PDA

View Full Version : High Resolution 'iPhone 5' Renderings Based on Leaked Parts

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 8, 2012, 01:26 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08/high-resolution-iphone-5-renderings-based-on-leaked-parts/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/iphone51.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/iPhone39.jpg)
Bryce Haymond of Blackpool Creative (http://www.blackpoolcreative.com/) has created a set (http://www.blackpoolcreative.com/blog/iphone-5-renderings-based-on-leaked-parts/) of high resolution 3D renderings of the "iPhone 5" based on the circulating part leaks and diagrams (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/30/schematic-purportedly-shows-next-generation-iphone-front-panel-design-with-4-inch-display/). There's been quite a bit of hype recently in the Apple universe over the imminent announcement of a new iPhone, or rather the new iPhone (aka iPhone 5). Many of the biggest media outlets have already published photos and videos of "leaked" parts that are supposedly from the iPhone 5 as it makes its way into the manufacturing phase at Apple's suppliers. I thought it would be fun to piece together these fragments to see what the iPhone 5 might look like when Apple makes the big announcementBesides the video below, he's also created a zip of 76 (https://sites.google.com/site/iphone5renderings/home/iPhone5renderings.zip?attredirects=0&d=1) high resolution images for download.

g0yYw3y_fYE
The numerous part leaks have fueled interest in this longer 4" screen iPhone design. Last year, early 3rd party case designs had suggested an even more dramatic redesign (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/10/this-could-be-what-apples-iphone-5-looks-like/), but that design never came to pass.

Apple will be taking the stage at WWDC next week, but most observers don't expect Apple to unveil the new iPhone at WWDC. The new iPhone is not expected (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/23/next-iphone-coming-fall-2012-with-lte-3-5-inch-screen/) to be introduced until the fall (September/October).

Article Link: High Resolution 'iPhone 5' Renderings Based on Leaked Parts (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08/high-resolution-iphone-5-renderings-based-on-leaked-parts/)

fun173
Jun 8, 2012, 01:27 AM
Looks pretty similar except for the increased height. I am looking forward to seeing what the new iPhone will bring. :)

Helixc0de
Jun 8, 2012, 01:29 AM
All I can say is I will not buy the iPhone 5 or anymore iPhone proceeding that unless it is a redesign. In particular the "tear drop" design.

hrishidev
Jun 8, 2012, 01:30 AM
No new design ? :confused:

FrankieTDouglas
Jun 8, 2012, 01:32 AM
All I can say is I will not buy the iPhone 5 or anymore iPhone proceeding that unless it is a redesign. In particular the "tear drop" design.

I'd prefer not. The current design makes it super easy to sit it on its side or bottom for video recording or skype video chats.

Travis Bickle
No headphone jack?

dagamer34
Well knowing that this is a rendering that could be 100% fake, I will be disappointed if the next iPhone has a design that is extremely similar to the iPhone 4/4S.

Ljohnson72
If the iPhone 5 does have a larger screen I REALLY hope it's not just an elongated screen.

Ryth
Jun 8, 2012, 01:33 AM
This is coming before the end of summer...usually with leaks like these parts, the phone is already in production...I'm guess late July/August.

Oct was too long of a wait last year.

appleguy123
I love my white iPhone, but if the back looks like that, I'm going to have to get a black one.

nb4 that's what she said... :rolleyes:

omenatarhuri
It does seem a tad similar to the last, the previous redesigns have been more radical.

appleguy123
No headphone jack?

Leaks say it's on the bottom.

Ryth
Jun 8, 2012, 01:34 AM
Well knowing that this is a rendering that could be 100% fake, I will be disappointed if the next iPhone has a design that is extremely similar to the iPhone 4/4S.

There's only so much you can do...it's either taller, wider or thinner.

A tear-drop shape is not happening.

morechicken
Jun 8, 2012, 01:36 AM
I like it. But I'm pretty sure that lot of people won't like it.

Stang68
Jun 8, 2012, 01:42 AM
If this is the design, Apple has plateaued.

Ddyracer
Jun 8, 2012, 01:44 AM
I'm liking it. The two tone design gives it character. Anyway, i don't care too much about the design because it will go in a case anyway. If this is the next iPhone it will be kind of similar to the original 2G because of the black strip at the bottom. Of course, the 2G had only one and in comparison to the prototype/mockup.

Just make it some kind of metal. Plastic is rather cheap, glass fragile.

Confuzzzed
Jun 8, 2012, 01:44 AM
I have to say I have been turned. I was one of those saying October, but all this detail leaking tells me this is in production already. I would not be surprised AT ALL if the new iPhone was announced on Monday. Bring it

MR1324
Jun 8, 2012, 01:47 AM
that video needs some music.

smeggsmeg
Jun 8, 2012, 01:48 AM
I would be more than happy if the new iPhone was similar to this. In my opinion the iPhone 4,4s are still the most aesthetically pleasing smartphones on the market. I'd go as far to say as i would prefer it not to get taller as its just the right size as is.

I actually saw a Samsung Galaxy Note in the wild the other day, now thats one ugly brick.

Ultimedia
Jun 8, 2012, 01:49 AM
Apple can only redesign the iPhone to a certain extend. I personally still like the iPhone 4 design and it's hard to fault it.

People expect a redesign just for the matter of redesigning something.

carlos916
Jun 8, 2012, 01:49 AM
I kno it's just a mock up design but I hope the screen does not sit out like that and hopefully it sits flushed with the body or has a tapered edge like the back..either way i can't wait:D

Mak47
Jun 8, 2012, 01:50 AM
It's growing on me. When I first saw the pictures of the back I was a little put off, the elongated screen was a bit off putting as well, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the final product.

I actually like the look of the back, it'll be interesting to see how it's used in the end--assuming of course that it isn't a prototype or planned leak, it is a bit soon to be seeing these parts leak out of the supply chain it seems.

mitso
Jun 8, 2012, 01:50 AM
No way will it look like this. The antennas on the side will not function if connected to a metal backing. The back will be some type of glass. I know they were developing a fibreglass which can have a glossy black finish with x times the strength of gorilla glass.

Apple use to leak dummy parts now they have these fools doing all the work..

andyjam
Jun 8, 2012, 01:51 AM
I'm still unsure about the two tone backing, but overall it looks sweet... The mute/volume buttons on the black one better match the metal though.

Reach9
Jun 8, 2012, 01:56 AM
So after all these years..we still have the horrible old ice cream sandwich-like design, when the 3G/S felt much better on the hand. Can't Apple find a good middle ground?

So 4" screen and same old horrible exterior design? Hmm I might just skip this.

bb426
Jun 8, 2012, 02:00 AM
I am just gonna put it out there... I bet the front will not be as raised as the renderings show. Right now the 4/4S have the glass slightly extended outwards. I can't see them only having that on one side as depicted by the renderings.

They'll use the thinner glass, while using the elongated form factor, my best guess. If so, It'll look pretty slick.

The back design... Will probably grow on me (and the rest of us) if it's the legit final design.

Whatever they have to offer, the masses will love it. Look at last year... Ridiculous.

Wiesenlooser
Jun 8, 2012, 02:02 AM
So after all these years..we still have the horrible old ice cream sandwich-like design, when the 3G/S felt much better on the hand. Can't Apple find a good middle ground?

Same here. It's not that the iPhone 4 design isn't pretty. But it's still far from perfect. It doesnt fit very well in the hand. And after all It's getting boring to me.

We've waited 2 years for a revision. and all we get is a lousy upgrade. Apple has to pay attention that it doesn't lose it's design lead.

komodrone
Jun 8, 2012, 02:02 AM
i have a super wild theory

the new iPhone 5 will have a larger, taller screen, but the main screen view will be the same resolution. the extra height in the screen will be dedicated to notifications, call status bars. if there are no notifications, those pixels will be off.

anti-microsoft
Jun 8, 2012, 02:04 AM
Seeing it all in one piece makes it look a lot better. You really couldn't get an idea of what the phone is going to look like with the backplate alone.

VanVeen
Jun 8, 2012, 02:06 AM
What if the new tall screen is for a new layout on the next version of iOS?.. It does not make any sense to me to add that screen space just for an extra row of apps..

Does anyone really need an extra row of apps on their home screen?.. :rolleyes:

bb426
Jun 8, 2012, 02:09 AM

the new iPhone 5 will have a larger, taller screen, but the main screen view will be the same resolution. the extra height in the screen will be dedicated to notifications, call status bars. if there are no notifications, those pixels will be off.

Wild, but it does make you think about your options.

nuckinfutz
Jun 8, 2012, 02:09 AM

Same here. It's not that the iPhone 4 design isn't pretty. But it's still far from perfect. It doesnt fit very well in the hand. And after all It's getting boring to me.

We've waited 2 years for a revision. and all we get is a lousy upgrade. Apple has to pay attention that it doesn't lose it's design lead.

I've got a solution for both of you.

http://icouldcrybutidonthavetime.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/prozac-dont-worry-be-happy.jpg?w=455&h=341

Gav2k
Jun 8, 2012, 02:10 AM
I love the new unibody design, headphone jack placement makes so much more sense too. 16:9 screen works for me too!!

The major upside for me is when people want there screen replaced its the first thing that comes off!

sillypooh
Jun 8, 2012, 02:10 AM
Let's hope not.

bb426
Jun 8, 2012, 02:15 AM
What if the new tall screen is for a new layout on the next version of iOS?.. It does not make any sense to me to add that screen space just for an extra row of apps..

Think about it. It's not just about an extra row of icons.

More viewing space, more room inside, and enables a thinner form factor. 16:9 aspect ratio. Brah. ;)

steve.lawrence
Jun 8, 2012, 02:16 AM
This phone is not happening.

1) Too many leaks. Waaaaay too many leaks for an Apple product. They're a decoy leading us up the garden path, just like the so-called teardrop-shaped iPhone 5 last year. This many leaks just don't happen.

2) Tim Cook recently said in his D10 interview that one of Apple's key strengths with the iOS environment is the lack of fragmentation and specifically mentioned the fact that there aren't heaps of different resolutions for devs to have to code for as a key strength. Why would he say this and then undo it just a few months later.

superman23
Jun 8, 2012, 02:18 AM

so you want a design that is less functional and has a smaller battery, but looks different. got it.

i'd much rather see enclosure designs focus on durability and lightweight materials. dropping an iphone 2 feet onto concrete should not be a several hundred $$ mistake. the fortress cases people put their iphones in are ridiculous.

Dionte
Jun 8, 2012, 02:18 AM
Should those pics say LTE.

angemon89
Jun 8, 2012, 02:19 AM
I love it.

Aaargh!
Jun 8, 2012, 02:19 AM

What if that area is for widgets ? It seems about the same size as the weather/stocks widget on notification center now. Swipe left/right to browse through widgets or pull down for notification/widget center.

Hastings101
Jun 8, 2012, 02:20 AM

That would be weird lol

jimbo1mcm
Jun 8, 2012, 02:21 AM
Pretty easy to answer; The Galaxy S3. Apple is very worried, and if they aren't they should be. They are late to the party. S3 releases in China tomorrow. China has 610,000,000 customers on ONE telecom!!

Nuvi
Jun 8, 2012, 02:21 AM
Seriously, this phone is just ugly / boring. It seems Apple wanted to make sure no one would copy that design... I've have had every single iPhone model ever released but I won't be getting this one. Apple needs to seriously re-work both the hardware design and software. Some minor changes in iOS and design are not enough.

jt562
Jun 8, 2012, 02:23 AM
I can see in october or whenever apple decide to release the iphone everyone being shocked to the design,it happens every year with mock ups etc and almost 100% of the time they are nothing like the real thing. Oh well we will see, although i think the rumours are part of the fun...so keep it up macrumors!

harry74
Jun 8, 2012, 02:24 AM
Some people are saying, the Iphone 4/s design is the best, but with all the Patents Apple is getting in to this world, you would expect a better and other design.
Or, are they already having a Iphone 5S and Iphone 6 Ready for testing ?

Why having a Patent on Glass with a Curve ??, oh yes i forgot the Itv...can also look great with a curved Panel..:)
I think we all expect a Whattttt Woooow level of suprise, but it also can get very disapointing.
I also hope for a better thing than shown above..

nuckinfutz
Jun 8, 2012, 02:26 AM
Pretty easy to answer; The Galaxy S3. Apple is very worried, and if they aren't they should be. They are late to the party. S3 releases in China tomorrow. China has 610,000,000 customers on ONE telecom!!

Apple leaks aren't through shoddy blogging sites and Asian suppliers. It's using through sites like WSJ, All Things Digital or Bloomberg.

Apple isn't a company that's in a position to be fearful. They control their destiny far more than Samsung does.

gatortpk
Jun 8, 2012, 02:26 AM
No way will it look like this. The antennas on the side will not function if connected to a metal backing. The back will be some type of glass. I know they were developing a fibreglass which can have a glossy black finish with x times the strength of gorilla glass.

I'm guessing all the antennas are inside the top and bottom of the phone where it is glass. The middle back plate is aluminum.

I don't think the frame is going to be the GSM, UMTS, etc. antennas anymore. If they are, then of course it won't touch the aluminum backing, and the glass top and bottom will just cover the internal WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, etc. antenna. As it is now, the glass is covering an internal antenna. Yes, that is (likely) a black antenna just under the top of the back glass plate (not visible) in the iPhone 4 and 4S.

I also believe, along with many others that, again, there won't be a teardrop design. It may look cool, but I want a battery that'll last more than 2 hours in there. (A teardrop design seems to take out 30%-50% of the volume, meaning the battery would be less than half the current size.)

canucksfan88
Jun 8, 2012, 02:28 AM
i really wish (if this is the design), that the aspect ratio was kept the same. the device looks too long and un-proportional. i would have liked to see a wider screen not just a taller one

faroZ06
Jun 8, 2012, 02:28 AM
More mockups... sigh.

Abazigal
Jun 8, 2012, 02:32 AM
I'd prefer not. The current design makes it super easy to sit it on its side or bottom for video recording or skype video chats.

Funny you should mention this. I remember when I had to record myself teaching in class once. So I inverted a cardboard box on a desk, then propped my iphone on its side. Caught my whole lesson like a charm. :D

Easier than recording on a video camcorder and still having to export the entire thing.

hirshnoc
Jun 8, 2012, 02:39 AM
Hm, I don't expect the exact same form-factor to be there from the iPhone 4 AND 4S, and here's why:

Apple had not only antenna problems but also HIGH rates of breakage from the original iPhone 4. When they created the 4S, they did it with the same design to cover themselves from any criticism that the design was a poor one.

I don't think that they want to have the same volume of claims of broken front and back glass panels (which ends up costing them money for replacements) on this model. I imagine the 4" is accurate given the move to 1080p, but the iPhone 3G/3GS form factory was much more 'hand-friendly' even though it felt cheaper.

I'd leave it to Apple to create something less break-prone and more 'hand-friendly' in their next model.

Ljohnson72
Jun 8, 2012, 02:40 AM
i really wish (if this is the design), that the aspect ratio was kept the same. the device looks too long and un-proportional. i would have liked to see a wider screen not just a taller one

Agreed. Additionally, people seem to be forgetting that you use your phone in the portrait position the majority of the time, thus having a wider screen would be of great benefit (wider keyboard, for example). Im getting down voted for have the same belief though I have no clue why.

bb426
Jun 8, 2012, 02:41 AM

Not only did you contradict yourself, but I guess you forgot that the S3 won't be the only phone on the market. Let alone a phone that gets as much hype as the iPhone.

pepitko
Jun 8, 2012, 02:43 AM
I still don't like the iPhone being just a bit longer, it looks like it could be called iPhone 4L. I'm happy with a slightly bigger screen but with the same aspect ratio.

miamialley
Jun 8, 2012, 02:44 AM
Uh, that's nearly identical in form to the 4/4s.

tatonka
Jun 8, 2012, 02:47 AM
ooh boy .. that does not look good. I sure hope it looks better in real life.

Also not a big fan of the screen ratio .. I always though it was to narrow not to short .. ah well, September will tell.

T.

Jack97
Jun 8, 2012, 02:52 AM
I feel like I'm the only one who actually likes the design?
Granted, the white one will take a bit of getting used to, but the black one looks sleek, in my opinion if nobody else's.
I think maybe the "two tone" back idea is to reinforce the phone, given the number of complaints they had with the4/4S about the glass smashing. :rolleyes:

pysl
Jun 8, 2012, 02:52 AM
I find that those concept designs done on photoshop by fans look much nicer and futuristic than this. I hope it will have a nicer re-design than just this.

dnferreira
Jun 8, 2012, 02:53 AM
I still think this kind of design it's a little bit against Jony Ive's concept of design of simplicity/funcionality above all. But, this design is growing on me :D nevertheless i'll rather see a back panel totally uniform.

x-evil-x
Jun 8, 2012, 02:54 AM
I am just gonna put it out there... I bet the front will not be as raised as the renderings show. Right now the 4/4S have the glass slightly extended outwards. I can't see them only having that on one side as depicted by the renderings.

They'll use the thinner glass, while using the elongated form factor, my best guess. If so, It'll look pretty slick.

The back design... Will probably grow on me (and the rest of us) if it's the legit final design.

Whatever they have to offer, the masses will love it. Look at last year... Ridiculous.

yea these pictures show the front of it is angled. The 4 and 4/s are flat.
i think the glass in front will be level with the edge of this so the glass fits inside the phone this time not on the outside.

Technarchy
Jun 8, 2012, 02:55 AM
I can live with that design.

I'm not too concerned with the exterior design because I always us a case.

The extra screen-estate, iO6 and features is where my concern is.

Also, I much prefer the clean straight lines and angles of the iPhone 4S/4 design over the angles and contours of the Lumia 900, One X, and Galaxy S III.

Westyfield2
Jun 8, 2012, 02:56 AM
Apple will be taking the stage at WWDC next week, but most observers don't expect Apple to unveil the new iPhone at WWDC. The new iPhone is not expected (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/23/next-iphone-coming-fall-2012-with-lte-3-5-inch-screen/) to be introduced until the fall (September/October).

To me it seems like a bit too many part leaks this early on if it's not being released until fall...

grahamnp
Jun 8, 2012, 02:57 AM
I like the unibody thing and the gun-metal colour, although not very Apple, is still quite nice but that two tone back is awful looking. It's almost like a protective sticker they forgot to peel off.

PodPacker
Jun 8, 2012, 02:58 AM
Looks silly. Great work on the rendering. But really, what are they gonna do, make it something between a phone and a tablet so it is the worst of both worlds? Too big to be comfortable to use as a phone and too small to be useful as a tablet and you can add a stylus to it. Oh wait, this exists already and no one is buying it. It's called the Samsung Galaxy Note.

freddiecable
Jun 8, 2012, 02:58 AM
What is good design? To change it all the time? I'm not saying it is good or bad that it stays like it is or not - I'm just making a rhetorical question.

But - one thing is for sure - even if the current design would be the best ever - customers expect change/improvements.

Another thing - that is for sure - when having the whole world competing with Apples "lead" they sure as hell need to meet the competition in another way than with computers (seldom updates). They should apply the same approach as they did with the iPod = differentiation. They cemented the MP3-player market by differentiation and continuos updating the design of the devices. Apple was always ahead of the game with the iPod. They need to do the same here.

olowott
Jun 8, 2012, 02:59 AM
Very Good renderings of the rumoured "iPhone 5"

:rolleyes:so cant wait till apple shows us something completely different or new rumours of a different design shows up as this one rumours is really hmmmmm :rolleyes: we getting accustom to it.

overall
Jun 8, 2012, 03:06 AM
It does not make sense: where us the external Antenna? So if it's Ububody, fair enough, but then either there is an internal set of antennas or, being thin Aluminium, an external S/S antenna slips over this case. And that does not seem elegant.

Or it's a nice decoy.

sweetchilliphil
Jun 8, 2012, 03:08 AM
Yeah... Reeeeally doubtful about that two tone look. Looks terrible.

I'd also be a little, just a tiny bit, disappointed that there wasn't a new design. Some curves here or there, something else. But not overly disappointed. I do quite like the current design for what it is.

Other than that, I'm pretty amped for a slightly larger screen!

aleni
Jun 8, 2012, 03:09 AM
i think the glass in front will be level with the edge of this so the glass fits inside the phone this time not on the outside.

if the glass is level with the edge, then my dream comes true, because it will look like the most sleekest phone in the world!

hope there will be no 2 tones on the back, but one can only hope because the antenna is no longer on the outside frame, they moved it inside at the top for radio and bottom for wifi (maybe) so they need some covers that don't block the signal going through.

Fuzzygoat
Jun 8, 2012, 03:11 AM
Does anyone know what the limitation is with not making the screen not go right to the left/right edge? (i.e. with a reduced 1.5mm or 2mm border). I love this design, but I think running the screen right up to the edges would really help.

Its also worth pointing out that that once a product reaches a certain "accepted" design changes to the actual form factor or usually more evolutionary than revolutionary. Take the MacBook Pro, I have a G4 purchased in 2002 and superficially its the same as a MacBook Pro today, clam shell, keyboard, trackpad. The revolution comes primarily from software (OSX of iOS) running on improved hardware, not from simply having a new form factor.

x-evil-x
Jun 8, 2012, 03:12 AM
if the glass is level with the edge, then my dream comes true, because it will look like the most sleekest phone in the world!

hope there will be no 2 tones on the back, but one can only hope because the antenna is no longer on the outside frame, they moved it inside at the top for radio and bottom for wifi (maybe) so they need some covers that don't block the signal going through.

in that picture i posted do you see the groove inside the phone? thats where the glass sits I'm thinking. I think if its true it would save a lot of cracked phones because sticking out glass is a no no.
if you drop that phone more then likely it will hit the aluminum part or side of it not the glass.

iPadPublisher
Jun 8, 2012, 03:15 AM
I like this new back vs. the glass on both sides, but if the phone is simply taller than my 4S I think this will be the first time I pass.

Of course "one more thing" may change my mind, but I just don't get the same must-have feeling lookin' at that render.

androvboy
Jun 8, 2012, 03:16 AM
I still don't get why everyone grizzles about it being taller? The phone itself is only about 1cm taller and then they make better use of the space to add a bigger screen.

Look at your current 4 or 4S and there is rather a lot of wasted space that could be used for screen (mainly top but also bottom).

In my ideal world the complete FRONT of the phone would be screen basically.

macduke
Jun 8, 2012, 03:16 AM
Looks like the render at the top of this article accidentally left the noise canceling mic on the top of the black iPhone. But they kept it in the new position on the back in the video rendering.

I think this is close. I bet the black model has matching dark metal buttons and the front glass will be a little thinner.

I love this design for a few reasons:

1. Black band is gorgeous! I've always wanted an iPhone with black metal. This will be hard for me to justify putting in a case!

2. New bottom is logical. Smaller dock so less junk gets in. Larger speaker for hopefully better quality. Headphone jack on bottom so the cord doesn't get in the way during normal operation. Makes the top so clean! Beautiful.

3. New 4" screen that extends vertically. See more content while requiring minimal updates for most applications. Keyboard still the same size while seeing more area above it. Maybe they will finally squeeze in a number row?

4. FaceTime camera centered. Small change that looks cleaner and is a little more functional.

5. Back camera/mic/flash arrangement. Makes for cleaner top (especially on cases that have top cutouts for the hole). This has the added benefit of better recording quality for video, while also providing separation for the flash unit from the camera, which would sometimes interfere with eachother, especially with certain cases.

6. Overall elongated form factor. This allows for a bigger battery to compensate for LTE and more.

7. New back plate. This design seems much sturdier. The glass back on current iPhones are my least favorite attribute—even if it does look kind of nice. I think the finish on this new design looks great and the top/bottom plastic seems a nice symmetrical fit compared to the first gen iPhone of a similar idea.

I would very much like to purchase one now. I'm thinking a mid to late August launch. Or perhaps go back to the early September iPod event releases? But not as late as last year. My gut says August. I'd also like a nano-esque iWatch that stays connected to my The New iPhone to deliver alerts, control music and let me activate and use Siri through a built-in mic.

Also—what are the chances of 32GB/64GB models for only $199/299? Though I'd prefer 128GB for $399. But that is very, very unlikely.

cosmic68
Jun 8, 2012, 03:17 AM
Unfortunately i feel underwhelmed.

I remember when Gizmodo leaked the iPhone4-there where a lot of people saying it looked awful, but I really liked it (and loved the final product).
I was hoping for wider and taller too. Not by much, but the current screen a bit too small for my crofty old eyes.

I do also believe this is will it will look like-too many leaks, despite the protest on here. People will gobble it up.
Remember the universal disappointment when Steve introduced the iPad? Look how badly that product's gone for them :rolleyes:

Anki
Jun 8, 2012, 03:17 AM
I just need the screen to be wider too. Some websites are a pain to read and it would be strange for Apple to think people only need a taller screen.

If this is the real thing it will be the phone I buy when my 4 is worn out betond recovery and hopefully that'll be years away.

iPadPublisher
Jun 8, 2012, 03:21 AM
But really, what are they gonna do, make it something between a phone and a tablet so it is the worst of both worlds? Too big to be comfortable to use as a phone and too small to be useful as a tablet and you can add a stylus to it. Oh wait, this exists already and no one is buying it. It's called the Samsung Galaxy Note.

Heh... I would have voted for wider vs. taller (or a proportional, diagonal more like it). Taller just screams as weird to me.

"We knew you wanted more icons on a single screen... so booh yeah, here it is..." just doesn't sound like Apple.

Tim did say they were gonna double-down on secrecy. Wouldn't it be neat if all these leaked parts and rumors were meant to track who is leaking what, and the new design is very very different from what we're seeing? Hmm!

cosmic68
Jun 8, 2012, 03:23 AM
Tim did say they were gonna double-down on secrecy. Wouldn't it be neat if all these leaked parts and rumors were meant to track who is leaking what, and the new design is very very different from what we're seeing? Hmm!

Please be right!

smiddlehurst
Jun 8, 2012, 03:29 AM
Assume for a moment that these are real, parts leaks now do NOT mean it'll be released next week. After all the iPad 3 was in production for three months before it was announced just so Apple could build up stock levels for launch.

As to the render I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if that's what the iPhone 5 looks like. Keeps the instantly recognizable aspects of the 4/4s while feeling fresh, the reduced 'dead space' at the top and bottom look good and you keep the solid feel of the current design. Frankly I think this concept of 'radical redesign every time' is a tad silly anyway, Apple have hit a design language with the 4 that people love and that really does stand out from everything else, why not keep it?

bchang100
Jun 8, 2012, 03:30 AM
Looks like the render at the top of this article accidentally left the noise canceling mic on the top of the black iPhone. But they kept it in the new position on the back in the video rendering.

I think this is close. I bet the black model has matching dark metal buttons and the front glass will be a little thinner.

1. Black band is gorgeous! I've always wanted an iPhone with black metal. This will be hard for me to justify putting in a case!

2. New bottom is logical. Smaller dock so less junk gets in. Larger speaker for hopefully better quality. Headphone jack on bottom so the cord doesn't get in the way during normal operation. Makes the top so clean! Beautiful.

3. New 4" screen that extends vertically. See more content while requiring minimal updates for most applications. Keyboard still the same size while seeing more area above it. Maybe they will finally squeeze in a number row?

4. FaceTime camera centered. Small change that looks cleaner and is a little more functional.

5. Back camera/mic/flash arrangement. Makes for cleaner top (especially on cases that have top cutouts for the hole). This has the added benefit of better recording quality for video, while also providing separation for the flash unit from the camera, which would sometimes interfere with eachother, especially with certain cases.

6. Overall elongated form factor. This allows for a bigger battery to compensate for LTE and more.

7. New back plate. This design seems much sturdier. The glass back on current iPhones are my least favorite attribute—even if it does look kind of nice. I think the finish on this new design looks great and the top/bottom plastic seems a nice symmetrical fit compared to the first gen iPhone of a similar idea.

I would very much like to purchase one now. I'm thinking a mid to late August launch. Or perhaps go back to the early September iPod event releases? But not as late as last year. My gut says August. I'd also like a nano-esque iWatch that stays connected to my The New iPhone to deliver alerts, control music and let me activate and use Siri through a built-in mic.

Also—what are the chances of 32GB/64GB models for only $199/299? Though I'd prefer 128GB for $399. But that is very, very unlikely.

AMEN!!!!! This guy is thinking straight! 90% of yous all complaining about the similarity of the phone or the two tone crap, Apple always makes design changes for the best and for logical reasons as the ones listed by Macduke what is the point for a teardrop design??? thered be less battery life in that and wasted space due to the curvature of the phone

Im sure Apple elongated the phone for OS reasons aswell maybe a whole new interface to take advantage of the space like permanent space for a onscreen menu

Xcallibur
Jun 8, 2012, 03:34 AM
...also worth pointing out that that once a product reaches a certain "accepted" design changes to the actual form factor or usually more evolutionary than revolutionary. Take the MacBook Pro, I have a G4 purchased in 2002 and superficially its the same as a MacBook Pro today, clam shell, keyboard, trackpad. The revolution comes primarily from software (OSX of iOS) running on improved hardware, not from simply having a new form factor.

Spot on in my opinion, why change what is the most simple and perfected design just for changes sake; they should only change the design if a hardware/software component (such as the screen ratio) changes, therefore an adjustment in the aesthetic is appropriate.

----------

Heh... I would have voted for wider vs. taller (or a proportional, diagonal more like it). Taller just screams as weird to me.

"We knew you wanted more icons on a single screen... so booh yeah, here it is..." just doesn't sound like Apple.

16:9, perfect for consumption of media.

Mackan
Jun 8, 2012, 03:35 AM
The metallic backside looks like it's going to to scratch rather immediately.

HimOffTheTelly
Jun 8, 2012, 03:36 AM
I like the black one, a lot. I'm getting so that I'd be more disappointed, as a big fan of the iPhone 4, if the next iPhone DOESN'T look like this. I don't think I want a mini-iPad shape, or a teardrop, or an overgrown iPod Touch, or whatever. It would take quite some getting used to if faced with such a radical change. A simple evolution of the classic glass flat slab design will do just nicely. It (quite literally) has "iPhone" written all over it, and this design might just happen.

deftdrummer
Jun 8, 2012, 03:36 AM
The glass had better be flush on the front.

lannisters4life
Jun 8, 2012, 03:38 AM
Can anyone tell me what the screen ratio is of the new longer screen?

saving107
Jun 8, 2012, 03:38 AM
To me it seems like a bit too many part leaks this early on if it's not being released until fall...

iPhone 3G parts began to leak in April 2008, iPhone 3G released 3 months later in July.
http://iphonefreakz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/123813-3gback.png

iPhone 3GS parts leaked in February 2009, iPhone 3GS released 4 months later in June, 2009
http://images.appleinsider.com/iphone2009collage.jpg

iPhone 4 leaked in April 2010, iPhone 4 released 2 months later in June 2010
http://www.panache.in/images/iphone_4g_uncovered1.jpg

iPhone 4S parts leaked in August 2011, iPhone 4S released 2 months later on October, 2011
http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/iphone-4s.jpg
http://www.macpost.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/iphone-4s-side1.jpg

So the timing is about right, parts leak now and we get a new iPhone 2-3 months later (right about the time iOS 6 should be wrapping up its beta testing process).

HarryKeogh
Jun 8, 2012, 03:40 AM
It looks pretty damn nice to me.

But let's face it. There's only so many ways to design a thin,rectangular box. I haven't gotten super-excited about any phone manufacturer's designs in a while.

You know what would really get me excited about the new iPhone? A forward delete key and maybe a button that lets you jump forward 30 seconds at a time when you're watching video instead of having to rely on sliding your finger only to have it move to the wrong point as you lift your finger away arghhhhhhh!

AppleBoyFreak
Jun 8, 2012, 03:40 AM
I actually really loved the renderings, both the white and the black. :rolleyes: :eek:

iEvolution
Jun 8, 2012, 03:41 AM
I think it looks neat but I guess I'm in the minority. I think the two tone looks good.

..and by making it taller doesn't it make it "wider" in portrait mode?

It's funny though everyone is so negative with the rumors about anything and everything rumored to come out from Apple, yet when the products are released the sales tell a totally different story.

sharpycl
Jun 8, 2012, 03:44 AM
I really like this phone!

I'm not sure exactly how else apple can redesign the iPhone but why redesign something that is considered to be iconic? This current mockup which is based on "leaked parts", seems to answer some of the common complaints such as an aluminum body with a glass 4" screen.

I love the headphone jack being on the bottom.. Where it should be.

I am one who will be buying this phone at launch.

HimOffTheTelly
Jun 8, 2012, 03:45 AM
What if that area is for widgets ? It seems about the same size as the weather/stocks widget on notification center now. Swipe left/right to browse through widgets or pull down for notification/widget center.

A very sensible idea.

kiwiboi87
Jun 8, 2012, 03:46 AM
i hope its like this,
i love the 4/4s

theres something very nice about it,
it feels nice to hold,
and looks perfect

andyjam
Jun 8, 2012, 03:47 AM
Does this mean we will be getting gunmetal black MBA's?? Oh god that would be nice.

Dannydekr
Jun 8, 2012, 03:51 AM
It's almost certain that the new iPhone will be very similair to this render. It takes a long time to test a new design, so even when they release it in october, you can bet on it that this is the time that parts can leak out, which I believe happened with the back-plate..

Although I like the design, I think that a lot of people will be dissapointed because it'll look a lot like their iPhone 4/4s. It's basicly a longer version with a metal back-plate instead of a glass one. Also some changes to the bottom, but that's about it.

Remember last year, when the tapered design was all over the place? Very innovative design to say the least. I wonder what happened to it, because I'm sure it came from Apple somehow.

iEvolution
Jun 8, 2012, 03:55 AM
I am one who will be buying this phone at launch.

Ditto, unless of course the iPod touch gets some similar love this year.. Even then I am due for a phone upgrade and am out of contract with tmobile and since tmobile doesn't seem to care to get the iPhone I'll be moving to sprint for the unlimited plan, even if it's slower than AT&T & Verizon. A huge straw on a drink does no good if the cup can only hold 4 oz. of liquid.

MythicFrost
Jun 8, 2012, 03:58 AM

3) I'd much rather have a 4 inch display which maintains proportions so apps don't need updating at all -- aside from higher resolution assets (if applicable). I don't like the idea of having black borders on my apps until their updated. Apple could do a 960x640 4 inch display with 288 PPI, or better a 1440x960 4 inch display with 432 PPI. It'd leave plenty of room to increase the size again later on as well.

Toml2003
Jun 8, 2012, 04:00 AM
I'm going to be disappointed if these leaks are true. It's looks to similar. I don't want the tear drop, I'd like an iPad 2 style back. It would be more comfortable to hold and look awesome. I also don't like the idea of changing the aspect ratio, almost finished my first game app to the current screen size.

gadget123
Jun 8, 2012, 04:04 AM
Sorry but I think it's fake.

I think Apple will go with a 4" screen but same dock connector, aluminium back and slim teardrop design like iPad.

Anki
Jun 8, 2012, 04:12 AM
3) I'd much rather have a 4 inch display which maintains proportions so apps don't need updating at all -- aside from higher resolution assets (if applicable). I don't like the idea of having black borders on my apps until their updated. Apple could do a 960x640 4 inch display with 288 PPI, or better a 1440x960 4 inch display with 432 PPI. It'd leave plenty of room to increase the size again later on as well.

The black borders will be THE space for ads. :(

mungo2k
Jun 8, 2012, 04:13 AM
Funny how Apple ditched the flat-edge design on the iPad but are keeping it for the iPhone. This new design looks good but it's iOS they need to move on a bit. I played with a HTC One X the other day and there's some features on there way ahead of Apple, particularly all the camera functions.

And I'm not sure I want another row of app icons on the home screen, I struggle to find the one I want already. They could have put a hundred small icons on the iPad home screen and chose not to - good decision. They need to move the home screen forward a bit now to something more visual and interactive.

nuckinfutz
Jun 8, 2012, 04:18 AM
Likely won't see any drastic case designs until Liquid Metal is ready to roll out on a larger scale.

maviso5
Jun 8, 2012, 04:18 AM
+1 to whoever made that rendering, nice quality.

I'm happy with the current design, so although the new teardrop design looks cool, I won't care if it isn't that.

Augure
Jun 8, 2012, 04:29 AM
As a pure Apple geek (a geek but who has been using Apple for years), this is the end of an era for me.

I've followed Apple since I was 8 (a Macintosh offered by my parents), had lots of iPod, Power/Macbook and iMacs.

But since the iPhone 4S, iPad 3, OSX Lion and not-changing Macbooks and iPod Touch, AND Steve Jobs death, Apple is dead to me. Not to the mainstream market it has reached now but for the people who have made the success of the brand this is clearly the end and I'm starting to be one of many to know it.

beowulf70
Jun 8, 2012, 04:31 AM
The two tone backside looks better in this video rendering than the previous visuals.... it's growing on me.
I'm buying it anyway. :rolleyes:

bobob
Jun 8, 2012, 04:33 AM
Looks like that doubling down on security is in full swing.

cambox
Jun 8, 2012, 04:34 AM
Hate to say this as I love Apple design and IOS, but its looking dated against the competition, also the Iphone 4s already looks outdated against some of the Samsung offerings. I was given a phone from a client last week as my 4s decided to stop working again, but when I gave the Galaxy back I actually was shocked at how much I missed it.. The Iphone was slower and smaller and too light!!

beowulf70
Jun 8, 2012, 04:35 AM
Funny how Apple ditched the flat-edge design on the iPad but are keeping it for the iPhone. This new design looks good but it's iOS they need to move on a bit. I played with a HTC One X the other day and there's some features on there way ahead of Apple, particularly all the camera functions.

And I'm not sure I want another row of app icons on the home screen, I struggle to find the one I want already. They could have put a hundred small icons on the iPad home screen and chose not to - good decision. They need to move the home screen forward a bit now to something more visual and interactive.

The renders we are seeing here are only a 3D interpretation of the 3D parts leaked. Nobody knows for sure what the interface will look like.... don't assume anything. :cool:

nuckinfutz
Jun 8, 2012, 04:37 AM
As a pure Apple geek (a geek but who has been using Apple for years), this is the end of an era for me.

I've followed Apple since I was 8 (a Macintosh offered by my parents), had lots of iPod, Power/Macbook and iMacs.

But since the iPhone 4S, iPad 3, OSX Lion and not-changing Macbooks and iPod Touch, AND Steve Jobs death, Apple is dead to me. Not to the mainstream market it has reached now but for the people who have made the success of the brand this is clearly the end and I'm starting to be one of many to know it.

Oh stop it! You had me going there for a minute :p

----------

hate to say this as i love apple design and ios, but its looking dated against the competition, also the iphone 4s already looks outdated against some of the samsung offerings. I was given a phone from a client last week as my 4s decided to stop working again, but when i gave the galaxy back i actually was shocked at how much i missed it.. The iphone was slower and smaller and too light!!

lol

champ01
Jun 8, 2012, 04:43 AM

But since the iPhone 4S Best Phone ever. iPad 3 Best tablet ever. OSX Lion Ok Lion could be better. and not-changing Macbooks and iPod Touch All new Mac's are coming next week, AND Steve Jobs death People die everyday but you could at least give credit to Steve Jobs that he made sure the best talent are still working for Appple. Apple is dead to me. You sound like someone who can never be satisfied no matter what Apple brings next.

marty177
Jun 8, 2012, 04:47 AM
I would be gobsmacked if Apple allowed the back to look like that. I understand if Apple doesn't doa massive overhaul of the design, unless there is a good reason. But to have a segregated design for the back like that ... it would be unbelievable to me.

Jibbajabba
Jun 8, 2012, 04:47 AM
I'd bet my life savings that the same anti-apple-iPhone-pro-Android people are the ones queuing all night to be the first ones buying the new iPhone, no matter how it looks like. So funny - same happened with some blokes here hating the 4S upgrade but being the first ones buying it haha

Eriamjh1138@DAN
Jun 8, 2012, 04:55 AM
It's the iphone 4SS.

nuckinfutz
Jun 8, 2012, 04:56 AM
It's the iphone 4SS.

Is that how people with a stutter say it?

:D

djrod
Jun 8, 2012, 04:59 AM

Don't for get to close the door in your way out!

NEWUSER77
Jun 8, 2012, 05:01 AM
Likely won't see any drastic case designs until Liquid Metal is ready to roll out on a larger scale.

Please excuse my ignorance, but why exactly will Liquid Metal enable drastic case design changes?

What sort of design would utilise the qualities of Liquid Metal, that no other more cost effective material could provide?

A unibody enclosure? Surely a true unibody enclosure is not possible unless a phone case is made entirely from glass? as presumably you always need a transparent display screen.

With Liquid Metal, I suspect it gets mentioned more than it deserves simply because it has a cool name.

Apologies if I've misunderstood this, perhaps someone could clarify.

Pinkiy
Jun 8, 2012, 05:08 AM
It's the iphone 4SS.

you mean iPhone 4sSL (Super Long)

i dont like the new aspect ratio of the design personally, would prefer it if it went out a bit as well up as up. Looks like a high tech flip flop :)

arbitter
Jun 8, 2012, 05:08 AM
I don't think the glass will be that thick, and especially not layered on top. I think it will be inside the metal casing, so there's no glass sticking out.

Overall I'm no fan of the bigger screen. Do really all smartphones have to be a million inches? I don't understand how people fit a S3 or whatever high-end 4inch screen or more inside their pockets. Inside one pocket okay. But not in all my pants. Do you all wear elephant pants with pockets the size of NY?

I always liked the iPhone for being small. That's a phone that can easily fit in all my pockets, like my iPod touch. I like that the phone doesn't get any wider, but the lengh, meh. I'll have to hold one to be sure ofcourse. I've never liked the trend of huge phones. Ofcourse S3 phones and stuff are thin, if you roll dough and you roll it flat you have very flat dough but it's huuuuge. And I still can't get over Apple going to fragment the screensize.

As for the rest of the design, I quite like the look of the black one, and I surely like te 'unibody' style of the back and sides. Headphone jack in the bottom is a plus I'm guessing.

If this is the phone that gets announced next week or in a few months, I don't know. Looks like the iPhone 4S with perhaps a better camera experience and more Siri features. And ofcourse a ew exterior (hopefully). But her needs to be something more, a real one more thing, something that'll make the iPhone stand out in the crowd of smartpones... I still don't see why an iPhone is better spec'd than any other high-end smartphone. Apple has got so many resources, financial and employment, why not go full-throttle?

SpyderBite
Jun 8, 2012, 05:09 AM
People crack me up. The next iPhone could have everything that the vocal minority demanded AND come with a $1000 cashiers check & the same vocal minority would complain that it wasn't $1001.

nuckinfutz
Jun 8, 2012, 05:13 AM
Please excuse my ignorance, but why exactly will Liquid Metal enable drastic case design changes?

What sort of design would utilise the qualities of Liquid Metal, that no other more cost effective material could provide?

A unibody enclosure? Surely a true unibody enclosure is not possible unless a phone case is made entirely from glass? as presumably you always need a transparent display screen.

With Liquid Metal, I suspect it gets mentioned more than it deserves simply because it has a cool name.

Apologies for I've misunderstood this, perhaps someone could clarify.

Judging from the videos on their website I'll summarize what I think I heard.

If you look at cases with rounded edges, bulges for camera and other features you'll notice they're all made of plastic. Getting organic shapes in plastic is easy with injection molds and other processes but plastic isn't very strong.

You cannot cast aluminum and other metals into intricate shapes because they crystalize and this causes faults and weakness.

Liquid Metal gives the best blend of both. It's liquid form allows it to be shaped far more exotically yet when it hardens it is stronger and does not crystallize.

Not sure how helpful this is but look at the energy transfer of LM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOHoRdgx4uA incredible.

Tymmz
Jun 8, 2012, 05:19 AM
i like the 4/4S design very much and if they can get rid of the glass back i will be even more happy.

i wonder if the taller screen will mean longer battery life due to more space in general or if the bigger screen will eat up any potential gains.

MH01
Jun 8, 2012, 05:22 AM
Prefer the current iphone 4, if the 5 is just longer, that's disappointing and kinda lame update from the 4S. So much for innovation, seems Apple is just tweaking all their designs. Come Monday it will probably be the same old with just Ivy Bridge and USB 3.

Michael Scrip
Jun 8, 2012, 05:26 AM

If this new aspect ratio lasts as long as the old one... you only have to deal with radical changes like this once every 5 years.

Yeah... it would be nice if Apple kept the same aspect ratio.... but oh well. Apps will be updated in a short time and we'll all move on.

Remember the switch to Retina? It happened... we all survived... and it's now a part of history.

OllyW
Jun 8, 2012, 05:28 AM
You cannot cast aluminum and other metals into intricate shapes because they crystalize and this causes faults and weakness.

Aluminium castings...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MJS9r6kLmiY/TPZxxz_bXnI/AAAAAAAAACY/6lw2Kc5M4P4/s1600/10.jpg

I'm sure a simple phone case is already doable. ;)

nuckinfutz
Jun 8, 2012, 05:31 AM
Grin

I should have clarified. LM is supposed to offer an pretty solid ratio of weight/strength.

Though I think you adeptly point out why it appears aluminum is still the king.

BornAgainMac
Jun 8, 2012, 05:34 AM
I have upgraded to every model of the iPhone but I think I'll pass on this one. The screen is a little bigger but it seems more like a small tweak. Knowing Apple, they will come out with a more feature rich Siri or extended map feature that requires the iPhone 5 CPU or Mic upgrade.

ChrisTX
Jun 8, 2012, 05:35 AM
I've just got to say people really LOVE the iPhone. I run a retail business, so I'm constantly checking to see what phones people carry, and I'd have to say(unscientific guess) that 75% of our customers use iPhone. So I'd have to agree, whatever Apple brings, they need to BRING IT! I desperately need to replace my iPhone 4 BAD!!! :D

BvizioN
Jun 8, 2012, 05:36 AM
Apple had not only antenna problems but also HIGH rates of breakage from the original iPhone 4. .

What do people actually do with these phones, play ball games? I have had 3 iPhones so far since 2007 and never droped one!! And i do lots of sports and outdoor activities!

Personaly i don't see this design happening! Just like the teardrop design last year.

sineplex
Jun 8, 2012, 05:45 AM
as far as esthetics go like many here i'm not really sure about buying the 'longer screen' with same aspect ratio. time will tell...

mdriftmeyer
Jun 8, 2012, 05:53 AM
Judging from the videos on their website I'll summarize what I think I heard.

If you look at cases with rounded edges, bulges for camera and other features you'll notice they're all made of plastic. Getting organic shapes in plastic is easy with injection molds and other processes but plastic isn't very strong.

Liquid Metal gives the best blend of both. It's liquid form allows it to be shaped far more exotically yet when it hardens it is stronger and does not crystallize.

Not sure how helpful this is but look at the energy transfer of LM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOHoRdgx4uA incredible.

Not bad, but as a Mechanical Engineer you must mention the different Lattice structures of the Aluminum versus liquid metal, it's stress/strain chart differences, it's hardness test results, different tensile strength and it's electroconductive properties, corrosion resistance differences, elasticity and brittleness, etc., that ultimately comes from its unique alloy lattice structure.

stevedun
Jun 8, 2012, 06:02 AM
I was weary about the 2-tone backplate rumors, but it looks nice in the mock up. I'd be very happy if the iPhone 5 looked like this, as I think the 4 design is damn near perfect. A little thinner and a little taller works for me.

I hope they're a little more creative with any added screen real-estate though. I don't need another row of icons. What I would like, however, is a row-sized widget area at the top of the screen. A weather widget, RSS feed, live sport scores, etc... Swipe to scroll through active widgets.

Anyway, thumbs up on the mock up.

foodog
Jun 8, 2012, 06:03 AM
This is coming before the end of summer...usually with leaks like these parts, the phone is already in production...I'm guess late July/August.

It will be a long wait for you this year too.

arbitter
Jun 8, 2012, 06:14 AM
Remember the switch to Retina? It happened... we all survived... and it's now a part of history.

The retina wasn't really a problem was it. Non-retina games run on a retine screen, retina games run on a non-retina screen, without issues or black strips on the sides of the screen. It's something completely different.

But I do agree that, if the screen ratio is changed, eventually apps will be updated, but it doesn't cover the fact that all developpers will have to consider both screen sizes the coming years, as the iPhone 4S and 4 and even 3G are still much used, and will most certainly still be in stores for another year, as lower-entry model.

Trhodezy
Jun 8, 2012, 06:15 AM
Has anyone got another download link for the Zip file?

GDrive is stopping people from accessing it due to high visit volume...

..yet again, Google doing what they do best, nothing.

clibinarius
Jun 8, 2012, 06:16 AM
Does anyone remember the iPhone 4S leak from January 2011? Nah...

iapplelove
Jun 8, 2012, 06:17 AM

I disagree about the phone already being in production. My guess is if these parts are actually real they came from the production line of where those parts are produced.

Sept/Oct it is imo

DudeDad
Jun 8, 2012, 06:32 AM
I love my white iPhone, but if the back looks like that, I'm going to have to get a black one.

nb4 that's what she said... :rolleyes:

I would guess that 95% of all iPhone users buy a case...so does it really matter what the back looks like under the case?

Pez555
Jun 8, 2012, 06:33 AM
still too much bezel.

DudeDad
Jun 8, 2012, 06:34 AM
I think that some prototype designs are leaked by apple to get the buzz going and to not take away from the real reveal...this may be the real deal, but if it's not, it's not a surprise. I love my iPhone 4...if the new one doesn't look remarkably different, I'm fine with it...provided it offers LTE, a faster experience and decent battery life. I think too many have expectations that the next "one" of any Apple product has to be something earth-shattering....

MacRumorUser
Jun 8, 2012, 06:40 AM
Does anyone have a link to the Zip file that is not on google docs as they are getting hammered and I'm unable to retrieve it.

Thanks.

vixducis
Jun 8, 2012, 06:40 AM
I know everyone's aching for a bigger iPhone display for years, but I can't help myself thinking they should wait until they can stick a 720p display in there. We all know what a change in resolution would lead to for developers. Therefore, I'd wait till you want to radically change everything.

I'm wondering if they'll announce this on monday, and if not, if they'll announce the new screen resolution so devs can prepare themselves. Either way, iOS6 betas will began popping up with a mention of the new resolution very soon.

I know one thing: if this is not the new iPhone and they won't fit it a bigger screen in it, everyone's going to go mad as hell.

E.Lizardo
Jun 8, 2012, 06:55 AM
Apple would never make a phone with those black lines on the side!

on wait...

MythicFrost
Jun 8, 2012, 06:56 AM
If this new aspect ratio lasts as long as the old one... you only have to deal with radical changes like this once every 5 years.

Yeah... it would be nice if Apple kept the same aspect ratio.... but oh well. Apps will be updated in a short time and we'll all move on.

It's not about the aspect ratio, or the resolution. The question is will Apple increase the size of the iPhone again? Back in 2007 the real smartphone era was only beginning, but now it's thriving; they can't afford to wait another five years before they make the screen bigger again.

There's over 600,000 iPhone apps. That's going to take a long time to transition, and it's not anywhere near as simple as when things went "retina", as all the developers had to do was provide higher resolution assets.

Whatever Apple does -- they can't afford to run apps with black borders every year or two when they introduce a new screen size. They either have to go to 1440x960 and continue their trend of seamless resolution increases, or go Android's way of supporting variable resolutions.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 8, 2012, 07:00 AM
Do we know what the materials are on the back? Is the metal aluminum? Is the black/white part glass or plastic?

----------

Whatever Apple does -- they can't afford to run apps with black borders every year or two when they introduce a new screen size. They either have to go to 1440x960 and continue their trend of seamless resolution increases, or go Android's way of supporting variable resolutions.

why in the world would apple update the screen size every year or two? It took 5 years to change the screen the first time. Plus human hands aren't growing in size... I anticipate this will be the screen size for a long time

atticus27
Jun 8, 2012, 07:02 AM
I hope they go back to some type of plastic or aluminum back. the glass cracks to easy

mitso
Jun 8, 2012, 07:04 AM
I'm guessing all the antennas are inside the top and bottom of the phone where it is glass. The middle back plate is aluminum.

I don't think the frame is going to be the GSM, UMTS, etc. antennas anymore. If they are, then of course it won't touch the aluminum backing, and the glass top and bottom will just cover the internal WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, etc. antenna. As it is now, the glass is covering an internal antenna. Yes, that is (likely) a black antenna just under the top of the back glass plate (not visible) in the iPhone 4 and 4S.

I also believe, along with many others that, again, there won't be a teardrop design. It may look cool, but I want a battery that'll last more than 2 hours in there. (A teardrop design seems to take out 30%-50% of the volume, meaning the battery would be less than half the current size.)

A middle back plate made of aluminum does not makes sense. What is the advantage of having this small portion made out of aluminium? Although these are the negatives:

Strength - 3 pieces fused together will be a lot weaker than one solid piece. Even if only gorilla glass.
RF - Metal in close proximity significantly impacts the RF radiation pattern. You cannot fit GSM, wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS and have it work reliably in the two small windows above and below an aluminium mid backing. So a metal back is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Although I do agree with your Teardrop analogy. The new design will be fairly square.

blackcrayon
Jun 8, 2012, 07:14 AM
I have upgraded to every model of the iPhone but I think I'll pass on this one. The screen is a little bigger but it seems more like a small tweak. Knowing Apple, they will come out with a more feature rich Siri or extended map feature that requires the iPhone 5 CPU or Mic upgrade.

Pretty much every smartphone upgrade consists of: faster cpu, faster gpu, better camera, better wireless network tech, and in this case (iPhone '5') likely better battery life.

If you're looking for something other than those things, I think you'll be disappointed every year.

KOLDY
Jun 8, 2012, 07:16 AM
I agree....I look at all the other companies making phones and they are around the 4.5inch area and if Apple is only going to come out with a 4inch screen without a new design. I'm going back to Android that HTC One X is great big screen, can search and use the internet better along with doing emails for work. There needs to be significant upgrades for me NOT to switch and i love my iPhone.

pipasforjaz
Jun 8, 2012, 07:19 AM
I think it looks great, there is a video on YouTube of a guy comparing the new iPhone unibody design with the 4S and it really looks like it is going to be a great new iPhone, many changes, it will be longer, not wider, so still easy to hold in your hand, the headphone jack changes position, the sim card tray is smaller, the charging port is much smaller, the speaker grill is different, it is thinner. And then imagine all the internal up dates that will happen, for sure faster processors, better antennas, faster networking, better and bigger screen, better cameras, both front and back, probably better and biger battery, better mics, then also all the new software, like a non Beta Siri, etc... I did not get the 4S, but the new iPhone I am for sure going to buy.

Thunderhawks
Jun 8, 2012, 07:23 AM
that video needs some music.

There are several songs called:

JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH

which would fit for all the spec hounds and "cool" people who always need a new design with every available technology, ready or not and then they put it in a case LOL.

Lukeyy19
Jun 8, 2012, 07:25 AM
Uh, that's nearly identical in form to the 4/4s.

Oh no! what are we going to do! how will people glancing in our direction know that we are actually far superior to them because we have the latest iPhone if it looks too similar to previous versions?

I love the iPhone 4's design, so why fix something that isn't broke?

black743
Jun 8, 2012, 07:25 AM
Could someone just post some of the images in the file. I can't get to their site, or to google docs to see any of the 76 photos.

viewfly
Jun 8, 2012, 07:29 AM
The most interior volume will be with a rectangular design (for the same size) than some teardrop. I like it. What would you want a circle? Not too much variance allowed if you wish to keep it small and give the move inside space.

I guess if the back middle is metal (removing the interior unibody metal structural support to the back plane for a larger battery), the top and bottom have to be glass for the top/bottom U antenna's to be insulated.

The length is the same size as my Morphie Juice Pack. I'm use to that. The width has to be the same to give a true HD screen (as most top Android have). Making it wider too, would only require it to be longer as well to keep the HD ratio. Don't want that.

I would ONLY wish that somehow the front glass EDGES are better protected from a drop. That has always been a weak point in the design, IMO, the glass being exposed. Drop it on the corner and the glass breaks.

Overall, it is a nice design. Then again, I spend most of my time using the phone, not starring at it from a distance...

Kaibelf
Jun 8, 2012, 07:30 AM
Didn't we waste lots of time last year on this kind of baseless speculation?

h1r0ll3r
Jun 8, 2012, 07:33 AM
Wider, not taller. Looks likes an iPhone 4 stretched out. Not happy.

1080p
Jun 8, 2012, 07:33 AM
Oh no! what are we going to do! how will people glancing in our direction know that we are actually far superior to them because we have the latest iPhone if it looks too similar to previous versions?

That is absolutely true. Even by today's standards of smartphone design, the 4/4S is still revolutionary. The friggen thing is almost all glass! No one else does that! It is a design that was ahead of it's time at release! Why completely change it? Apple is just tweaking it. The people complaining are just the "Apple hipsters" who gotta feel special for the first month or so of availability. They flash their newly designed iPhone hoping someone notices it and they can feel cool for the 5 mins.

jimbo1mcm
Jun 8, 2012, 07:34 AM
Iphone XL

bonaccij
Jun 8, 2012, 07:34 AM
One of the real advantages to the larger, 4" screens on the Android platform is the width of the phone. If they are just going to elongate the screen, yes, it is "technically" 4 inches... but you just don't get the same experience. People with eye problems still aren't going to get any help/relief from this elongated design. I dunno, I'm not sold on the elongated design. It's my job to have a new one every time one comes out, so I'll have one, but I can't see this exciting me as much as if they had just completely redesigned the entire device.

OllyW
Jun 8, 2012, 07:36 AM

Don't worry, there's only another 4 months to go. (Probably)
:D

viewfly
Jun 8, 2012, 07:37 AM
One of the real advantages to the larger, 4" screens on the Android platform is the width of the phone. If they are just going to elongate the screen, yes, it is "technically" 4 inches... but you just don't get the same experience. People with eye problems still aren't going to get any help/relief from this elongated design. I dunno, I'm not sold on the elongated design. It's my job to have a new one every time one comes out, so I'll have one, but I can't see this exciting me as much as if they had just completely redesigned the entire device.

The only way to make it wider is to make is longer too...to keep the Retina resolution and make it an HD format.

Most Androids are bigger and wider because the pixel size (ppi) is lower resolution and therefore not as sharp as the Retina.

Can't have it both ways.

Blakjack
Jun 8, 2012, 07:37 AM
Johnny I've said in his latest interview that their current design work is some of the best that they have ever done. I'm inclined to think he was speaking of the iPhone as one of the products being mentioned. These leaks show the same design with minor changes. It's hard for me to believe they are the work of Johnny Ive and his staff.

Plus Apples redesign pattern has been more drastic in the past. From the iPhone to the iPhone 3G and from the 3GS to the 4 were pretty drastic changes. I expect more from apple. So I'm still calling fake.

Apple has been known to surprise us but at the end of the day, they are a transparent company. Within the past few years, in terms of their iOS devices, they stick to their guns. Their pattern has been routine. If we all would have adhered to the pattern when the 4S was released, many of us wouldn't have been so disappointed when they came with the same design.

abhishake
Jun 8, 2012, 07:39 AM

Makes sense. I just don't understand why everyone is set on believing this is how the phone would look. The two tone makes no sense for Apple... Look at the history of their products.

Tunster
Jun 8, 2012, 07:40 AM
Wider, not taller. Looks likes an iPhone 4 stretched out. Not happy.
You're gonna need hand surgery (or want arthritis) if you want a wider iPhone. I don't personally believe it needs to get any wider, so the only logical step is taller (which makes sense).

IMHO though, this is probably one of the 3 or 4 designs they're still yet to sign off and are getting public reaction to it first through unofficial channels.

fertilized-egg
Jun 8, 2012, 07:40 AM
Not only did you contradict yourself, but I guess you forgot that the S3 won't be the only phone on the market. Let alone a phone that gets as much hype as the iPhone.

Not only that, the Galaxy S series of phones just aren't as numerous as many online seem to think they are. Samsung recently celebrated 50 million Galaxy S and Galaxy S2 sold. That's all the Galaxy S variations combined since 2010. 50 million in 2-3 years sounds a lot until you consider that in last year alone, Samsung sold nearly 100 million smartphones.

Samsung played a nice bit of confusion marketing tactic, by emphasizing the total number of smartphone sales while putting Galaxy S brand forward while obfuscating the sales product mix. But the majority of smartphones sold by Samsung aren't Galaxy S if we are to believe their own words.

I personally dislike the long narrow aspect ratio. But as long as the overall size isn't increased a lot, I guess that's a tradeoff willing to be made by many. Hopefully the new unibody back panel will give it even more rigidity. How good will it feel in hand though in comparison to iPhone 4/4S? It'll feel less slippery but that feeling of premium-ness might be a bit less.

busterbluth
Jun 8, 2012, 07:41 AM
I don't understand, most people say no new iPhone till October and we are getting new MacBooks on Monday. Why are there so many iPhone part leaks and no computer part leaks. Makes you wonder...

Wrathwitch
Jun 8, 2012, 07:44 AM
What I have found highly entertaining about this thread is that there are a lot of people who say that they don't like the design but " I suppose I could get used to it", "I suppose it will grow on me". "I think it looks terrible" etc etc. Basically stating that the form factor is important.

Yet when you look at the design of the Samsung Galaxy S3 it too is less than visually appealing to some, others don't care. However, from my understanding if you can get past the looks, many have been praising what a great phone it is. And yet you have many Apple fans going on about how ugly the phone is but if you ask them what the main joy in an iPhone is in forums, it is all about the user experience as a whole.

The entertainment value is where you have Apple fans saying that their potential phone design is ugly or bad enough that it will have to grow on them, and in the same breath derriding another company's offering that has the same visual curse.

Even if a fair portion of Apple users don't like the device design (IF it ends up as it is currently rumoured) they will still buy it because overall, much like Android users, it is the user experience, is it not?

Either way, human nature is hilarious

OllyW
Jun 8, 2012, 07:51 AM
What I have found highly entertaining about this thread is that there are a lot of people who say that they don't like the design but " I suppose I could get used to it", "I suppose it will grow on me". "I think it looks terrible" etc etc. Basically stating that the form factor is important.

Lot's of people hated the iPhone 4 when the first photos were leaked (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=899393). They still bought it though. :D

kjs862
Jun 8, 2012, 07:53 AM
I don't think this will be it. Apple hasn't kept the same iPhone design for more than two generations.

Tim Cook recently stated that Apple has doubled down on security, so why so many product leaks all of a sudden?

I most certainly could be wrong, but if these mockups are indeed true, it will be a different direction for Apple as they never used the same design three times in a row.

Personally, I would prefer a 4:3 ratio display rather than the 16:9 ratio display found in the mockups. Apple has so much competition and their offerings are starting to look really nice. I just googled for the first time Galaxy S3, and boy, that display is really nice! I think 4:3 displays are much more productive than 16:9 displays, that goes for smartphones, laptops, and desktops.

I would never switch from my iPhone, Apple can do whatever they want to the design, I like their software as it's lightweight and runs efficiently, which makes for a great user experience.

Rogifan
Jun 8, 2012, 07:55 AM
Why are mockups like this considered newsworthy? :rolleyes:

b166er
Jun 8, 2012, 07:58 AM
Last year when the 4s wasn't a redesign people on here were ready to riot. Now that it seems the next iPhone will again not be a redesign everyone is cool with it. No a longer screen and a two tone back do not count as a redesign.

Honestly I like the Older mockups referenced in the article.

I don't have anything against them using the same design again, it's just weird how so many people on here have turned.

5aga
Jun 8, 2012, 08:00 AM
I may be in the minority on this one but I love that design and I hope its legit. Im also hoping for a summer release (but not holding my breath.)

All these leaks make the release seem imminent.

Rogifan
Jun 8, 2012, 08:01 AM

People say Apple is a software company yet the most time spent and the mot posts at places like MR are around hardware, even fake hardware. Who gives a crap about someone's photoshop of an iPhone based on a leaked part that may or may not legit? Who cares about ML or iOS 6 when we can talk about take hardware. :mad:

imotionb18
Jun 8, 2012, 08:02 AM
I hope this is not the new design. After two years I've been itching for a new iphone, and I would hope that Apple would have come up with something a little different than this. I love apple, but I would probably have to pass on this one. :(

Rogifan
Jun 8, 2012, 08:03 AM
I may be in the minority on this one but I love that design and I hope its legit. Im also hoping for a summer release (but not holding my breath.)

All these leaks make the release seem imminent.
I wouldn't call this a leak.

Widashy
Jun 8, 2012, 08:04 AM
Last year when the 4s wasn't a redesign people on here were ready to riot. Now that it seems the next iPhone will again not be a redesign everyone is cool with it. No a longer screen and a two tone back do not count as a redesign.

Honestly I like the Older mockups referenced in the article.

I don't have anything against them using the same design again, it's just weird how so many people on here have turned.

They removed the Glass back.
They ported the 3.5mm jack to bottom.
Screen is increased to 4 inches.
The Resolution of the Screen is changed.
Aspect Ratio is changed.
Mic is ported between Camera and Flash.

Yeah I agree with you mate, it's definitely not a redesign

5aga
Jun 8, 2012, 08:08 AM
I wouldn't call this a leak.

this is a rendering based on leaks.

same difference

nelsonammo
Jun 8, 2012, 08:08 AM
It looks great except they should've kept the aspect ratio of the screen the same. It just looks like they stretched it out. Anyway I'm thinking this is legit because these leaked parts are always legit. I guess I'll have to see how it looks/feels in person.

OneMike
Jun 8, 2012, 08:10 AM
iPhone / iOS is getting boring.

entatlrg
Jun 8, 2012, 08:11 AM
* As always, don't forget to send comments of dislike to Apple feedback ... At least then things have a slight chance of get noticed by the right people compared to here.

I don't like the similar design to the iPhone 4/4S either ... Time to get rid of the hard edges and make it more ergonomic. I'd be thrilled if it's not wider, the HTC ONE X I had and now the ONE S are wider than they need to be to make it comfortable to hold an use, imo.

For Apple the form is most always beautiful but lacking in function as in un-ergonomic designs, sharp edges, delicate and too easily breakable.

How about a beautiful and ergonomic phone that's tough enough to withstand a drop and the riggers of day to do use without needing to spend extra money on a case to protect it if it drops from just 3 feet. Now that would be an accomplishment!

skadd
Jun 8, 2012, 08:12 AM
For the love of all tasty food: Remove the side-bezels!

b166er
Jun 8, 2012, 08:14 AM
They removed the Glass back.
They ported the 3.5mm jack to bottom.
Screen is increased to 4 inches.
The Resolution of the Screen is changed.
Aspect Ratio is changed.
Mic is ported between Camera and Flash.

Yeah I agree with you mate, it's definitely not a redesign

That is all significant I'll give you that. But the actual look is the same. It looks like a stretched iPhone 4. I'm ok with that if the other specs are looking good. I'm just saying I'm surprised so many people want this design after being so upset at the lack of a new design last year.

ghostface147
Jun 8, 2012, 08:15 AM

So they're just going to release one or two iOS6 betas and then ship? Not a chance. With the maps features being completely redone, you better believe they will make sure it goes off without a hitch (or extremely minor). That is one of several iOS updates and it's going to be at least 3 months of beta testing.

Radio
Jun 8, 2012, 08:15 AM
Fake no sim slot and it has seams

x-evil-x
Jun 8, 2012, 08:16 AM
The most interior volume will be with a rectangular design (for the same size) than some teardrop. I like it. What would you want a circle? Not too much variance allowed if you wish to keep it small and give the move inside space.

I guess if the back middle is metal (removing the interior unibody metal structural support to the back plane for a larger battery), the top and bottom have to be glass for the top/bottom U antenna's to be insulated.

The length is the same size as my Morphie Juice Pack. I'm use to that. The width has to be the same to give a true HD screen (as most top Android have). Making it wider too, would only require it to be longer as well to keep the HD ratio. Don't want that.

I would ONLY wish that somehow the front glass EDGES are better protected from a drop. That has always been a weak point in the design, IMO, the glass being exposed. Drop it on the corner and the glass breaks.

Overall, it is a nice design. Then again, I spend most of my time using the phone, not starring at it from a distance...

the renderings in this video are wrong. look at the actual pictures of the case. The glass will be flush with casing. Just like the back. I posted the pictures in this thread.

CausticPuppy
Jun 8, 2012, 08:19 AM
iPhone / iOS is getting boring.

Good. As long as the apps and capabilities are getting more exciting.

mirko.meschini
I don't care about a redesign, actual design looks good. But I think we need a bigger 4" screen with the same aspect ratio, less bezels (iPhones actually look so 2009 compared to other phones, because the size of bezels compared to the real screen size), 4g connectivity, more battery life, and a minor bump in performance and cameras.

rainmanbk

1) Too many leaks. Waaaaay too many leaks for an Apple product. They're a decoy leading us up the garden path, just like the so-called teardrop-shaped iPhone 5 last year. This many leaks just don't happen.

2) Tim Cook recently said in his D10 interview that one of Apple's key strengths with the iOS environment is the lack of fragmentation and specifically mentioned the fact that there aren't heaps of different resolutions for devs to have to code for as a key strength. Why would he say this and then undo it just a few months later.

I agree, yes there have been a lot of leaks, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if this was the real deal. In fact I will assume it is based on the nature and degree of leaks that have happened. Although I do think the timing is strange based on cycle of release happening in October.

Just because Cook said what he said at D10 about single screen sizes does not mean it's out of the cards. Steve often belittled features that he didn't agree with, and later on Apple itself would have a product with that feature. Remember iPod that can play video? iBooks?

Regarding the screen. If it is only taller like the rumors and these leaked parts suggest, there is zero issue for apps that exist today. Updates may have to be released to take advantage of the vertical space, but apps that are written for current screen aspect will look perfectly normal, with the exception of some black above or below the application. I think in the interim of apps not supporting a new vertical height, the experience will still be at least as good as on an iPhone now, and I think people are pretty happy with that.

CausticPuppy
Jun 8, 2012, 08:22 AM
That is all significant I'll give you that. But the actual look is the same. It looks like a stretched iPhone 4. I'm ok with that if the other specs are looking good. I'm just saying I'm surprised so many people want this design after being so upset at the lack of a new design last year.

I think there's only so many things you can do with a rectangle. Sure, Apple could taper the edges, but then it would just look like an iPod Touch. They could make it more rounded but then it would just look like the first iPhones.
Really all they can do at this point is play with materials and textures. Having a minimalist design means there's really no such thing as a radical redesign. I suppose they could make a circular phone or something.

Nuvi
Jun 8, 2012, 08:23 AM
Seriously, Apple has mind blowing resources to design and develop products. Is this really the best they can come up with? It's not like Apple has plethora of models for customers to choose from. Apple has one single phone model that should be able to compete with leading high end smart phones for the duration of 2 two years with spec bump (S model) as midlife upgrade. Unfortunately I believe Apple is slipping with iPhone 5 if this truly is the production design. Even more so iOS isn't showing true innovation and is starting to lag behind Android and WP. Therefore, I truly hope this is some random iPhone 4 prototype that didn't get past the prototyping stage. With all those resources I'm expecting lot more from Apple.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 8, 2012, 08:24 AM
Johnny I've said in his latest interview that their current design work is some of the best that they have ever done. I'm inclined to think he was speaking of the iPhone as one of the products being mentioned. These leaks show the same design with minor changes. It's hard for me to believe they are the work of Johnny Ive and his staff.

Plus Apples redesign pattern has been more drastic in the past. From the iPhone to the iPhone 3G and from the 3GS to the 4 were pretty drastic changes. I expect more from apple. So I'm still calling fake.

I agree that, due to the similarity to the iPhone 4/4s it is doubtful that this is the "best work" Ive was talking about (although maybe once its released we will get more informatino about it and realize it's more amazing than we thought), but honestly I wouldn't think Ive would be talking about the iPhone in the first place. iPhone design is fairly set. I would think Ive was referring to new products such as the iTV or some tablet hybrid (I know Apple hates them. But Apple's M.O. is to hate something right up to the minute they release it themselves) or even some Mac redesigns. I know that wouldn't be a new product, but I feel there is a lot more room for redesign in the Mac line than the iPhone line.

And referring to the drastic yearly redesigns, I direct you to the iPod Classic. http://guides.macrumors.com/iPod_Model_and_Generation_Differences#iPod_classic As you can see, over the 10 year lifetime there have been extremely minimal changes, particularly after the 4th gen that got the click wheel. Apple took a couple gens to fine tune the design, and then stuck with it. Why fix something if it isn't broken?

I don't understand, most people say no new iPhone till October and we are getting new MacBooks on Monday. Why are there so many iPhone part leaks and no computer part leaks. Makes you wonder...

Well here's my opinion.

Firstly, last quarter Apple sold 35.1M iPhones and only 4M Macs. Therefore, it is much more likely to find a stray iPhone part than Mac.

Secondly, most Macs won't be getting redesigned. The mbp might, but we don't know. No redesign, no new parts to leak.

Thirdly, there really haven't been that many part leaks. There was a schematic, one or two picture leaks, and now one part on video. A lot of these "new iPhone 5" articles (like this one) are nothing more than renderings based on the couple leaks that we have.

Finally, a lot of people have speculated that these are controlled leak to keep a lot of attention on the iPhone. Or maybe it is a controlled leak to try to gauge consumer reaction? Apple could realize it might be unfavorable and they have two designs waiting to move forward. This "risky" one and a less risky one.

ghostface147

No computer part leaks? You can stick that backside of the iPhone in your pocket. Where are you going to put a unibody Macbook pro frame? A Mac Pro side panel?

Widashy

You guys are getting upset about this phone because it doesn't have a tear drop design? Do you have an iPod touch 4G? Because if you do, you know how irritating it is to use for prolonged periods of time. There is just no grip with that thing. It looks really beautiful and all but it just fails on aesthetics. Moreover, the tear drop design cannot happen because there are so many things to insert into the phone: Radio Antennae, LTE(possible this time), Battery, a really good Camera and so on. It cannot be fitted into the same width as that of iPod Touch. Also,did you saw the old thread where the iPhone 4 photos were leaked and people called it "Hideous", "Ugly", "Non-Apple", "Steve Jobs cannot let this happen" and "fake"? When the finished product will be out, we all will be drooling over it.

siii
Jun 8, 2012, 08:25 AM
I wish we could do a poll...

Who prefers the 16:9 ratio Vs the 4:3 we have now? (and why) :apple:

Personally I'm in the 4:3 camp for web browsing, my housemate has the nokia lumia and i'm not a fan of browsing on it.

That said, the same width and a small height increase with a larger screen is a good thing.

On a final note, from purely aesthetics, I preferred the wedge design 'leaks' in comparison to these, but I'm sure apple knows what they're doing, they hire some pretty smart guys.

old 'leak'/concept http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/845670/iPhone-5_new_mock_timn1.jpg

sulpfiction
Jun 8, 2012, 08:26 AM

It's called evolution. Yes, the 4S form factor is beautiful. But its starting to get old and boring. We've been looking at it for a couple years now. It's time to change it up. I don't get people who say "the 4S is beautiful, why change it?" Don't you want to see the next beautiful design? Look at the car industry (bad analogy, I know) there are some beautiful cars on the road that change every 2 or 3 years. Why? Because people want to look at something new.

And while I'll be the first in line to get the 5, I am going to be slightly disappointed that it's basically a stretched version of what I've had for the last 2 years. And if you figure we'll get a 5S next year, by the time the 6 rolls around, I will have essiently been looking at the same design for 4 or 5 years. Way too long IMO.

It's not like design doesn't mean anything either. it accounts for about 50% of sales which makes it just as important as function.

I don't know..This design seems very lazy and un-Apple like to me. I still don't believe that this is it. But I guess we'll see.

tekno

Because the business world (and the world as a whole) needs and desires progression. The iPhone 4 design is certainly not perfect and is now two years old which, in the land of smartphones, is a very long time.

My uncle would argue that he loves steam trains, why did we ever need to get rid of them? But I think we all much prefer getting places in a quarter of the time, with air conditioning and on-board wifi!

OneMike
Good. As long as the apps and capabilities are getting more exciting.

3rd party apps yes. Capabilities, eh. I wouldn't say exciting anymore.

12dylan34
Jun 8, 2012, 08:27 AM

I was surprised at all of the downvotes that you received. I think that after 2 generations being more or less the exact same design, it's time for a refresh, do other people not agree? I don't want to buy two phones in a row (because I get pretty much every other generation) that look the same. I want something new.

ts1973
Jun 8, 2012, 08:29 AM
A bit underwhelming imho.

Not enough to warrant a change from my current "4", unless it breaks down of course.

joelvega125
Jun 8, 2012, 08:34 AM
I've got a solution for both of you.

Image (http://icouldcrybutidonthavetime.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/prozac-dont-worry-be-happy.jpg?w=455&h=341)

Oh man!!!Those guys just got owned by a giant pill...awesome! Made my day..:D

roadbloc
Jun 8, 2012, 08:35 AM
So after all that abuse Apple gave Google and the rest of the Android world for fragmentation, they're about to do it themselves?

ChrisTX
Jun 8, 2012, 08:37 AM
If this is the design, Apple has plateaued.
I wouldn't go that far just yet, but it does bear a striking resemblance to the iPhone 4/S.

b166er
Jun 8, 2012, 08:38 AM
You guys are getting upset about this phone because it doesn't have a tear drop design? Do you have an iPod touch 4G? Because if you do, you know how irritating it is to use for prolonged periods of time. There is just no grip with that thing. It looks really beautiful and all but it just fails on aesthetics. Moreover, the tear drop design cannot happen because there are so many things to insert into the phone: Radio Antennae, LTE(possible this time), Battery, a really good Camera and so on. It cannot be fitted into the same width as that of iPod Touch. Also,did you saw the old thread where the iPhone 4 photos were leaked and people called it "Hideous", "Ugly", "Non-Apple", "Steve Jobs cannot let this happen" and "fake"? When the finished product will be out, we all will be drooling over it.

I made no mention of a teardrop design. And I said I'm cool with this mockup if the other specs look good. Unless they go out of their way to make it ugly I care little about the design.

bigjnyc
Jun 8, 2012, 08:39 AM
relax folks this is a controlled leak by Apple... This is just an ugly prototype that looks like the iPhone 4S.... Apple leaked this so they can blow us away when the real unveil looks much better and alot different from the current design.

I'm half kidding :p

zub3qin
Jun 8, 2012, 08:45 AM
Isn't that a micro-USB connector at the bottom rather than a new Apple proprietary connector? Wasn't Apple forced to use a standard connector by the European market rules so all phones have compatible chargers?

Maybe Apple is going to pull a Macbook Air on us. After all they got rid of the obsolete cd-rom drive, and forced users to use WIFI.

Now the only way to sync the NEW iPhone will be with a wifi connection. They are finally cutting the cables.

As far as accessories, you will nee to buy AirPlay accessories only if you want to connect the phone.... or use the headphone jack.

MacAgnostic
Jun 8, 2012, 08:45 AM
i think the glass in front will be level with the edge of this so the glass fits inside the phone this time not on the outside.I agree, the glass is about half as thick as the iPhone 4, and the case includes a recess for the glass to sit in.
This will not have the ice cream sandwich appearance of the iPhone 4.

tekno
Jun 8, 2012, 08:48 AM
relax folks this is a controlled leak by Apple... This is just an ugly prototype that looks like the iPhone 4S.... Apple leaked this so they can blow us away when the real unveil looks much better and alot different from the current design.

This'd be a very dangerous game for Apple to play. If you're correct, this could actually make people think "Oh, same old iPhone for a fifth year" and jump ship for something else before Apple have had a chance to show them the real iPhone.

If this is a hoax, some people have got FAR too much time on their hands. If it isn't, Apple really need to up the security and up their game - I think this design is one hell of a cop-out.

Aren't photos and videos of real leaks quickly taken down by Apple's over-paid lawyers?

OllyW
Jun 8, 2012, 08:49 AM
Isn't that a micro-USB connector at the bottom rather than a new Apple proprietary connector? Wasn't Apple forced to use a standard connector by the European market rules so all phones have compatible chargers?

No, the EU rule only covered chargers and Apple's current iPhone charger already complies with the regs.

gadget123
Jun 8, 2012, 08:50 AM
iPhone 5 needs a complete redesign so that us early adopters stand out from the crowd of iPhone 4/iPhone 4S owners. We deserve this. Please don't disappoint us Ive.

Yep there was some good prototype designs of a slim, tear drop shape last year.

I think if they make it thinner then it will make the bigger screen worthwhile.

Hexiii
Jun 8, 2012, 08:53 AM
The people who wanted bigger screen because of reading, I don't think just elongating the screen helped.

turaco
Jun 8, 2012, 08:55 AM
geez, this is not even close. apple is not going to utilize a three year old design for the iphone, the single best selling device in their portfolio, and just stretch it. it is plain stupid, this is not it.....it will be a full redesign. doesn't anybody see the pattern in apple's development of devices?

ps. you can also accommodate a four inch screen in the current iphone design fyi

xgman
Jun 8, 2012, 08:56 AM
Very nice. And by the way, feel free not to upgrade if you don't like it. ;)

jonnysods
Jun 8, 2012, 09:00 AM
It's a little boring looking.

Having said that if it's not broke don't fix it I guess

PoorImpulseCtrl
Jun 8, 2012, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure why so many people think that Apple HAS to change the aesthetic of the phone every two years. Like many of their products, they keep changing things up until they find a style that fits their brand and maximizes appeal and functionality.

MacBooks, Mac Pros, Mac Minis and iMacs and have all had the same basic appearance for several years now (after a few rapid rounds of edits in previous years). It doesn't mean that they're not still the best looking machines on the market.

In my opinion, if Apple sticks with the sleek aluminum/glass brick (4/4s), it's still the most attractive smartphone being sold today.

CausticPuppy
Jun 8, 2012, 09:05 AM
Every iPhone redesign will still look pretty much like an iPhone.

Just like every new generation of Porsche 911 still pretty much looks like a Porsche 911. I might even say the Porsche 911 looks boring, because that distinctive design has been around so long. But they would be stupid to change it!

Hesadanza
Jun 8, 2012, 09:15 AM
The 76 image renderings are now hosted at a better place for download:
https://sites.google.com/site/iphone5renderings/home/iPhone5renderings.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Currently upgrading my site to handle the traffic...

iEnvy
Jun 8, 2012, 09:15 AM
I agree, the glass is about half as thick as the iPhone 4, and the case includes a recess for the glass to sit in.
This will not have the ice cream sandwich appearance of the iPhone 4.

Will this possibly help the iPhone with cracking..or make it worse? :(

Anyhow, some of you MacRumor users :rolleyes:, with the typical "F this design, to hell with Apple", "WTF is Apple doing?", "I am not buying the next iPhone if it looks like this" thinking. Then when it gets released, you guys are the first in line to buy.

ferrous
Jun 8, 2012, 09:20 AM
I don't see any difference, 4mm longer? Still the same.. nothing better or impressive.

turaco
Jun 8, 2012, 09:23 AM
Very nice. And by the way, feel free not to upgrade if you don't like it. ;)

I'm not sure apple feels that way.....;)

There is one thing I don't understand, how can you guys not want a redesigned iphone? what the hell would be the point of upgranding? I am sure iphone 5 will not be much faster than the 4s, just like the 4s is not much faster than the 4. And if they look the same why would I even bother upgrading?

When the 4s was introduced a lot of people were dissappointed (and rightfully so), but apple being apple also introduced Siri into the picture, an iphone only feature to lure customers into upgrading.

I am willing to be anything the iphone 5 will be a redesign. tell me one company that has used the same damn design for 3 years in a row, oh wait, there is none.

Apple will introduce a new redesigned iphone because they have to and at the same time want to. ;)

ed724
Jun 8, 2012, 09:27 AM

I think the taller screen will be a better ratio for hd video, more so than just more space for icons.

MacAgnostic
Jun 8, 2012, 09:27 AM
Will this possibly help the iPhone with cracking..or make it worse? :(
The recess should help reduce the cracking.
Check this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/208025/cracking_the_case_of_the_iphone_4_glass.html

Rocketman
Jun 8, 2012, 09:31 AM
He needs a variant of render that has the same number of rows of icons as now but a notification center band at the top. I believe that's how Apple will roll. Also a variant with a 16x9 movie playing which is why the thing is 16x9 to begin with.

Who is going to render the new cable and plug and the lower entry headphone jack too?

Rocketman

surma884
Jun 8, 2012, 09:32 AM

They weren't forced, I think they voted for it. Good move by EU though.

Wrathwitch
Jun 8, 2012, 09:34 AM
That is absolutely true. Even by today's standards of smartphone design, the 4/4S is still revolutionary. The friggen thing is almost all glass! No one else does that! It is a design that was ahead of it's time at release! Why completely change it? Apple is just tweaking it. The people complaining are just the "Apple hipsters" who gotta feel special for the first month or so of availability. They flash their newly designed iPhone hoping someone notices it and they can feel cool for the 5 mins.

Negative.. There are many people who like change in design, and improvements in model, were this not the case we would still all be driving Model T cars. It was revolutionary, why change it??

Makes sense. I just don't understand why everyone is set on believing this is how the phone would look. The two tone makes no sense for Apple... Look at the history of their products.

Everyone said that with the imminent release of the iPhone4 and then they all warmed up to it.

Why are mockups like this considered newsworthy? :rolleyes:

It's been 2 years since a new design, people will always hunger for new and flashy things, if this weren't the case, there would never be a desire or need for trophy wives ;)

ed724
Jun 8, 2012, 09:38 AM
Check this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/208025/cracking_the_case_of_the_iphone_4_glass.html

agreed. For me, the functionality of the phone far outweighs the looks. I have a speck candy shell on my 4s and had one on my previous 3gs. 3gs still looks like it came right out of the box and the glass is flawless (screen protector as well). If you're going to lay out big bux, might as well spend a few more dollars and help protect the value. JMHO :)

iEnvy
Jun 8, 2012, 09:39 AM

Very nice. :cool: With the unibody as well, wouldn't an impact on the phone help distribute any force rather focusing it on one point?

MacKai
Jun 8, 2012, 09:39 AM

No we do not!

pmau
Jun 8, 2012, 09:41 AM
Some people in china are laughing really hard right now.

They fooled thausands of people to believe in a really cheap mock-up made of cheap thin bended metal.

No wonder there's no reaction from Apple.
I think they sell those in china for a few bucks.

This can't be the real thing. Apple cannot make a third minor change and get away with sales that high.

Outlaw-D
Jun 8, 2012, 09:42 AM
Ok, so basically in this video we are looking at an iPhone 4 with an outdated OS... wtf, Apple? INNOVATE!

turaco
Jun 8, 2012, 09:48 AM
Some people in china are laughing really hard right now.

They fooled thausands of people to believe in a really cheap mock-up made of cheap thin bended metal.

No wonder there's no reaction from Apple.
I think they sell those in china for a few bucks.

This can't be the real thing. Apple cannot make a third minor change and get away with sales that high.

:D exactly my thoughts, people just don't get :apple:

nickm55
Jun 8, 2012, 09:49 AM
Most people fail to recognise that the iphone doesn't need a re-design for the sake of having a re-design. The iphone is an amazing piece of kit, sometimes tweaks on the inside matter more than exterior aesthetics. It amazes me that fanboys moan and b**tch about apple not re-designing everything. If it works, no need to re-fix it....

Dangerous Theory
Jun 8, 2012, 09:56 AM
Most people fail to recognise that the iphone doesn't need a re-design for the sake of having a re-design. The iphone is an amazing piece of kit, sometimes tweaks on the inside matter more than exterior aesthetics. It amazes me that fanboys moan and b**tch about apple not re-designing everything. If it works, no need to re-fix it....

Except Apple are very much about redesigns for the sake for redesigns. Why do think Johnny Ive is such a hero to them. Redesigns are more important in mobile devices than any other too. You may be one of those "I don't care about looks, I want function" guys, but we all know society as a vast majority like to have something to admire from the outset. I would love a teardrop design too.

sclawis300
Jun 8, 2012, 09:58 AM
I don't remember seeing a microphone on the top of the leaked part? Why would there be a mic on the top and on the top of the back? Better for noise canceling?

turaco
Jun 8, 2012, 09:59 AM

'if it works no need to re-fix it....' hmmmm, so by that logic anything that works should not be changed? good thing you are not heading one of these major corporations, you would be fired faster that gil amelio at apple in the mid-nineties.

plus, what are you, 70 years old? lol, you really would not want a redesigned iphone? if it is redesigned and you don't like you can still keep your outdated 4s with ios 6 :D

imotionb18
Jun 8, 2012, 10:00 AM

Same reason people buy a new car every few years. They want something new. I'm not saying everyone wants a new design, but I understand why a lot of people do. I like having a new design every few years, and Apple was able to deliver without fail for the most part.

devilofspades
Jun 8, 2012, 10:08 AM

normally i would agree, but apple has gotten sloppy and/or too big for its britches. don't forget they lost a prototype iphone...twice! also, jobs all but dropped trow and pinched out a cleveland steamer on the whole "netbook" concept, yet we have an 11 inch macbook air. apple has said a lot of things that they have gone back on. as much as apple likes to control things and dictate the direction of the market. if people started going out in droves buying records by the billions, no doubt we would see an "itable" of some sort.

verniesgarden
Jun 8, 2012, 10:19 AM
I find that those concept designs done on photoshop by fans look much nicer and futuristic than this. I hope it will have a nicer re-design than just this.

usually (at no fault of their own) fan mockups are neater and impressive as most people that make them don't regard production limitations, or design limitation. It easy to design a great body if you don't consider the components within.

miamialley
Jun 8, 2012, 10:26 AM

Right, because THAT'S what I was implying...

You're obviously a very creative mind. "Change nothing. It stay same. Ogga ooga."

JayLenochiniMac
Jun 8, 2012, 10:30 AM
Thinner iPhone but with thicker screen border makes no sense.

ristlin
Jun 8, 2012, 10:34 AM
I have to say I have been turned. I was one of those saying October, but all this detail leaking tells me this is in production already. I would not be surprised AT ALL if the new iPhone was announced on Monday. Bring it

Yeah. Leaks have been getting too good. I was looking for a tapered design but that looks like a silly dream now. I really don't see the beauty of the longer phone. I may have to hold onto my 4S for a long time : (

----------

Except Apple are very much about redesigns for the sake for redesigns. Why do think Johnny Ive is such a hero to them. Redesigns are more important in mobile devices than any other too. You may be one of those "I don't care about looks, I want function" guys, but we all know society as a vast majority like to have something to admire from the outset. I would love a teardrop design too.

I LOVE the 4/4S design, but I also look forward to redesigns. Not just for the sake of change, but to see whether it is possible to make something better. Jony Ive has shown the ability to improve on what people consider perfect and I want to see that carried to the iPhone.

Braindead360
Jun 8, 2012, 10:37 AM
I can honestly say that I have grown quite tired of the glass backing on the 4/4S. I hate having a case on my phone, but it seems like you almost have to wrap your iPhone in one with the back being so fragile. Glass is pretty, but it really is impracticable from a durability standpoint.

speedyg256
Jun 8, 2012, 10:43 AM

It can't be too quickly after the release of iOS6 apple always gives plenty of time to developers to make use of new API's and update their apps. This will be especially true if there is a larger screen.

macducky
Jun 8, 2012, 10:44 AM
I can honestly say that I have grown quite tired of the glass backing on the 4/4S. I hate having a case on my phone, but it seems like you almost have to wrap your iPhone in one with the back being so fragile. Glass is pretty, but it really is impracticable from a durability standpoint.

But the "striped back" is just HIDEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

baryon
Jun 8, 2012, 10:57 AM
So why are there two thick stripes on the back, one at either end? Are those antennas?

GREEN4U
Jun 8, 2012, 10:59 AM

Yeah they can, unfortunately. They do it every year with their computers. :p:mad:

----------

But the "striped back" is just HIDEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I agree. Also, how can everybody be calling it "unibody" when it has these different panels? I thought unibody implied 1 piece of injection molded aluminum.

boshii
Jun 8, 2012, 11:03 AM
I love the new unibody design, headphone jack placement makes so much more sense too. 16:9 screen works for me too!!

The major upside for me is when people want there screen replaced its the first thing that comes off!

Yep. Screen replacement will be super easy like with the 3G/3GS.

----------

I agree. Also, how can everybody be calling it "unibody" when it has these different panels? I thought unibody implied 1 piece of injection molded aluminum.

The backplate is seamlessly connect to the sides. With the screen, the exterior would comprise of two pieces.

Judas1
Jun 8, 2012, 11:04 AM
The same design. The same grid of icons. Why would anybody upgrade? Oh yeah, to have the latest fashion.

Ay_Zimmy
Jun 8, 2012, 11:22 AM
What do you mean no redesign, the thing has a 4 inch screen.. and the case is slightly different, but the overall shape seems to be the same.

mrxak
Jun 8, 2012, 11:23 AM
The allegedly leaked part that this rendering is based on has already been thoroughly debunked as being made by the company showing off the part. They made it as an ad for their company, probably in order to get a Samsung contract. If you read through that other topic, you'll see people pointing out plenty of evidence, plus showing clearly ETrade Supply's motivations for making their video.

It's a very good knock-off, mind you, but flawed enough as to show it was not made by an Apple supplier, and logically there's no way they could have gotten a legitimate part, anyway. The company that produced the video is quite capable of manufacturing such a part. They have the equipment and expertise, and one of their guys is a genius of viral marketing to come up with the hoax. Apple's competitors read Apple rumor sites too, and something like this is a perfect way to get your part manufacturing company some attention.

That is not to say Apple is or is not working on an iPhone of this form factor, or that it will or will not look like this, just that the part itself that's been shown around on the internet recently is a fake produced by ETrade Supply. Whether they made it themselves based on the alleged blueprints, or they made those blueprints themselves and leaked it earlier so their video would be better received, is unknown.

The thing to remember is that Apple makes prototypes of all sorts and sizes. They covered a table with prototypes way back when the iPhone was just being developed, and played around with them before deciding on the 3.5" size we know and love, debuted with the iPhone 1. It's possible Apple made a 4" taller iPhone recently, and rejected it, but the designs or parts ended up walking out of the building, causing people to think it's actual the iPhone 6. Really, it could just be a rejected design. It could also be a design by Apple intended to confuse their competitors, leaked now to disrupt competitor launches, or cause competitors to spend money copying Apple's fake design.

Nonetheless, this rendering is based on a part produced by ETrade Supply as a way of getting attention to their company, not a real part from an Apple supplier or Apple R&D. Whether that fake part is based on a real part is unknown. Whether Apple is actually making or has experimented with an iPhone of this design is also unknown. Until we start seeing legitimate parts from legitimate sources, such as the recent iPad part leaks, we won't really have any idea whatsoever.

If you like the design, don't get your hopes up. If you hate the design, don't get so worried. Apple won't be announcing the iPhone 6 for another few months yet, and genuine part leaks won't happen until much closer to October when production ramps up.

Right now this is all just one big rumor circlejerk, where sites copy speculation and hoaxes from each other, creating the appearance of multiple reliable sources instead of one game of Telephone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_game). If I remember right, this all started from one rumor site merely speculating how Apple could make a 4" iPhone, without ruining the established retina PPI. From there, a few more sites posted that speculation as news, and speculated further. A few weeks pass, and somebody makes a blueprint based on that speculation and some rumors, posting it as a legitimate blueprint. A few more weeks pass, and people with the equipment, expertise, and financial incentive to do so build a fake part and pass it off as "maybe real", with their logo and company name plastered all over. Now we're in the computer generated 3D model phase of the circlejerk. All because one tech writer speculated on how Apple might pull off something they've always said they won't do.

iamdavekennedy
Jun 8, 2012, 11:30 AM
I was just thinking, and excuse my naivety in this, but.. this new design, if true, could the different materials be indicative that Apple are planning on releasing their own Wireless charging plate?

The different material being the receiving surface obviously, rather than with third party ones that require you to attach a fairly garish looking sticker of sorts to the back panel?

I apologise if this has been mentioned previously or indeed if I am overlooking something very simple, I have no real knowledge about the technology required, I'm just thinking out loud!

ViewRoyal
Jun 8, 2012, 11:31 AM
Bryce Haymond of Blackpool Creative (http://www.blackpoolcreative.com/) has created a set (http://www.blackpoolcreative.com/blog/iphone-5-renderings-based-on-leaked-parts/) of high resolution 3D renderings of the "iPhone 5" based on the circulating part leaks and diagrams (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/30/schematic-purportedly-shows-next-generation-iphone-front-panel-design-with-4-inch-display/).

If this really is going to be the next iPhone, the only change I would have made to these renderings would be to show the front glass flush with the metal frame (like the iPhone 3/3GS) instead of raised above the frame (like the iPhone 4/4S).

The raised glass looks out of place, since the new iPhone has a full metal case, and not a a frame sandwiched between two panes of glass like the iPhone 4/4S. The other reason is because there have been some complaints about the exposed glass edge on the iPhone 4/4S getting damaged too easily. The glass on the iPhone 3/3GS was better protected because the edge was not exposed.
:cool:

xgman
Jun 8, 2012, 11:33 AM
The allegedly leaked part that this rendering is based on has already been thoroughly debunked as being made by the company showing off the part. They made it as an ad for their company, probably in order to get a Samsung contract. If you read through that other topic, you'll see people pointing out plenty of evidence, plus showing clearly ETrade Supply's motivations for making their video.

It's a very good knock-off, mind you, but flawed enough as to show it was not made by an Apple supplier, and logically there's no way they could have gotten a legitimate part, anyway. The company that produced the video is quite capable of manufacturing such a part. They have the equipment and expertise, and one of their guys is a genius of viral marketing to come up with the hoax. Apple's competitors read Apple rumor sites too, and something like this is a perfect way to get your part manufacturing company some attention.

That is not to say Apple is or is not working on an iPhone of this form factor, or that it will or will not look like this, just that the part itself that's been shown around on the internet recently is a fake produced by ETrade Supply. Whether they made it themselves based on the alleged blueprints, or they made those blueprints themselves and leaked it earlier so their video would be better received, is unknown.

The thing to remember is that Apple makes prototypes of all sorts and sizes. They covered a table with prototypes way back when the iPhone was just being developed, and played around with them before deciding on the 3.5" size we know and love, debuted with the iPhone 1. It's possible Apple made a 4" taller iPhone recently, and rejected it, but the designs or parts ended up walking out of the building, causing people to think it's actual the iPhone 6. Really, it could just be a rejected design. It could also be a design by Apple intended to confuse their competitors, leaked now to disrupt competitor launches, or cause competitors to spend money copying Apple's fake design.

Nonetheless, this rendering is based on a part produced by ETrade Supply as a way of getting attention to their company, not a real part from an Apple supplier or Apple R&D. Whether that fake part is based on a real part is unknown. Whether Apple is actually making or has experimented with an iPhone of this design is also unknown. Until we start seeing legitimate parts from legitimate sources, such as the recent iPad part leaks, we won't really have any idea whatsoever.

If you like the design, don't get your hopes up. If you hate the design, don't get so worried. Apple won't be announcing the iPhone 6 for another few months yet, and genuine part leaks won't happen until much closer to October when production ramps up.

Right now this is all just one big rumor circlejerk, where sites copy speculation and hoaxes from each other, creating the appearance of a reliable source. If I remember right, this all started from one rumor site merely speculating how Apple could make a 4" iPhone, without ruining the established retina PPI. From there, a few more sites posted that speculation as news, and speculated further. A few weeks pass, and somebody makes a blueprint based on that speculation and some rumors, posting it as a legitimate blueprint. A few more weeks pass, and people with the equipment, expertise, and financial incentive to do so build a fake part and pass it off as "maybe real", with their logo and company name plastered all over. Now we're in the computer generated 3D model phase of the circlejerk. All because one tech writer speculated on how Apple might pull off something they've always said they won't do.

another . . . . . .