PDA

View Full Version : The Evil Nature of iPad Gaming

Huntn
Jun 8, 2012, 10:11 AM
It does not have to be, but imo, The Simpson's game- Tapped Out (http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/04/the-simpsons-tapped-out/) should be avoided at all costs. I wrote about this a while ago in the iPad section when our Grandson rang up approx $500 in donut charges. Apple was kind enough to do a one time refund. Since that time, I've got restrictions turned on to include no app purchases, no in-game purchases, and I'm the only one who knows the restrictions password. Problem solved.

But I notice my wife is playing this game and she gets frustrated when she can unlock a new building in Springfield, but she needs $30000 to buy it and she only has $20000. Boy buying those donuts sure seems tempting except for the fact that you can buy a full fledged AAA game and spend only $50. Plus more and more MMOs are going to no-subscription, so in the case of Tapped Out, it's a manipulative scam allowing addiction prone individuals to purchase what could amount to thousands of dollars of in-game items.

What other games like this are out there?

Evil Lies Within the City Limits:
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Simpsons-660x495.jpg

twisted-pixel
Jun 8, 2012, 11:14 AM
saw this was becoming a huge trend 18 months or so ago...you get games that you can 'play' but not really get into unless you spent money on in-app purchases (tap zoo was one that my step daughter got heavily into)

most of the sim apps seem to be like this..to get anywhere takes either a few weeks or some real cash

and it's so easy to do, I know that warnings etc were introduced but it's still too easy for kids to buy stuff without realising it or tracking how much they spend

wadjj
Jun 8, 2012, 12:14 PM
It is definitely evil to lure kids to ridiculous purchases. But concerning you wife, that's definitely her problem.

Traps like this are NOT NEW AT ALL, on PC or even arcade the same or similar tricks existed long ago, the sole reason for this to be such a huge problem is that a 5 year old has little if any access to pc or arcade AND money.

MadGoat
Jun 8, 2012, 10:46 PM
I have never bought fake money in games, never will.

The only time I will do IAP is for new content(new missions, maps, etc... or to pay a developer to remove ads.)

I can't believe people spend money on fake money,

Ay_Zimmy
Jun 9, 2012, 12:11 AM
I have never bought fake money in games, never will.

The only time I will do IAP is for new content(new missions, maps, etc... or to pay a developer to remove ads.)

I can't believe people spend money on fake money,

I agree, just play and earn it yourself.. Imagine someone saying, give me your real money, and you can have this fake money, so you can buy this fake house, in this fake game, with your fake character... Holy smokes does that sound bad.

Mak47
Jun 9, 2012, 12:14 AM
I'm not a fan of this either. My self control is typically strong enough to resist the urge, but the way some of these games are designed, it makes it impossible to advance without coughing up some loot. They're well made and can be quite addictive--and this isn't just for kids.

MadGoat
Jun 10, 2012, 02:55 PM
I agree, just play and earn it yourself.. Imagine someone saying, give me your real money, and you can have this fake money, so you can buy this fake house, in this fake game, with your fake character... Holy smokes does that sound bad.

And any game that says you need to buy these fake dollars in order to advance to the next level sometime this year, gets deleted from my devices.

arcite
Jun 10, 2012, 04:50 PM
I agree it's insidious, and preys on people's innate addictive personalities when it comes to playing these games. There have been many studies on how the psychology of the brain is impaired and open to suggestion when heavily involved in these types of games. The game developers are just exploiting human nature....of course when you combine this with a kid who may not know how much their in-game purchases are, it clearly spells trouble.

At least Apple provides a block to in-game purchases. I turn it on for myself so I don't accidentally activate my credit card. :D

I also pledge never to partake in in-game purchases.

Huntn
Jun 10, 2012, 05:16 PM
And any game that says you need to buy these fake dollars in order to advance to the next level sometime this year, gets deleted from my devices.

A wise man/woman/human you are! :)

I agree it's insidious, and preys on people's innate addictive personalities when it comes to playing these games. There have been many studies on how the psychology of the brain is impaired and open to suggestion when heavily involved in these types of games. The game developers are just exploiting human nature....of course when you combine this with a kid who may not know how much their in-game purchases are, it clearly spells trouble.

At least Apple provides a block to in-game purchases. I turn it on for myself so I don't accidentally activate my credit card. :D

I also pledge never to partake in in-game purchases.

Do other tablets offer "restrictions" to prevent in-game purchases I wonder?

ManUMark
Jun 10, 2012, 05:43 PM
Yes its something Apple should look at and a good way to combat it would be to have a spend limit on all IGP. I never by upgrades for games and avoid ones with a long list of IGPs. A good warning for other drawn in gmaers young and old.

Jessica Lares
Jun 10, 2012, 05:53 PM
And that's why I simply don't play games anymore. Unless it's a $5-10 one, I'm not interested. Too many people can sit and play these games all day, yet can't afford anything else. It's a big waste of time and your money. I really hope they pass a law against these type of games soon.