PDA

View Full Version : "iPhone 5" Back Cover Hands-On Video

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Jun 7, 2012, 01:48 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/07/iphone-5-back-cover-hands-on-video/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/iphone5.png

Cydiablog (http://cydiablog.com/iphone-5-back-cover-comparison-video/) points to a new hands on video with the same "iPhone 5" parts that have been circulating (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/29/more-photos-from-claimed-next-generation-iphone-include-front-panel-with-centered-facetime-camera/). The new video was posted (http://www.etradesupply.com/) by part supply company eTradeSupply.

8XY841RAY4Y
The new video is not especially more revealing, but does show the backplate in a number of different angles. The narrator also compares it directly to the iPhone 4, showing the relative size. Other features noted:

- Smaller dock port
- Bottom headphone jack
- SIM card slot smaller
- iPhone 5 is thinner than iPhone 4S (though no screen on the iPhone 5)

Article Link: "iPhone 5" Back Cover Hands-On Video (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/07/iphone-5-back-cover-hands-on-video/)

Vip
Jun 7, 2012, 01:50 AM
Seems very plausible, considering all the other rumors...

lecturenotes
Jun 7, 2012, 01:51 AM
I still can't decide if I like the headphone jack on the bottom.

It might be easier in terms of pulling your phone out of your pocket to look at the screen, but i'm just so used to having it on the top of the device.

themcfly
Jun 7, 2012, 01:51 AM
Makes sense. After the unibody Macs, the unibody iPhone. :cool:

angemon89
Jun 7, 2012, 01:53 AM
It actually looks nicer than in the pictures.

AznTakumi
Jun 7, 2012, 01:53 AM
This doesn't seem real because the back has this two tone matt/shinny finish which I cannot imagine apple doing. Also they got rid of the 30 pin dock port which might happen but see how they have been using the same port for so many generations, I find it highly unlikely they'll change it.

elvetio
Jun 7, 2012, 01:54 AM
I just don't like it. I'm not saying that is ugly. It's not. But the 4 looks so much better.

Just saying...

AlBDamned
Jun 7, 2012, 01:55 AM
The engineering, size etc all seems very plausible, but what gives with that two-tone back - glass/plastic and aluminum?

This is something I couldn't figure out on the earlier videos - it looks quite naff and 'unApple'. That's not to accuse it of being a fake video, just that the design is quite jarring, and not what we'd typically expect.

It is similar to the iMac and iPad in the dual use of material, but the the actual glass top and tail....

MattJessop
Hmm, I'll admit it does look a lot better in that video than it did in those mock ups we saw ages ago, and it's starting to grow on me a bit. But it still looks a bit odd? That said, all these consistent leaks do make one wonder. :p

chrmjenkins
Looks better than in the pics. And a gun metal looking rim? Me Gusta. Still have my salt shaker nearby though.

beg_ne
Liking the refinements so far. I can't quite tell if there is a slight bevel or not on the edges. Hopefully there is. The sharp angles o. The 4/4S make the iPhone a bit uncomfortable to hold without a case.

With the new iPhone looking even better I really don't want to put a case on it.

Caliber26
Jun 7, 2012, 01:57 AM
I know I'm probably judging too soon, and I know I'll be the first to preorder it, BUT that backside is really putting me thru it! It looks like a detachable plastic back, found on most Androids.

Reaktor5
Jun 7, 2012, 01:58 AM
If the new iPhone is this far along in production, what does everyone think of a sooner than October launch?

andyjam
The top of that looks really nice... If it really is just a slightly bigger 4 with all the seams gone, then I think I'm sold.

MR1324
with all these product leaks, i think this year's WWDC is going to be huge!

Stang68
Wow, that's a pretty ugly back...

ajcadoo
Jun 7, 2012, 01:59 AM
I have a feeling the iPhone 5 makes it's debut as the first "One more thing..." at WWDC after Steve's passing.

Fingers crossed!

angemon89
I remember how everyone hated the iPhone 4 design when it first leaked. This could actually be the new iPhone, and it'll start to "grow on people." I can see it now....

Mr. Retrofire
...and unibody iPod touch.

staccato83
Jun 7, 2012, 02:00 AM
I wish they would have kept the headphone jack on the top and make the speaker/mic holes symmetrical on the bottom. Not really sure how I feel about the two tone back or the change in power connector.

Michael Scrip
Jun 7, 2012, 02:01 AM

It might be easier in terms of pulling your phone out of your pocket to look at the screen, but i'm just so used to having it on the top of the device.

True... but the iPod Touch and the previous generation Nano were like that.

If this is true... I wonder if they will explain why they moved it. Maybe they need all that room at the top for a larger LTE antenna?

yodaxl7
Jun 7, 2012, 02:01 AM
Just a wild guess! Just like the ps vita, the two tone may reflect a multi touch back pad! :)

vikpt
Jun 7, 2012, 02:02 AM
if this is true the abrupt black-dark grey-black style is not aesthetically pleasing

MathijsDelva
Jun 7, 2012, 02:02 AM
As i told in another thread. I'm pretty sure these backplates are a controlled leak. This surely is one of those old prototype 'next-gen' iPhones in an old body in order to disguise the real iPhone. It's already a known fact Apple made/makes a lot of different designs (new parts in old bodies, other way around) just to confuse people. What's with all the sudden prototype iPhones floating around? You think Apple would just let the real iPhone leaked out there?

austinguy23
Jun 7, 2012, 02:03 AM
Ugh, the two-tone appearance is tacky. Just make it all aluminum - geeze.

Michael Scrip
Jun 7, 2012, 02:04 AM
If the new iPhone is this far along in production, what does everyone think of a sooner than October launch?

I wanna know where these small companies get their parts... and how they get unreleased parts too... assuming this is a real part.

This could just be a clever hoax to get us to their website.

thekeyring
Jun 7, 2012, 02:05 AM
Once they include the screen it shouldn't add too much thickness, should it?

Reaktor5

Most likely for reception.

filthysambo
Could that beast be made of liquid metal?

PhxBlue
Jun 7, 2012, 02:06 AM
If thats fake, thats an impressive fake.

Zzzoom
Jun 7, 2012, 02:07 AM
I dig a lot that the new one will be thinner. However, I still don't think that the stretched form factor is a good idea. I do have to see the two tone in real life, but it looks a bit strange, as well as the build quality seems to be less good.

OMGbrandon
Jun 7, 2012, 02:08 AM
Not digging the whole half shiny half matte.

Sir Ruben
Jun 7, 2012, 02:09 AM
Guys....I dont know....watching that vid, Im not so sure there is any glass on the back. I think the top and bottom may be some other kind of material. I can picture the antenna's being positioned behind these.

Technarchy
If it is real, I can live with it.

If it is a hoax, it's a damn elaborate hoax.

Prodo123
Looks like it's scratch-happy easy-crack plastic.
Make it all metal or do a glass back again, none of this two-tone plastic crap.

JoEw
I don't like the idea of not being able to open the phone easily if this turns to be the real iphone :mad: Just like my ipad I have a feel apple is just gonna put a lot of glue on front to keep people from easily getting into their device.

Reaktor5
Jun 7, 2012, 02:10 AM
I don't like the idea of not being able to open the phone easily if this turns to be the real iphone :mad: Just like my ipad I have a feel apple is just gonna put a lot of glue on front to keep people from easily getting into their device.

And why do you need to open your iPhone again?

beebler
Jun 7, 2012, 02:11 AM
It's not as nice as the 4/4s but in all honesty that design is hard to beat. I think keepin the width similar is smart along with moving the headphone jack to the bottom, I always thought it makes more sense. Should be fun.

saving107
Jun 7, 2012, 02:12 AM
I have a feeling the iPhone 5 makes it's debut as the first "One more thing..." at WWDC after Steve's passing.

Fingers crossed!

Considering Apple is going to be changing the aspect ratio of the screen (rumored), you are expecting developers to only be given 2 weeks to test out iOS 6 beta before it is certified GM the following week for mass distribution?

Not including the first iPhone, every iPhone since has been released 2-3 months after iOS has completed its beta testing, that takes time.

tgc
Jun 7, 2012, 02:12 AM
I still can't decide if I like the headphone jack on the bottom..

I agree. My current phone sits in a doc while it charges and I often listen through my headphones while this happens.

Jabman
Jun 7, 2012, 02:13 AM
Honestly the iphone 4 looks so much better. Which leads me to believe that this thing ant real.

Dresling
Jun 7, 2012, 02:13 AM
The sound the part makes when he puts it on the desk reveals that the aluminium is very thin. It sounds cheap.

We can never be sure as to if this is a real leak, but I sure hope not. Please give me 4,1 - 4,3 inches and keep the original ratio. Please Apple? And for heavens sake 128GB!!!!!!

JoEw
Jun 7, 2012, 02:14 AM
And why do you need to open your iPhone again?

Umm replace the battery (since I actually use my phone for more then 6 months unlike most people.)

Fix components if phone became broken, i have needed to have this type of stuff done on my 4. And it doesn't make sense to not have a way to actually open up a phone without ripping it apart by it's glue :rolleyes:

Michael Scrip
Jun 7, 2012, 02:15 AM
I agree. My current phone sits in a doc while it charges and I often listen through my headphones while this happens.

Don't worry... with the old dock connector gone... Apple will gladly sell you a new dock!!!

:D

jimbo1mcm
Jun 7, 2012, 02:15 AM
Apple has to do something to slow down the Galaxy S3. These "leaks" just don't happen. It is planned by Apple.

Nostromo
Jun 7, 2012, 02:18 AM
A hands-on video for the back cover? :D

Do I look forward to real Mac Pro news!

Sir Ruben
Jun 7, 2012, 02:19 AM
I have to admit the more I look at it the more I like it.

To the person who said the back made a strange sound when placed on the desk, thats just because its hollow. When it has its guts and screen attached it will feel like a nice solid unit.

URFloorMatt
Jun 7, 2012, 02:20 AM

Nope. Q4 is Q4. Unless they're planning iTV for Q4, in which case Q3 would be in the cards.

Release dates are set by quarterly sales. By pushing the iPhone back to October, Apple had a gangbusters Q4. Can't move it unless they've got something else to replace it with, or else investors will throw a fit.

(For clarification, I'm talking calendar year, not fiscal. I think Q4 is actually Apple's fiscal Q1.)

AppleFan115
Jun 7, 2012, 02:20 AM
I still have doubts about this being the back cover. Here's my reason why:

Pretend the iPhone 4 design had never come out and you're seeing the iPhone 4 design for the first time along with this proposed iPhone 5 design. Which one would you choose? I think most people would go with the iPhone 4 design. Different isn't necessarily better. I remember what Jony I've once said, "We don't change something unless we can make it fundamentally better." This proposed iPhone 5 design is not a change for the better. It is a change for the sake of change and is very un-Apple like in my opinion. As long as I have known Apple products, they have always tried to keep their products sleek and simple. This doesn't seem to follow that with the aluminum, glass, etc.

I personally think they could go another round with this design since they have just increased the screen size, so it will be actually different. Then again, it might pose a problem because the 5s, if it is called that, will be the same design if we are to follow Apple's history. I don't think people will be too happy about having a pretty similar design for 4 years on a mobile device.

I will certainly buy the iPhone 5 even if it is this design. However, I have a gut feeling that this isn't the real case. The only real plus is the unibody to me.

sfrancis928
Jun 7, 2012, 02:26 AM
This proposed iPhone 5 design is not a change for the better. It is a change for the sake of change and is very un-Apple like in my opinion.

It looks like a definite change for the better to me. Thinner, bigger screen, bigger speaker, smaller dock connector... And I still think it looks pretty sleek, not that this is definitely the final mockup or anything. But I wouldn't have any complaints if it was.

BrettArchibald
Jun 7, 2012, 02:27 AM
The first thing I thought when I saw this was, cheap Chinese pretend-iPhone knockoff with a big sticker on the back. That whole two-tone back just looks so wrong - it looks like the shine of a sticker on a non-shiny surface.
Also, that new smaller dock connector... I just can't imagine Apple changing this.
I hope I'm right and I hope this is NOT the new iPhone.
(I also hope the headphone jack doesn't get moved to the bottom.)

chanyitian
Jun 7, 2012, 02:27 AM

Yea. I originally didnt like the back, but this actually looks good.

tslewis
Jun 7, 2012, 02:28 AM
FAKE obviously.

No way head phone jack is in bottom.

ANyone who uses an iPhone to listen to music while running or walking will know it can't be on bottom. How are you going to listen to music if the jack is in the bottom and your phone is in your pocket?

What about sports bands? No way are apple going to make the jack on the bottom.

TOTAL FAKE

bharatgupta
Jun 7, 2012, 02:29 AM
i think galaxy sIII scores more in design than this thing, common u couldn't do a uniform unibody design, it ll look even more odd in white color(which is my preferred color of choice for iphone). I m dissapointed.

Well it does makes sense now that apple will be introducing ip 5 in coming wwdc event, it is due for an update given the market competition.

all the best apple, but seriously u are disappointing ur users in design realm with all these product updates

charlieegan3
Jun 7, 2012, 02:29 AM
still really not liking the split color/finish back, just looks odd.

CplBadboy
Jun 7, 2012, 02:30 AM

And that's why you have an audio out jack at the rear of the dock :)

AppleFan115
Jun 7, 2012, 02:30 AM
It looks like a definite change for the better to me. Thinner, bigger screen, bigger speaker, smaller dock connector... And I still think it looks pretty sleek, not that this is definitely the final mockup or anything. But I wouldn't have any complaints if it was.

Oh don't get me wrong, all those things at great. Buy couldn't they have kept one solid material or color on the back?

indiekiduk
Jun 7, 2012, 02:31 AM
without a doubt a fake

bharatgupta
Jun 7, 2012, 02:31 AM
FAKE obviously.

ANyone who uses an iPhone to listen to music while running or walking will know it can't be on bottom. How are you going to listen to music if the jack is in the bottom and your phone is in your pocket?

TOTAL FAKE

u pick up the phone from ur pocket in an inverted position hence design makes sense, i vote for it rather than against it.

realeric
Jun 7, 2012, 02:32 AM
I likes the new iPhone. It's thinner, lighter, stronger, bigger. Yes, it has ugly back but I don't care.

iHateMacs
FAKE obviously.
How are you going to listen to music if the jack is in the bottom and your phone is in your pocket?

Put it in upside down. The phone is symmetrical. You won't notice the difference.

I always have my iPhone upside down in my shirt pocket so the speaker is upwards so I can hear it ring easier when it's noisy. Makes sense to have the socket there too so you can wear headphones and also have the speaker upwards.

hleewell
The duo tone of glossy black and matte black is rather uncharacteristic of Apple. Either one as an all enveloping type is OK but duo tone is just...wrong. iPhone 4s glass back looks beautiful but fragile. This new looks durable but ...incongruous.

What say you?

CplBadboy
FAKE obviously.

TOTAL FAKE

You simply put the phone head first into your pocket and to compliment that when you take it out of,your pocket it's easier to orientate the device into view. Jeez.

kiwiboi87
Once they include the screen it shouldn't add too much thickness, should it?

if its done like the 4/4s it won't add much at all
iv seen a 4 taken apart the screen adds very little in terms of thickness

beg_ne
Jun 7, 2012, 02:37 AM
The sound the part makes when he puts it on the desk reveals that the aluminium is very thin. It sounds cheap.

You serious? Exactly how thick do you want it to be? You get that it won't sound like that when it's packed full of components and stiff right?

verniesgarden
Jun 7, 2012, 02:42 AM
am I the only one thinking that it might possibly be a micro USB port instead of dock... I know it's "unApple" but europe did make it a standard must for all mobiles right? and a micro USB would be my smaller internals, it would be foolish for apple to not go that route in my opinion, it just cuts costs and improves compatibly across the board.

Northgrove
Jun 7, 2012, 02:43 AM
I think it looks great! Argh, I'm still on an iPhone 3GS and this makes me eager to skip the 4S as well and go straight for this one. :p

With a screen, I think it'll share similar thickness as the 4S.

The iPhone 5 back design instantly made me think of the new rumored Mac Pro design (in that website screenshot leak thing) with the top/bottom "borders".

iMcLovin
Jun 7, 2012, 02:44 AM
looks like a big matte sticker on the back, I don't really like it. Maybe it will be better hands on, but from what I've seen it looks worse than the iphone 4 design. I dont understand the split of material on the back, it's not as conducted as earlier designs.

arbourable
Jun 7, 2012, 02:48 AM
The noise cancelling mic appears to have moved to between the camera/flash. This is a good place when recording sound for video but maybe not so good for the original purpose (could cover the mic when holding the phone)?

What about the antenna? I believe the iPhone 4 has a stainless steel band... if this is a unibody aluminium part, would aluminium be as good at conducting a signal? Or are we looking at a liquid metal part, made from some exotic alloy?

Personally, I like the styling. And I think this is genuine.

Edit: Might "liquid metal" be grey? and the band a polish applied after manufacture?

F123D
Jun 7, 2012, 02:49 AM
I like it so far. Wish it was wider but I'll wait to see before I decide.

I bet the back serves some type of purpose. I remember when the iPhone 4 came out and everyone was complaining about those lines on the side of the phone and how it was so unapple like only to find out it served a purpose (to touch so signal bars drop.. jk :p).

sinser
Looks really ugly

Michael Scrip
FAKE obviously.

TOTAL FAKE

I'd like to direct your attention to the iPod Touch... and also the first 5 generations of the iPod Nano.

Yes... headphone jack on the bottom.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/09/12/IMG_7419_610x458.JPGhttp://the-gadgeteer.com/assets/apple-2g-nano-9.jpg

barryl85
Jun 7, 2012, 02:50 AM
Under the iPhone lettering on every iPhone has the "designed by apple in california" and the other icons and text etc...

Why wouldn't this even if it is a prototype the iPhone 4 prototype found in a bar had them.

Feed Me
Jun 7, 2012, 02:51 AM
Just saying: this is *not* the back cover of the next iPhone. You'll see.

Varedis
Jun 7, 2012, 02:51 AM
FAKE obviously.

TOTAL FAKE

You better spread your breaking news to all the people that have had an iPod Touch for all these years that they haven't actually been able to hear music through their headphones because the jack is on the bottom. I smell a conspiracy.

seble
Jun 7, 2012, 02:53 AM
Apple using those contrasting materials will be much more noticeable on a white IPhone...

I just hope we'll be able to replace the back of this iPhone like we can with the 4/4S just through taking off a couple of screws.

phonitron
Jun 7, 2012, 02:53 AM
I appreciate I'm not looking at a final product yet, or indeed if the part is actually going to be used but... The style and design is not what I've come to expect from Apple and I'd be really surprised (and disappointed) if this is the genuine final part. The aluminium band across the middle of the rear is just far too noisy and too busy for a minimalist design.

I'm also not convinced about the size... The iPhone 4s and all the others before it have been the perfect size for a smart phone. The one in the leak here is just too tall and long.

bobright
Jun 7, 2012, 02:55 AM
Oh don't get me wrong, all those things at great. Buy couldn't they have kept one solid material or color on the back?

Seriously it looks like a terrible primer paint job experiment. Ew.

jon08
Jun 7, 2012, 02:55 AM
Well, I don't want the earphone jack on the bottom of the phone!! That way you can't even put the phone on the table vertically and lean it against something when talking on Facetime!

Two thumbs down on this one, I hope it's not true. This is one thing I never liked about iPod Touch before...

Nevzorus
Jun 7, 2012, 02:58 AM
I want to see the white one too, and this iPhone seems kinda greenish in the video to be honest..
I don't like that it has black on all sides and it looks so bad at the bottom. I like the back, it's nice.

acslater017
Jun 7, 2012, 03:02 AM

All-aluminum = terrible reception
All-glass = fragile
Mostly aluminum, with some glass = reception where you need it, strength where you need it.

Ordinarily I'd be very skeptical of a leak like this - but it's so detailed and thorough. The headphone jack is in a better place, the dock connector is smaller, the camera flash is a bit farther from the lens, etc. Usually a hoax is very roughshod, but this part looks quite feasible. It even has the little bevels on the edge of the stainless steel frame.

Who knows whether to not this will the final design. But in my book it's at least passable as a prototype. Or some detailed counterintelligence from Apple.

----------

Well, I don't want the earphone jack on the bottom of the phone!! That way you can't even put the phone on the table vertically and lean it against something when talking on Facetime!

Two thumbs down on this one, I hope it's not true. This is one thing I never liked about iPod Touch before...

You could just put the phone upside down...FaceTime works either way :D

The benefits of putting the headphone jack on the bottom far outweigh this one particular use case...Easier to pocket and the cable doesn't dangle out the top.

arbourable
Jun 7, 2012, 03:04 AM

What if this is liquid metal?

shurcooL
Jun 7, 2012, 03:07 AM
This doesn't seem real because the back has this two tone matt/shinny finish which I cannot imagine apple doing.
That stuff is probably needed to keep the antenna parts separate. Notice the glossy/matte change happens exactly where the seams on the sides are.

Also they got rid of the 30 pin dock port which might happen but see how they have been using the same port for so many generations, I find it highly unlikely they'll change it.
So if Apple uses something for a long time, that means they will NEVER ever upgrade it? Yeah, makes sense.

saving107
Jun 7, 2012, 03:09 AM
All-glass = fragile
Mostly aluminum, with some glass = reception where you need it, strength where you need it.

http://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/06/solar-powered-iphone.jpg
So aluminum makes its return and so does the name "the new iPhone" (no more numbers)

We've come full circle.

All you geniuses complaining.about the 2 tone back realize that the original iPhone had a 2 to e back, right?

Also, "Apple would never release a plastic iPhone, thats cheap" = iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS
"Apple would never put dividers on the side" = iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S

sessamoid
Jun 7, 2012, 03:10 AM
All you geniuses complaining.about the 2 tone back realize that the original iPhone had a 2 to e back, right?

acslater017
Jun 7, 2012, 03:11 AM
I could see a few benefits to the two-tone design.

Obviously, if Apple ditches the "external antenna" design, they wouldn't want the 4G and other radios inside a Faraday cage of a case.

Second, if Apple implements NFC technology in the next iPhone, the glass sections could demarcate an area/areas of contact (and also have better NFC "reception"). It would be unmistakable, but more subtle than "here's a big fat NFC logo".

"To transfer a contact, map location, or web address, just tap the 'Share' icon. Then touch the smooth portion of your iPhone's back...to a friend's. And that's it." :cool:

shurcooL
Jun 7, 2012, 03:12 AM
I just don't like it. I'm not saying that is ugly. It's not. But the 4 looks so much better.

Just saying...
I remember that being said about the iPhone 4 vs. 3GS before it came out. People are quick to like Apple's new things after release.

kid0
Jun 7, 2012, 03:13 AM
I still can't believe that Apple is not making em wider.. ugh

shurcooL
Jun 7, 2012, 03:14 AM
The engineering, size etc all seems very plausible, but what gives with that two-tone back - glass/plastic and aluminum?

This is something I couldn't figure out on the earlier videos - it looks quite naff and 'unApple'. That's not to accuse it of being a fake video, just that the design is quite jarring, and not what we'd typically expect.
It's a functional thing, *needed* for antennas to stay separate. Just like the gaps in iPhone 4/4S sides.

steve09090
Jun 7, 2012, 03:15 AM
To me, this is just a mockup of the best rumours to date. Did you hear the tinny sound when he dropped it? Very unlikely this will be the actual body IMO.

wongster41
Jun 7, 2012, 03:15 AM

maybe new charging dock for iphone 5 will have a built in headphone jack... just a guess.

arbourable
Jun 7, 2012, 03:16 AM
I'm also not convinced about the size... The iPhone 4s and all the others before it have been the perfect size for a smart phone. The one in the leak here is just too tall and long.

I also think the phone looks too tall. However, I'm basing this on the fact that it'd be quite a reach to hit a button on the top right/left depending which hand you use when using the phone one-handed. Maybe Apple will change the button bar to be at the bottom (like Instapaper) rather than split between top and bottom like now? I don't know much about iOS development, but couldn't they introduce a revised/new api to apply this to apps without the developers having to do too much work?

musio
Jun 7, 2012, 03:18 AM
Back looks tacky.

Looks like we're getting a micro USB port instead of the Apple dock.

qwerter
Jun 7, 2012, 03:19 AM
I still can't believe that Apple is not making em wider.. ugh

It is wider...if you hold it sideways. :D

Seriously though, I personally dislike the feel of larger phones. Even with my big hands, I find them difficult to hold securely.

And don't get me started on the Samsung Note...

mdriftmeyer
Jun 7, 2012, 03:23 AM

What makes it easier to pull the phone out of your pocket with the jack on the bottom? The phone with the jack in use would presumably be upside down then, rather than right-side up. I would never presumably put my phone upside down and that is one of the most annoying features of the iPod Nano/Touch, for my tastes.

Dangerous Theory
As i told in another thread. I'm pretty sure these backplates are a controlled leak. This surely is one of those old prototype 'next-gen' iPhones in an old body in order to disguise the real iPhone. It's already a known fact Apple made/makes a lot of different designs (new parts in old bodies, other way around) just to confuse people. What's with all the sudden prototype iPhones floating around? You think Apple would just let the real iPhone leaked out there?

That's exactly my thinking. Imagine Tim putting that up on screen to be met with a half-arsed cheer from the slightly perplexed crowd... it's such a silly design that would garner a worse reaction than simply releasing a 4" version of the current design. And you're right- they wouldn't possibly allow the real design to get out so easily. It would be an embarrassment to Tim after saying recently that they're tightening up secrecy.

I would really advise people take this design with a few bags of salt. I expect better, and i think we all should too.

Reaktor5
I remember that being said about the iPhone 4 vs. 3GS before it came out. People are quick to like Apple's new things after release.

Especially after you actually hold the device. I bet the two-tone material has a nice feel to it.

I thought the iPad didn't make sense until I actually got my hands on one.

WeegieMac
Jun 7, 2012, 03:24 AM
Christ, that's big ...

arbourable
To me, this is just a mockup of the best rumours to date. Did you hear the tinny sound when he dropped it? Very unlikely this will be the actual body IMO.

The sound may just be because of it's thinness, it won't sound like this full of stuff! No way this is a mock-up IMO, the detail is too precise. Look at the positioning of the noise cancelling mic, and the speaker grills are all Apple. Of course this could be one of many prototypes, but I don't think so.

mdriftmeyer
Back looks tacky.

Personally, the decreasing thickness of the facing and backplane in that cross sectional top view is disappointing. The phone is the right thickness, now. Reducing it more other than to just be `thinner' is obnoxious and weakens the solid feel of a phone already easily felt the most durable feeling smartphone on the market.

Reaktor5
Jun 7, 2012, 03:26 AM
Christ, that's big ...

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa324/badwolf10/Michael-Thatswhatshesaid.gif

NicktheNorse
Jun 7, 2012, 03:27 AM
Just saying: this is *not* the back cover of the next iPhone. You'll see.

Just saying: this *is* the back cover of the next iPhone.

The engineering on this part is too advanced for this to be a fake.

And it appears the entire back place is one piece aluminium, just the central portion is finished differently (sand blasted, probably).

qwerter
Jun 7, 2012, 03:28 AM
What makes it easier to pull the phone out of your pocket with the jack on the bottom? The phone with the jack in use would presumably be upside down then, rather than right-side up. I would never presumably put my phone upside down and that is one of the most annoying features of the iPod Nano/Touch, for my tastes.

Put your phone in your hand like you would normally use it. Then without manipulating the position of the phone, put it in your pants pocket.

Voila: your phone is now upside-down. The jack on the bottom makes perfect sense.

macbookflasher
Jun 7, 2012, 03:29 AM
wow... impressive... is it available in New York Market? I searched whole day but I did not found :(

arbourable
Jun 7, 2012, 03:29 AM
Back looks tacky.

This doesn't look like a microUSB. This looks like a new, smaller dock connector.

qwerter
Jun 7, 2012, 03:30 AM
And it appears the entire back place is one piece aluminium, just the central portion is finished differently (sand blasted, probably).

I thought so too, but look at the front side of the plate--it appears to have plastic panels attached on the top and bottom. For reception, presumably, like the orignal iphone (and iPads with 3G).

NicktheNorse
Jun 7, 2012, 03:30 AM
All-glass = fragile

The antenna, as well all know, is around the sides of the iphone. So the back plate being all metal won't hurt reception.

hakuna-matata
Jun 7, 2012, 03:31 AM
its impressive for sure but i was hoping for a revolutionary device( with transparent hardware and laser keyboard:D) disappointed but lets hope for the best..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

arbourable

Agreed. But I think that we shouldn't assume this is aluminium.

Reaktor5
This doesn't look like a microUSB. This looks like a new, smaller dock connector.

Think they'll have a new optional microDock (or whatever they end up branding it as) to Thunderbolt for blazingly fast transfers?

mrmarts
This makes me happy that my 2 year contract always falls on a new design i began with a 3G than the iPhone 4 now I look forward to the new design.

Jongo1
Jun 7, 2012, 03:32 AM
I dont know how any of you believe this video. What these people did was smart on their end. Notice how they advertise there company etradesupply. There company makes parts it's easy for them to make a fake iPhone part and it's worth the trouble cause they have millions of people looking at that video advertising their company. Where would this guy randomly stumble upon an iPhone part. He plays clueless like he doesn't know what it is, but the question is where did he get it. Obviously If he had the connects to get the part you'd think his connect would tell him what it is. This is 100% fake and you all are falling right into it. The evidence is all right there.

NicktheNorse
I thought so too, but look at the front side of the plate--it appears to have plastic panels attached on the top and bottom. For reception, presumably, like the orignal iphone (and iPads with 3G).

Yes ok you are right, I missed that the first time around. Interesting!

Reaktor5
The antenna, as well all know, is around the sides of the iphone. So the back plate being all metal won't hurt reception.

Not if the back/sides are made of one piece of aluminum which looks like it is.

miniroll32
Jun 7, 2012, 03:34 AM
This doesn't seem real because the back has this two tone matt/shinny finish which I cannot imagine apple doing. Also they got rid of the 30 pin dock port which might happen but see how they have been using the same port for so many generations, I find it highly unlikely they'll change it.

People also used something called a 3.5 inch floppy disk, but that didn't stop Apple choosing a CD-ROM drive over it.

Oscartapia
Jun 7, 2012, 03:35 AM
Some people has said the back side of the iPhone doesn't looks very Apple, but... I think I can imagine the reason behind that change, and no, don't thing that like somebody said it could be plastic at the center and glass at the bottom and top. My guess is it's the same material, just it's soft at the top and the bottom and texturized at the center, why this? for those who have an iPhone 4S... when you get your hand into the pocket... can you tell what side is each one, like you could do with the iPhone 3GS an all the older models? because these where different from each side, so just by touching it you could knew what side is the front, but with the 4 and 4S - I've got the last one - ... It's hard to tell! you have to touch the menu button to know it, or wait to take it out of the pocket and see the phone to know it. And precisely when I was looking for a screen protector I found one that had two parts: one for the front and one for the rear. Of course: the front part is totally flat, but the rear cover... ¡is translucent but texturized! And it turned out to be an excellent tool for me to just by touching the phone know what side is the front! My guess is that this is the reason for the appearance of the rear we see in this part.

Now, for the headphone minijack... has anybody considered that this characteristic: to have it on the bottom is typical from the iPod Touch??... What if this we've been thinking is the iPhone's update, but in fact is the new iPod Touch?? After all it's been much more time since the last update for the iPod Touch. And yes, this may probably be the appearance of the new iPhone 5, but may be the iPod Touch will come to light on this days with this new design and new screen size and that's the part we see here, and the iPhone will come with the same kind of case but in a few more weeks or months!

That's my guess...

Dangerous Theory
Jun 7, 2012, 03:36 AM
I dont know how any of you believe this video. What these people did was smart on their end. Notice how they advertise there company etradesupply. There company makes parts it's easy for them to make a fake iPhone part and it's worth the trouble cause they have millions of people looking at that video advertising their company. Where would this guy randomly stumble upon an iPhone part. He plays clueless like he doesn't know what it is, but the question is where did he get it. Obviously If he had the connects to get the part you'd think his connect would tell him what it is. This is 100% fake and you all are falling right into it. The evidence is all right there.

Haha yes, that's clever thinking. I did wonder why there was a huge obnoxious logo constantly in our view.

SockRolid
Jun 7, 2012, 03:36 AM
Cool textured black finish. Reminds me of a quote:

"I love classic 23rd century design. Black finish, silver highlights..."
- LCDR Jadzia Dax, while handling a Kirk-era tricorder
(Terry Farrell, "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine," season 5 episode 6: "Trials and Tribble-ations")

ann713
Jun 7, 2012, 03:37 AM
Not sure how I feel about the back, but perhaps it makes for a better grip.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrcepef2Sj1qdzjpy.jpg

GoGa
Jun 7, 2012, 03:38 AM
I really didn't like it in the photos, but after seeing the video I actually quite like it.

NicP
Jun 7, 2012, 03:39 AM
Having the headphone jack on the bottom could be a way to reduce the size of the new dock connector. The line out and simple control (ie play pause etc) could be done through the headphone jack (and in a dock these could still plug in) This would cut out a few pins from the new dock connector.

Not sure if this is a factor in their design, a lot of dock connector pins aren't used anymore anyway eg FireWire and can be removed.

qwerter
Jun 7, 2012, 03:39 AM
for those who have an iPhone 4S... when you get your hand into the pocket... can you tell what side is each one, like you could do with the iPhone 3GS an all the older models? because these where different from each side, so just by touching it you could knew what side is the front, but with the 4 and 4S - I've got the last one - ... It's hard to tell!

Awesome point.

What if this we've been thinking is the iPhone's update, but in fact is the new iPod Touch??

It has a SIM tray, so it's almost certainly the iPhone, not the Touch.

kre62
Jun 7, 2012, 03:40 AM
This makes me happy that my 2 year contract always falls on a new design i began with a 3G than the iPhone 4 now I look forward to the new design.

Yeah, because the internals of the phone arent what matters. It's the design. Also, stickers on your car add 50hp per sticker.

Apple loves customers like you.

beowulf70
Jun 7, 2012, 03:40 AM
I'm sure hoping that back side helps reception, because it's fugly...

Trhodezy
Jun 7, 2012, 03:41 AM
I still think these are controlled leaks...

japasneezemonk
Is it me or does the guy in the video have small hands? He made the iphone 4 look huge.

ghost187
Is it possible that the backplate new iPhone is similar to the PS Vita. I've always dreamed using a back touch screen for a mobile OS. It would instantly kill all other mobile gaming platforms like 3ds vita or any smartphone. Think about it we need bigger screens because our thumb cover half the screen, if you use a touch back panel, we would not obstruct our view.

Shearwater
Jun 7, 2012, 03:42 AM
This thread should be called...'More reasons to buy a Samsung Galaxy S3'...:)

mrples
Jun 7, 2012, 03:42 AM
The thing that puzzles me, is the color. I cannot believe that Apple would go for PVD coating or even anodizing. Though PVD lasts longer, it still wears off. There is a reason why all metal parts in Apple products have their natural color: resistance to scratching and general abrasion. Thus, either this is a fake, or Apple pulled it off somehow, which would mean that we'll also see black Macbooks. I doubt it, though...

miniroll32
Jun 7, 2012, 03:44 AM
The aluminium band across the middle of the rear is just far too noisy and too busy for a minimalist design.

That made absolutely no sense.

camsoft
Jun 7, 2012, 03:44 AM

It's to allow the top and bottom antennas to be free of interference. Apple have did the same on the original iPhone and the 3G/4G iPad.

Peace
Jun 7, 2012, 03:46 AM
FAKE obviously.

TOTAL FAKE

Don't know about you but I tend to naturally put my iPhone in my pocket top side first so when I take it out I am looking at it right side up facing me. And I set it down on my desk with the bottom facing me making it easier to plug in the headphone.

With the headphone jack on the bottom it fits out of the pocket better. No tangling of the headphone cable because it comes straight out of the pocket.

This is logical engineering.

But that doesn't make it real or authentic.

The band around the back of the phone could be part of the antenna structure or maybe even the fabled liquid metal.

No more glass on the back to break. It also makes it lighter.

Trhodezy
Is it possible that the backplate new iPhone is similar to the PS Vita. I've always dreamed using a back touch screen for a mobile OS. It would instantly kill all other mobile gaming platforms like 3ds vita or any smartphone. Think about it we need bigger screens because our thumb cover half the screen, if you use a touch back panel, we would not obstruct our view.

Yes, that sounds viable however bear in mind that it would most likely be thicker due to what is needed for it work, however Apple has proved myself & design wrong on several occasions...

The thing that puzzles me, is the color. I cannot believe that Apple would go for PVD coating or even anodizing. Though PVD lasts longer, it still wears off. There is a reason why all metal parts in Apple products have their natural color: resistance to scratching and general abrasion. Thus, either this is a fake, or Apple pulled it off somehow, which would mean that we'll also see black Macbooks. I doubt it, though...

I assumed that if that is what the standard Prototype colours are, I think when it comes to mass production you will have a choice of colours.

Oscartapia
Put your phone in your hand like you would normally use it. Then without manipulating the position of the phone, put it in your pants pocket.

Voila: your phone is now upside-down. The jack on the bottom makes perfect sense.

Well... I usually turn the phone while I'm moving my hand to the pocket, so when I push the phone into the pocket I hit the lock button at the same time, and the top of the pohe is the one that points to the entrance of the pocket... So in fact I DO am used to the minijack port on the top... Besides.. have you considered that the headphone jack on the bottom is the standard for the iPod Touch? My guess is that yes: this is the new design for the iPhone... but for the iPod touch too, and this part is for the last one, that could even come to market before the iPhone, that's why we see this part, 'cause the iPod Touch has not been updated for a much longer time, and maybe the iPhone 5 will have the same new case, but with the headphone jack at the top, as always, and it will come to light a few more weeks or even months later.

miniroll32
Jun 7, 2012, 03:50 AM
Is it possible that the backplate new iPhone is similar to the PS Vita. I've always dreamed using a back touch screen for a mobile OS.

The phone does not get thinner when you add more features like this.

olowott
SLIM is a plus
BIG is a plus
BACK Cover is +/- Feeling

FAKE +/- Feeling too with loads of +
esp for the BACK Cover

WatchTheThrone
Reminds me of when the iPhone 4 was found and people thought it was the end of the world!!
"oh my what an ugly design"
"and the downfall of apple begins"
"I'm not buying that ugly thing I'm getting a Samsung"

Then apple announced and released it and people were lining up to buy it praising its design for being unique!! Same for the 4S which sold like crazy with "the same design" people on here complained about.

I personally like it and I currently have a 4S. It's different than what everybody else is doing with the metal back (liquidmetal hopefully) and I like the 2 tone reminds me of the original iPhone.

We should track some of these complainers and watch them post in October saying "got my shipping confirmation already ooo yaaaa".

WTT

Oscartapia
Awesome point.

It has a SIM tray, so it's almost certainly the iPhone, not the Touch.

Yes, it has a SIM tray, but... What if the new iPod touch will have, as the iPad, G3 capabilities??

kirky29
Jun 7, 2012, 03:53 AM
Looks much nicer than the pictures... (:

Oscartapia
Jun 7, 2012, 03:55 AM
That made absolutely no sense.

It's actually functional. On the iPhone 4 and 4S, just by touching it inside your pocket, and unless you touch the home button, you can't tell what side is front... with a texturized finish at the back... now you will be able to know it just by touching it! In fact that's how I can know it with my phone, because the screen protector I found for it had two parts: one for the front of course totally flat and translucent, and the one for the back: same material, translucent BUT texturized... so just by putting my fingers on the phone, without seeing it I know what side is front!!

I guess that's the reason for the texturized finish on this case.

Thex1138
Jun 7, 2012, 03:57 AM
I mean... I love it... Hmmm upgrades!

usptact
Jun 7, 2012, 03:59 AM
Man, Apple is leaking all those designs just to harvest reaction of people.

qwerter
Jun 7, 2012, 03:59 AM
Yes, it has a SIM tray, but... What if the new iPod touch will have, as the iPad, G3 capabilities??

Then it would be...an iPhone? :confused:

Also, the current Touches are far slimmer than what we're seeing here.

twochoicestom
Jun 7, 2012, 04:05 AM
Reminds me of when the iPhone 4 was found and people thought it was the end of the world!!
"oh my what an ugly design"
"and the downfall of apple begins"
"I'm not buying that ugly thing I'm getting a Samsung"

Then apple announced and released it and people were lining up to buy it praising its design for being unique!! Same for the 4S which sold like crazy with "the same design" people on here complained about.

I personally like it and I currently have a 4S. It's different than what everybody else is doing with the metal back (liquidmetal hopefully) and I like the 2 tone reminds me of the original iPhone.

We should track some of these complainers and watch them post in October saying "got my shipping confirmation already ooo yaaaa".

WTT

1000% This.

It's unbelievable the amount of idiots on this board.

Oscartapia
Jun 7, 2012, 04:07 AM
Then it would be...an iPhone? :confused:

Also, the current Touches are far slimmer than what we're seeing here.

The iPad has G3 capabilities.. but you can't use it like a phone, it's not an iPhone. These G3 capabilities are there so you can have more options to connect wirelessly, not just by WI-FI. Yes, the iPod touch could become more like the iPhone... but not totally. Just like the iPad.

for the slimmer factor.. Yes, they use to be very slim, but they have the problem they can't get a better camera because of that, so maybe they will get it a little less slim, but it will be able to use better cameras, and yes, the capacity to use G3-4 connection.

arbourable
Jun 7, 2012, 04:08 AM
The larger form factor would give more room for larger, more power hungry 4G chips and additional battery.

Longer display (16:9?) would make the output to Apple TV look more native, rather than the black bar down each side as we see now.

Artey
Jun 7, 2012, 04:09 AM
the heaphone jack on the bottom makes more sense anyway so the cable isn't in the way in portrait.

tech4all
Jun 7, 2012, 04:10 AM
1000% This.

And we have one more with you. :rolleyes:

japasneezemonk
Jun 7, 2012, 04:11 AM
The iPad has G3 capabilities

There seems to be some confusion, it's not G3 it's 3G.

Feed Me
Jun 7, 2012, 04:16 AM

Oh it probably was made by Apple, since there's so many of them floating around. But this is most certainly not the back plate of the next iPhone. Make a note and get back to me this October. Like I said: you'll see. :cool:

vincebio
Jun 7, 2012, 04:18 AM

yeah...they said the same things about the original iPhone.

Also, you obviously dont know anything about Apple if you think they wont change the 30pin dock connector..:rolleyes:

Does Floppy, Firewire400, Magsafe or Expresscard mean anything to you?

Anki
Jun 7, 2012, 04:19 AM
I just need it to be wider too. :(

Dangerous Theory
Jun 7, 2012, 04:23 AM
1000% This.

Right, we're idiots for disliking a design that's even worse than the already growing-old one after two years...

Not that I believe this is one is legitimate

JadedBen
Jun 7, 2012, 04:25 AM
I just need it to be wider too. :(

That's what she said..

/end cliché..

Ah, the good ol' phrase "That's so un-Apple like..", I'm trying to remember how many times I heard on these forums "That's so un-Apple like.." when the leaks on the 4 came out with those seams/ aerials, and look what we got.. for 2 years..

Will be hard giving up my faithful i4 after 2 and a bit years (by the time the new one comes out) but I'm sure whatever Apple release, it'll be worth the upgrade and I'm looking forward to it :):apple:

princigalli
Jun 7, 2012, 04:26 AM
I was hoping for some rounded edges. Unfortunately not. Boring for me.

UK-MacAddict
Jun 7, 2012, 04:26 AM
When I first saw the pictures of this I was hating the longer phone but in the video it doesn't look that bad :)

As for the two tone back it will not be a big surprise to anyone if they bought the original iPhone back in 2007. It had an aluminium back with black plastic bottom similar to what you see here. It's for better reception.

Only Apple know how to stir up this much excitement :p I'm psyched about all the new macs coming out next week and can't wait to upgrade my iPhone 4. I have bought every iPhone ever released except the 4S because the difference in performance was so minute between that and the 4. But this new phone if it's real looks awesome :)

IphoneNoob3g
Jun 7, 2012, 04:28 AM
Gotta love it ! No other phone out there get all the commotion IPhones do = ) people go crazy with rumors ! Specially like this one ...

MacDarcy
Jun 7, 2012, 04:31 AM
I think this is real. And if so, I love EVERYTHING about the new design. I love the two tone metal back. Much better than glass in my opinion. I think this will look sweet in the white too. I also think the headphone on the bottom left is AWESOME. Perfect for holding or putting into your pocket without having to flip it around. I like that very much. I also like that its longer but the same width, which makes it comfortable for holding in one hand(unlike the galaxy). The larger speakers are cool and so is the smaller dock connector. Lastly, i dig the smaller sim card slot which may indicate Apple will use the newly approved nano sim standard it developed.

All pluses in my opinion. Apple scores! This design was one of Steve Jobs last projects he oversaw...and looks like he hit it out of the park.

Nice going Steve. :-)

MacDownunder
Jun 7, 2012, 04:32 AM
Chill out everyone - fake or not, only one company knows whats real or not - thats Apple. They are smart enough to know theta the next iPhone will need to be appealing in order to keep the steam roller going. It may appear at WWDC or it might not.

Lets not forget the fundamental purpose or a cell/mobile phone is.... to be a phone, yep all that other stuff is great but get your heads out of the screen size and look around, theres a whole wide world (real and touchable and stuff) that is there.

Look I love my "ageing" 3GS and am waiting to see what happens, will I upgrade who knows, the 3GS does everything I need it to right now - is it as fast as 4 or 4S - not even close - battery life is not great either but I don't necessarily need to spend $5, $6 or $7 hundred on a new device that'll just do everything my current phone does, but just do it faster.

Get a life people, tech is great, but really life is far more fun....

JasperJanssen
Jun 7, 2012, 04:34 AM

All aluminum Apple products are anodized, and quite a few of them are colored as well. Think iPods[1]. The unibody macs are all anodized, even if it's clear anodization.

No black unibodies is an esthetic/supplyline choice, not a technical limitation.

[1] And the iPods are much more in a harsh environment re scratching than even iPod Touches.

Sora
Jun 7, 2012, 04:34 AM
Has anyone noticed that more has been leaked about the iPhone 5 than the iPhone 4/4s prior to "bar-gate"?
It's quite plausible that Apple has leaked all these components. Unless another "bar-gate" iPhone 5 gets left behind these rumors are just that - rumors.

Bako-MacAddict
Jun 7, 2012, 04:38 AM
I think this is real. And if so, I love EVERYTHING about the new design. I love the two tone metal back. Much better than glass in my opinion. I think this will look sweet in the white too. I also think the headphone on the bottom left is AWESOME. Perfect for holding or putting into your pocket without having to flip it around. I like that very much. I also like that its longer but the same width, which makes it comfortable for holding in one hand(unlike the galaxy). The larger speakers are cool and so is the smaller dock connector. Lastly, i dig the smaller sim card slot which may indicate Apple will use the newly approved nano sim standard it developed.

All pluses in my opinion. Apple scores! This design was one of Steve Jobs last projects he oversaw...and looks like he hit it out of the park.

Nice going Steve. :-)

I agree !

Cougarcat
Jun 7, 2012, 04:39 AM
All-glass = fragile

Ordinarily I'd be

Except, you need strength at the edges, where the corners are. That's where it's most likely to take an impact. I don't think having aluminum in the middle will help all that much.

Back looks tacky.

No, it's still a proprietary port.

iamdavekennedy
Jun 7, 2012, 04:40 AM
I'm starting to think the reason for having a solid backplate could also be to do with the amount of money 3rd party suppliers are making for replacement and 'boutique' backplates for the 4/4S. It doesn't benefit Apple and as nice as some of them can be, I'm sure Apple, like any company, see it as a compromise of their design.

The wooden ones in particular are quite common over here especially the monolith (http://madebymonolith.com/) ones but one of the issues they bring about is that there is no diffuser over the flash, this can allow a lot of dust/grit to get into the phones workings and due to the ease of replacement, I'm sure a fair amount of phones show up for repair in the Apple Store that are 'mysteriously' full of dust!

JasperJanssen
Jun 7, 2012, 04:40 AM
The iPad has G3 capabilities.. but you can't use it like a phone, it's not an iPhone. These G3 capabilities are there so you can have more options to connect wirelessly, not just by WI-FI. Yes, the iPod touch could become more like the iPhone... but not totally. Just like the iPad.

for the slimmer factor.. Yes, they use to be very slim, but they have the problem they can't get a better camera because of that, so maybe they will get it a little less slim, but it will be able to use better cameras, and yes, the capacity to use G3-4 connection.

Yeah, but no.

Assuming current pricing structure, I'd be mighty tempted to go for a 3G iPod Touch in combo with a $10 mobile phone, instead of an iPhone. And that is why the iPT won't get 3G. If it has, the difference with an iPhone is too small, and the margins on iPTs are much smaller.

Basically, the iPod Touch is the WiFi-only iPhone, always has been.

APlotdevice
Jun 7, 2012, 04:43 AM
yeah...they said the same things about the original iPhone.

Also, you obviously dont know anything about Apple if you think they wont change the 30pin dock connector..:rolleyes:

Does Floppy, Firewire400, Magsafe or Expresscard mean anything to you?

Floppies were already becoming obsolete before Apple ditched them. The rest weren't nearly as ubiquitous. I mean think of all the Stereo equipment with dock connectors, as well as all the accessories that continue to be produced for the dock. All of it would be rendered incompatible.

Mattsasa
Jun 7, 2012, 04:43 AM
This is undeniably real.... I am still just shocked and disapointed that apple is changing the resolution and even the aspect ratio!! Why?!! Why purposely fragment your OS. Also, I am disapointed that they are keeping the near same design as 2 years ago. With all that said, come June 11th I will absolutely love this phone and think its perfect in every way and I'll buy it ASAP

kiwiboi87
Jun 7, 2012, 04:45 AM
the new iPhone won't use the nano sim,
just saying

theres not enough time to get all the phone networks worldwide on board,
maybe next year

henriknorem
Jun 7, 2012, 04:52 AM
I think the dual tone back may be because the aluminium is a lid? :eek: Don't know if my theory is destroyed by the looks of the inside..

Seems unlikely because it is Apple, but you never know.

iMikeT
Jun 7, 2012, 04:53 AM
If this is real, it will be the iPhone that gets me off AT&T.

Josh M
Jun 7, 2012, 04:57 AM
its impressive for sure but i was hoping for a revolutionary device( with transparent hardware and laser keyboard:D) disappointed but lets hope for the best..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

That truly sounds horrible, not revolutionary.

Oscartapia
Jun 7, 2012, 04:58 AM
There seems to be some confusion, it's not G3 it's 3G.

That's right, I wrote it wrong, I mean 3G and 4G! :P

tekno
Jun 7, 2012, 04:58 AM
Chill out everyone - fake or not, only one company knows whats real or not - thats Apple. They are smart enough to know theta the next iPhone will need to be appealing in order to keep the steam roller going. It may appear at WWDC or it might not.

Get a life people, tech is great, but really life is far more fun....

This site revolves around rumour and speculation. If people didn't get excited about leaks, there'd be no Macrumors.com

seamuskrat
Jun 7, 2012, 05:00 AM
What concerns me most is the mini dock connector.

I own many iOS and iPod products. When they changed from one charging schema to another it cost me a lot of money is slowly upgrading music/clock docks, etc. and ca kits.

Now it seems to be a possibility as well. I have many charging adaptors, music docks, car connections and even accessories like the Withings BP kit and others that utilize the full size dock connector.

I fear Apple will not make at all or fail to include an adaptor for existing dock connections. This is huge.

Part of the awesomeness of the Apple ecosystem is that all my devices can share iCloud, share apps, share music, and share chargers, ports and accessories. I do not want to have to carry 2 chargers in my car for two different generation devices.

Anyone else have concerns that the dock connector we have will vanish and be replaced by something smaller?

Another concern is that Apple will do something I feel is stupid like make it Thunderbolt. While great for those with newer Macs, it is a major disadvantage for the major markets as a whole.

BrettArchibald
Jun 7, 2012, 05:01 AM
This is undeniably real.... I am still just shocked and disapointed that apple is changing the resolution and even the aspect ratio!! Why?!! Why purposely fragment your OS. Also, I am disapointed that they are keeping the near same design as 2 years ago. With all that said, come June 11th I will absolutely love this phone and think its perfect in every way and I'll buy it ASAP

THIS is the biggest issue I have with the rumoured taller screen - not the change in resolution, but rather the change in the aspect ratio.
As an iPhone app/game designer, this means a lot of work, changing all the stuff I've already worked on to be compatible with the new aspect ratio! :(

mrxak
Jun 7, 2012, 05:01 AM
I still maintain that this sort of thing is quite possible to be a rejected prototype, or a hoax to get page hits. I'll remind you of all the iPhone 5 design changes "leaked" last year. People were manufacturing things back then to to show off the leaked design or sell accessories come release day. In case you forgot, the iPhone 5 ("4S") used pretty much the same design as the 4, and the "iPhone 5" everyone was posting pictures of was complete BS.

Looking into ETrade Supply, who they are and what they do, I'm convinced this isn't a real part from Apple. While it's possible for Apple to be working on something with this design, and for designs or prototypes to walk out of Apple facilities, it's also quite possible for a company like ETrade Supply to manufacture this part themselves from design rumors on the web. These guys build parts. They have all the equipment to do so.

If they were a part manufacturer for the iPhone 6, they would be in breach of so many NDAs to post this video, so obviously from their company. Apple lawyer-commandos would be parachuting onto their roof and the video would be taken offline within minutes of it going up. You'd better believe somebody's job at Apple is to watch their part manufacturers for leaks, something this obvious would not be allowed to exist.

So, it seems to me that ETrade Supply could not only build this thing themselves, but they are also unlikely going off of insider knowledge. So, did they build it themselves, or did somebody hand it to them? The only possible way they could get their hands on this if it's legitimate (built by somebody else), it was built by a competitor. Why would a competitor give them the part? If it's not legitimate, ETrade Supply is perfectly capable of manufacturing this part themselves. I think the latter possibility is more likely.

With ETrade Supply plastered all over the video, I can only think this video is solely posted to get attention to their company. In fact, this is a perfect advertisement to other companies, showing off what they can do. Just look, they were able to take alleged blueprints online and turn it into a physical part in just a few days.

So again, it's quite possible the iPhone 6 will look like this, and it's quite possible Apple has experimented with this design and rejected it. What I find unbelievable, however, is this is a genuine part from one of Apple's suppliers, based on the source of this particular video. Considering the history of iPhone 5 "leaks", I think this is just as likely to be completely fake as it is a real design for the iPhone 6, but the part in this video isn't very likely genuine.

HimOffTheTelly
Jun 7, 2012, 05:03 AM
I think this is going to be a beautiful piece of kit. I'd rather a continuation or evolution of the iconic iPhone 4 design than something that might end up looking more like an iPod Touch or, worse, an Android. And the gun metal black aluminium finish around the edges? This is going to be one sleek beast and still instantly recognisable as an iPhone rather than an iPhone-clone. I can't imagine this looking anything other than gorgeous when finished, and it'll sell absolute shedloads. And I wonder what of another rumour that seemed to suggest there might be other colour options than white and black? A dark red one might be cool ;-)

vvebsta
Jun 7, 2012, 05:05 AM
Imagine for a moment that the iphone IOS starts merging more with the iPad version. Now imagine (just for the sake of argument) that they do away with the home button. Now you can rotate it to any orientation and there is no "bottom" or "top" and the headphone jack placement suddenly DOESNT MATTER.

This is a fools dream probably, but I'm still hoping and praying they ditch the home button for a touch sensor of some kind. PLEASE APPLE!! :D

Also I don't think that the back is two toned, I think it just looks two toned because part is glossy and part is matte.

Either way, I'll be in line for this one :)

AkeGust
Jun 7, 2012, 05:06 AM

To me it neither looks nor sounds "unibody"

x-evil-x
Jun 7, 2012, 05:06 AM
im surprised nobody has noticed this yet. you know how you take off the back cover(glass) on the 4 and 4s? you have to take out the screws on the bottom of the phone.
Why does the new part have these screw holes if the back is not removable. Thats why i think this is fake.

Anki
Jun 7, 2012, 05:07 AM
That's what she said..

/end cliché..

Ah, the good ol' phrase "That's so un-Apple like..", I'm trying to remember how many times I heard on these forums "That's so un-Apple like.." when the leaks on the 4 came out with those seams/ aerials, and look what we got.. for 2 years..

Will be hard giving up my faithful i4 after 2 and a bit years (by the time the new one comes out) but I'm sure whatever Apple release, it'll be worth the upgrade and I'm looking forward to it :):apple:

Cheeky. ;)

So... Could the weirdness of the backplate be a sign that we're getting inductive charging this time around?

The "un-Apple like" (:D)backplate in combination with the removal of the big dock would make it a small possibility? No?

Rot'nApple
Jun 7, 2012, 05:07 AM

Just saying...

That is too funny...

Your ending, "just saying" was officially placed on Greg Gutfield's (of the TV show, 'The Five') banned words of the day, during yesterdays show. :D
/
/
/

vvebsta
Jun 7, 2012, 05:12 AM
THIS is the biggest issue I have with the rumoured taller screen - not the change in resolution, but rather the change in the aspect ratio.
As an iPhone app/game designer, this means a lot of work, changing all the stuff I've already worked on to be compatible with the new aspect ratio! :(

This could be a potential positive for allot of games though. The game could remain the same size and you could now pull the controls out of the frame so your thumbs don't cover up the game itself. That seems like it could be a plus for allot of thumbstick based games.

antic
Jun 7, 2012, 05:15 AM
To me it neither looks nor sounds "unibody"

I agree. It sounds like plastic when he places it on the table. Why no close up shots of the internal section.

vvebsta
Jun 7, 2012, 05:16 AM
im surprised nobody has noticed this yet. you know how you take off the back cover(glass) on the 4 and 4s? you have to take out the screws on the bottom of the phone.
Why does the new part have these screw holes if the back is not removable. Thats why i think this is fake.

Maybe these screws now hold the screen and the guts in place? My gut tells me a unibody like this would make taking apart your iphone much more simple, but its Apple who knows.

Sedrick
Jun 7, 2012, 05:16 AM
This could be a potential positive for allot of games though. The game could remain the same size and you could now pull the controls out of the frame so your thumbs don't cover up the game itself. That seems like it could be a plus for allot of thumbstick based games.

I wouldn't get too excited. The screen difference split in half would be about 3/16" of an inch each side. Not enough for any kind of finger controls to be off screen.

Re-post from the other thread:

The video of that thing looks legit.
So, some observances:

The inside of that back plate has a circuit ribbon on it.
The phone will be thinner = to the width the old glass back stuck out (woot, no glass back!)
Back panel is actually part of the whole milled frame with (probably) plastic panels top and bottom for antennas.
Anodized dark green or light black (depending on the lights in the guys room I suppose) goes from the sides to the back. Very classy and much better than the raw metal of the iPhone 4.
That whole thing looks like the best quality part I've ever seen. I'll assume it's from Apple and it's for the next iPhone. No way a third rate company could turn out that quality and detail for a hoax.

Like others have said, it's starting to grow on me.

samsandy
Jun 7, 2012, 05:18 AM
They won't change the 30 pin connector to something else because it basically ruins a whole ecosystem of products and many people would hate apple.

x-evil-x
Jun 7, 2012, 05:20 AM
Maybe these screws now hold the screen and the guts in place? My gut tells me a unibody like this would make taking apart your iphone much more simple, but its Apple who knows.

apple never had a problem getting apart the 3g and 3gs screens with non removable back. I don't think those screws would hold the front screen. I have no idea why they are there.

macandiPhone
Jun 7, 2012, 05:20 AM
You've got to be joking. It is so odd to provide headphone jack at the bottom. I would rather support the idea for a cordless headphone.

Also lets gather some of the rumours about iPhone 5:
1. Liquid metal back-cover.
2. 4-inch display.
3. iOS 6 integration.
4. Nano-SIM card tray for supporting nano SIMs.

How many of them hold good for this video:
1. Good.
2. Not known.
3. Wait and watch.
4. Good.

50% success rate.

tigertazz
Jun 7, 2012, 05:22 AM
I'm a little surprised about the big aluminium / metal back especially after the New iPad overheating fiasco. If it is running the same or upgraded processer wont it produce ALOT of heat? I know that the metal will be used as the heat sink of sorts but that caused the issue on the iPad (didn't it?)

Don't get me wrong a metal phone would be the mutts nutts but the heat dissapation wont be as good on a smaller body.

Literally the iPhone 5 / new iPhone / iPhone 4ss / iPhone 6 / whatever will be SMOKIN HOT!! :D

Josh M
Jun 7, 2012, 05:23 AM

I own many iOS and iPod products. When they changed from one charging schema to another it cost me a lot of money is slowly upgrading music/clock docks, etc. and ca kits.

Now it seems to be a possibility as well. I have many charging adaptors, music docks, car connections and even accessories like the Withings BP kit and others that utilize the full size dock connector.

I fear Apple will not make at all or fail to include an adaptor for existing dock connections. This is huge.

Part of the awesomeness of the Apple ecosystem is that all my devices can share iCloud, share apps, share music, and share chargers, ports and accessories. I do not want to have to carry 2 chargers in my car for two different generation devices.

Anyone else have concerns that the dock connector we have will vanish and be replaced by something smaller?

Another concern is that Apple will do something I feel is stupid like make it Thunderbolt. While great for those with newer Macs, it is a major disadvantage for the major markets as a whole.

Please learn that tech changes and improves. Don't worry, there will be 100 different adaptors to make sure you can keep your one charger and USB cable.

1town
Jun 7, 2012, 05:23 AM

To hold all the other stuff that seems to be embedded in the new backplate i guess..

Michaelgtrusa
Jun 7, 2012, 05:27 AM
Looks good to me.

Minority_taxi
Jun 7, 2012, 05:30 AM
the new iPhone won't use the nano sim,
just saying

theres not enough time to get all the phone networks worldwide on board,
maybe next year

The new sim is backwards compatible....that just happened.

Datalinks
Jun 7, 2012, 05:32 AM
This design would allow for a removable battery...but whom am I kidding.:cool:

Minority_taxi
Jun 7, 2012, 05:33 AM

It has to change some day. How long do you think they can keep their big ass connector for? its time for the change. There will be adapters from big to small, just like the old nokia days.

Dangerous Theory
Jun 7, 2012, 05:33 AM
I still maintain that this sort of thing is quite possible to be a rejected prototype, or a hoax to get page hits. I'll remind you of all the iPhone 5 design changes "leaked" last year. People were manufacturing things back then to to show off the leaked design or sell accessories come release day. In case you forgot, the iPhone 5 ("4S") used pretty much the same design as the 4, and the "iPhone 5" everyone was posting pictures of was complete BS.

Looking into ETrade Supply, who they are and what they do, I'm convinced this isn't a real part from Apple. While it's possible for Apple to be working on something with this design, and for designs or prototypes to walk out of Apple facilities, it's also quite possible for a company like ETrade Supply to manufacture this part themselves from design rumors on the web. These guys build parts. They have all the equipment to do so.

If they were a part manufacturer for the iPhone 6, they would be in breach of so many NDAs to post this video, so obviously from their company. Apple lawyer-commandos would be parachuting onto their roof and the video would be taken offline within minutes of it going up. You'd better believe somebody's job at Apple is to watch their part manufacturers for leaks, something this obvious would not be allowed to exist.

So, it seems to me that ETrade Supply could not only build this thing themselves, but they are also unlikely going off of insider knowledge. So, did they build it themselves, or did somebody hand it to them? The only possible way they could get their hands on this if it's legitimate (built by somebody else), it was built by a competitor. Why would a competitor give them the part? If it's not legitimate, ETrade Supply is perfectly capable of manufacturing this part themselves. I think the latter possibility is more likely.

With ETrade Supply plastered all over the video, I can only think this video is solely posted to get attention to their company. In fact, this is a perfect advertisement to other companies, showing off what they can do. Just look, they were able to take alleged blueprints online and turn it into a physical part in just a few days.

So again, it's quite possible the iPhone 6 will look like this, and it's quite possible Apple has experimented with this design and rejected it. What I find unbelievable, however, is this is a genuine part from one of Apple's suppliers, based on the source of this particular video. Considering the history of iPhone 5 "leaks", I think this is just as likely to be completely fake as it is a real design for the iPhone 6, but the part in this video isn't very likely genuine.

Most sensible post in this entire thread. I would put money on it not being the design, had I got the money to do so. I mean seriously, just take a few moments to assess what you're seeing people. A lame rehash of the two year running design? Yeah right. Apple have the greatest market capital for a reason.

Minority_taxi
Jun 7, 2012, 05:35 AM
You've got to be joking. It is so odd to provide headphone jack at the bottom. I would rather support the idea for a cordless headphone.

Also lets gather some of the rumours about iPhone 5:
1. Liquid metal back-cover.
2. 4-inch display.
3. iOS 6 integration.
4. Nano-SIM card tray for supporting nano SIMs.

How many of them hold good for this video:
1. Good.
2. Not known.
3. Wait and watch.
4. Good.

50% success rate.

headphone at base makes sense. So many people put phone in pocket with headphone out and pick up at base. I prefer it, its much nicer. Plus without the headphone plugged in, the spill of sound from the left speaker can come out of that hole.

x-evil-x
Jun 7, 2012, 05:36 AM
To hold all the other stuff that seems to be embedded in the new backplate i guess..

i still don't see this holding something in the phone. Those screws were always used to get the device apart...

graycrow
Jun 7, 2012, 05:38 AM
The main problem of this thing is that this is not only just a back panel but a whole phone case, and that case looks and sounds like cheap tin can. Someone will say that it will be better when it will be filled with another components, but 4/4s frame IS more solid even stripped!

Minority_taxi
Jun 7, 2012, 05:39 AM

What? you serious? How else are you going to repair the phone? cause the back is removable from the front!

apolloa
I much prefer the back design of this chassis. I have always thought the bling bling sharp silver iPhone name and Apple logo on the back is over the top. Making it more subtle is great and stops prying eyes of thieves!

As for the size it doesn't look that much bugger in the video, maybe 8mm?

LukeAdonis
While it looks better than the pictures. It's still a step backwards design wise.

Also... It just says iPhone on the back. No FCC blah blah. And I know some people say it's a prototype or test model, but why would apple print the iPhone logo on the back if it's just a test? Wouldn't that just be giving it away?

It doesn't make sense if you look at Apple's design. For apple to return all the way to the original iphone two tone back would be weird.

Maybe the back isn't painted yet. The two tone style... just feels wrong. This isn't 2007.

Minority_taxi
Jun 7, 2012, 05:40 AM
The main problem of this thing is that this is not only just a back panel but a whole phone case, and that case looks and sounds like cheap tin can. Someone will say that it will be better when it will be filled with another components, but 4/4s frame IS more solid even stripped!

Surely lighter is better? Many people going for Cfibre designs these days, so I'm thinking a thinner lighter metal is great for this phone, and you will find that it will be just as tough. Don't judge a metal by its thinness! :)

gpsouza
Jun 7, 2012, 05:42 AM
Actually I like it a lot.

omenatarhuri
Jun 7, 2012, 05:45 AM
It does... still not sure about the bi-tone back.

iMolle
I'm still not sure what should i say...It has to "grow" on me first...

kiwiboi87
The new sim is backwards compatible....that just happened.

the new nano sim standard was only decide on last week, week before.
it takes a bit of work for carriers to get the sims made, and to make sure they are working alright.

when the iPhone 4 came out here in NZ, only one carrier had the micro sim. it took the other 2 months to catch up,

i don't see the nano sim coming in this phone at all, its too soon

the micro sim can fit into the slot of that phone, they just need to tweak the current tray

Minority_taxi
Jun 7, 2012, 05:47 AM
DONT BE FOOLED! This is a stunt by SAMSUNG to make you dislike the iPhone 5 and buy the S III! DONT BE FOOLED!

----------

Clearly a prototype.

x-evil-x
Jun 7, 2012, 05:47 AM
What? you serious? How else are you going to repair the phone? cause the back is removable from the front!

So these screws hold the front glass on and that is all? usually front glass is glued to the frame.

Minority_taxi
Jun 7, 2012, 05:49 AM
the new nano sim standard was only decide on last week, week before.
it takes a bit of work for carriers to get the sims made, and to make sure they are working alright.

when the iPhone 4 came out here in NZ, only one carrier had the micro sim. it took the other 2 months to catch up,

i don't see the nano sim coming in this phone at all, its too soon

the micro sim can fit into the slot of that phone, they just need to tweak the current tray

How long do you think it takes to make a few million nano SIMS? If the iPhone is announced next week it wouldn't go on sale till October probably, so thats a few months for SIM manufacturers to basically crank out a very similar design to what is current. It is possible.

Dangerous Theory
Jun 7, 2012, 05:50 AM
So these screws hold the front glass on and that is all? usually front glass is glued to the frame.

Front glass is never glued to the main chassis. It has it's own screwed frame to secure it.

Warbrain
Jun 7, 2012, 05:50 AM
Can't wait for this to be released in the fall and for everyone to love it.

iMolle
Jun 7, 2012, 05:51 AM
Clearly a prototype.

Such a "good" prototype? I mean as we see the parts are made damn preciously, i just don't know...

shayosef
Jun 7, 2012, 05:52 AM
I like it.

BrentA1283
Jun 7, 2012, 05:54 AM
In previous rumors, there have been mention of "several" new iPhone prototypes floating around at Apple of all shapes and sizes. It is highly likely that this is not a final design if it's truly a leaked part. So for those with twisted panties, probably not a reason to start the waterworks just yet. As far as a release I'd imagine there's 0% shot they unveil this at WWDC on Monday like some have mentioned. I'd even go so far as to say you won't see iOS 6 til they launch this new iPhone. And my money says fall for both. WWDC will see all that mac hardware and mountain lion. And to the one poster who said apple needs to slow down the galaxy s3, looks like they'll probably concentrate on this before purposely leaking "fake" backing plates to Asian websites:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57448486-37/apple-wants-to-keep-samsungs-galaxy-s3-out-of-u.s/

LukeAdonis
Jun 7, 2012, 05:54 AM
[QUOTE=clarkysdonga;14975131]DONT BE FOOLED! This is a stunt by SAMSUNG to make you dislike the iPhone 5 and buy the S III! DONT BE FOOLED![COLOR="#808080"]

This is the most logical scenario.

Way more logical than a Two Tone back.

b-dogg
Jun 7, 2012, 05:55 AM
Not into it.

Looks crap. That bushed steel band just sits there doing nothing breaking up the glass.

On another note, if this were a legit part - wouldn't apple yank the video off youtube? Thought Tim Cook was "doubling down" on product secrecy? I've seen more leaks for this next gen iPhone than any other and it's not meant to be landing until October 2012

iMacx
Jun 7, 2012, 05:55 AM
I personally love the new design with the grey/black metal on the back... i just hope it is one solid piece in when they release it. they darker metal band around the side and the whole bottom assembly look really great :)

barryl85
Jun 7, 2012, 05:56 AM
Such a "good" prototype? I mean as we see the parts are made damn preciously, i just don't know...

Has to be a prototype or fake - doesn't have the text under the iPhone lettering on the back panel.

kiwiboi87
Jun 7, 2012, 05:57 AM
How long do you think it takes to make a few million nano SIMS? If the iPhone is announced next week it wouldn't go on sale till October probably, so thats a few months for SIM manufacturers to basically crank out a very similar design to what is current. It is possible.

it won't be announced next week,
apple aren't that silly or stupid to showcase a product in june and make everyone wait till October

thats not how it works,

the new iPhone won't be showing up at WWDC next week, it will be in the fall like last year.

given that this design has been in the works for the past 4+ months, and nano sims weren't even approved.
next year,

BrettArchibald
Jun 7, 2012, 05:57 AM

OK, now I know it's a fake - the font used on the word 'iPhone" is not the same font... Look at the "e".

http://www.imgfans.com.br/NR/Jul11/12/iphone4-back-ref.jpg

http://www.etradesupply.com/media/video/iPhone%205%20middle%20plate-6.jpg

CaryMacGuy
Jun 7, 2012, 05:58 AM
What are the chances that the new dock connector will support Thunderbolt?

macandiPhone
Jun 7, 2012, 05:59 AM
headphone at base makes sense. So many people put phone in pocket with headphone out and pick up at base. I prefer it, its much nicer. Plus without the headphone plugged in, the spill of sound from the left speaker can come out of that hole.

Firstly, if iPhone has to be tugged into the pocket, it can easily be done the other way so that iPhone is always upright, even in your pocket.

Secondly, your quote:
"the spill of sound from the left speaker can come out of that hole."

I really cannot understand this.:rolleyes:

x-evil-x
Jun 7, 2012, 06:00 AM
What are the chances that the new dock connector will support Thunderbolt?
definitely be a game changer if it does

inscrewtable
Jun 7, 2012, 06:01 AM
There is no way that the two tone back will be an actual release. But I am surprised that so many people are ready to accept it as possible; Job will need to be dead much longer before such ugliness could be contemplated.

Thex1138
Hey anybody wanna take a look at the inside surface on the back...

Is it an induction coil? or an antennae coil? Or NFC antennae?

I know it might appear be the aluminum cnc path... but hmmm it looks a lot like a coil... or a printed circuit... with a coating...

Any thoughts...?

In my view it's possibly an induction coil being so big... the Android phones with NFC antennae are a lot smaller at a centimeter square or so...

This may account for the smaller data port at the bottom...

:rolleyes:

terraphantm
I'm thinking this is the real deal, but is missing some kind of finishing touch. Kind of like how everyone thought he 3GS was going to have a matte finish based on the unfinished shells seen in image leaks.

monaarts
Jun 7, 2012, 06:02 AM
Looks like it's scratch-happy easy-crack plastic.
Make it all metal or do a glass back again, none of this two-tone plastic crap.

I'm pretty sure it's metal.

Rogifan
Jun 7, 2012, 06:04 AM
If this is the be phone I'll be keeping my iPhone 4S or if I do upgrade the phone will be getting a case slapped on it right away. :mad:

LukeAdonis
Jun 7, 2012, 06:05 AM
I'm thinking this is the real deal, but is missing some kind of finishing touch. Kind of like how everyone thought he 3GS was going to have a matte finish based on the unfinished shells seen in image leaks.

Hopefully it'll end up like a brick of Aluminum. Mac Mini style.

Or hopefully it's just a fake by Samsung. And the real one has a tapered glass back. And a Senseg screen. And LEAP gesture controls. And NFC.

... There I go... dreaming of things that could never be...

Rogifan

God I hope your right. This is fugly.

b-dogg
OK, now I know it's a fake - the font used on the word 'iPhone" is not the same font... Look at the "e".

Yeah, the font strikes me as the same as those dodgy Chinese knock-off i P h o n e logos on the back of fakes.

Although, it's construction is pretty advanced. Would be a hell of a lot of work to fake that. I dunno

Hope they keep the back that brushed aluminum in full.

Doubt we'll get any preview at WWDC. It's not like the original iPhone where they can preview months in advance - it would destroy existing iPhone sales.

needfx
Jun 7, 2012, 06:06 AM
dammit, I was late

JSpence
Jun 7, 2012, 06:06 AM
Just ringing in to say that I think it looks better now that I've seen the video of it. I do like the way that the iPhone backing is only visible or reflective at eye level, but from above and below, the whole backing looks like a solid back.

Also, the black rim outside along the edge is black, but in the photos it looked really shiny and cheap. Here, it looks good.

Video makes it look like a call that's had all of the windows tined a deep black, but not like a cheap gangster car. Like a black Porsche with all black tint :cool:

Yeah, I can dig it.

initialsBB
Jun 7, 2012, 06:07 AM
I didn't like the two tone back in the pictures, but it looks hell'a nice in video.

Rogifan
Jun 7, 2012, 06:08 AM
Apple has to do something to slow down the Galaxy S3. These "leaks" just don't happen. It is planned by Apple.
I'd maybe agree if they were leaking some awesome design but this makes the S3 look nice. And I never thought I'd say that.:eek:

foodog
Jun 7, 2012, 06:11 AM

I could mirror the front, where the screen takes up the same region as the matte finished back.

NicktheNorse
Jun 7, 2012, 06:12 AM
Hey anybody wanna take a look at the inside surface on the back...

Is it an induction coil? or an antennae coil? Or NFC antennae?

I know it might appear be the aluminum cnc path... but hmmm it looks a lot like a coil... or a printed circuit...

Any thoughts...?

In my view it's possibly an induction coil being so big... the Android phones with NFC antennae are a lot smaller at a centimeter square or so...

This may account for the smaller data port at the bottom...

:rolleyes:

It's just tool marks from the milling of the plate.

foodog
Jun 7, 2012, 06:14 AM
I'm pretty sure it's metal.

Agreed. If you listen to the audio it is clearly a metal part. Not sure how someone could mistake that clink sound when he puts it on the desk repeatedly.

B777Forevar
Jun 7, 2012, 06:16 AM
Only thing I don't like with the rumored new design is the head phone jack on the bottom.

zombierunner
Jun 7, 2012, 06:20 AM
Thing is no matter how the new iPhone looks, I am still going to get it. I like it for the iOS. I just dont like android and other phone OS.

I have far too much invested now in the apple ecosystem to quit.

If the new iPhone comes out June/July, that'd be great because my iPhone 4 contract expires in end of July.

Rogifan
Jun 7, 2012, 06:20 AM

And on this "leak" the lettering is two different colors - a lighter gray and a darker gray. If this is legit it has to be an early prototype or a fake design.

LukeAdonis
Jun 7, 2012, 06:21 AM
It's a bit suspicious that this eTrade Supply company would leak this...

I mean... if they made it, they broke a lot of NDAs. Apple's lawyers will own them and their grandchildren.

Could just be a demo. A "Hey look at what we can do. We can make all the iPhone bloggers and freaks believe it's real."

I mean, making iPhone like designs could be good for business. I know Samsung will be interested in contacting them.

Dangerous Theory
Jun 7, 2012, 06:22 AM
Yeah, the font strikes me as the same as those dodgy Chinese knock-off i P h o n e logos on the back of fakes.

Although, it's construction is pretty advanced. Would be a hell of a lot of work to fake that. I dunno

Hope they keep the back that brushed aluminum in full.

Doubt we'll get any preview at WWDC. It's not like the original iPhone where they can preview months in advance - it would destroy existing iPhone sales.

How convenient that the people who "leaked" the design are parts suppliers. They won't have a problem coming up with that.

Also, the ETradeSupply logo is so bloody obnoxious, with the camera almost entirely pointed at the screen which for some reason has the company logo. At one point, he even pointlessly turns on his iPhone screen and low and behold there's an ETradeSupply logo wallpaper!! :o That's not suspicious at all!

It's so obvious they are milking this fake design for promotional purposes.

jaredpetersen
Jun 7, 2012, 06:24 AM

What makes you think the new dock for this won't have a headphone jack to plug into?

omenatarhuri
Jun 7, 2012, 06:25 AM
When you put the side-by-side like that the 4S completely blows this prototype away. As an Apple shareholder I hope this is not the thing they ship. :confused:

clukas
Jun 7, 2012, 06:27 AM

Just saying...

i agree.

HORTENSE
Jun 7, 2012, 06:29 AM
A matte finish creates more surface area, where I predict it is meant to be slip resistant.

Since this is not glass, this blank can be finished off with the usual "design by Apple" verbiage via LASER ENGRAVING.

Case closed. Looking forward in seeing the front panel with... no home button?

kemo
Jun 7, 2012, 06:29 AM
Sorry Apple but this is the best you could work out after 2 years ? Come on, I hope this is just fake, if not I'm skipping this and Ill stay on 4S at least until next year..