Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_tv_2010_oblique-150x100.jpg
Following up on its report from last week claiming that Apple will show off the operating system for its future television set product at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference, BGR now briefly reports that Apple will be using the event to introduce a new software development kit (SDK) to allow third-party developers to build apps for the Apple TV.
We have heard from a trusted source that Apple will be introducing a TV SDK at WWDC next week. This would enable third-party developers to create software for Apple's TV products.
The report reveals no other details on Apple plans, but we do note that Steve Jobs himself admitted just as the revised Apple TV was launching in September 2010 that the company could open an App Store for the Apple TV "when the time is right".

With rumors of an Apple television set continuing to build, Apple may now consider the time right to begin allowing developers to build apps for the existing Apple TV set-top box ahead of the company's larger entry into the market.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Set to Open Up Apple TV to Third-Party Developers at WWDC

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
If we can get some XMBC and Plex action like this on the 1080p Apple TV and not worry about jailbreaking I'll buy 3.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
you know what this means right? some developers have already had access to the Apple TV SDK and will be present to demo some apps!

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Finally!!! come out with some controller hardware, video game developers jump on board, bye bye xbox!!! hello iTV!!

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
I'll definitely pick one up if this happens! Does this mean we'll finally get iPlayer?

I don't really understand the real purpose of apps on your TV. Also the ATV has a very small amount of storage (8gb?).

I think what makes more sense is to have "companion" apps on your iPhone/iPad that can send a secondary screen to the TV and then use the iOS device to control the TV.. Similar (I think) to that smartglass thing microsoft announed.

edit: I know this can kind of already be accomplished (on a few games), but I think apple could really develop the capability and add a new "Apple TV" section to the App store. Also, just to note, I think these apps should be standalone apps for the iOS device also, but then a press of the airplay button would turn it into a companion app.

edit 2: I just thought of an extra perk of the iPhone companion app. Anytime I am at a friends who has an ATV I can just whip out my iPhone and use all my apps and content with all my settings and everything.

Plus once/if the iTV comes out the companion apps could probably be easily converted to download directly to the iTV. The reason I suggest this is because a) the iTV could have more storage and b) it could have an even swifter way to control the content (gestures or siri) that isn't currently capable on the ATV.

Last edited:

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
The time has been right for years. Could you imagine where the iPhone would be today if they never created the App Store for it. Now imagine what would have happened if they had released the App Store along with the Apple TV 2.

If this is true, then hard times are ahead for all of the other STB's on the market today.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I sure hope so, been waiting since day one. Would be nice to run apps on the device instead of streaming from the iPad. :)

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
I still hold by the idea that a television set is NOT what they're planning. I think the "cracked" format is the current Apple TV. They're cheap, upgradable and gives a user freedom to do what they will with their tv screen. Imagine having an obsolete tv in 3 years and having to buy a new one. That's not a perfect solution, therefore, not apple.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
If we can get some XMBC and Plex action like this on the 1080p Apple TV and not worry about jailbreaking I'll buy 3.

You'll never get XBMC while they still rely on FFmpeg for player, as its open source and will not be allowed as such into Apples ecosystem. You will most likely get Plex though, which is better anyways.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Am I the only one wondering why they would continue development on the AppleTV box if an Apple-branded TV set is (supposedly) just around the corner? Seems to me that this rumor makes the TV rumor a little less likely.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I don't really understand the real purpose of apps on your TV. Also the ATV has a very small amount of storage (8gb?).

I think what makes more sense is to have "companion" apps on your iPhone/iPad that can send a secondary screen to the TV and then use the iOS device to control the TV.. Similar (I think) to that smartglass thing microsoft announed.

Hulu Plus is a good example. I would rather have the app running on the Apple TV instead of tying up my iPad streaming the content.

Sure, 8GB is small by today's standards but there are plenty of usable iPhones out there with 8GB so it isn't unreasonable.

Smartglass? You mean like AirPlay from an iPad? ;)

enjoyfebruary

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
Please Please Please PLEX. I will ditch my Roku so fast if they open the ATV up to developers. Apple, you've got my $100 if you can do this.

mac26

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
With all these reports about Apple launching new things at WWDC, WWDC is going to be awesome:

- possibly Retina Macbook (Pro)
- iOS 6
- OS X 10.8
- Possibly all Macs updated at once (including Mac Pro)
- possibly new iPhone
- Apple TV for developers
the list goes on and on

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
About time too.

No more, 'Oh, Netflix... what about Lovefilm?'

There'll be an App for that/

This will see the Apple TV become a HUGE product, not a minor one.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
If true, this is WAY bigger news than retina macs. Every network, HBO, movie streaming service, and hulu are going to drop apps immediately.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I don't really understand the real purpose of apps on your TV

Look at a product like Roku which has tons of "channels" (as apps). Instead of having one company who publicly calls the :apple:TV a hobby showing it a little love when they feel like it, you can have hundreds or thousands of developers filling in the gaps on all of the things various pools of people wish that it could do.

Also look at the jailbreak features for :apple:TV. These exist because those developers want more out of the little box than it delivers "as is". With an app store some of those kinds of "apps" could become apps (without a jailbreak required). Again, it extends the functionality for those interested in "more".

Thirdly, mentally time travel back to when the iPhone launched with just the handful of apps that Apple chose to include. Imagine it it had stayed that way (only Apple developing apps for the iPhone). Now think about how much utility & fun were added when the third parties got to contribute apps. That should frame the concept of potential for this little iDevice too (imagine what the third parties will be able to do... and then think about what you can't imagine that they'll do too).

Personally, this is (IMO) the best rumor for WWDC. Sure I definitely need a new Macbook Pro but I'm more excited about this rumor than the others.

undies1993

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Michigan
With all these reports about Apple launching new things at WWDC, WWDC is going to be awesome:

- possibly Retina Macbook (Pro)
- iOS 6
- OS X 10.8
- Possibly all Macs updated at once (including Mac Pro)
- possibly new iPhone
- Apple TV for developers
the list goes on and on

I don't see a new iPhone appearing. The others seem possible.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
This could be big... lot's of great possibilities this would open up for the living room and tighter integration between iDevices.

Hope this one is true (and works with my 2nd gen ATV)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.