Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Finally, after 3 years of loyalty and sexiness, the reign of my beloved Motorola V70 (the old "gotta-have-it" one that swivels) has come to an end. Tomorow, with the new $199 Cingular RAZR special, I plan on picking up a new Motorola. But there lies the problem- I'm torn between choosing the silver or black one. Here's my opinion on them; would be grateful for other insights within the mac community! :)

SILVER- Everything these days are silver (cell-phones, and my powerbook :) ), which makes the product/phone look modern and fresh. I've seen a silver RAZR many times (dad has one), and while it looks really amazing and has the "wow" factor, it sort of looks like an ordinary phone from a distance (color, size when closed, etc.)

BLACK/"SPECIAL EDITION"- I haven't personally seen a black RAZR (came out recently, no?), but the pictures online have made my salivate (sp?) over my pb :p ; seriously, it looks so sexy and different than other phones. I've heard they have more advanced features (video) and have a different touch to them, almost grainy and textured.

Here's my problem- black-colored phones were from the 80's/90's, most things black tend to look unattractive soon (that's why my pb looks so sexy still); will I grow out of the color soon? I'm not someone who changes phones every year; I've kept my V70 waaaay past it's contract. Are there any macrumors members that have a Razr (any color), and their opinions/preferences?

I'm so excited I get a new phone tomorow!!! :D
Thank you for any help!

[EDIT] OMG I put this thread in the wrong section (this is NOT a current event, or is it??)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think the silver looks better, personally, but out of curiosity, are you switching to Cingular, or already with them? If the former, is there a reason you aren't using the free-after-rebates offer from Amazon?

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
mkrishnan said:
I think the silver looks better, personally, but out of curiosity, are you switching to Cingular, or already with them? If the former, is there a reason you aren't using the free-after-rebates offer from Amazon?

I'm with Cingular right now, and I had hoped to order earlier from Amazon, but I'm going to Wyoming on Monday, and I need a new phone (my V70's battery is dying) before I leave on my trip, as I will need access to a cell phone during my one week stay.

[Again, I apologize for this being in current events :( ]

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Don't worry, it was an honest mistake. Someone will come along and move the thread. I don't think you're eligible for the Amazon thing, anyway, if you're a cingular customer now.... But I'm thinking of switching, so when you get back, please post impressions! :)

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
go for the black (if you must have the razr).

whilst your point about the black being all 80s etc, it's nowhere near the cheap black plastic look of back in the day. i think it looks better than the silver, by far. having said that, i still think it's a lot of hype over a mediocre phone...it's not is if it's really all that small, or skinny... how does it compare to the original star-tac i wonder??? which is almost 10 years old now i think?

anyway, get the black

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
the black RAZR is an awesome phone but I don't think any features are different (except the black has more wallpaper/themes).

I think the silver is cooler, however, as the silver with the blue keys are signature RAZR.

Depends on what you like.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
dotdotdot said:
the black RAZR is an awesome phone but I don't think any features are different (except the black has more wallpaper/themes).

I think the silver is cooler, however, as the silver with the blue keys are signature RAZR.

Depends on what you like.

the black doesn't have the blue keys?? :confused: Are they white instead?

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
I like both the silver and the black. The silver looks very nice and matches the Powerbook, Powermac, and Mini. The black however I think really boasts the inside screen, but mainly it makes it stand out. Almost all the phones out right now are Silver. All I ever see are silver cell phones- when I see a black one it stands out more.

I would say go with black- "Think and Be Different"

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Just to get things strait for me, you do releise that the $199 RAZR deal is if you sign up for a new contract. Assuming you are past your 1 or 2 year commitment you can get a new yearly plan and the phone for $200. But if you are still under contract they will either charge you $500 for the phone or charge you $200 for breaking your contract.

Maybe I'm just confused. :confused:

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Dr. Dastardly said:
Just to get things strait for me, you do releise that the $199 RAZR deal is if you sign up for a new contract. Assuming you are past your 1 or 2 year commitment you can get a new yearly plan and the phone for $200. But if you are still under contract they will either charge you $500 for the phone or charge you $200 for breaking your contract.

Maybe I'm just confused. :confused:

I have passed my contract for more than two years. My V70 plan with Cingular was a rather short one.

I've been studying some pictures that compare the silver and black together, and my only concern is that the black may show up more fingerprints?

mulanzo

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2004
I have the black RAZR... its WAY nicer than the silver one. The silver looks funky to me for some reason. When you see the black, EVERYTHING is black.. when you look at the silver, the case is silver, the little glass on the front is black, and the buttons are chrome...it doesnt look right to me. The black is much sleeker IMO. Functionality wise, both are exactly the same. You can pretty easily change the software in the RAZR to have full functionality ( i hear cingular limits the full potential of the razr, much like rogers in canada). Smudges and finger prints, ... meh... not such a big deal. You WILL see smudges and fingerprints on the inner screen alot. It cant be helped. When you used the keypad, the oils stay on the keys. Then when you close the phone, the oils transfer to the screem so it looks like a keypad-print on the screen. Wipes off easy enough. I love it...best phone ive ever had.

I say get black.. Nobody has the black one. So many of my friends wanna kill me and steal my phone... i cant blame them hahaha.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
mulanzo said:
You can pretty easily change the software in the RAZR to have full functionality ( i hear cingular limits the full potential of the razr, much like rogers in canada).

You can change the software? What did Cingular limit in terms of "full potential"?

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
The black will be more limited, but IMO the Silver looks much better. I hope your not planning on getting the phone just for the IT factor. The PEBL V6 is just around the corner.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Koodauw said:
The black will be more limited, but IMO the Silver looks much better. I hope your not planning on getting the phone just for the IT factor. The PEBL V6 is just around the corner.

Should I wait? Honestly, I just want a phone that looks really cool, works really well (easy to use), and will last for at least 2-3 years.

Does the PEBL have any advantages compared to the RAZR? From the looks of it, it seems like the differences are just cosmetic?

I still can't decide... and I must make the decision tomorow
:rolleyes:

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
I hear the RAZR lacks in durability...

Anyway go for black so it looks cheap, much like the infamous StarTac from the 90's

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I dunno about the RAZR, but my new S710a is black, and it looks freakin' sweet! :p It also cost the same (after rebate) ad your RAZR will. That, and I find the SE interface to be easier than the Motorola.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
How about T-Mobile?

T-Mobile's website has the Razr priced permanently (at least relatively so) at $199. I believe they only offer the silver, but I think that's a better look anyway. It goes with your pbook.

Their minutes are cheaper too (if you live in CA you can get 1000 for 39.99 plus nights & weekends). For disclosures sake I'd better admit that I work in a T-Mobile call center, but I have very little loyalty to the company. My recommendation is an honest one. :)

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
i have the silver one, which i picked out of choice..

i didn't like the fact that the black has a silver keypad..looks kinda bad imho.

i dunno, i just prefer the silver one. it's always a matter of opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.