Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndavid126

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Apparantly Nokia Maps use's C3 Technology for their 3D mode. Go to maps.nokia.com/3D/, and there you can download a plugin and view select cities in C3 Technology 3d. I hope this isn't going to be all the cities, because if it is im going to be disappointed.

Electric turd

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Great catch, although I wish there were more cities that were in 3d. It looks like there are only about 20 worldwide right now

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Or what about street view? Did we lose that??

street view is gone. it's a google only thing. 3D maps seems limited at the moment, but so was streetview when it began. gotta adjust. i've got no 3D in the UK so far i think, but i can't search, it crashes each time, i have to manually go somewhere lol.

PacificBeach

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
Apparantly Nokia Maps use's C3 Technology for their 3D mode. Go to maps.nokia.com/3D/, and there you can download a plugin and view select cities in C3 Technology 3d. I hope this isn't going to be all the cities, because if it is im going to be disappointed.

Wack just as i thought......................

ndavid126

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
not very good! Lame 3D tech in Apple Maps!

Google Street View was my favorite map feature.............
OK I see. Sorry. I was confused on what you said and thought you were saying that the link did not work. But I would like to respectfully disagree. I think that the new 3D maps look amazing.

PacificBeach

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
OK I see. Sorry. I was confused on what you said and thought you were saying that the link did not work. But I would like to respectfully disagree. I think that the new 3D maps look amazing.

This is just a repackaged Nokia Maps with apple marketing hype....................

jeffzoom91

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Florida
Hi guys. I see most of you have not actually seen iOS6 yet, but are taking giant alien ***** all over everything because it's easy.

Apple had a good day today. This is the first time in a long time that they released hardware and software and couldn't even tell us about all of it in a 2 hour keynote. Plus, Tim Cook demonstrated that all is well at Apple.

I just did a comparison in Miami with both technologies. Nokia's service is garbage. iOS destroyed it.

If you're expecting Trees to be perfectly modeled go outside and stare at one. They're boring. Who cares.

It is also evident that some of the 3D data is better than the rest. The images on the west coast (e.g. San Francisco, Cupertino) are absolutely stunning.

In florida for the most part there isn't a whole lot of data. Looks like they're working on it. But really, Florida is flat as a board and there aren't many tall buildings outside of cities, so who cares?

I could read logos and signs on the imagery of NASA AMES Research center in Mountain View.

I've only used turn by turn for a short distance, but it literally destroys every other GPS out there.

@ndavid126: You need to delete this thread or rename it, because you have ABSOLUTELY no idea what you're talking about.

This community is first and for most driven by those who love Apple. You don't have to love everything they do. You do have to realize that there are thousands of Engineers doing the absolute best they can to produce this software, and if they could do better they would have.

I have used every iOS beta since the first one became available. This version is pretty much shippable, and I can't wait to see what the new iPhone can do with it.

If you want to go experiment in Android land I invite you to do that. I have an Android Tablet myself (Full disclosure: I have been using it as a drinks coaster), but bitching about which is better doesn't help anything.

Finally, remember: There is no right. There is no wrong. Pick what works for you and refrain from proselytizing.

At least it's not Windows Phone right? :p

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
My city doesn't have any 3D (Salt Lake City, UT), I also checked Boston and NYC, they don't have any either. The only city I found was San Francisco which had 3D.

I expect that this is something Apple is going to develop further throughout the beta.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
street view is gone. it's a google only thing. 3D maps seems limited at the moment, but so was streetview when it began. gotta adjust. i've got no 3D in the UK so far i think, but i can't search, it crashes each time, i have to manually go somewhere lol.

Wow, when was the last time an update got rid of a feature? I ask because I use street view all the time for work, don't know a way around it..

jeffzoom91

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Florida
Wow, when was the last time an update got rid of a feature? I ask because I use street view all the time for work, don't know a way around it..

Google already said in their Maps event that regardless of what Apple does with maps they'll release a maps app for iOS. Just Chill man Google is taking care of it. You get both now.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

well streetview is exclusive to google maps, it's not really an iOS feature. Each maps have their own thing, bing has limited aerial view, no street view. Apple has 3D view, once that's fully up and running everywhere, it will be better than street view i think. streetview took time to populate, so will apple's 3D view, just gotta use patience.

in the meantime, you can use google maps via safari, doesn't that do street view?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

Not for work, but I do use street view a lot. Too bad I'll have to end up with mult maps apps.

St. Germain

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2006
My city doesn't have any 3D (Salt Lake City, UT), I also checked Boston and NYC, they don't have any either. The only city I found was San Francisco which had 3D.

I expect that this is something Apple is going to develop further throughout the beta.
Boston and NYC...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 10.40.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 10.40.20 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 180
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 10.42.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 10.42.12 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 170

ndavid126

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Sydney Opera House

Can anyone get a screenshot of the Sydney Opera house on the new iPad to compare to Nokia Maps?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 9.24.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 9.24.46 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 9.24.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 9.24.53 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 128
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.