PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3GS GSM... no iOS 6?

Wolffie
Jun 8, 2012, 09:56 PM
Specifically America and AT&T.

Do we suspect all the entry (FREE to $.99) smart phones sold in the past year are non upgradeable to iOS6?
It is the next model in line to be left out in the cold.
3GS came with iOS 3.0
The iPad (1st Gen) debuted with 3.2.1 right?

PurrBall
Jun 8, 2012, 10:00 PM
The only technical reason for them not to support it would be the fact that it only has 256 MB of RAM and the fact that it doesn't have a retina display, causing them to need to create two versions of all their UI elements. Other than that, I don't see any factors such as the subsidized cost being an issue, since you're really paying $350 for the phone over the term of your contract.

ValerieDurden
Jun 9, 2012, 02:57 AM
I can see ram being a factor here, that leaves all the current and previous iTouch models and even the original iPad left out due to having only 256mb. I am thinking the iPhone 4 is a bare minimum requirement for iOS 6 but I hope I am wrong.

Tea-Aholic
Jun 9, 2012, 05:04 AM
Specifically America and AT&T.

You do realise that there is no "American" version and "International" version of the 3GS? Nor was there an "AT&T GSM" version and a "CDMA" one.

Chundles
Jun 9, 2012, 05:06 AM
I think the 3GS will be left out and iOS 6 will be Apple A(x) processors only.

DroidConvert
Jun 9, 2012, 05:25 AM
It's difficult to support a model that's 3 years old. Too many hardware differences. You really can't expect any phone over 2 years old to get much support.

WeegieMac
Jun 9, 2012, 05:31 AM
As an iPhone 4 owner, I'd be pleasantly surprised if iOS 6 ran in full (and at an acceptable level of performance) on my device. I'm crossing my fingers, but you never know what Apple's plans are.

Thankfully I'll be able to enjoy iOS 6 in full on my new iPad. :D

Nicolas4ever
Jun 9, 2012, 05:43 AM
The 3GS is 3 years old now maybe Apple will want to stop the support.

vistadude
Jun 9, 2012, 09:34 AM
I bet they would support the 3 GS since the processor speed is similar to the iphone 4 processor. RAM is lower but it took iOS5 without major slowdowns.

VulchR
Jun 9, 2012, 09:44 AM
I thought somewhere in Apple's corporate documents that they have to declare to FTC, SEC, FCC or some other government entity (I cannot remember which) that Apple stated they intend to provide system support each model typically for 2 years. It sounds to me like this means the 3GS won't get iOS 6.

andybno1
Jun 9, 2012, 10:15 AM
I'm going with no 3gs support with iOS 6 all but original iPhone have had 2 versions of iOS.

iEnvy
Jun 9, 2012, 10:19 AM
Doubt it. Sorry dude http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/screen-shot-2012-06-09-at-9-03-35-am.png

chambone
Jun 9, 2012, 10:25 AM
The 3GS is 3 years old now maybe Apple will want to stop the support.

Yes, but they still sell it, so I am not so sure that argument is very solid. As I see it, the only reason to deny the 3GS iOS 6 support are hardware restrictions, the 256MB RAM specifically. If that turns out not to be a concern, I expect Apple to actually make iOS 6 available for the 3GS. If only to show the competition how supporting your products is done.

Calidude
Jun 9, 2012, 10:37 AM
If you guys think the 3GS is getting iOS6 you are living in a dream world.

lordofthereef
Jun 9, 2012, 10:53 AM
I don't want them to support the 3GS any longer. Why? Because we have been getting steadily better hardware already for the past three years but everything is developed to still run properly on these legacy devices. What's the point of new hardware if you are going to bottleneck due to the old stuff?

Scholzpdx
Jun 9, 2012, 10:59 AM
If you guys think the 3GS is getting iOS6 you are living in a dream world.

Wasn't the same said about the 3GS getting iOS 5?

samia//
Jun 9, 2012, 11:04 AM
Wasn't the same said about the 3GS getting iOS 5?yes i am totally agree with u that Scholzpdx;14987648. but the jave language is not same.

CNA (http://www.whatdocnado.com/)

rjohnstone
Jun 9, 2012, 11:10 AM
Doubt it. Sorry dude Image (http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/screen-shot-2012-06-09-at-9-03-35-am.png)
Nice Photoshop. ;)

luked14
Jun 9, 2012, 11:28 AM
Doubt it. Sorry dude Image (http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/screen-shot-2012-06-09-at-9-03-35-am.png)

Woah, you're from the future!

andybno1
Jun 9, 2012, 12:03 PM
Nice Photoshop. ;)
question is how many people logged on to their developer account to check after seeing the image lol

Spectrum Abuser
Jun 9, 2012, 01:08 PM
This is a really hard call actually.

Both the iPhone 3G(s) and iPhone 4 have the exact same processor and graphical chipset. The only difference is that the 4's hardware got a Mhz boost to help power the Retina display. eDRAM on the 3G(s) is 256MB, though, while the iPhone 4 has 512MB. If that were the only determining factor the original iPad and iPod Touch 4th('10-'11 models) would also not be getting iOS 6.

----------

I think the 3GS will be left out and iOS 6 will be Apple A(x) processors only.

The iPhone 3G(s) and iPhone 4 shared the same Cortex-A8 processor.

chrf097
Jun 9, 2012, 02:37 PM
I'm going with no 3gs support with iOS 6 all but original iPhone have had 2 versions of iOS.

No, every iPhone has had 3 versions. The third version they recieved had limitations that the other new models didn't get (I.E iOs 4.0 on the iPhone 3G did not get multitasking).

Following this, The iPhone 4 will have some limitations on iOS 6 (That'll probably relate to the maps) where as the iPhone 4S and 6th generation iPhones will support iOS 6 fully.

EDIT: Looks like the 3GS is getting iOS 6.0. This means that Apple is probably extending iOS support on iPhones to 4 versions instead of 3! That means my 4S is going to last me a full year longer!

question is how many people logged on to their developer account to check after seeing the image lol

I know I did :D

Applejuiced
Jun 9, 2012, 02:40 PM
Wasn't the same said about the 3GS getting iOS 5?

No, the same thing was said for the iphone 3G.
And they dropped support for it with 5.0
And this year they will drop support for the 3GS and next year stop support for the iphone 4 with ios 7.0 etc....

Briax
Jun 9, 2012, 02:48 PM
Did i get something wrong? I thought the iPhone 4 had a 800 MHz processor, where as the 3GS had a 600 MHz? Just asking since quite a few of you, state that they have the same processor? :o

Wolffie
Jun 9, 2012, 04:05 PM
You do realise that there is no "American" version and "International" version of the 3GS? Nor was there an "AT&T GSM" version and a "CDMA" one.

I realize that this is an international community.
"America", not "American", and "AT&T" refer to the users, consumers, current buyers, etc. not the device. AT&T currently sell the 3GS. If iOS 6 is not available to those purchasers, then those purchasers will not be able to upgrade their software. A common stated benefit of purchasing an iPhone is Apple updates the software, unlike other phone manufactures. So, those purchasers are not retaining that benefit. Unfortunate fact (maybe, don't know yet).

I am not knowledgeable about other nations cellular sales plans.
I do not know if they sell 3GS. I remember the 3GS being listed #3 or #5 most popular/sold smartphone. I do know some cellular service providers have sold the iPhone 4 free with the long-term contract.

I see you are from Melbourne, Australia. One of my favorite places, very beautiful. Could you give any details about the 3GS sales of Australia?

As far as my description of the phone as GSM, yes, overly descriptive. You have me there.:rolleyes: I hope I have clarified statements better now. :D

Thank you for your comments.

Wolffie
Jun 9, 2012, 04:19 PM
Did i get something wrong? I thought the iPhone 4 had a 800 MHz processor, where as the 3GS had a 600 MHz? Just asking since quite a few of you, state that they have the same processor? :o

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/06/iphone-teardown-reveals-underclocked-833mhz-cpu/
The most interesting part is the CPU, the Samsung S5PC100 (both previous iPhones used the Samsung S3C6400). It runs at 600MHz, just as T-Mobile let slip last week, but according to Samsung’s spec sheet it can run at up to 833MHz and its native speed is 667MHz. This means that Apple is underclocking, presumably for better battery life.

And for contrast the A4 processor of iPhone 4 has not been disclosed but the same processor in the iPad (1 Gen) was clocked at 1GHz.
Wiki... cause I can not find any better statements
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A4
Apple A4 is based on the ARM processor architecture.[7] The first version released runs at 1 GHz for the iPad and contains an ARM Cortex-A8 CPU core paired with a PowerVR SGX 535 graphics processor (GPU)[4][8][9][10] built on Samsung's 45-nanometer (nm) silicon chip fabrication process.[11] Clock speed for the units used in the iPhone 4, iPod Touch, and Apple TVs have not been revealed.

kona314
Jun 9, 2012, 04:20 PM
There's a cycle Apple has implemented, and they've stuck to it. I would bet money that the iPhone 3GS will be stuck at iOS 5 forever and always.

Nicolas4ever
Jun 9, 2012, 06:12 PM
Yes, but they still sell it, so I am not so sure that argument is very solid. As I see it, the only reason to deny the 3GS iOS 6 support are hardware restrictions, the 256MB RAM specifically. If that turns out not to be a concern, I expect Apple to actually make iOS 6 available for the 3GS. If only to show the competition how supporting your products is done.
Ι was thinking the same.BUT maybe until iOS 6 is officially released to all the users in October Apple will stop selling it:|

matttye
Jun 9, 2012, 06:37 PM
There's a cycle Apple has implemented, and they've stuck to it. I would bet money that the iPhone 3GS will be stuck at iOS 5 forever and always.

I hope they stick to the same cycle for iPads. If so, that probably means the iPad 2 will get iOS6 but not 7.

Tea-Aholic
Jun 10, 2012, 12:14 AM
I see you are from Melbourne, Australia. One of my favorite places, very beautiful. Could you give any details about the 3GS sales of Australia?

As far as my description of the phone as GSM, yes, overly descriptive. You have me there.:rolleyes: I hope I have clarified statements better now. :D

Thank you for your comments.

Okay, I'm really confused as in why America and AT&T has anything to do with iOS 6. If Apple releases iOS 6 for the 3GS, any person who owns a 3GS can update to it.

Here the 3GS is sold for $429 (with $10 credit included pre-paid). Though I don't see anyone buying it anymore.

Chundles
Jun 10, 2012, 03:03 AM
This is a really hard call actually.

Both the iPhone 3G(s) and iPhone 4 have the exact same processor and graphical chipset. The only difference is that the 4's hardware got a Mhz boost to help power the Retina display. eDRAM on the 3G(s) is 256MB, though, while the iPhone 4 has 512MB. If that were the only determining factor the original iPad and iPod Touch 4th('10-'11 models) would also not be getting iOS 6.

----------

The iPhone 3G(s) and iPhone 4 shared the same Cortex-A8 processor.

The first iPhone and the iPhone 3G had the same hardware yet the iPhone 3G got iOS 4 whilst the original did not. Mind you, iOS 4 ran like crap on the iPhone 3G...

Maybe they'll go with the 3GS getting iOS 6 for a time but then being left behind. Like the iPhone 3G and how it stopped at 4.2.1.

I dunno, we'll find out soon enough I suppose.

Spectrum Abuser
Jun 10, 2012, 12:24 PM
No, the same thing was said for the iphone 3G.
And they dropped support for it with 5.0
And this year they will drop support for the 3GS and next year stop support for the iphone 4 with ios 7.0 etc....

They dropped support for the iPhone 3G at 4.2.1.

Applejuiced
Jun 10, 2012, 12:29 PM
They dropped support for the iPhone 3G at 4.2.1.

That's what I was saying. Dropped support for the 3G at 4.2.1 , for the 2G at 3.1.3 and most likely for the 3GS at 5.1.1
Logically I don't see the 3GS getting ios 6.0

Spectrum Abuser
Jun 10, 2012, 12:33 PM
That's what I was saying. Dropped support for the 3G at 4.2.1 , for the 2G at 3.1.3 and most likely for the 3GS at 5.1.1
Logically I don't see the 3GS getting ios 6.0

Not to be that guy, but you said 5.0 :p

I was getting all wrapped up in the hardware debate and then I saw one key point from other users.. The phone is still being sold! It would make perfect since because the only reason the iPhone 3G got 4.X is because it was still being sold on the iPhone 4's launch day.

MuGeN PoWeR
Jun 10, 2012, 12:41 PM
looks like 3Gs will be getting iOS 6! and this is KICK ASS!

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/10/apple-releasing-ios-6-beta-build-10a5316k-and-safari-6-developer-preview-at-wwdc/

RMC Tech
Jun 10, 2012, 01:01 PM
The only technical reason for them not to support it would be the fact that it only has 256 MB of RAM and the fact that it doesn't have a retina display, causing them to need to create two versions of all their UI elements. Other than that, I don't see any factors such as the subsidized cost being an issue, since you're really paying $350 for the phone over the term of your contract.

This makes the most sense to me - Technically, it'll have trouble supporting it. Interesting thing to think about though, as there are still plenty of people grabbing 3GS's. :apple:

nostresshere
Jun 10, 2012, 02:26 PM
I thought somewhere in Apple's corporate documents that they have to declare to FTC, SEC, FCC or some other government entity (I cannot remember which) that Apple stated they intend to provide system support each model typically for 2 years. It sounds to me like this means the 3GS won't get iOS 6.

They can support the 3GS for many many years WITHOUT giving it IOS6. Nothing says they have to UPGRADE old phones, only support it.

Note - not even going to guess at this point which phones will work with 6 or not.

Applejuiced
Jun 10, 2012, 04:17 PM
Not to be that guy, but you said 5.0 :p

Yes, I meant with 5.0 they dropped support for the iPhone 3G.
Meaning they didn't support it on 5.0 or higher firmware versions.
Probably a little confusing:)

Spectrum Abuser
Jun 10, 2012, 04:38 PM
Yes, I meant with 5.0 they dropped support for the iPhone 3G.
Meaning they didn't support it on 5.0 or higher firmware versions.
Probably a little confusing:)

It had long been unsupported by iOS 5.
iOS 4.3 dropped support for the iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2G. So the last available update for the iPhone 3G was almost a year old by the time 5.0 was released to the public. You can't forgot about the good 'ol 4.3.X days now. ;)

Applejuiced
Jun 10, 2012, 05:03 PM
It had long been unsupported by iOS 5.
iOS 4.3 dropped support for the iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2G. So the last available update for the iPhone 3G was almost a year old by the time 5.0 was released to the public. You can't forgot about the good 'ol 4.3.X days now. ;)

True.
But never know, they might surprise us and put out a watered down version of 6.0 for the 3GS.

jnl1211
Jun 10, 2012, 05:13 PM
They also said during the keynote last year the 3GS wouldn't get the photo editing. Guess what it had...

Sedrick
Jun 10, 2012, 05:59 PM

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/10/apple-releasing-ios-6-beta-build-10a5316k-and-safari-6-developer-preview-at-wwdc/
Good news for you. For everyone else it will mean that iOS6 doesn't have enough new stuff in it to warrant the more powerful phones. :(

dukebound85
Jun 10, 2012, 06:19 PM
i hope that the ios4 debacle with the 3g isnt repeated here with ios6

Westside guy
Jun 10, 2012, 07:21 PM

And as good a reason to jailbreak as any - if iOS6 runs terribly on the 3Gs, we jailbreakers can downgrade back to 5.1.1 (or 4.x or whatever).

iEnvy
Jun 10, 2012, 07:34 PM
Nice Photoshop. ;)
You can thank 9 to 5 Mac with this "photoshop" picture :rolleyes:

MuGeN PoWeR
Jun 11, 2012, 01:06 AM
Good news for you. For everyone else it will mean that iOS6 doesn't have enough new stuff in it to warrant the more powerful phones. :(

If you ask me then I think some of the features of iOs 6 will not work on 3GS. Yes another reason for people to buy the new iPhone.

Ps I don't own a 3Gs. I have an iPhone 4s

----------

And as good a reason to jailbreak as any - if iOS6 runs terribly on the 3Gs, we jailbreakers can downgrade back to 5.1.1 (or 4.x or whatever).

Yeah but I seriously want that it should run fine. That will be a big big slap on androids face.

Sven11
Jun 11, 2012, 04:25 AM
iPhone 3GS: 600MHz Cortex A8, 256MB RAM
iPhone 4: 800MHz Cortex A8, 512MB RAM
iPhone 4S: Dual 800MHz Cortex A9, 512MB RAM
iPod touch 3rd: 600MHz Cortex A8, 256MB RAM
iPod touch 4th: 800MHz Cortex A8, 256MB RAM
iPad: 1GHz Cortex A8, 256MB RAM
iPad 2: Dual Cortex A9, 512MB RAM
iPad 3rd: Dual Cortex A9, 1GB RAM

As you can see all the 256MB devices have more or less the same specs. So if Apple is going to support one of them then it is just logical that Apple also has to support the others. And I am pretty sure that the iPod touch 4th will get iOS 6. Anything else makes no sense.

amorya
Jun 11, 2012, 04:39 AM
As you can see all the 256MB devices have more or less the same specs. So if Apple is going to support one of them then it is just logical that Apple also has to support the others.

I don't agree.

Based on prior experience, Apple should drop the 3GS. The pattern goes that each major iOS release drops support for one iPhone. But, they can't do that because they still sell the 3GS.

However, they don't still sell the iPad 1 or the iPod touch 3rd gen. So they can drop those devices.

Sure, it might not be much extra work to support the iPod touch 3rd gen, given that they're supporting the iPhone 3GS, but it's still a bit of work, so Apple might well choose to not do it, given that the benefit to them is minimal.

DroidConvert
Jun 11, 2012, 10:03 AM
EDIT: Looks like the 3GS is getting iOS 6.0. This means that Apple is probably extending iOS support on iPhones to 4 versions instead of 3! That means my 4S is going to last me a full year longer!

If this is the case, and I'll admit that I'm still skeptical, this is huge reason to go with iOS over other platforms. You're lucky to get 18 months support from Android. If you can get three years from iOS that is huge.

If it is released for the 3GS, I suspect that it will be scaled back due to hardware limitations. But still, that's simply incredible.

With Verizon possibly going the "buy a phone at the subsidized price and you'll lose unlimited data" route, this helps in the decision to buy a used iPhone that's one year plus old without worries that it will lose support.

stuffradio
Jun 11, 2012, 10:22 AM

I did.

mabaker
Jun 11, 2012, 10:37 AM
Apple could also bump the 3GS' processor to its native speed of 667 MHz. Anything is possible.

DroidConvert
Jun 11, 2012, 11:56 AM
Apple could also bump the 3GS' processor to its native speed of 667 MHz. Anything is possible.

I would say that RAM is more of a limitationthan the processor.

ANinjaPeanut
Jun 11, 2012, 01:51 PM
iPhone 3GS and later confirmed to have iOS 6

goosnarrggh
Jun 11, 2012, 02:28 PM
iPhone 3GS and later confirmed to have iOS 6

...And the 3rd generation iPod touch is confirmed not to have iOS 6. These two devices are virtually identically spec'ed, aside from the lack of a camera.

This just goes further to debunk all these assertions that somehow, the technological capabilities would act as the final, determining factor in the decision to discontinue support for older hardware in newer OSes.

Certainly hardware has some role to play. But Apple has already shown that, when it suits their business interests to do so and the hardware is only mildly obsolete, they are willing scale back functionality in the software rather than discontinue support entirely. (See iOS 4 on iPhone 3G for example).

I think the much more important factor for them is probably the question of how recently they stopped selling a discontinued model.

If an older generation is still being actively advertised alongside a more current product, then they will always find a way to get the newest iOS on the older generation, making compromises to account for any hardware limitations.

On the other hand, if at the time a model was discontinued, iOS version X had been preloaded on the device, then when iOS version (X+1) comes along, they will figure out how to get it on there (making compromises to account for any hardware limitations). But version (X+2) will be iffy.

Avalon74
Jun 11, 2012, 02:31 PM
More disappointing is the lack of support for the original iPad... which is almost on par with the iPhone 4...

whohasaquestion
Jun 11, 2012, 03:55 PM
This just proves my suspicion all along. The decision of which device to support is arbitrary, in discretion of Apple. Trying to explain this from a technical point just doesn't equate. 3gs and iPad both have 256mb of Ram...if it's supported on one device, the other device should be supported as well.

Personally, I am glad that 3gs is still supported. I just didn't care for people coming up with excuses for Apple.

DroidConvert
Jun 11, 2012, 04:02 PM
This just proves my suspicion all along. The decision of which device to support is arbitrary, in discretion of Apple. Trying to explain this from a technical point just doesn't equate. 3gs and iPad both have 256mb of Ram...if it's supported on one device, the other device should be supported as well.

Personally, I am glad that 3gs is still supported. I just didn't care for people coming up with excuses for Apple.

Arbitrary? Maybe to us, but I'm sure Apple has a method to their madness.

BiggAW
Jun 11, 2012, 05:16 PM
...And the 3rd generation iPod touch is confirmed not to have iOS 6. These two devices are virtually identically spec'ed, aside from the lack of a camera.

That struck me as bizarre too. It shows that they don't put a lot of important on the iPod. Developers are going to have to keep iOS 5 support if they want a broad audience, as the OG iPad and now the iPod 3rd Gen will be stuck there. Hopefully iOS 6 on the 3GS doesn't turn into a turd bird like iOS 4 on the 3G did.

Gav Mack
Jun 11, 2012, 06:02 PM

The 8 and 16gb iPod touch 3G models are 2G guts inside with 128mb RAM but the 32 and 64gb models are 256Mb ram with the cortex a8 like the 3GS. For the sake of confusing customers those who have the 32/64 models (got two of them for the kids) are stuck on iOS 5.X which sucks frankly..

rjohnstone
Jun 11, 2012, 06:11 PM
You can thank 9 to 5 Mac with this "photoshop" picture :rolleyes:
I guess you don't know how to read a calendar. :rolleyes:
An image with a date of June 11, 2012 being posted on June 9, 2012 is obviously an altered "Photoshopped" image. ;)

Just because the information contained in the altered image turned out to be true later on, doesn't take away form the fact that the image was a fake.

ZepFloyd
Jun 11, 2012, 06:11 PM
this update is basically useless for phones that are iphone 4 and under right? i mean the biggest addition is probably turn by turn navigation and that doesnt work unless you have 4s right?

oh well...lets hope the new phone they come out with gets a bigger screen, if so i'll just have to upgrade

Carlanga
Jun 11, 2012, 06:14 PM

not possible, the limitations are hardware based not software based.

Gatecrasher1875
Jun 11, 2012, 06:18 PM
this update is basically useless for phones that are iphone 4 and under right? i mean the biggest addition is probably turn by turn navigation and that doesnt work unless you have 4s right?

oh well...lets hope the new phone they come out with gets a bigger screen, if so i'll just have to upgrade

Sadly it seems so, as an iPhone 4 owner myself i dont think i will bother upgrading to iOS 6. I will wait and see what the new iPhone has to offer later in the year. I'm feeling more unimpressed with iOS 6 the more i read abut it.

rjohnstone
Jun 11, 2012, 06:18 PM
not possible, the limitations are hardware based not software based.
Not true.
Changing a CPU's clock speed is a simple matter of tweaking software/firmware.
The only limitation is in the chips design.

It's well known that Apple under clocked the 3GS and even the iPhone 4's CPU. So bumping it up to the CPU's native speed should be a non-issue from a software perspective.

The issue with ramping up the clock speed on the CPU is you will get more heat and decreased battery life with a bump up.

Carlanga
Jun 11, 2012, 06:25 PM
Not true.
Changing a CPU's clock speed is a simple matter of tweaking software/firmware.
It's well known that Apple under clocked the 3GS and even the iPhone 4's CPU.

The issue with ramping up the clock speed on the CPU is you will get more heat and decreased battery life with a bump up.

nope, if it was that easy why do you think there is no real tweak on Cydia to enable overclocking ;)

rjohnstone
Jun 11, 2012, 07:02 PM
nope, if it was that easy why do you think there is no real tweak on Cydia to enable overclocking ;)
You obviously never overclocked a CPU on a mobile device before have you?
It's all about software.
Apple hasn't released the source code for the iOS kernel and the underlying firmware. Without it, you're dead in the water.

Jailbreaking is only a small part. That's why you won't find anything in Cydia.
Sure you can edit some power management plist files to get a fake bump, but it's worthless.

You need access to the kernel source code to recompile a new kernel with new clock values.
This is something only Apple can do for now.

ixodes
Jun 11, 2012, 07:14 PM
Apple loves to sell hardware.

The concept of backwards compatibility makes them cringe. Forcing users to buy new phones makes the smile. It's obvious what Apple wants.

Apple always gets what Apple wants :)

goosnarrggh
Jun 12, 2012, 06:22 AM
The 8 and 16gb iPod touch 3G models are 2G guts inside with 128mb RAM but the 32 and 64gb models are 256Mb ram with the cortex a8 like the 3GS. For the sake of confusing customers those who have the 32/64 models (got two of them for the kids) are stuck on iOS 5.X which sucks frankly..

The 16 GB variant of iPod touch was discontinued at the same time the 3rd generation iPod touch was announced.

Further, Apple never claimed to have sell an 8GB variant of 3rd generation iPod touch. Instead, they announced that they would keep on selling a cost-reduced version of the 2nd generation 8GB unit, alongside the true 3rd generation 32GB and 64GB units. All of their support documents make this distinction quite prominently.

This has nothing to do with "avoiding confusion". It has very little to do with hardware deficiencies. This has everything to do with timelines.

They'll make sure that all their currently shipping models are supported by the latest OS. They'll also make sure to make the new iOS as backwards-compatible as possible with any devices that included a contractual guarantee to deliver at least one major new iOS version as part of their software license agreement. And they'll make sure to drop support for any models that would have been discontinued more than one complete major iOS refresh cycle ago, by the time the new iOS goes GM.

Any extra subtleties (such as recognizing that some current models have specification parity with certain recent former models) are nothing more than annoying distractions to their main business case, which is and always has been to drive the sales of more units.

----------

It would also doubtless contain the latest versions of all the major open source projects that contribute to iOS and its related technologies, most prominently WebKit in Safari. With that will surely come bug fixes and security improvements. From that perspective, if your device is still supported you'll almost certainly be better off installing the upgrade.