PDA

View Full Version : IOS 5 BACKUP on IOS 6 BETA

Dima470
Jun 10, 2012, 08:46 PM
I am planning on getting IOS 6 beta build. I am wondering, will I be able to install an IOS 5 backup on IOS 6 beta? And will I be able to install my IOS 6 beta on legit IOS 6.0? I've done the second one but I heard people having SERIOUS issues. What do you guys think?

Spectrum Abuser
Jun 10, 2012, 08:49 PM
If you want all your settings, contacts, eMail accounts, SMS's and so forth erased for the comfort of a 'fresh' install then don't use a backup. Otherwise just restore from your backup.

Dima470
Jun 10, 2012, 08:53 PM
Thats not my question. Could installing a backup on a beta possibly screw things up?

Spectrum Abuser
Jun 10, 2012, 08:56 PM
Thats not my question. Could installing a backup on a beta possibly screw things up?

No. If that were the case there would be no option to do so in iTunes. During the beta builds developers are asked to use a non-primary device as full restores are needed sporadically. Coming from a stable build to a beta, though, a fresh restore is not needed.

rikahlberg
Jun 12, 2012, 01:41 AM

Yes. It's a beta. All sorts of things may not work.

And heed Apple's warnings that you can't revert to iOS 5 and shouldn't install it on your primary device.

Nikos
Jun 12, 2012, 02:06 AM
I stored my iOS 5 backup on the iOS 6 beta and haven't experienced any issues yet. This has been the case for every beta since iOS 4.

Toby Ziegler
Jun 12, 2012, 08:35 AM
Yes. It's a beta. All sorts of things may not work.

And heed Apple's warnings that you can't revert to iOS 5 and shouldn't install it on your primary device.

Uh...having downgraded to 5.1.1 from 6.0 last night and retaining everything I had prior to the upgrade, I can safely say that's not the case.

Gjwilly
Jun 12, 2012, 08:47 AM
Restoring any backup onto a different OS has always given me the heebie jeebies but with a beta I would avoid it at all costs.
That said, with beta-1 anyway, you don't need to do a restore.
Beta-1 can be installed as an update on top of iOS5 and all settings and media will remain.

iBreatheApple
Jun 12, 2012, 08:49 AM
I restored from backup and everything seems flawless so far. I did have double of almost every body in my contacts at first, but realized that was because I had to turn off permissions for Facebook to my contacts as it adds every person in your friends list with an associated number to your phone.

indieda
Sep 13, 2012, 07:45 AM
Uh...having downgraded to 5.1.1 from 6.0 last night and retaining everything I had prior to the upgrade, I can safely say that's not the case.

How did you downgrade? I shift+update .ipsw 5.1.1 but it got stuck on the continuous loading loop and I had to enter DFU mode. Lost everything. I've got a backup of ios 6 beta 4. Is it possible to load in ios 6 GM and restore from backup?

Richardgm
Sep 13, 2012, 08:02 AM
I restored from backup and my apps forgot where they were. They got knocked out of their folders, too.

I know this behaviour isn't typical, though.

sixteen12
Sep 13, 2012, 08:18 AM
I restored from backup and my apps forgot where they were. They got knocked out of their folders, too.

I know this behaviour isn't typical, though.

Yeah not typical I updated to iOS 6 GM last night and restored from my 5.1.1 backup I made right before. Everything was just as I left it before the update started.