PDA

View Full Version : Next-Generation iPhone Rumored to Adopt Thinner and Improved Front and Rear Cameras

MacRumors
Jun 6, 2012, 12:35 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/06/next-generation-iphone-rumored-to-adopt-thinner-and-improved-front-and-rear-cameras/)

In a new research note, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reports that Apple will be making significant improvements to both front and rear cameras on the next-generation iPhone, advances driven by a desire to decrease the thickness of the device and to improve compatibility with a new 16:9 display.

According to Kuo, the rear camera on the iPhone will remain at 8 megapixels, but the aperture will be increased from f/2.4 to f/2.2 in order to reduce camera module height by nearly 0.5 mm.[A] number of components have required a slim-down. The component that will undergo the most dramatic make-over is the rear camera. Our research shows that iPhone 5 will feature the first-ever slimmed rear camera of all iPhones, in an effort to deliver an ultra-slim iPhone 5.

Meanwhile, to enhance photography effects, iPhone 5's rear camera will feature a larger f/2.2 aperture than iPhone 4S's f/2.4. However, larger aperture means more noises. In addition, the reduced thickness means even greater challenges for lens design and assembly, as not only the lens, but also the voice coil motor (VCM) and CMOS image sensor (CIS) need to be slimmer. Finally, the compact camera module (CCM) suppler, responsible for the terminal assembly, will be confronted by assembly yield.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/iphone_rear_camera_specs.jpg

As for the front-facing camera, Kuo argues that Apple's move to a 16:9 display will drive a significant boost to HD quality for the front camera. HD offers the same 16:9 aspect ratio as the new display, as opposed to the 4:3 aspect ratio of the current VGA-quality FaceTime camera, and Apple will likely want to take full advantage of the device's new screen. In addition, moving the FaceTime camera to above the earpiece will allow for more centered images, improving the user experience.

The report also indicates that Apple is adopting flip-chip packing for the new front-facing camera, a process that will result in a thinner assembly and simplify lens production by moving the blue glass filter to the camera module itself.

Kuo has offered accurate information on a number of occasions in the past, relying on sources within Apple's supply chain to piece together Apple's product plans.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone Rumored to Adopt Thinner and Improved Front and Rear Cameras (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/06/next-generation-iphone-rumored-to-adopt-thinner-and-improved-front-and-rear-cameras/)

jazzguitar
Jun 6, 2012, 12:38 PM
CRIPES! The iPhone 4S is the iPhone 5! How freakin' stupid are some people?!

Dr McKay
Jun 6, 2012, 12:40 PM
advances driven by a desire to decrease the thickness of the device

Please no, the iPhone 4S is the right thickness to feel comfortable. Any thinner and it'll just be uncomfortable like the iPod Touch....

rafaltrus
Jun 6, 2012, 12:40 PM
I have a pretty good feeling the very next iPhone will be called just iPhone, just like Apple did with the iPad.
I always found these numbers to be unnecessary...

thinner(although not necessary) + wider + taller (latter two NOT exclusive) and I will but my first iPhone ;)

iapplelove
Jun 6, 2012, 12:41 PM
A thinner phone would be nice too

likemyorbs
The next iPhone will be known as the iPhone 5, regardless of what apple chooses to call it. Just like everyone calls the new iPad "iPad 3"

bobbytallant
I have a pretty good feeling the very next iPhone will be called just iPhone, just like Apple did with the iPad.
I always found these numbers to be unnecessary...

This just in..

MacReloaded
Jun 6, 2012, 12:42 PM
Please no, the iPhone 4S is the right thickness to feel comfortable. Any thinner and it'll just be uncomfortable like the iPod Touch....

Keep the current thickness and use the extra room for a bigger battery.

Prosammer
Jun 6, 2012, 12:42 PM
felling trees with my iphone :lol:

olowott
Jun 6, 2012, 12:43 PM
This has been a very "double down" week

awesome rumoured specs for the new iPhone

jephrey
Jun 6, 2012, 12:44 PM

With this logic, the iPhone 3GS is the iPhone4 and the iPhone4 is the iPhone5 making the iPhone4S the iPhone6. Everyone get ready for the iPhone7!!!

haha!

jclardy
Jun 6, 2012, 12:45 PM
Having a larger aperture means it lets in more light...which should mean less noise...

reden
Next Generation iPhone to be better than iPhone 4s.

Dr McKay
With this logic, the iPhone 3GS is the iPhone4 and the iPhone4 is the iPhone5 making the iPhone4S the iPhone6. Everyone get ready for the iPhone7!!!

haha!

How? The 3GS was the 3rd iPhone, the iPhone 4 was the 4th iPhone.

lukefinch
Jun 6, 2012, 12:46 PM
The next iPhone will be known as the iPhone 5, regardless of what apple chooses to call it. Just like everyone calls the new iPad "iPad 3"

That's because the new iPad is the third to be released. The next iPhone will be the sixth.

srxtr
Jun 6, 2012, 12:46 PM

Who cares, don't take it too personally

\-V-/
Jun 6, 2012, 12:47 PM

And how stupid will you feel if they end up calling it the iPhone 5?

jazzguitar

haha!

How do you figure?

1 - iPhone in 2007
2 - 3g in 2008
3 - 3GS in 2009
4 - 4 in 2010
5 - 4S in 2011

Are there other iPhones that I don't know about? Using your naming system the iPhone 4 would actually be the iPhone 3. It's simple math people...

lellis2k

haha!

Not really
1. iphone
2. iphone 3g
3. iphone 3gs
4. iphone 4
5. iphone 4s
6. iphone ?

jephrey
Jun 6, 2012, 12:48 PM

oops. true.
I just didn't like the "How stupid are some people?" comment. I guess pretty stupid

hah!

EDIT: not trying to argue, I think the naming is a moot point - didn't think it was necessary to bring up and call people dumb about.

Intarweb
Jun 6, 2012, 12:50 PM
Please squeeze in 60fps for the rear.

MacReloaded
Really? We're arguing over the name again in a thread about the camera?

burnside
Having a larger aperture means it lets in more light...which should mean less noise...

No kidding, I read 2.2 and thought awesome! Larger opening, more light, less noise.

stuffradio
Jun 6, 2012, 12:53 PM
I love how mad people get when they call the next iPhone the iPhone 5. Whether Apple calls it that or not, people will call it that because of the natural progression Apple has set.

Apple iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, etc.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 6, 2012, 12:55 PM
As for the front-facing camera, Kuo argues that Apple's move to a 16:9 display will drive a significant boost to HD quality for the front camera. HD offers the same 16:9 aspect ratio as the new display, as opposed to the 4:3 aspect ratio of the current VGA-quality FaceTime camera, and Apple will likely want to take full advantage of the device's new screen.

How does this make sense?

First, who takes video with the front facing camera?

Secondly, if you do take video, I would think most people do so in portrait mode...

Well I guess if you wanted to make a good video you could hold it in landscape, but then you'd have to compensate for the off center.

At any rate, I'm in favor of the HD front facing camera.

I'm also excited for the phone to be ~8mm. I honestly think that is the perfect thickness.

IJ Reilly
Jun 6, 2012, 12:56 PM

You would think, but the article says "more noises," so maybe it will growl or squeak or something.

eyebex
Jun 6, 2012, 12:57 PM
However, larger aperture means more noises.

The statement is incorrect.

Larger aperture (2.2 represents larger aperture than 2.4) means more light will be able to reach the photosensor which means that lower ISO will be needed in any given light situation which in turn means reduction in noise.

Also, did they hire GWBush to write this? Will the new iphone have more internets, too.

surma884
Jun 6, 2012, 12:57 PM

If you add a case it makes it thicker. I like the iPhone 4S naked thickness, but when you add a case it makes it THICK. So if the next iPhone is slimmer and you add a case it will should feel like a naked 4S. I hope they didn't sacrifice the battery life to make it thinner.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 6, 2012, 01:00 PM
I suppose it's technically thinner, but 1.4mm is hardly discernable. The other key spec that is missing is weight.

AppleMactablet
Jun 6, 2012, 01:00 PM

As I work in a popular US retail store selling the iPad 2 and the new iPad-the first month many asked for the iPad 3, after that peroid of time 9 of 10 customers (because of advertisement,media etc...) they now pacifically ask for the new iPad. This will most likely be the same when the new iphone comes out

b166er
Jun 6, 2012, 01:04 PM
As I work in a popular US retail store selling the iPad 2 and the new iPad-the first month many asked for the iPad 3, after that peroid of time 9 of 10 customers (because of advertisement,media etc...) they now pacifically ask for the new iPad. This will most likely be the same when the new iphone comes out

Well I atlanticly hope the newest iPhone is not too much thinner. I'd rather keep it the same thickness but add battery or other stuff.

ThunderSkunk
I'll be excited when they include stereo cameras, or better yet cameras w/ stereo lasers for 3d mapping scan data to crowd source their maps database & open it up with an API for revolutionary improvements in remote project collaboration.

Do something awesome again, apple.

foodog
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/06/next-generation-iphone-rumored-to-adopt-thinner-and-improved-front-and-rear-cameras/)

Good to see Apple has really cranked up the security to stop these leaks :p

nikhsub1
In other rumor news, the sun is supposed to rise again tomorrow.

Menel
I'll take an extra 1.4mm of battery capacity please kthx!

manu chao
Jun 6, 2012, 01:06 PM
Not really
1. iphone
2. iphone 3g
3. iphone 3gs
4. iphone 4
5. iphone 4s
6. iphone ?
The Verizon iPhone was noticeably different inside. Not only have a different radio but also a different vibration actuator and few other minor differences. Thus, one could argue for the sake of arguing that:
1. iPhone
2. iPhone 3g
3. iPhone 3gs
4. iPhone 4
5. iPhone 4 Verizon
6. iPhone 4s
7. iPhone ?

Sackvillenb
Jun 6, 2012, 01:07 PM
Thinner, meh, doesn't really matter to me either way (although I don't mind thinner if it doesn't sacrifice anything important), but I'm 100% down with a better camera. Not that the 4s camera is bad, but having a better camera on a portable device like that is only a win.

h1r0ll3r
Jun 6, 2012, 01:09 PM
Don't care what it's called or will be called. I just want a new iPhone now as I've grown bored with my iPhone 4 now. Hurry up Apple!

melgross
Jun 6, 2012, 01:09 PM

Yeah. I was going to post on that too. Considering that the words used were "makes more noises", I wonder if it was simply a mistranslation.

bboucher790
Jun 6, 2012, 01:12 PM
Apple is like a supermodel: No matter how thin they are, they always think they're too fat.

Radio
Jun 6, 2012, 01:13 PM

Nobody calls it the iPad 3

Correct them nex time

It's called the iPad 3rd gen

Hope that helps!

charlituna
Jun 6, 2012, 01:15 PM
I

...what's an "ass battery", or don't I want to know?

you can power it from your ass of course. the real question is if it is inductive or not. Cause that wire might sting a bit

absynth
Jun 6, 2012, 01:16 PM
No kidding, I read 2.2 and thought awesome! Larger opening, more light, less noise.

No the opening stays the same, but the focal length decreases from 6 mm to 5.5mm

aperture ratio of (1/2.2)/(1/2.4) = focal length ratio of 6/5.5

840quadra
Jun 6, 2012, 01:19 PM
I hope thin doesn't mean the phone will become more flexible. One nice thing about the size and materials used in the iPhone is the overall rigidity of the device. Having a phone screen crack simply because the case flexes in a pocket during a normal work day is never a fun thing.

I know the iPhone is fragile in other ways, but it doesn't twist or creak as much as some other smart phones on the market.

salmoally
Jun 6, 2012, 01:19 PM
Back to the boring rumors about the itoys. I got an iPhone 4S and an iPad3 but I just get bored buy iOS news.

Was a fun run for some real mac news for a change.

AustinIllini
Jun 6, 2012, 01:22 PM
Can you imagine what would happen if the next iPhone didn't have LTE?

Radio
Jun 6, 2012, 01:23 PM
Anyone want to admit that FaceTime is overrated ?

What happened to making it open like Steve jobs promised during his keynote?

That was his dying wish I believe

Honestly FaceTime makes us all look fat.

I'm not fat for the record

AustinIllini
Jun 6, 2012, 01:24 PM

I would argue a lot of people call it the iPad 3, more will when the next iPad comes out.

Radio
Jun 6, 2012, 01:25 PM
Can you imagine what would happen if the next iPhone didn't have LTE?

Chaos. It will have LTE though. It's soooo fast!

My moms Verizon iPad (3rd gen) loads pages faster than mine (3rd gen) on my wifi!

So Random
Jun 6, 2012, 01:27 PM
The Verizon iPhone was noticeably different inside. Not only have a different radio but also a different vibration actuator and few other minor differences. Thus, one could argue for the sake of arguing that:
1. iPhone
2. iPhone 3g
3. iPhone 3gs
4. iPhone 4
5. iPhone 4 Verizon
6. iPhone 4s
7. iPhone ?

None of this actually matters. The numbering scheme has no effect on the quality of the device. They'll call it whatever they'll call it. Point is, it's a new iPhone.

AustinIllini
Jun 6, 2012, 01:29 PM
Chaos. It will have LTE though. It's soooo fast!

My moms Verizon iPad (3rd gen) loads pages faster than mine (3rd gen) on my wifi!

This has been discussed a lot, but I wonder truly how fast. Could the iPhone slow down the LTE networks simply due to the vast increase in users?

Rogifan
Jun 6, 2012, 01:30 PM
So this is just speculation from some wall street analyst who claims to have inside knowledge within Apple's supply chain?

ixodes
Jun 6, 2012, 01:30 PM
Keep the current thickness and use the extra room for a bigger battery.
The problem with this idea, is there is _no_ problem.

If they kept it the same thickness and added more battery capacity that would be a flawed idea, since it employs common sense.

Another reason this is a very bad decision is that many of us would enjoy the phone even more.

Then there's the dreadful aspect of a heavier battery. Chances are it'd weigh at least 1 oz. more, who could possible hold up that much weight? :eek:

bdkennedy1
Jun 6, 2012, 01:32 PM
Ok, Mr. Ive, how much thinner do we really need these phones to be? Keep the thickness and give me a 20 hour battery.

Time Less
Jun 6, 2012, 01:33 PM

there's a joke in there some where.

SeattleMoose
Jun 6, 2012, 01:38 PM
Apple's obsession with "thinner" will allow me to shave with my iDevices. ;)

The "iRazor"???

goinskiing
Jun 6, 2012, 01:38 PM

My thoughts exactly, the F2.2 will be awesome and definitely decrease noise because more available light. Another factor is the pixel pitch which is determined by sensor size and the amount of pixels.

theMage
Jun 6, 2012, 01:40 PM
Anytime the article names "unamed sources", call B.S. Why would they change the form factor? If they did, wouldn't you be seeing lots of photos from case manufacturers? My guess is the smaller internal parts are required because a 4G chipset is a powerhog and will require a larger battery. I'll bet $10 this guy is wrong and I'm right, any takers?

TsunamiTheClown
Jun 6, 2012, 01:41 PM
Anyone want to admit that FaceTime is overrated ?

What happened to making it open like Steve jobs promised during his keynote?

That was his dying wish I believe

Honestly FaceTime makes us all look fat.

I'm not fat for the record

^ yeah plus the weird thingy where if you want to look at the image of the person that your talking to, you will in fact appear to them to be looking at their chin. You know the whole eye contact vs looking at the camera paradox. i don't think that it is quite intuitive enough now, with out the camera being inside the display. *hint hint apple* ;)

lilo777
Jun 6, 2012, 01:43 PM
So, it appears that iPhone 5 will use the same Sony sensor as Samsung Galaxy SIII. Marginal changes in aperture, lens design etc. will do very little to improve the quality of the camera. In the end, the major problems with phone cameras - tiny sensors and no optical zoom are here to stay. Anybody who wants a really better camera should look at P&S cameras, mirrorless cameras and DSLRs.

d4rkc4sm
Jun 6, 2012, 01:45 PM

i do that nearer climax

Thunderhawks
Jun 6, 2012, 01:47 PM
And how stupid will you feel if they end up calling it the iPhone 5?

Wouldn't they call it iphone 0.5, because it's a 0.5 mm slimmer camera?

animefx
Jun 6, 2012, 01:51 PM

You are both wrong. And using that logic the iPhone 3G should have been called the iPhone 2 because it was the 2nd iPhone.

Look, the new iPhone is whatever Apple chooses to call it. You can use logic saying "the iPhone 3GS was the 3rd iPhone", well the iPhone 3G was the 2nd iPhone and the iPhone 4S is the 5th iPhone... so what?

Apple could call it iPhone 5 and that's what it would be called. It doesn't matter if it is not actually 5th iPhone because their numbering system in the past hasn't always corosponded to anyting at all, and quite frankly doesn't have to.

Some have suggested the iPhone be called iPhone 2012 or iPhone 2013, etc.. The problem with this is that some carriers don't get the updated phones until the following year, and this would lead to further confusion.

saintforlife
Jun 6, 2012, 01:53 PM
Is there any doubt that the iPhone 5 will have the best smart phone camera when it comes out? I don't even have to see the phone first to know this. Apple absolutely owns all other smart phones when it comes to camera quality.

CausticPuppy
Jun 6, 2012, 01:53 PM
Awesome, now when people record their videos in portrait mode, the youtube videos will be even skinnier than before.

Tinmania
Jun 6, 2012, 01:55 PM
Wrong. I call it the iPad 3 as it seems silly to call it "the new iPad" as time wears on. What I can assert, is that "nobody" misinterprets me when I write iPad 3: not now and not a year from now if someone stumbles upon an old thread.

Michael

Illusion986
Jun 6, 2012, 02:00 PM

Thats a lot of negative vote downs for the comment. I wonder is it because people don't know how to count or don't like to be called stupid when they are called out on it. Given that most people know significantly more that any average apple consumer on this forum should know better than to keep calling upcoming iPhone "iPhone 5" :eek:

animefx
Jun 6, 2012, 02:03 PM

So that means the iPhone 3G is the iPhone 2 and the iPhone 3GS is the iPhone 3... gotcha ::sarcasm::

:)

flashflooder
Jun 6, 2012, 02:04 PM
They really need to increase battery capacity. The 4S was a step backwards in that department, IMO.

Illusion986
Jun 6, 2012, 02:05 PM
You are both wrong. And using that logic the iPhone 3G should have been called the iPhone 2 because it was the 2nd iPhone.

Look, the new iPhone is whatever Apple chooses to call it. You can use logic saying "the iPhone 3GS was the 3rd iPhone", well the iPhone 3G was the 2nd iPhone and the iPhone 4S is the 5th iPhone... so what?

Apple could call it iPhone 5 and that's what it would be called. It doesn't matter if it is not actually 5th iPhone because their numbering system in the past hasn't always corosponded to anyting at all, and quite frankly doesn't have to.

Some have suggested the iPhone be called iPhone 2012 or iPhone 2013, etc.. The problem with this is that some carriers don't get the updated phones until the following year, and this would lead to further confusion.

But yet the 4th iPhone made ended up being called iPhone 4...Sure they don't have to call the next one iPhone 6 and they probably will not based on New iPad but I'm quire sure they will not call it iPhone 5

Brian Buttplug
Jun 6, 2012, 02:07 PM
"However, larger aperture means more noises"

Ehh .. I wonder what he has been smoking?

Cheers,

Brian

Marcus-k
Jun 6, 2012, 02:08 PM
Is there any doubt that the iPhone 5 will have the best smart phone camera when it comes out? I don't even have to see the phone first to know this. Apple absolutely owns all other smart phones when it comes to camera quality.

Apples cameras are definitely not the best mobile camera, the best right now is to my knowledge the Nokia 808 PureView with it's 41MP camera.

mrsir2009
Jun 6, 2012, 02:11 PM
Thinner would be uncomfortable, just like the iPod Touch.

needfx
Jun 6, 2012, 02:12 PM
just make it cool and available

saintforlife
Jun 6, 2012, 02:13 PM
Apples cameras are definitely not the best mobile camera, the best right now is to my knowledge the Nokia 808 PureView with it's 41MP camera.

Let's just say Apple makes the best mainstream smartphone camera. The truth is that the Nokia 808 PureView is just a gimmick.

kemo
Jun 6, 2012, 02:14 PM
Just dont make it thinner - what is it for? Isnt the current generation thin enough? Just make components thinner but use the space for larger battery to improve battery life.:rolleyes:

Dr McKay
Jun 6, 2012, 02:16 PM

But still, how are you disputing that the 3GS wasn't the 3rd iPhone, and the iPhone 4 wasn't the 4th iPhone?

I never said what they'll call the next iPhone, I just pointed out that he had the iPhone ordering wrong.

Tailpike1153
Jun 6, 2012, 02:16 PM

We have our finest people putting Scotch tape over the mouths of engineers to keep them from spilling the beans. Duct tape was considered too secure.

Drunken Master
Jun 6, 2012, 02:17 PM

If it was the iPhone 5...it would be called the iPhone 5.

Was the 3GS actually the 4 in disguise?

I never want to see this point discussed again, it's like a dead horse beating another dead horse with a tiny dead pony.

Les Kern
Jun 6, 2012, 02:22 PM
12 days 8 hours 13.5 minutes till I can eat solid foods. You know, since we're doing countdowns.

kimvette
Jun 6, 2012, 02:23 PM
Meanwhile, to enhance photography effects, iPhone 5's rear camera will feature a larger f/2.2 aperture than iPhone 4S's f/2.4. However, larger aperture means more noises.

WrongWrongWrong. It is actually the opposite.

Opening up the aperture on a camera will result in LESS noise as there is less amplification required to expose the image properly. What IS increased is "bokeh," or background blurring, due to the thinner depth of field. Also, you will be able to take slightly better-exposed photos, with lower noise of course, in dim light.

sulpfiction
Jun 6, 2012, 02:27 PM

Just for the record, MP's have ZERO to do with image quality. 41 MP's is useless unless you were printing an image the size of a building. the 8MP camera on the iPhone is more then enough mega pixels. It's the optical sensors, lens quality, and the light gathering capability that make a good camera. MP's are the biggest scam going. And while the Nokia camera is nice (from what I hear), the 41MP moniker kinda ruins it.

coldmack
Jun 6, 2012, 02:29 PM
Last I checked f2.2 isn't that much of a difference vs f 2.4. Then again that was on an APS-C camera so it could be a bit different there.

Stewie86
Jun 6, 2012, 02:30 PM

So was the iPhone 3G (the second iPhone) called the iPhone 2? No.

And if your analysis is that that it's the 5th design, then why wasn't the 4 called iPhone 3 if it was the 3rd design? The 3Gs wasn't that much different than the 3G and Apple still called the next one iPhone 4. The 4S isn't that much different than the 4 so I'm not sure why it would be called the 5 if the 4S is indeed the 5th to have come out.

My bet is that it will be iPhone 6 or something else.

enfanteribl
Jun 6, 2012, 02:31 PM
With so many new specs leaking, could a June launch be in the offing? If these are legit, they are appearing a long way before an Autumn launch.

Thunderhawks
Jun 6, 2012, 02:35 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by Intarweb

there's a joke in there some where.there's a joke in there some where.

Yes, for the Fart Apps. 60 farts per second

TallManNY
Jun 6, 2012, 02:36 PM
If they make it so the average person doesn't feel the need to keep it in a case, then in practice it will be much thinner. I used to use a fairly bulky but protective case and I see those around a lot. Now I'm using the slim and exellent Elago case. But that case still adds thickness.

skellener
Jun 6, 2012, 02:41 PM
I don't care what the next iPhone looks like, how thin it is, how many pixels the screen is. I still have a 3GS and it's all still great.

The only thing that matters to me at this point is getting off AT&T and 3G. Everything about the network has been crappy since I got it three years ago.

Looking forward to jumping ship to Sprint LTE, Verizon LTE or T-Mobile LTE if it ever gets off the ground.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 6, 2012, 02:46 PM
Just dont make it thinner - what is it for? Isnt the current generation thin enough? Just make components thinner but use the space for larger battery to improve battery life.:rolleyes:

We are talking about 1.4mm difference. That's .05 inches. Not .5 inches, .05. It's really not anything to get excited about either way.

phototravel
Jun 6, 2012, 02:47 PM

Exactly! Larger aperture = more light on the sensor = less noise (only slightly less when comparing f/2.2 to f/2.4, but certainly not MORE noise)

SeaFox
Jun 6, 2012, 02:56 PM
HD offers the same 16:9 aspect ratio as the new display, as opposed to the 4:3 aspect ratio of the current VGA-quality FaceTime camera...

There's nothing about HD resolution video that says it has to be 16:9. The designation is only based on a vertical resolution of 720 progressive scanned lines or more.

apolloa
Jun 6, 2012, 03:02 PM
I just want to know who is making the next camera? Sony or the other supplier who made the camera unit for the iPhone 4?? I would prefer Sony due to it's Exmoor R tech.

Sensamic
Jun 6, 2012, 03:03 PM
So... according to rumors iPhone 5 will have:

- 8Mpx camera slightly better and HD FaceTime front camera
- 4 inch screen which will only be taller and not wider to allow just one more row of icons
- A5 chip better seen on the iPad 2 which allows better battery life plus a new better GPU
- 1GB RAM
- Thinner design
- Bluetooth 4.0 but not for transfers between phones

Is this enough for convincing me to upgrade my iPhone 4?

No.

Seems to me like an iPhone 4SS...

Anthony0224
Jun 6, 2012, 03:08 PM

- 4 inch screen which will only be taller and not wider to allow just one more row of icons
- A5 chip better seen on the iPad 2 which allows better battery life plus a new better GPU
- 1GB RAM
- Thinner design

No.

You're forgetting that it will include Siri 2.0.... i.e. a less retarded and more untuitive Siri. :rolleyes: Also... you can expect quite a few new software features that I'm sure they will limit to the iPhone 5 (or the new iPhone).

lilo777
Jun 6, 2012, 03:10 PM
You're forgetting that it will include Siri 2.0.... i.e. a less retarded and more untuitive Siri. :rolleyes: Also... you can expect quite a few new software features that I'm sure they will limit to the iPhone 5 (or the new iPhone).

Siri 2.0 Beta?

acslater017
Jun 6, 2012, 03:23 PM

I've been on MacRumors for 6 years, and I've never seen anyone get -50 before.

Mr. Gates
Jun 6, 2012, 03:23 PM
If it was the iPhone 5...it would be called the iPhone 5.

Was the 3GS actually the 4 in disguise?

I never want to see this point discussed again, it's like a dead horse beating another dead horse with a tiny dead pony.

iPhone
3G
3Gs

So No, the 3Gs was the 3rd iPhone

iPhone 4 was the 4th

:rolleyes:

now go sit in the corner

pubwvj
Jun 6, 2012, 03:28 PM
I don't want thinner. The problem with thinner is it means more fragile. Sure, that's great from the manufacturer's point of view because the phones break sooner so consumers have to buy new ones which makes more money for the stockholders and executives. However, that is environmentally unfriendly, producing more waste and consuming more resources.

I want more robust. After that more battery time. After that more memory. Thinner is not good.

twigman08
Jun 6, 2012, 03:29 PM
Just for the record, MP's have ZERO to do with image quality. 41 MP's is useless unless you were printing an image the size of a building. the 8MP camera on the iPhone is more then enough mega pixels. It's the optical sensors, lens quality, and the light gathering capability that make a good camera. MP's are the biggest scam going. And while the Nokia camera is nice (from what I hear), the 41MP moniker kinda ruins it.

I do get a little tired of people arguing with me and saying "my camera is better because it has more megapixels! That means more quality!" I'm just like "your not even worth arguing about this if you believe that."

acslater017
Jun 6, 2012, 03:30 PM

- 1GB RAM
- Thinner design

No.

You're forgetting that it will likely be 4G/LTE - a wonderful thing to have if you live in certain areas. It might also have NFC or AirDrop features, which would be pretty neat. Putting aside that there are probably features that we're not even imagining, the improvements that you've mentioned pretty much amount to an improvement in nearly every aspect of the phone.

I'm on a great upgrade rhythm (3G in 2008, 4 in 2010, "5" in 2012) and it definitely sounds good enough for me! It's going to be a long summer! :D

baryon
Jun 6, 2012, 03:31 PM
iPhone 5's rear camera will feature a larger f/2.2 aperture than iPhone 4S's f/2.4. However, larger aperture means more noises

Wrong. A larger aperture (f/2.2 is larger than f/2.4) means LESS noise, since more light is hitting the sensor through the larger hole (aperture). The larger the aperture, the smaller the f/ number. A larger f number would mean more noise, and would mean a smaller aperture, which is apparently not the case.

Chief Pilot
Jun 6, 2012, 03:33 PM
IMO there is no revolutionary change on the rumored iPhone.
And I didn't expect any revolutionary changes. For me it's still the perfect smartphone.
I don't like the idea of a thinner iPhone, but I'll buy one because I will like it despite the thin form...

acslater017
Jun 6, 2012, 03:34 PM

You know, everyone mocked Tim Cooks statement when those supposed cases leaked the day he mentioned doubling down on security. But no one knows if those are real - they could very well be counterintelligence, designed to feel out leaks.

ChrisTX
Jun 6, 2012, 03:36 PM
No matter how awesome these rumors are, I can't help but feel letdown by the idea of a taller iPhone.

Sensamic
Jun 6, 2012, 03:36 PM
You're forgetting that it will likely be 4G/LTE - a wonderful thing to have if you live in certain areas. It might also have NFC or AirDrop features, which would be pretty neat. Putting aside that there are probably features that we're not even imagining, the improvements that you've mentioned pretty much amount to an improvement in nearly every aspect of the phone.

I'm on a great upgrade rhythm (3G in 2008, 4 in 2010, "5" in 2012) and it definitely sounds good enough for me! It's going to be a long summer! :D

Okay, so 4G and lets say iOS 6 is really awesome. Maybe...

That screen better convince me its good cause I don't like its not wider.

I hate that the iPhone 5S will then get the 10Mpx or 12Mpx camera and not the iPhone 5. Plus it surely will get the quad core A6. iPhone 5 should have the quad core, not the 5S. Some Android phones already have quad core and we are going to have to wait till 2013 for it? I don't get it.

Xcallibur
Jun 6, 2012, 03:37 PM

I think the iPod Touch is actually more comfortable to handle than the 4S.

----------

Indeed, that is what I thought.

yoak
Jun 6, 2012, 03:43 PM
Rather keep the thickness and increase battery time. Itīs annoying to run out of battery berfore the day ends

Drunken Master
Jun 6, 2012, 04:08 PM
iPhone
3G
3Gs

So No, the 3Gs was the 3rd iPhone

iPhone 4 was the 4th

:rolleyes:

now go sit in the corner

That's what I said, Einstein.

You go sit in a corner.

Sensamic
Jun 6, 2012, 04:17 PM
Rather keep the thickness and increase battery time. Itīs annoying to run out of battery berfore the day ends

I get 2 days of battery life in my iPhone 4.

Best battery life I've ever seen on a phone. Couldn't get any better.

AustinIllini
Jun 6, 2012, 04:35 PM
Wrong. I call it the iPad 3 as it seems silly to call it "the new iPad" as time wears on. What I can assert, is that "nobody" misinterprets me when I write iPad 3: not now and not a year from now if someone stumbles upon an old thread.

Michael

Agreed. Less they go with a naming convention like this.

1. iPad
2. iPad 2
3. the new iPad
4. the newer iPad
5. the all new iPad
6. the newest iPad
7. iPad 3GS
8. iPad Seal Clubber
9. iPad Pro
10. iPad X

kemo
Jun 6, 2012, 04:35 PM
We are talking about 1.4mm difference. That's .05 inches. Not .5 inches, .05. It's really not anything to get excited about either way.

but u will get excited once you'll get about 2 hours of extra battery life of that .05 inches!

AustinIllini
Jun 6, 2012, 04:36 PM
I get 2 days of battery life in my iPhone 4.

Best battery life I've ever seen on a phone. Couldn't get any better.

Anyone who thinks iPhone has poor battery life should try an android not named "Droid Razr maxx" for about two hours or until the battery runs out (whichever one is shorter).

kemo
Jun 6, 2012, 04:40 PM
Agreed. Less they go with a naming convention like this.

1. iPad
2. iPad 2
3. the new iPad
4. the newer iPad
5. the all new iPad
6. the newest iPad
7. iPad 3GS
8. iPad Seal Clubber
9. iPad Pro
10. iPad X

u've forgotten iPad Air..

----------

Anyone who thinks iPhone has poor battery life should try an android not named "Droid Razr maxx" for about two hours or until the battery runs out (whichever one is shorter).

well, I guess it's all about what app is running.

Larrywb
Jun 6, 2012, 04:49 PM
Regardless of the specs, I just hope that in the end, the iphone5 (or whatever the name) takes even BETTER pictures, I never want to feel like I need to carry a point-n-shoot ever again.

iCharles
Jun 6, 2012, 04:50 PM
I had a suspicion that Apple would focus on the front camera more than the back with the new iPhone. Glad to hear it might happen... it is definitely a much needed bump.

JayJayAbels
Jun 6, 2012, 05:10 PM
They will name the next iPhone... "The New iPhone" as they did with the iPad.
They veered off course for awhile but are attempting to "nip it in the bud" right now.
There are no iMac 12's. Or Macbook Pro 5's. Every other year or so there are simply newer versions of them.

By making this move now... they are attempting to streamline their product line as well as avoid future consumer confusion.

I think it's a fantastic idea. But aside from the whole naming debacle... I'm all for thinning it down so long as the main features are left intact and overall improvements are made.

saintforlife
Jun 6, 2012, 05:11 PM

1.4mm is worth getting excited about when we consider that we are starting at 9.3mm. A 7.9mm iPhone 5 will be 15% thinner than the iPhone 4S.

cmvsm
Jun 6, 2012, 05:26 PM
Maybe I'm not reading this right, but the new iPhone's camera is going from f/2.4 to f/2.2, and they are saying that will equate to more noise? An aperture of f/2.2 will allow more light into the lens, therefore less noise in dark situations. This is a good thing.

BuddyTronic
Jun 6, 2012, 05:37 PM

Yes, the reduced f number of the lens would mean better light gathering - so even better indoor performance!

b166er
Jun 6, 2012, 06:33 PM
I just had a dream that I got to play with one of these taller phones before release and I hated it haha.

Anyway, I'm all about improving the camera as much as possible. I am obviously not a pro photographer, but I have been able to catch some really great shots with the 4S.

As far as being thinner- the 4/4S is already very thin. Sometimes if I am wearing slacks, I forget the phone is even in my pocket. I'm not against a thinner phone really, just as long as I can hold it comfortably and it still gets great battery life.

OrangeSVTguy
Jun 6, 2012, 07:18 PM
Next Generation iPhone to be better than iPhone 4s.

Well I doubt Apple will want to go backwards? :p

iSayuSay
Jun 6, 2012, 07:34 PM

Embarassing comment plus first page post make it all possible :D

Old argument, but iPhone 3G was the 2nd iteration iPhone. Regardless of 3G feature, by your logic it shouldn't be called the way it was. It should be iPhone 2, dont you think? :rolleyes:

Even original iPhone often called iPhone 2G, you didnt think it was stupid? Really? Where was iPhone 1G? Huh? And when 4G LTE comes to iPhone, what should it be called since iPhone 4 name was already taken?

The only exact numbering with iPhone was iPhone 4. And I may say 4s is actually iPhone 4.5 due to lack of changes, I'm not wrong either. 4s was never meant to be the 5th iPhone, even Apple itself call 4s as iPhone 4.1 in their iTunes plist database.

So yeah, who's stupid now?

gta50419
Jun 6, 2012, 07:39 PM

How about No....

ohbrilliance
Jun 6, 2012, 08:00 PM
Scoring hasn't been around for six years :)

twoodcc
Jun 6, 2012, 08:13 PM
that's good. but i'm still not convinced on a taller but not wider screen.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 6, 2012, 08:36 PM
but u will get excited once you'll get about 2 hours of extra battery life of that .05 inches!

It's going to be .05 inch slimmer, not thicker. If the next iPhone has a bigger battery it's going to be because it's taller. So, no I'm not going to get excited about the iPhone 5 b/c it's slimmer. Maybe for other reasons, but not that.

1.4mm is worth getting excited about when we consider that we are starting at 9.3mm. A 7.9mm iPhone 5 will be 15% thinner than the iPhone 4S.

I suppose if you are a numbers geek, but I'm not. From a human factors perspective .05 inches isn't all that perceptible to make either a positive or negative impression on the avg. consumer.

akbarali.ch
Jun 6, 2012, 09:37 PM

A Must

----------

that's good. but i'm still not convinced on a taller but not wider screen.

Me too, i like the current aspect ratio, why fix something thats not broken?
iphone4 had 2x res on both sides, iphone5 can have 3x res on both sides. That comes about to 1440x960. Thats pretty doable, check the link below
http://www.ijailbreak.com/news/lg-5-inch-1920-x-1080-hd-mobile-display/

cherishzm
Jun 6, 2012, 10:46 PM
Take it easy gays! We're just talking about 'RUMORS'!! Personally, I'd love to have 4.5" high-res screen with thinner body and longer lasting battery.. Galaxy Nexus fit nearly perfect but I could not stand the Android and the plastic.. Surprise us Apple!! It's time for that..

Caliber26
Jun 6, 2012, 11:03 PM
Take it easy gays! We're just talking about 'RUMORS'!! Personally, I'd love to have 4.5" high-res screen with thinner body and longer lasting battery.. Galaxy Nexus fit nearly perfect but I could not stand the Android and the plastic.. Surprise us Apple!! It's time for that..

We're taking it easy. It's all these heteros that are losing their shhh over it. :D

Navdakilla
Jun 6, 2012, 11:06 PM
Can't wait.

MacinDoc
Jun 7, 2012, 12:46 AM
Wrong. A larger aperture (f/2.2 is larger than f/2.4) means LESS noise, since more light is hitting the sensor through the larger hole (aperture). The larger the aperture, the smaller the f/ number. A larger f number would mean more noise, and would mean a smaller aperture, which is apparently not the case.
Thanks for that clarification, I was wondering about that myself.

Zaqfalcon
Jun 7, 2012, 12:47 AM
Still hoping for an iPhone nano.

MacinDoc
Jun 7, 2012, 12:49 AM
Okay, so 4G and lets say iOS 6 is really awesome. Maybe...

That screen better convince me its good cause I don't like its not wider.

I hate that the iPhone 5S will then get the 10Mpx or 12Mpx camera and not the iPhone 5. Plus it surely will get the quad core A6. iPhone 5 should have the quad core, not the 5S. Some Android phones already have quad core and we are going to have to wait till 2013 for it? I don't get it.
Don't get so caught up in the numbers. The best ARM-based processor currently available is dual-core, not quad-core. And a 10+ MP camera with such a small sensor would take terrible pictures. My newest point-and shoot camera (I just like something pocketable with high optical zoom that's always with you when you need it) has 4 fewer MP than the one it replaced, but takes far better pictures. The two things that would most improve the quality of the iPhone's camera would be a larger sensor (not necessarily more MP) and a larger aperture (which is apparently coming). Those are the numbers that we should be most concerned with. Unfortunately, they don't translate that well into marketing.

macbookflasher
Jun 7, 2012, 01:06 AM
more thinner means to look more astonished
it,ll be the great job .it,ll be a surprise for the whole world

:o

1phone
Jun 7, 2012, 01:12 AM
Does it really meter what will be the name of it ???
i just want to feel it in my hand, touch it, make love to it :D

jimbo1mcm
Jun 7, 2012, 02:31 AM
I have a Ip4 and my wife has a 4s. They are great, but I ordered the Galaxy S3, just to try it out. I used to have a DroidX and my wife used to have a Droid Pro, so I am not a stranger to Android. The new upgrades to Android seem to make it very fluid. Maybe I'm bored, but the S3 looks exciting to me. I have 14 days after I get it to decide. I think Apple is VERY worried about the S3.

macbookflasher
Jun 7, 2012, 03:04 AM
wow thinner means that to look more surprised .
i, waiting for .:o

WorldMage
Jun 7, 2012, 06:14 AM

Right, so I suspect they will be dropping the sensor size back down to 1/4 (perhaps smaller).

Otherwise it seems unlikely that they would be unable to increase the apature and decrease the thickness, it would also explain the mention of noise because a smaller sensor means smaller pixels which means more noise, which as you said the larger apature would balance to some extent.

watchthisspace
Jun 7, 2012, 07:24 AM
The new iPhone, will sell like crazy! I do hope the rear hasn't got the two bars like a lot of leaked photo's suggest.

jclardy
Jun 7, 2012, 10:30 AM
Right, so I suspect they will be dropping the sensor size back down to 1/4 (perhaps smaller).

Otherwise it seems unlikely that they would be unable to increase the apature and decrease the thickness, it would also explain the mention of noise because a smaller sensor means smaller pixels which means more noise, which as you said the larger apature would balance to some extent.

Couldn't they increase the size of the lens to keep the same sensor size?

It just seems weird to me that they would go backwards on one of the iPhone's biggest selling points.

\-V-/
Jun 11, 2012, 09:36 PM
Wouldn't they call it iphone 0.5, because it's a 0.5 mm slimmer camera?

Or iPhone 6 because of iOS 6? :eek:

nonamenumber3
Jul 21, 2012, 10:35 PM

YOU sir are wrong. Aperture does not affect noise. The actual sensor size is what affects noise in addition to the ISO (which is a term referring to a film's sensitivity to light and now translated to digital).

A smaller aperture (larger number) does not mean more noise. It means that the actual hole letting light in, is smaller. Obviously with phones not controlling shutter speed (which a phone doesn't have an actual shutter) or ISO, a larger aperture is desirable. But I do reiterate, smaller aperture does not influence the "noise" in a photograph.

----------

Another wrong statement.

Aperture size is not a matter of thickness, it's a matter of radius. They will continue to make larger apertures because it doesn't take up much real estate. pixels do not influence the "noise" in the photograph unless you were to enlarge the photograph. The pixel size in a camera phone is more than enough for viewing on your phone and uploading to Facebook. It's when people try to take the photograph and use it in a larger setting. It's a PHONE, not a camera. People need to stop pretending they are photographers with their instagram.

baryon
Jul 22, 2012, 04:25 AM
YOU sir are wrong. Aperture does not affect noise. The actual sensor size is what affects noise in addition to the ISO (which is a term referring to a film's sensitivity to light and now translated to digital).

A smaller aperture (larger number) does not mean more noise. It means that the actual hole letting light in, is smaller. Obviously with phones not controlling shutter speed (which a phone doesn't have an actual shutter) or ISO, a larger aperture is desirable. But I do reiterate, smaller aperture does not influence the "noise" in a photograph.

I'm sorry to correct you but I'm a professional photographer, and I know what I'm talking about. Although the iPhone may not be a professional camera, it does have a shutter, albeit an electronic one, otherwise it would be unable to record an image. Every image has a well controlled exposure time and ISO that is set by the phone based on the calculated correct exposure. To prove this, take an image in low light, and shake the phone. It will be blurry due to the longer exposure. Do the same in bright daylight, the image will be less blurry, showing how much shorter the exposure time is. Also observe the increased noise in darker scenes, this is due to increased ISO. These are basics of photography, every camera does this, even the cheapest, smallest and crappiest ones.

If you still don't believe me, read the metadata from the image files your phone takes, or go to Flickr and read the metadata from other people's iPhone pictures. It will clearly say the exposure, ISO and aperture values, and the first two will all be different on different photos. The aperture is not variable on the iPhone, as it's the only thing that would have to be mechanical, so the phone has to make do with changing the ISO and the shutter speed. How else would it change the exposure to match the scene?

Indeed, a smaller aperture, in itself, means nothing for noise. But if you take a sensor paired with a smaller aperture, and then the same sensor with a larger aperture, then the one with the larger aperture will be able to achieve less noise, as it will have enough light to achieve a lower ISO, while the smaller aperture will force the camera to increase the ISO and/or the shutter speed, resulting in more noise eventually.

Noise depends on the sensor size and type, but also on the ISO. The higher the ISO, the more noise, when comparing identical sensors. The smaller the aperture, the less light, so the higher the ISO will have to be, increasing noise.

Sensor size allows for more light to be detected, making higher ISO settings less prone to noise. But higher ISO will always result in more noise in the same sensor.

So, if you take the iPhone's lens and give it a bigger aperture, the phone will be able to produce less noisy images, and/or faster shutter speeds. Chances are it will do both, as long shutter speeds are just as undesirable as noisy images.

Therefore:
Smaller Aperture = Less Light
Less Light = Compensation by increasing shutter speed and/or ISO
Increasing ISO = More Noise
Increasing shutter speed = More motion blur
So: Smaller Aperture = More Noise in many of your photos

Read this article for more info, especially the part about ISO: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-exposure.htm

signs
Aug 27, 2012, 01:03 PM
Anytime the article names "unamed sources", call B.S. Why would they change the form factor? If they did, wouldn't you be seeing lots of photos from case manufacturers? My guess is the smaller internal parts are required because a 4G chipset is a powerhog and will require a larger battery. I'll bet $10 this guy is wrong and I'm right, any takers?

This. The iPad battery got bigger in the last iteration too, and to a big part because of the screen and its required gnu I'm sure – there's likely nothing that drastic on the new iPhone – but I don't imagine LTE chips will be more power efficient than the 3G chips of the current iPhone.

I really wonder what will be the new new about this phone. Anything having to do with maps, still?