Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

713724_larger.png

Algoriddim has released vjay their realtime video mixing app for iPad. We previewed the app earlier this week.
Similar to how djay works, vjay allows you to mix/fade between two video clips and apply real time effects to the output. Due to the heavy processing required to decode and mix two video streams, the app only works on the iPad 2 or the new iPad.

Video clips can be full music videos, such as those downloaded from the iTunes store, or they can be your own personal video clips. Audio can either be the original video audio or intermingled with songs your own music library. Both video and audio tracks can be swapped out independently at any time.
A new video shows off some of the features:

The focus of the app is on these real time performances and mixes which can be saved and shared. vjay is available for a limited time price of $9.99 and requires an iPad 2 or the new iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Algoriddim Releases vjay for iPad

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
I find it strange that Vjay is for iPad. It ought to be iPad for Vjay-- after all, that's how it works in the real world.

:D

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
after playing around with the stock video for about 5 minutes i have to say this is a must get app. i'd love to see them make a mac version. i also can't wait to see what they add to it in future updates. it is easily worth the $19.99 it will be so get it while it's $9.99. i'm having a BBQ on sunday so i'll be using my iPad and iPhone and any of my friends iPhone video to load in this. really cool. better than the djay app.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Funny, on LTE and I cannot download to ipad direct.

Any tweaks out there that will let me bypass the limit (i'm JB'd)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Great app. Unfortunate name. Vjay on the iPad. Sounds durty. Heh.

Edit: (Oops... just saw Lifeinhd above had the same thought. At least I'm not too off track).

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
after playing around with the stock video for about 5 minutes i have to say this is a must get app. i'd love to see them make a mac version. i also can't wait to see what they add to it in future updates. it is easily worth the $19.99 it will be so get it while it's $9.99. i'm having a BBQ on sunday so i'll be using my iPad and iPhone and any of my friends iPhone video to load in this. really cool. better than the djay app.

Mmm mainstream VJ app for everyone, sounds great. I am VJ myself and have been using Modul8 which is very configurable and when connected via TouchOSC on iPad,really great tool.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Well, I've played with it for a while and I doubt it's usable for me. Much too limited.

I can't seem to get the movs to simply loop. They'll play to the end and then stop or loop a tiny portion of a movie to a very limited multiple of beats, with a mere 4 being the largest.

It won't even play my own quicktime loops or pre-alha'd PNG codec movies.

There doesn't appear to be any way to automate cross-fades or effects using LFOs and the effects are pretty cheesy anyway.

I was hoping for something to connect to my V8 to augment modul8 and throw something new into the mix but this doesn't seem up to the job. It seems more geared towards DJs who want to add simple visuals to their music.

At least I won't have to buy a bigger iPad to hold my content now.

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
Just bought it and gave it a quick try with their demo videos. It is a slick piece of software for ten bucks! I'm a lighting designer who sometimes does projections for music events. I can see this app being way handy for simple gigs. I'll let professional VJs use their high end tools for bigger events, but for me, this is a great starting place!

Now I just need to get another iPad because I use my iPad as a lighting console for all my gigs not in the main venue. Luminair app is pricey and needs dedicated hardware as well, but it's fun.

paronga

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
Australia, Melbourne
ugh. I wish people would stop making the lame jokes.
we get it. you think you're funny.

but you're not. so grow up or something.
it's called vjay for a reason. it's analogous to djay.
and it's a real progression. and it's amazing when you see a good one.

so the non creative types, please keep it down :)

I'm very tempted by it but am worried by its limitations.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I love great software like this, but all the time, I look at this stuff and can't help but think. Well, if you had a bigger screen and say a keyboard/mouse how much easier it would be to do this job.

Full credit to the fact it can be done, and if you were somewhere with nothing else to use then yay great, but other than that, apart from proving it CAN be done, why make your life so hard by doing work like this on a tiny screen with limited controls and fat fingers in the way?

It's like saying, yes, I now can go down the road to the shops on my pogo stick, but really. A Car would be so much better and more practical to perform the same task.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
i don't know...

doesn't look too usefull for actual vj-ing, though. this looks more like a video-mixer without video-input.

i'd love to have a vj-app at's more than a one-trick-pony (like the otherwise fabulous uzu).
looks like i have to wait some more.

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
ugh. I wish people would stop making the lame jokes.
we get it. you think you're funny.

but you're not. so grow up or something.
it's called vjay for a reason. it's analogous to djay.
and it's a real progression. and it's amazing when you see a good one.

so the non creative types, please keep it down :)

I'm very tempted by it but am worried by its limitations.

And your mom always banging on your door: "Stop playing with your VJay and come to dinner."

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
It's like saying, yes, I now can go down the road to the shops on my pogo stick, but really. A Car would be so much better and more practical to perform the same task.

Sometimes I take my truck to the grocery. This app is like a $10 basket that allows me to carry a few things on my bike. Well worth the money and I don't expect it to carry plywood. For version 1.0 it looks polished. I imagine updates will add features...

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
As an owner of Djay for Mac/iPhone/iPad I can say that with Algoriddim you should "expect" plenty of updates and improvements.

I'm more worried about getting great video content to mashup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.