Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppAnon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Erie PA
Hey everyone! I am new to the forums here, although I often browse here when I have a question, not sure why I never signed up. Anyhow I am thinking about learning how to program apps. I have a pretty decent knowledge of C++, HTML, and VB. My question is how difficult is objective C going to be?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Welcome.

Take a look at the sticky posts and guides at the top of the forum. Everyone is different, so we really can't say how it will go for you.

B

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
If you can code in both C++ and VB, then picking up Objective C to that same level shouldn't be that difficult. A lot of programmers report about 2 weeks to get used to the language syntax, maybe two months to get a good handle on a decent enough amount of the Cocoa Touch frameworks to develop a non-trivial app. Knowing both C++ and VB may be an advantage, as some C++ only programmers sometimes take longer to unlearn a lot of C++ paradigms that are done completely differently in Objective C.

But YMMV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.