PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro to Finally See Updates Next Week

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 5, 2012, 05:00 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/05/mac-pro-to-finally-see-updates-next-week/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/Used_Mac_Pro_2.8GHz_Two_Quad_Core_Xeon_Apple_MA970LLA.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/Used_Mac_Pro_2.8GHz_Two_Quad_Core_Xeon_Apple_MA970LLA.jpg)Shortly after word (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/05/apple-pulls-mac-pro-stocks-from-most-retail-stores-ahead-of-wwdc/) that Apple had pulled Mac Pro stock from their retail stores, 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/05/after-nearly-two-years-without-an-update-apple-to-finally-revamp-mac-pro-next-week/) has been able to track down new retail part numbers for Mac Pro updates that they believe to be due next week. MD770LL/A - K5BPLUS,BETTER, BTR-USA
MD771LL/A - K5BPLUS,BEST,BTR-USA
MD772LL/A - K5BPLUS,ULTIMATE,BTR-USAPricing is said to be "similar to current Mac Pro models". The new models come in three configurations: two standard versions and a third with OS X Server.

We had long been tracking the possible Intel chips that could find their way into the new Mac Pros. It wasn't until March, 2012 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/01/mac-pro-update-now-possible-with-new-xeon-e5-chips-next-week/) that Intel had released new Xeon E5 chips that Apple could use to upgrade their long-stagnant professional tower. The Mac Pro was last updated almost two years ago (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro) in July 2010. Apple had been said (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/31/apple-questioning-the-future-of-its-mac-pro-line/) to be questioning the future of the Mac Pro line, given diminishing market appeal for the processional tower.

Apple will be holding the Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC) next week and is rumored to be making other Mac hardware introductions.

Article Link: Mac Pro to Finally See Updates Next Week (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/05/mac-pro-to-finally-see-updates-next-week/)

sazivad
Jun 5, 2012, 05:02 PM
This should satisfy most people.

haphadon
Can't wait till the 11th to see what exactly they have in them! This is great!

Metal Dice
Damn! This seriously made my day.

ZacNicholson
So excited!!

smallnshort247
Things are looking up!

GSPice
Thank you.

GREEN4U
Jun 5, 2012, 05:03 PM
some kid in China just took a picture of it and posted it:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg193/scaled.php?server=193&filename=macproi.png&res=landing

chaosbringer
After millions of years..

polaris20
Apple also needs to just let go and let companies virtualize OS X Server on VMWare vSphere and Citrix XenServer. Not everyone needs dedicated machines for servers anymore, especially for the tasks that run on OS X Server.

AxiomaticRubric
About damn time!!!

olowott
I Believe this rumour with all my heart:)

Finally, GREAT NEWS:D

Bahamut Eos
My Face When:

rnizlek
This is great news.

dscuber9000
Man, people have been asking for this since before I joined this site several years ago. :D

Illusion986
Jun 5, 2012, 05:04 PM
Thats great news, as there will be a lot less whining now on MR. Exciting!

newyorksole
Jun 5, 2012, 05:04 PM
I wonder if they're gonna change the look.

praetorian909
Jun 5, 2012, 05:05 PM
Wow....I can't believe it. Glad to see the Mac Pro lives on!

NewbieCanada
Jun 5, 2012, 05:05 PM

If those names remain, you're going to have to change your sig to something like "When saying something is "the best," be sure to make it clear that you are talking about a Mac Pro model"

I wonder if they're gonna change the look.

Can't imagine them NOT changing the look.

I8P'CS
Jun 5, 2012, 05:06 PM
Get in!! picking one of these BAD BOYS UP on Day one!! Finally the long wait is over

GSPice
Jun 5, 2012, 05:06 PM
My Face When:

Freakin win.

wickerman1893
Jun 5, 2012, 05:07 PM
I can't wait! Getting one of these new machines for college!

Ve3tro
I knew if would happen. :D

a1016neo
9to5Mac seems to be on a roll lately with all these rumors... :o

Feed Me

Image (http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg193/scaled.php?server=193&filename=macproi.png&res=landing)

Best post I've seen all month

q64ceo
Jun 5, 2012, 05:08 PM
I know there hasnt been any parts leaked that would indicate a redesign. The Mac Pro case is getting a bit dated. Its still an awesome design, no doubt, but its time for something more sexy.

GSPice
Finally no more of this

http://asset2.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/04/06/new_320x240.jpg

Photics
A NEW CHEESE GRATER?! :eek:

Onimusha370
Jun 5, 2012, 05:09 PM
can't wait :)

samxool
Jun 5, 2012, 05:09 PM
ugh, why are they wasting their time updating this out of date relic!
Steve Jobs must be turning in his grave that they've not yet killed off the mac pro.

Face it, they are not needed any more.
Everything you ever need you can do on an ipad.
If you can't do it on an ipad, then its not worth doing.
Epic Apple fail!!:mad:

stefmesman
Jun 5, 2012, 05:10 PM
Thank god! This is hopefully a confirmation apple will not drop the ball on the higher end professional user. Please apple be more transparant to the business user. I so hope this is true

Drew n macs
Jun 5, 2012, 05:10 PM
light at the end of the tunnel...

NRLucas
Jun 5, 2012, 05:11 PM
Thank God finally! My PowerMac G5 is on its last legs and I anticipated updates last year so I waited. Haven't been able to justify getting one until they get updated so maybe next week will be the week I finally get a new machine!

Illusion986
Steve Jobs must be turning in his grave that they've not yet killed off the mac pro.

Hahaha you are brave! :)

gugy
great news,
I hope along some nice updates for Cinema Displays, with larger resolution and sizes. Oh, I forgot, Matte option please!!!!!!!:D

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2012, 05:12 PM
Not sure why the MR article omitted the most interesting part of 9to5Mac's report:

In early 2011, we reported on some of the work that Apple engineers had been prototyping up for a future version of Apple’s Pro desktop line. For that report, sources said that Apple had been experimenting with a new Mac Pro design that is rackable and stackable. These prototype machines also included space for more storage drives, an important feature now that the Xserve has been long discontinued. With a year having passed since we heard about these prototype Mac Pros and the ability of Thunderbolt to offload a lot of the expandability, the final new Mac Pro designs could be different than the current designs but we haven’t yet heard definitively either way.

highdefw
Thank the apple gods.

ECUpirate44
Blueray support across the Mac line please!

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 5, 2012, 05:13 PM
It's too bad Steve never lived to see them.

Compile 'em all
Jun 5, 2012, 05:15 PM
Finally no more of this

Image (http://asset2.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/04/06/new_320x240.jpg)

This deserves another quote. :D

efktd
Jun 5, 2012, 05:20 PM
Hallelujah!!!! :D

filmantopia

Fingers crossed for return of the floppy disc!

polaris20
Not sure why the MR article omitted the most interesting part of 9to5Mac's report:

It would be interesting to see a Mac Pro in a rackmountable design, with perhaps the choice of 7.2K or 10K SAS drives, as well as SSD in a 2.5" form factor. Oh wait, that'd be a server. :D

auero
Jun 5, 2012, 05:21 PM
I can't wait.

charlituna
Jun 5, 2012, 05:21 PM

the whining won't stop. Now instead of it being "why haven't they done something with the Mac Pro" whining it will be

"what no redesign on that tired old case"
" still only 4GB of RAM"
"no blu-ray WTF?"
" You call that a GPU?"

etc whining

bungiefan89
Jun 5, 2012, 05:22 PM
Oh, NO!

This is TERRIBLE news for tablet-totint-tweens who insist all computers should be able to fit in their lunchbox and have "apps" and be used for just dicking around instead of actual work! *sarcasm*

Blue Sun
Jun 5, 2012, 05:22 PM
About time, been waiting a year for this :)

Cannot wait till next week!

P.S it will be interesting to see how thunderbolt is implemented...

charlituna
Jun 5, 2012, 05:23 PM
I know there hasnt been any parts leaked that would indicate a redesign. The Mac Pro case is getting a bit dated. Its still an awesome design, no doubt, but its time for something more sexy.

then you will be thrilled cause Apple is doing a complete redesign and it is soooo sexy.

That's right, its the return of the sexiest Mac evah.

http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Technology/Apple/G4Cube_2.jpg

kevkevykev
Jun 5, 2012, 05:23 PM
Absolutely extatic with this news! This is my first pro purchase (audio post work / composer) and i'm over the moon Apple haven't forgot this incredibly important (no matter how small) section of its business!

Seriously happy for everyone that the pro matters to! :-)

charlituna
Jun 5, 2012, 05:24 PM

just because he didn't live to see the release doesn't mean he didn't live to see the machines. Remember this stuff doesn't happen over night

bungiefan89
Jun 5, 2012, 05:25 PM
Thank god! This is hopefully a confirmation apple will not drop the ball on the higher end professional user. Please apple be more transparant to the business user. I so hope this is trueI'd be very surprised if they did drop professional users. Macs have for YEARS been the gold standard for professionals and they practically ushered in the era of graphics design. It would be almost unthinkable for them to stop supporting professionals, the success of the iPads and iPhones notwithstanding.

Peace
Wow....I can't believe it. Glad to see the Mac Pro lives on!

I can't wait! Getting one of these new machines for college!

I knew if would happen. :D

can't wait :)

Thank god! This is hopefully a confirmation apple will not drop the ball on the higher end professional user. Please apple be more transparant to the business user. I so hope this is true

Hallelujah!!!! :D

I can't wait.

Apple would never forget the Mac Pro. It's just taken a while to make it right.

fredoviola
happy happy camper here! Can't wait!!!!!

Bistroengine
Jun 5, 2012, 05:26 PM
Thank God. I thought I was gonna have to buy a PC next. :eek:

ValSalva
Jun 5, 2012, 05:26 PM
the whining won't stop. Now instead of it being "why haven't they done something with the Mac Pro" whining it will be

" still only 4GB of RAM"
"no blu-ray WTF?"
" You call that a GPU?"

etc whining

Too true ;)

I think the fact Apple is removing the old Mac Pros from retail stores either means they are no longer going to be in the Apple retail stores or goes towards confirming it being a new design.

I don't mind barely any RAM in the Mac Pro. I hate paying exorbitant prices for Apple memory. I'd rather pay for as little RAM as possible from Apple and get most or all of it from other retailers, i.e. OWC.

bungiefan89
Jun 5, 2012, 05:27 PM

Image (http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg193/scaled.php?server=193&filename=macproi.png&res=landing)Oh, God! I lol'd so hard! xD

Ryox
Don't leave the pro market behind Apple, you need us as much as we need you.

Hope this is true.

charlituna
I'd be very surprised if they did drop professional users. Macs have for YEARS been the gold standard for professionals and they practically ushered in the era of graphics design. It would be almost unthinkable for them to stop supporting professionals, the success of the iPads and iPhones notwithstanding.

Define 'drop' because Apple has dropped the pro user in one sense. That sense being THE group they focus on when they are making design decisions. They have even admitted that they no longer ask "what do the Pros want/need" as their question to answer. Now it's all about the consumers and on a rare occasion prosumer. They leave open ways to add on with software plugins etc for those Pros but if it comes down to including something just cause the Pros might want it, well 99.9% of the time that will be a no.

Some of you won't like that notion but its been the writing on the wall for ages. From cutting Xserve and Shake even to how they dropped FCX in favor of making the baseline FCPX more prosumer friendly.

steveOooo
Jun 5, 2012, 05:28 PM

LOOOOOOL x infinity +1

Troll-tactic

Try edimg 3-4 streams of Apple Pro Ress 422 HQ in final cut on an iPad- well you could - just store your iPad on top of your mac pro.

iDabble
Jun 5, 2012, 05:28 PM
and off to craigslist goes my imac

SBlue1
Jun 5, 2012, 05:29 PM
How many days till the keynote? Can't wait.... :D

fredoviola
Jun 5, 2012, 05:30 PM
LOOOOOOL x infinity +1

Troll-tactic

Try edimg 3-4 streams of Apple Pro Ress 422 HQ in final cut on an iPad- well you could - just store your iPad on top of your mac pro.

I'm quite sure they were kidding!

sigmadog
Jun 5, 2012, 05:31 PM
At last! Set your credit cards to "Stun"!

charlituna
Jun 5, 2012, 05:31 PM
Don't leave the pro market behind Apple, you need us as much as we need you.

Or they don't. It's a numbers game and frankly Apple probably makes as much profit off the consumers and prosumers as they do the pros. In fact I would say they make 3-4 times as much profit between the pro class being much smaller and less likely to update their machines every 3 years to the lower margins on what the Pros do buy when they buy.

And when you add that many of those pro customers are now buying what was before considered 'consumer class' machines like iMac and Mac Mini Servers.

bungiefan89
Jun 5, 2012, 05:32 PM
Define 'drop' because Apple has dropped the pro user in one sense. That sense being THE group they focus on when they are making design decisions. They have even admitted that they no longer ask "what do the Pros want/need" as their question to answer. Now it's all about the consumers and on a rare occasion prosumer. They leave open ways to add on with software plugins etc for those Pros but if it comes down to including something just cause the Pros might want it, well 99.9% of the time that will be a no.Don't be so sure of that. They're supporting things like Thunderbolt technology, which admittedly is extremely expensive and very professional-oriented hardware.

And the Mac Pro: a very high-end tower computer that runs Mac OS X and will likely thrum with power coursing through multiple thunderbolt and USB 3.0 cables all over the place is a VERY expensive machine that very few average consumers will buy. It's a professional machine, and they still cater to professionals on at least some levels. :)

cecildk9999
Jun 5, 2012, 05:34 PM
Or a giant sigh of relief over this announcement. Although, the mac rumors of late seem a little underwhelming vs. the speculation of earlier this month. I'm still hoping for a redesigned line of MBPs with retina display and slimmer form factor, but I'll be upgrading my 2006 machine regardless.

jontech
Jun 5, 2012, 05:34 PM
I just did my Mac Pro Dance

With credit card in hand, saying GIMME GIMME GIMME!

MacFly123
Jun 5, 2012, 05:35 PM
thank you tim!!! :d

kiwiboi87
Jun 5, 2012, 05:35 PM

hell to the yeah!
i want Blueray on a MBP,
if they did offer it i would jump on it right away

Lone Deranger
Jun 5, 2012, 05:37 PM
then you will be thrilled cause Apple is doing a complete redesign and it is soooo sexy.

Image (http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Technology/Apple/G4Cube_2.jpg)

Yes!! But a cube made out of Gorilla glass please (instead of Acrylic). Don’t care if it’ll weigh a ton. I’d buy that in a second. :D

Back on topic… Professionals rejoice! LONG LIVE THE MAC PRO!

RebelScum
Jun 5, 2012, 05:37 PM
If you think any company is going to drop a product they can get away with charging almost $6000 for, you're dreaming.

This is great news. Now, about that imac...

MacSince1990
Jun 5, 2012, 05:39 PM
"Processional tower"

Other than that, woo! Exciting :)

marcusj0015
Yessssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!

lostngone
1.21 Gigawatts???

How could we have been so foolish!!!!

I hope this sucker has quad flux capacitors in it.

JDorrian
Jun 5, 2012, 05:40 PM
fap

tdmartin102
Jun 5, 2012, 05:41 PM
I found out last week that my old Mac Pro won't run Mountain Lion. I find out today that there WILL be a refresh! OMG. I went from very sad, to very happy. nice :)

cr2
Jun 5, 2012, 05:41 PM
I am happy for the folks who were waiting for it. I wish I had some spare $$ to buy this. I would get rid of HP desktop running Linux and replace with this...

I can't imagine doing serious computing on any other machine.

Freyqq
Jun 5, 2012, 05:42 PM
Don't be so sure of that. They're supporting things like Thunderbolt technology, which admittedly is extremely expensive and very professional-oriented hardware.

And the Mac Pro: a very high-end tower computer that runs Mac OS X and will likely thrum with power coursing through multiple thunderbolt and USB 3.0 cables all over the place is a VERY expensive machine that very few average consumers will buy. It's a professional machine, and they still cater to professionals on at least some levels. :)

That is a great point. Apple is trying to drive sales of thunderbolt devices and only pros would bother to pay the premium for thunderbolt devices at the moment...especially with the release of USB 3.

highdefw
Or they don't. It's a numbers game and frankly Apple probably makes as much profit off the consumers and prosumers as they do the pros. In fact I would say they make 3-4 times as much profit between the pro class being much smaller and less likely to update their machines every 3 years to the lower margins on what the Pros do buy when they buy.

And when you add that many of those pro customers are now buying what was before considered 'consumer class' machines like iMac and Mac Mini Servers.

Not necessarily. As technology progresses, so does the demand for higher end work in post. There is no such thing as too much power in the tv/film industry. Instead of working at just 2K on the high-end 6 years ago, we now process images over 6K in Stereo for some shows. And look at visual effects, render times for a film like transformers DOTM took up to 280 hours per frame. Those times will continue to be pushed so long as expectations continue to grow

MacinDoc
Apple had been said (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/31/apple-questioning-the-future-of-its-mac-pro-line/) to be questioning the future of the Mac Pro line, given diminishing market appeal for the processional tower.[/url]
I would also question the need for a "processional tower". Most computer towers I have seen have been intended to be stationary for the most part. Maybe Apple thinks that people will so excited after the long wait for an update that we'll organize a parade?

Seriously, though, I do remember rumors several years ago about a potential modular redesign to the Mac Pro. I think such an idea could have a lot of potential - imagine shoebox-sized modules that each had an 8 core processor and 2 drive bays, along with a high-speed interlink. In less space than is occupied by the current Mac Pros, you could have 32 cores and 8 drive bays, enough for a good RAID array while still having room for an SSD (for the OS and apps) and a SuperDrive (or if we're really dreaming, a Blu-Ray burner :roll eyes: ). Or for a much lower price, a single module could be used as a micro tower that could be hooked up to your choice of external display.

Unfortunately, I think I am getting ahead of myself (and Apple) here. But a guy can dream, can't he?

Edit: it looks like Apple may be aiming for a 3U form factor rackable form factor. These would be slightly smaller than the current form factor, and would have 2 stackable drives per sled, for a maximum of 8 drives per unit. They would likely have have up to two 8-core processors per unit.

Lone Deranger
Jun 5, 2012, 05:43 PM
MD770LL/A – K5BPLUS,BETTER, BTR-USA
MD771LL/A – K5BPLUS,BEST,BTR-USA
MD772LL/A – K5BPLUS,ULTIMATE,BTR-USA

Better, Best, Ultimate…? Sounds like Dell marketing talk… nonetheless, Apple, I’ll take one Ultimate please! :)

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 05:45 PM
Yesssssssss << This was originally all-caps, but it looks like MR blocks that.
Finally getting my Mac Pro! The 2008 one that is.

----------

I found out last week that my old Mac Pro won't run Mountain Lion. I find out today that there WILL be a refresh! OMG. I went from very sad, to very happy. nice :)

Are you selling your old one? It looks like I need an upgrade... my iMac's video card is almost toast.

mrxak
Jun 5, 2012, 05:45 PM
So, everyone remember. If we don't get a Mac Pro announcement next week, we go over to 9to5Mac, and we BURN THEM TO THE GROUND.

Exciting stuff, though, if this is true. Here's hoping the high end is absolutely crazy over-the-top to show that the Mac Pro is still a beast to be reckoned with.

jontech
Jun 5, 2012, 05:46 PM
1.21 Gigawatts???

How could we have been so foolish!!!!

I hope this sucker has quad flux capacitors in it.

Then Windows users would be jealous and say its a proprietary format pushed by Apple that no one can afford

Until ASUS includes it on their motherboards then they jump for joy....

R2D2 xx
I hope they allow a configuration of the latest and greatest, in the last refresh, they only offered xeon's at 2.93 ghz when 3.33 was available.

G51989
Despite my dislike of Apple these days ( I do own a G3, G4, G5 But no Mac Pro. Got a brand new iMac ). Despite my 15K workstation I use at work, and my 6500 dollar gaming PC. You would think I would have no use for a Mac Pro.

I don't....However.

GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE. First proper computer Apple has released in two years! I can't wait. I'll prob blow 5K on one, COME TAKE MY MONEY. NOW.

:):):):):):):):):):):)

Please, BE A TOWER BE A TOWER BE A TOWER! I WILL BUY YOU

iDemiurge
Jun 5, 2012, 05:47 PM
Great news. I thought myself that the mac pro was dead. Quite happy to be proved wrong!

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 05:47 PM
That is a great point. Apple is trying to drive sales of thunderbolt devices and only pros would bother to pay the premium for thunderbolt devices at the moment...especially with the release of USB 3.

I don't like USB 3.0. Thunderbolt and Firewire do it right. Video editing is done using Firewire. USB just has technical problems that make it inferior by design, even if it's supposedly super-fast.

Peace
Jun 5, 2012, 05:48 PM
Not that it means anything but I heard there was a redesign to the Mac Pro.

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 05:49 PM
Despite my dislike of Apple these days ( I do own a G3, G4, G5 But no Mac Pro. Got a brand new iMac ). Despite my 15K workstation I use at work, and my 6500 dollar gaming PC. You would think I would have no use for a Mac Pro.

I don't....However.

GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE. First proper computer Apple has released in two years! I can't wait. I'll prob blow 5K on one, COME TAKE MY MONEY. NOW.

:):):):):):):):):):):)

Too bad I need my $5000 to get a car...
But this will make the USED Mac Pros cheaper. I'm buying a used one for sure in a couple of weeks.

pgiguere1
I know it's kinda soon but I couldn't resist:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5157/exaggerated.jpg

Renzatic
...and my 6500 dollar gaming PC...:):):):):):):):):):):)

Holy crap! What'd you do? Get three Falcons and duct tape them together? :eek:

...I'll take one if you don't want it.

Nostromo
Jun 5, 2012, 05:50 PM
Great!

I suppose there's going to be a lot of weight gain around here: people who said the Mac Pro is dead will be eating a lot of high calorie words.

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 05:50 PM
Not that it means anything but I heard there was a redesign to the Mac Pro.

The Mac Pro's design is pretty much what Apple copied on everything else. In 2006, all of Apple's stuff was white plastic except for the metal Mac Pro.

Hastings101
Jun 5, 2012, 05:51 PM

Image (http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5157/exaggerated.jpg)

Hahaha, it's never too soon if an awesome picture is involved.

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 05:51 PM

Guys, we should have a MacRumors supercomputer day. Everyone meet in one spot, and bring all the Macs that you have. Then we use Xsan and... IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!

slackpacker
Jun 5, 2012, 05:55 PM
Also hope they support some modern graphics cards.

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 05:56 PM
My friend got a PowerMac dual-G5 (basically a Mac Pro with Motorola processors instead of Intel) when his dad upgraded to a Mac Pro. I've been jealous of him... Finally, I can get my 2008 8-core Mac Pro. Those things are cheaper than new Macs but are way faster because all of the pros use them but upgrade quickly. They're hard to sell, so the price goes down.

A 2008 8-core Mac Pro just sold on eBay today for $850 plus $100 shipping to the US. Now if I can wait until the price drops even further from this update, I'll get a really OP computer for cheap.

xgman
Jun 5, 2012, 05:57 PM
Thank god if this is true!

Litany
Jun 5, 2012, 05:58 PM
My friend got a PowerMac dual-G5 (basically a Mac Pro with Motorola processors instead of Intel)
No, they are nowhere near that.

Michael Scrip
Jun 5, 2012, 06:00 PM
I don't like USB 3.0. Thunderbolt and Firewire do it right. Video editing is done using Firewire. USB just has technical problems that make it inferior by design, even if it's supposedly super-fast.

What do you mean by "Video editing is done using Firewire" ?

I think we've moved past capturing tapes over Firewire. :D

You're right about Thunderbolt, though... there are quite a few tapeless capture and editing solutions based on Thunderbolt now.

But don't disregard USB 3.0 just yet. Cheap fast storage is always welcome. And USB 3.0 card readers are nice too.

Colpeas
Jun 5, 2012, 06:02 PM
Who cares about the look... I know, the look have undergone only slight changes since the G5 days (2003 - onwards), but it still looks amazing IMHO. Nothing compares to it design-wise.

I love the G5/Pro design, it's amazing how even after almost ten years it shows no signs of getting old and still remains on the top of my 'most beautiful Apple product ever' list (followed by the PowerBook G4/pre-unibody MacBook Pro) Jony Ive did a great job designing this.

G51989
Jun 5, 2012, 06:04 PM

http://www.gamepc.com/shop/systemfamily.asp?family=ds3

Middle model with more ram, got it about a month and a half ago. it replaced my very nice but badly aging Core 2 rig that I built myself. I put in a ton of over time for about 11 months straight working 6-7 days a week on a HUGE project. So I guess its a gift to myself for busting ass. I got mine RIGHT when the new 7000 series came out, so it has two 7970s that I upgraded to instead of the Nividias, its safe to say it rapes everything.

Currently my iMac sits next to it, I'm selling that on ebay. My new Mac Pro that I will be buying, will sit right next to it, hooked up to a nice NEC Monitor. Lets hope Apple supports some badass GPUs with this thing so it'll rape programs as hard as my GAMEPC does.

RalfTheDog
Jun 5, 2012, 06:06 PM
I hope they trim off a bit of mas on the new Pro. I love the computer, however, I hate calling a transport company with a flatbed to take it to the Apple Store. I think my current one is starting to do foundation damage.

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 06:09 PM
What do you mean by "Video editing is done using Firewire" ?

I think we've moved past capturing tapes over Firewire. :D

You're right about Thunderbolt, though... there are quite a few tapeless capture and editing solutions based on Thunderbolt now.

But don't disregard USB 3.0 just yet. Cheap fast storage is always welcome. And USB 3.0 card readers are nice too.

Are consumer memory cards even fast enough to keep up with USB 3.0?

Also, you'd be surprised how many people use HDV tapes. I've been seeing people everywhere using the Canon HV30, which I also have. I always see pros using Firewire external drives as opposed to USB.

----------

Who cares about the look... I know, the look have undergone only slight changes since the G5 days (2003 - onwards), but it still looks amazing IMHO. Nothing compares to it design-wise.

I love the G5/Pro design, it's amazing how even after almost ten years it shows no signs of getting old and still remains on the top of my 'most beautiful Apple product ever' list (followed by the PowerBook G4/pre-unibody MacBook Pro) Jony Ive did a great job designing this.

My favorite design is the Ruby iMac G3 :D
And I agree. The PowerMac G5 and PowerBook G4 look great.

The new iMac looks more pro than the iMac G5 (which looks cool but more artistic), but the iMac G5 did have the great perk of everything being accessible by removing 2 screws from the bottom.

hallam
Jun 5, 2012, 06:10 PM
The Mac Pro has always been a very attractive alternative to the gamer PCs. Putting together a top of the line gamer PC will set you back about $3K these days and you have to worry about it overheating. My Voodoo cost $7K and they don't make them any more, I don't know what happened to Alienware either.

Get one of these, drop out the stock video for something chunkier and you have an instant, no fuss gamer PC.

OK so maybe not what folk here think about, but gaming is a big market and a mac mini or a laptop is never going to cut it as it is a simple question of heat.

slackpacker
Jun 5, 2012, 06:11 PM

Also, you'd be surprised how many people use HDV tapes. I've been seeing people everywhere using the Canon HV30, which I also have. I always see pros using Firewire external drives as opposed to USB.

I'm sure the new solution for firewire support will be to use a Dock via a Thunderbolt port. While USB 3.0 is great for storage its been less than successful for capture cards or docks. Mind you I get this info from Windows based capture products.

HurtinMinorKey
Jun 5, 2012, 06:11 PM

The margins are much higher on the pro gear. This is true in almost every market. Higher margin, lower volume. Current Mac Pro clone's can be had for 1/3-1/2 the price.

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 06:13 PM
No, they are nowhere near that.

Yes they are? Oh, of course it also has older parts inside, but it's the same idea.

----------

Is USB 3.0 inherently cheaper, or is it just cheaper because it's supported by Microsoft and friends?

----------

I'm sure the new solution for firewire support will be to use a Dock via a Thunderbolt port. While USB 3.0 is great for storage its been less than successful for capture cards or docks. Mind you I get this info from Windows based capture products.

That makes sense. Thunderbolt looks like a great multi-use cable, and pros could just use that with a dock for everything they need. Now what if they had a TB cable that could also carry enough current to power a Mac Pro?

G51989
Jun 5, 2012, 06:15 PM
Yes they are? Oh, of course it also has older parts inside, but it's the same idea.

----------

Is USB 3.0 inherently cheaper, or is it just cheaper because it's supported by Microsoft and friends?

----------

That makes sense. Thunderbolt looks like a great multi-use cable, and pros could just use that with a dock for everything they need. Now what if they had a TB cable that could also carry enough current to power a Mac Pro?

1: The early Mac Pro, and late High end G5s were ABOUT the same in performance, but The G5s used PowerPC Processors, and are not compatible with anything Intel Mac, and Vice Versa. Very different animals.

USB 3.0 is cheaper, because it just is.

Apple...
Jun 5, 2012, 06:17 PM

Are you high?

Billy Boo Bob
Jun 5, 2012, 06:23 PM

Abandoning the Pro could have a negative halo effect, however... Pushing pros to PCs could also move them toward Android instead of iOS, (pick your) cheap PCs instead of iMacs for the family, etc...

that1guyy
Wow this is pretty much 100% then! Great news! Almost makes up for those terrible MPB rumors earlier today.

Mr-Stabby
I use Apple products in my job, my entire life revolves around Apple really as i'm a Final Cut video editor as a second job and a Mac server admin as my main job. The lack of a decent Mac Pro update, the dropping of the XServe, a dumbed down Lion Server and Final Cut Pro X, plus some real problems managing some Mac Servers i currently run at work has really put me off Apple of late. Plus the company i work for are pushing iPads out, and it's a classic case of 'ooh lets buy a load of these gadgets, THEN work out what to do with them'

I really need Apple to come out with a Mac Pro update that screams 'we care about the Pro market', because i need something to make me excited about owning a new Apple product again.

Here's hoping :D

Blue Sun
So, how sure are we that these "leaked" model numbers aren't model numbers for new Mac Minis? Anyone remember the disappointment when that happened last year?

Navdakilla
Apple needs a big wwdc. Continue the rumors!!!

Michael Scrip
Jun 5, 2012, 06:26 PM

What's a consumer memory card? I've got SD cards rated at 45MB/s and 60MB/s. Sadly I don't have a USB 3.0 card reader to test them.

But I have seen tests where USB 3.0 transfers are a lot faster than USB 2.0. Faster transfers are never a bad thing.

As for tapes... yes... tapes are still being used.

But don't forget cameras like Sony's EX1 and EX3 which use SxS cards... or Panasonic's P2 cards... or even JVC's pro camcorders that use SD cards (like the GY-HM150... which I own) :)

Tape is still around... but tapeless is the future (and a bit of the present too)

Billy Boo Bob
Jun 5, 2012, 06:26 PM
So, how sure are we that these "leaked" model numbers aren't model numbers for new Mac Minis? Anyone remember the disappointment when that happened last year?

Ouch. Hope it ain't so.

mozumder
Jun 5, 2012, 06:29 PM
Hope it's rack-mountable and REALLY REALLY FAST, with tons of GPU compute power as well as CPU.

Michael Scrip
Jun 5, 2012, 06:30 PM

I don't know why it's cheaper... all I know is that I see USB 3.0 hard drives in the Best Buy ad every week.

They're fairly common nowadays.

lostngone
Jun 5, 2012, 06:30 PM
Apple needs a big wwdc. Continue the rumors!!!

Sir, YES SIR!

Check the Elevators!
Check the Bar!

Bring all sources to bear!

Rumor mill to full power!

q64ceo
Jun 5, 2012, 06:31 PM

Image (http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Technology/Apple/G4Cube_2.jpg)

Ok, I admit it, I laughed.

You sir have won one free internet

MovieCutter
Jun 5, 2012, 06:31 PM
Looks like my AMEX is getting a workout next week...:cool:

ixodes
Jun 5, 2012, 06:32 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.

I wonder if they'll have them ready to ship, or if this is a tease :)

lostngone
Jun 5, 2012, 06:33 PM
If all these rumors are true this is going to be one looonnngggg Keynote.

Stridder44
Jun 5, 2012, 06:34 PM

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg193/scaled.php?server=193&filename=macproi.png&res=landing

Seems legit.

But really though, this is awesome news. I know many of us would be really heartbroken if they pulled the plug on the Mac Pros.

Blue Sun
And I've gotta say, it is a little odd that Apple actually removed the Mac Pros from retail stores. Either this is going to be a massive update/redesign/replacement, or the Mac Pro will be discontinued. The model numbers that were leaked could be for something else.

Just saying...

mfethers
Apple also needs to just let go and let companies virtualize OS X Server on VMWare vSphere and Citrix XenServer. Not everyone needs dedicated machines for servers anymore, especially for the tasks that run on OS X Server.

This. Or, create an independent company (similar to what Filemaker is) that focuses only on the pro market, creating specific, high-end hardware, and software with Apple's blessing. Take away the expectation of revenue that has to compete with the consumer market, and create a healthy, viable entity with ... us ... in mind. Servers, virtualization, workstations for the video and scientific market. Swift upgrades with a multi-year roadmap, dropping the super-secrecy that Apple is known for. A sea-change.

But an upgraded Pro is a step in the right direction.

Wild-Bill
Jun 5, 2012, 06:36 PM
I sure hope it's true. It's about friggin' time.

The very first thing I shall do after blowing lots of cash on a new Mac Pro will be to figure out how to get Snow Leopard running on it. :D

*** And.... to ALL the naysayers who liked to visit the Mac Pro forums and pepper in their negative comments, a big middle finger to all of you. ***
:)

MartiNZ
Jun 5, 2012, 06:37 PM

For another year or so :D....

Cool news, even though I'm not in that market, it is good to know Apple is not totally abandoning the people that got it where it is today. At least not with the hardware.

lostngone
Jun 5, 2012, 06:37 PM
I already made sexy time with my credit card for vacation, so no new toys for me until that is paid off. :(

zyr123
Jun 5, 2012, 06:40 PM
praise the lord.

i was waiting for this forever.

macuser453787
Jun 5, 2012, 06:41 PM
Gimme an "A"! Gimme a "P"! Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "L"! Gimme an "E"!

What's that spell?!?!?!

"FINALLY--AND--AT--LONG--LAST--A--NEW--MAC--PRO--SO--WE--CAN--ALL--STOP--GUESSING--ABOUT--IT--AND--UPGRADE--AND--DO--ALL--OUR--STUFF--FASTER--ON--A--COOL--NEW--MAC--PRO--BECAUSE--WE--LIKE--THEM--A--WHOLE--LOT--BECAUSE--THEY'RE--MAC--PROS--AND--WE--LIKE--THEM!!!!"

YAAAAYYYYYY!!!!! :D

rei101
Jun 5, 2012, 06:44 PM
3D render will be slow still. :rolleyes:

But good, I hope the fill it with good stuff.

Rocketman
Jun 5, 2012, 06:47 PM
MD770LL/A – K5BPLUS,BETTER, BTR-USA
MD771LL/A – K5BPLUS,BEST,BTR-USA
MD772LL/A – K5BPLUS,ULTIMATE,BTR-USA

Better, Best, Ultimate, not Good, Better, Best, like the "normal" Mac line. If it's "Pro" it HAS to be "ultimate". :(

Perception trumps reality.

Just Rocketman

2x Mini >= Pro

Wayyyy too late feature request. SSD optional boot disc (near certainty), 2x GPU cards with software to support it as auxiliary CPU. Obvious but less likely.

MacPro LTE. Nearly impossible to expect and nearly mandatory to have.

Pro? 2 SETS of TB I/O.

Makman8
Jun 5, 2012, 06:49 PM

The computer is a data powerhouse, hardly a children's toy.:p aka massive of amounts of data processing. ex Pro Res 422

and Steve has always been one for creativity, which the Mac Pro is well used in the movie editing industry ;)

But yes I do see your point, and were almost there! :eek:

GLS
Jun 5, 2012, 06:51 PM
Our long national nightmare is, apparently, over......

tido2012
Jun 5, 2012, 06:52 PM
This guy is joking right? I have an iPad 3 and love it but there is no way in hell people that use their computers for work could do without a Pro machine. I'm in the medical field and can't even use the majority of the electronic medical records software with my iPad because they're not Mac compatible.

G51989
Jun 5, 2012, 07:01 PM
And I just wanna say, this BETTER be a New Mac Pro.

Im to excited it for to be another fail Mini.

If it is, I swear I'll buy one of those new minis, video tape myself chucking it into my wood chipper and put it on youtube.

PLEASE APPLE, GIVE ME A REAL COMPUTER.

yeah
Jun 5, 2012, 07:03 PM
I just had a progasm!
The liquid flowed through my bank account and guess what: Here comes the Mac Pro!

quickmac
Jun 5, 2012, 07:04 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/264/241/9e9.gif

zephonic
Jun 5, 2012, 07:07 PM
Anybody wanna buy my '09 quad?

Wild-Bill
Jun 5, 2012, 07:11 PM

:rolleyes:
-42 on your little posting there and falling.

Either you are on something, or flaming.

Kar98
Jun 5, 2012, 07:11 PM

Because it's out of date?

needfx
Jun 5, 2012, 07:12 PM
Not necessarily. As technology progresses, so does the demand for higher end work in post. There is no such thing as too much power in the tv/film industry. Instead of working at just 2K on the high-end 6 years ago, we now process images over 6K in Stereo for some shows. And look at visual effects, render times for a film like transformers DOTM took up to 280 hours per frame. Those times will continue to be pushed so long as expectations continue to grow

or 1 hour on a 280 machine render farm?

At last! Set your credit cards to "Stun"!

Best thread comment!

weaponEX
Jun 5, 2012, 07:12 PM
Physically smaller would be nice

needfx
Jun 5, 2012, 07:13 PM

Troll of the Month Award!!

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2012, 07:13 PM
If all these rumors are true this is going to be one looonnngggg Keynote.

They have had epic keynotes in the past. In 2000 they refreshed almost everything--KB + Mouse, iMacs, PowerMacs, the Cube, and new displays. Of course, they only had one OS to talk about then.

hirshnoc
Jun 5, 2012, 07:15 PM
Yyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!

G51989
Jun 5, 2012, 07:21 PM

Uhhhh. No.

I like having tons of open slots, and tons of room for extra hard drives and more memory. My iMac has been a total joke, even tho its only a couple months old. Its going on ebay/craigslist. Or I might just donate it to my GF's 18 year old sister for college.

The only reason I bought it was because I thought the Pro was a ripoff. When I thought about buying one.

iMac is good for some people. But gimmie some expansion :D

KnightWRX
Jun 5, 2012, 07:21 PM
They have had epic keynotes in the past. In 2000 they refreshed almost everything--KB + Mouse, iMacs, PowerMacs, the Cube, and new displays. Of course, they only had one OS to talk about then.

The keynote is 1 hour 30 minutes long :

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/05/wwdc_2012_app.jpg

I'm thinking Macs are getting a silent update on Tuesday morning. The 1 hour and 30 minutes of the keynote will be all software, ML and iOS, with maybe 1 Mac line-up seeing a keynote update. No way are they updating 5 lines of Mac models and previewing both iOS and ML in an hour and 30 minutes, that would just be rushed.

Digital Skunk
Jun 5, 2012, 07:27 PM
The computer is a data powerhouse, hardly a children's toy.:p aka massive of amounts of data processing. ex Pro Res 422

HAHAHAHA! I understand, but ProRes 422 is a codec used for editing that prevents you from having to do massive amounts of data processing. You must mean 10 bit Uncompressed HD or REDCODE RAW 4k or something.

Just being a dork, sorry.

Great rumor and it's about time. Let's see how Apple implements TBolt into this rig. That's been my question since TBolt was introduced.

aliensporebomb
Jun 5, 2012, 07:33 PM
Voice from offstage, sounds suspiciously like a pre-recorded announcement from Jobs himself: And now to introduce the new Mac Pro we have Jony Ive himself who designed its utterly beautiful all new GOD CABINET.

Jony: Hello all. Well, here's the old cabinet and we're gonna take care of that right now (shoots the cabinet with an assault rifle causing massive damage and people ducking for cover).

Now. The new cabinet.

(lifts veil on a small table, reveals "The New IPad")

Jony: Just kidding. You guys should have expected that.

Neodym
Jun 5, 2012, 07:36 PM
No way are they updating 5 lines of Mac models and previewing both iOS and ML in an hour and 30 minutes, that would just be rushed.
In my opinion, if they stay concise and refrain from having half a dozen guys presenting some 3rd party software on stage and shorten the self-adulation, they could easily be doing this!

To me roughly half the time of the keynotes in recent years consisted of fillers of this kind...

kalsta
Jun 5, 2012, 07:40 PM

I'm expecting the whining to be of a different sort… 'WHAT, THEY REMOVED ONE OF THE [insert whatever it is they removed one of here]?!!!!' Expect a new design but expect it to be somewhat smaller than the behemoth that was the previous Mac Pro.

Oh, NO!

This is TERRIBLE news for tablet-totint-tweens who insist all computers should be able to fit in their lunchbox and have "apps" and be used for just dicking around instead of actual work! *sarcasm*

I say, let them get bigger lunch boxes.

Agreed! The cube was the supermodel of personal computers—way overpriced and too-high maintenance for most of us, but very sexy.

In a way, a cube enclosure for the new Mac Pro would be a fitting tribute to Steve Jobs who was always dabbling with cubes but never quite got it right. Maybe, who knows?!

ezekielrage_99
Jun 5, 2012, 07:41 PM

Me either, birthday + new Mac Pro... So excited I could explode :D :eek:

Jst0rm
Jun 5, 2012, 07:43 PM
I'm so ready for this.

neverni
Jun 5, 2012, 07:44 PM
Best Apple news I have seen all year. Apple should not abandoned professionals, we came to you for your workhorse (my first was the 333Ghz), we are still with you because the Mac Pro helps us make our living. Make it happen!

FrankHahn
Jun 5, 2012, 07:47 PM
Great! Let us see what will be included in this upgrade. Thunderbolt, USB3.0, SSD, Nvidia, ... ?

Mr_Ed
Jun 5, 2012, 07:48 PM
Also hope they support some modern graphics cards.

^This.

My MP is running the 5870 and it does well with the games I am playing, but it sucks that my system's longevity may be limited by the GPU due to the lack of a reasonable upgrade path. For a system like the MP, that should have never been the case.

Neodym
Jun 5, 2012, 07:48 PM
And I just wanna say, this BETTER be a New Mac Pro.

Im to excited it for to be another fail Mini.

The report on 9to5Mac says that their source stated that the pricing associated with those inventory numbers is roughly similar to current MacPro prices. So if those would be Mac mini part numbers, Apple would have to make them of pure Gold or something.... :p :D

KnightWRX
Jun 5, 2012, 07:50 PM
In my opinion, if they stay concise and refrain from having half a dozen guys presenting some 3rd party software on stage and shorten the self-adulation, they could easily be doing this!

To me roughly half the time of the keynotes in recent years consisted of fillers of this kind...

But this is a developer event. Developers showing off what they did with Apple's APIs is not filler, it's the very topic of the whole week ;)

NAG
Jun 5, 2012, 07:53 PM

Apple wants those demos though. It isn't just to show every day app store shoppers nifty apps that they should buy. It is to show developers nifty apps that Apple thinks are really cool and use the new features in a great way and hint hint maybe you should emulate them. Just look at the banner:

"WWDC2012: Where great ideas go on to do great things."

They're not talking about Apple's great ideas. They're basically saying, "We have a platform to make you loads of money."

SeaFox
Jun 5, 2012, 07:54 PM
Apple would never forget the Mac Pro. It's just taken a while to make it right.

A computer company wouldn't let a product languish for two years if they hadn't forgotten it.

Apple forgot it. Or you might suggest that the lack of competition from another maker for a "workstation-oriented tower machine" allowed them to forget it. It's the complaints from the market in the last six months that has woken Apple up to their pro machine.

Beliblis
Jun 5, 2012, 07:56 PM

To me, the G5/Mac Pro was always "the end of design". I mean: what better can you make? (Apart from smaller, of course!) :):):):)

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2012, 07:58 PM
But this is a developer event. Developers showing off what they did with Apple's APIs is not filler, it's the very topic of the whole week ;)

They didn't have any developers last year.

badNameErr
Jun 5, 2012, 08:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M&t=0m33s

Bill.the.Cat
... the lack of competition from another maker for a "workstation-oriented tower machine" allowed them to forget it. It's the complaints from the market in the last six months that has woken Apple up to their pro machine.

Not at all. It was the lack of new workstation-class processors from Intel. Up until about a month ago, Dell and HP were selling machines with pretty much the same specs as the current Mac Pro, not because they didn't want to compete but because Intel hadn't given them anything to work with. In fact, they're still shipping now-previous-gen Xeons (like the Mac Pro's) because the Sandy Bridge-E Xeon based machines from Dell and HP (*New* Precision Workstation and Z Series) have estimated ship dates near the end of July...

G51989
I don't know about you guys, but when I get that box home. It won't last 3 seconds. To hell with saving that, I'll already have the iMac gone and donated to the GF's little sister for college.

I'll have a nice RAINPC Keyboard, Logitech Mouse, and I'll prob go buy some nice sexy display for it all ready to go, cables laying out and all that.

I suspect no more than 5 minutes before that box walks into my living room, and its shredded into a million peices. And it's booting up on my desk.

As long as its a nice sexy tower :D

Rocketman
Jun 5, 2012, 08:03 PM
Will Apple do something in how it is formatted or presented to encourage "power users" to buy 2-4 units not ONE?

Holding my balls.

Rocketman

coldmack
Jun 5, 2012, 08:05 PM

I want to agree with you since the iPad is using a more advanced architecture, but a few points. One the 10in screen of the iPad is a bit small and inconvenient for some(11in is my min for office docs). Two, the iPad lacks an optical drive for those of who still go in store to buy a physical copy of a CD, DVD/blu-ray. Three, the iPad is limited on space, while with a device like the Mac Pro I can get over 1tb internal. You do know that some people have 100+gb of music, pictures, and videos, which the iPad can't hold(and in the case of some HD files isn't able to play). Lastly, when was the last fickey time you saw a proper movie, or tv show edited on the iPad? Or what about those magazines that you read either in analog form, or on the iPad. Those pictures are more than likely edited and fixed up. While the iPad and other tablets are okay in a pinch, specially for the general consumer, they lack the features, or precision of dedicated software like Photoshop or Aperture, which professionals still prefer. Lets not many pros prefer to use RAW formats for their pictures, and/or video, which the iPad lacks.

My point is Apple is giving their long time pro fan their take on a x8sucks machine. You know there is a group of people who can't hold out, for various reasons, until Apple brings out another non-x8sucks device, like a quad-core next gen A5 in an Air, or desktop.

----------

Thank God. I thought I was gonna have to buy a PC next. :eek:
But you are buying a PC next ;)

cosmicjoke
Jun 5, 2012, 08:05 PM
Could certainly be the answer to my prayers, atm am sporting dual thunderbolt displays and a late '11 15" mbp, but lately have been craving a heavy duty graphics card to use w/ them... hopefully will be adding a mac pro w/ a beefy graphics card and TB port to the arsenal... otherwise an imac w/ mobility graphics and a totally unnecessary third display.. either way, just ready for some answers soon.

puckhead193
Jun 5, 2012, 08:09 PM
awesomeness!!!!! i finally get my birthday present after almost a whole year. (11 months) :D

can't wait to start cleaning off my desk for a new shiny mac-pro and thunderbolt display!

NMF
Jun 5, 2012, 08:11 PM
Mac Pro to Finally See Updates Next Week

http://i.imgur.com/VJoDf.gif

100Teraflops
Jun 5, 2012, 08:12 PM
Long Live the Mac pro! :D I'm excited to hear such news. I will be on the market for a work station soon!

G51989
Jun 5, 2012, 08:13 PM
iPad is using a more advanced architecture,

Huh?

Three, the iPad is limited on space, while with a device like the Mac Pro I can get over 1tb internal.

WAY over 1TB internal.

ou do know that some people have 100+gb of music, pictures, and videos, which the iPad can't hold

Lets see, 100gb? My home network has about 18TB of space....and well I'm at work right now. My Windows workstation currently has a total capacity of 12TBs, and right now its almost full at 9TBs. So yeah, ipad is a no no.

quad-core next gen A5 in an Air, or desktop.

Why the hell would you want an A5 in a Air or a desktop?

kxbcvoi
Jun 5, 2012, 08:14 PM

You want to break the world record of how many minus ones can get from posting comment.

lordonuthin
Jun 5, 2012, 08:15 PM

The Mac Pro/G5 should get an award for most prescient design.

ohbrilliance
Jun 5, 2012, 08:16 PM
Less whining until it's announced :)

G51989
Jun 5, 2012, 08:18 PM
The Mac Pro/G5 should get an award for most prescient design.

Yes it should, I own 3 G5 towers. I love looking at them.

Though I have to admit, the G5s look WAY cooler inside.

coldmack
Jun 5, 2012, 08:19 PM
Why the hell would you want an A5 in a Air or a desktop?
Well my needs aren't that extensive, and a next gen quad core A5 could give me a nice 11.6in Air that is pretty much fanless, quiet, and a low power sipper. Not to mention you give me OSX on it with a few standard software, like iPhoto, iWork, and iMovie HD and I am sold. Again my needs aren't that much, but I prefer keyboard and trackpad to the touch screen on the iPad; not to mention I am a fan of the old PPC architecture, and would never go PC buying getting an x86 Mac.

G51989
Jun 5, 2012, 08:23 PM
Well my needs aren't that extensive, and a next gen quad core A5 could give me a nice 11.6in Air that is pretty much fanless, quiet, and a low power sipper. Not to mention you give me OSX on it with a few standard software, like iPhoto, iWork, and iMovie HD and I am sold. Again my needs aren't that much, but I prefer keyboard and trackpad to the touch screen on the iPad; not to mention I am a fan of the old PPC architecture, and would never go PC buying getting an x86 Mac.

The A5 is good, but its nothing what like Intel Can offer.

Yes, I have power PC macs myself. But PowerPC is dead. And I don't see Apple giving up tons of compatibility and power by going to ARM.

throAU
Jun 5, 2012, 08:29 PM

Check the spec of a Sandy Bridge Xeon workstation from HP or Dell, add thunderbolt and you'll be approximately correct.

KnightWRX
Jun 5, 2012, 08:32 PM
Check the spec of a Sandy Bridge Xeon workstation from HP or Dell, add thunderbolt and you'll be approximately correct.

I really wonder how they'll put TB in the Mac Pros. Pairing it with mDP on the graphics card seems like a non-starter as Mac Pros use AMD or nVidia GPUs, both of which are not in good terms with Intel.

Would the Mac Pro forgoe a dedicated GPU to use Intel integrated graphics ? Would TB on the Mac Pro not be able to power any monitors ? Both options seem highly unlikely.

G51989
Jun 5, 2012, 08:35 PM
I really wonder how they'll put TB in the Mac Pros. Pairing it with mDP on the graphics card seems like a non-starter as Mac Pros use AMD or nVidia GPUs, both of which are not in good terms with Intel.

Would the Mac Pro forgoe a dedicated GPU to use Intel integrated graphics ? Would TB on the Mac Pro not be able to power any monitors ? Both options seem highly unlikely.

I think we do know one thing for sure. It will not have a dedicated GPU. Because then I can't think of anyone who's been gearing to buy one actually buying a Mac Pro with an intergrated GPU

Dr. Stealth
Jun 5, 2012, 08:36 PM

Physically larger would be nicer.... :D

G51989
Jun 5, 2012, 08:37 PM
Physically larger would be nicer.... :D

Bring on expandability :D

KnightWRX
Jun 5, 2012, 08:37 PM
I think we do know one thing for sure. It will not have a dedicated GPU. Because then I can't think of anyone who's been gearing to buy one actually buying a Mac Pro with an intergrated GPU

It could have both. The TB monitors using the integrated GPU, and a dedicated GPU with mDP. Though that would just be daft.

Maybe it won't have TB at all ?

Seems contrary to Apple to put in TB and then when you hook up a TB monitor to it, there's no signal.

throAU
Jun 5, 2012, 08:42 PM

Thunderbolt card that doesn't do video (the all in one cable thing isn't a real Mac Pro issue - but having thunderbolt peripherals such as external storage would be nice). Output from the VGA card piped into a thunderbolt card via a small (internal) cable? New custom Nvidia card with an intel thunderbolt chip integrated into it?

Plenty of options...

I'm pretty sure it will have at least one and possibly more thunderbolt ports. it would be a massive fail on apple's part to try and push thunderbolt as the top of the line external interface and not include it on the pro

G51989
Jun 5, 2012, 08:42 PM
It could have both. The TB monitors using the integrated GPU, and a dedicated GPU with mDP. Though that would just be daft.

Seems contrary to Apple to put in TB and then when you hook up a TB monitor to it, there's no signal.

For me, it doesn't matter if It has TB at all, I have zero TB devices, this is more of a " I want it for no apprarant reason/now I can get rid of this stupid iMac " device.

I think it will have TB, Apple is pushing TB very hard, I could see an integrated graphics card JUST for TB. And a real graphics card for everything else.

But, I think Apple probably won't do that. And I think it will have TB

Geekbabe
Jun 5, 2012, 08:45 PM
You want to break the world record of how many minus ones can get from posting comment.

I gave you a plus one just because your comment made me choke on my wine while I was laughing :)

notabadname
Jun 5, 2012, 08:51 PM
Yay!

Nvidia please - real and broad GPU compatibility would rock. But I am sure I am wishing for way too much.

RhymeAnimal
Jun 5, 2012, 08:52 PM
meh
I'm already over it. How long will Apple make us wait for the NEXT Mac Pro? 2014?

IS THE MAC PRO DEAD?
WHEN IS THE MAC PRO GOING TO BE UPDATED AGAIN?
IT'S BEEN SINCE JUNE 2012.

ahhh, I feel like myself again.

Justinf79
Jun 5, 2012, 09:01 PM
About damn time. Now hopefully I'll be able to upgrade my GT120 to one of the new vid cards that will be coming in the new MPs. :D

paulvee
Jun 5, 2012, 09:10 PM
if this is true, I'm placing an order the day it's announced. WOW!!!

twoodcc
Jun 5, 2012, 09:13 PM
now this is great news! too bad i'm in the market for a new mac pro though

cgk.emu
Jun 5, 2012, 09:15 PM

This is MR, I don't think so :)

Lauriestarry
Jun 5, 2012, 09:18 PM
Oh please oh please let it be true. It seems like they would have killed it already if they weren't going to update. For freelance editors and motion graphic artists like me, there is no other option really. No other Mac option. They have to do SOMETHING since Mountain Lion is the first of OS X that can't run on a Mac Pro 1.1. Now would be the time. My baby from 2006 still runs like a champ, no doubt partly because she's been SO expandable, particularly with eSata and external RAID, and uh, graphics cards that are not "Apple Supported." However, it's time for a new rig, and just because I'm switching my NLE doesn't mean I want to switch back to Windows. I really don't. Whatever the new form factor of the new Mac Pro may be, the guts need to be an updated continuation of what it's BEEN: server grade memory, server grade processors, multiple options for expandability etc. state of the art, so to speak. And I might point out that the change I dropped on this baby six years ago is not a small amount even today, nor did it stop there, I've been a continuous customer of Apple's ever since, and I also became one of the "consumers of those gadgets" as well. It was all pretty blissful until about a year ago. :-)

chrono1081
Jun 5, 2012, 09:18 PM

I assume you are being sarcastic...but if not...

Go try and run Houdini on an iPad, or Maya, or ZBrush, or Renderman Studio, and then get back to me ;)

mattnotis
Jun 5, 2012, 09:28 PM
The Mac Pro is the Jason Voorhees of Apple. BRING IT!:D

kitsunestudios
Jun 5, 2012, 09:36 PM
TB shouldn't be a problem. New PC boards with Thunderbolt simply pipe the data from the dedicated GPU frame buffers through the integrated Intel GPU to output to TB. It's probably not that big of a deal to route that directly to the TB controller though the PCI bus.

handygeek
Jun 5, 2012, 09:36 PM
I do hope they will have more than one x16 pcie slot.

scottwaugh
Jun 5, 2012, 09:40 PM

I love the fact that they are updating this machine (wouldn't want to bet it'll see another update) and will get one when its out.

That said, as far as Apple and its commitment to the high end Pro users you can take a look at their Pro web page to see what Apple thinks:

http://www.apple.com/pro/

At this point, we're lucky the Pro got updated, IMHO, but I'll gladly take it.

strausd
Jun 5, 2012, 09:43 PM
I assume you are being sarcastic...but if not...

Go try and run Houdini on an iPad, or Maya, or ZBrush, or Renderman Studio, and then get back to me ;)

I wish I could +1 this post millions of times.

That said, as far as Apple and its commitment to the high end Pro users you can take a look at their Pro web page to see what Apple thinks:

Haha! It says "The new Mac Pro" at the bottom!

NY Guitarist
Jun 5, 2012, 09:43 PM
Hope it's rack-mountable and REALLY REALLY FAST, with tons of GPU compute power as well as CPU.

A rackmount option would be just amazing! I'd be on that in an instant.

Bring on expandability :D

The present Mac Pro enclosure is an engineering marvel of sophisticated simplicity and expandability. I hope if there are any changes to the MP case it improves both of those features.

I sure hope this update actually happens. There is absolutely NO way any current iMac can replace my Mac Pro system at this time.

----------

I do hope they will have more than one x16 pcie slot.

Hell Yeah!

mdriftmeyer
Jun 5, 2012, 09:45 PM
Yay!

Nvidia please - real and broad GPU compatibility would rock. But I am sure I am wishing for way too much.

Apple is putting in real boards. The ones that are OpenCL 1.2 certified, highly optimized for such work and by the time these systems come out the AMD 8000 series will be popping on the scence and you can do your battle of frame rates for video games while Apple and the rest of the Applied Sciences will continue buying more and more AMD based GPGPUs for their superior OpenCL 1.2/2.xx performance and an actually better design architecture that OS X leverages.

This is an embarrassing test for OpenCL 1.1, never mind OpenCL 1.2 showing the sheer dominance even on Windows for AMD Radeon 7970 versus Nvidia 680.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20120427/clbenchmark-new-opencl-benchmark-for-windows-tested-hd-7970-vs-gtx-680/

Keep in mind that Apple's OpenCL 1.1/1.2 stack is superior and more finally tuned system-wide to that of AMD and together you have a system that can churn out requests to AMD's GPGPUs at will.

Mac Kiwi
Jun 5, 2012, 09:56 PM
Good news indeed!

Fingers crossed, that not to many users of multiple machines have gone to Pcs already.

Would be great if they released at the same time as an overhauled FCP - x

scottwaugh
Jun 5, 2012, 09:56 PM
God this makes me happy Apple is updating it at least one more time...

That just made this a great day.

MovieCutter
Jun 5, 2012, 09:57 PM

You need not concern yourself with things you can't possibly understand.

Guess what the designs for the iPad were rendered, constructed, modeled, and engineered on? I'll bet you the wealth of Apple Jony Ive was using Mac Pros...silly child. :rolleyes:

It takes true horsepower like that in the towers of the Mac Pro that create the real art that you enjoy so much as a consumer. Those of us who need that power to render the films, commercials, TV shows, products, art, magazines, websites, graphics, etc that you consume every day, are the ones who demand products with such power. Don't dismiss it just because you are too young or naive to understand the tools we use or what impact they have on your silly little life. Your comprehension of the subject matter at hand is too minute to truly be taken seriously.

scottwaugh
Jun 5, 2012, 10:01 PM

Yeah, funny and sad at the same time...but I'll take Mac Pro update... ;-)

deconstruct60
Jun 5, 2012, 10:05 PM

No more daft than when older Mac Pros had 2-3 GT120 cards in them.
If the embedded GPU can do OpenCL work then really doesn't matter if some users never "hook it up" to a monitor. Some workload can be shuttled to it that is of added value.

Also no more daft than a server model with a mid-range graphics card in it either. [ with embedded graphics the server model could come without a discrete GPU card opening up another slot for high speed I/O card. ]

What I think folks would get twisted about is if the embedded GPU soaks up an additional slot. For example the Mac Pro went from a 4 PCI-e slot machine to a 3 PCI-e slot machine ( 16x , 4x , 4x with one of the 4x sharing the 4x to TB ). Folks would probably moan at that move.

However, with two E5's that isn't necessary. There are 80 PCI-e lanes. More than enough to allocate 16x to an embedded card and have plenty left over for 4, quite wide , lanes. The design disconnect would only be the single CPU package models. It is more of a pain to add TB to them if it is going to effectively take up 20 PCI-e lanes out of a 40 lane budget.

That's an option too.

The gross assumption here is that TB monitors would be primariy device connected to a Mac Pro's TB socket. Especially if there is a perfectly good discrete GPU card in the the PCI-e slot.

No, that is the tail wagging the dog. Mac Pros aren't there to sell TB docking stations ... errr monitors. Perish the thought Apple could actually ship "just a monitor" product. mDP and USB connector and no power cord. And matte with a wide color gamut. That would be a more natural fit with the Mac Pro. If they could just use a different backlight and supporting electronics it could share the basic panel with the TB version. They could drop the price a bit too. $899 or $799.

The normal mode would shockingly be to hook the monitor to the discrete PCI-e GPU card just as done now in a Mac Pro.

Daft would be hooking a monitor up to the Mac Pro with a dangling magsafe power connector. It is useless.

dbit
Jun 5, 2012, 10:08 PM

I have to say that page and it's offerings are pretty sad. Apple should stick to the hardware/os game on the pro end and stop hunting pro media software like it were a trophy sport.

dawnrazor
Jun 5, 2012, 10:11 PM

How shallow and uni-dimensional your life must be, not that you'd know of course, as you are blissfully unaware, being wrapped in an aluminum cocoon of your own ignorance.... Good day to you sir, and may you never lose your iPad, otherwise by your own rational, your life will not be worth living....

pertusis1
Jun 5, 2012, 10:12 PM
My poor old 2.4 GHz Core 2 duo iMac has been limping along for over a year waiting for this update. I have over 24-hrs of 1080p home video that I'd like to edit but can't because my machine is too slow. I have been eyeballing high end PCs lately, but nothing has caught my fancy.

Just to review my prior machines for fun... in fairness, the first bunch of these were ones my parents owned when I was a kid: Apple IIc, Apple IIe (can't forget Oregon trail, snake bite, and others), Apple IIgs (probably the fastest booting machine I've ever seen), Mac IIci (AOL is incredible - you can chat with people around the world for 10cents a minute on dial-up; fond memories of mac paint, etc.), Mac classic, Powermac, (some clone, but I forget which one), Performa 6360 (with a $750 17" CRT monitor - boy that was a dandy when I bought it), (skipped the Quadra), iMac G3 (blue), Powermac G3 (beige), Powermac G4 400 (gray with blue front), Powermac dual G4 867 (mirror doors), Macbook core 2 duo (white polycarbonate), iMac core 2 duo 2.4 GHz (aluminum). Still don't have an iPad, but have gotten iPhone 3GS (still my favorite form factor), and 4S.

Somewhere in there we decided that Apples were too expensive and we got an Acer (probably about the late 90s). That lasted about 3 months.

If apple comes out with a high end machine next week, my next machine will be a mac. If not, I'm pretty sure the chain will be broken. I have to admit, I'm pretty pumped about the possibility of a new pro.

zephonic
Jun 5, 2012, 10:14 PM
My birthday is on June 12!

treehorn
Jun 5, 2012, 10:15 PM
This is good news (if true of course) and interesting timing, as I just got back from the Adobe Road Show where I had some people swear to me the Mac Pro was DOA...and where I had a serious case of hardware envy looking at some of the HP offerings (especially since Premiere totally blew my mind today...as did a lot of other elements of the Suite...so nice to see a Suite aimed at all elements of production..)

NY Guitarist
Jun 5, 2012, 10:16 PM
If this update happens it will perfectly timed for the Autodesk Smoke 2013 pre-release trial!

----------

This is good news (if true of course) and interesting timing, as I just got back from the Adobe Road Show where I had some people swear to me the Mac Pro was DOA...and where I had a serious case of hardware envy looking at some of the HP offerings (especially since Premiere totally blew my mind today...as did a lot of other elements of the Suite...so nice to see a Suite aimed at all elements of production..)

This too!

InuNacho
Jun 5, 2012, 10:23 PM
Finally a new Mac Pro, that means with any luck the 09' models will drop a bit more in price. They seem to go for $1,400 used on ebay so hopefully they'll drop to $1,000.

Finally my 2.4 Blackbook can stop screaming in pain with every port filled and the CPU reaching the 190's.

macuser453787
Jun 5, 2012, 10:24 PM
Uhhhh. No.

I like having tons of open slots, and tons of room for extra hard drives and more memory...gimmie some expansion :D

Agreed, and let's not forget that heat can start to become an issue inside small enclosures. The MP is about processing horsepower on all fronts, which generates heat. Let's keep it open and ventilated, please. :)

deconstruct60
Jun 5, 2012, 10:26 PM
Thunderbolt card that doesn't do video (the all in one cable thing isn't a real Mac Pro issue - but having thunderbolt peripherals such as external storage would be nice).

Defacto it needs to. Intel isn't going to certify a solution where there isn't a non optional display port signal to the Thundebolt card.

In newer Ivy Bridge Core i5-i7 boards there are TB cards that plug into both a x4 PCI-e slot with a nearby socket to transfer the Dispaly Port signal from the iGPU.

Output from the VGA card piped into a thunderbolt card via a small (internal) cable? New custom Nvidia card with an intel thunderbolt chip integrated into it?

It is display port output that goes into the TB controller input. The "problem" with a customer Nvidiia card is two fold. First, it is custom. One of the problems holding the Mac Pro back is the "tax" that has been applied because the cards needed to be custom. With Windows finally adapting EFI/UEFI as a standard boot mode, the Mac Pro can finally get to a context were don't need "custom" cards tagged with additional markup. To once again throw some 'hack' into the card to require customization again .... seems grossly unnecessary. Apple could take that approach. It just seems whacked. Especially, when Thunderbolt solves problems the Mac Pro doesn't have ( PCI-e expansion and multiple video outputs. ).

it would be a massive fail on apple's part to try and push thunderbolt as the top of the line external interface and not include it on the pro

It is a bigger massive fail to push a kludge solution to a problem that the box doesn't have in the first place.

TB is a solution to the problem the previously more limited Mac's had were the totally lacked significant 4x PCI-e bandwidth level extensibility and the ability to output multiple video signals.

Nostromo
Jun 5, 2012, 10:26 PM
I'm very curious about the changes (not only processors, but also other elements of the data path), and the first benchmark comparisons to the 2009 models.

Rychy
Jun 5, 2012, 10:28 PM
Yes! Super excited! Can't wait to see it. I'll hopefully be ready to upgrade later this year.

tech4all
Jun 5, 2012, 10:28 PM

http://animated-gifs.org/wp-content/themes/frugal/graphics/cat/laughing-out-loud/you-are-too-funny-ag1.gif

Odds are Steve was involved with the design. Plus other designs in the near future.

MovieCutter
Jun 5, 2012, 10:34 PM
Odds are Steve was involved with the design. Plus other designs in the near future.

We won't see something Jobs hasn't been involved in for another 18 months at LEAST. That's just a smart product pipeline.

You can bet your ass Ive, Schiller, Cook, and Co. pulled everything out of Steve when he announced his resignation, that they possibly could have if he didn't offer it up already. Jobs was a man who lived by his legacy, and he wanted to be involved in Apple as long as possible. You can bet he gave them a fine-to-rough product pipeline for everything he could think of before his passing. And they are building on those concepts.

Jst0rm
Jun 5, 2012, 10:43 PM
Image (http://i.imgur.com/VJoDf.gif)

Plus 1 Internet to you sir :D

reden
Jun 5, 2012, 10:44 PM
Oh my god. However, goodbye five grand, happily though!

ericmooreart
Jun 5, 2012, 10:52 PM
Finally some real mac news. Was getting sick of things that began with "i"

bedifferent
Jun 5, 2012, 10:54 PM

Image (http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg193/scaled.php?server=193&filename=macproi.png&res=landing)

Love this so much :D

This is great news, I was having serious doubts. It would be nice to see a redesign.

Finally some real mac news. Was getting sick of things that began with "i"

AMEN

SprodeBoy
Jun 5, 2012, 10:56 PM
well, i guess it's time to take a break from video editing, maybe not do any of it this summer WHAT?!?!?! MAC PROS?!?!?! YAAYYYYYYY!

Lestdog
Jun 5, 2012, 10:59 PM
Halle-*********-lujah!

Colpeas
Jun 5, 2012, 11:00 PM
The A5 is good, but its nothing what like Intel Can offer.

Yes, I have power PC macs myself. But PowerPC is dead. And I don't see Apple giving up tons of compatibility and power by going to ARM.

Yes, it is true, but eventually Apple will have to bite the bullet and switch to ARM, at least in the Ultrabook sector. ARM architecture has a bright future. No one is saying they will drop Intel completely, but you need to understand that for certain types of computers, ARM is more convenient solution than Intel.

Who knows, maybe Intel will start building their own ARM-based CPUs or introduce an alternative

fermat-au
Jun 5, 2012, 11:11 PM

No 3.5" floppy drive?

Luap
Jun 5, 2012, 11:11 PM
Now I wonder how many will put their money where their mouth is, and actually buy one :)

adamfilip
Jun 5, 2012, 11:21 PM
Please apple change the case...

DrNoellyG
Jun 5, 2012, 11:24 PM
The Mac Pro has always been a very attractive alternative to the gamer PCs. Putting together a top of the line gamer PC will set you back about $3K these days and you have to worry about it overheating. My Voodoo cost $7K and they don't make them any more, I don't know what happened to Alienware either.

Get one of these, drop out the stock video for something chunkier and you have an instant, no fuss gamer PC.

OK so maybe not what folk here think about, but gaming is a big market and a mac mini or a laptop is never going to cut it as it is a simple question of heat.

Absolutely. If I could I would get two, one for work and another to game. Sadly I can only justify one... (I might game on it too though)

coldmack
Jun 5, 2012, 11:31 PM
Yes, it is true, but eventually Apple will have to bite the bullet and switch to ARM, at least in the Ultrabook sector. ARM architecture has a bright future. No one is saying they will drop Intel completely, but you need to understand that for certain types of computers, ARM is more convenient solution than Intel.

Who knows, maybe Intel will start building their own ARM-based CPUs or introduce an alternative
Intel does make arm cpus, at least they did in the past. It would be great to see them make more ARM cpus, but they won't because their bread and butter. Intel really puts the screw on their users when you think about it. ARM cpus are able to do HD decently, while single core, and even certain dual core Atom computers are struggling on HD. Flash is no better on Atom as it is on ARM. If Intel really cared they would have used more Graphene techs or the like to give us dual core Atom cpus that would be almost where quad core i5 cpus are at, and quad core i5 where Intel will be in a few years.

Burger Thing
Jun 5, 2012, 11:44 PM

Image (http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5157/exaggerated.jpg)

Gosh, damn you! My baby girl is sleeping next to me and I had to shut my lips in order not to laugh out loud. I almost exploded. :p

Mobster1983
Jun 5, 2012, 11:46 PM
My heart just stopped...

TennisandMusic
Jun 5, 2012, 11:47 PM
We won't see something Jobs hasn't been involved in for another 18 months at LEAST. That's just a smart product pipeline.

You can bet your ass Ive, Schiller, Cook, and Co. pulled everything out of Steve when he announced his resignation, that they possibly could have if he didn't offer it up already. Jobs was a man who lived by his legacy, and he wanted to be involved in Apple as long as possible. You can bet he gave them a fine-to-rough product pipeline for everything he could think of before his passing. And they are building on those concepts.

Not sure how true this really is. He apparently wasn't familiar with Siri at all, and that was obviously being worked on when he was still active at the company.

mrr
Jun 5, 2012, 11:49 PM
Now I wonder how many will put their money where their mouth is, and actually buy one :)

We are actually buying 20 of these!!

scottrichardson
Jun 5, 2012, 11:50 PM
So pumped for the new models! Running a top end 2009 model, which, to be honest, has no problems at all and is perfectly fast. But I WANT a new one just because.

As for Thunderbolt on the new Pros. I assume that the discrete GPUs will only ship with MiniDP/HDMI/DVI, and then the TB ports will be up there with the other ports. The system will then pass the video buffer along the PCI system out to the thunderbolt ports on the mac. This seems like the only logical way they can do it, short of having every new GPU come with all the necessary TB silicon.

OR.... it could work the other way.. with the TB silicon being on the main MP mobo, and then passing the data THROUGH the dedicated GPU's MiniDP port.

??

Tower-Union
Jun 5, 2012, 11:54 PM

At the time of my posting this, 77 people do not understand what sarcasm is. For shame! You should all go watch more Colbert Report. ;)

fertilized-egg
Jun 5, 2012, 11:55 PM
Not sure how true this really is. He apparently wasn't familiar with Siri at all, and that was obviously being worked on when he was still active at the company.

That doesn't sound right. Jobs discussed Siri back in 2010 at the D8 conference after Apple bought the company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0ElnWta2us&t=8m5s

valleydesign
Jun 6, 2012, 12:08 AM
Get your cameras ready.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU

rokray
Jun 6, 2012, 12:38 AM
I dont get why people who have no use for the Mac Pro are always bashing it. It may not be something YOU need, but people working in the professional world do! Maybe those college kids shooting their indie films on 5D can get by with a iMac or Macbook Pro, but the grown ups here need real machines to process and not toys. Try cramming 2 nVidia cards, a Red Rocket, and a Blackmagic breakout card into several Sonnet Echos, not to mention raid cards or fiber optic ports. Each one of these cards would require a Sonnet Echo. Besides the fact that it costs $800 each time you need house an external card, god knows what performance you'll get out of that after looping it 4 or 5 times.

It would be foolish for Apple to discontinue this product. Video editors, visual effect houses, audio engineers depend on this as their main workhorse...and we dont usally buy just one, try a dozen at a time. The day I have to attach 4 Sonnet Echo expansion chassis to get all my gear running, is the day I swich over to a Windows machine. I've already made peace with that.

PassiveSmoking
Jun 6, 2012, 12:51 AM
Thank god for that. Looks like Apple isn't completely abandoning the pro market after all. After dropping XServe and the FCP debacle I did wonder.

PassiveSmoking
Jun 6, 2012, 01:07 AM

Not straight away for sure, but I'm saving so hard for Christmas... My current Mac Pro has served me well but at 4 years old it's starting to show its age.

aloshka
Jun 6, 2012, 01:07 AM

He'd 5k in the budget. Just cancelled the six core I ordered and will reorder when these are announced

yoak
Jun 6, 2012, 01:11 AM
Very exciting rumors. Really hope they come out true. I never belived they would kill it, but I was starting to get a tiny bit worried.
Sounds like it will be a new MP in 2012 for me

MacFanJeff
Jun 6, 2012, 01:26 AM
I remain cautiously optimistic about this. What I truly need is a firm commitment from Apple to make an official statement about the new Mac Pro and the future of this product line. It has been 2+ years with no real updates. While it's true that E5 Xeon chips just started hitting retail in mass, I am mainly referring to things that can get us by like better support for new and current video cards from both AMD and nVidia. If Apple would commit to making sure their Mac Pro line had fresh parts between CPU cycles, that would help a lot. But for some like myself, I simply can't go that long and must have nVidia for the "CUDA" cores that a lot of my software takes advantage of.

If they handle this in the right way, make a serious commitment and offer nVidia cards too, then I will certainly be among the first to invest a lot in their Mac Pro line.