Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srowndedbyh2o

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Hawaii
I recently upgraded to Lion and then moved my MobileMe to iCloud. When I go into my iCloud settings on my iPhone it says that my total storage is 25.0GB and that there is 25.0GB of storage available. Why is none of my 25.0GB of storage being used? And if I can’t use the storage to store files (like iDisk), then what is that storage used for:confused:

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
The storage is for things like Mail, iOS iCloud device backup's, documents and data stored from apps (e.g. Pages, Keynote, etc).
As Apple have detailed iDisk isn't making the transition from MobileMe to iCloud so this data isn't being counted and anything you have stored on iDisk you need to download before 30th June when that service is shut down. Hopefully they will re-instate some sort of iDisk functionality in the future
Also note that because you have transitioned from MobileMe to iCloud Apple are giving you 25GB free until your next renewal where it will go down to 5GB unless you pay for one of the extra storage options.

srowndedbyh2o

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Hawaii
The storage is for things like Mail, iOS iCloud device backup's, documents and data stored from apps (e.g. Pages, Keynote, etc).
As Apple have detailed iDisk isn't making the transition from MobileMe to iCloud so this data isn't being counted and anything you have stored on iDisk you need to download before 30th June when that service is shut down. Hopefully they will re-instate some sort of iDisk functionality in the future
Also note that because you have transitioned from MobileMe to iCloud Apple are giving you 25GB free until your next renewal where it will go down to 5GB unless you pay for one of the extra storage options.
Thanks bucksaddle. I read over the info from Apple about making the move to iCloud and also am aware of why I have the temporary 25GB of storage. I just found it strange that even after I moved my mail, calendars, contacts, iTunes, iBooks etc over to iCloud, I haven’t used any of that 25GB.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
We (ex mobile me users) were given 25gb to bridge the gap as we can still use iDisk and the missing mobile me components despite moving over until the cut off date. At that point if you've not backed up the service will fully terminate and that data will be lost.

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
The storage space is also used for any songs that need to be uploaded if you are subscribed to iTunes Match.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
The storage space is also used for any songs that need to be uploaded if you are subscribed to iTunes Match.

No it's not. iTunes Match is separate from iCloud storage. I know it's not exceptionally clear on the website, but it was made clear at the announcement.

jW

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
No it's not. iTunes Match is separate from iCloud storage. I know it's not exceptionally clear on the website, but it was made clear at the announcement.

jW

Yea, after doing a little more research, it seems this is the case. I will agree that the website should be a little more clear that it would be separate storage, not the iCloud account storage though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.