PDA

View Full Version : High Resolution 'iPhone 5' Renderings Based on Leaked Parts

Pages : 1 [2]

JayJayAbels
Jun 8, 2012, 11:38 AM
Looks incredible. Love the new screen size, the 2 tone color scheme and the new placement of the headphone jack and other I/Os.

It's a very attractive phone.

ahireasu
Jun 8, 2012, 11:40 AM
Yeah they can, unfortunately. They do it every year with their computers. :p:mad:

I have to disagree its different for the computer line, mobile phone's are not macpro etc. to keep the same design for a decade and all be happy.

As for the "re-design" i hope people will stop calling it as one because it is.....

http://www.womenrepublic.co.uk/usw/97facelift09.jpg

Yes you guessed it right, a Face lift. on the left you got the iPhone 4/s and on the right THE iPhone 5. :eek:

They stretched it a bit and voila the iPhone 4/S is now the iPhone 5... but oh yes they are replacing the glass on the back with aluminum and plastic or glass? or whatever and also the inside's will get buffed up, oh but hey the inside's were buffed in iPhone 4s from iPhone 4, i mean commooon this is natural, to increase the power of the cpu gpu memory etc.
Is Apple sleeping?if so i hope they wake up soon, btw all this talk with the IF this thing is the new iPhone.:D

Lynn Belvedere
Jun 8, 2012, 11:40 AM
I love my white iPhone, but if the back looks like that, I'm going to have to get a black one.

nb4 that's what she said... :rolleyes:

That joke makes no sense.

netpagz
Jun 8, 2012, 11:47 AM
Has anyone got another download link for the Zip file?

GDrive is stopping people from accessing it due to high visit volume...

..yet again, Google doing what they do best, nothing.

We have moved the files over to a Google Sites location, so they should work again.

All the traffic from MR was taking down the server. Had to upgrade some resources and things should be working much better now.

(I am Bryce's brother and hosting the site)

andyjam
Jun 8, 2012, 11:47 AM
Is there any chance Apple could introduce two sizes of the new iPhone? I can understand the attraction of a larger screen, but I much prefer the current size... There's not much else decent coming out these days for those of us who don't like to lug a mini-tablet around with us all day - all the high end smartphones are 4.3" screens these days.

DrumApple
Jun 8, 2012, 11:52 AM
they should really do something about the colors, they're so bland. make it transparent glass or something, or make the white more arctic frosty glass white. why must everyone have black or white, bring us colors! or at least more interesting blacks and whites

MacTheSpoon
Jun 8, 2012, 11:53 AM
Not much of a redesign. It looks like the iPhone has joined ranks with the Mac Pro; this is the ideal shape, in Jony Ive's eyes, and he sees no reason to alter it, ever, unless changing technology forces him to adjust it minutely.

I have to say that the black version looks worse in this rendering than it did in the earlier leaked video. And not just because of the silver buttons clashing with the dark band (hopefully Apple will have enough sense not to do that). It just looks plainer and more boring overall.

To me, anyway; I know the iPhone 4, and this slightly changed version, have their fans. To me, though, it's always looked really uninspired, dull, and dreary. Like there was no emotion in it at all. Like an engineer had made it. Clunky, as an iPhone 4 owner confided to me. I really had hoped for a sleeker iPhone 5 redesign.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 8, 2012, 11:55 AM
people sure do LOVE to complain about stuff. The iPhone 4 design is beautiful. Everybody thought so when it came out, what has changed? Here are the issues I have with my iPhone 4

Reception issues: fixed with iPhone 4S
Glass back adds thickness and is fragile: Fixed with reported aluminum iPhone 5 back
3.5" screen is feeling a bit small: fixed with 4" iPhone 5

That's it. Why does anything else need to be changed? I hate nothing more than people who want it to be changed JUST for the sake of change. Why? If you have specific wishes (teardrop design, maintain current aspect ratio, etc) that's fine. Personally, the more I think about it, the more I love this design. I'll have to see the two tone back in person, but I think it's growing on me.

I'm also hoping the rumors of 2 additional colors are true. I had a white 3g and a black 4, now I'm ready to try another color! :)

duction
Jun 8, 2012, 11:56 AM
im excited to see if this is the new design, i for one think it looks ok and would grow on me, would have to be a black phone though! ;)

CaryMacGuy
Jun 8, 2012, 11:58 AM
I have heard this story before...we all complain about how the design is not any good...that is until we hold it in our hand. I personally love the design of the iPhone 4/4S...I would like a bigger screen (although my screen is more than adequate due to the way iOS handles itself). Sure there are phones out there with larger screens and supposedly "better specs" but none are as beautiful a design as the iPhone. Even the new Samsung Galaxy III, as nice looking as it is, has no where near the build quality of the phone Apple designed two years ago.

Lets just trust Apple that maybe they know what they are doing. They will sell millions and millions of the next generation iPhone. You and I will be there when it comes out ready to own this new device. Otherwise, why are you on this site :cool:

apolloa
Jun 8, 2012, 11:59 AM
I don't know why people make these videos. It is still all based on rumours? Anyway I find the video pointless as I would have preferred it to off compared the rumoured design next to an iPhone 4 or 4s.

jtchambliss
Jun 8, 2012, 12:01 PM
If this really is going to be the next iPhone, the only change I would have made to these renderings would be to show the front glass flush with the metal frame.

I believe that this will be the case. If you look at the ETrade Supply video, it looks like the mounting points are below the metal frame surface. Let's hope so because I agree that a symmetrical look is a much better design.

MACis122
Jun 8, 2012, 12:05 PM
All this looks like is a taller iPhone 4/4s apple really needs to do something different. the phone will be so uncomfortable to hold naked

Illusion986
Jun 8, 2012, 12:15 PM
Personally not a fan of back from the images but what ever it is i will get one as my iPhone 4 is feeling slow, yellow spot is appearing on the screen, and has received some physical damage so time for an upgrade

treyjustice
Jun 8, 2012, 12:24 PM
Why does apple have to come out with a new design? Why would they? The current design is awesome and it is the best selling phone ever... Y'all people confuse me!

maroontiger2k9
Jun 8, 2012, 12:34 PM
honestly, im still waiting to hear/see something that actually makes this a better phone than the iphone 4... i guess i'll have to keep waiting :-/

siri is overrated, a slightly bigger screen isnt life or death...a phone literally the size of the iphone 4 bezel isnt a must have... i need functionality that is a game changer..

apple needs to put as much passion as they do in aesthetics as they do in iOS development... im not saying that iOS has no functionality, but the visual design improvements seem to have more pull.. and thats not a great thing

SuperSnake2012
Jun 8, 2012, 12:57 PM
I'm concerned about the headphone jack being on the bottom, as well as a change from the 30 pin dock connector. The headphone jack was always one of the biggest things that I preferred on my iPhone versus the touch. A new dock connector makes tons of accessories useless. I also love that almost everyone has an iPod of some sort, so if I'm at someone's house, it's almost guaranteed that I have a way to charge my iPhone. I always thought the continuity of connections was a really nice touch from Apple. It's not like the port is that huge that it limits the thinness of the device. Only time will tell :confused:

xAnthony
Jun 8, 2012, 12:58 PM
I'm guessing all the antennas are inside the top and bottom of the phone where it is glass. The middle back plate is aluminum.

I don't think the frame is going to be the GSM, UMTS, etc. antennas anymore. If they are, then of course it won't touch the aluminum backing, and the glass top and bottom will just cover the internal WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, etc. antenna. As it is now, the glass is covering an internal antenna. Yes, that is (likely) a black antenna just under the top of the back glass plate (not visible) in the iPhone 4 and 4S.

I also believe, along with many others that, again, there won't be a teardrop design. It may look cool, but I want a battery that'll last more than 2 hours in there. (A teardrop design seems to take out 30%-50% of the volume, meaning the battery would be less than half the current size.)

The top and bottom parts are not glass. It's plastic.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 8, 2012, 01:03 PM

You are probably right, but how do you know? I've been looking everywhere to see if any of the leaks have officially stated the materials, and I haven't found anything. Could the metal be liquidmetal even?

madmaxmedia
Jun 8, 2012, 01:05 PM
To me, anyway; I know the iPhone 4, and this slightly changed version, have their fans. To me, though, it's always looked really uninspired, dull, and dreary. Like there was no emotion in it at all. Like an engineer had made it. Clunky, as an iPhone 4 owner confided to me. I really had hoped for a sleeker iPhone 5 redesign.

I absolutely love the iPhone 4 design, but I think it's time for a change.

xAnthony
Jun 8, 2012, 01:10 PM
You are probably right, but how do you know? I've been looking everywhere to see if any of the leaks have officially stated the materials, and I haven't found anything. Could the metal be liquidmetal even?

I read it somewhere... I've been trying to find the article for the past 10 minutes. Glass would not make sense as if it shattered, your iPhone would just look retarded and it doesn't look as if the back plate is replaceable.

Plastic makes sense as it would help with reception.

iSteve-O
Jun 8, 2012, 01:20 PM
Wow they're really milking this design aren't they?

nuckinfutz
Jun 8, 2012, 01:24 PM
Where exactly is Apple supposed to go for design?

Arc phone?

Oval phone?

Most of the people complaining don't seem to have any mockups of their own to discuss how much better at design they are than Johnny Ive.

End the end Apple has to ship product by the millions...not fantasies.

thefourthpope
Jun 8, 2012, 01:52 PM
It's growing on me. When I first saw the pictures of the back I was a little put off, the elongated screen was a bit off putting as well, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the final product.

I actually like the look of the back, it'll be interesting to see how it's used in the end--assuming of course that it isn't a prototype or planned leak, it is a bit soon to be seeing these parts leak out of the supply chain it seems.

It struck me as strange that the two-tone back panel didn't line up with the screen. It seems like for consistency they would have the screen, antenna break, and back panel all in line.

netpagz
Jun 8, 2012, 02:05 PM
You can now see all the pics on Bryce's blog post without having to download the zip file!

linsam
Jun 8, 2012, 02:28 PM
The new design resembles a skyscraper! Yikes! They are tall! :eek:

imageWIS
Jun 8, 2012, 02:55 PM
If this is the design, Apple has plateaued.

That's what I was thinking. I haven't seen anything original come out of Apple since the iPad... and that's on its third iteration.

mnemonix
Jun 8, 2012, 03:08 PM
Weak attempt at free advertising for the wannabe 'agency' that did these renderings based on nothing more than all the previous and unsubstantiated rumors + page hits for MacRumors.

Lame.

npggirl
Jun 8, 2012, 03:27 PM
(This message was suppose to be in response to another message on this board, but it kept throwing an error at me when I tried to reply with quotes)

In my opinion, they would not be changing it just for change sake...
I am 2 classes away from completing my Master's in Business and one thing learned in a business degree is market demand. If the market is demanding a larger screen, and Apple does not provide...Apple may lose part of their market/customers.
It's trends...We don't wear the same clothes we did in the 80's or 90's.
The vast majority of the population follow trends.
The larger phones are a trend. And I can tell, tons of iPhone users are itching for a redesigned phone.
I am one of them.
I still want the insides, as i love Apple products...but it is time to revamp.
Here is an article with a video that shows a poll regarding this very thing...

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/market-demand.html

Giuly
Jun 8, 2012, 03:33 PM
I wonder how Schiller is going to sell this as "the last iPhone Steve Jobs was deeply involved with" :rolleyes:

alexgowers
Jun 8, 2012, 03:38 PM
Please no I love the 3:2 aspect ratio it's too perfect, if it's a long design I really don't see the benefits. I hope they keep 3:2 but they can mess with case ny way they want.

I can't believe ive would do this design it's just bad from the two tone back to the tall disgusting form factor. It's just wrong.

Trhodezy
Jun 8, 2012, 04:22 PM
We have moved the files over to a Google Sites location, so they should work again.

All the traffic from MR was taking down the server. Had to upgrade some resources and things should be working much better now.

(I am Bryce's brother and hosting the site)

Excellent - Thanks very much.

dampfnudel
Jun 8, 2012, 04:40 PM
If that's the next iPhone, I won't feel so bad that I can't upgrade until next year. The design change is minimal, especially compared to the dramatic design change between the 3GS and the 4. I can see how people who felt good when showing off their radically different and drool-worthy iPhone 4 in the summer of 2010 would be disappointed that they can't really replicate that experience this Fall. At least not without the possibility of getting a "that looks like my 4/4S" reply back.

Personally, I think it doesn't look bad, just maybe a little too similar to my 4S which means I'll have to focus even more on what's inside than I did before.

MythicFrost
Jun 8, 2012, 09:07 PM
why in the world would apple update the screen size every year or two? It took 5 years to change the screen the first time. Plus human hands aren't growing in size... I anticipate this will be the screen size for a long time
Why? Because back in 2007 the smartphone market was newish, and over the last five years or so much demand has been shown for a larger display, and now the iPhone 5 is going to have a larger display. But the smartphone market is huge now, and for many people large displays are very important. Apple can't get away with staying at 4 inches for another five years. I think every 2-3 they'll need to update it.

blue22
Jun 8, 2012, 09:42 PM
...where's "double down (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/29/tim-cook-at-d10-were-going-to-double-down-on-secrecy-on-products/)" Timmy on all this recently leaked info?!

;)

gatortpk
Jun 8, 2012, 09:48 PM

I know I was suspecting the top and bottom to be made of glass, but plastic would be much easier to use. However, I think it would a step back in using scratch resistant materials, meaning the plastic is obviously much easier to scratch.

Though if most iPhones usually get a case even if only a bumper case, this may be less relevant.

A plastic and metal back would decrease the amount of glass to shatter by half, and also be thinner at the same time, the main reason for using aluminum in the first place. Using two sheets of glass adds up to 2 mm total (1.6 if using the newer 0.8 mm Gorilla glass) which is almost a quarter of the total thickness!

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 8, 2012, 09:48 PM
Why? Because back in 2007 the smartphone market was newish, and over the last five years or so much demand has been shown for a larger display, and now the iPhone 5 is going to have a larger display. But the smartphone market is huge now, and for many people large displays are very important. Apple can't get away with staying at 4 inches for another five years. I think every 2-3 they'll need to update it.

No. You're logic seems to imply that bigger is inherently better. That is just not the case. So in two years apple goes to 4.5" then 5" then 6". Apparently the human hand is growing. Yes, some people want larger screens for various reasons, but until apple begins releasing multiple size iPhones they will go for a mass market appeal size. 4" is perfect for that. Apple certainly isn't going to go any larger.

gatortpk
Jun 8, 2012, 10:06 PM
A middle back plate made of aluminum does not makes sense. What is the advantage of having this small portion made out of aluminium? Although these are the negatives:

Strength - 3 pieces fused together will be a lot weaker than one solid piece. Even if only gorilla glass.
RF - Metal in close proximity significantly impacts the RF radiation pattern. You cannot fit GSM, wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS and have it work reliably in the two small windows above and below an aluminium mid backing. So a metal back is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Although I do agree with your Teardrop analogy. The new design will be fairly square.

True, one piece is stronger than three fused pieces, unless the fused pieces are stronger themselves. The strength in the iPhone 4 and 4S can be attributed to the one piece of glass on the back as well, though I think the frame is more important for overall strength in these models and the frame is made of at least two pieces in the iPhone 4, and perhaps 4 pieces in the 4S. (Also the one piece of glass shatters more easily)

A big reason for aluminum is to decrease thickness and increase strength, (or be virtually shatter proof). Also, the original iPhone did have all of it's antennas inside under plastic at the bottom with an aluminum backing. At least if this new phone has plastic (or thin glass) at the top and bottom, it would have much greater (spatial) area for the antennas and could enable MIMO for the 4G LTE, instead of just dual antennas.

Remember, two pieces of glass increased the overall thickness by almost a quarter! (2mm, or 1.6mm with 0.8mm Gorilla Glass minus the thinner alternatives).

Also, concerning RF capability, sure nearby metal changes the RF radiation pattern, but so does touching the antennas with "mostly water" fingers!

MythicFrost
Jun 8, 2012, 11:03 PM
No. You're logic seems to imply that bigger is inherently better. That is just not the case. So in two years apple goes to 4.5" then 5" then 6". Apparently the human hand is growing. Yes, some people want larger screens for various reasons, but until apple begins releasing multiple size iPhones they will go for a mass market appeal size. 4" is perfect for that. Apple certainly isn't going to go any larger.
I'm not implying that at all, it's subjective. All I'm saying is that people are going to again want a larger iPhone, and much sooner than five years. By staying with a resolution that's a multiple of 480x320 they could continue to change the screen size as much as needed with no transitional issues.

This taller iPhone won't satisfy everyone who wanted a larger screen, and it will mean there's going to be lots of transitional issues every time a new screen size, aspect ratio, or resolution is introduced, including this time around. There were much better solutions than this imo.

gooddog
Jun 8, 2012, 11:20 PM
The matte-black body looks a lot more classy than the cheesy Las Vegas glossy body does. Now if it came with a matte retina display and the powerful lower speaker re-located to where the ear speaker has been so we could,

1. have the sound firing toward us, instead of off to the right while viewing videos,

2. have a more-than-loud-enough ear speaker out in the street traffic,

3. a little free space below, where the speaker was "pi_ _ ing into the wind" to hold something useful like a lanyard anchor or more battery, or a coffee maker
etc.

AND OHH YESSS ... an iOS THAT LETS US MAKE OUR OWN FOLDER ICONS SO THAT WE DON'T SQUINT TO DEATH READING TEENY CAPTIONS OF BOX'O BOXES FOLDER ICONS.

AND THE ABILITY TO SAVE APP CONTENT INTO SEPARATE FOLDERS SO OUR DATA ISN'T HELD HOSTAGE TO THE APP AND THEIR SOCIOPATHIC-DATA-KILLING-UPDATE DEVELOPERS.

... RANT, RANT, RANT ...

Kaenon
Jun 9, 2012, 11:21 AM
I'm still unsure about the two tone backing, but overall it looks sweet... The mute/volume buttons on the black one better match the metal though.

It looks sweet? It looks the same as the 4 and the 4S.

Granted, it is my favorite design of the phones out there, but I can't get...excited about it, but I like it.

Darwing
Jun 9, 2012, 03:54 PM
This is really upsetting if this is the design, won't be upgrading and possibly moving to android, unless ios6 has intelliscreen built in...

NedBookPro
Jun 9, 2012, 03:58 PM
If it's just a bit longer, that will be 3 generations of iphones almost the same.
The format of the iphone is starting to get tired. At least give us a bigger screen - and I don't mean just longer. What's up with that? I mean *big deal*.

I thought the credo was "Think Different".
Common Tim / Jony - DO SOMETHING.

The 4S was already a disappointment for those if us with a 4
I never bothered upgrading. Possibly wont for this one either unless there's something really "wow" about it.

I'm happy to give you my money Apple, but not if it's the same old thing.

Apple are going to have to start worrying about the likes of Samsung.
Even my hard core apple friends are starting to look at it.

If Samsung could run iOS, even I would consider.
Android is the only thing stopping me.

Just saying...

OzymandiasII
Jun 9, 2012, 04:08 PM
why does everyone call it the iPhone 5 when it really is the iPhone 6?

gatortpk
Jun 9, 2012, 04:09 PM
yea these pictures show the front of it is angled. The 4 and 4/s are flat.
i think the glass in front will be level with the edge of this so the glass fits inside the phone this time not on the outside.

Looking at the actual photo of the iPhone 4S frame next to the leaked next generation part, it appears that the new part is about 6.6 mm thick. The current frame is 6 mm thick, and add on 1.35 mm on each side for the glass, etc. and you have a total of 9.3 mm (which is the thickness of the current iPhone 4S).

If the glass sets inside the leaked part (the angled bezel) then the new iPhone would only be 6.6 mm thick! I measured the angled bezel itself and it came out to be about 1.35 mm thick from the inside to outside edge. (This would suggest that they are using the same glass thickness, and other parts that are outside the current iPhone's frame, inside the new frame since it is also 1.35 mm.)

This would be a very surprising new thickness (or thinness), because if you add 1.35 to 6.6, you get 7.95, very close to the rumored new thickness of 7.9 mm.

Could it be that the rumored new thickness of 7.9 mm was based on the leaked part plus about 1.3 mm for the front glass?

If the new iPhone is really only 6.6 mm thick then with the included extra height (of the iPhone; taller screen) the internal volume would decrease by only about 3%, but the fewer parts inside (such as the plate behind the current screen) and a smaller logic board could mean slightly more space for a battery. It just seems that everything lines up to be reasonable for battery space (volume) for a thin phone at only 6.6mm thick!

x-evil-x
Jun 9, 2012, 05:42 PM
Looking at the actual photo of the iPhone 4S frame next to the leaked next generation part, it appears that the new part is about 6.6 mm thick. The current frame is 6 mm thick, and add on 1.35 mm on each side for the glass, etc. and you have a total of 9.3 mm (which is the thickness of the current iPhone 4S).

If the glass sets inside the leaked part (the angled bezel) then the new iPhone would only be 6.6 mm thick! I measured the angled bezel itself and it came out to be about 1.35 mm thick from the inside to outside edge. (This would suggest that they are using the same glass thickness, and other parts that are outside the current iPhone's frame, inside the new frame since it is also 1.35 mm.)

This would be a very surprising new thickness (or thinness), because if you add 1.35 to 6.6, you get 7.95, very close to the rumored new thickness of 7.9 mm.

Could it be that the rumored new thickness of 7.9 mm was based on the leaked part plus about 1.3 mm for the front glass?

If the new iPhone is really only 6.6 mm thick then with the included extra height (of the iPhone; taller screen) the internal volume would decrease by only about 3%, but the fewer parts inside (such as the plate behind the current screen) and a smaller logic board could mean slightly more space for a battery. It just seems that everything lines up to be reasonable for battery space (volume) for a thin phone at only 6.6mm thick!

I'm 95% sure the glass will be flush with the angled edge. Look at the back of the phone it has the same angle an then it's flat where the back is. They should match this at the front since its cut the same way. The glass won't stick out which is a much better design.
I'm thinking 7.4
If you see the other pictures there's a notch inside the phone where the front glass sits.

whsbuss
Jun 9, 2012, 06:10 PM
This is really upsetting if this is the design, won't be upgrading and possibly moving to android, unless ios6 has intelliscreen built in...

So long!

Reach9
Jun 9, 2012, 08:13 PM
I'm surprised Apple hasn't taken the video down or anything yet, this might not be legit.

gatortpk
Jun 9, 2012, 09:38 PM
I'm 95% sure the glass will be flush with the angled edge. Look at the back of the phone it has the same angle an then it's flat where the back is. They should match this at the front since its cut the same way. The glass won't stick out which is a much better design.
I'm thinking 7.4
If you see the other pictures there's a notch inside the phone where the front glass sits.

I agree, it does appear that the new iPhone will be the thickness of that leaked part. I should look at some more photo's (it's hard to measure 3D objects from a 2D photo taken at two off-axis angles), and it is looking more like 7.4 mm.

Until I can see much higher resolution photos taken at better angles, all my calculations could be off by 3%-10%. I'm having to measure from blurry edges themselves.

If it is about 7.4 mm, then even better for 12% more battery space. That would be adding exactly an hour to the 8 hour talk time, making it 9 hours. Though, the new CPU/GPU "A6" and Qualcomm Gobi LTE chipset could take more or less power depending process (28 nm and/or 32 nm instead of 45 nm feature size)

I know the current frame is 6 mm thick. It looks like the new part flat side may be about 5.8 mm thick, and add in both 0.8 mm thick edges, and you get 7.4 mm. (I forgot to account for the second side edge, which wasn't visible, in my previous calculation.) The glass and any thin rubber like material (surrounding the glass as in current iPhones) can still sit in deeper than 0.8 mm anyway, but from other photos, it also looks like it's not much deeper than 0.8 mm. I can see the "notch" that the glass would sit in. I've read about the 0.8 mm Gorilla Glass 2, obviously if it's sitting inside the steel frame itself, then it's more protected than the glass on the current iPhone 4/4S.

gatortpk
Jun 9, 2012, 09:48 PM
why does everyone call it the iPhone 5 when it really is the iPhone 6?

It will start with the model number iPhone 5,1. It really is the fifth generation. The Original and 3G iPhones were iPhone 1,1 and 1,2 respectively. The iPhone 3GS was the true second generation.

iPhone (2G) is iPhone 1,1
iPhone 3G is iPhone 1,2

iPhone 3GS is iPhone 2,1

iPhone 4 is iPhone 3,1

iPhone 4S is iPhone 4,1

The new iPhone will be iPhone 5,1 (very likely)

alexgowers
Jun 10, 2012, 08:12 AM
100% fake, has to be.

I'm sorry but number one reason for apple success is lack of fragmentation of apps and os, this goes against it

Design, it's ugly and not like any apple product at all.

Easy to fake, it's not exactly hard to whip up a back like this.

Antenna, i'm sure anyone with antenna knowledge can see a metal back with a metal back plate is not gonna work, they didn't choose the original glass because it looked good.

The fake is based on some fake plans that are dubious at best.

No solid evidence from anywhere that this is from any reputable source.

Apple has made no attempts to stop this supposed leak! I mean come on apple went mad about the iphone 4 and even more so over the 4s despite it being the same design with no external changes.

Apple would never consider sending any spares out before a solid launch date and even then a new design like this would warrant new procedures before allowing anyone else to fix or replace any parts.

If you think this is real then you must be pretty blind and i really wish mac rumours would stop posting such disgusting designs as if they are 100% the truth.

tekno
Jun 10, 2012, 08:24 AM

It couldn't be any more "like any Apple product" - it looks exactly like the iPhone 4 (but a bit longer).

----------

Bryce Haymond of Blackpool Creative (http://www.blackpoolcreative.com/) has created a set (http://www.blackpoolcreative.com/blog/iphone-5-renderings-based-on-leaked-parts/) of high resolution 3D renderings of the "iPhone 5" based on the circulating part leaks and diagrams (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/30/schematic-purportedly-shows-next-generation-iphone-front-panel-design-with-4-inch-display/). Besides the video below, he's also created a zip of 76 (https://sites.google.com/site/iphone5renderings/home/iPhone5renderings.zip?attredirects=0&d=1) high resolution images for download.

400,000 views. I wonder how much money he's made from that video so far...

bobob
Jun 10, 2012, 10:50 AM
100% fake, has to be.

I'm sorry but number one reason for apple success is lack of fragmentation of apps and os, this goes against it

Antenna, i'm sure anyone with antenna knowledge can see a metal back with a metal back plate is not gonna work, they didn't choose the original glass because it looked good.

Apple has made no attempts to stop this supposed leak! I mean come on apple went mad about the iphone 4 and even more so over the 4s despite it being the same design with no external changes.

Apple would never consider sending any spares out before a solid launch date and even then a new design like this would warrant new procedures before allowing anyone else to fix or replace any parts.

If you think this is real then you must be pretty blind and i really wish mac rumours would stop posting such disgusting designs as if they are 100% the truth.

This is true.

When Tim Cook recently spoke about doubling down on secrecy (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/29/tim-cook-at-d10-were-going-to-double-down-on-secrecy-on-products/) - - this was exactly the type of diversionary tactic he was referring to.

Go Apple!

x-evil-x
Jun 10, 2012, 01:49 PM
100% fake, has to be.

And if your wrong what will you say?

MacAgnostic
Jun 10, 2012, 04:35 PM
100% fake, has to be.
I'll assume you mean the alleged leaked parts, as we know the renderings are not real...

So all iOS apps work on all iOS platforms today without any fragmentation?
Yeah, Riiight:rolleyes:

That is your opinion. We heard the same rhetoric about the iPhone 4 prototype.
Not everyone shares your opinion.

Proves nothing.

The metal back plate does not extend to the top and bottom where the antennae are located, a different material is used there so that the antennae will work.

You are making this up. You don't really know at all.

Proves nothing.

So you expect them to continue confirming leaks?

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

So, since it couldn't be a spare part, it could only be a fake? Not a prototype or stolen or whatever?
That would be a false dilemma, proving Nothing.

If you think this is real then you must be pretty blind and i really wish mac rumours would stop posting such disgusting designs as if they are 100% the truth.It's MacRumors. They post RUMORS.

pmau
Jun 10, 2012, 04:37 PM
Is MacTruth.com available?

^^BIGMac
Jun 10, 2012, 06:05 PM
Is MacTruth.com available?Sorry...

http://www.godaddy.com/domains/searchresults.aspx?ci=54814

:D

pmau
Jun 10, 2012, 06:20 PM
Sorry...

http://www.godaddy.com/domains/searchresults.aspx?ci=54814

:D

Hi Scott ;)

newnomad
Jun 10, 2012, 06:49 PM
Based on the leaked prototype back, liquid metal state, and welding patent I'd guess the iphone 5 will be a 'composed' unibody:

a lasercut thin section of a stainless steel profile (1 part, no seams)
a stainless steel backplate welded to it
liquidmetal antennea inlays (the shiny top and bottom of the back)
a plastic insert for positioning the inards and spacing the antennea from the backplate

Assembly would be greatly simplified, and colors could be anything (glascoating and liquidmetal out of mold color) contrasting with the stainless steel silver.

mitso
Jun 11, 2012, 05:21 AM
True, one piece is stronger than three fused pieces, unless the fused pieces are stronger themselves. The strength in the iPhone 4 and 4S can be attributed to the one piece of glass on the back as well, though I think the frame is more important for overall strength in these models and the frame is made of at least two pieces in the iPhone 4, and perhaps 4 pieces in the 4S. (Also the one piece of glass shatters more easily)

A big reason for aluminum is to decrease thickness and increase strength, (or be virtually shatter proof). Also, the original iPhone did have all of it's antennas inside under plastic at the bottom with an aluminum backing. At least if this new phone has plastic (or thin glass) at the top and bottom, it would have much greater (spatial) area for the antennas and could enable MIMO for the 4G LTE, instead of just dual antennas.

Remember, two pieces of glass increased the overall thickness by almost a quarter! (2mm, or 1.6mm with 0.8mm Gorilla Glass minus the thinner alternatives).

Also, concerning RF capability, sure nearby metal changes the RF radiation pattern, but so does touching the antennas with "mostly water" fingers!

Correct the metal frame contributes to the majority of support in the iPhone 4/s only when attached to the internal metal backplane. It's attached to this plane with screws. The glass back provide reinforcement if the phone lands on its front or back face. That's where these fused parts will get found out as stress will be applied at this point. It's not like the apple logo on the back of a iPad because that's not on a major part line whereas in the leaked photos it is and would not tolerate flex. Gorilla glass can flex quite well but only comes undone when exposed to a sharp and concentrated force. Is Apple to blame that your phone is not indestructible? Use one of the many cases if you want it bomb proof.

Since the frame contributes to the majority of support the requirement for a metal back is unnecessary.

And did you use the original iPhone? Antenna reception was worse than the iPhone 4. I'm not saying its impossible to do, its just that Apple won't risk compromising RF performance after the last episode. MIMO will basically be negated in such tight confines. How many 4G antennas do you think you can get out of these two windows which will differ in signal integrity?

Correct, touching the antenna with your fingers will affect the RF hence the issues with the iPhone 4. That's why it was changed to have a second fallback antenna which will be unobstructed. A metal back will be a permanent interference for both antennas.

rockyroad55
Jun 11, 2012, 07:25 AM
That joke makes no sense.

I understood it

Sunbelt
Jun 11, 2012, 07:27 AM

As a current Android user (Had to get an LTE device in order to double my data for the same price on Verizon-which is why I hope the next iPhone has LTE), you don't want to do that. I've had my Bionic for a month and a half and regret it already. Stay with iOS and Apple and life will be much better in that regard.

MacRumorUser
Jun 11, 2012, 07:50 AM
100% fake, has to be.

Sorry but do you bother reading website addresses and titles / articles ?

Let us help you out.... [dons his Sherlock Holmes hat]

firstly this is

http://cdn.macrumors.com/images-new/logo.png

The 'rumor' part of the title is clue number 1

Let's have a look at the thread title. [get's out his CSI scanner]

High Resolution 'iPhone 5' Renderings Based on Leaked Parts

Rendering eh? So this must be clue number 2

Ok how about the Article text.. [Miss Marple eat your heart out]

Bryce Haymond of Blackpool Creative has created a set of high resolution 3D renderings of the "iPhone 5" based on the circulating part leaks and diagrams.

Quote:
"There's been quite a bit of hype recently in the Apple universe over the imminent announcement of a new iPhone, or rather the new iPhone (aka iPhone 5). Many of the biggest media outlets have already published photos and videos of "leaked" parts that are supposedly from the iPhone 5 as it makes its way into the manufacturing phase at Apple's suppliers. I thought it would be fun to piece together these fragments to see what the iPhone 5 might look like when Apple makes the big announcement"

So confirmation these are indeed renderings and not made by Apple!! I'm just in shock here!! Congratulations we have found clue number 3...

So yes they are FAKE! They never conspired to be anything other than FAKE because they are as title says

High Resolution 'iPhone 5' Renderings Based on Leaked Parts

Seriously :rolleyes:

MythicFrost
Jun 11, 2012, 08:08 AM
So all iOS apps work on all iOS platforms today without any fragmentation?
Yeah, Riiight:rolleyes:

Of course they don't but iOS has so little fragmentation it's not even worth mentioning. When developing an iOS app you only need to support two resolutions -- 480x320 and 1024x768 -- and then supply your app with standard and retina assets.

There's only a handful or so of devices that you need to support: iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, iPod touch 3, 4, iPad 1, 2, 3. And you can target the current iOS version since iOS 5 has such a huge user base, and if you wanted to catch the minority who haven't updated, or if you want to support the original iPhone and iPhone 3G, then you can just target iOS 3.

Contrast that to Android which has hundreds of different smartphones and at least a dozen or so different slates, each with different resolutions, aspect ratios, CPUs, GPUs, and varying amounts of RAM. And each of those running versions of Android from 2.0 up to 4.0, with 2.2 Froyo still carrying a large user base, and the latest version -- 4.0 -- only carrying a small user base.

Michael Scrip
Jun 11, 2012, 02:38 PM
The retina wasn't really a problem was it. Non-retina games run on a retine screen, retina games run on a non-retina screen, without issues or black strips on the sides of the screen. It's something completely different.

But I do agree that, if the screen ratio is changed, eventually apps will be updated, but it doesn't cover the fact that all developpers will have to consider both screen sizes the coming years, as the iPhone 4S and 4 and even 3G are still much used, and will most certainly still be in stores for another year, as lower-entry model.

Correct.

But my point was Apple has only had a major shift once in the iPhone's history... and once in the iPad's history. (Retina upgrades for both)

And while it was a big deal at first and developers had to do some work to adjust... it happened.

Now here we are again... with a 3rd iPhone resolution and screen ratio.

No one said app development was easy :)

Lynn Belvedere
Jun 11, 2012, 02:50 PM
I understood it

There was nothing to understand. Just saying "that's what she said" after saying "black one" isn't a joke. It was beyond lame. If you are going to try "that's what she said" jokes, they have to make some sense.

saturn88
Jun 11, 2012, 04:59 PM
So it appears the rumor about longer iPhone aspect ratio is not true. Otherwise we would learn about it today from the iOS6 keynote and the beta is publicly available.

gatortpk
Jun 11, 2012, 09:41 PM
MIMO will basically be negated in such tight confines. How many 4G antennas do you think you can get out of these two windows which will differ in signal integrity?

Good point, I didn't think about the spacing of the two antennas. They generally need separated by at least half the wavelength of the signal. In the case of 2100 MHz LTE Band, this would be about 2.75" (5.5" 2 = 2.75"), which is surprisingly close to the hight of the current iPhone screen (~3"). In this case it could work. The new (taller) iPhone could have it's antenna's close to 4.5" apart. This would work for the 1700 MHz LTE Band too, where half the wavelength is about 3.5".

But the other LTE bands are around 700 MHz. And half those wavelengths are around 7.5"-8.5", that wouldn't work very well.

In the USA, AT&T uses 700 MHz, 1700 & 2100 MHz bands for LTE, however Verizon only uses the 700 MHz bands. This would be another odd advantage for AT&T at present if MIMO were actually used. (The other current advantage being the GSM HSPA+ 3G speeds are consistently 3 times faster than CDMA's 3G speeds, and the iPhone doesn't have LTE yet. When the new iPhone gets LTE, Verizon and AT&T are the same speed generally for LTE, but Verizon has a bit more LTE coverage. But I wonder how much faster could MIMO really be in the real world? For AT&T?)

Hesadanza
Jun 12, 2012, 07:21 PM
Hi all. I've posted brand new renderings of the iPhone 5 based on leaked parts (calling it version 2.0). New longer video, and 47 new hi-res images. These are much improved over the first version. These have many fixes and refinements that bring them much more in line with the details seen in the leaked parts/prototypes.

I've also included a bunch of photographic real-life shots with the CAD models composited into them, to give a feel for the more every-day look of the phone. Here's the link:
http://www.blackpoolcreative.com/blog/version-2-0-the-new-iphone-5-based-on-leaked-parts/

Let me know what you think.

gto55
Jun 13, 2012, 02:16 AM
http://jailbreakwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/iphone-5-1.jpg

http://jailbreakwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/iphone-5-2.jpg

http://jailbreakwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/iphone-5-3.jpg

http://www.iphon.fr/public/2012/Q2/.fuite-nouvel-iphone-5-4_m.jpg

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/13/leaked_photos_of_possible_assembled_next_gen_iphone_emerge___rumor.html

deuxani
Jun 13, 2012, 03:59 AM
So the headphone jack suddenly moved from the left side to the right side and everything turned black and I can't fit an extra row of icons on the screen in Photoshop.... and this person has 2 new iPhones? I'm very suspicious :)

gto55
Jun 13, 2012, 04:50 AM
seems to be modelled in RHINOCEROS 3D ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nepaltibet2005/sets/72157630041568903/detail/

nealh
Jun 13, 2012, 05:28 AM
I just hope it is not just taller. That does not looked balanced. The width needs to be greater to have a better appearance.

Taller does not help a lot for good functioning real estate.

Please let the leaks be wrong, this redesign is not as radical as going from 3GS to iPhone 4.

I want more????

mirko.meschini
Jun 17, 2012, 05:05 AM
Did u read this http://iphone5slatest.com/iphone-5-image-may-have-leaked-at-wwdc-2012
Seems that they showed a stretched iPhone in a video at WWDC... Is it possible they are kidding us and the latest rumors?

bassanoclapper
Jun 17, 2012, 08:17 AM
I can see a possible 'stretched' chassis with a 4" display but a two-tone rear shell doesn't seem elegant enough IMHO

Moonjumper
Jun 17, 2012, 10:11 AM
So it appears the rumor about longer iPhone aspect ratio is not true. Otherwise we would learn about it today from the iOS6 keynote and the beta is publicly available.

No, we cannot assume that. The Retina iPad resolution was introduced at very short notice, and the Retina MBP was introduced with no notice. Apple gave notice of the original iPad so that developers could be ready for a new interface style. I don't think they will have to do the same for a new screen that requires rejigging of existing interfaces.

The link a few posts ago mentioning the long-screened iPhone in the Eyes Free section of the WWDC Keynote makes me think it is true. I just checked that section on iTunes, it is definitely a longer screen shown.

MacAgnostic
Jun 17, 2012, 11:26 PM
Did u read this http://iphone5slatest.com/iphone-5-image-may-have-leaked-at-wwdc-2012
Seems that they showed a stretched iPhone in a video at WWDC... Is it possible they are kidding us and the latest rumors?
no, it's just a distorted image.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1383564