man
Jun 5, 2012, 04:37 PM
I hope Apple pushes the envelope in the pro market.

Think blade servers + Mac Mini + Thunderbolt

I'm thinking how much I love my Mac Pro with 4 internal HDD + 1 SSD + 1 optical drive...and how much extra wiring I'd have if the case was smaller.

My set up runs cool and quite and is pretty much self contained. I appreciate the comments about the razor handles but as I don't move mine at all, it's not a problem for me. So, change the handles, change the internal layout but don't make it look "pretty" for the sake of it. I don't care how fast Thunderbolt gets, I don't want more cables, I want less - which apart from wireless power and monitor connections might be tricky ;-)

NY Guitarist
Jun 5, 2012, 04:39 PM
I guess I'll be the one to say it.

I hope Apple doesn't do a Mac Pro-X type of update like the FCPX update.

I'm down rating my own post too... lol

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2012, 04:40 PM
Very serious. Jim Dellrimple confirmed it (in his usual cryptic way) on last week's Amplified podcast (http://5by5.tv/amplified/9) on 5by5.tv. Jim has amazing Apple connections and confirms a lot of stuff with a simple "Yep" that is proven 100% accurate.

It's "Dalrymple," not "Dellrimple." That's what NutsNGum was pointing out.

NY Guitarist
Jun 5, 2012, 04:41 PM
It would be awesome if they slimmed down the Mac Pro.

Reduced the ridiculous number of spare drive bays, took out the optical drive and connectors for multiple graphics cards. They could really get the new Mac Pro down to a sensible size with an incredible new design that everyone will love and desire.

They also go way overkill on the memory slots. Does anybody really ever install 8xRAM boards in their Macs? 4 expansion slots should be good enough for everyone. Make the main board smaller and the entire Mac Pro can become a really beautiful slimline desktop machine for professionals.

I have a number of Mac Pro machines that have every HD bay, PCI slot and ram slot full.

I don't use the DVD drives (mine all have two installed) much these days.

jontech
Jun 5, 2012, 04:42 PM

Reduced the ridiculous number of spare drive bays, took out the optical drive and connectors for multiple graphics cards. They could really get the new Mac Pro down to a sensible size with an incredible new design that everyone will love and desire.

They also go way overkill on the memory slots. Does anybody really ever install 8xRAM boards in their Macs? 4 expansion slots should be good enough for everyone. Make the main board smaller and the entire Mac Pro can become a really beautiful slimline desktop machine for professionals.

I would like to see a smaller format too, though still with 4 drive bays for 2.5" and not 3.5". One Optical bay if any :)

EMT123
Jun 5, 2012, 04:44 PM
I have a lab containing twenty - 3 year old Mac Pros that I will update immediately once a new Mac Pro is announced.

Bring it on!

Do you have an evil lair on the moon?

Stetrain
Jun 5, 2012, 04:45 PM
9to5Mac has just posted model numbers for the new Mac Pro models:

but now, reliable sources are reporting that Apple will, in fact, unveil a new Mac Pro at WWDC next week.

Sources have also been able to provide some part numbers and prices to prove this:

MD770LL/A – K5BPLUS,BETTER, BTR-USA

MD771LL/A – K5BPLUS,BEST,BTR-USA

MD772LL/A – K5BPLUS,ULTIMATE,BTR-USA

The pricing is similar to current Mac Pro models.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/05/after-nearly-two-years-without-an-update-apple-to-finally-revamp-mac-pro-next-week/

JHankwitz
Jun 5, 2012, 04:45 PM

Like why? The Mac Pro is a workhorse not a stallion. Performance is everything, to heck with how it looks. I just hope it has at least two thunderbolt ports.

GREEN4U
Jun 5, 2012, 04:46 PM
some kid in China just took a picture of it and posted it:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg193/scaled.php?server=193&filename=macproi.png&res=landing

AntonWebern
Jun 5, 2012, 04:47 PM
They've been doing this for a while now. I actually posted a thread on the forum. I know people at my local Apple Store and they told me they've been doing it for a while now. I gave up and picked up a refurb Mac Pro.

I just did this too, it's still en route. I chose a 2008 3.0 GHz 8-core. I will be very sad if I could have only waited 2 more weeks for a brand new model.

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2012, 04:48 PM
Like why? The Mac Pro is a workhorse not a stallion. Performance is everything, to heck with how it looks. I just hope it has at least two thunderbolt ports.

Design ≠ how it looks.

Also, have you ever tried to carry it up several flights of stairs? The handles are brutal.

I just did this too, it's still en route. I chose a 2008 3.0 GHz 8-core. I will be very sad if I could have only waited 2 more weeks for a brand new model.

You're still in the 14-day return window.

nutmac
Jun 5, 2012, 04:49 PM

Not that I would be opposed to redesign, but the current Mac Pro design is old because it works remarkably well. Sure it's huge and heavy, but it runs extremely quiet, highly expandable, and easy to service.

Perhaps Mac Pro can use a bit of slimming if it loses optical drive and adopt 2.5" disks (boo! for cheap 3.5" disk lovers like me) and some cost reduction measure to bring the cost down, but I would be completely satisfied with the current design.

Stetrain
Jun 5, 2012, 04:49 PM

If you just ordered it, couldn't you return/exchange it if the new models are announced next week?

mirko.meschini
Jun 5, 2012, 04:50 PM
I hope for a slimmed down cheaper macpro with one e5 xeon (up to 8-core), 4 ram slots for up to 64gb (with 16gb modules), one mxm graphics card and many 2,5" sas/sata drives, usb3 and tb, without optical drive, and a small blade ssd for system. From 1299$, like old g4 powermacs!

Renzatic
Jun 5, 2012, 04:51 PM
Not that I agree with Cook, but it's clear that SJ was adamant against an xMac and its cannibalizing potential, as well as its expandability (always a pet peeve for SJ).

It must be great defending a guy who hated offering a specific product because it meant you wouldn't go out and buy another computer every two years instead of making cheaper, incremental updates to the one you already have.

Then again, we are talking about a group of people who celebrates a company mainly because they charge more for their computers than the competition. I dunno why this surprises me.

Ryth
Jun 5, 2012, 04:54 PM
people want the option of using BD or such media. in a pro machine it isn't time to do away with.

Having the bays to add your own... is a necessity for many people

Buy an external...

jrlcopy
Jun 5, 2012, 04:56 PM

The Grand Central, NY Apple Store has never even had a single mac pro on display. Hell they only have 1 mac mini and that's in the training area.

mabaker
Jun 5, 2012, 04:56 PM
New part numbers are out:

MD770LL/A K5BPLUS,BETTER, BTR-USA

MD771LL/A K5BPLUS,BEST,BTR-USA

MD772LL/A K5BPLUS,ULTIMATE,BTR-USA

Mac Pro lives.

AntonWebern
Jun 5, 2012, 04:58 PM
If you just ordered it, couldn't you return/exchange it if the new models are announced next week?

Ebay seller with a 20% restocking fee. So the net loss to return it with shipping and everything would be around $300. Worth it if a superior new machine is available in the same price range as the used machine.

NY Guitarist
Then again, we are talking about a group of people who celebrates a company mainly because they charge more for their computers than the competition. I dunno why this surprises me.

Seriously... get off your high horse. It's very unflattering.

Michael Scrip
Buy an external...

Exactly!

This isn't the first time Apple has removed an optical drive...

jaduffy108
Jun 5, 2012, 04:59 PM
She's dead, Jim.

Absolutely hysterical. Thank you. The many youngsters 'round here won't get it.

ArcaneDevice
Jun 5, 2012, 05:00 PM

They could redesign the handle by not actually having them protruding like that. It's a total waste of space to have those things sticking up. Making the top flat and having the handles as recesses would be much better. That way you can actually place external boxes on top of the unit.

I've moved my Mac Pro twice in as long as I can remember. Once you set those suckers down you don't want to carry them again.

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2012, 05:01 PM
Exactly!

This isn't the first time Apple has removed an optical drive...

That doesn't solve the problem of there being no Blu-Ray playback support in the OS.

prowlmedia
Jun 5, 2012, 05:04 PM

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/05/after-nearly-two-years-without-an-update-apple-to-finally-revamp-mac-pro-next-week/

Now this is a MacRumor I can get on board with.

ArcaneDevice
Jun 5, 2012, 05:06 PM

You have no idea what professionals want.

And if you think a Mac Pro is too large you obviously haven't seen many workstations. It might be heavy but it's still one of the smallest footprints out there.

ericinboston
Jun 5, 2012, 05:08 PM

In one hand, I find it very hard for Apple to continue selling a product that is for a very very very small niche use case and thus an audience would would buy it.

On the other hand, Apple may want to keep their ultra-Mac loyal fans happy. So why not keep it alive by throwing in a new CPU, some more RAM support, brag about Thunderbolt, and charge the normal crazy fee of $2500+ for the base model with no monitor and make a hefty profit/margin. Apple certainly has the time and money to "upgrade" the Pro...it wouldn't take much R&D work at all to throw a new motherboard/cpu into it.

I wish Apple would return to (in addition to the Macs they have), some quality boxes for around $700 including kb and mouse. The Mini is an ok desktop but it's barely upgradeable...it's designed to be very small and appeal to folks with small work space...and you need to spend another $150+ on a kb/mouse.

Feed Me
Jun 5, 2012, 05:09 PM

I'm 16.
Darn youngsters.

apolloa
Jun 5, 2012, 05:09 PM
The common sense approach to what WWDC will bring is obvious isn't it?

Lots of talk about iOS 6
Lot's of talk about the next OSX
The new MacBook PRO
The new Mac PRO

That's it, they will update the 'none' Pro models at other times, or they will give the iMac and the Mac Mini spec bumps.

But a new iPhone would be nice as I would buy one, although I will most likely want a new MB Pro at some point in time too :)

barkmonster
Jun 5, 2012, 05:11 PM
Barefeats did a few benchmark tests wIth the Promax One.

A system based on 2 x 3.1Ghz 8 core Sandybridge Xeons. This is what the high end Mac Pro should be. 16 RAM slots, 6 x 3.5" 6Gb/s SATA bays, 4 x 2.5" 6Gb/s SATA bays, 6 PCI-e slots... If the Mac Pro has half those drive bays and RAM slots with a single 8 core at the low end with various configurations inbetween and redesigned drive bays it would be fantastic for a lot of people.

sigmadog
Jun 5, 2012, 05:22 PM
I'm always amused by comments whining about "Apple's outrageously high-priced" pro-level workstations.

In 1992, my first Mac was a IIfx. It had a 40MHz Motorola processor, with (I think) about 20Mb RAM. It cost me $10,000.

Now, the base pro-model is orders of magnitude more powerful, for a quarter of the price.

Bah! Kids these days.

laurim
Jun 5, 2012, 05:23 PM
Does anybody really ever install 8xRAM boards in their Macs? 4 expansion slots should be good enough for everyone. Make the main board smaller and the entire Mac Pro can become a really beautiful slimline desktop machine for professionals.

Um yeah, all my ram slots, drive bays and several pci slots are filled on my 2008 Mac Pro. PROFESSIONALS need all that power and capacity.

sunspot42
Jun 5, 2012, 05:23 PM
I'm betting either they won't change the form factor much at all - just a spec bump - or they'll go wild and replace it with a blade-like device and an optional external Thunderbolt cage for extra drives, graphics cards and whatnot.

Although to support all of that would require that the blade-like MacPro sport multiple external Tbolt ports, and that the cage be capable of accepting multiple incoming and outgiong Tbolt connections. Pricey, although arguably a more flexible and elegant solution than forcing everyone to buy a ginormous box if all they're really after is CPU / graphics power.

AJClayton
Jun 5, 2012, 05:24 PM
I've got a 2006 model Pro - one of the original Mac Pro 1,1's. It's been a solid, reliable machine and part of the reason for that is that I've been able to throw more RAM and HD's in there as I've needed them. It's only in the last few months that I've realised that software and OS updates mean that this faithful box is nearing end of life (e.g. CS6). I doubt an iMac would've lasted this long.

I understand that Mountain Lion requires your machine to boot in to a 64-bit Kernel, something early Mac Pro's can't do despite having a 64-bit CPU. This is reason enough for me to consider upgrading.

Anyway - the bottom line here is BRING IT ON!!!! I was seriously starting to worry that the Mac Pro was dead. Dare I believe that a new one is on the way?

My credit card is ready and I'm already preparing excuse number 42 for 'er indoors. ;)

Michael Scrip
Jun 5, 2012, 05:25 PM
That doesn't solve the problem of there being no Blu-Ray playback support in the OS.

I was mainly talking about DVD drives.

The Macbook Air doesn't have a DVD drive... and I bet Apple will continue the trend in future models. You can always get an external DVD drive if you must have one... which is what I was referring to.

But yeah... Macs have never had Blu-Ray support. How do Mac users handle the lack of Blu-Ray?

Or would you say the #1 reason people buy Windows machines is because of Blu-Ray?

prowlmedia
Jun 5, 2012, 05:25 PM

What purpose would that serve? I only have a small office and it's still smaller than my AV Receiver

Not getting the point of the MacPro are you.. I use all 4 drive bays and have added 2 SDD's in one of the optical spaces...
Using this (http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=158&ParentCat=315)

They also go way overkill on the memory slots. Does anybody really ever install 8xRAM boards in their Macs? 4 expansion slots should be good enough for everyone.

All Filled. 32GB Ram - after effects needs 2GB min per Thread... the current 12 cores run dual threaded... so need 48gb ram.

Make the main board smaller and the entire Mac Pro can become a really beautiful slimline desktop machine for professionals.

A mac Cube? :)

SBlue1
Jun 5, 2012, 05:27 PM
Lets hope they keep the great design.

AZREOSpecialist
Jun 5, 2012, 05:27 PM

What floor models? Not one retail Apple Store in the greater Phoenix area even has a Mac Pro on the floor. At the retail Apple Store, the Mac Pro has not existed for a few years now.

prowlmedia
Jun 5, 2012, 05:36 PM
I was mainly talking about DVD drives.

The Macbook Air doesn't have a DVD drive... and I bet Apple will continue the trend in future models. You can always get an external DVD drive if you must have one... which is what I was referring to.

But yeah... Macs have never had Blu-Ray support. How do Mac users handle the lack of Blu-Ray?

Or would you say the #1 reason people buy Windows machines is because of Blu-Ray?

OK I love bluray quality... but it also needs a large screen... a bit pointless on 27" or less. It's a dead format of course - all opticals are. would much rather have a thinner machine or bigger battery.

I've used my DVD drive in my 2008 macbook about twice. And I think that was to install 10.6, and an old printer driver I couldn't find online. A USB stick/SD card with 16gb now cost about $8 and is way more useful than a DVD.

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2012, 05:43 PM

Personally, I use Bootcamp. Windows DVD/Bluray software is awful, though.

Umbongo
Jun 5, 2012, 05:43 PM
Lets hope they keep the great design.

Why? It's actually an odd form factor now. Th Mac Pro's small size compared to other towers limits the full potential of Intel's platform. The current/old Mac Pros have limitations in cooling, memory expansion, internal storage and internal expansion cards. With memory slots, storage needs and PCI-E lanes all increasing with the C600 series chipsets a small Mac Pro enclosure just means limited features over other workstations.

apolloa
Jun 5, 2012, 05:44 PM
Another theory is what if they gave the Mac Pro flash storage for boot up!! I mean we think the new MB Pro's will get it, so imagine dual Xeons and flash! I think they really need to up the graphics options too big time.
And retina cinema display's?

aaarrrgggh
Jun 5, 2012, 05:45 PM
If I had to make up a wish list (for a product I would never actually buy), I would hope for more of a tower server construction, with (4) hot-swap drive bays, redundant power supplies, and plenty of space for expansion.

It is a shame they don't have a product that can be used as a server today.

3ndriago
Jun 5, 2012, 05:53 PM
They might want to use the same cases with updated board, processor, etc.

jonnysods
Jun 5, 2012, 05:58 PM
Poor Mac Pro. Finally!

zorinlynx
Jun 5, 2012, 06:07 PM
What floor models? Not one retail Apple Store in the greater Phoenix area even has a Mac Pro on the floor. At the retail Apple Store, the Mac Pro has not existed for a few years now.

I was just at the Lincoln Road Apple Store (Miami Beach, FL) this past weekend, and they had a Mac Pro there.

And this is Miami Beach, which is tourist-central, the last place you'd expect to find a good market for a professional level workstation that you ain't gonna be carrying onto the plane home!

Colpeas
Jun 5, 2012, 06:12 PM

Yes, one of the oldest, but also one of the most beautiful IT designs ever IMHO.

twigman08
Jun 5, 2012, 06:16 PM

I know of two Apple stores in my area that have a Mac Pro on the floor. Just because the Apple stores in your area don't doesn't mean that the others around the country/world won't either.

that1guyy
Jun 5, 2012, 06:20 PM
Hallelujah! New Mac Pros confirmed

anthony11
Jun 5, 2012, 06:22 PM

I'll speculate that either

A) They're swapping newer CPU's into the existing units, if by some miracle Intel has gone for more than a week without changing to an incompatible socket

and/or

B) They're dumping them through MacMall et al who seem to push superseded models for a while after new ones come out

Umbongo
Jun 5, 2012, 06:22 PM
I'll speculate that either

A) They're swapping newer CPU's into the existing units, if by some miracle Intel has gone for more than a week without changing to an incompatible socket

and/or

B) They're dumping them through MacMall et al who seem to push superseded models for a while after new ones come out

Well it isn't A, they have never done that and it would make no sense to financially or logistically.

Dangerous Theory
Jun 5, 2012, 06:29 PM
I'm always amused by comments whining about "Apple's outrageously high-priced" pro-level workstations.

In 1992, my first Mac was a IIfx. It had a 40MHz Motorola processor, with (I think) about 20Mb RAM. It cost me $10,000.

Now, the base pro-model is orders of magnitude more powerful, for a quarter of the price.

Bah! Kids these days.

And that's without mentioning about 65% inflation since then...crazy, eh.

Glideslope
Jun 5, 2012, 06:33 PM
You have no idea what professionals want.

And if you think a Mac Pro is too large you obviously haven't seen many workstations. It might be heavy but it's still one of the smallest footprints out there.

Heavy? A Liquid Metal Case would be light, and, "Investing Heavily"? :apple:

Axemantitan
Jun 5, 2012, 06:33 PM

That article claims two new sizes for the iMac. If that is the case, then they may be redesigning the Apple Cinema Display, because it is essentially the same display as the 27-inch iMac in a different package. I'm sure that this was design for production efficiency (using the same thing for two products), so it stands to reason that with a new iMac will come a new ACD.

anthony11
Jun 5, 2012, 06:34 PM
They could redesign the handle by not actually having them protruding like that. It's a total waste of space to have those things sticking up.
What would you do with that whopping 1.5" of extra space? It's already low enough to fit under any normal desk.
Making the top flat and having the handles as recesses would be much better. That way you can actually place external boxes on top of the unit.
The top is already flat, and nothing stops one from placing stuff there.

anthony11
Jun 5, 2012, 06:38 PM
Well it isn't A, they have never done that
Um, if companies never did something they'd never done before, we would have no products at all. Think about it.
and it would make no sense to financially or logistically.
Compared to landfilling old units it would make lots of sense.

gohanmzt
Jun 5, 2012, 06:39 PM
I wish.

If so, bye-bye hackintosh for my next upgrade.

Me too.

ArcaneDevice
Jun 5, 2012, 06:41 PM
What would you do with that whopping 1.5" of extra space? It's already low enough to fit under any normal desk.

The top is already flat, and nothing stops one from placing stuff there.

Semantic arguments and your workspace is not validation. Give me an ergonomic reason to have two giant handles vs an entirely flush design or one where the handles can be pulled out from the surface on the few occasions they are transported.

Breakout boxes and external bays come in all sizes and with forward facing ports. You obviously don't use them so the redundant handles don't get in your way.

Stetrain
Jun 5, 2012, 06:43 PM
That article claims two new sizes for the iMac. If that is the case, then they may be redesigning the Apple Cinema Display, because it is essentially the same display as the 27-inch iMac in a different package. I'm sure that this was design for production efficiency (using the same thing for two products), so it stands to reason that with a new iMac will come a new ACD.

It says new iMacs in two screen sizes, not two new screen sizes. That doesn't rule out that they're keeping the 21.5" and 27" sizes.

MacinDoc
Jun 5, 2012, 07:02 PM
She's dead, Jim.
Breaks into rousing chorus of "Klingons Off the Starboard Bow/Star Trekkin"...

Axemantitan
Jun 5, 2012, 07:07 PM

There is no Apple software with BRD support, but VLC 2.0 does support BRD.

----------

Don't be condescending. You honestly think that we've never seen Star Trek? Really?

Michael Scrip
Jun 5, 2012, 07:11 PM
There is no Apple software with BRD support, but VLC 2.0 does support BRD.

Ah ha! So there is a way!

Wild-Bill
Jun 5, 2012, 07:17 PM
Here's hoping the design doesn't change much (if at all) from its current form.

And here's really hoping that the AMD 7970 is one of the video card options

And here's really really hoping that a dual hex-core is one of the options, as the 8-core Xeons are mucho expensive.

lordonuthin
Jun 5, 2012, 07:26 PM
I hope they keep the same design but with internals updated for 1 DVD and a bunch of 2.5 inch drives with 2/3 slots for badly needed GPU upgrades. And of course USB 3 etc.

Most servers/towers now utilize 2.5 inch drives so they can get more of them packed inside. That would mean you could get a bunch of SSD's stuffed in there.

too bad I will have to wait to get one :(

Umbongo
Jun 5, 2012, 07:30 PM
Um, if companies never did something they'd never done before, we would have no products at all. Think about it.

Fine, you are completely incorrect. That better? Apple are not recalling their existing Mac Pros so that they can rip the insides out and put new ones in before next week. Good lord.

Compared to landfilling old units it would make lots of sense.

Apple don't landfill their old units, they sell them through their refurb store and continue to make a profit on them.

aliensporebomb
Jun 5, 2012, 07:36 PM
I really want this but I keep picturing this happening:

Voice from offstage: "Today we have Jony Ive to discuss the new Mac Pro with you. Jony, take it away".

Jony: I bet you never expected to see THIS! (stabs original tower design with large knife).

(getting serious) but really.....the main reason we're all here is the new Mac Pro.

(lifts veil off small object on table) - it's an original iPod 5 GB.

Jony: Gotcha again! I kill me!

G51989
Jun 5, 2012, 07:47 PM

This is fail on so many levels.

Lets see, I don't use a Mac Pro for work ( but I am getting the new one, because I can :D ) , but I could EASILY fill up every single one of those drive bays no problem, hell my workstation has MORE bays and its already half full.

There are people who need and use those bays. People who use those optical drives.

I want more than one graphics card, my current workstation has four. SLI or CrossFireX in the Mac Pro would be great.

Overkill on the memory slots? My workstation has 18 Ram Slots, all of which are taken up.

Sensible size? its a workstation. Its a tool. not a all looks and no go iMac or Mac mini. Size does not matter.

This isn't a computer for the user at home, this is for a user who wants the power, the expansion, options, and tons of ports, slots, easy to upgrade, all that stuff.

SpyderBite
Jun 5, 2012, 07:49 PM
I never understood why Mac Pros were stocked in stores at all. They can be ordered for personal pickup inside of two days. And it isn't like you see 4 or 5 Mac Pros being carried out of even the busiest locations on any given day.

JazzyGB1
Jun 5, 2012, 07:56 PM
The biggest problem with the current Mac Pro is the price - that's the biggest change they need to make to it IMO.
I've owned Apple Towers since the charcoal G4's and this is by far the most expensive Towers there have ever been.
It used to be that even the 'non pro' could afford a tower if they wanted the expandability and flexibility a tower offered, but that simply isn't the case now. An entry entry level unit was circa 1300 and even a Quad core Mac Pro was only 1399 in 2006.
Now they start from 2041 and that's simply too much money for many.
By pricing it so high Apple have effectively made the desktop a 'niche' product, which it never used to be.
I'm not a 'pro' but I love my Mac Pro and am a 'serious hobbyist' who does music and video and love that I have 8TB of storage in it and a Blu ray writer without any external kit attached to it.
In music, earth hum is a pain in the arse, so the less power supplies there are to contend with the better!
The Mac Pro is perfect for me even as a 'non pro'. it's very quiet, easy to upgrade and allows me to attached TWO screens of my choice.
The Apple tower used to be the choice of the professional and aspiring pro/serious hobbyist (like me), or those who simply wanted the extra grunt.
Now however many potential purchasers are being forced by the price to go for an iMac instead, which is a real shame.
I hope as much as anyone that New Mac pro's are announced, but they need to reduce the cost of the entry level model, otherwise their days will really be numbered and it wont be because people don't want them, it'll be simply that they can't afford them. Make them the right price and even the 'non pro' can become a customer again.
come on Apple!

G51989
Jun 5, 2012, 07:59 PM
Semantic arguments and your workspace is not validation. Give me an ergonomic reason to have two giant handles vs an entirely flush design or one where the handles can be pulled out from the surface on the few occasions they are transported.

Breakout boxes and external bays come in all sizes and with forward facing ports. You obviously don't use them so the redundant handles don't get in your way.

Alright, having owned 3 PowerMac G5s ( and buying the new Mac Pro ). Which are about the same weight wise.

These computers weigh almost 50 pounds, sometimes even more when you stuff them full of heavy hard drives.

I like having handles. My GAMEPC Gaming PC weighs about 40 pounds, I'm glad it has a handle when I lug it to a big LAN Party.

My workstation at work has recessed handles in the front and back. and I'm glad. Because it weighs a ton ( about 72 pounds )

sunspot42
Jun 5, 2012, 08:05 PM
The biggest problem with the current Mac Pro is the price - that's the biggest change they need to make to it IMO.

The only way they'll get the cost down is if they release it in a slimline case without all the internal drive bays (and the massive power supply). Which with Thunderbolt might actually make sense. People who need all the expansion bays could buy an external Tbolt cage, one that could hold up to a dozen drives and still be smaller than the existing Mac Pro case.

It would also allow the new slimline main unit to double as a rackmountable blade server, helping Apple to replace the Xserve without supporting a dedicated server form factor.

I doubt Apple will go this way...but it's possible.

ohbrilliance
Jun 5, 2012, 08:22 PM
Looks like she's got some life left in her yet...where's my credit card?

I have it.

MovieCutter
Jun 5, 2012, 09:13 PM
I have it.

You paying the balance after next week too?

senseless
Jun 5, 2012, 09:28 PM

Bah! Kids these days.

I remember that $10,000 price tag seemed crazy high, especially in 1992 dollars. I opted for an SI model at a mere $3000.

scottwaugh
Jun 5, 2012, 09:53 PM
She's dead, Jim.

Thanks for that, I was laughing hard....gotta know Trek from the 60's to really appreciate that quote.

That said, it looks like new Mac Pro part numbers have leaked out and I've been waiting, hoping so long for a new one.

So the current Mac Pro is on its way to the pasture, but with a tweaking of the dilithium crystals and a refit of the warp core she'll be good as new by the time Tuesday the 12th rolls around.

MacinDoc
Jun 5, 2012, 09:58 PM
I've owned Apple Towers since the charcoal G4's and this is by far the most expensive Towers there have ever been.
As others have mentioned, it's nothing like the price of a Mac II or Mac IIFx when they came out.

scottwaugh
Jun 5, 2012, 10:12 PM
I've got my credit card ready, its in my hand

Take it!

Right, can't update old model we have to latest OS X Mountain Lion that is coming and it will stop getting security updates honey (never mind that doesn't happen for another OS release)...we need this to be safe...

Gotcha, I'm all ready too (boy what an upgrade in performance this is going to be from the old ones).

JazzyGB1
Jun 5, 2012, 10:39 PM
As others have mentioned, it's nothing like the price of a Mac II or Mac IIFx when they came out.

That's totally irrelevant.
The current Mac Pro uses 2010 technology.
Computers usually get cheaper, not more expensive.
The current base model Mac Pro is 700 more than the Mac Pro model introduced in 2006 - that's despite the design of the computer only being slightly amended over the last 4 years.

If Apple can do a Quad core i7 3.4Ghz 27" iMac for 1800, then surely they can do a Mac Pro, that does not have the cost of 27" hi resolution display, iSight, a built in Mic or Thundebolt for less than its current price of 2041.

By keeping the price of the Mac Pro so high, it creates a self fulfilling prophecy of 'no one wants a tower anymore' which is of course complete nonsense.
I want one and I'm prepared to pay a little more for it, but the current price of 2041 for a quad core with less RAM (3GB) than on the cheapest iMac is ridiculous.

A new entry level Mac Pro needs a 500 price drop to be a success, otherwise Apple really are limiting their sales to the 'pros'.

MacBook Pro's are purchased by EVERYONE, not just the 'pros' and until the price hikes, so were Mac Pro's too.

AntonWebern
Jun 6, 2012, 01:39 AM
Right, can't update old model we have to latest OS X Mountain Lion that is coming and it will stop getting security updates honey (never mind that doesn't happen for another OS release)...we need this to be safe...

Gotcha, I'm all ready too (boy what an upgrade in performance this is going to be from the old ones).

I like my excuse better, "honey we need this because I will kick and scream like child until I have it." It's best not to get too technical about the details.

IamMarcoPolo
Jun 6, 2012, 01:47 AM
so let me get this straight, i guess its only going to be a mac pro we see at WWDC no imacs or mac book pro's?

this is very dissapointing for the remaining 99% of us

Blue Sun
Jun 6, 2012, 01:52 AM
so let me get this straight, i guess its only going to be a mac pro we see at WWDC no imacs or mac book pro's?

The Mac Pro hasn't been updated for almost 2 years (680 days). I'm pretty sure the iMac and MBP saw updates last year, try not to feel too disappointed.

Besides, who's to say Apple won't update them all?

MacinDoc
Jun 6, 2012, 02:06 AM
That's totally irrelevant.
The current Mac Pro uses 2010 technology.
Computers usually get cheaper, not more expensive.
The current base model Mac Pro is 700 more than the Mac Pro model introduced in 2006 - that's despite the design of the computer only being slightly amended over the last 4 years.

If Apple can do a Quad core i7 3.4Ghz 27" iMac for 1800, then surely they can do a Mac Pro, that does not have the cost of 27" hi resolution display, iSight, a built in Mic or Thundebolt for less than its current price of 2041.

By keeping the price of the Mac Pro so high, it creates a self fulfilling prophecy of 'no one wants a tower anymore' which is of course complete nonsense.
I want one and I'm prepared to pay a little more for it, but the current price of 2041 for a quad core with less RAM (3GB) than on the cheapest iMac is ridiculous.

A new entry level Mac Pro needs a 500 price drop to be a success, otherwise Apple really are limiting their sales to the 'pros'.

MacBook Pro's are purchased by EVERYONE, not just the 'pros' and until the price hikes, so were Mac Pro's too.
How is it irrelevant? I was responding to the claim that the current Mac Pros were "the most expensive towers ever". They aren't even the most expensive towers available today (for example, this one (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF06b/12454-12454-296719-4270224-4270224-5225041-5257306.html?dnr=1)), and far from the most expensive ever. Even before inflation. Yes, computers on the whole have come down in price over time, but this is generally not the case with Apple computers, which usually get upgraded performance instead of price cuts.

Now this is not to say that the current Mac Pros are well priced for what they are. When they were introduced, they were priced fairly competitively, but in spite of not having hardware updates for nearly two years, the only price change was a small drop in the price of RAM upgrades (which are still way more than third party offerings).

Keep in mind that Mac Pros are built with server grade components, so you must compare them with other server-grade computers, not with consumer-grade computers.

I think what you're looking for is a consumer-grade minitower. Unfortunately, Apple currently makes no such product, though many of us would be lining up to buy them if Apple ever decided to pursue this form factor again.

Michael Scrip
Jun 6, 2012, 02:23 AM

We just found out about this Mac Pro rumor today.

There have been other rumors that say Apple will announce MacBook Pros with Ivy Bridge and other updates.

I'd sit tight and wait.

sn1p3r845
Jun 6, 2012, 02:24 AM
Keep in mind that Mac Pros are built with server grade components, so you must compare them with other server-grade computers, not with consumer-grade computers.

Exactly.

Intel Xeon =/= Intel i7

Server grade components are much better parts than consumer, because they are meant to handle large stress loads.

----------

We are the 1%.

barkmonster
Jun 6, 2012, 02:32 AM
It used to be that even the 'non pro' could afford a tower if they wanted the expandability and flexibility a tower offered, but that simply isn't the case now. An entry entry level unit was circa 1300 and even a Quad core Mac Pro was only 1399 in 2006.
Now they start from 2041 and that's simply too much money for many.
By pricing it so high Apple have effectively made the desktop a 'niche' product, which it never used to be.
I'm not a 'pro' but I love my Mac Pro and am a 'serious hobbyist' who does music and video and love that I have 8TB of storage in it and a Blu ray writer without any external kit attached to it.
In music, earth hum is a pain in the arse, so the less power supplies there are to contend with the better!
The Mac Pro is perfect for me even as a 'non pro'. it's very quiet, easy to upgrade and allows me to attached TWO screens of my choice.
The Apple tower used to be the choice of the professional and aspiring pro/serious hobbyist (like me), or those who simply wanted the extra grunt.
Now however many potential purchasers are being forced by the price to go for an iMac instead, which is a real shame.
I hope as much as anyone that New Mac pro's are announced, but they need to reduce the cost of the entry level model, otherwise their days will really be numbered and it wont be because people don't want them, it'll be simply that they can't afford them. Make them the right price and even the 'non pro' can become a customer again.
come on Apple!

I couldn't agree more. I use my G4 for Pro Tools LE and have almost every PCI slot filled with expansion cards, every drive bay full with an external USB drives for backup. My next Mac will be a used Mac Mini simply because it gives me more power than I have now and I can use it as a media centre while I save for something more suitable which will likely be a used Mac Pro if those prices don't come down at the low end. They could continue offering a lower end CPU model with a new motherboard design, lower end graphics and limited RAM and quite easily get a system down to 1299 or less at the low end. It's all down to how much profit they want to gouge their customers for. I'd love a system with 1 SSD for recording to, a 6Gb/s SSD for streaming software synth libraries, a large RAID 1 config of regular 3.5" drives for general storage/internal backup and 120gb+ 6Gb/s SSD for the system drive.

mabaker
Jun 6, 2012, 03:17 AM
Unbelievable. Now that it's confirmed that it's not being canceled people are ARGUING abut the PRICE! :rolleyes:

rmwebs
Jun 6, 2012, 03:46 AM

Still dont see the point in adding it myself. I'd much rather have digital copies, optical media is dead as far as I'm concerned, there's simply no reason to have it anymore.

24Frames
Jun 6, 2012, 03:59 AM

Sorry where did you get that idea from?

\-V-/
Jun 6, 2012, 04:01 AM
Unbelievable. Now that it's confirmed that it's not being canceled people are ARGUING abut the PRICE! :rolleyes:

People in forums inevitably want to find something to argue about. Some people also can't ever be pleased.

vmachiel
Jun 6, 2012, 04:03 AM
Just got up and read this:) Happy

24Frames
Jun 6, 2012, 04:04 AM
Prices are likely to go up, although not by a huge amount. Both the likely CPUs candidates from Intel and the GPUs from NVidia / AMD are more expensive than those found in the 2010 Mac Pros.

In the workstation market Apples main competitors are HP and Dell. The new Dell Precision workstations look very interesting. The price points are quite high once configured.

AppliedMicro
Jun 6, 2012, 04:24 AM
Why not replace/pull of their updated models at the same time (next week?)?

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple stopped showcasing the Mac Pro altogether. They already did so in their recent store designs for European Premium Reseller locations.

barkmonster
Jun 6, 2012, 04:27 AM

Sorry money bags but not everyone has 2000 to drop on a computer and the Mac Pro range has steadily increased in price throughout it's life time, despite the lowering cost of all it's components and the 6 year old motherboard and case design!

For example, from a third party such as Crucial, 8Gb for the 2006 Mac Pro is over 240, 12Gb for the current range is 96 and bearing in mind Apple are still using the old motherboard design leaving 1 out of every 4 RAM slots redundant on certain CPU configurations that need triple channel RAM and they ship these beasts with a pitiful 1Gb per RAM slot for over 2000!

Also, it's not unreasonable that when they moved to the Intel platform, they maintained a low end, expandable system for hobbyists and budget conscious companies. There was a build to order 2Ghz Mac Pro at 1399 for just this reason.

I know people looking for a Mac Pro can always buy a used system but the addition of Thunderbolt and Core i5/i7 CPUs on their Mac Mini range has given people faster, far cheaper options in certain circumstances.

Even going the used route has it's failings because any pre 2010 Mac Pro with only 4 cores is slower than even the entry level Mac Mini from a raw CPU power point of view and when it can be expanded to 16Gb for 120 and a lightning fast 6Gb/s SSD can be fitted internally for around that too including the cost of a tool kit to work inside the system, you're still spending under 800 for a system with better I/O.

Sure, if you needed PCIe expansion, it comes close to 1700 if you add the Sonnet Xmac but then you've still got faster I/O for your drives, a lot more RAM for your applications and nearly 350 left over and given the fact the Mac Mini could work out of the box without adding all the extra RAM and drives etc... and still be over 2 3rds the speed of the 2.8Ghz Mac Pro, it's not surprising that people are wanting a Mac Pro at a lower price point because it's a false economy at it's present spec.

charlieegan3
Jun 6, 2012, 05:13 AM
They might want to use the same cases with updated board, processor, etc.

what? so you think they would take apart old computers?

Tailpike1153
Jun 6, 2012, 07:53 AM
You know the funny thing. I was trying to play R.E.M.'s "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" my old iPod. I started reading the thread and then my iPod died. Then I read the thread and recharged my iPod. Looks like things could be getting better.

Thunderhawks
Jun 6, 2012, 09:18 AM

How old are you that you can't wait for something that you lived your entire life without?

devinci99
Jun 6, 2012, 09:28 AM
If Apple stop making the Mac Pro's what are their engineers going to use to design, develop MacOS, iOS, and other software?

I know Macbook Pro's are pretty powerful, but come on!

I don't see Tim Cook telling his staff of engineers to use Hackintosh, Dells, HPs, or Linux!

Regardless of whether or not they market and sell such systems, Apple still needs something in the likes of Mac Pro or more powerful to power their own servers, data centers, etc. so they can eat their own cooking.

Windows, Linux, and other platforms exist in labs where they test interoperability.

sn1p3r845
Jun 6, 2012, 09:47 AM
Sorry money bags but not everyone has 2000 to drop on a computer and the Mac Pro range has steadily increased in price throughout it's life time, despite the lowering cost of all it's components and the 6 year old motherboard and case design!

if you can't afford the mac pro, then you're probably not a pro and making money with it...

The mac pro can be easily paid off with a month of work. I'm not saying you're not a "pro" but most of the guys here rely on the machine to do their tasks everyday. It's worth it.

aliensporebomb
Jun 6, 2012, 10:09 AM
I was just at the Lincoln Road Apple Store (Miami Beach, FL) this past weekend, and they had a Mac Pro there.

And this is Miami Beach, which is tourist-central, the last place you'd expect to find a good market for a professional level workstation that you ain't gonna be carrying onto the plane home!

I've been in that store numerous times since my bro-in-law and his wife have a place like 2 blocks away. It's always packed and I've seen that Mac Pro. So yeah.....

prowlmedia
Jun 6, 2012, 10:16 AM
I think it's staying. I think you'll see something vastly different in design from them...with the advances in technology the last 4 years, and how the MacPro hasn't been updated in look in ages, something major is coming in design changes for it...most likely smaller, slimmer and sleeker along with some serious weight drop and probably more affordable.

Towers all still look the same.

Why would it need to be slimmer/sleeker - The design is still very functional.

Weight... Mines mover about 3 times in 4years. They are workstations... they tend to stay in the same place.

Affordable... don't count on it... :) BUT as always the entry prices are always very similar to a Dell / HP workstation. ( much as gamers protest they can build a PC version that will smoke a mac pro - it can't in pro apps... )

And well my 2008 Macpro is incredibly fast with SSD's 48gb memory and a 2gb hacked PC 285GTX. and stil worth over 1200 with a basic spec - a similar DELL on ebay... 400 ( but that's a good render machine :) )

JazzyGB1
Jun 6, 2012, 10:25 AM
How is it irrelevant? I was responding to the claim that the current Mac Pros were "the most expensive towers ever". They aren't even the most expensive towers available today (for example, this one (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF06b/12454-12454-296719-4270224-4270224-5225041-5257306.html?dnr=1)), and far from the most expensive ever. Even before inflation. Yes, computers on the whole have come down in price over time, but this is generally not the case with Apple computers, which usually get upgraded performance instead of price cuts.

Apologies for not making myself clear, but I was referring only to APPLE towers!
The Mac IIFx was made 22 years ago when most professional computers were niche and expensive and they were desktops...not towers.
22 years is a lifetime in technology. Even the internet was in its infancy back then and that's what I mean about it being irrelevant - you simply cannot compare then to now.
The current Mac Pro's ARE the most expensive Apple Towers to date - certainly since the Apple tower started becoming main stream (circa G3's).
I've owned every Apple tower since the G4, but unless they drop the price significantly, my current Mac Pro is likely to be my last (new) one.
The first quad core 2.66 Mac Pro introduced in 2006 used server grade components too and that was available from 1349.00 - 700 less than the current entry level quad core Mac Pro. That's more than a 50% price increase in 4 years which is absolutely scandalous IMO!
The claim often made now is that 'people don't want or need a tower anymore', but the truth is Apple have made them prohibitively expensive to many potential purchasers.
So for some it's not a question of not wanting one, it's a question of not affording one.
When I bought my wife a Bondi blue G3 iMac 400 in 1999 it cost 999, the same price as the current entry level iMac.
My G4 tower (350mhz) Purchased around the same time cost 1199.
The cost of the entry level tower now is 2041, so it's price has almost doubled, but the price of the entry level iMac has remained almost the same.
That's what I mean about it being the most expensive Tower ever.
Apple seem to have purposely marginalised the Mac Pro by making it the preserve only of the business buyer or the very wealthy.
This was not the case with previous tower Macs - not even with the original Mac Pro.
I accept that it is their flagship and aimed at 'Pro's' but Apple towers were often used by the 'non pro' too.
Its current price point forces many who wish to use Apple product to an iMac, when some (like me) would much rather have the desktop.
I don't mind paying a little more for that (I always have), but the current premium is just too much IMO.
If the next Mac Pro is over 2000, it's simply beyond the purchasing abilities of many (like me) who wish to own one. :(

ogh
Jun 6, 2012, 10:51 AM
If the price and performance is similar to that of HP Z820, a new Mac Pro is a good alternative. A new design would be fine, but the most important thing for me is the number of memory slots. It should be able to handle at least 256GB RAM, preferably more.

nuckinfutz
Jun 6, 2012, 11:01 AM
Why not replace/pull of their updated models at the same time (next week?)?

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple stopped showcasing the Mac Pro altogether. They already did so in their recent store designs for European Premium Reseller locations.

Because they're huge and take up a lot of warehouse space

JazzyGB1
Jun 6, 2012, 11:13 AM
Well the good news is it looks almost certain that we're getting a new range of Mac Pro's :)
Some part numbers have been leaked (see macrumors front page), the bad news is the price looks the same :(
Be interesting to see if it's a radical new design or just a processor bump.
Roll on WWDC! :)

barkmonster
Jun 6, 2012, 11:29 AM
if you can't afford the mac pro, then you're probably not a pro and making money with it...

The mac pro can be easily paid off with a month of work. I'm not saying you're not a "pro" but most of the guys here rely on the machine to do their tasks everyday. It's worth it.

The "You're not a Pro. Buy something you can afford" arguement is invalid because Apple USED to have distinct entry level price points for their fully expandable systems in the G3 to G5 days.

Even when the Mac Pro came out, hobbyists who NEED to be able to upgrade their system to get several years use out of it were only catered for if they had nearly 1400.

It's not unreasonable to expect 4 or 5 years out of a system between upgrades if you're on a budget but it is unreasonable to expect someone to save 400 a year between upgrades when all the while component capacity and CPU power increases while price points simply fluctuate around the cost of the highest capacity/performance in the range of each component.

I could wait till the used prices of 6 and 8 core Mac Pros come down and buy one at a price point that suits me but it's the fact I have to buy used not new that's the issue.

I'd lose any advantage of having an emerging standard like Thunderbolt, I'd be limited to SATA 3Gb/s or a combination of that limitation with an expensive PCIe based SSD in place of a single 6Gb/s. Not to mention the increased power efficiency with each model.

A 2006 Mac Pro with a 4 core/4 thread CPU and 32bit EFI uses 950watts, only offers SATA 3Gb/s, RAM costs a fortune and it only offers around 4800 geekbench points of power.

A 2011 Mac Mini is cheaper brand new than a used Mac Pro, has a 2 core/4 thread CPU, a future-proof 64bit EFI, uses only 85watts, offers SATA 6Gb/s, RAM is so cheap, it's 120 vs over 480 for the equivalent Mac Pro RAM and it's faster too with a geekbench score of around 5800!

TallManNY
Jun 6, 2012, 12:30 PM

Not a chance. Apple dominates the high end PC segment. They aren't just walking away from it because they are bored. And Apple isn't going to shrink itself into just consumer devices even though those sell in higher volumes. They will continue to make the Mac Pro if only so that Ivy and the other high level geeks in the company can continue to use a smoking hot machine when at work. The Mini and the Mac Pro will live on. And so will at least two flavors of laptop.

cvaldes
Jun 6, 2012, 03:08 PM
Correct.

Apple owns something like 90% of the >$1000 PC marketplace.

Cristian123
Jun 6, 2012, 03:20 PM
This is great, though when I did a test order in the DC area I saw that most of the stores still had them stock while a few said June 12. Anyway...

It would make sense to get some hype on the Mac Pro ahead of the iMac because they could pick up some more consumers on Mac Pro hype but its doubtful that pros will move over to iMac. Surely there will be an entry level MP in the 2k range for the people who can't yet afford to go full hog for a new tower, box, hub, whatever you want to call it, but still want high end performance and expandability.

As for me, I will spend 8k on the suped up version of this thing the second it comes out, plus sign me up for all the new gadgets, and a new airport base station to create my home cloud, and I will continue to tell all my friends how cool Apple is. Apple will be better off as a result, because I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one like me, and I'm pretty sure that's how Apple got where it is. So why not continue a winning formula?

To think I was within days of switching everything to Windows.

TallManNY
Jun 6, 2012, 04:17 PM
I read this on Daring Fireball:
Gartner Report: Apple Turns Over Its Inventory Once Every Five Days ★
Alexis Madrigal:

So a typical company in manufacturing might do 8 inventory turns. Samsung does 17. Dell, which practically invented hardcore electronics supply chain management, does 36. Apple is doing 74!

Tim Cook is doing OK

So with Apple turning over its inventory every five days, it wouldn't have much in the way of stockpile to make the switch to the new Macs. That is why the shortfalls are so close to the release date of the new devices.

I don't know if I will ever go Pro. The closest I get to needing that kind of power is in gaming. When I do a little video encoding, which is rare, I can just walk away from the computer for a little while. It is no big deal since we are talking about a home movie from a vacation and nothing time critical. But speed is nice for everything so I sometimes think about it.

But not this year or next year. My iMac is doing just fine.

zorinlynx
Jun 6, 2012, 04:52 PM
I've been in that store numerous times since my bro-in-law and his wife have a place like 2 blocks away. It's always packed and I've seen that Mac Pro. So yeah.....

Damn, they're lucky. I'd love to live in that neighborhood, but the commute would destroy my sanity in short order, no matter how many awesome days at the beach result!

iSayuSay
Jun 7, 2012, 12:06 AM
I dont mind a basic MacPro with i7 and standard RAM for $2000. Yeah .. the long dreamed xMac. Please no more iMac as the only consumer desktop (Mac Mini is not a real performing desktop). I had terrible times with it.

Sean4000
Jun 7, 2012, 02:07 AM
Confirmed pulled at the Lakeside Shopping center store in Metairie Louisiana.

Come on monday, It's time for me to upgrade a few of my MacPro 1,1's.

there is life all over the computer world. New releases coming from ubuntu, sidefx, blender, gimp, microsoft, apple, oracle, and even sgi!

amorya
Jun 7, 2012, 06:07 AM
If Apple stop making the Mac Pro's what are their engineers going to use to design, develop MacOS, iOS, and other software?

I know Macbook Pro's are pretty powerful, but come on!

I don't see Tim Cook telling his staff of engineers to use Hackintosh, Dells, HPs, or Linux!

iMacs. They make pretty sweet development machines. I have one on my desk right now, fitted out with lots of RAM and an extra SSD.

Software developers aren't the target audience for Mac Pros really. They don't need the expansion capabilities, and the powerful processors are only useful if you're constantly building on your own machine rather than using a build server. It's graphics and video professionals that need the Pro, along with some scientific applications.

linuxcooldude
Jun 7, 2012, 08:23 AM
Finally, all these ridiculous "the Mac Pro is DEAD" rumors will be put to rest.

Or rather see you next year with the same "They don't care about Pro's / The Mac Pro is dead" threads.

twoodcc
Jun 8, 2012, 12:54 AM
looking forward to that redesigned mac pro, even if i can't afford it right now

kindaobsessed
Jun 11, 2012, 03:22 PM
I purchased a MBA 2 weeks ago at best buy, as a silver rewards member I have 45 day to return, I am wanting to go back to MBP as i cannot stand the aluminum framing around the screen, I like the black glass better. I plan on returning MBA for MBP new line, in the past how long before Best Buys see these on the inventory?