PDA

View Full Version : WWDC 2012 Banners: "Where great ideas go on to do great things."

MacRumors
Jun 5, 2012, 06:07 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/05/wwdc-2012-banners-where-great-ideas-go-on-to-do-great-things/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/greatideas.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/photo.jpg)
Apple has already started decorating Moscone (http://www.moscone.com/site/do/index) with banners in preparation for WWDC 2012. The first banners show a collage of app icons and the wording: "WWDC2012: Where great ideas go on to do great things."

The annual developer's conference kicks off on Monday with a Keynote Address. Apple is expected to introduce a number of new products and likely preview iOS 6.

Thanks Nelson

Article Link: WWDC 2012 Banners: "Where great ideas go on to do great things." (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/05/wwdc-2012-banners-where-great-ideas-go-on-to-do-great-things/)

backinblack875
Jun 5, 2012, 06:07 PM
Macbook pro damn*t!!

bettaboy123
Jun 5, 2012, 06:08 PM
So excited to see iOS 6 and any new hardware!! :D

propynyl
Jun 5, 2012, 06:09 PM
Why am I getting the feeling this is going to be the most iterative update to iOS yet?

Apple...
Jun 5, 2012, 06:11 PM
I'm happy. Only a few more days. :)

3dflyboy1
At least if they release iOS6, I won't keep thinking iOS5 looks like iOSS. :rolleyes:

KylePowers
Whether the Macs get updated or not, or even if iOS 6 is disappointing, there's no denying Apple's banners are definitely well designed. Very visually appealing.

kiwiboi87
Jun 5, 2012, 06:12 PM
exciting!

just about there,

Mr-Stabby
Jun 5, 2012, 06:15 PM
Not really caring about iPads and iPhones, I haven't really looked forward to Apple Keynotes in recent years, but definitely looking forward to this one :) Even if the Macs don't get mentioned in the Keynote itself, looking forward to the updates :D

AppleBoyFreak
Jun 5, 2012, 06:16 PM
In previous invitations the image has given a clue to what Apple is releasing and I feel as if the bright curved squares or "app icons" give a hint to something possibly including new app icon designs and a bright ui. None the less we'll find out in 6 days.

RoelJuun
Jun 5, 2012, 06:18 PM
I always love their colorful banners.

Matthew Yohe
Jun 5, 2012, 06:19 PM
Why am I getting the feeling this is going to be the most iterative update to iOS yet?

Maybe because you don't know what you're talking about?

Keep in mind, there has not been a dot release that has contained much in the way of features. (Like say 4.2, 4.3 etc...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history

kiwiboi87
Jun 5, 2012, 06:20 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the smaller banners, like last year

WWDC is about iOS 5,

i can't remember what they were, but know they were good. gave hints to what to expect even more

esquared
Jun 5, 2012, 06:21 PM
That's a clumsy phrase for Apple in my opinion. "go on to do"? Really? Needs a great action verb there.

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2012, 06:22 PM

Keep in mind, there has not been a dot release that has contained much in the way of features. (Like say 4.2, 4.3 etc...)

Exactly, and with the WWDC app's new silver theme, I think iOS 6 is going to be pretty significant.

Jasoco
Jun 5, 2012, 06:23 PM
I'm expecting iOS6 and Mountain Lion previews and release dates. (Hopefully not the generalized "summer" they usually do.

Mac updates also seem to be confirmed at this point. How much time will be spent on them, who knows? I don't want to get into which ones will be updated and how much of an update each gets. Let's just let it happen when it happens and complain then.

I don't expect an iPhone 5 yet. I suspect the New iPhone will be released when iOS6 is out so they can put it right on the phone day 1. But would they do the same for the Mac's? Probably not. Lion is great as it is.

I assume both iOS6 and Mountain Lion will be free. Yeah, free. Sounds strange, but Apple did say they were going down a new path now. If anything ML will be $30 at most. iOS will be free no matter what. I wouldn't be surprised if ML was free though. Since OS X updates are going to be yearly now and they're integrating update into the App Store, they'll probably want to push them right to your computer as soon as they release them. And at this point there's no big reason to charge anymore. Especially since it's now download only and their money comes from hardware. OS X is just part of the hardware. Part of the whole widget.

TennisandMusic
Jun 5, 2012, 06:24 PM
I didn't realize ideas were capable of doing things.

Navdakilla
Jun 5, 2012, 06:24 PM
Exactly, and with the WWDC app's new silver theme, I think iOS 6 is going to be pretty significant.

Better be.

KnightWRX
Jun 5, 2012, 06:28 PM
Anyone else thinking WWDC will be all software again, with Mac updates happening silently on the website on the day before or after the conference ?

With ML and iOS 6, it sounds like the keynote is already packed too much for any kind of big Mac hardware refresh announcement (multiple lines, multiple models of each).

MasterHowl
Jun 5, 2012, 06:28 PM
I'd love that banner to stick on the front of my house

:D

macduke
Jun 5, 2012, 06:29 PM
With all the new products and software being unveiled, can we expect the keynote to go on for a full three hours? This is getting kind of ridiculous. So to recap:

1. iOS 6 with lots of new features on up to three distinct platforms
2. Mountain Lion with several new features
3. New iCloud stuff on the web, iOS and OS X
4. Macbook Pro redesign/retina
5. Macbook Air spec bumps/retina
6. iMac spec bump/retina
7. Mac Pro spec bump/possible redesign
8. Surprise "one more thing" new iTV?

This all seems kinda far-fetched but I'm one optimistic Apple fan! All I know for certain is my bank account will probably be hurting soon!!

ixodes
Jun 5, 2012, 06:30 PM
This thread is getting a bit sappy :rolleyes:

TennisandMusic
Jun 5, 2012, 06:31 PM
Anyone else thinking WWDC will be all software again, with Mac updates happening silently on the website on the day before or after the conference ?

With ML and iOS 6, it sounds like the keynote is already packed too much for any kind of big Mac hardware refresh announcement (multiple lines, multiple models of each).

Depends on how good the Mac updates are I think. If they are below what people are expecting, then yeah I would agree with you. If they have brand new hi-res monitors and/or new designs, then I wouldn't be surprised to see them at the show. I don't think there will be much for ML actually. The dev beta has been out for months, with several updates so...they could just do the quick overview on that.

Apple...
Jun 5, 2012, 06:31 PM

It's not. Think positive. :)

Radio
Jun 5, 2012, 06:34 PM

Agreed

Notifications are still garbage

No widgets

Apple buy intelliscreenx, bitesms, and sbssettings and people say its "revolutionary!"

Oh no wait - is resolutionary!

And why doesn't my the new iPad utilize the real estate of the screen better?!?!

I want two apps running at once - split screen !!!

HurtinMinorKey
Jun 5, 2012, 06:35 PM
Great, I can't wait to wade through all the geeks on my way to/from work next week.

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2012, 06:36 PM

I don't think so. ML has already been revealed, so they don't have to spend too much time on it. If the Mac Pro is sporting a redesign, they will want to show it off. And if we're getting Retina Macs, they will want to demo that because it'll have implications for developers.

Also, they don't have to show off every new line--just the significant updates.

Radio
Jun 5, 2012, 06:36 PM
ICloud sucks

Tired of it

Can we get better gmail integration please?!

And google calendars too

Tired of u Apple hating on what most of us use.

ICloud is a dirty joke

Tim Cook double down on what people want

With all the new products and software being unveiled, can we expect the keynote to go on for a full three hours? This is getting kind of ridiculous. So to recap:

6. iMac spec bump/retina

This all seems kinda far-fetched but I'm one optimistic Apple fan! All I know for certain is my bank account will probably be hurting soon!!

Tinyluph
Jun 5, 2012, 06:37 PM

If they weren't going to mention them at WWDC why refresh the entire product line at the same time and why do it during WWDC at all?

Apple...
Agreed

No widgets

Apple buy intelliscreenx, bitesms, and sbssettings and people say its "revolutionary!"

And why doesn't my the new iPad utilize the real estate of the screen better?!?!

In the words of Ted Striker, "What a pisser!"

ECUpirate44
That's a clumsy phrase for Apple in my opinion. "go on to do"? Really? Needs a great action verb there.

Agreed. Apple should look into this. Paramedic methood (http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/635/01/)

yanksrock100
Really hope that "leak" wasn't true and we will see some retina on our new MacBooks:)

Radio
Jun 5, 2012, 06:39 PM
Really hope that "leak" wasn't true and we will see some retina on our new MacBooks:)

Overrated IMO

My eyes forgot the retina on my iPad

The resolution is over man!!!" -hippie voice

ZacNicholson
Jun 5, 2012, 06:40 PM
will there be a live stream?

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2012, 06:42 PM
will there be a live stream?

Probably not, hasn't been one in a while.

Wild-Bill
Jun 5, 2012, 06:43 PM
Kill iCloud
Reinstate MobileMe
Release new Mac Pro w/ graphics cards that aren't already obsolete
Profit

ethana
Jun 5, 2012, 06:47 PM

6. iMac spec bump/retina

iOS and Mountain Lion will get 80% of the showtime. The other goes to a "we're updating all Macs" blurb, with retina (potentially, but we'll see), Ivy Bridge, etc. MacBook Pro MAY get a redesign and pull 15% of the time away. The others will just be a quick spec bump. Sometimes Apple doesn't even announce them and just updates them on the web.

iOS will be Facebook integration, some new small features, maybe an API for notification widgets, Maps, updated built-in apps, but nothing major UI-related.

Mountain Lion will be pretty much a recap of everything we already know with maybe a new feature here or there.

All will be available in July.

There will be NO iTV or Apple TV related announcements. I will be very surprised.

----------

ICloud sucks

Tired of it

And google calendars too

ICloud is a dirty joke

I don't use gmail or Google Calendards... I use iCal and @me.com (iCloud) for email. Who's "most of us"? Can I see some hard facts please?

And why should Apple support their biggest competitor?

Tinyluph
Jun 5, 2012, 06:47 PM
Kill iCloud
Reinstate MobileMe

You're living in the past buddy.

ECUpirate44
Jun 5, 2012, 06:48 PM
Kill iCloud
Reinstate MobileMe

uhhh what?

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 06:49 PM
This looks very exciting.

Peace
Jun 5, 2012, 06:49 PM
Devs will get the GM of ML at WWDC.

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 06:52 PM
Kill iCloud
Reinstate MobileMe
Profit

How about just adding MobileMe features to iCloud and giving it SL support? MobileMe was horrible. Steve Jobs even hated it and cussed out the employees who developed it.

I feel your pain. I'm on Leopard.

----------

ICloud sucks

Tired of it

And google calendars too

ICloud is a dirty joke

Nobody uses Google Calendars. There's iCal, which is better (and is not a ripoff of iCal).

And what better Gmail integration do you want? You can already put your Gmail account into Mail!

Wild-Bill
Jun 5, 2012, 06:52 PM
How about just adding MobileMe features to iCloud and giving it SL support? MobileMe was horrible. Steve Jobs even hated it and cussed out the employees who developed it.(snip)

Ok. What he said ^

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2012, 06:53 PM
<snip>

All good predictions except that no way will ML be ready to ship in July.

Developer Preview 4.

uhhh what?

If I were to hazard a guess, he's still a bit jaded at the loss of iDisk.

gixxerfool
Jun 5, 2012, 06:53 PM
ICloud sucks

Tired of it

And google calendars too

ICloud is a dirty joke

Why wouldn't you just buy a droid?

KnightWRX
Jun 5, 2012, 06:54 PM

I think it's rather positive to think they won't rush the iOS6 and ML previews. ;) Remember iOS previews take a while on account that they announce new features and have top 3rd party developers showing off apps using the new OS features.

Also, with the news of the MBP 13" specs on the front page, it seems Ivy Bridge only brings us USB 3 and a spec bump accross the line. Doesn't seem like any of the rumored form factor improvements/HiDPI stuff made it to this round of Macs.

"One more thing" might be a surprise with 1 model line updated in the keynote, while the rest get the silent website treatment.

faroZ06
Overrated IMO

You're right. While retina is great on small devices (where "retina" means "a bit less than 1920x1080"), big ones can't benefit that much from it. I think only Mac OS X itself will be high-res enough to put that fancy screen to use. Oh, and images taken with a still camera will be easier to edit on the retina screens because they are usually more than 5MP.

ECUpirate44

Not yet.

apolloa
Jun 5, 2012, 06:55 PM
I think even more now that Apple will update it's 'Pro' line of computers then. Because Pro's make the great ideas?

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 06:56 PM
Ok. What he said ^

I still wouldn't mind them doing what you said. I just want it to work with my computer. Then again, I don't need it since I have my own server (a Mac Mini) for hosting my files :D

----------

I think even more now that Apple will update it's 'Pro' line of computers then. Because Pro's make the great ideas?

According to the last article, they are introducing a new Mac Pro very soon.

Rogifan
Jun 5, 2012, 06:59 PM

Jony Ive might disagree with you. :D

Radio
Jun 5, 2012, 07:01 PM
Why wouldn't you just buy a droid?

U mean android ;) droid is a moto phone

Love apple products but we need improvements

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 07:03 PM

Gmail is already integrated in iOS. It's called Mail.
Also, who uses Google calendars, especially when there is iCal?

Rogifan
Jun 5, 2012, 07:04 PM
iOS and Mountain Lion will get 80% of the showtime. The other goes to a "we're updating all Macs" blurb, with retina (potentially, but we'll see), Ivy Bridge, etc. MacBook Pro MAY get a redesign and pull 15% of the time away. The others will just be a quick spec bump. Sometimes Apple doesn't even announce them and just updates them on the web.

iOS will be Facebook integration, some new small features, maybe an API for notification widgets, Maps, updated built-in apps, but nothing major UI-related.

Mountain Lion will be pretty much a recap of everything we already know with maybe a new feature here or there.

All will be available in July.

There will be NO iTV or Apple TV related announcements. I will be very surprised.

----------

I don't use gmail or Google Calendards... I use iCal and @me.com (iCloud) for email. Who's "most of us"? Can I see some hard facts please?

And why should Apple support their biggest competitor?
If that's all we get with iOS it will be a big fail.

KnightWRX
Jun 5, 2012, 07:06 PM
If the Mac Pro is sporting a redesign, they will want to show it off.

Depends on how significant of a redesign. The Mac Mini redesign got the silent treatment.

----------

Droid is a Verizon brand applied to many OEM phones, including Motorola (but also HTC and others).

Spectrum Abuser
Jun 5, 2012, 07:12 PM
Kill iCloud
Reinstate MobileMe
Profit

Steve Jobs said it himself that MobileMe was a disaster. That's pretty bad when the companies CEO disses his own product.

mattburley7
Jun 5, 2012, 07:14 PM
so what are non developers getting next week? an iTunes 10.7 update with 11 coming in the fall?

acslater017
Jun 5, 2012, 07:16 PM

Really? I have the feeling iOS 6 is gonna be really great!

-Navigation (iOS' weakest point, IMO) is almost a shoe-in. It's been two years since they started purchasing navigation companies, and all signs point to a makeover in this area.

-Hopefully Siri will get some much-neeeded improvements in capability, reliability, and accuracy. Lots of potential there, but not quite up to Apple standards.

-Notification Center, "PC Free", iCloud, and other areas debuting in iOS 5 could go much deeper towards enhancing the user experience.

In hindisight, iOS has been quite iterative and steady. I mean, people cheered for copy and paste, folders, etc.

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2012, 07:18 PM
Depends on how significant of a redesign. The Mac Mini redesign got the silent treatment.[COLOR="#808080"]

Good point (though that was in July, not alongside an event). But I could see Apple announcing it during the keynote even if there is no major redesign, because those in attendance will be the target audience, and it's long-awaited.

so what are non developers getting next week? an iTunes 10.7 update with 11 coming in the fall?

I wouldn't count on anything. WWDC isn't really the place for iTunes.

Risco
Jun 5, 2012, 07:19 PM
Apple really do need something to freshen up iOS and for this reason, I think there will be a major update unlike any seen before. Apple make great hardware, but their software is always a little lacking in comparison.

Cougarcat
Jun 5, 2012, 07:21 PM
Apple make great hardware, but their software is always a little lacking in comparison.

Really? I use Apple products for the reverse reason.

Although, nothing does beat Apple's glass trackpads.

JMS803
Jun 5, 2012, 07:22 PM
any chance we'll get a live keynote on this?

acslater017
Jun 5, 2012, 07:26 PM
I think it's rather positive to think they won't rush the iOS6 and ML previews. ;) Remember iOS previews take a while on account that they announce new features and have top 3rd party developers showing off apps using the new OS features.

Also, with the news of the MBP 13" specs on the front page, it seems Ivy Bridge only brings us USB 3 and a spec bump accross the line. Doesn't seem like any of the rumored form factor improvements/HiDPI stuff made it to this round of Macs.

"One more thing" might be a surprise with 1 model line updated in the keynote, while the rest get the silent website treatment.

I'm thinking 10 minutes on intros, updates, etc. 50 minutes on iOS 6 - Navigation, Siri, Notification Center, iCloud. 25 minutes on Mountain Lion and release date. 30 minutes on new Macs :D Redesigned MBP. Spec bumps on MBA. "One More Thing" is new Mac Pros! Maybe something like, "Some have questioned our dedication to the Mac platform...well booyah! Look at these!" :cool:

No iPhones, no Apple TV OS.

KnightWRX
Jun 5, 2012, 07:29 PM
I'm thinking 10 minutes on intros, updates, etc. 50 minutes on iOS 6. 25 minutes on Mountain Lion. 30 minutes on new Macs :D

That's 1h 55m though. Keynote is 1h 30m long :

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/05/wwdc_2012_app.jpg

Don't forget, they also have a Q&A session in there.

youneverguess1
Jun 5, 2012, 07:29 PM

Next monday I will go in to work and patiently wait till the keynote starts at 1(Eastern Time). If there is no UI change i will literally stand up and punch the first coworker i see in the face.

Furthermore, if the next iPhone comes out with an extra .5 inch and they add another row of freaking apps my monitor will get some airplay across the office.

charlituna
Jun 5, 2012, 07:36 PM
In previous invitations the image has given a clue to what Apple is releasing and I feel as if the bright curved squares or "app icons" give a hint to something possibly including new app icon designs and a bright ui. None the less we'll find out in 6 days.

I think it is simpler than that. Apps are a form of software, which is the focus of WWDC and thus the likely focus of the keynote.

----------

Anyone else thinking WWDC will be all software again, with Mac updates happening silently

I've been saying that for weeks and folks just down rank me, call me stupid etc all depending on which site I'm saying it on

Risco
Jun 5, 2012, 07:37 PM
Next monday I will go in to work and patiently wait till the keynote starts at 1(Eastern Time). If there is no UI change i will literally stand up and punch the first coworker i see in the face.

Furthermore, if the next iPhone comes out with an extra .5 inch and they add another row of freaking apps my monitor will get some airplay across the office.

While the way you put your point across is a little OTT, I do agree to an extent. iOS is very much due for a UI change as the current look is getting a little tired. Also yes, another row of apps would not be enough to satisfy the masses.

I think the slogan "Where great ideas go on to do great things" pretty much confirms we are in for some kind of major change. Although historically Apple has always be evolutionary, rather than revolutionary with regards their software.

charlituna
Jun 5, 2012, 07:41 PM

I'm positive that the keynote was scheduled for 90 minutes and the event is all about their software so they aren't going to spend 80 minutes going on about new hardware in detail only to brush off the software. More like the other way around. IF there is any mention of hardware at all

----------

If they weren't going to mention them at WWDC why refresh the entire product line at the same time and why do it during WWDC at all?

It is NOT a fact that they are refreshing anything at all, much less when. New computers could come out tomorrow, next week or next month based on the facts that Apple has told us (being none)

SpyderBite
Jun 5, 2012, 07:41 PM
Mac updates also seem to be confirmed at this point.

Who confirmed this?

KnightWRX
Jun 5, 2012, 07:42 PM
I've been saying that for weeks and folks just down rank me, call me stupid etc all depending on which site I'm saying it on

WWDC is about developers, make sense they would preview upcoming software more than hardware. With the keynote being as short as planned, OS previews usually lasting a bit with 3rd party devs, and the keynote being on a Monday, a silent Tuesday website Mac release seems most probable.

SwissMac2
Jun 5, 2012, 07:47 PM
You can really tell Steve Jobs isn't around anymore when you see such boringly unimaginative Sub-titles as "Where great ideas go on to do great things".

What a shame.

DrDomVonDoom
Jun 5, 2012, 07:54 PM
Well from the look of the invite and banner, it really looks like they are pushing the Retina Display on something, the banner kind of gives that look of what a pixel seems like up close. Maybe the desktops will get Retina? Hopefully both Desktop and Macbooks.

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 08:01 PM
Steve Jobs said it himself that MobileMe was a disaster. That's pretty bad when the companies CEO disses his own product.

Haha yeah. I agree with Steve.

Then again, it's Steve Jobs. He yelled at his people all the time, including before 1984.

----------

What else did MobileMe have that iCloud didn't? I don't remember now. All I can think of is iDisk, which is not really needed if you use Dropbox (which is free). Apple also tried to buy Dropbox for their storage but couldn't.

----------

You can really tell Steve Jobs isn't around anymore when you see such boringly unimaginative Sub-titles as "Where great ideas go on to do great things".

What a shame.

Yeah, this sounds like the title of one of those "innovation" exhibits at Disney World that is usually sponsored by Siemens.

----------

Really? I use Apple products for the reverse reason.

Although, nothing does beat Apple's glass trackpads.

Agreed. The Mac hardware is good, but their software is great. I'd take a Mac even if Apple were to lower their hardware standards a lot because the OS contributes the most to the user experience, not the hardware (as shown in the iPhone).

----------

Well from the look of the invite and banner, it really looks like they are pushing the Retina Display on something, the banner kind of gives that look of what a pixel seems like up close. Maybe the desktops will get Retina? Hopefully both Desktop and Macbooks.

A retina iMac is unlikely at this point. That would require crazy resolution.

charlituna
Jun 5, 2012, 08:02 PM

who says they are getting anything. Apple isn't obligated to give anything to 'the rest of us'

JasonElise1983
Jun 5, 2012, 08:04 PM

I wouldn't wage my bets on it.... Typically Apple's banners are designed by an outside design firm who has no idea what is going on at the conference. It's usually just design something "bright, colorful, and use iPhone app icons" or something like that.

Don't read into it too much.

-je

sulpfiction

Is this a "dot release" of the OS?:rolleyes:

You're corny...And haven't a clue.

kiwiboi87
That's 1h 55m though. Keynote is 1h 30m long :

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/05/wwdc_2012_app.jpg)

Don't forget, they also have a Q&A session in there.

but apple could extend that tie frame? doesn't look like theres much planned for after the keynote
last year was 1.58
well thats they keynote video from the podcast,

apple might not show off the macs, unless theres major changes or updates to them
if its just a spec update, they will just update the store

JasonElise1983
Jun 5, 2012, 08:06 PM

Ideas do everything. Intellectual property is more valuable now than physical property. That's just an idea... and it's making money. That is definitely doing something.

-je

charlituna
Jun 5, 2012, 08:06 PM
but apple could extend that tie frame?

Before they publish the schedule perhaps but once they put it down 'in writing' it's locked and loaded.

KnightWRX
Jun 5, 2012, 08:14 PM
but apple could extend that tie frame? doesn't look like theres much planned for after the keynote

I'm guessing they're planning on filling that "not much planned" with "Lunch". ;)

The podcast included the Q&A. They can't run a 2 h keynote and then do another 30 minutes of Q&A. That would bring them to 12h30, which makes for a very short lunch. They'll give attendees and employees at least 1h 30 minutes for lunch.

TennisandMusic
Jun 5, 2012, 08:14 PM
Ideas do everything. Intellectual property is more valuable now than physical property. That's just an idea... and it's making money. That is definitely doing something.

-je

I don't think you understood.

Yamcha
Jun 5, 2012, 08:25 PM
I really hope iOS6 brings native multi-tasking gestures on iPhone & iPod Touch.. That would be awesome..

PJMAN2952
Jun 5, 2012, 08:36 PM
I can't wait for Mountain Lion to be announced! I got Mac OS X Lion as a free upgrade because I bought my Mac around the time Lion was being released. So I hope this will still be 30 bucks.

Macclone
Jun 5, 2012, 08:41 PM

Your attitude needs improvement...

AppleNewsTech
Jun 5, 2012, 08:41 PM
I don't think any of you understand this..."Where great ideas go on to do great things." They're obviously talking about new software/ a new product that we have little or no knowledge about. This would be the Apple TV. This was Steve's idea in which Cook fueled the speculation upon when he spoke at the D10 conference...let's not forget his mention of Siri, coming to the iPad and the Apple TV...that..is what Apple means by that. Boom goes the dynamite.:apple:

propynyl
Jun 5, 2012, 08:48 PM
In hindisight, iOS has been quite iterative and steady. I mean, people cheered for copy and paste, folders, etc.

Cut, copy, paste was a major update, not iterative at all!

VIP mail is iterative.

Yamcha
Jun 5, 2012, 08:52 PM
Anyone know If there will be live coverage?

austinguy23
Jun 5, 2012, 08:53 PM
The banner consists of squares that are Red, Blue, Green, or immediate shades resulting from combining any of those squares. They represent PIXELS!

In other words, Apple is hinting that WWDC will focus on retina displays.

JayJayAbels
Jun 5, 2012, 08:53 PM

The 7 "thumbs ups", I presume, are from people who don't fully understand what the word "iterative" means.

:rolleyes:

MacDav
Jun 5, 2012, 08:56 PM

It's pretty much a boring and non alliterative phrase. What happened to clever? Sounds like a run of the mill slogan from a run of the mill tech company. Not a good sign. We miss you Steve.

To all you sheep who voted me down: It's so easy to click an up or down button instead of actually thinking
and writing for yourself. Instead of taking the Wiesel way out why don't you tell me why I'm wrong. Tell me
why you think "Where great ideas go on to do great things." is a snappy and clever slogan and not just an average tech slogan. I'll be waiting...
I expect I'll probably be voted down instead of getting any thoughtful replies.

JayJayAbels
Jun 5, 2012, 09:01 PM
The banner consists of squares that are Red, Blue, Green, or immediate shades resulting from combining any of those squares. They represent PIXELS!

In other words, Apple is hinting that WWDC will focus on retina displays.

Exactly. How can anyone not see that? The logo... this banner... retina displays are the main theme. Maybe an Apple tv.

One thing is for (almost) certain now... this will be the largest, greatest, most ambitious WWDC of all time. MBP's. MBA's. iMacs. Mac Pros. Mountain Lion. iOS 6. Apple TV??? Ivy Bridge. Retina displays. Nvidia??? Light sabers. :eek:

----------

It's pretty much a boring and non alliterative phrase. What happened to clever? Sounds like a run of the mill slogan from a run of the mill tech company. Not a good sign. We miss you Steve.

Coming from a run-of-the-mill poster with a run-of-the-mill comment.

MacDav
Jun 5, 2012, 09:02 PM
I don't think any of you understand this..."Where great ideas go on to do great things." They're obviously talking about new software/ a new product that we have little or no knowledge about. This would be the Apple TV. This was Steve's idea in which Cook fueled the speculation upon when he spoke at the D10 conference...let's not forget his mention of Siri, coming to the iPad and the Apple TV...that..is what Apple means by that. Boom goes the dynamite.:apple:

You're missing the point. Assuming you are correct. There is always a clever way to say it. This is something Steve Balmer could have come up
with. Not up to par for Apple.

kiwiboi87
Jun 5, 2012, 09:16 PM
i don't think apple will showcase a Tv at WWDC,
why?
A, the keynote isn't long enough to cover, OSX, iOS, plus a apple tv
B, they wouldn't want to take the shine off iOS or osx, when WWDC is all about apps for those key platforms,

if anything apple will host a different keynote for the tv,

any new products or updates will be mac

cgk.emu
Jun 5, 2012, 09:19 PM

I do recall a keynote where Mr. Jobs said that Apple was fundamentally a software company, so I'd say yes.

MacDav
Jun 5, 2012, 09:20 PM
Exactly. How can anyone not see that? The logo... this banner... retina displays are the main theme. Maybe an Apple tv.

One thing is for (almost) certain now... this will be the largest, greatest, most ambitious WWDC of all time. MBP's. MBA's. iMacs. Mac Pros. Mountain Lion. iOS 6. Apple TV??? Ivy Bridge. Retina displays. Nvidia??? Light sabers. :eek:

----------

Coming from a run-of-the-mill poster with a run-of-the-mill comment.

Apparently, you're not smart enough to come up with anything original on your own. So you just repeat what I've already said. When you have nothing
to say, you go for a personal attack. Why don't you tell me why I'm wrong?

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 09:22 PM
How about you go buy a chrome book and Android phone and tablet. Yeah, they suck, but you can have your little google woodie by yourself.

Are you replying to me? Because if you are, you have horrible reading comprehension skills.

Watabou
Jun 5, 2012, 09:44 PM
No chance hoping iOS6 will still work with the 3GS huh? Still, I have been pretty happy with my 3GS. I'll probably not upgrade to the iPhone 5 unless both iOS6 and the iP5 have some pretty astonishing features that would prove immensely useful for me in college.

vvebsta
Jun 5, 2012, 09:45 PM
The tag lines haven't seemed up to par since Steve passes. Am I wrong?

Swordylove
Jun 5, 2012, 09:54 PM
I'm so excited to see the new iMac!!

MacinDoc
Jun 5, 2012, 10:06 PM
Anyone know If there will be live coverage?
Is my sarcasm meter malfunctioning?

If not, as usual, Apple will post the keynote after it is finished. All of the tech sites will have reporters present who will do live blogs/tweets/etc. MR usually posts a list of attendees providing live coverage on the day of the keynote.

tkhan456
Jun 5, 2012, 10:21 PM
I guess everyone is assuming no iMac redesign, huh? That's sad. I've been waiting a while for one. Still have a 24". The line needs a new fresh look.

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 10:24 PM
I guess everyone is assuming no iMac redesign, huh? That's sad. I've been waiting a while for one. Still have a 24". The line needs a new fresh look.

I miss it when it actually said "iMac" on the iMacs.

----------

The tag lines haven't seemed up to par since Steve passes. Am I wrong?

Steve Jobs called the iPad "magical". That's pretty horrible if you ask me. What are you, Apple, Disneyland?

cvaldes
Jun 5, 2012, 10:26 PM
Considering that Steven P Jobs was the largest individual shareholder of DIS, the answer would be closer to "Maybe."

Remember, at the time of his death, Steve was raking in about $40 million in DIS dividends. Apple was only paying him a dollar a year, so DIS was making sure he paid property taxes, etc.

But, yes, I know you were trying to be amusingly rhetorical.

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 10:26 PM
I think a better slogan is "Where great businesses reveal their great products". That's not even a good slogan, but it's better than the one they're using.

drewisanapple
Jun 5, 2012, 10:27 PM
Before they publish the schedule perhaps but once they put it down 'in writing' it's locked and loaded.

I don't think you understand. That "set-time" is a time based on what they think will take place. They don't set it for sure. They didn't set a time of 1 hour and 58 minutes last year. It just takes its time.

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 10:28 PM
Considering that Steven P Jobs was the largest individual shareholder of DIS, the answer would be closer to "Yes."

Haha
But actually, Steve Jobs ≠ Apple. Or did Apple also have DIS stock?

drewisanapple
Jun 5, 2012, 10:28 PM
I'm guessing they're planning on filling that "not much planned" with "Lunch". ;)

The podcast included the Q&A. They can't run a 2 h keynote and then do another 30 minutes of Q&A. That would bring them to 12h30, which makes for a very short lunch. They'll give attendees and employees at least 1h 30 minutes for lunch.

I believe you are confused with D. Apple Keynotes don't include Q&As.

LetMeBlastU
Jun 5, 2012, 10:56 PM
Saaaaweeeeeet

moderngamenewb
Jun 5, 2012, 11:00 PM
I'm expecting iOS6 and Mountain Lion previews and release dates. (Hopefully not the generalized "summer" they usually do.

Mac updates also seem to be confirmed at this point. How much time will be spent on them, who knows? I don't want to get into which ones will be updated and how much of an update each gets. Let's just let it happen when it happens and complain then.

I don't expect an iPhone 5 yet. I suspect the New iPhone will be released when iOS6 is out so they can put it right on the phone day 1. But would they do the same for the Mac's? Probably not. Lion is great as it is.

I assume both iOS6 and Mountain Lion will be free. Yeah, free. Sounds strange, but Apple did say they were going down a new path now. If anything ML will be $30 at most. iOS will be free no matter what. I wouldn't be surprised if ML was free though. Since OS X updates are going to be yearly now and they're integrating update into the App Store, they'll probably want to push them right to your computer as soon as they release them. And at this point there's no big reason to charge anymore. Especially since it's now download only and their money comes from hardware. OS X is just part of the hardware. Part of the whole widget.

I think Mountain Lion will be $30 dollars like Snow Leopard and Lion. I thought the new path was releasing an OS every year like IOS instead of every 2 or 3 years

JasonElise1983
Jun 5, 2012, 11:09 PM
I don't think you understood.

Well if I didn't understand, you're comment didn't make much sense. I was pretty clear. Please explain?

zombierunner
Jun 5, 2012, 11:15 PM
By the looks of it, something really special is going to be announced this year. Wonder what it is?

Perhaps something really cool in iOS 6 or perhaps new iPhone with 3D screen or something really really kewl.

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 11:27 PM
By the looks of it, something really special is going to be announced this year. Wonder what it is?

Perhaps something really cool in iOS 6 or perhaps new iPhone with 3D screen or something really really kewl.

Anything but a 3D iPhone or Blu Ray on Macs, please.

There is actually a 3D Android phone out there.

realeric
Jun 5, 2012, 11:29 PM
the tag lines haven't seemed up to par since steve passes. Am i wrong?

+1.

WWDC slogan for 2008 was "A landmark event. In more ways than one" (4 Stars)
WWDC slogan for 2009 was "One Year Later, Light-Years Ahead" (5 Stars)
WWDC slogan for 2010 was "The center of the app universe" (4 Stars)
WWDC slogan for 2011 was "Join us for a preview of the future of iOS and Mac OSX" (3 Stars)

Now it's "Where great ideas go on to do great things". (2 Stars)

Steve would've chosen "Where great ideas become great things" instead.

drewisanapple
Jun 5, 2012, 11:33 PM
Anything but a 3D iPhone or Blu Ray on Macs, please.

There is actually a 3D Android phone out there.

who cares?

It's not Apple's Main Game to Chase the "Android". No reason too.

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 11:43 PM
who cares?

It's not Apple's Main Game to Chase the "Android". No reason too.

I was just saying that there is already a 3D Android, and it's not very good. I don't want a 3D iPhone.

oliversl
Jun 5, 2012, 11:44 PM
cant wait

lmoralesmed
Jun 5, 2012, 11:56 PM
Is that you Eric?, Larry? :apple:

ICloud sucks

Tired of it

And google calendars too

ICloud is a dirty joke

URFloorMatt
Jun 6, 2012, 12:24 AM

6. iMac spec bump/retina

#1 - Lots? Probably not. Six to eight key features, like they always do.

#3 - Will fold into #1 and #2.

#4 through #7 will happen in about three minutes.

#8 - Definitely not happening. At best, we get something about expanding Apple TV to include apps or something as part of iOS 6.

I predict it'll be between 60 and 90 minutes, same as always.

RedCroissant
Jun 6, 2012, 01:03 AM
I am hoping that they bring even more iOS style functionality to the Mac. I would love to be able to put folders anywhere on the dock, or to have nothing but folders on the dock.

You want to know what my prediction is for this event?? A redesigned iPod nano with a forward facing camera. No, I'm not kidding.

drewisanapple
Jun 6, 2012, 01:10 AM
I predict it'll be between 60 and 90 minutes, same as always.

MacWorld 2007 -1 hour 45 minutes
MacWorld 2008 - 1 Hour 16 Minutes
WWDC 2008 - 1 hour 45 minutes
WWDC 2009 - 2 Hours 1 minute
MacWorld 2009 - 1 hour 34 minutes
WWDC 2010 - 1 hour 52 minutes
WWDC 2011 - 1 Hour 58 minutes

So 60-90 minutes isn't "same as always".
The only "keynote" given under 90 minutes was in 2008 (on that list).

GD0X
Jun 6, 2012, 02:15 AM
Anyone else think the title pays homage to Steve?

Great ideas (Steve) making the great company and products of the future?

Skika
Jun 6, 2012, 02:36 AM

No.

toughboy
Jun 6, 2012, 02:47 AM

Steve is gone, I don't think they will ever use that term :( :apple:

----------

Definitely yes.

Peace
Jun 6, 2012, 02:49 AM

Steve is gone, I don't think they will ever use that term :( :apple:

----------

Definitely yes.

The "Great ideas go on to do great things" is a reference to apps.

4saus
Jun 6, 2012, 03:02 AM
If you look at the banner you'll see white dots. If you connect the dots you'll read TV. (https://www.icloud.com/journal/#4;CAEQARoQKlYd-0gXLC7m1pgdMtL_wg;DDF3E5F9-F9F1-4650-AC1C-BE397FCC45AB)

TC03
Jun 6, 2012, 03:02 AM
People are going to be disappointed if they expect new Macs, new TV's, ML ánd iOS 6.

I think it will be iOS 6/ML only.

Peace
Jun 6, 2012, 03:04 AM
If you look at the banner you'll see white dots. If you connect the dots you'll read TV. (https://www.icloud.com/journal/#4;CAEQARoQKlYd-0gXLC7m1pgdMtL_wg;DDF3E5F9-F9F1-4650-AC1C-BE397FCC45AB)

Dude. Are you serious ?

timbuk2
Jun 6, 2012, 03:33 AM

seems like proof to me!

KnightWRX
Jun 6, 2012, 04:03 AM
I do recall a keynote where Mr. Jobs said that Apple was fundamentally a software company, so I'd say yes.

Mr. Jobs also said that people don't read anymore and that no one wants to watch video on an iPod. ;)

Apple is not a software company, nor a hardware company. But WWDC is not about Apple as a company, it's about Apple's leverage of the developer community to build added value for their ecosystem to sell their systems. Hence, they will concentrate on showing off software.

----------

I believe you are confused with D. Apple Keynotes don't include Q&As.

There's always a Q&A after keynotes. I'm not confused with D.

JPLC
Jun 6, 2012, 04:16 AM
About the banner design:
Seems like Additive colors to me. That's an effect a graphic designer would'nt use in the first place. So this could be for a reason. Keep in mind that Sharp has developed a five color screen that could be sold as "retina for colors".

Quote:
This five-primary-color display comprises “Multi-Primary-Color Technology” that features special image processing circuitry, in addition to the display panel whose pixel structure is based on five-color filters that add the colors C (cyan) and Y (yellow) to the three colors of R (red), G (green), and B (blue). This combination expands the color gamut (range of reproducible colors) that can be rendered within the color spectrum that humans can discern with the unaided eye, and enables the display to reproduce more than 99% of real surface colors*2. Nearly all real surface colors can be rendered faithfully, including colors that have been difficult to render using conventional LCD monitors—the color of the sea (emerald blue), brass instruments (golden yellow), and roses (crimson red), for example. As adoption of this technology will enable more efficient use of light energy produced by the backlight, this display will also provide greater energy savings.

Source: http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/090529.html

I would say: Retina resolution? No way! No use to make that happen unless your sitting ten inches from your screen. The next revolution for the most realistic colors ever seen on a television and the next quality standard? Yes!

mukade
Jun 6, 2012, 04:42 AM
'go on to do?'

The tag line looks a little clumsy to me.

TiZon
Jun 6, 2012, 04:53 AM
I can see the Facebook-symbol on the banner. Hint at a deeper integration?

Thex1138
Jun 6, 2012, 05:16 AM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/05/wwdc-2012-banners-where-great-ideas-go-on-to-do-great-things/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/photo.jpg)

Apple has already started decorating Moscone (http://www.moscone.com/site/do/index) with banners in preparation for WWDC 2012. The first banners show a collage of app icons and the wording: "WWDC2012: Where great ideas go on to do great things."

The annual developer's conference kicks off on Monday with a Keynote Address. Apple is expected to introduce a number of new products and likely preview iOS 6.

Thanks Nelson

Article Link: WWDC 2012 Banners: "Where great ideas go on to do great things." (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/05/wwdc-2012-banners-where-great-ideas-go-on-to-do-great-things/)

Perhaps it could better be phrased...
"Great ideas, Great things."
:)

kiwiboi87
Jun 6, 2012, 05:19 AM
[/COLOR]

There's always a Q&A after keynotes. I'm not confused with D.

not on the podcasts,
i think thats what he meant
maybe

JPLC
Jun 6, 2012, 05:20 AM
You can read "go on" in different ways. Could be for a purpose don't you think?

nick_elt
Jun 6, 2012, 05:31 AM
+1.

WWDC slogan for 2011 was "Join us for a preview of the future of iOS and Mac OSX" (3 Stars)

Yes, because you and Steve think alike. Or did he personally tell you this?????

----------

I just got a giraffe.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 6, 2012, 05:44 AM
The "Great ideas go on to do great things" is a reference to apps.

Or... the developers attending the conference. The Jobs era has ended and Monday starts the Cook era in earnest. Perhaps it's the opening offering of the Cook era that it's not going to be it's not all about Apple; that there is a realization in the company that 3rd party devs are key to Apple's success.

ADMProducer
Jun 6, 2012, 05:49 AM
Can Apple not just make a nice looking banner without it being analysed?

dazzer21
Jun 6, 2012, 05:54 AM

6. iMac spec bump/retina

Interesting. I don't know why I've got this on the brain, but I've got this notion that the iMac and Thunderbolt display *might* just be curved? I'm thinking that Apple might have the jump on the availability of flexible glass/panels...?

Rogifan
Jun 6, 2012, 06:05 AM

I'm with you there. When Tim Cook says their working on things that wil blow your mind I expect more than just a map app that's probably won't be as good as Google's and redesigned iTunes/app stores. They have the opportunity to knock it out of the park; I hope they do.

----------

WWDC is about developers, make sense they would preview upcoming software more than hardware. With the keynote being as short as planned, OS previews usually lasting a bit with 3rd party devs, and the keynote being on a Monday, a silent Tuesday website Mac release seems most probable.

I migh agree if they were just updating the innards but if we get a thinner MBP and retina displays and if the Mac Pro is updated and redesigned I can see them talking about it. It's not like WWDC has never featured hardware before.

vikpt
Jun 6, 2012, 06:16 AM
SLIMMER, MORE POWERFUL, HIGH RES DISPLAYS AMONG ALL 13, 15 and 17 in. MACBOOK PRO'S PLEASE!!! Seriously...

AndyK
Jun 6, 2012, 06:18 AM
Historically does the WWDC just show a pre beta preview of the new iSO software or it is more in a close to release stage?

ranReloaded
Jun 6, 2012, 06:18 AM
At least if they release iOS6, I won't keep thinking iOS5 looks like iOSS. :rolleyes:

No, it will look like iOSG :)

Skika
Jun 6, 2012, 06:23 AM
No, it will look like iOSG :)

Only on non-retina screens :)

Piggie
Jun 6, 2012, 06:33 AM
I hope I'm wrong.

But does anyone really think iOS6 is going to be really any different, and new UI, any new really amazing features.
Or just the same old iOS its always been with a little bit more polish and some small tweaks.

omenatarhuri
Jun 6, 2012, 06:38 AM
SLIMMER, MORE POWERFUL, HIGH RES DISPLAYS AMONG ALL 13, 15 and 17 in. MACBOOK PRO'S PLEASE!!! Seriously...
I can just about taste the salt in your tears.

pubby
Jun 6, 2012, 06:38 AM
'go on to do?'

The tag line is iambic pentameter, which explains the wording; you have to make up 10 beats in the line.

unplugme71
Jun 6, 2012, 06:50 AM
I see the following talked about during the Keynote, probably in this order:

1. Mountain Lion
2. iOS 6
- (maybe iPhone 5)
3. iCloud updates

Macs - I don't think new Mac's will be talked about. They will just appear in the store. There's nothing really changed in them to make a topic for discussion.

Apple TV - I just don't see it happening.

----------

I hope I'm wrong.

But does anyone really think iOS6 is going to be really any different, and new UI, any new really amazing features.
Or just the same old iOS its always been with a little bit more polish and some small tweaks.

I see at least 2-3 big changes or additions being released. Maps being one of hem.

I'm sure they will highlight 10 features, 3 or 4 of which will be like eh, no biggie.

I just don't see or hear enough rumors on other features, not like how previous versions were with Notifications, Copy & Paste, etc.

Radio
Jun 6, 2012, 06:53 AM
Is that you Eric?, Larry? :apple:

More like Steve jobs

He'd agree that iCloud sucks

Are u saying it's a great service or u going to lie to my face?

Do u know how much I'd love one email but their mail client isn't anywhere near gmail.

I'll try iCal though - thanks for the tip

ChrisTX
Jun 6, 2012, 06:56 AM

The Mac hardware is due for s major refresh, and is rumored to be getting one(Though, I wonder where are the leaks?). While I'm not in the market for a new Mac right now(purchased an early 11 MBP), I'd still love to see some significant changes as this unibody design is getting long in the tooth.

verniesgarden
Jun 6, 2012, 06:56 AM
People are going to be disappointed if they expect new Macs, new TV's, ML ánd iOS 6.

I think it will be iOS 6/ML only.
but WWDC is a place where they'd announce apps on the appleTV...

Blueflame1138
Jun 6, 2012, 07:08 AM
Here's my annual WWDC warning.

Don't get you're hopes up too high, we know how it goes:

Everyone wants to be believe that Apple WILL do this, that and the other.

And when they don't, or it's less than expected, it's an almighty fail.

And we do this every year!:D

Blueflame

Piggie
Jun 6, 2012, 07:08 AM
I see at least 2-3 big changes or additions being released. Maps being one of hem.

I'm sure they will highlight 10 features, 3 or 4 of which will be like eh, no biggie.

I just don't see or hear enough rumors on other features, not like how previous versions were with Notifications, Copy & Paste, etc.

Myself, I don't see new mapping company being anything to do with iOS6.
It's just a map, I don't care who makes it.

I'm thinking of changes to the UI, something different to just pre-space icons on a static wallpaper you swipe left and right on, and run full screen or nothing.

Something REALLY new, like (now we have the retina display) multiple windows, sub folders, anything that's a fresh change.

bbeagle
Jun 6, 2012, 07:10 AM
I see the following talked about during the Keynote, probably in this order:

1. Mountain Lion

A developer preview will definately be there, along with features for a release in late summer (August or September).

2. iOS 6
- (maybe iPhone 5)

iOS 6 features will be announced with many new features. iOS 6 internals will also be introduced as 'Apple Confidential Information' but will be leaked anyways. In the 'internals', I think Apple will 'strongly hint' at a larger screen, but no phone will be introduced until September.

3. iCloud updates

Macs - I don't think new Mac's will be talked about. They will just appear in the store. There's nothing really changed in them to make a topic for discussion.

Disagree. The new Macs will be talked about for a couple of minutes, because this is one thing that developers really care about - the machines they work on.

I also think that new APIs for the Apple TV (puck-shaped box) will be introduced. Hopefully apps will be available for the Apple TV after this. I've been waiting!

BornAgainMac
Jun 6, 2012, 07:14 AM
'go on to do?'

No Steve to fix it anymore.

Compile 'em all
Jun 6, 2012, 07:21 AM
Can't wait! Will be attending WWDC for the first time ever!

If any other devs on here want to meet up, write me a private message.

JPLC
Jun 6, 2012, 07:25 AM
Don't get to exited about iOS6. I would never bet my money on a new revolutionary iOS.

monaarts
Jun 6, 2012, 07:28 AM
i also think that new apis for the apple tv (puck-shaped box) will be introduced. Hopefully apps will be available for the apple tv after this. I've been waiting!

me too!!!!!

the8thark
Jun 6, 2012, 07:49 AM
+1.

I think the 2012 slogan is the best of the lot. Why?
The rest are very imaginative and sound good but really tell you nothing. Sure 2011 says iOS and OS X, but "duh" we already knew that.

The 2012 one on the other hand gives us a lot of possible scenarios to ponder. Apple are saying a thing. Most people would call hardware a thing. Cause you can hold a thing. Software usually is not a thing. Cause you can't hold it. You can only hold the media or computer the software is on. This gives me the impression there could be more hardware talk then most peopl expect.

Secondly there's always some kind of iOS or OS X talk in the keynotes. Usually about the great ideas/features in the 2 OSes. And this gets me thinking maybe Apple is trying to say:

"We have great ideas originally used in our OSes but we improved no them and extrapolated on them to come up with some great things (ie hardware).

The other option is the keynote is all about great things or achievements developers can do with great ideas that are inspired from the world around them. And this world being so easily captured with Apple software as music or video or photos or other things. And maybe Apple has some new ideas to share with us that they hope or believe will lead on to become great things by all the developers out there.

So it is for this reason I think the 2012 slogan is the best.

(PS. The 2012 slogan and what you think Jobs would have chosen are similar but have very different meanings indeed. Subtle changes but they make a big difference).

preyan
Jun 6, 2012, 07:50 AM
I'm expecting an announcement on iOS6 and MacBook update.
I think iPhone 5 will come in late July or late Sept/early Oct. Apples strategy is to have one major announcement every quarter. They won't announce too much in one announcement.

sulpfiction
Jun 6, 2012, 07:58 AM
I really think Apple will unveil their new television in addition to iPad Mini, the new iPhone and a revolutionary entirely new product that a world-renowned designer has been working on.

Of course there will be new MacBook Airs, MacBook Pros, iMacs, Mac Minis and Mac Pros to keep computer users satisfied. I'm also expecting a new Apple Keyboard and Mouse, and potentially a new retina cinema display too.

You can't be serious, can you? You are in for a big let down.

jonnysods
Jun 6, 2012, 08:07 AM
I hope it's a mix of Mac and iOS updates.

They should do two WWDC's in two adjoining weeks, one for Mac one for iOS. It must be a zoo in that place and I'm sure they would sell out easy enough.

coopj12
Jun 6, 2012, 08:08 AM

This is the first response that actually makes sense. It's totally a hint of Steve Job's ideas coming to reality.

macandiPhone
Jun 6, 2012, 08:10 AM
I like the slogan used particularly because it depicts a much more wider approach and a move to further improve on the products with the great ideas of today.

Steve will be happy for this....RIP!!!:):):):)

iZac
Jun 6, 2012, 08:20 AM
But are there any covered up ones? :D

stockscalper
Jun 6, 2012, 08:23 AM
Got to love that banner ... then only ideas Apple has is deciding what to copy from Windows and Android phones.

tiago136
Jun 6, 2012, 08:28 AM
Overrated IMO

Yes, my eyes also forget the retina on my iPad.

But I only need to take a look at the 1st iPad screen, and my eyes are immediately reminded of what retina is and why it is so good to have!!

Retina, at least on the iPad (when compared to the previews models), is big! Let's see how it would be on Macbooks.

crazy4apple
Jun 6, 2012, 08:28 AM
and the let the Bloodbath Begin :D:D:D:D:D

Ciclismo
Jun 6, 2012, 08:31 AM
The catch-phrase may not be the best, but at least it's not like the unofficial slogan of most corporations "Where great ideas go to die."

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 6, 2012, 08:32 AM
Here's my annual WWDC warning.

Don't get you're hopes up too high, we know how it goes:

Everyone wants to be believe that Apple WILL do this, that and the other.

And when they don't, or it's less than expected, it's an almighty fail.

And we do this every year!:D

Blueflame

ahhhh!!! I know you're right, but I can't help it! haha.

Lowering expectations... lowering expectations....

Ok so we already know exactly what ML has... shouldn't expect anything to be added...
iOS 6 is rumored to have no major system changes, just refreshes of the stock apps...
Mac updates look to be minor spec bumps...
And an Apple TV is a fools dream...

I must Keep thinking these things to temper expectations!

tiago136
Jun 6, 2012, 08:33 AM
ICloud sucks

Tired of it

And google calendars too

ICloud is a dirty joke

What do you mean with that?

I use both iCloud and Google accounts, in both I use mail, contacts and calendars.
The google account syncs perfectly on all my devices. Mail, contacts and calendar, perfectly fine!

What are you complaining about?

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 6, 2012, 08:34 AM
The catch-phrase may not be the best, but at least it's not like the unofficial slogan of most corporations "Where great ideas go to die."

on the pulse app on my iPhone the title of the article was cut off on "where great ideas go..." and I loled in my head as I imagined it saying "to die" even though I already knew what it said.

KnightWRX
Jun 6, 2012, 08:50 AM
I migh agree if they were just updating the innards but if we get a thinner MBP and retina displays and if the Mac Pro is updated and redesigned I can see them talking about it. It's not like WWDC has never featured hardware before.

I might agree if not for the leaked specs of the MBP 13". Last time we got such a leak, all the rumored "changes" didn't materialize (remember the 2011 refresh and the early box pictures. We had had tons of rumors of the same kind, HiDPI, new casings, slimmer form factors). I'm thinking the Macs are only getting Ivy Bridge and USB 3.0 this round, no form factor changes, no big sweeping "No Ethernet/ODD in Pros", no HiDPI displays :

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/68_4649469_6191093e652e866.jpg

NEWUSER77
Jun 6, 2012, 08:54 AM
"Where great ideas go on to do great things"

This must be the worst Apple tag line I have ever seen.

"go on to do" ... horrible

alent1234
Jun 6, 2012, 08:57 AM

I use both iCloud and Google accounts, in both I use mail, contacts and calendars.
The google account syncs perfectly on all my devices. Mail, contacts and calendar, perfectly fine!

icloud is OK for photos, but for documents dropbox rules. other than file system access, dropbox is multi platform.

PerplexShyt
Jun 6, 2012, 08:58 AM
that tagline on the banner doesn't sound like Jobs would have approved it.

Am I the only one that feels this way? It sounds too non-apple-ish

KnightWRX
Jun 6, 2012, 09:01 AM

The more I think of it, the more I think Maps would be larger than just iOS. Think iCloud, Mac and iOS. It won't be an "iOS 6 feature" moreso than a new iCloud feature announced maybe with the iCloud portion of the presentation (last year, WWDC's keynote was divided in 3, Lion, iOS 5, iCloud).

windon
Jun 6, 2012, 09:02 AM
I read "Where great ideas go on to DIE"

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 6, 2012, 09:04 AM
icloud is OK for photos, but for documents dropbox rules. other than file system access, dropbox is multi platform.

I agree iCloud has a lot of shortcomings. But it is in its infancy and hopefully some of these things will be mitigated with iOS6 & ML.

Wow really? Can we stop with the "Steve Jobs would never have approved of this" comments already? Especially with something as insignificant as wording on a sign.

NEWUSER77
Jun 6, 2012, 09:04 AM

No, I agree with you. It's amateurish.

(I doubt Jobs used to approve every tagline though. I don't think this has got anything to do with Jobs. It's just an example of bad copy!)

KnightWRX
Jun 6, 2012, 09:06 AM
Disagree. The new Macs will be talked about for a couple of minutes, because this is one thing that developers really care about - the machines they work on.

I disagree. Developers care more about APIs during these kinds of conferences, new ones and polish added to old ones. If they only have a few minutes, that's a very good reason to do a silent update on Tuesday morning. Why rush things ?

Macs are coming as a silent update for most of the line-up. If Apple doesn't do a 3 part keynote of OS X/iOS/iCloud, then maybe we'll get a half hour dedicated to Macs. If they do, forget hardware.

Remember folks, keynote is 1 hour and 30 minutes + 30 minutes Q&A, bringing it to close at noon. They can't over stretch it if they want to have lunch before the 1:30 p.m. event.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 6, 2012, 09:08 AM
The more I think of it, the more I think Maps would be larger than just iOS. Think iCloud, Mac and iOS. It won't be an "iOS 6 feature" moreso than a new iCloud feature announced maybe with the iCloud portion of the presentation (last year, WWDC's keynote was divided in 3, Lion, iOS 5, iCloud).

uhh... I don't really see how maps could be an iCloud feature. Syncing isn't really something that is involved with maps. I also don't see Apple releasing their Maps app on the Mac either. Maybe.. but I still don't see how iCloud would really fit in. Do a search on your Mac and it appears on your iPhone? I dunno.

jamesryanbell
Jun 6, 2012, 09:13 AM

Agreed.

imgrindinhomie
Jun 6, 2012, 09:16 AM
Anybody expecting to see hardware.... It's not happening!

This years theme is all about Apple tv software! Yeah we'll see ML and iOS 6 updates and that will be cool but the BIG, BIG focus is on Apple TV! They are going to force all the content provider and the cable company to play nice with Apple. This is how they will really make a mark within this market. The Devs will make it happen!

kalsta
Jun 6, 2012, 09:21 AM
I think the 2012 slogan is the best of the lot. Why?
The rest are very imaginative and sound good but really tell you nothing. Sure 2011 says iOS and OS X, but "duh" we already knew that.

The 2012 one on the other hand gives us a lot of possible scenarios to ponder. Apple are saying a thing. Most people would call hardware a thing. Cause you can hold a thing. Software usually is not a thing. Cause you can't hold it. You can only hold the media or computer the software is on. This gives me the impression there could be more hardware talk then most peopl expect.

Huh? The slogan talks about doing 'great things'. An action or outcome is implied, not an object you can hold.

I'd love to see amazing new hardware announced, and there may be… but personally, I don't get that feeling from the banner. People seem to want to find hidden codes in it, but at face value the words refer to nothing more than the process by which a developer's idea becomes a working app, capable of doing 'great things'. The image reflects this too, with apps seemingly coming out of thin air on the left, and getting bigger to the right. At the end of the day, that's the process of app development, and that's what a developers conference is all about. So I don't see anything unexpected or particularly remarkable about the banner.

But hey, maybe Tim will pull out 'Five more things' right at the end and I'll have to eat my words.

applefanDrew
Jun 6, 2012, 09:22 AM
I disagree. Developers care more about APIs during these kinds of conferences, new ones and polish added to old ones. If they only have a few minutes, that's a very good reason to do a silent update on Tuesday morning. Why rush things ?

Macs are coming as a silent update for most of the line-up. If Apple doesn't do a 3 part keynote of OS X/iOS/iCloud, then maybe we'll get a half hour dedicated to Macs. If they do, forget hardware.

Remember folks, keynote is 1 hour and 30 minutes + 30 minutes Q&A, bringing it to close at noon. They can't over stretch it if they want to have lunch before the 1:30 p.m. event.

There's no Q&A at WWDC opening keynotes.

KnightWRX
Jun 6, 2012, 09:22 AM
uhh... I don't really see how maps could be an iCloud feature. Syncing isn't really something that is involved with maps. I also don't see Apple releasing their Maps app on the Mac either. Maybe.. but I still don't see how iCloud would really fit in. Do a search on your Mac and it appears on your iPhone? I dunno.

What about apps on Mac that use geolocation/mapping, think photo tagging. ;) (iPhoto uses maps for one).

Then you have all the locations you've tagged on maps that need syncing between your devices, so that you can fix up pictures without geolocation data from your own Map database of locations, all independant of the device where you built this database.

Voila. A little imagination people.

RedCroissant
Jun 6, 2012, 09:27 AM
I hope I'm wrong.

I think that iOS6 might bring more sharing possibilities. Such as Facebook of course, but I mean more like iMessage in that it could allow for easier access to file transfer that's like airdrop. Maybe they'll even make it so you can put Newsstand in a folder normally(here's hoping).

QuiteSure
Jun 6, 2012, 09:28 AM
I'm not a developer but it would be great to attend the conference and soak up the excitement. So many ideas, so many smart people.

drewisanapple
Jun 6, 2012, 09:30 AM
Got to love that banner ... then only ideas Apple has is deciding what to copy from Windows and Android phones.

You're a joke. Apple reinvented the Smartphone. They made possible all this software on phones truly a thing of prevelance. So for you to trash the fact they started and continue to grow on their original platform, you have no business to be here.

The Windows Phones and Android Phones have different things in them, so what.

amorya

Devs care more about new things that they can support in their apps. Macs would fit in there if they had a retina display, but just spec bumps wouldn't really interest devs in that context.

However, the main keynote isn't usually the developer focussed one. There's a "Platforms Kickoff" session later on the Monday that's essentially a second keynote just for the developers —*and that's where all the juicy stuff about new APIs and software features will be found.

I reckon we'll see one of retina Macs, new AppleTV OS with apps, or iOS 6. There will also be at least one surprise in Mountain Lion (which will be released late summer). I'm really hoping that the big surprise there will be that iTunes is cut up into separate apps (Music, Videos, iOS App Store, Music Store, iSync), but I don't hold out much hope.

For dev focussed things, there's been a bit of talk of a Siri API recently…

Dionte
One of the few times during the year I actually look forward to a Monday.

kalsta
Jun 6, 2012, 09:31 AM
But hey, maybe Tim will pull out 'Five more things' right at the end and I'll have to eat my words.

Or maybe 27 more things according to this hot off the press…! (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/06/alleged-new-part-numbers-suggest-over-a-dozen-new-mac-models-coming-at-wwdc/)

amorya
Jun 6, 2012, 09:33 AM
I'm not a developer but it would be great to attend the conference and soak up the excitement. So many ideas, so many smart people.

Hehe. Sadly with the rate it's selling out these days, not even all developers get tickets! (I'm not bitter that this year my boss gets to go and I don't, oh no!)

It is a great atmosphere though. The best things about the conference are the discussions in the hallways and the labs, not the sessions themselves.

drewisanapple
Jun 6, 2012, 09:33 AM
They can't over stretch it if they want to have lunch before the 1:30 p.m. event.

on Monday, it says there isn't an event until 2, by the way, on top of your other inaccuracies.

Nimrad
Jun 6, 2012, 09:37 AM
Of course harware is related to app developing. IF there is announced some retina macs it would make perfect sense to announce it to developers as they are the ones in need of upgrading their own apps to a HiDPI-app. Hardware announcements that are highly connected to how people write their apps are relevant.

We'll definitely see Mountain Lion, probably some iOS 6 updates, hopefully retina macs and apps for apple tv

KnightWRX
Jun 6, 2012, 09:45 AM
on Monday, it says there isn't an event until 2, by the way, on top of your other inaccuracies.

I didn't relook at the picture I posted 3 times yesterday with the event schedule, so sue me. :p

Thanks for the correction.

----------

Of course harware is related to app developing. IF there is announced some retina macs it would make perfect sense to announce it to developers as they are the ones in need of upgrading their own apps to a HiDPI-app. Hardware announcements that are highly connected to how people write their apps are relevant.

We'll definitely see Mountain Lion, probably some iOS 6 updates, hopefully retina macs and apps for apple tv

Apple could simply announce HiDPI as a software feature and stay silent on actual hardware support.

But again, the few leaks of specs we've had tend to indicate no HiDPI monitors. We'll see.

I'd rather not get my hopes up and be disappointed. Rather keep the expectations low and be pleasantly surprised.

Astroexe
Jun 6, 2012, 09:55 AM
I was thinking about the clunkiness of the phrase and I'm pretty sure "Where great ideas go on to do great things" would have been phrased better as:
"Where great ideas become great things."

MarcosSilva
Jun 6, 2012, 09:56 AM
Note that there is a icon "CNN" and on left side, other icon like a localization of Maps. We will have some great stuff at WWDC! Will be a notice about iTV or new Maps?
thanks,
Marcos

AppleBoyFreak
Jun 6, 2012, 09:57 AM
Steve Jobs died over 7 months ago so I think we should stop saying, "Steve Jobs wouldn't approve." Apple is changing and whether it be for the better or worse, we as fanboys should be there to support Apple no matter what. *Goes back to drinking the Apple juice*:apple::apple:

charlituna
Jun 6, 2012, 10:38 AM

You forgot the teleporters and the matter replicators. How could you forget those. They are Tim Cook's first magical product idea.

----------

Steve Jobs died over 7 months ago so I think we should stop saying, "Steve Jobs wouldn't approve." Apple is changing and whether it be for the better or worse, we as fanboys should be there to support Apple no matter what. *Goes back to drinking the Apple juice*:apple::apple:

That started when Steve went on medical leave and it was old then.

but more to the point it isn't really that Steve died over any months ago its that he died less than any months ago. Tech doesn't create overnight. We'll be looking at stuff that Steve was a part of for a good 3-5 years more, maybe longer. So yeah he did approve and he did do it in many cases.

But the rest of your point stands. Steve allegedly told Tim and Co not to try to be him. Not to try to answer the questions the way he would but to trust their guts because he did. And he should given that he trained them for years for this. In some cases they will come up with the same answers because they agree that it is the right way. Other times they won't. But no matter what, Steve approves. He wanted them to run Apple their way.

charlituna
Jun 6, 2012, 10:51 AM
I don't think any of you understand this..."Where great ideas go on to do great things." They're obviously talking about new software/ a new product that we have little or no knowledge about.

I have to disagree. WWDC is all about the developers, it's about helping them take their ideas and make something awesome out of them. It's a giant week long training to that end. And that's what the quote is all about. If anything is is a giant reminder from Apple about why they set up the conference and the focus they are returning to.

yes there might be some new software or rather version of some existing software and yes they might intro it next week, but it is not OBVIOUS that that it does exist or will be introduced. Or that it isn't just new APIs etc.

QuiteSure
Jun 6, 2012, 10:54 AM
Hehe. Sadly with the rate it's selling out these days, not even all developers get tickets! (I'm not bitter that this year my boss gets to go and I don't, oh no!)

It is a great atmosphere though. The best things about the conference are the discussions in the hallways and the labs, not the sessions themselves.

Next year you'll be the boss and you'll get to go!:D

asterizk
Jun 6, 2012, 10:54 AM
I can see the Facebook-symbol on the banner. Hint at a deeper integration?

Ha, I was just going to post a comment in the opposite direction: anyone think that Facebook app icon looks a little small?

charlituna
Jun 6, 2012, 11:00 AM
No chance hoping iOS6 will still work with the 3GS huh? Still, I have been pretty happy with my 3GS. I'll probably not upgrade to the iPhone 5 unless both iOS6 and the iP5 have some pretty astonishing features that would prove immensely useful for me in college.

Likely not. 3 versions of the software is on par with Apple's style thus far and they would want folks to get off old hardware. They will likely be dropping the 3gs and shifting the 4 into the 'free' slot. If it does work it will likely be with certain features lacking due to a slower processor etc.

As for the college thing you might be thinking a bit small. if you want something iOS based an iPad might be more useful than a phone. Or skip that game altogether and use your money for a new notebook

JayJayAbels
Jun 6, 2012, 11:16 AM
I just want to mention... the slogan.

"Where great ideas go on to do great things."

^ After reflecting a bit on this... I've come to realize... it's absolutely a nod to the late, great Steve Jobs and continuing his vision for the future of tech.

Which, imo, gives us some real insight into the possibilities of WWDC.

Apple TV my friends.

Does that make sense to any of you?

charlituna
Jun 6, 2012, 11:21 AM
uhh... I don't really see how maps could be an iCloud feature.

Agreed but there could be some iCloud syncing involved in Maps. Like syncing pins and bookmarks across devices. If there's a feature like favorite routes that could be included. Or even just settings like 'avoid highways' or 'route around high traffic zones'.

I WAS the one
Jun 6, 2012, 11:28 AM
is time that Apple explore their power for their power tools. If they open more the iOS and Let us do MUCH more with it I'm sure we aren't going to care if the products of tomorrow will look the same in the outside.

Just imagine the possibilities of an iOS with a Settings Feature with an ON and OFF switch that reads: "Pro iOS"

Simple iOS and Pro iOS

let the user choose.

tdmac
Jun 6, 2012, 11:33 AM
I just want to mention... the slogan.

"Where great ideas go on to do great things."

^ After reflecting a bit on this... I've come to realize... it's absolutely a nod to the late, great Steve Jobs and continuing his vision for the future of tech.

Which, imo, gives us some real insight into the possibilities of WWDC.

Apple TV my friends.

Does that make sense to any of you?

While you could go down that path I'd say its more a nod to the developers attending the conference.

charlituna
Jun 6, 2012, 11:34 AM

The point still stands. If you want to have enough time for everyone to be able to get to food, eat it and get to the next event you can't do that with this size crowd in an hour, two hours is still pushing it. And then there's the issue of the paid staff and various legal violations Apple needs to avoid. Randomly going over the scheduled time brings all that into play and as Apple's former logistics guy, Tim would know all this kind of stuff. If there was any chance this would be a two hour keynote they would schedule it for two hours and adjust the rest accordingly BEFORE releasing the schedule.

It's scheduled for 90 minutes because that is the intended time frame. 11.30 to 12 might be in there as a cushion for unforeseen issues like the wifi going out and stalling the presentation but that's it. if they don't need it, great, everyone gets an extra 30 minutes of down time.

npggirl
Jun 6, 2012, 11:49 AM
Agreed

No widgets

Why would you want two apps running at once?
I am seriously just curious.

Dissonance
Jun 6, 2012, 11:54 AM
With that wording, I predict a new educational focus.

cgk.emu
Jun 6, 2012, 12:02 PM
Mr. Jobs also said that people don't read anymore and that no one wants to watch video on an iPod. ;)

Apple is not a software company, nor a hardware company. But WWDC is not about Apple as a company, it's about Apple's leverage of the developer community to build added value for their ecosystem to sell their systems. Hence, they will concentrate on showing off software.

I can agree with this more than my own comment for the most part...but Apple is both, really. They do produce software, and they do produce hardware. I think Jobs' comment was that their focus is on software, but to make really great software you have to do your own hardware as well. That's up for debate, but I've found it mostly true.

drewisanapple
Jun 6, 2012, 12:42 PM
If there was any chance this would be a two hour keynote they would schedule it for two hours and adjust the rest accordingly BEFORE releasing the schedule.

It's scheduled for 90 minutes because that is the intended time frame. 11.30 to 12 might be in there as a cushion for unforeseen issues like the wifi going out and stalling the presentation but that's it. if they don't need it, great, everyone gets an extra 30 minutes of down time.

Not entirely. You set a time frame based on what you originally believe, issues aren't what makes keynotes go over that much. Apple has 2 Seperate WiFi's for them and everyone else. But the time is irrelevant, once Tim hits that stage, no one will pay attention(or few) what event is coming up, they'll, like me, be overwhelmed and tuned in.

Radio
Jun 6, 2012, 01:20 PM

No labels - no groups - etc

That's key in sorting through gmail

----------

Why would you want two apps running at once?
I am seriously just curious.

Say we want to use timer + and a recipe app at the same time or what if I want a browser and app open say while I'm playing scrabble

SD449
Jun 6, 2012, 01:38 PM
Is it me or are all the Apps shown been recently updated with Retina graphics for the "New iPad"

Could point at new Retina Display Macs

KnightWRX
Jun 6, 2012, 01:44 PM
I can agree with this more than my own comment for the most part...but Apple is both, really. They do produce software, and they do produce hardware.

They produce hardware and produce the software the same way GM produces engines and center consoles. However, GM doesn't sell center consoles or engines*, they sell you a car. Apple makes both software and hardware, but what they make money on is iPads and iPhones and Macs, which are... systems. Apple is a systems vendor/maker.

*(yes, I know about small block crate engines from GM performance... it's an example)

Rogifan
Jun 6, 2012, 02:05 PM
In Walter Isaacson's book Steve said Apple was a product company. That to me is the best description. It's not hardware or software but the whole widget. And Apple's mission is to make the best products they possibly can.

jakebrosy
Jun 6, 2012, 02:10 PM
2012 marks my 9th WWDC. I guess I'm lucky I got a ticket. Oddly, I realized today that this will be the first WWDC after Steve's death.

I guess I'm surprised no one has talked about that yet. I look forward to hearing Tim Cook deliver the keynote.

jsnprstn
Jun 6, 2012, 02:45 PM

The icons shown seem to fall into 3 categories. Games, Social Networking, Media. All what you might want to do in the living room (as opposed to taking notes, or using a calculator). AppleTV might be the great idea, that is about to do more great things. And it makes sense, because I could toss the Roku if that happens.

npggirl
Jun 6, 2012, 03:25 PM
No labels - no groups - etc

That's key in sorting through gmail

----------

Say we want to use timer + and a recipe app at the same time or what if I want a browser and app open say while I'm playing scrabble

Hmmm, well...I can see that. I do, at times, have the need to search the web while playing a game. So, I get your point on that.

quigleybc
Jun 6, 2012, 04:21 PM
i predict two things:

1 - people will be disappointed

2 - the iOS update will cause my iPad and iPhone 4 to slow way down and make me want to buy the new iPhone and iPad...

JayJayAbels
Jun 6, 2012, 05:17 PM
While you could go down that path I'd say its more a nod to the developers attending the conference.

Extremely solid point. Maybe I read into it a bit too much.
Thanx!

bushido
Jun 6, 2012, 05:57 PM
i just hope that devs finally get access to the notification center to add their own widgets. the notification center on the ipad looks just SAD

also "go on to do" sounds like something i would say considering english isnt my first language :D they could have done a better job with that tag line

cgk.emu
Jun 6, 2012, 08:35 PM
They produce hardware and produce the software the same way GM produces engines and center consoles. However, GM doesn't sell center consoles or engines*, they sell you a car. Apple makes both software and hardware, but what they make money on is iPads and iPhones and Macs, which are... systems. Apple is a systems vendor/maker.

*(yes, I know about small block crate engines from GM performance... it's an example)

That makes sense, actually :)

twoodcc
Jun 6, 2012, 09:21 PM
can't wait til Monday!

the8thark
Jun 7, 2012, 12:11 AM
Huh? The slogan talks about doing 'great things'. An action or outcome is implied, not an object you can hold.

I'd love to see amazing new hardware announced, and there may be… but personally, I don't get that feeling from the banner. People seem to want to find hidden codes in it, but at face value the words refer to nothing more than the process by which a developer's idea becomes a working app, capable of doing 'great things'. The image reflects this too, with apps seemingly coming out of thin air on the left, and getting bigger to the right. At the end of the day, that's the process of app development, and that's what a developers conference is all about. So I don't see anything unexpected or particularly remarkable about the banner.

I said that was one possible option. I did list other options. In my post. Which you did not quote. I never said they were 100% what APple meant by the slogan. Just plausible options.

Also designing things is doing things also. Cause designing is something you can do. Less plausable cause it's a WWDevelopersC not a WWindustrialdesignersC. But anything is possible.

Your possible about ideas turning into bigger and better developed Apps (based on the banner image) is very plausible too.

tgc
Jun 7, 2012, 02:19 AM
Hopefully they've spent some r&d money and ported the calculator and clock app from the iPhone to the iPad... I really don't get Apple's thinking sometimes. :D

Amarth
Jun 7, 2012, 02:25 AM
The Banner looks a lot like the Adobe Cloud ad's: Lots of exploding color constructs with icons. It seems that someone got "inspired" a little bit too much here lol. I wonder if they use the same ad/graphic design agency...

MacDav
Jun 7, 2012, 04:27 PM
The tag line is iambic pentameter, which explains the wording; you have to make up 10 beats in the line.

Yes, you are correct it is iambic pentameter. Anyone can write in iambic pentameter, that doesn't mean you get Shakespearian quality.With this slogan you get Steve Balmer quality. Where is Shakespeare when you need him.

28monkeys
Jun 7, 2012, 06:20 PM
and don't forget you need the right groups of people!

OH,wait. Apple has them!

macbookflasher
Jun 8, 2012, 02:09 AM
i am curious .i can not wait till Monday .ooo Jesus please bring the Monday soon .i have to sight ISO and something more special .

comatory
Jun 8, 2012, 03:07 AM
I might agree if not for the leaked specs of the MBP 13". Last time we got such a leak, all the rumored "changes" didn't materialize (remember the 2011 refresh and the early box pictures. We had had tons of rumors of the same kind, HiDPI, new casings, slimmer form factors). I'm thinking the Macs are only getting Ivy Bridge and USB 3.0 this round, no form factor changes, no big sweeping "No Ethernet/ODD in Pros", no HiDPI displays :

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/68_4649469_6191093e652e866.jpg

Yep, lot of people are will be disappointed. I think the major redesign will have its own event in the future.
I vote for silent spec bumps happening at most.

\-V-/
Jun 8, 2012, 03:27 AM
Yep, lot of people are will be disappointed. I think the major redesign will have its own event in the future.
I vote for silent spec bumps happening at most.

I think we have no idea what people will or will not be. :]

Silent spec bumps "at most" seems wildly unlikely... seriously...

Monday can't get here soon enough.

comatory
Jun 8, 2012, 04:22 AM
I think we have no idea what people will or will not be. :]

True, true - I'd love to be mistaken :)

stockscalper
Jun 8, 2012, 09:50 AM
You're a joke. Apple reinvented the Smartphone. They made possible all this software on phones truly a thing of prevelance. So for you to trash the fact they started and continue to grow on their original platform, you have no business to be here.

The Windows Phones and Android Phones have different things in them, so what.

And you are an idiot fanboy. I owned the original iPhone and you couldn't even put real apps on it. You had little icons that were portals to websites that you had to access over slow Edge. The Palm platform that I came from was so far ahead of Apple in every department it wasn't even funny. And despite all the copying Apple has done, they're still far behind Android, Windows Mobile and WebOS. Their notifications system is pathetic.

drewisanapple
Jun 8, 2012, 01:50 PM
And you are an idiot fanboy. I owned the original iPhone and you couldn't even put real apps on it. You had little icons that were portals to websites that you had to access over slow Edge. The Palm platform that I came from was so far ahead of Apple in every department it wasn't even funny. And despite all the copying Apple has done, they're still far behind Android, Windows Mobile and WebOS. Their notifications system is pathetic.

If you feel that way, get out of here?
This is an APPLE rumors site. Expect Fanboys. But also expect logic.