Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BelgianHokie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
with just a plug adapter?

just ordered a powerbook and the family is shipping it to me here in europe.

is the power supply 110 only or dual voltage? most of them i've seen lately say 100-240 or 230. just the only thing is the plug.

i do have transformers for 220 to 110 but don't like to use them unless i have to.

so...will the plug adapter thing work?

thanks-

dhc

one day i will try and give back to the forum...until then...i'll be a consumer.

if anyone has questions about guitars... (look for me at http://www.umgf.com) then i will give as much as i can.

wowoah

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
Berkeley, CA
The standard power plug that comes with the powerbook is a universal 110-240V, so you should be fine. You will definitely have to get an adaptor since the US uses differently shaped prongs from continental Europe, but those shouldn't be more than a few euro, I think.

Hope that helps!

BelgianHokie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
thanks...

just wanted to know if i had to order a different adaptor quickly.

i have plenty of adaptors since most of our appliances are dual voltage.

dhc

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I checked Apple's tech specs and it seems PB, iBook, iMac, PowerMac, and Mac Mini support Line voltage of 100-240V AC & Frequency from 50Hz to 60Hz (single phase). So, it seems it is very easy to buy your Macs in the States and bring them home and use a local plug instead of US-spec plug (usually uneven 2 prong plugs or a 2 prong plug with a groung).

I recall someone on this forum said she fried her US-spec iMac when she used it in UK. Is that a thing of the past now?

jung_offender

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2004
I can say first hand: I am writing this on my Canadian spec (same as US) powerbook in my UK home. It's been running on the current here with a simple £4 adapter for 2.5 years up until the plug went a few weeks ago. I replaced it with a stock standard plug from Apple UK with no problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.