PDA

View Full Version : NetBoot serve OS 9.2.2 image from Lion Server?

Anonymous Freak
Jun 5, 2012, 11:19 PM
Alright, I have a couple older Macs that I would like to have use NetBoot to boot in to Mac OS 9 (yes, they're capable of booting into Mac OS 9, and are capable of NetBoot.)

I have downloaded the NetBoot for Mac OS 9 package/image from Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1192

And I have NetBoot enabled on my Lion Server.

I have successfully booted an Intel Mac into a Snow Leopard image I have created, but I can't figure out how to make NetBoot serve up the OS 9 image properly. (And this is an image made specifically by Apple for NetBooting!)

Does anyone know how to get this up and running?

aarond12
Jun 6, 2012, 01:18 PM
What model of Mac are you trying to start with OS 9? Most modern Macs won't even run that old of an operating system. You'll be restricted to the oldest G4 systems or earlier only.

Anonymous Freak
Jun 6, 2012, 11:44 PM
What model of Mac are you trying to start with OS 9? Most modern Macs won't even run that old of an operating system. You'll be restricted to the oldest G4 systems or earlier only.

To re-quote myself...

...yes, they're capable of booting into Mac OS 9...

And "the oldest" G4 systems isn't the most accurate. It's all but the *NEWEST* Power Mac G4. In my case, it's an OS 9-bootable iMac, eMac, and Power Mac G4.

aarond12
Jun 7, 2012, 04:52 PM
Heh. That's what I get for speed-reading your post. Sorry. :p

Now the question is... WHY? :D Are you having difficulties finding hard drives for some of those older computers and you want to diskless netboot them? Are you going to use them for some other purpose? I mean, these computers are going to be pushing nearly a decade old...

Anonymous Freak
Jun 7, 2012, 06:06 PM
Heh. That's what I get for speed-reading your post. Sorry. :p

Now the question is... WHY? :D Are you having difficulties finding hard drives for some of those older computers and you want to diskless netboot them? Are you going to use them for some other purpose? I mean, these computers are going to be pushing nearly a decade old...

All of them are already over a decade old. :D About half "just because", and about half because I have their hard drive set up with a more modern/usable OS X, but would like to occasionally boot them into OS 9.