PDA

View Full Version : WWDC Banner Confirms iOS 6 Announcement

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 8, 2012, 01:44 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08/wwdc-banner-confirms-ios-6-discussion-and-name/)

Instagram user Zac Altman has posted a photo (http://instagr.am/p/Ln1hWRhMqE/) showing a new banner going up at the Moscone West convention center confirming that Apple will be unveiling iOS 6 at next Monday's keynote address.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/ios_6_banner.jpg

iOS 6 has been assumed to be a major topic of discussion for the event, but Apple has so far mentioned only that it will discuss the "future of iOS" at the event. The banner also displays a silver-colored theme that has been rumored to making its way to the iPhone to replace the blue theme present in many of Apple's apps. The silver theme has already been showing up on the iPad, but rumors of an Apple mapping app have suggested that the silver theme will moving to the smaller screen as well.

With Apple having dropped numbering and other descriptors from its latest model of the iPad earlier this year, there has been speculation that the company may follow suit with other products such as the iPhone. Today's banner indicates that the company will at least continue marketing iOS using its version number.

Update: A clear shot from CNet (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57449792-37/apple-teases-wwdc-2012-with-ios6-banner-pictures):

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/ios6_610x407-1.jpg

iOS 6 icon cropped from CNet's image (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57449792-37/apple-teases-wwdc-2012-with-ios6-banner-pictures) shows the background is water ripples:

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/6.png

Article Link: WWDC Banner Confirms iOS 6 Announcement (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08/wwdc-banner-confirms-ios-6-discussion-and-name/)

nuckinfutz
Jun 8, 2012, 01:44 PM
Yes!!!!

I'm so ready to see the OS that's going to be powering my new iPhone this fall. iCloud me baby!

Blakjack
Jun 8, 2012, 01:46 PM
I really don't think any of us needed confirmation that iOS 6 would be discussed.

twochoicestom
Newsflash: Bears **** in woods!

Timoke6
Me likey :D

jasonxneo
Jun 8, 2012, 01:47 PM
ios 6! could mean some information on the new iphone! yes!!!!! :D

newyorksole
why the hell would people expect the numbering system to be dropped from iOS? frequent updates/builds make it necessary for operating systems to be numbered....

Peace
There's something weird about that photo. where was it taken from ? It looks like the street and the glass seem to meld.

nfl46
Jun 8, 2012, 01:48 PM
I can't wait to get Beta 1 on my iPhone 4S next week. It seems like every year, Beta 1's have less and less bugs in them.

chrmjenkins
Not the new iOS? How about iOS 5S?

M-O
the 6 on that logo looks like it was made with liquid metal!

also, am i the only one who can see right through that street pole?

drewisanapple
Looks like the banner has a slogan with it, does anyone know what that says?

Personally I'm really excited for Monday.

nfl46
Jun 8, 2012, 01:49 PM
There's something weird about that photo. where was it taken from ? It looks like the street and the glass seem to meld.

Its a filter--hence Instagram.

lunarworks
Jun 8, 2012, 01:50 PM
why the hell would people expect the numbering system to be dropped from iOS? frequent updates/builds make it necessary for operating systems to be numbered....

Yup. With that logic, OS X shouldn't be numbered because Macs aren't numbered.

Dwalls90
Jun 8, 2012, 01:50 PM

It was taken with the camera up near the glass so it's reflecting onto the street decor.

BornAgainApple
Jun 8, 2012, 01:51 PM
Guess I'll need to cancel any appointments from 1PM-3PM :apple:

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 8, 2012, 01:52 PM
Nice Photoshop work!

Peace
Jun 8, 2012, 01:52 PM

You are confusing software with hardware.

:)

Ryth
Jun 8, 2012, 01:53 PM
Yes!!!!

I'm so ready to see the OS that's going to be powering my new iPhone this fall. iCloud me baby!

This fall? The iPhone is coming sooner then fall son. July/August at the latest. Last years delay was a fluke.

Rogifan
Ok so what are the expectations for iOS 6 besides new map app and Facebook integration?

Eorlas
Can't wait to see what ios6 will bring!

If Apple introduces any of the quick texting features that BiteSMS provides, I wouldn't really need to jailbreak. Perhaps Apple will have finally found a solution that pleases their standards that won't require us to switch apps just to quickly send or respond to texts.

Too bad I'll be on a flight back to the US while the main presentation is happening =( Hopefully there's wifi available on the flight!

Reeebo
iOS6 needs to have widgets. A homescreen of just squares is too boring and limiting.

Rogifan
Jun 8, 2012, 01:54 PM
This fall? The iPhone is coming sooner then fall son. July/August at the latest. Last years delay was a fluke.

Then what big item do they have for the fall quarter?

SandboxGeneral
Jun 8, 2012, 01:55 PM

Looks like from inside a shop across the street from the banners.

nepalisherpa
Jun 8, 2012, 01:56 PM
Monday should be exciting! :)

gatearray
Jun 8, 2012, 01:56 PM

Oh, they thought it was just gonna be the new iOS. :)

sweetload
Jun 8, 2012, 01:57 PM
"Instagram user Zac Altman..."

Altman be praised!

zub3qin
Jun 8, 2012, 01:58 PM
I call hoax. Apple would never release an OS logo that looks like that.
People are going to be pissed. The font size is off. I think it is photoshopped. Someone is trying to drive up traffic to their website. I call hoax. I see a reflection where it doesn't belong. I think this is a controlled leak by Apple to gauge consumer reaction. They have 2 logos in the pipeline, and want to see what we think of each.

newyorksole

Exactly. Hardware = once a year and can be identified by year, software, not so much

shurcooL
2.5 years in and finally my 3GS will (most likely) not be able to run the latest iOS software. It was a good ride little buddy. :apple:

pgiguere1
Jun 8, 2012, 01:59 PM

It's taken from right in front of the glass. The WWDC / iOS 6 banners are inside the building, while the street lamp, street and trees are the reflections behind the photographer.

Oh, and the photographer is invisible of course! :cool:

nfl46

I really hope so! August would be nice...by then, we'll be done with iOS 6 beta testing.

newyorksole
Oh, they thought it was just gonna be the new iOS. :)

Lol basicallyyyy

TechDudeGeorge
If the logo is real, it looks silver and black compared to the waterdrops in iOS4 and 5. I hope it's confirmation of the silver theme.

Hastings101
Whatever, I'm still gonna call it the New iOS. Numbers are so last year.

AlphaVictor87
anyone else stupidly try to move their head to get the glare out of the way and see whats written below in the smaller text?

haha i did! :o

drewisanapple
Jun 8, 2012, 02:00 PM
I call hoax. Apple would never release an OS logo that looks like that.
People are going to be pissed. The font size is off. I think it is photoshopped. Someone is trying to drive up traffic to their website. I call hoax. I see a reflection where it doesn't belong. I think this is a controlled leak by Apple to gauge consumer reaction. They have 2 logos in the pipeline, and want to see what we think of each.

1.) What?
2.) New Logo Exist. Better picture on 9to5Mac.

RoboCop001
Jun 8, 2012, 02:01 PM
Either the street is a very intense reflection, or the banners are the reflection, and the image is flipped lol, maybe someone took it from the inside, and decided to take a picture of the reflection so as to not be caught.

But that's probably not it. Probably the reflection is of the street. Because... why take the time to flip it...

Hastings101
2.5 years in and finally my 3GS will (most likely) not be able to run the latest iOS software. It was a good ride little buddy. :apple:

Aww, you should think positive. Apple might still support it for some odd reason

drewisanapple
If the logo is real, it looks silver and black compared to the waterdrops in iOS4 and 5. I hope it's confirmation of the silver theme.

Blue and Silver. The blue back ground is rounded-lines with the silver 6. It's very sleek.

grmatt
Looks like the banner has a slogan with it, does anyone know what that says?

Personally I'm really excited for Monday.

Was wondering the same thing. I can only make out "operating." Quick, we need a reporter on the scene!

;)

Ryth
Then what big item do they have for the fall quarter?

Fall would be better for say the TV or even something new we don't know about.

I really hope so! August would be nice...by then, we'll be done with iOS 6 beta testing.

With the amount of part leaks, the phone is definitely in high gear in terms of production.

xAnthony
Jun 8, 2012, 02:02 PM
Every year I've gotten my hopes up for the new iOS and I've been disappointing every year. (Except for a few features from iOS 5 which I love) ... This year I'm more excited than ever and I really hope Apple blows us away!

Moonjumper
Jun 8, 2012, 02:02 PM
Silver replacing blue in iOS. Fine, but nothing major.

Silver replacing the fake materials in Game Center and others. Yes please!

nuckinfutz
Jun 8, 2012, 02:03 PM

Thanks Dad!!! Be easy on mom tonight :p

:apple:

I just want to see how much of "Da Googles" remain in iOS.

bushido
Jun 8, 2012, 02:03 PM
thank god, i was afraid we'd end up with iOS 5.5 or something ^^

Monday cant come soon enough!!!

pmas76
Jun 8, 2012, 02:04 PM

drewisanapple
Was wondering the same thing. I can only make out "operating." Quick, we need a reporter on the scene!

;)

It says "the world's most advanced mobile operating system"

anzio

;)

"The world's most advanced mobile operating system."
http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/header1.jpg

Edit: Beat to the punch.

dialed1
Jun 8, 2012, 02:06 PM
So excited oh man

TheStoof
They need to make a theme studio. They are missing the ball on this money printer.

People will PAY to change how the iPhone looks! (I won't because there are free and beautiful themes on DreamBoard.)

lunarworks

Good times.

http://i.imgur.com/zYJFK.jpg

Can't wait for 7. ;)

Ryth
Jun 8, 2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks Dad!!! Be easy on mom tonight :p

:apple:

I just want to see how much of "Da Googles" remain in iOS.

Da Googles I bet is Da Gone.

:p

I really think Tim is going to surprise everyone at this event and literally open up a flood gate of stuff. I think it's going to be an EPIC proportion of smack downs on the industry.

From new Macs to also announcing even the new iPhone.

I mean iOS is usually announced with the phone isnt it?

frunkis54
Jun 8, 2012, 02:07 PM

Altman be praised!

So say we all.

Roessnakhan
Jun 8, 2012, 02:08 PM

If the iOS 5 background (http://images.apple.com/ios/images/overview_hero.png) is any indication, I guess that'll be the default background for iOS 6? Looks like water ripples.

grmatt
Jun 8, 2012, 02:08 PM
It says "the world's most advanced mobile operating system"

Well, there we go. Doesn't tell us much.

Drunken Master
Jun 8, 2012, 02:09 PM
I'm gonna have to delete some stuff on my phone to make room for this!

Ryth
Jun 8, 2012, 02:09 PM
Well, there we go. Doesn't tell us much.

It tells us that most possibly that the iPhone could be announced at this...

Most thought this was going to be about OSX and Lion only...

saving107
Jun 8, 2012, 02:11 PM

That must mean that the operating system is going to be made out of liquid metal.

dannywaugh1
woohoo looking forward to this!

Also cant wait to see what the imac will be like also.

verniesgarden

the texture on the logo makes me think "fingerprint"

iceterminal
This just in...

Apple iOS 6 to be announced at this years WWDC conference.
In other news, water wet / grass green. Film at 11.

duction
Jun 8, 2012, 02:12 PM
they will comeup with a way to use that extra space on the screen :rolleyes:

cant wait!

TechDudeGeorge
Jun 8, 2012, 02:12 PM
From the close view of the logo, looks like the default wallpaper on the new iPad, so with the drops gone, looks like new default wallpaper.
The silver still makes me think a new theme going along with other rumours.

Dizzy11523
Jun 8, 2012, 02:13 PM
I hope iOS6 gets a major overhaul. I'm sick up looking at a bunch of app icons. I'm ready to switch to a Windows phone. :mad:

TennisandMusic
Jun 8, 2012, 02:14 PM
Oh no, now they are using "the worlds most advanced" tagline for iOS? That doesn't even stand in the OS X world really, I wish I knew where they get off doing that. It's simply not true.

newyorksole
Jun 8, 2012, 02:14 PM
Every year I've gotten my hopes up for the new iOS and I've been disappointing every year. (Except for a few features from iOS 5 which I love) ... This year I'm more excited than ever and I really hope Apple blows us away!

I think we are in for a real treat. I have a really good feeling about it.

drewisanapple
Jun 8, 2012, 02:19 PM
Oh no, now they are using "the worlds most advanced" tagline for iOS? That doesn't even stand in the OS X world really, I wish I knew where they get off doing that. It's simply not true.

This is their third year of saying this. Why freak out now?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ios/

Ryth
Jun 8, 2012, 02:23 PM
I don't have time to look this up (but I have time to be here on the forums and type this =P)

Can anyone find out when each iOS has been announced and if the new iPhone has been announced with it also?

Or does iOS get it's own event?

nuckinfutz

Of course is it. Advanced is subjective and thus many companies can make this claim.

Eadfrith
One thing we can be sure of though, It wil have "Over one hundred new features" ™

RalfTheDog
Jun 8, 2012, 02:24 PM
This is a bit shocking. You guys think Apple will be making a new phone? They built a new one last year. Another one would be a bit excessive.

I hope the rumors are true that Apple will release a bunch of new utilities that help users jailbreak their iPhones and iPads.

drewisanapple
Jun 8, 2012, 02:24 PM
I don't have time to look this up (but I have time to be here on the forums and type this =P)

Can anyone find out when each iOS has been announced and if the new iPhone has been announced with it also?

Or does iOS get it's own event?

iOS comes first to be tested, then hardware later.

Ryth
Jun 8, 2012, 02:27 PM
iOS comes first to be tested, then hardware later.

Thanks! :)

the8thark
Jun 8, 2012, 02:31 PM
MacRumors actually getting evidence before saying something is confirmed?
I thought this is impossible. But there's always a first for something. This article.

iOS6 does look rather nice though from the rumours.

paradox00
Jun 8, 2012, 02:35 PM
It tells us that most possibly that the iPhone could be announced at this...

Most thought this was going to be about OSX and Lion only...

Actually, iOS 6 was completely expected, not a surprise at all.

Apple typically releases the new version of iOS to developers a few months before the phone launches. Apple announced iOS 5 at WWDC in June last year and released the iPhone 4S in October, so don't be disappointed if they don't announce the new iPhone. That's just standard practice for Apple. All these iPhone leaks are interesting though, I wouldn't mind seeing the phone come early.

Asclepio
Jun 8, 2012, 02:36 PM
instagram trash!

shortenjam88
Jun 8, 2012, 02:38 PM
Come next year I think they will conjoin OS X and iOS to create a single software platform. They will obviously use different formats on the Macs/Mobile Devices...what do you guys think?

newyorksole
Jun 8, 2012, 02:38 PM
this also means that we'll get an iPhone release date. whenever iOS 6 comes out is when the new iPhone will come out.

hope they give a more specific release date for iOS.

mrxak
Jun 8, 2012, 02:40 PM
Good thing we confirmed that it's going to be called iOS 6. I was worried for a minute there.

In all seriousness, though, I'm pretty excited for any scrap of news about WWDC at this point. Doesn't matter if it's boring or obvious, I need my fix!

ngenerator

Altman be praised!

You win, well done!

bushido
either the "new iPhone" does not change much or the iOS6 will give something away in advance and they might as well just announce the phone. like if the screen size changes, wouldnt they have to announce that in advance other wise the iOS6 beta will be pointless

e. g.

hey devs we gave you the iOS6 beta a few months ago to adjust your apps but LOL what we didnt tell you is that the screen size is gonna be different, so you have to do it all over again

AlphaVictor87
Jun 8, 2012, 02:46 PM
this also means that we'll get an iPhone release date. whenever iOS 6 comes out is when the new iPhone will come out.

hope they give a more specific release date for iOS.

eh they didn't do it with iOS 5, pretty sure at WWDC last year they just said "coming this fall"

Ryth
Jun 8, 2012, 02:51 PM
eh they didn't do it with iOS 5, pretty sure at WWDC last year they just said "coming this fall"

That's better then "coming whenever..."

bedifferent
Jun 8, 2012, 02:59 PM
That's better then "coming whenever..."

Every time an Apple product/event is announced or "rumored", it's like bad foreplay; all this build up and then... ;)

lilo777
Does the "world's most advanced mobile operating system" finally get a file system?

applefanDrew
I'm now 100% sure Apple will be unveiling the next iPhone at this event. They just wouldn't talk about iOS 6 without the next generation hardware. I can't wait.

Face palm.

sweetbrat
I'm now 100% sure Apple will be unveiling the next iPhone at this event. They just wouldn't talk about iOS 6 without the next generation hardware. I can't wait.

Ummm...they have in the past. Why do you think they wouldn't this time?

applefanDrew
Jun 8, 2012, 03:01 PM
Does the "world's most advanced mobile operating system" finally get a file system?

At this point, a file system would make it less advanced. Let's get to the file system-less future!

saving107
Jun 8, 2012, 03:02 PM

Why not? They have for the last 4 years.

Hardware always follows software 2-3 months later.

xAnthony
Jun 8, 2012, 03:03 PM
I think we are in for a real treat. I have a really good feeling about it.

I really hope so. I'm looking forward to it.

newyorksole
Jun 8, 2012, 03:08 PM
either the "new iPhone" does not change much or the iOS6 will give something away in advance and they might as well just announce the phone. like if the screen size changes, wouldnt they have to announce that in advance other wise the iOS6 beta will be pointless

e. g.

hey devs we gave you the iOS6 beta a few months ago to adjust your apps but LOL what we didnt tell you is that the screen size is gonna be different, so you have to do it all over again

yooo I swear I was JUST gonna post the same thing Lol. they HAVE to show the new phone then...

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/header1.jpg?w=657&h=492

paradox00
Jun 8, 2012, 03:09 PM

Honestly, that's not an advanced feature. It's a dated one. Manually organizing files is the opposite of advanced. That's not saying that there aren't times where it can be useful, though, there are times. Things like libraries are more advanced features though.

newyorksole
Jun 8, 2012, 03:10 PM

I know. That's why I said I hope they give a more specific date. If they say "Fall" again then we can expect the phone then. But if they say "Coming September" then that's when we can expect it.

miniroll32
Jun 8, 2012, 03:11 PM
Lovin' the idea that iOS could have a more prominent silver U.I. People complain about OS X Lion looking too 'plain', but at the end of the day, this is done to draw attention to colours when they do become visible.

It's just smarter overall and will unify the look of OS X and iOS.

1080p
Jun 8, 2012, 03:11 PM
I can't believe the bad memory people have on these boards. Here is a bit of history:

iPhone (1st Gen) announced Jan 2007
(Released June 2007)

iOS 2.0 (Then called iPhone OS) announced March 2008
(Released July 2008)

iPhone 3G (2nd Gen) announced June 2008
(Released July 2008)

iOS 3.0 (Then known as iPhone OS) announced March 2009
(Released June 2009)

iPhone 3GS (3rd Gen) announced June 2009
(Released June 2009)

iOS 4.0 announced April 2010
(Released June 2010)

iPhone 4 (4th Gen) announced June 2010
(Released June 2010)

iOS 5.0 announced June 2011
(Released October 2011)

iPhone 4S (5th Gen) announced October 2011
(Released October 2011)

iOS 6.0 WILL BE announced June 2012
(Released _____?)

iPhone (6th Gen) will be announced _____?
(Released ______?)

-------------------------------------

My bets are still on a sept/oct release!

w00master
Jun 8, 2012, 03:12 PM
For me, all I want for iOS 6 is one thing:

Third Party app communication.

In other words, I want apps to "talk to each other."

Personally for me, I could care less about: FaceBook Integration, widgets, new UI.

Apps talking to each other IMHO would be enormous. All other stuff for me is just icing.

w00master

paradox00
Jun 8, 2012, 03:12 PM
MacRumors actually getting evidence before saying something is confirmed?
I thought this is impossible. But there's always a first for something. This article.

iOS6 does look rather nice though from the rumours.

There's hardly been any iOS 6 rumours...

Other than Facebook integration, some features from mountain lion, and most likely a new resolution to support, we know very little.

Konrad9
Jun 8, 2012, 03:13 PM
Guess I'll need to cancel any appointments from 1PM-3PM :apple:

Sure would be nice if Apple entered the 21st Century and live-streamed it. You know, like every major company just did at E3, to millions of people online and to Spike TV.

If they can afford to do it, so can Apple, NO excuse.

apolloa
Like was this really news and was it really a surprise? It's WWDC therefore iOS 6 by default surely?

a.gomez
great... Mickey Mouse OS version 6.

w00master
Jun 8, 2012, 03:15 PM
Sure would be nice if Apple entered the 21st Century and live-streamed it. You know, like every major company just did at E3, to millions of people online and to Spike TV.

Sure Apple could do it, but they won't. Guarantee it.

w00master

Ayemerica
Face palm.

Tell me about it. Some people just don't get economics.

paradox00
I can't believe the bad memory people have on these boards. Here is a bit of history:

iPhone (1st Gen) announced Jan 2007
(Released June 2007)

iOS 2.0 (Then called iPhone OS) announced March 2008
(Released July 2008)

iPhone 3G (2nd Gen) announced June 2008
(Released July 2008)

iOS 3.0 (Then known as iPhone OS) announced March 2009
(Released June 2009)

iPhone 3GS (3rd Gen) announced June 2009
(Released June 2009)

iOS 4.0 announced April 2010
(Released June 2010)

iPhone 4 (4th Gen) announced June 2010
(Released June 2010)

iOS 5.0 announced June 2011
(Released October 2011)

iPhone 4S (5th Gen) announced October 2011
(Released October 2011)

iOS 6.0 WILL BE announced June 2012
(Released _____?)

iPhone (6th Gen) will be announced _____?
(Released ______?)

-------------------------------------

My bets are still on a sept/oct release!

I'd bet August/September. Last years model was delayed. It's usually 2-3 months. I need a new phone now though, I'd love to see it come even earlier.

FSMBP
At this point, a file system would make it less advanced. Let's get to the file system-less future!

How do you figure? Currently, if I made a song on my iPad, I have remember which app I made the song in; so, I have go open up Garageband and see if it's there. Then, if it's not, I have go into FL Studio to see if I made it in there. A simpler solution would what I do on my Mac - I have a folder named "Song Demos" that store all my music demos from different apps (which I can have an overview of all my demos in my glance).

Also, if you're working on a project that involves mixed files (a Word Doc, a Photoshop file etc...), you can't group them in iOS & are forced to jump into applications just to view where your files are.

I guess it's not a big deal for people who just use iOS devices to consume media, but if you're creating, it's a drawback.

Nicolas4ever
Jun 8, 2012, 03:17 PM
Why did my post got deleted earlier? i had 40 likes i don't think i was saying sth bad. :confused:

arn
Jun 8, 2012, 03:19 PM
very clear shot from cnet

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/ios6_610x407-1.jpg

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57449792-37/apple-teases-wwdc-2012-with-ios6-banner-pictures

JayJayAbels
Jun 8, 2012, 03:20 PM
Mac Rumors is going to implode come Monday.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Earth came screeching to a halt... lol

the8thark
Jun 8, 2012, 03:22 PM

Add in Blizzcon. They live stream too, to the digital ticket holders.

leesmith2
Jun 8, 2012, 03:23 PM
C'mon guys! Like everything else Apple prior to the iPhone 2, hardware is not numbered, OS is numbered. They're just going back to that standard.

applefanDrew
Jun 8, 2012, 03:25 PM
How do you figure? Currently, if I made a song on my iPad, I have remember which app I made the song in; so, I have go open up Garageband and see if it's there. Then, if it's not, I have go into FL Studio to see if I made it in there. A simpler solution would what I do on my Mac - I have a folder named "Song Demos" that store all my music demos from different apps (which I can have an overview of all my demos in my glance).

Also, if you're working on a project that involves mixed files (a Word Doc, a Photoshop file etc...), you can't group them in iOS & are forced to jump into applications just to view where your files are.

I guess it's not a big deal for people who just use iOS devices to consume media, but if you're creating, it's a drawback.

I do lots of creation in ios and I like the separation o files by app. I know where everything is. Want a pages documents? Open pages. Want a PDF? Open iBooks. Want a music file? Open GarageBand. It hides the "complex" part of computing.

arn
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/6.png

source: CNet http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57449792-37/apple-teases-wwdc-2012-with-ios6-banner-pictures

WeegieMac
very clear shot from cnet

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/ios6_610x407-1.jpg)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57449792-37/apple-teases-wwdc-2012-with-ios6-banner-pictures

Looks like rippling water as opposed to water drops?

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/new-wall-1.png

w00master
Jun 8, 2012, 03:27 PM
I do lots of creation in ios and I like the separation o files by app. I know where everything is. Want a pages documents? Open pages. Want a PDF? Open iBooks. Want a music file? Open GarageBand. It hides the "complex" part of computing.

But what if you want (for example) another app to open up a pdf? Apple will not solve for all of this you know.

w00master

bushido
Jun 8, 2012, 03:28 PM
Personally for me, I could care less about: FaceBook Integration, widgets, new UI.

:eek: that's like saying windows xp is still pretty in 2012

5aga
Jun 8, 2012, 03:28 PM
Looks like rippling water as opposed to water drops?

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/new-wall-1.png

perhaps the poster is implying fluidity, such as interapp communication ...

im hoping for something like that

JayJayAbels
Jun 8, 2012, 03:29 PM

Wait wait wait... will this WWDC not be streamed live???

w00master
Jun 8, 2012, 03:29 PM
:eek: that's like saying windows xp is still pretty in 2012

LOL. True. To be fair, I'd like to see those feature, perhaps what is more accurate is that for me I really want 3rd party apps (and first party apps) to communicate with each other.

Imho, this would advance the OS the most.

w00master

Piggie
Jun 8, 2012, 03:30 PM
Honestly, that's not an advanced feature. It's a dated one. Manually organizing files is the opposite of advanced. That's not saying that there aren't times where it can be useful, though, there are times. Things like libraries are more advanced features though.

Really there should be one place where files of a certain type are stored.

Basic example. There should not have to be separate storage areas for video files for each video player you install.

Video files (like other files) should be stored in one location that all programs can access. It's daft otherwise

Peace
Jun 8, 2012, 03:30 PM

WWDC is never streamed live.

w00master
Jun 8, 2012, 03:31 PM

WWDC has never been streamed live (except for maybe some of the old keynotes), but in the past few years nothing from WWDC has been streamed live.

w00master

saving107
Jun 8, 2012, 03:32 PM

e. g.

Apple did this with iOS 4. Developers spent months working on new apps and then on the day of WWDC Apple was like "oh, by the way, now double the resolution and you have 2 weeks before the iPhone 4 goes on sale, enjoy"

(not a direct quote)

If Apple does stretch out the screen, they can probably do something like what they did with the first iPad, have black bars on both sides (letter box) until the developer updates the app to take advantage of the extra real estate.

bushido
Jun 8, 2012, 03:34 PM
Apple did this with iOS 4. Developers spent months working on new apps and then on the day of WWDC Apple was like "oh, by the way, now double the resolution and you have 2 weeks before the iPhone 4 goes on sale, enjoy"

(not a direct quote)

oh yea, you're right. i forgot there was a phone without a retina display once upon a time :p

that kinda blows even though i'm not a developer

applefanDrew
Jun 8, 2012, 03:37 PM
But what if you want (for example) another app to open up a pdf? Apple will not solve for all of this you know.

w00master

I would use the "open in" feature.

miniroll32
Jun 8, 2012, 03:38 PM

Or it's just a fancy photograph like they usually pick.

w00master
Jun 8, 2012, 03:38 PM
I would use the "open in" feature.

Yes, but the problem here is that there is no official standard for this in the OS. The app devs need to create a specific API in order for this to happen. This is why some apps can use "save in DropBox" whereas others cannot.

This is just one of *many* examples of why iOS *absolutely* needs apps to communicate with each other.

w00master

Radio
Jun 8, 2012, 03:41 PM
I'm crossing my fingers for ping integration .

What do u guys think?

Radio

miniroll32
Jun 8, 2012, 03:42 PM

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/175/315/PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg?1316330080

Kaibelf
Jun 8, 2012, 03:45 PM
I really don't think any of us needed confirmation that iOS 6 would be discussed.

I don't need someone to tell me that I'm getting Christmas presents either, but I still like to see a tree.

5aga
Jun 8, 2012, 03:47 PM
Or it's just a fancy photograph like they usually pick.

aw why ruin the fun? :p

Navdakilla
Jun 8, 2012, 03:47 PM
can't wait!!

Kaibelf
Jun 8, 2012, 03:48 PM

This situation applies to the 0.000000001% of the population who happens to need iOS devices and multiple apps for media creation which simply cannot be handled by 1 or 2 very disparate apps.

Peace
I don't need someone to tell me that I'm getting Christmas presents either, but I still like to see a tree.

Here ya go !

http://markwojtasiak.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/apple_christmas_tree.jpg

NoIdeasOriginal
I'm more excited about iOS 6 then I am about the Euros. Can't wait!

applefanDrew
Jun 8, 2012, 03:49 PM
Yes, but the problem here is that there is no official standard for this in the OS. The app devs need to create a specific API in order for this to happen. This is why some apps can use "save in DropBox" whereas others cannot.

This is just one of *many* examples of why iOS *absolutely* needs apps to communicate with each other.

w00master

Yea that's fine. But a user searchable file system is not the answer. Idk what the answer is...let's see what Apple comes up with!

kiwiboi87
Jun 8, 2012, 03:50 PM
its getting kind of old, all of these people saying there will be a new iPhone shown off at WWDC next week,

won't be happening people,
we won't be getting the first beta of the OS till next week, what makes you think that they will showcase a new phone, to run a old OS?
not that iOS 5.1 is old, but really come on guys,

i must say that the new logo looks more mature,
i like it.
much better then the rain drops,

i have no hopes or exportations for iOS 6, if you don't have any then you won't get disapointed

w00master
Jun 8, 2012, 03:51 PM
Yea that's fine. But a user searchable file system is not the answer. Idk what the answer is...let's see what Apple comes up with!

Not necessarily talkin' about a file system. However, apps need to talk to each other. Just a basic example that I was giving :)

w00master

5aga

Im thinking iCloud will become the official form of a filesystem in iOS. If your documents etc are in the cloud then any app can access them.

thats nowhere near as efficient as a true filesystem but we shall see.

of course I could also be totally wrong lol

Blakjack
Sure Apple could do it, but they won't. Guarantee it.

w00master

Although they probably wont, You still can't make that guarantee especially since Apple has streamed live before.

w00master
Jun 8, 2012, 03:53 PM
Although they probably wont, You still can't make that guarantee especially since Apple has streamed live before.

Hope you're right. I'd love it. However, I'm putting money on that they won't. They haven't streamed live in *any* event in almost 10 years.

Hope I'm wrong.

w00master

Mortalias
Jun 8, 2012, 03:59 PM
I am expecting system wide changes that modernize the grid icon set up and allow for more slick, smooth animations.

The old icon grid system is no longer relevant. It's time for a change!

bushido
Jun 8, 2012, 04:01 PM
I am expecting system wide changes that modernize the grid icon set up and allow for more slick, smooth animations.

The old icon grid system is no longer relevant. It's time for a change!

THANK YOU! too bad you'll most likely get downvoted for that opinion

FSMBP
Jun 8, 2012, 04:02 PM

So you're supposed to know which app you created a document for? So, if I had a report, I'm supposed to remember if I used Pages or Word? It makes it more complex to have to remember which app, especially if I want to "Quick Look" my app like on my Mac without have to open/load an app.

bsellers267
Jun 8, 2012, 04:04 PM
https://img.skitch.com/20120608-1dgh6spqakwammetxj6m4iu5bj.png

Reminds me of a 3D ocean's view in Google Earth. Could the water in the background be representational of the new maps application underway?

ghostface147
Jun 8, 2012, 04:11 PM

I disagree. I think Apple is out of iPod/iTunes ideas and officially moved their iPhone event to September.

bushido
Jun 8, 2012, 04:14 PM
I disagree. I think Apple is out of iPod/iTunes ideas and officially moved their iPhone event to September.

but would they risk losing all those iphone 4 early adopters that are eligible for a upgrade in july to its competition?

announcing it doesnt mean it needs to come out immediately but it would certainly give those early adopters (like myself) something to be waiting for

ghostface147
Jun 8, 2012, 04:14 PM

Just like they announced iOS 5 last June and announced the hardware too right at the same time?

pittpanthersfan
Jun 8, 2012, 04:16 PM
If the screen of the next iPhone is changing dimensions, wouldn't Apple have to announce it alongside iOS 6?

I think that the beta testers would notice the odd new graphics proportions in iOS6 and the cat would be out of the bag. Unless of course there is a boxed-in mode like iPhone apps on iPad.

ghostface147
Jun 8, 2012, 04:16 PM
but would they risk losing all those iphone 4 early adopters that are eligible for a upgrade in july to its competition?

Yep, just like the 3GS adopters had to wait a few extra months to get a 4S. Chances are the loyalists will stay with Apple even if they have to wait for a few extra months. There will be some that stray, but nothing to hurt Apple.

xAnthony
Jun 8, 2012, 04:22 PM

announcing it doesnt mean it needs to come out immediately but it would certainly give those early adopters (like myself) something to be waiting for

That would be a terrible idea for Apple... If they introduced the iPhone 5 now and set the release date for September, they would kill sales for the iPhone 4/4s for 4 months. They could lose millions. Apple would never do such a thing. Apple would rather you go buy an Android device, than to lose 4 months worth of iPhone 4/4S sales.

AlexanderTT
Jun 8, 2012, 04:24 PM
Excitement building!

ghostface147
Jun 8, 2012, 04:24 PM
That would be a terrible idea for Apple... If they introduced the iPhone 5 now and set the release date for September, they would kill sales for the iPhone 4/4s for 4 months. They could lose millions. Apple would never do such a thing. Apple would rather you go buy an Android device, than to lose 4 months worth of iPhone 4/4S sales.

Assuming they announce the hardware. I doubt they will announce hardware.

kiwiboi87
Jun 8, 2012, 04:30 PM
apple won't show the new phone, there just isn't enough time or reason for them to show it at WWDC.
it will come out and be shown in the fall, like last year.
the music keynote/event is now the iPhone

for those with the iPhone 4, waiting a few extra months won't be such a big issue, you will be able to renew your contract in oct.

the screen issue, i think thats something that apple can keep hidden till later on in the beta testing, or that they will have a way apps to be resized with very little work.

WWDC is about the OS, Mac OSX, and iOS.

apple won't take the spotlight away from Mac OSX, just for a phone. will be a silly risky move

xero9
Jun 8, 2012, 04:31 PM
If it's one thing I learned, just accept that fact that iOS 6 will be announced on Monday, and don't think too much about it.

If you watch the keynote as it unfolds you'll likely enjoy the features more then if you build up expectations of what you want it to have. If it doesn't, you'll just end up disappointed and not enjoy anything new that it does.

As always, I expect people to be disappointed that it does have some feature that they really wanted. It's never anything mind blowing, but there's usually a few goodies in there we don't mind having!

CopyCatz
Jun 8, 2012, 04:33 PM
Water in the background? Am I the only one seeing the submerged 6 with a periscope sticking out?

Must mean something...

ekdor
Jun 8, 2012, 04:33 PM

Yea I'm keen to retire my little 3Gs. It's been a great phone. Just minor issues with the home button.

Peace
Jun 8, 2012, 04:36 PM
Water in the background? Am I the only one seeing the submerged 6 with a periscope sticking out?

Must mean something...

It looks like a transparency or an opaque layer.

Consultant
Jun 8, 2012, 04:39 PM
So you're supposed to know which app you created a document for? So, if I had a report, I'm supposed to remember if I used Pages or Word? It makes it more complex to have to remember which app, especially if I want to "Quick Look" my app like on my Mac without have to open/load an app.

Those who want a "file system" are already using something like Dropbox.

Macclone
Jun 8, 2012, 04:44 PM

It is a finger print for their new security features.

Prother
Jun 8, 2012, 04:46 PM
I agree. Why is everybody bashing this post? IF all these rumors are true about a larger screen, they **have to** talk about the resolution change of the new iOS for developers on monday.

For everyone saying that Apple hasn't announced both at once in past years, that's because the iOS hasn't given anything away about the hardware. If the screen size really does increase, then apple has to talk about it on Monday. And they wouldn't give away one of the most important features of the hardware and wait months later to announce the actual device.

That is, IF the screen size increases.

Artey
Jun 8, 2012, 04:48 PM
What's with the "speculation" that a new iPhone would be announced. Who is the person that actually speculates on this?
Ofcourse no new iPhone is going to be announced next week.

Roessnakhan
Jun 8, 2012, 04:48 PM
Oh, you guys, overanalyzing the water ripples in an icon... What did the water droplets in iOS5 mean then? Right.

newyorksole
Jun 8, 2012, 04:55 PM
Oh, you guys, overanalyzing the water ripples in an icon... What did the water droplets in iOS5 mean then? Right.

all it means is that iPhone & iPad will share the same background again.

kmpoboy2
Jun 8, 2012, 04:56 PM
I agree. Why is everybody bashing this post? IF all these rumors are true about a larger screen, they **have to** talk about the resolution change of the new iOS for developers on monday.

For everyone saying that Apple hasn't announced both at once in past years, that's because the iOS hasn't given anything away about the hardware. If the screen size really does increase, then apple has to talk about it on Monday. And they wouldn't give away one of the most important features of the hardware and wait months later to announce the actual device.

Not really, in 2010, when iOS 4 was announce it didn't hint anything about the new resolution. Not even in the betas. The new resolution was announce when the iPhone 4 was announce.

ekdor
Jun 8, 2012, 05:01 PM

Not likely. OSX is gradually loosing that feature in the name of security. They won't give that up on the iOS. Except for their own apps of course.

paradox00
Jun 8, 2012, 05:02 PM
Really there should be one place where files of a certain type are stored.

Basic example. There should not have to be separate storage areas for video files for each video player you install.

Video files (like other files) should be stored in one location that all programs can access. It's daft otherwise

That's probably why I mentioned libraries..

With a traditional OS, you tell the OS where your files are by navigating through a hierarchical list of files and folders. This is not an advanced feature.

With an advanced OS, the OS knows where your files are and brings them up when you need them. iOS has elements of this but it's not all the way there, which is why some people want a traditional file system. My point is that adding a traditional file system would not be an advancement (it's an old/dated concept), although in some cases right now it may be an improvement.

iOS maintains libraries for certain items, like photos which are accessible from any app without you telling the app where to find them. Windows 7 can create libraries from multiple folders. The idea behind a Library is that the user doesn't need to know where the file is, the OS just needs to be able to bring it up for you when you want it.

With a properly set up video library, you wouldn't need to store videos in the same place, the OS would simply know where they all were (for instance, in other app folders) and let you access them from wherever you wanted.

The traditional, visible and hierarchical file system is how we are accustomed to accessing our files, but it's certainly not the most advanced.

ohbrilliance
Jun 8, 2012, 05:06 PM

Confirmed, new iLadder!

Nick16
Jun 8, 2012, 05:08 PM

Nah. Announcing the new iPhone in the fall (September/October) leads to record-breaking sales, and Apple has figured this out. They're going to wow us with what iOS 6 is going to bring, and that's what's going to have to hold us over until the fall/holidays, when they announce the new iPhone. Then they'll break records. Again.

SBlue1
Jun 8, 2012, 05:17 PM
Bring it on! Can't wait!

Ron21
Jun 8, 2012, 05:17 PM
New iPhone 5 will be released on June 29th (5th year anniversary of the original iPhone release).

marcusj0015
Jun 8, 2012, 05:19 PM
That iOS 6 icon is beautiful, SO much better than the iOS 4 & 5 Ones.

twoodcc
Jun 8, 2012, 05:23 PM
looking forward to finding out what goodness iOS 6 will bring

ekdor
Jun 8, 2012, 05:27 PM
Nah. Announcing the new iPhone in the fall (September/October) leads to record-breaking sales, and Apple has figured this out. They're going to wow us with what iOS 6 is going to bring, and that's what's going to have to hold us over until the fall/holidays, when they announce the new iPhone. Then they'll break records. Again.

This is typical Apple strategy I think. No phone announcement. At best they may inform developers of screen changes. And give a roughy announcement date for the hardware. People who want new hardware will wait. iOS6 preview will be the decider. Some don't care and get what's out now and a few will defect.

----------

New iPhone 5 will be released on June 29th (5th year anniversary of the original iPhone release).

Cutting it kind of close given no beta yet. Can't imagine they would waste the date though. Hmm

----------

I hope a little tweake will be to ad a refresh button or mechanism at the bottom of safar. It's a long way to the top of this forum for my Artheritic fingers. Jokes.

Tilpots
Jun 8, 2012, 05:27 PM
Going with the fingerprint folks. Improved security, or something. Maybe you hold your thumb over the camera to unlock. I dunno. Doesn't look like a ripple to me so I'm spekulatin.

miniroll32
Jun 8, 2012, 05:32 PM
Going with the fingerprint folks. Improved security, or something. Maybe you hold your thumb over the camera to unlock. I dunno. Doesn't look like a ripple to me so I'm spekulatin.

Right.....

lilo777
Jun 8, 2012, 05:33 PM
Those who want a "file system" are already using something like Dropbox.

Dropbox obviously has nothing to do with File System. It only exposes iOS deficiencies. OS has file system when you can do Save As/Open File in your apps. With iOS, you can't. Instead, you have to use a patchwork of "features", tricks and weird applications that try to mitigate the absence of a real file system.

Hastings101
Jun 8, 2012, 05:38 PM

Must mean something...

Obviously the next iPhone will be waterproof!

k995
Jun 8, 2012, 05:42 PM
Wauw just what I have been waiting for, a more silver theme. Apple sure knows what is customers want (oh and dont give me the millions but it BS)

Innovation in multiple users/better notifications and widgets not redesigned stock apps, shift the maps application or bloody facebook.

hw007
Jun 8, 2012, 05:44 PM
Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/6.png)

source: CNet http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57449792-37/apple-teases-wwdc-2012-with-ios6-banner-pictures

Am I the only one who sees the following;

Liquid
6 made out of metal

"Liquid Metal"

HW

apolloa
Jun 8, 2012, 05:47 PM
I don't know what I want from iOS 6? I don't want Facebook what so ever, but we will see what happens with that, I don't use Twitter. Apart from that iOS does what I want and I like the way it does it.
I don't want widgets like Android as I think they run the battery down and make the interface too cluttered.

So I will be hopefully pleasantly surprised when they announce the new features. I think they can improve Safari though so will be keen to see what they do with that.
It would also be nice Apple to allow me to delete your apps off the phone!

Cougarcat
Jun 8, 2012, 05:49 PM
I really hope Apple opens FaceTime (promised two years ago) or at least makes a Windows version, with group video chat support. Skype keeps getting worse and worse, but it's the best cross-platform solution available.

GenesisST
Jun 8, 2012, 05:50 PM
1.) What?
2.) New Logo Exist. Better picture on 9to5Mac.

Turn on sarcasm filter...

Blakjack
Jun 8, 2012, 05:50 PM
Hope you're right. I'd love it. However, I'm putting money on that they won't. They haven't streamed live in *any* event in almost 10 years.

Hope I'm wrong.

w00master

I can't remember which event It was, but a couple years ago they streamed an event to apple devices only. I remember specifically because I watched it on my iPad 1 in McDonald's. Hopefully somebody reads this and can confirm the event I'm speaking.

To note......it didn't go so well. Freezes and delays were a huge problem. But then again, the problem may have been McDonald's wifi

SpasticPat
Jun 8, 2012, 05:51 PM

Must mean something...

I DO see that! Good catch!

Cougarcat
Jun 8, 2012, 05:51 PM
I can't remember which event It was, but a couple years ago they streamed an event to apple devices only. I remember specifically because I watched it on my iPad 1 in McDonald's. Hopefully somebody reads this and can confirm the event I'm speaking of.

They streamed the "back to the Mac" event (Lion and new air.) It was probably that.

Piggie
Jun 8, 2012, 05:55 PM
That's probably why I mentioned libraries..

With a traditional OS, you tell the OS where your files are by navigating through a hierarchical list of files and folders. This is not an advanced feature.

With an advanced OS, the OS knows where your files are and brings them up when you need them. iOS has elements of this but it's not all the way there, which is why some people want a traditional file system. My point is that adding a traditional file system would not be an advancement (it's an old/dated concept), although in some cases right now it may be an improvement.

iOS maintains libraries for certain items, like photos which are accessible from any app without you telling the app where to find them. Windows 7 can create libraries from multiple folders. The idea behind a Library is that the user doesn't need to know where the file is, the OS just needs to be able to bring it up for you when you want it.

With a properly set up video library, you wouldn't need to store videos in the same place, the OS would simply know where they all were (for instance, in other app folders) and let you access them from wherever you wanted.

The traditional, visible and hierarchical file system is how we are accustomed to accessing our files, but it's certainly not the most advanced.

That's fine.

At the moment if I have 3 video players, I have to have 3 copies of the same film on the iPad, that is nothing short of moronic for an OS to behave

lilo777
Jun 8, 2012, 05:58 PM
That's fine.

At the moment if I have 3 video players, I have to have 3 copies of the same film on the iPad, that is nothing short of moronic for an OS to behave

Moronic - new "advanced". :confused:

stevelam
Jun 8, 2012, 05:59 PM
That's fine.

Or, get a better video player. Duh.

applebro24
Jun 8, 2012, 06:01 PM

Must mean something...

No, its simply the two-tone style of the font. It matches the "iOS" before it.

OOORRRR it most could signify that new radar feature everyone is talking about. Like a sub, it will allow you to walk around in the dark while it displays the terrain around you. Definitely part of the new maps app. Sweet. :rolleyes:

bushido
Jun 8, 2012, 06:04 PM
Or, get a better video player. Duh.

he obvs means apps on his iPad. its indeed idiotic. lets say i store a file on "Good Player" i cant access the same file with the "VLC" app or the built in "Video" app and therefore would have to store it 3 times on different locations/apps

Rogifan
Jun 8, 2012, 06:09 PM
Would it be too much to ask that the next iPhone have FM radio? And yes I know about Tune-In, iHeart, etc. I'd love to be able to get radio without having to stream it over Wi-Fi or cellular. Especially in an office environment where Wi-Fi isn't available, or isn't allowing for personal use. Apple has FM radio in the iPod Nano so why not the iPhone or ipod Touch?

Yamcha
Jun 8, 2012, 06:19 PM
The iOS6 icon looks awesome =).. I can't wait till WWDC!!

AppleBoyFreak
Jun 8, 2012, 06:19 PM
I've cracked the image!!! The water ripples behind the six means we're getting new wallpapers!!! Omfg finally after two iOS releases we will get new wallpapers. In all seriousness I just realized; ripples show movement so what of we get live wallpapers...? :D

R0bert
Jun 8, 2012, 06:21 PM
The icon has texture, it could mean senseg haptic display !

xAnthony
Jun 8, 2012, 06:21 PM

I'd like to take a hit of that magical stuff you're smoking.

tigress666
Jun 8, 2012, 06:40 PM

Good times.

Image (http://i.imgur.com/zYJFK.jpg)

Can't wait for 7. ;)

I think 7 was a bust... 8.6 was where it started getting good again ;).

cycomiko
Jun 8, 2012, 06:41 PM
Aww, you should think positive. Apple might still support it for some odd reason

Seeing as they still sell it, perhaps they should support it for 2years following its removal from the market?

Thunderhawks
Jun 8, 2012, 06:44 PM
Dropbox obviously has nothing to do with File System. It only exposes iOS deficiencies. OS has file system when you can do Save As/Open File in your apps. With iOS, you can't. Instead, you have to use a patchwork of "features", tricks and weird applications that try to mitigate the absence of a real file system.

Hello, file system on an iOS device?

Depending on the idevice used and its amount of memory, you want to use up that memory to store stuff that you can access many other ways?

LogMeIn lets' you connect to and control your main computer from any place with internet access
Dropbox gives you access to all the files deemed important if you put the app onto your idevice
iCloud or other like services will store whatever you like
Google documents or the like can save and file

and on and on........

Why would anybody want to clutter up an iphone or ipad with files?

If you need that, take along a MacAir or MacBook etc.
Connect to the internet with hotspot feature if that's needed.

tigress666
Jun 8, 2012, 06:44 PM
Why not? They have for the last 4 years.

Hardware always follows software 2-3 months later.

Question, I'm completely ignorant here, wasn't the 3G released before they had the new iOS?

I remember that they released iOS 2 some time after I got my 3G (and I didn't get my 3G right when it came out either, apparently though about a month after it came out, maybe a little sooner)?

I remember it cause it actually made the iphone's browser be stable (the damned thing crashed so much on safari before that it was a testament how much I was really loving my phone that I didn't want to throw it against the wall, it was very reliable to crash constantly. I'm pretty sure if 2 hadn't come out as soon as it did the newness of the phone would eventually wear off and it would start really pissing me off. 2 happily fixed that problem).

Aidan5806
Jun 8, 2012, 06:45 PM
I have to say I like the new logo. It's more organized and serene than the bubble background. Plus, the metallic numbering is just sexy. I love you :apple:

paradox00
Jun 8, 2012, 06:47 PM
That's fine.

I never said iOS performs perfectly, I just said a file system isn't advanced. There are are areas that a file system could improve iOS, but there are other ways to improve it as well.

Although I do have to question why you have a) 3 video players and b) need to keep the same movie on all 3 video players...

lilo777
Jun 8, 2012, 06:51 PM
Hello, file system on an iOS device?

Depending on the idevice used and its amount of memory, you want to use up that memory to store stuff that you can access many other ways?

LogMeIn lets' you connect to and control your main computer from any place with internet access
Dropbox gives you access to all the files deemed important if you put the app onto your idevice
iCloud or other like services will store whatever you like
Google documents or the like can save and file

and on and on........

Why would anybody want to clutter up an iphone or ipad with files?

If you need that, take along a MacAir or MacBook etc.
Connect to the internet with hotspot feature if that's needed.

Dude, relax. Your iPhone storage is full of files, you just do not have direct access to them. As a matter of fact, without explicit file system, you have to duplicate some files (as someone above mentioned - when you have three viewers you have to create a copy of the movie or whatever for each of them to be able to use them. Not to mention the fact that without file system implementation of support for memory cards is impossible. Notice that Android phones can do everything you just mentioned (albeit much more elegantly - as is the case with Dropbox - because of the existence of file system) and then a lot more because they do have a file system.

tigress666
Jun 8, 2012, 06:52 PM

Uh, you do realize last year with the 4S they had a bunch of iphone 3GS early adapters that, yes, apparently they did decide to risk losing some of them due to waiting longer to release the phone.

(Not that I don't want them to release the new phone sooner as I got the 4 the day it came out so my upgrade is available at this point).

AnthonySmith
Jun 8, 2012, 06:57 PM
Live animated wallpapers perhaps? Based on the ripple effect of the iOS6 icon.

MacReloaded
Jun 8, 2012, 07:12 PM
Question, I'm completely ignorant here, wasn't the 3G released before they had the new iOS?

I remember that they released iOS 2 some time after I got my 3G (and I didn't get my 3G right when it came out either, apparently though about a month after it came out, maybe a little sooner)?

I remember it cause it actually made the iphone's browser be stable (the damned thing crashed so much on safari before that it was a testament how much I was really loving my phone that I didn't want to throw it against the wall, it was very reliable to crash constantly. I'm pretty sure if 2 hadn't come out as soon as it did the newness of the phone would eventually wear off and it would start really pissing me off. 2 happily fixed that problem).

iOS 2 was released along with the iPhone 3G.

tigress666
Jun 8, 2012, 07:26 PM
iOS 2 was released along with the iPhone 3G.

Darn, it must have been an update to 2. Either way the version that came with my phone sucked and I'd be shocked if the iphone had a good reputation for stability if they hadn't fixed it (seriously, safari would crash at least two times every time I used it).

Still, I was kinda hoping I was remembering right cause at least it would show that Apple has been willing to release iOS after the phone (mainly cause while I do believe the phone will be out in fall sometime I would totally love a June/July release).

sulpfiction
Jun 8, 2012, 07:34 PM

^^Epic Fail!

----------

I call hoax. They have 2 logos in the pipeline, and want to see what we think of each.

Yeah, Tim Cook actually posted a poll right here on MR to see what iOS logo we like better. :rollseyes:

TimoT
Jun 8, 2012, 07:36 PM
^^Epic Fail!

Why does it fail? It's quite possible considering a lot of leaks we have had. Might not be true, but it's not an epic fail either, IMO.

Gemütlichkeit
Jun 8, 2012, 07:36 PM

44 up votes. just shows you this forum is full of snarky basement dwellers ;)

sulpfiction
Jun 8, 2012, 07:47 PM
This is a bit shocking. You guys think Apple will be making a new phone? They built a new one last year. Another one would be a bit excessive.

I hope the rumors are true that Apple will release a bunch of new utilities that help users jailbreak their iPhones and iPads.

Huh?

sk8er1
Jun 8, 2012, 07:49 PM
Lol what a disappointment it would be if they didn't announce this. Cant wait for June 11

sulpfiction
Jun 8, 2012, 07:53 PM
Why does it fail? It's quite possible considering a lot of leaks we have had. Might not be true, but it's not an epic fail either, IMO.

The fail is the fact that if we don't see an iPhone Monday (the odds of which are slim to none) we won't see it until sept, oct. no way apple is going to hold another event next month for iPhone. If its coming early, it's coming Monday.

tonytien
Jun 8, 2012, 07:57 PM
I find the iOS 6 icon very attractive.

TimoT
Jun 8, 2012, 07:57 PM
The fail is the fact that if we don't see an iPhone Monday (the odds of which are slim to none) we won't see it until sept, oct. no way apple is going to hold another event next month for iPhone. If its coming early, it's coming Monday.

Early/Mid August would still be possible, I guess? I know there is more chance of a Sep/Oct release but on the other hand, the number and scale of leaks we have had can be also considered too high for a Sep/Oct release IMO.

Saladinos
Jun 8, 2012, 08:10 PM
Good. It's clear that users have been asking for a richer UI.

App developers have to do quite a lot of customising these days, because raw iOS standard controls don't have the polish that AppStore users expect. Its usable because Cocoa touch lets you still make amazing apps, but you have to customise basically everything.

The appearance API ion iOS 5 helped, but a more modern standard visual design would be great, too. Greater flexibility in the system controls would also be much appreciated (especially UINavigationBar, UIToolBar, MKAnnotationView), as would some sort of layout container views so that views don't have to be statically placed.

Besides that, I also expect to see OpenCL come to iOS,

heyitsmecarlos
Jun 8, 2012, 08:27 PM

also, am i the only one who can see right through that street pole?

I hate to burst your bubble but they have looked like that since steve jobs changed the name from iphone os 4 to ios 4. And besides when you think about it for a minute, you ask yourself "what the ****** does a software demo have to do with hardware design." just trying to help.:cool:

DeathChill
Jun 8, 2012, 08:29 PM
I find the iOS 6 icon very attractive.

But it's also the kind of icon you can take home to your mother.

whodareswins
Jun 8, 2012, 08:31 PM
I hope iOS6 gets a major overhaul. I'm sick up looking at a bunch of app icons. I'm ready to switch to a Windows phone. :mad:

Couldn't agree more. There needs to be an extra screen with widgets and things.

baxterbrittle
Jun 8, 2012, 08:34 PM
I don't think the new iPhone will be called the New iPhone. I think the change in iPad naming scheme has more to do with it being considered a computer, like an iMac or MacBook, while advertised as the new iMac etc they are still just called an iMac. The confusion with that naming scheme when it comes to iPhone and iPad is that they usually sell the old product at a cheaper price point next to the new product, which they don't do with their computers lines. This means that you will have an iPhone 4S sitting alongside the new iPhone, which I guess is okay. But then you have the issue when the new new iPhone comes out, what do you call the old new iPhone? Or for that matter the new new iPhone? I suppose you could call the old one the iPhone and the new one the new iPhone, but that seems pretty silly. They need a naming convention to differentiate their products that sit side by side, however it doesn't need a carryover name like they have used in the past, just a name to differentiate the low and high end models. So for example, you call them the iPhone and iPhone +, then when the + gets replaced it loses the + moniker and the new one gets the + and so on. At the same time they need to identify that the old model is now the base model, so it should be 'simplified' somehow, for example jamming iPhone 4 innards into a 3GS shell. A bit like the old MacBooks and MacBook Pro's, the high end gets a higher end casing, because that is the premium version.

So they need 2 models at each launch, a high end and a low end, the low end with carry over hardware, but in a low end case and then a high end with new hardware in a high end casing. With each iteration the low and high end have the same names like iPhone and iPhone +. This would eliminate naming confusion and adopt a similar convention to their other naming patterns.

At the moment their naming is all over the place and very un-Apple like.

paradox00
Jun 8, 2012, 08:43 PM
I don't think the new iPhone will be called the New iPhone. I think the change in iPad naming scheme has more to do with it being considered a computer, like an iMac or MacBook, while advertised as the new iMac etc they are still just called an iMac. The confusion with that naming scheme when it comes to iPhone and iPad is that they usually sell the old product at a cheaper price point next to the new product, which they don't do with their computers lines. This means that you will have an iPhone 4S sitting alongside the new iPhone, which I guess is okay. But then you have the issue when the new new iPhone comes out, what do you call the old new iPhone? Or for that matter the new new iPhone? I suppose you could call the old one the iPhone and the new one the new iPhone, but that seems pretty silly. They need a naming convention to differentiate their products that sit side by side, however it doesn't need a carryover name like they have used in the past, just a name to differentiate the low and high end models. So for example, you call them the iPhone and iPhone +, then when the + gets replaced it loses the + moniker and the new one gets the + and so on. At the same time they need to identify that the old model is now the base model, so it should be 'simplified' somehow, for example jamming iPhone 4 innards into a 3GS shell. A bit like the old MacBooks and MacBook Pro's, the high end gets a higher end casing, because that is the premium version.

So they need 2 models at each launch, a high end and a low end, the low end with carry over hardware, but in a low end case and then a high end with new hardware in a high end casing. With each iteration the low and high end have the same names like iPhone and iPhone +. This would eliminate naming confusion and adopt a similar convention to their other naming patterns.

At the moment their naming is all over the place and very un-Apple like.

They'll call them "the new iPhone" and "iPhone (2012)" or "iPhone (6th Generation)". They've already solved this 'problem' with their refurbished macs and iPods.

cyruslemont
Jun 8, 2012, 08:48 PM
Ooft baby, it's coming! Can't wait to hear news about the new iPhone later this year too.

iFile - Integration into all apps, your files can now be saved either within an app or into iFile for exporting onto computer in a faster, more fluid way. It evens allows app files to communicate between each other e.g. save a beat you make in a rhythm app into iFile, you can open it up in Garage band as a track and work with it from there. On top of that, it will feature it's own state of the art file viewer, for reading PDFs, watching movies, listening to audio files. Other features are an extractor for .zip .rar files etc.

That's just my idea of what a file app would be like, it would also decrease the barrier between full web browsers on computers and mobile web browsers by allowing the downloading of files onto phones.

Really that's not such a bad idea and I don't know how it would be going backwards in anyway, I've wanted that feature since the first iPhone. Now I know there's the USB Disk app, but an Apple version would most likely allow a larger amount of flexibility within the iOS and would have greater polish.

marksman
Jun 8, 2012, 08:51 PM
Ok so what are the expectations for iOS 6 besides new map app and Facebook integration?

MySpace integration and Bluetooth Zune sync.

----------

Ooft baby, it's coming! Can't wait to hear news about the new iPhone later this year too.

iFile - Integration into all apps, your files can now be saved either within an app or into iFile for exporting onto computer in a faster, more fluid way. It evens allows app files to communicate between each other e.g. save a beat you make in a rhythm app into iFile, you can open it up in Garage band as a track and work with it from there. On top of that, it will feature it's own state of the art file viewer, for reading PDFs, watching movies, listening to audio files. Other features are an extractor for .zip .rar files etc.

That's just my idea of what a file app would be like, it would also decrease the barrier between full web browsers on computers and mobile web browsers by allowing the downloading of files onto phones.

Really that's not such a bad idea and I don't know how it would be going backwards in anyway, I've wanted that feature since the first iPhone. Now I know there's the USB Disk app, but an Apple version would most likely allow a larger amount of flexibility within the iOS and would have greater polish.

Ifile directly opposes and contradicts everything apple has been trying to do with all their products in the last five years plus. There is a better chance that scientists discover smoking crack five times a day helps you live longer than apple doing something like you suggest.

MythicFrost
Jun 8, 2012, 09:08 PM
I'm going to take a guess and say there's 6 major new features.

ScooterLibby
Jun 8, 2012, 09:16 PM

If you read about the 22nm fab process you'd know that the next generation of LTE chips won't ready for mass distribution until Fall. Apple will not use the current gen LTE because it is too big and power hungry for their needs. Summer release is not happening.

zzLZHzz
Jun 8, 2012, 09:40 PM
then is there still enough time for mountain lion?

FrankHahn
Jun 8, 2012, 09:44 PM

Apple will probably surprise most people with the announcement of the new iPhone at this year's WWDC.

Dreamail
Jun 8, 2012, 10:01 PM
Apple will probably surprise most people with the announcement of the new iPhone at this year's WWDC.
If the new iPhone really has a new aspect ratio, requiring apps to be modified, then WWDC might be a good forum to let developers know about this in advance.

So Apple might indeed announce it now, shipping in September.

Not the first time they've done it.
Though the question remains, how much would this hurt existing iPhone sales in the next 3 months...

cyruslemont
Jun 8, 2012, 10:15 PM
MySpace integration and Bluetooth Zune sync.

----------

Ifile directly opposes and contradicts everything apple has been trying to do with all their products in the last five years plus. There is a better chance that scientists discover smoking crack five times a day helps you live longer than apple doing something like you suggest.

How does it contradict? I thought it would compliment the system? Weren't they looking to make their mobile platform more independent from computers? Wouldn't this help? What would you propose? Wouldn't the ability to communicate and send files between two apps be good? Or to download PDF's or files off Safari into iFile and then send them off to friends? Or the be ability to be able to play MKV, AVI, Flac and other file formats to be a reality?

Don't know how the contradicts what Apple is trying to do.

Blakjack
Jun 8, 2012, 10:24 PM
44 up votes. just shows you this forum is full of snarky basement dwellers ;)

LoL

Widashy
Jun 8, 2012, 10:36 PM
The water in the background of '6' conveys some subtle information about the next iOS. A new Wallpaper? A new water-like interface?
I don't know but I just can't wait for Monday.:)

----------

If the new iPhone really has a new aspect ratio, requiring apps to be modified, then WWDC might be a good forum to let developers know about this in advance.

So Apple might indeed announce it now, shipping in September.

Not the first time they've done it.
Though the question remains, how much would this hurt existing iPhone sales in the next 3 months...

Average consumer doesn't keep up with all these rumors so the iPhone 4S is still selling like hotcakes. There is no way that they will announce the new iPhone. It would kill the sales of iPhone 4S.

foodog
Jun 8, 2012, 10:40 PM

Don't bet the farm on it.

MacRacer
Jun 8, 2012, 10:41 PM
Well, come Monday, we will see if Tim Cook can pull off a Steve Jobs move here. It kinda sucks that iOS 6 banner was seen. I bet Jobs would have hide the banner until after the Keynote.

foodog
Jun 8, 2012, 10:41 PM
Don't know how the contradicts what Apple is trying to do.

They you really don't understand iCloud

rahul247rocks
Jun 8, 2012, 10:42 PM
I Wonder how big this event is going to be. You have the entire Mac Lineup Announcement and then there is iOS 6 and then other software and hardware launch. This is going to be the biggest WWDC ever.

StyxMaker
Jun 8, 2012, 10:46 PM

Not having a file system is what makes it 'advanced'.

truthiness
Jun 8, 2012, 11:03 PM
Yep, just like the 3GS adopters had to wait a few extra months to get a 4S. Chances are the loyalists will stay with Apple even if they have to wait for a few extra months. There will be some that stray, but nothing to hurt Apple.

I was a 3GS adopter and didn't have to wait, I got my 4 via an early upgrade policy that was in effect, and the same thing happened with my 4 to 4S upgrade. I don't think they will release the new iPhone until 12 months passes since the 4S release.

sushant08
Jun 8, 2012, 11:10 PM
That water ripple reminds of the S3's lock screen and the whole inspired by nature look.Maybe they now apple will start "designing for humans" too;)

On a more serious note ios5 and previous iterations had water drops but now it's a ripple that shows progression so i hope its something radically different.

iZac
Jun 8, 2012, 11:42 PM
The thing I wonder about is the-lead in time for developers to update their apps to that rumoured new resolution format. Apple gave a lead in of nearly 2 and a half months for the iPad. Now if that was generate excitement and get through the FCC, it also gave devs time to tinker. I can't see Apple giving a 2 and a half month lead in for the new iPhone, so the schedule for devs would be much tighter.

I know the departure from the current iPhone res to the rumoured new one is comparatively minimal, but maybe (and this might be crazy) in iOS 6, they'll start giving devs resolution / screen size targets that may prime them for new 'mystery' products that would use them?

iCharles
Jun 8, 2012, 11:45 PM
Come next year I think they will conjoin OS X and iOS to create a single software platform. They will obviously use different formats on the Macs/Mobile Devices...what do you guys think?

I think Apple will wait to converge the two OSs until Mac OS11... as I assume it will be a major overhaul. If in fact they do plan on doing it. They may choose to keep them seperate but similar just to appease the pro users.

griz
Jun 8, 2012, 11:58 PM
WATER RIPPLES??? What does it mean??

bedifferent
Jun 9, 2012, 12:00 AM

Shhhh, hush, don't state such cruel things. The nightmare of all nightmares for some; a horrific Frankenstein pink elephant in the room that sends shivers down the spines of OS X users. God save OS X! :p

VIVE LA OS X! :apple:

Chrisg2014
Jun 9, 2012, 12:01 AM
The way the iCon looks, I'm hoping for a redesign OS. It's kind of wrong that my 2 year old sis can do what I do. There is a point where I think something is to simplistic.

bedifferent
Jun 9, 2012, 12:07 AM
The way the iCon looks, I'm hoping for a redesign OS. It's kind of wrong that my 2 year old sis can do what I do. There is a point where I think something is to simplistic.

What do you mean? Everyone should be able to use any Apple product, no matter what! :p

Besides, as it's been clearly stated by so many, "everything you need to do can be done on an iPad, anything else is pointless, we're living in a 'post-PC era' now, get used to it." :eek: (and 640k ought to be enough for anybody, who needs a Mac Pro, pffft)

BTW this post was meant to be silly/sarcastic, I do not believe a word of what I wrote with regards to the end of the PC-era :)

twigman08
Jun 9, 2012, 12:46 AM
I know Apple has hidden some messages sort of in the past in their announcements and all that, but seriously people y'all are just over thinking things WAY too much. It looks very identical to the background on the new iPad (just smaller), iOS5 Logo was the background when the phone came out, I am 99% sure that will be the default background for iOS6.

Xx CHUCKLEZ XX
Jun 9, 2012, 12:51 AM

A fluke? Why are you even on this website ... seriously

lostngone
Jun 9, 2012, 12:51 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/345onxk.jpg

shurcooL
Jun 9, 2012, 12:55 AM
Yea I'm keen to retire my little 3Gs. It's been a great phone. Just minor issues with the home button.
Have you tried recalibrating (http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-recalibrate-iphone-home-button-to-make-it-more-responsive/) it?

8CoreWhore
Jun 9, 2012, 01:07 AM
Not new, really.

Chrisg2014
Jun 9, 2012, 01:09 AM
What do you mean? Everyone should be able to use any Apple product, no matter what! :p

Besides, as it's been clearly stated by so many, "everything you need to do can be done on an iPad, anything else is pointless, we're living in a 'post-PC era' now, get used to it." :eek: (and 640k ought to be enough for anybody, who needs a Mac Pro, pffft)

Please know before you read this, I'm not trying to bust your balls, just trying to inform you, please try to read this with a hint of sarcasm.

People that like to make things for your entertainment... ie me
Apps, Videos, music, VIDEO GAMES! This web site. Are created on Mac Pros or other powerful computers.

I don't agree with the statement "everything you need to do can be done on an iPad, anything else is pointless" That is just a statement that people use to make themselves feel better about the product in which they bought. :p Also it goes against what I already stated, How am I to create quality entertainment on the iPad? You can't even make apps for the thing on it, you need a computer! I'm not saying that I'm the best at creating entertainment, but the people who do, with out them, the iPad would be nothing. Please don't come back and say, oh they don't count, there just a small amount of people, ok fine give them iPads, destroy every last computer, There would be no entertainment what so ever. Also if the world was replaced by iPads, it wouldn't just effect entertainment, Businesses too. Want to know why businesses love the iPad, GoToMyPc.com, there just using the darn thing to get to there computers.

SERVERS! this website and all that you encounter are hosted on GAINT SERVERS! Lets go and replace them with iPads :) Lets see how long that will last with the 640KB of ram (it's actually 1GB now, thought you should know). Lets she an app that can do that. Wait no, theres not an App for that...

Now we go to the Data centers! God help us. No internet with all iPads for this Tablet era.

Think different, don't go with the flow bedifferent (I hope you liked the irony there)

FYI iPads are PCs (personal computers, Last time I checked there for personal use and it is a computer) So were not leaving the era anytime soon. You know what if this really was going to happen, that the great thing about an era, like the 70s they fade. Computers will come back.

verniesgarden
Jun 9, 2012, 01:44 AM
WATER RIPPLES??? What does it mean??

well traditionally water ripples have symbolically meant "one thing leading to another" or "one thing that influences everything else" so with that in mind one could conclude that iOS6 is the result of the proverbial "pebble in the pond" and everything will be influences by it.