Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTaculous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Hello,

I want to run a clean install of OSX Lion because I hate the fact that the app store installed it on top of OSX Snow Leopard. I know how to perform the clean install but I have one major concern. I have a ton of important documents and programs and such that I do not want to lose. I have a Time Machine backup but will the fresh lion recognize it? Meaning if I select my external HD for the Time machine on the freshly installed lion will it erase the HD to start a new one or will it cross over so I can use it to bring everything back? OR is there a better way to keep all my data? PLEASE HELP!

Thank you very much!

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Hello,

I want to run a clean install of OSX Lion because I hate the fact that the app store installed it on top of OSX Snow Leopard. I know how to perform the clean install but I have one major concern. I have a ton of important documents and programs and such that I do not want to lose. I have a Time Machine backup but will the fresh lion recognize it? Meaning if I select my external HD for the Time machine on the freshly installed lion will it erase the HD to start a new one or will it cross over so I can use it to bring everything back? OR is there a better way to keep all my data? PLEASE HELP!

Thank you very much!

If you install Lion on your drive from scratch, during the install it will ask if you want to move files from your TimeMachines and transfer them to the new install. Just point it to your TimeMachine drive and it will start to pull in the latest files from your last backup. It will then use that Time Machine and keep adding to it like normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.