PDA

View Full Version : Apple Marketing Chief Phil Schiller Profiled as Key to Apple's Future Success

MacRumors
Jun 8, 2012, 09:25 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08/apple-marketing-chief-phil-schiller-profiled-as-key-to-apples-future-success/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/11/phil_schiller-150x171.jpg

Bloomberg Businessweek publishes a new profile of Phil Schiller (http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-06-07/can-phil-schiller-keep-apple-cool), Apple senior vice president of marketing who served for years as Steve Jobs' right-hand man regarding the company's public presentations and comments, but who has also been intimately involved in product development and positioning.He helped Apple's late CEO work through the meat-and-potatoes of creating new products: Defining target markets, determining technical specs, setting prices. It was Schiller who came up with the spin-wheel interface on the original iPod, and he was a champion of the iPad when other executives questioned its potential. "Because Phil's title is marketing, people believe he's focused on what's on the billboards," says Gene Munster, an analyst with Piper Jaffray (PJC). "He's much more important than people give him credit for."The profile notes that while Schiller and Jobs appeared vastly different in their personal lives and interests, the two were always on the same wavelength with regard to Apple's plans, earning Schiller the internal nickname of "Mini-Me". Like Jobs, Schiller has also been known to be ruthless in shooting down ideas considered not good enough for Apple to pursue, earning him another nickname of "Dr. No".

Schiller is one of the key executives responsible for helping Apple maintain its momentum as it transitions away from Jobs' influence, and he knows that he will be one of those held most acutely responsible if Apple's future products fall short.Schiller shares many of Jobs's passions and impulses. The big question is how well he can channel them into new ideas and products. Four former Apple managers say many consider him overly controlling and worry that he lacks the bold creative instincts needed to maintain Apple's edge. Particularly in his expanded marketing role, some fear he will be a more conventional leader, prone to hyping products in ways that tarnish Apple's hard-won brand loyalty.With the iPad now over two years old and experiencing booming growth, the pressure is on Apple to set the stage for its next breakthrough product, which some believe to be television. But regardless of Apple's plans, Schiller will be playing a key role in nurturing Apple's progress and serving as a public face for Apple to help spread its message.

Article Link: Apple Marketing Chief Phil Schiller Profiled as Key to Apple's Future Success (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08/apple-marketing-chief-phil-schiller-profiled-as-key-to-apples-future-success/)

chuckles:)
Jun 8, 2012, 09:28 AM
Clearly the rock-star team of Cook, Schiller, Ive and Forstall are all a part of Apple's future success.

Gunny011
Jun 8, 2012, 09:30 AM
This doesn't surprise me. I've always liked Schiller, does his best to make keynote presentations interesting and fun.

NAG
Jun 8, 2012, 09:30 AM
Clearly the rock-star team of Cook, Schiller, Ive and Forstall are all a part of Apple's future success.

No! There can only be one.

dennno
Jun 8, 2012, 09:31 AM
Nobody doubts Steve's contributions into bringing Apple to where it is now. But most people forget that he didn't do it alone. I remember he always mentioned "we" on interviews, and I'm pretty sure Schiller is a big part of that we.

Comeagain?
Jun 8, 2012, 09:32 AM

He's gone now. :(

GSPice
Jun 8, 2012, 09:34 AM

http://images.wikia.com/highlander/images/4/47/HighlanderDuncan4.jpg

drsox
Jun 8, 2012, 09:35 AM
I'm never surprised when uninformed folks assume Marketing means Advertising. Interesting to see that Jobs, of all people, saw eye-to-eye with a Marketeer.

ChrisTX
Jun 8, 2012, 09:36 AM
Something about Phil's overall demeanor that I am a fan of. I think Apple will do just fine with him as an executive.

filmantopia
Jun 8, 2012, 09:37 AM
Next week's headline: "Schiller leaving Apple for Sears"

sulpfiction
Jun 8, 2012, 09:40 AM
No! There can only be one..

blow45
Jun 8, 2012, 09:45 AM
I would think he is the least capable for apple's future success. But with the money he has he can certainly purchase a profile or two to mend his public image over his juvenile comments on instagram.

If marketing take over apple over creatives and programmers, which so far it seems this is the trend apple will have a problem.

stockscalper
Jun 8, 2012, 09:46 AM
As soon as the projects Jobs developed roll out of the pipeline Apple will be done. You can see them entrenching already - all they're doing with the iPhone is copying Android and Windows Mobile and then filing lawsuit after lawsuit claiming they were the ones who were copied.

Apple, once the pirates of Silicon Valley doing battle against stodgy corporate giants like IBM has become IBM. And like IBM they will slowly fade from the scene. It's ironic that Jobs chose Orwell's 1984 theme for the 1984 Super Bowl, when another of Orwell's books matches Apple's evolution more closely - Animal Farm.

Radio
Jun 8, 2012, 09:47 AM
he said something stupid

oh that instagram sucks now that they went to android.

snotty pr%#*#$)

newyorksole
Jun 8, 2012, 09:48 AM
Nobody doubts Steve's contributions into bringing Apple to where it is now. But most people forget that he didn't do it alone. I remember he always mentioned "we" on interviews, and I'm pretty sure Schiller is a big part of that we.

I love the current executive team, but I just feel like Steve has that extra something that all of them combined don't.

blow45
Jun 8, 2012, 09:49 AM
I'm never surprised when uninformed folks assume Marketing means Advertising. Interesting to see that Jobs, of all people, saw eye-to-eye with a Marketeer.

If by eye to eye you mean inciting him to jump from a few metres on a matress for a product launch, he sure did...:rolleyes: To be fair Steve saw eye to eye with very few people. I don't doubt that Phil is excellent at this job, I just don't think he has what it takes at all for carving out a creative way for apple in the future. Apple needs disruption if it is to survive without diluting itself. It doesn't need someone going make os x and atv look like ios so we sell more to the detriment of both of them, especially so the latter.

weaponEX
Jun 8, 2012, 09:49 AM
The key line here is:
Apple's hard-won brand loyalty.

It's easy to forget that how loyal the fans are and how much hard work it must have taken to earn.

johncrab
Jun 8, 2012, 09:50 AM
Like the others in the Apple pantheon, Schiller has made mistakes but he clearly has the ability to learn from them. Introducing MobileMe, new iPhone software and the 3g all on the same day, worldwide, almost caused Apple to turn into a black hole as servers struggled. That was the turning point when Schiller and Jobs woke up to the fact that Apple was no longer a toy company but a major tech player. That day, everything at Apple changed and the company gained a new focus and that's when the phenomenal growth really began.

Thunderhawks
Jun 8, 2012, 09:50 AM
I would think he is the least capable for apple's future success. But with the money he has he can certainly purchase a profile or two to mend his public image over his juvenile comments on instagram.

If marketing take over apple over creatives and programmers, which so far it seems this is the trend apple will have a problem.

Your opinion based on ?.........NOTHING

You must not want democracy. He can't say what he thinks?

Think differently. In your case a little deeper would help.

Please apply immediately for these top positions at Apple and right what is wrong. They are really doomed without your open minded expertise.

dokujaryu
Jun 8, 2012, 09:51 AM

Porter: Who makes the decisions?
Carter: Well, a committee would make the decision in this case...
Porter: One man... you go high enough you always come to one man... who?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120784/quotes

twoodcc
Jun 8, 2012, 09:56 AM
i wouldn't put it just on him. though he is important, so are the other big characters

Snowshiro
It was Schiller who came up with the spin-wheel interface on the original iPod

I didn't know that. But if it's true, he had a gigantic hand in putting Apple where they are today. It was the iPod that really got them into the portable device market, and it was the click-wheel that made the iPod stand out and turned it into a must have item among a sea of mp3 players that were already available. Just look at how copied that wheel design was on almost every player that the competition launched once the iPod took off.

It's arguable that if the iPod hadn't been the success it was, we may not have seen the iPhone or the iPad. It really isn't possible to overstate just how important that wheel was for the company's fortunes.

Rogifan
According to Ken Segsall Schller wanted to call the iMac MacMan, thank goodness Segall came up with iMac or we could be living with MacMan, PodMan, PhoneMan and PadMan. :eek:

djrod
Jun 8, 2012, 10:02 AM
According to Ken Segsall Schller wanted to call the iMac MacMan, thank goodness Segall came up with iMac or we could be living with MacMan, PodMan, PhoneMan and PadMan. :eek:

That was Steve Jobs, not Schiller

liavman
Jun 8, 2012, 10:07 AM
Particularly in his expanded marketing role, some fear he will be a more conventional leader, prone to hyping products in ways that tarnish Apple's hard-won brand loyalty.

Epic bulls*it.

drsox
Jun 8, 2012, 10:08 AM
If by eye to eye you mean inciting him to jump from a few metres on a matress for a product launch, he sure did...:rolleyes: To be fair Steve saw eye to eye with very few people. I don't doubt that Phil is excellent at this job, I just don't think he has what it takes at all for carving out a creative way for apple in the future. Apple needs disruption if it is to survive without diluting itself. It doesn't need someone going make os x and atv look like ios so we sell more to the detriment of both of them, especially so the latter.

Agree. IMO and experience a successful tech company needs engineers and marketeers - both with some understanding of the other. It also depends where the company is in its life-cycle. At the beginning only the engineer is needed; where Apple is now, it needs both. Where is the engineer counterpart to PS in all this ? Equally in the spotlight ?

RoboCop001
Jun 8, 2012, 10:08 AM
Shillander

Bubba Satori
Jun 8, 2012, 10:12 AM
A marketing chief is key to a company's success?

Wow! Thank you for this amazing news, Bloomberg.

MacFather
Jun 8, 2012, 10:13 AM
This doesn't surprise me. I've always liked Schiller, does his best to make keynote presentations interesting and fun.

Scott Forstall has much better presentation skills

Skika
Jun 8, 2012, 10:16 AM
A marketing chief is key to a company's success?

Wow! Thank you for this amazing news, Bloomberg.

Why so bitter? It also explains his involvment in the products itself not just being the "marketing guy".

MH01
Jun 8, 2012, 10:21 AM
Schiller profiled as Key to Apple's future success!

Orly......

In other news, Sky still blue!

Next weeks News, Jobs played an influential part in Apple's success!

ristlin
Jun 8, 2012, 10:23 AM
he said something stupid

oh that instagram sucks now that they went to android.

snotty pr%#*#$)

Actually, he said something along the lines of:

It "jumped the shark" when it went to Android

If he was anyone BUT the marketing director of Apple I would agree with your assessment. But since he IS the director of marketing, it's a fair thing to say.
Imagine his disappointment that the app he likely voted to earn the app of the year award now has a Android version.

----------

Schiller profiled as Key to Apple's future success!

Orly......

In other news, Sky still blue!

Next weeks News, Jobs played an influential part in Apple's success!

Retrospective: Consumers have been an essential component to Apple's bottom line.

Rogifan
Jun 8, 2012, 10:33 AM

http://www.macworld.co.uk/apple-business/news/?newsid=3361440
Naming the iMac
It was Segall who came up with the name iMac, which Jobs eventually warmed to after initially “hating” it. The “i” stood for Imagination, Individual and Internet, among other positive notions.

Steve had wanted to call the new Bondi Blue computer “MacMan” – a “pretty darn stupid” name apparently dreamed up by Apple Marketing chief Phil Schiller.

Other names that were considered, which Segall is now embarrassed by, were “EveryMac” and “MiniMac”.

(Jobs had history in ridiculous name ideas: he once*wanted to call the Macintosh "Bicycle".)

*“If it weren’t for me, you’d probably be sitting there with your PhoneMan right now,” Segall quipped.

----------

Schillers seems more natural. Forstall seems more phony, like he's trying to hard to be a mini-Steve. Amazing that the guy supposedly closest to Steve (Ive) doesn't appear to have a personality anything like Steve's.

Moonjumper
Jun 8, 2012, 10:39 AM
It was always going to be a team that replaced Steve Jobs. To make that work, each person needs to concentrate on their own skills and allow the others to concentrate on theirs. It appears to be working so far. Long may it continue.

olowott
Jun 8, 2012, 10:40 AM
Hey whats happening here

No more products rumours, we now attacking our favourite Apple Team Members!

as a Team, we are sure awesome products they will be delivered.

I like the Dude, always tries in his presentation, u know trying to be as good as steve jobs:cool:

NAG
Jun 8, 2012, 10:48 AM
Just to defend the piece, how many marketing guys from other companies can you name? We kind of take Phil Schiller for granted because he played second fiddle to Steve Jobs for so long (he was always the goofy guy on the other end of the iChat).

XX55XX
Jun 8, 2012, 11:04 AM
I just learned that Schiller graduated from the same university I attended.

Alumni card, anyone?

Nickpocalypse
Jun 8, 2012, 11:50 AM
I like the implication in this article that Jobs was "Dr. Evil" :p

MrNomNoms
Jun 8, 2012, 12:09 PM
Like Jobs, Schiller has also been known to be ruthless in shooting down ideas considered not good enough for Apple to pursue, earning him another nickname of "Dr. No".

That is the key - the ability to say 'no' which was one of the failings before Steve Jobs arrived. Before he arrived Apple had their fingers in far too many pies and too many ventures which were half assed, half baked and never realised to their full potential. Focus and hone in what you can do well, get it up and running then once it is a strong position to move onto the next thing. I'm happy to see that there is a manager at the helm willing to make the tough decisions when required - without any fanfare or razzle-dazzle.

Dreamer2go
Jun 8, 2012, 12:13 PM
To me, Forstall, Cook, Iv and Schiller is like Steve Jobs in 4 pieces (somewhat)
In other words, when those 4 work together (combined), they are Steve Jobs 2.0....

okay fine, no one can ever be Steve Jobs, but those 4 have the talents and skills to keep Apple going. Just like how Steve Jobs did it...

That's what I'm trying to say.

djrod
Jun 8, 2012, 12:19 PM
http://www.macworld.co.uk/apple-business/news/?newsid=3361440
Naming the iMac
It was Segall who came up with the name iMac, which Jobs eventually warmed to after initially “hating” it. The “i” stood for Imagination, Individual and Internet, among other positive notions.

Steve had wanted to call the new Bondi Blue computer “MacMan” – a “pretty darn stupid” name apparently dreamed up by Apple Marketing chief Phil Schiller.

Other names that were considered, which Segall is now embarrassed by, were “EveryMac” and “MiniMac”.

(Jobs had history in ridiculous name ideas: he once*wanted to call the Macintosh "Bicycle".)

*“If it weren’t for me, you’d probably be sitting there with your PhoneMan right now,” Segall quipped.

----------

Schillers seems more natural. Forstall seems more phony, like he's trying to hard to be a mini-Steve. Amazing that the guy supposedly closest to Steve (Ive) doesn't appear to have a personality anything like Steve's.

Thanks for the full story, I stand corrected ;)

acslater017
Jun 8, 2012, 12:27 PM

Really? Forstall's presentations are decent, but I've always liked Schiller a lot better. He gives off this teddy bear, avuncular vibe that brings a bit of warmth to the proceedings. Forstall always strikes me as a kind of nervous high schooler...

petsounds
Jun 8, 2012, 12:59 PM
I'm not sure what Schiller has ever added to the secret formula. He's like the Ed McMahon of Apple -- Steve brings him on for demos and that's about it.

Jobs: "So, I'm going to Facetime Phil right now..."
Phil: "Hey Steve!"
Jobs: "Phil, you've got a space station floating behind you."
Phil: "Ha ha yes! That is correct, sir!"

Mal
Jun 8, 2012, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure what Schiller has ever added to the secret formula. He's like the Ed McMahon of Apple -- Steve brings him on for demos and that's about it.

Jobs: "So, I'm going to Facetime Phil right now..."
Phil: "Hey Steve!"
Jobs: "Phil, you've got a space station floating behind you."
Phil: "Ha ha yes! That is correct, sir!"

Didn't read the article, did you?

jW

Rogifan
Jun 8, 2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the full story, I stand corrected ;)Well you were partially correct in that Steve liked the name. I still :eek: when I think about that.

----------

Really? Forstall's presentations are decent, but I've always liked Schiller a lot better. He gives off this teddy bear, avuncular vibe that brings a bit of warmth to the proceedings. Forstall always strikes me as a kind of nervous high schooler...
Forstall reminds me of the teacher's pet or the one who would always raise his hand in class because he knew the right answer. In one profile I read on him it was kinda creepy how much he wanted to be like Steve. Dressed exactly like him, drove the exact same model of Mercedes as Steve did, etc.

petsounds
Jun 8, 2012, 02:26 PM
Didn't read the article, did you?

jW

I did read the article, but it didn't give me much further insight. He seems like just another executive. I'm surprised that he came up with the clickwheel for the iPod when he also came up with "MacMan". Jobs obviously trusted his opinion, so that's worth something. He seems competent at what he does, but he seems like a gentler, kinder version of Steve Ballmer. He approved those latest Siri ads, and I have a feeling Jobs would've yelled at Chiat/Day for showing him such crap. He seems like a decent guy, and just kind of decent at his job.

blow45
Jun 8, 2012, 03:11 PM
Your opinion based on ?.........NOTHING

You must not want democracy. He can't say what he thinks?

Think differently. In your case a little deeper would help.

Please apply immediately for these top positions at Apple and right what is wrong. They are really doomed without your open minded expertise.

Huh? (to everything)

He can say whatever the hell he thinks, that doesn't make his jumping the shark comments any less juvenile.

Yeah they are waiting for me with a wet pen...until then I ll just **** because, seeing as you want democracy and all, unless someone's in the top echelons of apple they can't have an opinion on apples public figures nor comment on what they say.

It's great that you love democracy, I can't begin to think what you d say if you didn't.

Navdakilla
Jun 8, 2012, 03:12 PM
All I can say is 2012 needs to be big

Obi-Wan Kubrick
Jun 8, 2012, 03:18 PM
Don Draper

liavman
Jun 8, 2012, 03:24 PM
I have a feeling Jobs would've yelled at Chiat/Day for showing him such crap.

The sooner we stop channeling Jobs better we will all be. Fair enough that you do not like the ads, you don't have to speculate what Jobs would have done. I hope Apple executives do not immobilize themselves with such speculations and get on with the post-Jobs era.

j4zb4
Jun 8, 2012, 03:42 PM
As soon as the projects Jobs developed roll out of the pipeline Apple will be done. You can see them entrenching already - all they're doing with the iPhone is copying Android and Windows Mobile and then filing lawsuit after lawsuit claiming they were the ones who were copied.

Apple, once the pirates of Silicon Valley doing battle against stodgy corporate giants like IBM has become IBM. And like IBM they will slowly fade from the scene. It's ironic that Jobs chose Orwell's 1984 theme for the 1984 Super Bowl, when another of Orwell's books matches Apple's evolution more closely - Animal Farm.

I really do;t know why super fandroids like you are even members out here... You clearly don't know **** about apple, its history, its functioning methods or its products...

sigh...

fertilized-egg
Jun 8, 2012, 05:19 PM
Agree. IMO and experience a successful tech company needs engineers and marketeers - both with some understanding of the other. It also depends where the company is in its life-cycle. At the beginning only the engineer is needed; where Apple is now, it needs both.

I'd argue that even in the beginning you need marketing. A big part of marketing that usually goes ignored is product planning part that happens before engineers get to their work. It's about figuring if there's is a market for your product and guide the product to that market.

Good marketing people are the ones who can sense and predict where the market will move towards in the future and Schiller apparently has been one of them. Apple itself is the result of Steve Jobs recognizing the market for well executed but fairly plain technology.

Unfortunately the word "marketing" has become a derogatory term but there are more to it than just selling snake oil.

76ShovelHead
Jun 8, 2012, 08:00 PM
I've always liked Phil. His keynotes were on par with Steve's. He brings a 'liveliness' to the WWDC that I just don't really see in Tim Cook.

Winni
Jun 8, 2012, 09:37 PM

I'm not sure about what you mean here. Jobs was a sales person and he had an eye for design. He was a user, not an engineer or what one could call a technical person. If there were two people he would see eye-to-eye with at Apple, those two people had to be Schiller and Yve and nobody else - they were the only ones whose language he understood.

zzLZHzz
Jun 8, 2012, 09:43 PM
marketer is very important. no point making a product if you don't know who to target.

drsox
Jun 8, 2012, 11:29 PM
I'd argue that even in the beginning you need marketing. A big part of marketing that usually goes ignored is product planning part that happens before engineers get to their work. It's about figuring if there's is a market for your product and guide the product to that market.

Good marketing people are the ones who can sense and predict where the market will move towards in the future and Schiller apparently has been one of them. Apple itself is the result of Steve Jobs recognizing the market for well executed but fairly plain technology.

Unfortunately the word "marketing" has become a derogatory term but there are more to it than just selling snake oil.

I agree with with the need for Product Planning in an industry where customers can actually understand what the "Product" is and marketeers can guide the positioning of the "Product". However in a "Revolutionary" industry where there's no guidance available only intuition and vision, product planning can get in the way and is a hindrance.

Most tech start-ups start this way. e.g. could anyone "product plan" the start of Facebook ? or the early Apple ? or the early Xerox ? The best large HiTech companies usually have an "Off In Left Field" section where revolutionary ideas are worked on without any marketing "help". When/If they get somewhere, then they need some "getting to market" help. Then the product life cycle(s) start.

PS Marketing isn't Selling.

drsox
Jun 8, 2012, 11:48 PM
I'm not sure about what you mean here. Jobs was a sales person and he had an eye for design. He was a user, not an engineer or what one could call a technical person. If there were two people he would see eye-to-eye with at Apple, those two people had to be Schiller and Yve and nobody else - they were the only ones whose language he understood.

My experience of HiTech companies is that a strong visionary company head usually has a disparaging view of Marketing (not Selling). Usually it is only Technology that is held to be important. This does change as the company matures.

petsounds
Jun 8, 2012, 11:55 PM
The sooner we stop channeling Jobs better we will all be. Fair enough that you do not like the ads, you don't have to speculate what Jobs would have done. I hope Apple executives do not immobilize themselves with such speculations and get on with the post-Jobs era.

I'm definitely not a WWJD? kind of person, so don't assume that. I'm just speaking from personal experience and historical precedent.

I do think the ads are terrible. Apple has never been about product endorsements by celebs. They've used celebs in the past, but only to paint a picture. The Siri ads fall flat because they draw more attention to the celebrity than they do to Siri. Part of this may be Apple's fault; Tim Cook said in that All Things D interview that Siri's main draw and advantage is its personality. That's crap. Siri is only appealing when it actually helps users. But Apple may have given its ad agency this direction. Having John Malkovich pontificating with Siri does not show its utility; it just shows John Malkovich being John Malkovich with a talking phone.

Mak47
Jun 9, 2012, 12:09 AM

Realistically, I don't think we'd be living with any of them. MacMan would have been a disastrous name. Without the success of that first product, Apple wouldn't have advanced any further--they were in big trouble financially.

Don't blame that one all on Schiller though, Jobs made Segall and Chiat/Day work really hard to convince him it was a bad idea.

katewes
Jun 9, 2012, 02:52 AM
I realise we need to take a broader view, but -- I'm sorry -- every time I hear Phil Schiller's name, it reminds me that he's the guy that says all Apple users love glossy screens, and that all you have to do is tilt the screen and the glare goes away. Just read the detailed user experiences at the petition site http://macmatte.wordpress.com which shows that not all Mac users love glossy screens, and the many specific rebuttals from users that mere tilting the screen does not solve the glare problem. Apple solved the glare problem by providing anti-glare screens for the 15" and 17" MacBook Pros, but Phil does not care a stuff about the glare problem for 13" MacBook Pros, iMacs and desktop Cinema Displays, as long as the money rolls in to increase Apple's $100 billion mountain of stash. So it strikes me that Phil is Apple's spin man, and he's paid handsomely because he is excellent at spin.

Northgrove
Jun 9, 2012, 05:06 AM
He pushed the iPad when many at Apple weren't convinced, and former Apple managers question his creative instinct?

Northgrove
Jun 9, 2012, 05:15 AM
I realise we need to take a broader view, but -- I'm sorry -- every time I hear Phil Schiller's name, it reminds me that he's the guy that says all Apple users love glossy screens, and that all you have to do is tilt the screen and the glare goes away. Just read the detailed user experiences at the petition site http://macmatte.wordpress.com which shows that not all Mac users love glossy screens, and the many specific rebuttals from users that mere tilting the screen does not solve the glare problem. Apple solved the glare problem by providing anti-glare screens for the 15" and 17" MacBook Pros, but Phil does not care a stuff about the glare problem for 13" MacBook Pros, iMacs and desktop Cinema Displays, as long as the money rolls in to increase Apple's $100 billion mountain of stash. So it strikes me that Phil is Apple's spin man, and he's paid handsomely because he is excellent at spin.

On the other hand, Apple devices often lead customer satisfaction surveys, including those with glossy displays. The advantage of matte isn't clear. Glossy is often prefered in environments where you don't have reflections. Matte can also actually worsen contrast when used outdoors since reflections are spread out more evenly across the display.

I think Apple offered the matte choice in a trial run, but not enough chose them for the work to be worth it for them, hence being discontinued in MacBook Air. It makes no sense for Apple from a financial perspective to build products that the majority of their users are dissatisfied with.

WeegieMac
Jun 9, 2012, 05:36 AM

I take it you know Phil personally and have hands on experience of his work at Apple in the past and his future visions for the company. It's just that you went on at some length, appearing to have some in depth knowledge ... or was in just another post full of self opinion wrapped up grammatically to sound more factual than it actually is?

blow45
Jun 9, 2012, 06:32 PM
I take it you know Phil personally

Yeah we play golf together....

katewes
Jun 13, 2012, 07:42 AM
On the other hand, Apple devices often lead customer satisfaction surveys, including those with glossy displays. The advantage of matte isn't clear. Glossy is often prefered in environments where you don't have reflections. Matte can also actually worsen contrast when used outdoors since reflections are spread out more evenly across the display.

I think Apple offered the matte choice in a trial run, but not enough chose them for the work to be worth it for them, hence being discontinued in MacBook Air. It makes no sense for Apple from a financial perspective to build products that the majority of their users are dissatisfied with.

The key to your statement is "from a financial perspective". If the sole and only goal is to make a $100 billion mountain of cash - and stuff the responsibilities of being a provider of a major OS used by people from all walks of life, including professionals - then, sure, do what Apple seems to be doing.

There are some corporations (can't think of many) that balance the GREED IS GOOD thing, with responsibility for being the provider of tools used by people in society. Generally, with this philosophy, the funds from big selling items helps fund those items with lesser sales, but for important segments of the market. Hence, professionals need matte, non-reflective screens; 17" notebooks, Mac Pros with the latest tech; desktop monitors with non-reflective screens; etc. Providing such features needed by a smaller segment of the market would not dent the $100 billion mattress on which Apple sleeps.

It really comes down to attitude -- and whether MONEEE is the 100% only criteria that drives Apple's decisions, or whether there is any room for caring for the needs of professional users.

stockscalper
Jun 13, 2012, 08:00 AM
I really do;t know why super fandroids like you are even members out here... You clearly don't know **** about apple, its history, its functioning methods or its products...

sigh...

Sorry, but I would venture that I know more about Apple than you do. I've been a Mac user from the very beginning and have stuck with them through all their ups and downs. And having rode that roller coaster I can see the same movie being replayed again.

rjayjohn120
Jun 13, 2012, 09:50 AM
It is easy to be overwhelmed when trying to figure out which ecommerce platform is right for your online store. Be sure to take your time and really think about what you want from your ecommerce business and then explore each platform thoroughly.

best ecommerce platform (http://www.best-ecommerce-platform.com/)

TheNextBigThing
Jun 23, 2012, 11:22 PM

lol. :D