PDA

View Full Version : Photos of Claimed New 15-Inch MacBook Pro Logic Board Show NVIDIA GT 650M, Retained Layout

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 10, 2012, 10:09 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/10/photos-of-claimed-new-15-inch-macbook-pro-logic-board-show-nvidia-gt650m-retained-layout/)

M.I.C. gadget points (http://micgadget.com/27133/leaked-photo-of-new-macbook-pro-logic-board-shows-nvidia-gt-650m-chipset/) to a pair (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://bbs.weiphone.com/read-htm-tid-4872731.html&hl=en&langpair=auto%7Cen) of posts (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://bbs.weiphone.com/read-htm-tid-4872443.html&hl=en&langpair=auto|en) from Chinese forum WeiPhone.com showing portions of what is claimed to be the logic board and graphic hardware from the next-generation 15-inch MacBook Pro set to be introduced tomorrow.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/2012_mbp_logic_650m.jpg

New MacBook Pro logic board with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (left) and current MacBook Pro logic board (right)
The images show an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics chip and 1 GB of GDDR5 graphics memory, which many have expected would make an appearance in the new MacBook Pro. Interestingly, the posters have also compared the leaked photos with the logic board of the current MacBook Pro, finding the layouts to be nearly identical all the way down to the screw holes on the board.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/2012_mbp_logic_ddr.jpg

New MacBook Pro logic board with 1 GB GDDR5 graphic memory (left) and current MacBook Pro logic board (right)
One of the reports also claims that the new 15-inch MacBook Pro will arrive with 2.3 GHz and 2.5 GHz chip options on stock models, with a 2.7 GHz chip available as a high-end custom configuration. The exact chips to be offered are not detailed by the poster, but some attempts at matching up to Intel's Ivy Bridge offerings can be made.

At the 2.3 GHz level, Apple would have its choice of the Core i7-3610QM or Core i7-3615QM. For a 2.5 GHz chip, the only appropriate Ivy Bridge processor currently available is a dual-core Core i5-3210M, which would actually be the low-end chip. And at the high end, Apple would apparently be offering the Core i7-3820QM as had been seen in benchmarks (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/14/unreleased-2012-macbook-pro-and-imac-models-showing-up-in-benchmarks/) that appeared last month.

Apple has been widely rumored to be introducing a redesign MacBook Pro with a Retina display and a thinner profile. But if the leaked photos are genuine they may indicate that no redesign of the body is forthcoming, as Apple would be expected to make significant changes to the logic board to accommodate rearranged internals in a thinner enclosure.

An alternative explanation relates to claims put forth (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08/apple-to-introduce-third-macbook-line-with-retina-display-at-wwdc/) late last week by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who indicated that a thinner, Retina-capable Mac notebook would appear as a third member of the MacBook family with Apple continuing to offer the existing MacBook Pro alongside the new model for the time being. In that case, these leaked photos could represent the updated version of the current MacBook Pro with the new notebook still remaining under wraps.

Article Link: Photos of Claimed New 15-Inch MacBook Pro Logic Board Show NVIDIA GT 650M, Retained Layout (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/10/photos-of-claimed-new-15-inch-macbook-pro-logic-board-show-nvidia-gt650m-retained-layout/)

Comeagain?
Jun 10, 2012, 10:09 PM
It's so...logical...

;)

Xscapes
Jun 10, 2012, 10:13 PM
We will find out in 12 hours.

swb1192
Jun 10, 2012, 10:13 PM
"Apple has been widely rumored to be introducing a redesign MacBook Pro with a Retina display and a thinner profile. But if the leaked photos are genuine they may indicate that no redesign of the body is forthcoming, as Apple would be expected to make significant changes to the logic board to accommodate rearranged internals in a thinner enclosure. "

No no no! Don't let it be true!

wikus
Jun 10, 2012, 10:14 PM
That pretty much puts all the rumors of a macbook pro redesign to rest. Looks like the optical drive will continue to be used.

Glad I didn't do anything with my 15" Sandybridge MacBook Pro, I had plans of selling and upgrading but now theres even less incentive to do so.

appleguy123
Looks like all the hopes of a redesign are unfounded. We didn't really have any solid evidence for it anyways. Just analysts and wishes.

jamswirl
Would the logic board have to be rearranged for the mbp to be made thinner?

MOKHAN
Oh man! I'm super psyched.

Prodo123
By where the screw holes are, they're not doing a redesign of a MacBook Pro.
Yet.
If it ain't broke, why fix it?

gatortpk
Jun 10, 2012, 10:15 PM
Why couldn't the current Unibody MacBook Pro with this logic board have a Retina Display?

If this is real, I certainly hope this is simply an updated Logic Board for the current MacBook Pros with the addition of Retina Display.

If there is a New MacBook logic board, then this isn't it, and we still may see a thinner Unibody MacBook with a Retina display also.

Rudy69
Jun 10, 2012, 10:16 PM
I have a hard time seeing how a Retina Macbook would fit in the current product line. If it's true, I don't see why someone would purchase a non retina macbook

nagromme
Jun 10, 2012, 10:16 PM
Three lines of laptops seems really odd (though I suppose it could be a temporary transition... an omelet that requires breaking eggs).

If the MacBook Pros keep the same basic design (as suggested here) then maybe all the NEW machines will be branded as Airs.

in other words, maybe instead of “thin Pros” we’ll get “fat Airs”? The Airs will be as slim as ever on the low end, but new higher-end Airs will have Pro-level power (retina too) while the old Pros (maybe keeping the DVD even) get a spec boost to serve during the rest of this transition.

And then later (6-12 months?) these new Pros get discontinued, and only the high-end Airs remain: same full power, not as thin as the low-end Airs, but still very thin and no DVD. Probably no more 17” if they truly don’t sell. (At which time, I can see “Air" being dropped from the name, and they might all just be “MacBooks”.)

I’d bet that low-end (11-13”) Airs don’t get retina displays yet—but eventually they will.

appleguy123
Jun 10, 2012, 10:18 PM
It would be a logistical nightmare to keep the logic board exactly the same and redesign the computer to be significantly thinner, and let's not even mention a possible removal of the optical drive.

If this board be real, there's no redesign. That's it.

rgarjr
Jun 10, 2012, 10:19 PM

you sound like that samsung commercial :p

myrtlebee
Not happening- why would the new MacBook have a better display than a Pro machine? Somethin's a brewin' for tomorrow, but not that...

QuarterSwede
I have a hard time seeing how a Retina Macbook would fit in the current product line. If it's true, I don't see why someone would purchase a non retina macbook
Price. Same reason the 13" MacBook existed while the 13" MacBook Pro was added.

blow45
Jun 10, 2012, 10:20 PM
if they don't bring retina to the pro that will be a major let down.

DrJohnnyN
Jun 10, 2012, 10:20 PM
Praying that this is not true.

iMikeT
Jun 10, 2012, 10:22 PM
Why would Apple go back to using NVIDIA GPUs instead of sticking with AMD? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the next-gen GPU of either manufacturer?

----

*Full disclosure, I am currently holding a long position in AMD.

dethmaShine
Jun 10, 2012, 10:22 PM
Honestly, I was expecting a redesign, but given that the aluminium unibody notebooks are simply excellent, I don't see why Apple would bring us a redesign.

But nonetheless, I expected the optical drive to magically disappear as if it never existed. Looks like the magic is set for next year.

1finite
Jun 10, 2012, 10:23 PM
This is gonna be the same kind of let down that the iPhone 4s was. All the hype for a big redesign, but it's actually just an incremental upgrade. So lame...

Rmafive
These "day before" leaks tend to be true, so I'm pretty upset right now. I wanted a redesign! Maybe I should consider an iMac and an air instead of a new MBP. :mad:

Rachel Faith
650M??

BOGUS !!

The 680M is like 800% better.

Give us an option for the love !!!!!!!!

busterbluth
How can a company that prides itself on innovation take so long to change the design of a laptop. This would be huge disappointment. This was one of the expected announcements, although I knew the claims that everything would be updated were
fake. It's just not apples style. They like to draw things out.

daneoni
Well thats unexpected but typical Apple. So much for all the hyped up rumours.

How does the GT650M compare to the 6750M/6770M?

Blaine
Jun 10, 2012, 10:24 PM
Well that's no fun.

Boe11
Jun 10, 2012, 10:25 PM
This is gonna be the same kind of let down that the iPhone 4s was. All the hype for a big redesign, but it's actually just an incremental upgrade. So lame...

And the MBP launch last year. We all thought there would be a redesign in the exact same way we do now, then it was just a spec update.

I guess if this is real, we may be headed for the same scenario tomorrow. Or the 3rd line theory.

Either way I'm excited to see what the keynote brings tomorrow.

appleguy123
Jun 10, 2012, 10:26 PM
These "day before" leaks tend to be true, so I'm pretty upset right now. I wanted a redesign! Maybe I should consider an iMac and an air instead of a new MBP. :mad:

My air is absolutely fantastic.

I can see the air getting retina displays and the pro not getting them. The Air is basically Apple's innovation laptop.

The air is the best from the iPad brought to Mac. The retina display should certainly be among the things.

notabadname
Jun 10, 2012, 10:26 PM
Personally, I like the news, and prefer Nvidia.

KylePowers
Jun 10, 2012, 10:27 PM
I could see nothing really changing. Perhaps retina, but nothing else.

I could also see them adding a 15in MBA.

But who knows! We'll find out soon enough :D

Jamesesesesess
Jun 10, 2012, 10:28 PM
So many rumors!

I hope this isn't true, I want it to at least be thinner :(

We'll know in a little over 12 hours...

MacReloaded
Jun 10, 2012, 10:29 PM
Liking the NVIDIA graphics. Disliking the same design.

iChrist
.Well thats unexpected but typical Apple. So much for all the hyped up rumours.

Is NOT typical apple! Is NOT!1

Now Jobs gone Apple is conservative. No design remake is fail. Big fat clunky version of notebook to stay is fail. and sad. This news is so bad.

budselectjr
Why would Apple go back to using NVIDIA GPUs instead of sticking with AMD? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the next-gen GPU of either manufacturer?

----

Nvidia bid a lower price

notabadname
Jun 10, 2012, 10:30 PM
This probably would mean Nvidia compatibility for the Mac Pro as well, which to me is even better news.

oiuh151
Jun 10, 2012, 10:31 PM
Well thats unexpected but typical Apple. So much for all the hyped up rumours.

6750M - http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6750M.43958.0.html
6770M (Apple downclocked it to 675MHz as mentioned on the page so some of these benchmarks may not be that accurate) - http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6770M.43955.0.html

650M - http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html

QuarterSwede
Jun 10, 2012, 10:31 PM

Now Jobs gone Apple is conservative. No design remake is fail. Big fat clunky version of notebook to stay is fail. and sad. This news is so bad.
No, Jobs was working on these before he died. Apple works 2 years out.

macnchiefs
Jun 10, 2012, 10:32 PM
Apple has successfully confused the rumor mill to the point that no one really has any clue what is going to happen.

Dyspareunia
Jun 10, 2012, 10:32 PM
650M??

BOGUS !!

As much as I would love a 680M, Apple has never equipped, to my knowledge, any of their notebooks with top of the line graphics cards. In create-to-order gaming notebooks, the 680M is a $400-500 upgrade by itself! Imagine the apple tax on that! Other issues would be power consumption and heat. You'd have to rename it the Meltbook Pro!

Tiki35
Jun 10, 2012, 10:33 PM
Well, at least we can use the razor sharp front edge of our current Macbook Pro's to slit our wrists if there is no fricken' redesign.

Zeov
Jun 10, 2012, 10:34 PM
650M??

BOGUS !!

this has been discussed in the Pro forums.. i was like you but sadly it generates too much heat and draws too much power.. (not everybody knows this stuff, including me :D)

iChrist

Ha. For iPhone and iPad yes. But NOT work 2 year out on notebook. You just hear that about iPhone and make up conclusion about notebook. Is not smart.

:cool:

verniesgarden

simply: cost. a retina screen is going to be a bit more expensive, i see it being BTO for a year or two, and a cinema display getting the treatment later this year. just my 2cents

Rmafive
Jun 10, 2012, 10:35 PM
Apple has successfully confused the rumor mill to the point that no one really has any clue what is going to happen.

Seriously! I thought I knew what was going on an hour ago!

yanksrock100
Jun 10, 2012, 10:35 PM
Isn't retina still possible, however?

QuarterSwede
Jun 10, 2012, 10:36 PM
Ha. For iPhone and iPad yes. But NOT work 2 year out on notebook. You just hear that about iPhone and make up conclusion about notebook. Is not smart.

Even then, the man hasn't even been dead a year yet!

dlimes13
I personally hope it's just a spec bump. GT 650M, USB 3.0 and 3820QM would be great to me. An innovated design, bug free and powerful. Swap the optical out for a 1 TB and add a 128 GB SSD, pure awesome.

Rocketman
Steve's blue logic board.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6750M.43958.0.html

Features

The improved feature set now includes support for up to 4 active displays. Furthermore, high resolution monitors of up to 3840x2160 pixels can now be connected using DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI 1.4a if available. HD-Audio codecs, such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, can be transmitted via bitstream mode through the HDMI port. However, as most laptops will feature Optimus, the integrated GPU will likely have direct control over the display ports and may limit the feature set available by the Nvidia Kepler cards.

That is VERY interesting to me. Do we get a 4xHDMI + random ports breakout dongle? You know, before the product has been out 6 months to 3 years? Yes it's okay if 3 of the monitors are old skewl resolution.

Rocketman

tech4all
Jun 10, 2012, 10:37 PM

If you're this devastated by this "news" then please never watch the news. Far more worse things going on in the world.

lol @ "big fat clunk version of notebook" :D:rolleyes:

iChrist
Jun 10, 2012, 10:37 PM
Even then, the man hasn't even been dead a year yet!

Yes. Is true.

Acidsplat
Jun 10, 2012, 10:38 PM
Since it looks like Apple is keeping the current MacBook Pro design, perhaps this also shuts down the rumors and naysayers saying Apple will discontinue the 17-inch?

QuarterSwede
Seriously! I thought I knew what was going on an hour ago!
This is why Apple gets so much free press. The rumors are just so confusing and fun to decipher.

Bubba Satori
How can a company that prides itself on innovation take so long to change the design of a laptop. This would be huge disappointment. This was one of the expected announcements, although I knew the claims that everything would be updated were
fake. It's just not apples style. They like to draw things out.

Captive customers. They know they can take as long as they want.

MOKHAN
Jun 10, 2012, 10:39 PM
you sound like that samsung commercial :p

Haha, I'm not sure I've seen it. Which one is that?

commander.data
Jun 10, 2012, 10:39 PM
Wikipedia lists the 650M's TDP as 45W. In comparison, the last nVidia GPU Apple used was the 330M GT which had a 23W TDP. Given this is supposed to be a "Pro" laptop, I'm happy that Apple's devoting more thermal room to put in a higher-end GPU. I don't consider a ~1" notebook to be too thick and would happily take higher performance components than be forced to scale things back in order to achieve a thinner case.

And just because Apple is keeping the same logic board design and presumably the same case design doesn't mean Retina Display isn't included. When Apple introduced LED backlighting to the MacBook Pro they didn't make the screen portion of the housing thinner or otherwise do a redesign even though that's one of the benefits of LED backlighting. Devoting space to a more powerful GPU makes good sense to match the Retina Display anyways.

StealthGhost
Jun 10, 2012, 10:41 PM
HP has the 650m in their 700 dollar notebooks.

While it's not a bad chip, I really wish Apple would step it up or at least give you an option to do so. Games are so very GPU dependent these days, and i'm sure a step up in GPU would help everything "pro"s do since most programs can utilize the GPU.

Put a 680 in as an option with extremely smart switching so if you're plugged into power you can have a beast, if you're on battery you can have something that lasts all day. Apple is great at making battery efficient software.

gatortpk
Jun 10, 2012, 10:41 PM
Not happening- why would the new MacBook have a better display than a Pro machine? Somethin's a brewin' for tomorrow, but not that...

I'm hoping it's just a transition. They don't always stop all current designs at once, during a transition.

Who knows, why can't the new MacBook Pro have a Retina Display with the same unibody?

Mak47
Jun 10, 2012, 10:42 PM
They really may not need to alter the logic board to make it thinner. If they want to taper it like the Air, sure, but that wasn't what was indicated. What was rumored was a new MacBook Pro that is thinner, but specifically not tapered like the Air. The horizontal dimensions would remain the same, simply allowing for some vertical reduction with the removal of the ODD, ethernet & firewire ports.

I wouldn't say this rules out a redesign.

We could also be seeing a logic board for a 15" Pro that matches the existing design that will be launched in addition to the newer model. Remember that Apple is pursuing emerging markets, particularly China, more aggressively as of late. These markets are more dependent on optical media than the US, so it may be too soon to kill the ODD completely, but still offer a new design for those who are ready.

Mjmar
Jun 10, 2012, 10:42 PM
Or maybe the MacBook pro will be demoted to just being a MacBook, and the new retina MacBooks will be called MacBook pros. :D

rahul247rocks
Jun 10, 2012, 10:43 PM
The 6 Series Nvidia M Class is powerful but I wonder how they will perform if Apple decides to go with the retina resolution for their Mac Lineup. Retina takes up a lot of juice and battery life, so the GPU has to work even when you do normal applications like iPhoto or Safari. Let's see how Apple counteracts that.

entatlrg
Jun 10, 2012, 10:43 PM
Perhaps they'll leave the 15 MBP in it's current form and introduce a 15" MacBook Air. (with no third line of laptops being introduced).

That makes more sense to me.

asdf542
Jun 10, 2012, 10:44 PM

While it's not a bad chip, I really wish Apple would step it up or at least give you an option to do so. Games are so very GPU dependent these days, and i'm sure a step up in GPU would help everything "pro"s do since most programs can utilize the GPU.

Put a 680 in as an option with extremely smart switching so if you're plugged into power you can have a beast, if you're on battery you can have something that lasts all day. Apple is great at making battery efficient software.

Yeah, you'll also have a machine that sets itself on fire while under heavy load.

Macdude2010
I know I am going to get disliked for this, but this is probably it, if you look at the different sizes and layouts of the air vs the pro, you will find that to keep the thin profile of the air, the logic board had to be really small. To keep the power of the MBP, you need a much bigger logic board, now think, the 13 inch air and the 15 inch pro only are about 2 inches bigger then each other, so you don't have that much more space to work with, but you have to cram in a Quad Core i7 and 2 graphics cards and you still have to have a massive, super slim battery to keep the 7+ hours on a charge. The second thing is heat dispersion, the Sandy Bridge MBP's always were very hot (my friend has one), if you make the design thinner, you also have to think about making sure the heat can get out properly, make the design thinner, and you have to worry about more heat, and with an MacBook Air profile, i don't know if you can even have 2 big fans. The last thing is, a lot of Pro's still need a DVD drive also ethernet and FireWire (me included), sure I can live without them, but it is much easier to have them. I don't think this design will be ready for a while longer, the MBP's have a very solid and thin design while having a lot of power under them. Remember the PowerBook G4 deign (which was carried on to the first MBP) was almost 5 1/2 years old when it was replaced by the unibody MBP, and the design was only changed because it was better to manufacture them this way, and made them stronger, but it only lost .05 inches during the change of design. The 2012 MBP will run much cooler, and be faster then the 2011 models, but THEY STILL MIGHT HAVE A RETINA DISPLAY!

charlituna
"Apple has been widely rumored to be introducing a redesign MacBook Pro with a Retina display and a thinner profile. But if the leaked photos are genuine they may indicate that no redesign of the body is forthcoming, as Apple would be expected to make significant changes to the logic board to accommodate rearranged internals in a thinner enclosure. "

No no no! Don't let it be true!

There's another theory going around that the Pro's won't get a redesign but there might be an expansion of the Air series which could also lose the 'Air' in the name. The Pro series would be the top of the line for the 15 inch, perhaps the 13 as well and also the available 17 inch model(s).

These chips could be, if anything, for the Pros and thus the lack of shape changes

commander.data
Jun 10, 2012, 10:46 PM

Does HP use GDDR5 with their 650M though or just DDR3? Apple always couples the GPUs with high-speed VRAM, in the past GDDR3 when it was the latest and now GDDR5, rather than using large amounts of low-speed DDR2/DDR3 and using MB/GB as the marketing focus as is more common with Windows OEMs. A 650M with GDDR5 will be noticeably faster than a 650M with DDR3.

And the 680M has a 100W TDP. The top-end 6970M in the iMac only has a 75W TDP, so you can figure out the probability of fitting a 680M in a ~1" MacBook Pro.

hisboyelroy
Jun 10, 2012, 10:46 PM

I gave up the MacBook Pro and have been using the MacBook Air and iMac duo for a few years now and really think they compliment each other very well. The MacBook Air is such a great laptop for those who need true mobility in a computer platform, I rarely use my iPad. I do use my iMac a lot still, when I need/want more computing power or a really big screen to work on multiple projects. Plus, this way, you get to spend two to three times more money! :D

wizard
Jun 10, 2012, 10:47 PM
Looks like all the hopes of a redesign are unfounded. We didn't really have any solid evidence for it anyways. Just analysts and wishes.

This is actually pretty sad as NVidias new chip sucks. Sucks watts that is. So I really hope this is a joke being played by somebody.

pragmatous
Jun 10, 2012, 10:49 PM
The nvidia 650m is a beast of a card, couple that with Ivy Bridge, and that makes it just a beast of a machine.

charlituna
Jun 10, 2012, 10:51 PM

At least. Some things might be more like 5-7 years out.

wizard
Jun 10, 2012, 10:51 PM

----

At least in Linux it sucks and on Linux AMDs drivers suck. So if AMDs old chip significantly out performs NVidias junk then I suspect somebody at Apple fell off their rocker. That is if this is true which I strongly question.

notabadname
Jun 10, 2012, 10:52 PM
Change for the sake of change is not progress. The current design is an industrial masterpiece. Until they switch to circular screens or something bizarre, it is hard to rationalize more than keeping the innards up to date. I don't find any competitive design more elegant than the machined billet of aluminum that is the MBP. And I want an optical drive.

Illusiveman88
Jun 10, 2012, 10:52 PM
Now here is something interesting, what are the I/O? I don't see anything at all. I wonder why it's not in any of the shots. Can anyone decipher a USB 3.0 chip in there?

pearvsapple
Jun 10, 2012, 10:54 PM
650M??

BOGUS !!

Good luck with 100+ celsius of heat along with 80+ db fan noise.

PeteJames
Jun 10, 2012, 10:55 PM
I don't see what the big deal is anyway, its thin enough.

dlimes13
Jun 10, 2012, 10:56 PM

This.

jamesnajera
Jun 10, 2012, 10:56 PM
Either Tim Cook will be firing some people tomorrow, or someone took his double down statement as a challenge and is trying to embarrass TC.

commander.data
Jun 10, 2012, 10:57 PM
This is actually pretty sad as NVidias new chip sucks. Sucks watts that is. So I really hope this is a joke being played by somebody.
Do you actually have evidence to complain about Keplar's power/performance efficiency. nVidia's designs have traditionally not been power/performance efficient, but reviewers have specifically noted that this is not the case with Keplar. Keplar in fact seems to be more power/performance efficient than AMD's GCN. It doesn't seem coincidental that Apple would therefore choose now to switch back to nVidia.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-review/20

In any case, this has ended up being a launch not quite like any other. With GTX 280, GTX 480, and GTX 580 we discussed how thanks to NVIDIA’s big die strategy they had superior performance, but also higher power consumption and a higher cost. To that extent this is a very different launch – the GTX 680 is faster, less power hungry, and quieter than the Radeon HD 7970. NVIDIA has landed the technical trifecta, and to top it off they’ve priced it comfortably below the competition.

QuarterSwede
Jun 10, 2012, 10:57 PM
It's the weight that counts. The Airs are much more mobile and people love them.

ckelley
Jun 10, 2012, 10:59 PM
"Praying that this is not true."

"I'm pretty upset right now. I wanted a redesign!"

"I want it to at least be thinner"

Because the current MacBook Pros look like absolute ****, amirite? They're so fat and clunky! That Jonathan Ive needs to learn what good design is! Why don't they call up Dell and HP and see what they're doing?

Oh, wait, they're all copying Apple.

You can never please everyone. And if Apple doesn't "wow" you tomorrow, you are the only person to blame for when you get your hopes up over rumors and speculation. It's a rumor, it's not what Apple is going to do, it's what Apple may do, based on mostly overseas sources with sketchy reputations. It's fun to guess, but you shouldn't hype yourself up on rumors. I heard that President Obama is buying us all ice cream tomorrow! I'm gonna be super disappointed if I can't walk into Baskin Robbins and get a free cup of ice cream! SO PISSED!

Here's what you should expect: Updated architecture to Ivy Bridge. USB 3. Faster memory. Better graphics. This is what we know, because this is what our vendors have out. Anything else should just be a nice surprise.

We've (well, some people in the Apple community) come to expect nothing short of Jesus himself in the form of a tablet, phone, or computer every time Apple makes an announcement. Do I think "Retina" displays are coming? Sure, eventually, just like 4K will hit TV's eventually. Am I going to be hurt tomorrow if Apple doesn't? No. I don't expect magic every time Apple has a press event. If you're always looking for that, you're setting yourself up for disappointment every time.

joecool99
650M is at least 30% faster then 6770M
overclock it a bit and you get your 660M

you whiners are worst then a baby!
get grip, that's a great performance upgrade

http://santafemacrepair.com/1ebay/650.png

MR1324

innovation = product development (figuring out how to make the best better)
advertisement = making you think that the current design is good enough to buy

mdriftmeyer
Sure makes a lot of sense to go with Nvidia whose yields are garbage and are months away from reaching capacity to support Apple never mind the rest of the PC Industry.

Meanwhile, AMD whose yields are high and chugging along with a superior product is not shown?

Do you folks realize that Apple designs test boards with both GPU vendors, by now?

pragmatous
Jun 10, 2012, 11:01 PM
So why do we need a thinner MBP when you got the Air's?

A lot of this complex rumor speculation is just crazy

It's the weight that counts. The Airs are much more mobile and people love them.

DIMEZ
Jun 10, 2012, 11:02 PM
do yall really want a redesign though??? i love this design...ever since 2008.

Rocketman
Jun 10, 2012, 11:05 PM
My question is simple. How are they going to double the graphics performance within one year after this release?

Rocketman

QuarterSwede
Jun 10, 2012, 11:06 PM
So why do we need a thinner MBP when you got the Air's?

A lot of this complex rumor speculation is just crazy
Because Jobs stated that the Air was where the future of their notebooks were heading and a lot of people want a lighter 15".

GizmoDVD
Jun 10, 2012, 11:07 PM

No it's not. Air is thin. Pro is a beast!

commander.data
Jun 10, 2012, 11:07 PM
Sure makes a lot of sense to go with Nvidia whose yields are garbage and are months away from reaching capacity to support Apple never mind the rest of the PC Industry.

Meanwhile, AMD whose yields are high and chugging along with a superior product is not shown?

Do you folks realize that Apple designs test boards with both GPU vendors, by now?
GK107 availability for mobile has been poor, but is GK107 really that bad? They specifically launched GK107 for mobile first, probably for yield reasons as you said, but they've since introduced GK107 based desktop cards for OEMs, and now GK107 is hitting desktop retail, so presumably production has ramped.

henry72
Jun 10, 2012, 11:08 PM
I'm sure there's going to be a redesigned Mac with a stunning Retina display!
Think about it, why would Apple wants to announces something old and uninteresting in WWDC? They can do it on the Apple website, just like last year right? (MacBook Pro in Feb, iMac in May, Air and mini in July)

Who's with me? :D

adster
Jun 10, 2012, 11:12 PM
Just a note that Ultrabooks (which is what the Air and other slim-factor PC's are called) only started getting discrete graphics chipsets.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2012/06/putting-the-ultra-into-new-dual-core-ivy-bridge-ultrabooks/

We'll see tomorrow if Apple is taking part in that. I, personally, hope they do!

MR1324
Jun 10, 2012, 11:13 PM
^^I'm with you. It makes sense since a lot of people think Apple will be moving in the wrong direction with the passing of Jobs. This is a great chance for Cook to show what Apple is still capable of.

scarred
Tomorrow will be a good day. Either Apple announces something cool I want, or I finally just upgrade the SSD in my current macbook. Been waiting a month for this!

evalex
NVIDIA gpus mean Adobe CS users can get MPE (Mercury Playback Engine- a fancy hardware acceleration that only works with NVIDIA cards) capability on their macs without spending a fortune! It's as if Apple were listening to their pro users.

pragmatous
Jun 10, 2012, 11:14 PM
Find out tomorrow. I think there's going to be a lot of disappointing people out there.

Because Jobs stated that the Air was where the future of their notebooks were heading and a lot of people want a lighter 15".

drewisanapple
Jun 10, 2012, 11:14 PM
It ain't over till Tim Cook, announces it.

Here's to the hope of Tomorrow.

mattkilla420
Jun 10, 2012, 11:16 PM
They really may not need to alter the logic board to make it thinner. If they want to taper it like the Air, sure, but that wasn't what was indicated. What was rumored was a new MacBook Pro that is thinner, but specifically not tapered like the Air. The horizontal dimensions would remain the same, simply allowing for some vertical reduction with the removal of the ODD, ethernet & firewire ports.

I wouldn't say this rules out a redesign.

We could also be seeing a logic board for a 15" Pro that matches the existing design that will be launched in addition to the newer model. Remember that Apple is pursuing emerging markets, particularly China, more aggressively as of late. These markets are more dependent on optical media than the US, so it may be too soon to kill the ODD completely, but still offer a new design for those who are ready.

i really hope you are right and they do have a thinner/lighter design. once the mac mini got the odd dropped, i had no reason to doubt that apple would also drop the odd on their macbooks.

adster
Jun 10, 2012, 11:16 PM
NVIDIA gpus mean Adobe CS users can get MPE (Mercury Playback Engine- a fancy hardware acceleration that only works with NVIDIA cards) capability on their macs without spending a fortune! It's as if Apple were listening to their pro users.

While I understand what you're saying, the Mercury Playback Engine is a competing product to theirs (Final Cut) so I don't think that played into the factor AT ALL. But I like the way you think.

GNSquacker
Jun 10, 2012, 11:18 PM
The 6 Series Nvidia M Class is powerful but I wonder how they will perform if Apple decides to go with the retina resolution for their Mac Lineup. Retina takes up a lot of juice and battery life, so the GPU has to work even when you do normal applications like iPhoto or Safari. Let's see how Apple counteracts that.
You're wrong, the GPU won't always be working. Intel said their Ivy Bridge chips Integrated Graphics 4000 can handle 4k (retina) resolutions natively/default

deannnnn
Jun 10, 2012, 11:18 PM
No redesign but adding a retina display still sounds great to me.

GNSquacker
Jun 10, 2012, 11:19 PM
Hopefully there is a redesign but if not, that's fine too. I'll still buy the Mac, I need it.
Wishing Apple gives us the option to get rid of the ODD and go dual drive like the Mac Mini last year

Illusiveman88
Jun 10, 2012, 11:20 PM
can someone confirm from memory whether or not when you click store and see the NEW icons that it was only on the iPad and Apple TV? I recall those being on some of the macs too. Apple usually leaves that NEW icon on even when it's not "new"

Lahmy88
Jun 10, 2012, 11:23 PM
Yeh Apple will bore us to death by trying to explain how adding USB 3.0 will make the thick & ugly MacBook Pros the 'leading edge' of Notebook computers!

q64ceo
Out of all the rumors, I hope that the switch to nVidia is false.

Remember how painful the recall was, Apple? Do you want to risk it again with terrible manufacturing quality?

Illusiveman88
Just a note that Ultrabooks (which is what the Air and other slim-factor PC's are called) only started getting discrete graphics chipsets.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2012/06/putting-the-ultra-into-new-dual-core-ivy-bridge-ultrabooks/

We'll see tomorrow if Apple is taking part in that. I, personally, hope they do!

I'm hoping this doesn't mean that the new "thin" macbook pro's are getting ultra book level graphic cards and not 15" notebook class graphic cards

intervenient
Jun 10, 2012, 11:24 PM
Totally called no resign.

I'll go as far as to say there will be NO major changes to any of the MacBooks. Sandy Bridge, that's it. Maybe USB 3.0. Otherwise things will stay exactly the same.

Calling it now: No retina tomorrow.

Lahmy88
Jun 10, 2012, 11:24 PM
can someone confirm from memory whether or not when you click store and see the NEW icons that it was only on the iPad and Apple TV? I recall those being on some of the macs too. Apple usually leaves that NEW icon on even when it's not "new"

You should only be able to claim 'new' for like 2 months tops!

ThunderSkunk
Jun 10, 2012, 11:28 PM
I am prepared for disappointment.
And for my quad core 15" to retain a bit more value thru this update.

...One thing that never gets mentioned much is how the fancy quad core config eats through a full battery in about 2 hrs.

Boe11
Jun 10, 2012, 11:28 PM
"Praying that this is not true."

"I'm pretty upset right now. I wanted a redesign!"

"I want it to at least be thinner"

Because the current MacBook Pros look like absolute ****, amirite? They're so fat and clunky! That Jonathan Ive needs to learn what good design is! Why don't they call up Dell and HP and see what they're doing?

Oh, wait, they're all copying Apple.

You can never please everyone. And if Apple doesn't "wow" you tomorrow, you are the only person to blame for when you get your hopes up over rumors and speculation. It's a rumor, it's not what Apple is going to do, it's what Apple may do, based on mostly overseas sources with sketchy reputations. It's fun to guess, but you shouldn't hype yourself up on rumors. I heard that President Obama is buying us all ice cream tomorrow! I'm gonna be super disappointed if I can't walk into Baskin Robbins and get a free cup of ice cream! SO PISSED!

Here's what you should expect: Updated architecture to Ivy Bridge. USB 3. Faster memory. Better graphics. This is what we know, because this is what our vendors have out. Anything else should just be a nice surprise.

We've (well, some people in the Apple community) come to expect nothing short of Jesus himself in the form of a tablet, phone, or computer every time Apple makes an announcement. Do I think "Retina" displays are coming? Sure, eventually, just like 4K will hit TV's eventually. Am I going to be hurt tomorrow if Apple doesn't? No. I don't expect magic every time Apple has a press event. If you're always looking for that, you're setting yourself up for disappointment every time.

Basically, this. Who knows what tomorrow will bring but people need to learn to bridle their expectations. Most of these "analysts" just throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks. They rarely have any more info than we do and sites like this and others need things to post in order to maintain traffic/interest so they report the conjecture.

It's all a part of the dance so don't get so emotionally invested that you're devestated when 90% of it turns out to be bulls@!t.

gatortpk
Jun 10, 2012, 11:29 PM
Totally called no resign.

I'll go as far as to say there will be NO major changes to any of the MacBooks. Sandy Bridge, that's it. Maybe USB 3.0. Otherwise things will stay exactly the same.

Calling it now: No retina tomorrow.

If there is USB 3.0 then there is Ivy Bridge. Even if there wasn't USB 3.0, they'll still be upgraded to Ivy Bridge. (Apple always uses the newest offerings from Intel.)

We'll see about your call. If there are no Retina displays, then why all the new software to support it?

Flobber88
Jun 10, 2012, 11:29 PM
I still think we'll see a thinner MBP tomorrow, after taking out the super drive in the Mac Mini I'd be puzzled if they kept it in their portables.

anandy
Jun 10, 2012, 11:30 PM
Schedule-wise, it doesn't make the best sense to redesign the model for Ivy Bridge, which is just a minor tweak to the existing Sandy Bridge. Haswell is supposed to bring thinner designs and Apple doesn't want to redesign the MBP twice in two years, why not wait until Haswell is released for the redesign?

HardBall
Jun 10, 2012, 11:31 PM
Please Apple; please make the optical drive, FW, and Ethernet disappear. Vast majority of the users have not used any of these features for years. Please don't make us having to carry around these monstrosities for several more years. They have already outlived their useful life by quite some time now, and should be living on borrowed time....

ivanpk
Jun 10, 2012, 11:31 PM
Basically, this. Who knows what tomorrow will bring but people need to learn to bridle their expectations. Most of these "analysts" just throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks. They rarely have any more info than we do and sites like this and others need things to post in order to maintain traffic/interest so they report the conjecture.

It's all a part of the dance so don't get so emotionally invested that you're devestated when 90% of it turns out to be bulls@!t.

I think people got excited at the idea that Apple had initiated a "controlled leak" because of sites like Bloomberg reporting on it. At least that's why I believed these rumors to be more credible than normal.

Ryth
Jun 10, 2012, 11:32 PM
The images show an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics chip and 1 GB of GDDR5 graphics memory,

1GB...that's it? I hope that isn't true. 2GB better be an option.

jicon
Jun 10, 2012, 11:36 PM
Can we call it what the rest of the industry calls it already? HiDPI.

HiDPI will likely come tomorrow, as many other vendors already have it, but as I mentioned before, battery is a concern with the newer chipset, and with the extra juice needed on the GPU, I wasn't expecting a redesign. Wait for the Intel 'tock' next year.

daneoni
Jun 10, 2012, 11:38 PM
1GB...that's it? I hope that isn't true. 2GB better be an option.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Apple still ships a notebook with 512MB GPU VRAM today. Heck they were shipping one with 256MB as recent as last year. 1GB is all you're getting and you must love it.

andyjam
Jun 10, 2012, 11:38 PM
It would be so funny if tomorrow's keynote was:

1. Massive overhaul of iOS with stunning new streamlined UI and a raft a new features that blows everything else out of the water.

2. Massive leap forward with OSX and the announcement that they have started development on the next big OS to replace OSX.

3. Redesigned MBP and iMac.

4. Spec bumps for MBA, Mac Mini and Mac Pro.

5. One More Thing - new iPhone.

All available today.

:D

mdgm
Jun 10, 2012, 11:39 PM
I'd be very happy if there's no redesign. The current MBP form factor is what I want.

All I want to be added is Ivy Bridge, USB3, SATA3 ports that work well with SATA3 SSDs and possibly a Retina display. I already have a SATA3 SSD ready to put into the new MBP. I would like to keep the optical drive and the ethernet port is essential. I wouldn't mind losing firewire though but that'd still be nice to have.

Pigankle
Jun 10, 2012, 11:42 PM
Given this is supposed to be a "Pro" laptop, I'm happy that Apple's devoting more thermal room to put in a higher-end GPU. I don't consider a ~1" notebook to be too thick and would happily take higher performance components than be forced to scale things back in order to achieve a thinner case.

I totally agree. Going from 2" to <1" mattered to me. Going from .68 to .53 or whatever the numbers are these days really doesn't matter as much to me as thermal performance and inclusion of multiple ports/drives.

echoout
Jun 10, 2012, 11:47 PM
Man, only one mention of CS6 in this whole thread. As a pro video user, the switch to nVidia is huge. If I can load one of these up with at least 16GBs of faster RAM, have Thunderbolt AND USB 3.0, an onboard SSD or two and an nVidia GPU, suddenly Raytracing in AE CS6 is looking a lot more appealing.

calvol
Jun 10, 2012, 11:49 PM
I gave up the MacBook Pro and have been using the MacBook Air and iMac duo for a few years now and really think they compliment each other very well. :D

I think I'll skip MBP this year and just get a Mini when they update it, to complement my 2010 13" Air, which has been an awesome road warrior for 18 months now. Not much I've seen that is compelling enough to shell out $2K for the new MBP. If we see 15" MBP with Nvidia and Retina, then I'll reconsider.

acanderson23
Jun 10, 2012, 11:50 PM

Apple, please make a new MBP that I can fapple about.

joepunk
Jun 10, 2012, 11:51 PM
Here's hoping that all of the MBP's get the "retina" display and not just the rumoured thinner one.

Pigankle
Please Apple; please make the optical drive, FW, and Ethernet disappear. Vast majority of the users have not used any of these features for years. Please don't make us having to carry around these monstrosities for several more years. They have already outlived their useful life by quite some time now, and should be living on borrowed time....

I used FW and optical drive today. I used Ethernet cable on Friday at work. In all three cases I used them in ways for which there is no alternative. At my 1000+ person workplace (DoD) there are no plans to transition to wifi, and we are not allowed to use thumb drives - external sharing of large files is strictly by optical media or via the cloud. Not saying that we are the rule, but there are tens of thousands of users for whom omission of ethernet or optical would be absolute deal-breakers.

echoout

WTF? Based on what? I freelance and work onsite doing motion graphics for a myriad of clients and use all 3 features daily. Most clients have a locked down wireless network that is too slow to dump 200 GBs of video files and firewire drives are still HUGE. I use my optical drive a lot less but I'm getting the impression there aren't so many pro users chiming in.

acanderson23
Jun 10, 2012, 11:54 PM
I can kinda of see the point of three types of notebooks. Air = Portability, MBP = All the whistles + power, and a machine that doesnt have all the extra plugs and glugs.

Navdakilla
Jun 10, 2012, 11:55 PM
Honestly, I was expecting a redesign, but given that the aluminium unibody notebooks are simply excellent, I don't see why Apple would bring us a redesign.

But nonetheless, I expected the optical drive to magically disappear as if it never existed. Looks like the magic is set for next year.

The point isn't that the design now is amazing (which I agree). It's the fact that theses laptops have had the same design for 4 years. Change is what the people need

iMikeT
Jun 10, 2012, 11:56 PM
Nvidia bid a lower price

I was hoping for more of a technical answer but I forgot to factor this part of the equation.

iChrist
Jun 10, 2012, 11:59 PM
Yeh Apple will bore us to death by trying to explain how adding USB 3.0 will make the thick & ugly MacBook Pros the 'leading edge' of Notebook computers!

Is true. Currently big clunk macbook must be redesign to make competitive. Is only way.

The notebook do not compete with ipad in design, that is strange. They must be made of same nice design. Macbook thin and nice like ipad.

mdgm
Jun 11, 2012, 12:00 AM
The point isn't that the design now is amazing (which I agree). It's the fact that theses laptops have had the same design for 4 years. Change is what the people need

The thing is the first revision of a new design tends to have some problems, so for Pro users infrequent redesigns is a good thing. Sticking with what works and making some evolutionary improvements is what's good for Pro users.

Katanae
Jun 11, 2012, 12:05 AM
I'll only say two things: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNCdM1roZoM&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1yYEDjeWA8

echoout
Jun 11, 2012, 12:06 AM
I was hoping for more of a technical answer but I forgot to factor this part of the equation.

Uhmmm... straight from the new After Effects tech specs:

"* Adobe® After Effects® CS6 renders ray-traced 3D images using your computer’s CPU, employing all of its physical cores. Additionally, it may also take advantage of NVIDIA OptiX™ for highly accelerated rendering (requires a supported NVIDIA GPU and with 1024+ MB of texture memory)."

neilpryde23
Jun 11, 2012, 12:08 AM
The thing is the first revision of a new design tends to have some problems, so for Pro users infrequent redesigns is a good thing. Sticking with what works and making some evolutionary improvements is what's good for Pro users.

I just googled reviews for it from october 2008 and I didn't see anything bad about the first generation unibody MBP but I'm fairly knew to Apple too so I easily could have missed things posted on here back when it first came out . I know that they switched from the user-replaceable batteries in the following update so battery life improved but were there any major issues with the 1st generation unibody MBP's?

I'll only say two things: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNCdM1roZoM&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1yYEDjeWA8
Britta's the worst haha :D

Rend It
Jun 11, 2012, 12:14 AM
I think what's going on is that Apple is keeping another iteration of the MBP so as not to upset those people that really need a larger thermal headroom (and therefore higher performance), as well as legacy things like DVD drive and FireWire.

The "new" line will be the rumored Retina 15" MacBook, not an Air. It will use standard mobile class processors, but won't have a wide array of ports, or ultra-high performance CPU or GPU options. Having only one screen size isn't that different from when Apple first introduced the MBP (or unibody MBP?). I believe the first one was 15".

However, I'd also wager that Apple may offer a BTO Retina display option in the Pros, but it will be very pricey.

coolguy$$$
Jun 11, 2012, 12:17 AM
I think still there is a possibility for a redesign. Rumours said the new design will have the same outer design but in a thinner form factor (not a wedge shaped design like Air). If they remove the optiocal drive, ethernet, and firewire there is still a possibility to get the same MACBOOK pro unibody design in a thinner formfactor.

Also in such a case, logic board screw positions will remain the same.

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/mbpheader11.png?w=657&h=124

currentinterest
Jun 11, 2012, 12:17 AM
Speed bumps for MBPs, upgrade plus retina for MBAs, and new thin "MacBook" 15 inch with retina and no optical drive, and another new 13 inch "MacBook" in a month or so. The MBP will be kept around for a bit, and then discontinued. That is why there will be no change in design and no retina for MBP.

Radio
Jun 11, 2012, 12:20 AM
FAKE! IT HAS SEAMS

apple would never have seams

ARN

i mean

Radio

notabadname
Jun 11, 2012, 12:25 AM
innovation = product development (figuring out how to make the best better)
advertisement = making you think that the current design is good enough to buy

Marketing = making an irrelevant, superficial change to make a product "new"
so that people will think it is good enough to buy.

Not only is Apple's aluminum body able to be machined from a single billet, providing excellent rigidity, it is the best of heat conductors, which is the opposite of carbon fiber. Until "liquid metal" matures to be scalable for the unibody, aluminum is an excellent and (importantly) perfectly recyclable material. Carbon Fiber is not. While it can be recycled, it is more complex, and doing so downgrades the fibers (shortens) and greatly limits their future use, so they are not fully recyclable, and carbon fiber normally involves the use of volatile resins.

rygamble
Jun 11, 2012, 12:27 AM
I think still there is a possibility for a redesign. Rumours said the new design will have the same outer design but in a thinner form factor (not a wedge shaped design like Air). If they remove the optiocal drive, ethernet, and firewire there is still a possibility to get the same MACBOOK pro unibody design in a thinner formfactor.

Image (http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/mbpheader11.png?w=657&h=124)

Screw positions wouldn't remain the same around where the ODD would be though.

gatortpk
Jun 11, 2012, 12:29 AM
FAKE! IT HAS SEAMS

apple would never have seams

ARN

i mean

Radio

What?

HardBall
Jun 11, 2012, 12:32 AM

Not likely;

If you look at the PCBs in question, they are of the same shape with the same cutouts for the fan assemblies. If the cases are exactly the same shape other than being thinner, that means the fans will need to remain the same shape in two dimensions, and shrink to a much smaller depth. Taking that into account and the conduction pipes for the heatsink, you see that is a highly unlikely design; unless they are somehow using a much more efficient thermal conductor for the assembly; or if they have reduced the TDP.

We know that they are likely to include options for CPU (Intel xxxx QM) + I/O chipset that have the same total TDP. So the whole thing becomes unlikely to say the least. And the vents on the back side would also see a dramatic reduction in cross section. In other words, there needs to be some redesign of the logic board as well as the cooling system to hit the thermal design point; unless they are using some novel cooling methods (liquid, laminar flow, etc), or have lower aggregate TDP to contend with.

----------

I used FW and optical drive today. I used Ethernet cable on Friday at work. In all three cases I used them in ways for which there is no alternative. At my 1000+ person workplace (DoD) there are no plans to transition to wifi, and we are not allowed to use thumb drives - external sharing of large files is strictly by optical media or via the cloud. Not saying that we are the rule, but there are tens of thousands of users for whom omission of ethernet or optical would be absolute deal-breakers.

While I'm sure your work is important; it's hardly typical.

If there are "tens of thousands" as you say, that would amount to less than 0.1% of all Mac users, not a significant user base to consider.

ladeer
Jun 11, 2012, 12:34 AM
Apple now cares a lot about enterprise customer and government who def need optical and Ethernet while careless about retina. My company orders thousands of mbp every month (100k) employees

iMcLovin
Jun 11, 2012, 12:34 AM
YES! what GREAT news to wake up to! Apple would never release 6 new mb pros of the same design- this means imac is more likely than 9to5´s predictions.

HardBall
Jun 11, 2012, 12:40 AM
WTF? Based on what? I freelance and work onsite doing motion graphics for a myriad of clients and use all 3 features daily. Most clients have a locked down wireless network that is too slow to dump 200 GBs of video files and firewire drives are still HUGE. I use my optical drive a lot less but I'm getting the impression there aren't so many pro users chiming in.

As I said, there are some organizations that are stuck on decades old technology and infrastructure. But it's not the rest of the IT industry's job to cater to a few organizations' obstinance, and refusal to adopt new technology. Ethernet was designed at a time when mini-computers were considered miniaturized platforms, and micro-computers (desktops) were only drawings on blueprints. 802.11n is perfectly secure and perfectly capable of getting 600 Mbit/s, and new standards are arriving (such as ac) to leave Gbit ethernet in the dust. DVD ROMs are being phased out by Blueray and streaming. Firewire drives can easily run with an adaptor to TB or USB3; there is literally no reason for any of these outdated techs to exist any longer.

Mackan
Jun 11, 2012, 12:41 AM
Schedule-wise, it doesn't make the best sense to redesign the model for Ivy Bridge, which is just a minor tweak to the existing Sandy Bridge. Haswell is supposed to bring thinner designs and Apple doesn't want to redesign the MBP twice in two years, why not wait until Haswell is released for the redesign?

I know Haswell will bring down the power consumption further, but not dramatically compared to Ivy Bridge. So unless there is something else that Haswell brings that enables a thinner design, I think Apple is able to go for a thinner design already now.

dbit
Jun 11, 2012, 12:43 AM
Honestly, how thin do you need a professional laptop to be? Do you really want to compromise pro performance for 'thinner'? When you want thin use your iPad or whatever. These are 'pro' performance level machines. If you have enough money to buy a pro machine without having pro needs then you probably have enough money to have other devices around when you want 'thin'.

wikus
Jun 11, 2012, 12:44 AM
That pretty much puts all the rumors of a macbook pro redesign to rest. Looks like the optical drive will continue to be used.

Glad I didn't do anything with my 15" Sandybridge MacBook Pro, I had plans of selling and upgrading but now theres even less incentive to do so.

Interesting.

As of 1:42am, my comment has 19 downranks.

Is it because people generally don't like the fact that the rumors about the removal of the optical drive can pretty much stop now or was there something wrong with something I said?

A shot of the motherboard fitted for the macbook pro with updated hardware with no design changes makes a clear case.

voyagerd
Jun 11, 2012, 12:46 AM
A 15" Retina MacBook Air would be nice to use as a work computer the job I start in a few weeks.

ralphthemagi
Jun 11, 2012, 12:46 AM

Those are basically legacy interfaces though. You can get both Firewire and Ethernet connectivity through a higher bandwidth interface like Thunderbolt or USB 3.0.

Xcallibur
Jun 11, 2012, 12:47 AM
As I said, there are some organizations that are stuck on decades old technology and infrastructure. But it's not the rest of the IT industry's job to cater to a few organizations' obstinance, and refusal to adopt new technology. Ethernet was designed at a time when mini-computers were considered miniaturized platforms, and micro-computers (desktops) were only drawings on blueprints. 802.11n is perfectly secure and perfectly capable of getting 600 Mbit/s, and new standards are arriving (such as ac) to leave Gbit ethernet in the dust. DVD ROMs are being phased out by Blueray and streaming. Firewire drives can easily run with an adaptor to TB or USB3; there is literally no reason for any of these outdated techs to exist any longer.

There is a need in high security organisations, wireless communication (even when AES 256-bit encryted) is still considered less secure than a wired connection, until wireless communication is proven to be as secure as a wired connections there will still be a need for ethernet. Although, having said that, I must stress, the numbers of purchases from highly secure organisations is probably very little.

notabadname
Jun 11, 2012, 12:47 AM
What makes it the Pro if it just becomes the Air? If you want a skinny blade of a laptop with no ODD and just solid state memory, Apple has had that product for years. I don't know a single person that doesn't occasionally use ODD and their essentially disposable media to copy, transfer or share files. It's hard to beat giving a 10¢ disc to someone or burning a copy of that movie for the kids to destroy. I am a photographer, and it is still my go-to media for giving family or clients large image files that aren't practical to email or download. All theose capabilities are what distinguishes it as a Pro, and not needing a briefcase full of peripherals to do all your tasks.

Peter.
Jun 11, 2012, 12:48 AM
Rumors up to the last second:p

wikus
Jun 11, 2012, 12:50 AM
What makes it the Pro if it just becomes the Air? If you want a skinny blade of a laptop with no ODD and just solid state memory, Apple has had that product for years. I don't know a single person that doesn't occasionally use ODD and their essentially disposable media to copy, transfer or share files. It's hard to beat giving a 10¢ disc to someone or burning a copy of that movie for the kids to destroy. I am a photographer, and it is still my go-to media for giving family or clients large image files that aren't practical to email or download. All theose capabilities are what distinguishes it as a Pro, and not needing a briefcase full of peripherals to do all your tasks.

The removal of the ODD doesnt make it an Air.

Unless you don't care about 2.5" drives, proper graphics cards or even a higher end CPU.

FrauHasSpoken
Jun 11, 2012, 12:51 AM
of course we're gonnna be disappointed.

is there ever a time we're fully satisfied?

HardBall
Jun 11, 2012, 12:52 AM
There is a need in high security organisations, wireless communication (even when AES 256-bit encryted) is still considered less secure than a wired connection, until wireless communication is proven to be as secure as a wired connections there will still be a need for ethernet. Although, having said that, I must stress, the numbers of purchases from highly secure organisations is probably very little.

Like many have suggested, and I already said; there are perfectly capable adapters over TB or USB3 that will be more than capable, for the extreme corner cases if some organization has a legitimate reason to require wired connectivity (for DoD stuff, I understand). That is by far a tiny minority of actual users of Macs. There is no reason to force every single user to have these useless feature (to most) on their laptops to make them heavier, less wieldy, and omit useful things (such as larger battery, better cooling system, etc).

ckelley
Jun 11, 2012, 12:54 AM
While I'm sure your work is important; it's hardly typical.

If there are "tens of thousands" as you say, that would amount to less than 0.1% of all Mac users, not a significant user base to consider.

As a creative professional, I use FW800, optical discs and Ethernet connections every day. Hooked up to my MBP is 2-4 TB of daisy-chained drives via FW800. Connected via GigE is our 10TB network storage and backup, just for the creative department, on top of the multiple TBs of network storage for our company. If you think sending hundreds of gigabytes per day over 802.11g, even 802.11n in PERFECT conditions is acceptable you are sorely mistaken. I burn discs of large files to vendors all the time, not everyone accepts submissions via the Internet and sometimes sending 6GB of clips in ProRes or 800 full res RAW photos from an event is just more efficient that way. We also recieve large collections of photos and videos from agencies we work with over disc, but more and more they send us hard drives with FW interfaces if they're over a certain amount of GB.

This is called the MacBook PRO, and as such should feature a certain level of built-in I/O that PROFESSIONALS use. You could drop the internal disc drive, but cutting out FireWire and Ethernet would be a huge mistake.

If you don't need it, fine, Apple is more than happy to sell you a MacBook Air.

HardBall
Jun 11, 2012, 12:55 AM

If you need one, there has been a USB external one for years, since early 2008 from Apple; and has been available elsewhere since forever. If they "occasionally" need it, then it's perfectly legitimate to expect them to use an external one for that purpose.

StealthGhost
Jun 11, 2012, 12:57 AM
Does HP use GDDR5 with their 650M though or just DDR3? Apple always couples the GPUs with high-speed VRAM, in the past GDDR3 when it was the latest and now GDDR5, rather than using large amounts of low-speed DDR2/DDR3 and using MB/GB as the marketing focus as is more common with Windows OEMs. A 650M with GDDR5 will be noticeably faster than a 650M with DDR3.

And the 680M has a 100W TDP. The top-end 6970M in the iMac only has a 75W TDP, so you can figure out the probability of fitting a 680M in a ~1" MacBook Pro.

2gb GDDR5. Mac will probably only be 1gb I imagine

echoout
Jun 11, 2012, 12:58 AM
Like many have suggested, and I already said; there are perfectly capable adapters over TB or USB3 that will be more than capable, for the extreme corner cases if some organization has a legitimate reason to require wired connectivity (for DoD stuff, I understand). That is by far a tiny minority of actual users of Macs. There is no reason to force every single user to have these useless feature (to most) on their laptops to make them heavier, less wieldy, and omit useful things (such as larger battery, better cooling system, etc).

Of course, we all know you can use adapters, but why carry around a bunch of adapters for things the vast majority of businesses still use for interfaces that are barely supported. My clients are primarily the bigger game companies, ad agencies and animation studios, all still very much using ethernet, firewire drives for exchanging files and even the occasional DVD burn of assets.

Why even have USB ports for the last many years if firewire could handle it? Reminds me of those old, tiny Sony micro books that required a bag full of adapters to get anything done.

Merax
Jun 11, 2012, 12:59 AM
802.11n is perfectly secure and perfectly capable of getting 600 Mbit/s,

I've never seen more than ~160 Mbit/s over 802.11 N, and it goes down with additional users and distance. Gigabit ethernet doesn't have these disadvantages.

CmdrLaForge
Jun 11, 2012, 12:59 AM
Perhaps they'll leave the 15 MBP in it's current form and introduce a 15" MacBook Air. (with no third line of laptops being introduced).

That makes more sense to me.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Only adding a 15" Air but not a third line of laptops. All Airs go retina.

dethmaShine
Jun 11, 2012, 01:00 AM

I'm sure they are the same people who cheat on their girlfriends simply for something new or expect a new wife every day.

Sure, change is what some people need.

echoout
Jun 11, 2012, 01:01 AM
As a creative professional, I use FW800, optical discs and Ethernet connections every day. Hooked up to my MBP is 2-4 TB of daisy-chained drives via FW800. Connected via GigE is our 10TB network storage and backup, just for the creative department, on top of the multiple TBs of network storage for our company. If you think sending hundreds of gigabytes per day over 802.11g, even 802.11n in PERFECT conditions is acceptable you are sorely mistaken. I burn discs of large files to vendors all the time, not everyone accepts submissions via the Internet and sometimes sending 6GB of clips in ProRes or 800 full res RAW photos from an event is just more efficient that way. We also recieve large collections of photos and videos from agencies we work with over disc, but more and more they send us hard drives with FW interfaces if they're over a certain amount of GB.

This is called the MacBook PRO, and as such should feature a certain level of built-in I/O that PROFESSIONALS use. You could drop the internal disc drive, but cutting out FireWire and Ethernet would be a huge mistake.

I don't where you live, "ckelley" but I need to buy you a beer. Hurray for professionals dealing with less than ideal conditions.

wikus
Jun 11, 2012, 01:02 AM

I get the feeling that anyone who downranks this has never had a real job or did more than just send photos to grandma and grandpa on their computers.

As a fellow creative professional, I fully agree with *everything* you've said. I've worked in environments where the studio's main storage had about 10TB of data JUST for the graphic design department and we *needed* to be connected via ethernet. Some photoshop files alone would amount to 2gb which still took 10 or so minutes to open directly from the server but made more sense to copy to the desktop and open from there.

Wifi is a joke for heavy work.

HardBall
Jun 11, 2012, 01:02 AM

Well like I said; if these organizations still think that they actually need ethernet, then they are simply not behaving reasonably. It's not these files are top government secret and need the highest level of security.

They simply refuse to adopt new interfaces like USB3 and TB, which are both superior to FW and Ethernet for these types of file transfers in many ways. This is not a case of real need, it's just a case of perceived "need"; where in fact, it boils down to some managers innate fear of change and their refusal to consider anything out of their comfort zone.

Konrad
Jun 11, 2012, 01:03 AM
LOL. The airheads at it again...at this stage of the current affairs I would be more concerned about the hors d'heurves at the conference. I kind of like this latest rumor. Meanwhile, here in Europe, Croatia played a phenomenal game winning with Ireland 3:1

Konrad
Jun 11, 2012, 01:14 AM
Well like I said; if these organizations still think that they actually need ethernet, then they are simply not behaving reasonably. It's not these files are top government secret and need the highest level of security.

They simply refuse to adopt new interfaces like USB3 and TB, which are both superior to FW and Ethernet for these types of file transfers in many ways. This is not a case of real need, it's just a case of perceived "need"; where in fact, it boils down to some managers innate fear of change and their refusal to consider anything out of their comfort zone.

And you are just stubbornly refusing to understand that the bolt pattern and Ferrari wheels are much superior and you insist on not replacing the idiot Honda with a new car from Maranello.

jsolares
Jun 11, 2012, 01:14 AM

Haswell is still atleast a year out, and with AMD underperforming it might take longer, How big a change is haswell re tdp anyways? ivy bridge already brought the TDP down, but then again...

I get the feeling that anyone who downranks this has never had a real job or did more than just send photos to grandma and grandpa on their computers.

As a fellow creative professional, I fully agree with *everything* you've said. I've worked in environments where the studio's main storage had about 10TB of data JUST for the graphic design department and we *needed* to be connected via ethernet. Some photoshop files alone would amount to 2gb which still took 10 or so minutes to open directly from the server but made more sense to copy to the desktop and open from there.

Wifi is a joke for heavy work.

You can get FW800 and Gigabit ethernet with the Apple Thunderbolt Display, not cheap but you can, there's also the dock station belking is coming out with. there might also be Gigabit adaptors for USB3.0, sure a dongle might not be the prettiest solution but you can only go so thin and keep the ports.

notabadname
Jun 11, 2012, 01:18 AM
If you need one, there has been a USB external one for years, since early 2008 from Apple; and has been available elsewhere since forever. If they "occasionally" need it, then it's perfectly legitimate to expect them to use an external one for that purpose.

As I said, I don't want to have a desktop or briefcase full of peripherals. Obviously USB versions are available. But if you need an external Hard Disk Drive because the affordable internal solid state is only 250 GB, AND you need an external ODD for burning media, I start to question what makes it a Pro. That is like having a "Pro" tool (such as a miter saw) for my wood working that doesn't really do all the compound cuts, but if I want to get some additional boxes and fences, I can make it do most of the stuff the real "Pro" tool does. The MBP doesn't feel very "Pro" to me if I need $400 worth of peripherals.

Peace
Jun 11, 2012, 01:19 AM
I dont think Ethernet is going away this time around however it is still possible the ODD could be gone with a solid state drive in its place .
People wanting to burn disks can get a USB 3.0 dongle for the burner. Or maybe even a TB ODD .
The location of some of the parts around the 2011 MBP were moved to around the 2012 GPU away from where the ODD was. This could mean the area around the old cut-out for the ODD has changed in some fashion.

TheGenerous
Jun 11, 2012, 01:20 AM
It's sooo cloooose :D

ckelley
Jun 11, 2012, 01:21 AM

Our IT department, headed by some really smart people who do know what they're talking about and are aware of what is currently out there and coming down the road, would laugh in your face if you suggested everyone suddenly move off our wired GigE connections over to wifi, just because.

Are you insane? You must be or spectacularly blitzed out of your mind to think wireless performance is anywhere near what you think it is, even in 100% ideal conditions.

I'll wait while you transfer those hundreds of GB over the wifi network while I can get it done in minutes over GigE.

I'm not against USB3 or TB, I'm ready to embrace them, but there's no reason to remove either of the ports you just mentioned. How many adapters and dongles do we need to buy so your perfect MacBook Pro can shave off 0.03 of an inch? it's not worth it.

This isn't some original iMac removal of the floppy drive or serial bus type revolution here, it's fast, current generation industry standard I/O used every day by professionals.

And no, my PSDs and RAW files and videos or anything like that aren't top secret, but we have financial data and records for thousands of our clients and employees... we do have trade secrets and information that would be harmful if our competitors got access to them, and things like that should take no risk over a wireless connection if the only excuse is "well, you're sticking with old antiquated technology!"

marcusj0015
Jun 11, 2012, 01:27 AM
OMG That graphics card sounds EPIC! God, I hope all these rumors come true! ^_^

monoskier
Jun 11, 2012, 01:28 AM
The USB3/TB -> Firewire adapters aren't able to maintain the latency and constant signals for pro audio work either. Firewire does. If you drop the signal on a live audio feed during a session you cant just resend the packet and pick up where you left off like you can for a data file transfer.

that1guyy
Jun 11, 2012, 01:28 AM
I didn't read much of the thread (too tired) but can anyone give me a rough idea of how the nvidia gt 650m compares to the Ati radeon 7750 and 7770?

edit" Does this following link show the accurate graphic cards?

http://www.graphicscardbenchmarks.com/page/compare

If so Nvidia has a big advantage. But I notice the numbering is different. What's the difference between
gtx 650 and gt 650m?
THANKS

Mak47
Jun 11, 2012, 01:30 AM
i really hope you are right and they do have a thinner/lighter design. once the mac mini got the odd dropped, i had no reason to doubt that apple would also drop the odd on their macbooks.

I can see another scenario. In the past Apple has been hesitant to add too much choice to their lineup. Considering the number of people buying Macs, that made a lot of sense. Today there are a lot more people interested in these computers, making it plausible to expand the lineup a little bit.

Here's the scenario:

Portables:

MacBook Air: 11" & 13". Same wedge design, eventually getting thinner. Upgraded internals, integrated GPU, retina display

MacBook: 15" to start, perhaps adding 13" later. As thin as the Air at it's thickest point. No ODD, FW800, Ethernet-but has dedicated GPU, fast processor, SSD, retina display, built in RAM. Marketed as the full-powered notebook of choice for consumers.

MacBook Pro: 15", maybe 17". Upgraded internals, retina display, retains legacy ports. Configurable 'til you're blue in the face.

Desktops:

Mac Mini: Retains same design, upgraded internally as tech allows. Ivy Bridge will support retina display monitors.

iMac: Possible thinner, chinless redesign. Retina display, Ditches legacy ports, maybe retains ethernet. Marketed as the desktop of choice for consumers.

Mac Pro: Probably retains existing design, internals upgraded appropriately, retains legacy ports. All GPU options support retina resolutions. Configurable 'til you're blue in the face.

It used to be a desktop and a portable for consumers, and a desktop and a portable for pros. The market has changed, the "Prosumer" is now a major force in the market and Apple's market share has grown to the point that it can offer some choice. They understand that pros are less concerned with having the flashiest toys and are more concerned with all their stuff continuing to work. They also know that they can't just abandon that market, there's a lot of value in the fact that creative professionals choose Macs, it's a hell of an endorsement. Doing it this way would allow for innovation on the consumer front, while not alienating pros.

...Or maybe it's 2:30 AM and I need some sleep.

marcusj0015
Jun 11, 2012, 01:31 AM

Well, if the ODD stays, bump it to Blu-ray! :D

Ryth
Jun 11, 2012, 01:33 AM
Mac Pro: Probably retains existing design, internals upgraded appropriately, retains legacy ports. All GPU options support retina resolutions. Configurable 'til you're blue in the face.

...Or maybe it's 2:30 AM and I need some sleep.

The Pro Tower is getting a new look...smaller and sleeker...no ODD in them.

...Or maybe it's 2:34 AM and I need some sleep :p

the8thark
Jun 11, 2012, 01:36 AM

This is proof the Macbook Pro won't be talked about in the WWDC keynote. Anything that is not a major re-design will just get a brief mention elsewhere or just a silent update on the website.

usptact
Jun 11, 2012, 01:41 AM
Great news! It will be possible to do CUDA computation on the new MBP!

marcusj0015
Jun 11, 2012, 01:43 AM
Great news! It will be possible to do CUDA computation on the new MBP!

Why do you care about CUDA? No offense, but NVIDIA has deprecated it (AFAIK) and OpenCL is comperable... Idgi.

macintoshi
Jun 11, 2012, 01:46 AM
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-650m/specifications it looks like, its retina combatible:
Display Support:
3840 x 2160Maximum Digital Resolution
Up to 2048x1536Maximum VGA Resolution
YesHDCP
YesHDMI

Hope its this version: 735MHz with GDDR5 at least.
Sadly no 2GB:(

echoout
Jun 11, 2012, 01:47 AM
Why do you care about CUDA? No offense, but NVIDIA has deprecated it (AFAIK) and OpenCL is comperable... Idgi.

Hmm, let's see...Adobe CS6 video is accelerated by it, maybe? It's like there are professionals who need a "pro" version of a MacBook. How weird.

marcusj0015
Jun 11, 2012, 01:55 AM
Hmm, let's see...Adobe CS6 video is accelerated by it, maybe? It's like there are professionals who need a "pro" version of a MacBook. How weird.

Actually CS6 only uses OpenCL...

Not the best article, but it illustrates my point.

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2012/05/premiere-pro-cs6-6-0-1-update-bug-fixes-and-improved-opencl-performance.html

vikpt
Jun 11, 2012, 01:56 AM
I seriously hope this is not true! If there's no redesign with the new macbook pro's tomorrow Apple will disappoint a loooot of people who have been waiting and saving for it!

marcusj0015
Jun 11, 2012, 01:56 AM
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-650m/specifications it looks like, its retina combatible:
Display Support:
3840 x 2160Maximum Digital Resolution
Up to 2048x1536Maximum VGA Resolution
YesHDCP
YesHDMI

Hope its this version: 735MHz with GDDR5 at least.
Sadly no 2GB:(

Interesting that it only supports OpenGL 4.1...

Actually, Wikipedia says NVIDIA's supported OpenGL 4.2 for years... maybe that links wrong?

On both Mobile and Desktop... :/

adster
Jun 11, 2012, 02:00 AM

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2012/05/premiere-pro-cs6-6-0-1-update-bug-fixes-and-improved-opencl-performance.html

But Adobe CS6 has the Mercury Playback Engine thats much improved while using a NVIDIA GPU.

macintoshi
Jun 11, 2012, 02:01 AM
Interesting that it only supports OpenGL 4.1...
Yeah and why apple just wants 1gb memory, when the card supports up to 2048 MB, that is a mystery tome...

marcusj0015
Jun 11, 2012, 02:02 AM
Yeah and why apple just wants 1gb memory, when the card supports up to 2048 MB, that is a mystery tome...

-_- Apple may not use OpenGL 4.2 or even 4.1, but still.

----------

But Adobe CS6 has the Mercury Playback Engine thats much improved while using a NVIDIA GPU.

Link?

macintoshi
Jun 11, 2012, 02:03 AM

----------

Link?

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-680m/specifications the high end support also only 4.1

Ironduke
Jun 11, 2012, 02:09 AM
and the disappointment begins:cool:

muhhahahahhahahhahahhhhahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahahhhhahahahhaha hhahahhahahhahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahhaha hahhahahhahahah

technopimp
Jun 11, 2012, 02:10 AM
And so we begin the 5 Stages of Apple Product Announcement Grief:

1) Denial-"The rumors of xxx are true, I know it! Apple wouldn't do JUST a spec upgrade! Thy owe us!"

2) Anger-"What?! A spec upgrade?? No xxx or yyy?! What the &$@# are they doing?? Steve would NEVER have let this happen!"

3) Bargaining-"Ok, ok, so this new leak looks real...but...maybe they'll STILL introduce xxx as 'one more thing' or there will be another line to incorporate xxx. There's no way all the rumors COULDN'T be true!"

4) Depression-"Um...ok, 30 seconds left in the keynote. Any time now. ...where's one more thing? ... Oh gosh...that's it. They didn't introduce xxx. Now what an I going to do? I've already been using it in my mind for the two weeks since the rumor came out."

5) Acceptance-Well, they didn't introduce xxx. But that's ok. We really didn't need it anyway. In fact, yeah, that would have been stupid to do. Now, where's my credit card? I need an incremental upgrade..."

echoout
Jun 11, 2012, 02:14 AM

No, not really.

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and-adobe-premiere-pro.html

----------

----------

Link?

...in regards to After Effects...

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2012/05/gpu-cuda-opengl-features-in-after-effects-cs6.html

lloyd709
Jun 11, 2012, 02:17 AM
English? lol

You ever tried learning another language? I'm trying to learn Spanish now and can tell you I can only dream of being at the same level of Spanish as he is at English!!

Dreamer2go
Jun 11, 2012, 02:18 AM
redesign or not
I just want RETINA DISPLAY

my 5 year old MBP is dying....... I dont think I can wait for another version.
For the Sandy Bridge one, everyone is saying: There is a redesign. None.
Now, there are rumors about having a redesign, but some sources claim otherwise...

sigh.

Just give me the retina display and my credit card is ready

marcusj0015
Jun 11, 2012, 02:19 AM
No, not really.

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and-adobe-premiere-pro.html

----------

...in regards to After Effects...

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2012/05/gpu-cuda-opengl-features-in-after-effects-cs6.html

"note that nearly everything said below about CUDA also applies to OpenCL"

Bako-MacAddict
Jun 11, 2012, 02:20 AM
Will see tomorrow .... I'm happy with my MBP october 2011 . But if theres a retina display macbook, I'll sell this one on craigslist lol

Eadfrith
Jun 11, 2012, 02:24 AM
And reality sets in..;)

MuppetGate
Jun 11, 2012, 02:28 AM

Exactly. I'm not sure why folk are expecting so much hardware stuff from a developer's conference.

And you are so right about the analysts just slinging crap at the wall. One fella said that there was a 50% chance that Apple would introduce new Macbooks. That's not an analysis; that's just a guess.
And I really loved the guy who said, "I've looked at the evidence, read the reports, analysed the data and I believe it can go one of three ways: Apple will retina displays at the WWDC, or they will introduce them after the WWDC, or they will not introduce them at all."

I think this 'doubling down' on secrecy is really working; no one really has a clue what's going on. Later on today, some analyst will put up a crowing web page saying that they called it, but there's been so much finger-in-the-air guesswork going on that someone is bound to have got something right.

lloyd709
Jun 11, 2012, 02:29 AM
What's all the hype about a retina display?

The display on my 5 year old MBP seems to be fine. I'm a professional photographer and can see all the detail I need (and I would have thought if anyone needs detail it would be the likes of me). I've got an iPhone 4s (which I think has one) and haven't noticed any difference between it and my iPhone 3! Maybe I'm just going blind in my old age or perhaps when I actually see a images on a retina display I will be convinced - but in the meantime if anyone can explain the practical differences I would be interested!

needfx
Jun 11, 2012, 02:35 AM
Here's adding nothing to the speculations

Sit tight and fasten your seatbelts, it's gonna be a bumpy ride

Edit
Has anyone asked Siri about what she thinks will be announced?

vpro
Jun 11, 2012, 02:38 AM
Just a thought:

There doesn't look to be very much 'competition' out there in terms of design and ease of use with powerful machines as the pros line of Macs. Macs are so specialized machines that APPLE can really take its time with drastic 'redesigns' etc because no other computers out there present any threat to image.

I went for the MBP 17" because of its look first and then realized I can do SO MUCH MORE than I did on my HP 1998 Pavilion (HAHAHAHAAA) but not that much more really, just more fancy and a little quicker here and there but that old HP machine still does a ton of great things for my music career (still).

Yes, it is true, it takes me that long to finally catch onto a good thing. If it wasn't the fact that I really need to refresh my MBP badly because it has developed a curious thing with which the fan is on as soon as I turn on the computer until I turn it off (for 2 years with no solutions in sight), it makes it difficult to record my albums in my apartment studio with the whooshing sound (sigh).

If I am unimpressed with the line up and announcements today I will hold tight 4 more years if I have to. This 2007, 2008 MBP 17" is still amazing and feels faster than its ever been, I haven't updated anything on it AT ALL since I first got it, the only problem has been the fan constantly on issue.

I only own one Apple product and I'm gonna keep it that way.

Bako-MacAddict
Jun 11, 2012, 02:39 AM
http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/why-does-a-retina-display-matter-1082433

Read this article ...

The display on my 5 year old MBP seems to be fine. I'm a professional photographer and can see all the detail I need (and I would have thought if anyone needs detail it would be the likes of me). I've got an iPhone 4s (which I think has one) and haven't noticed any difference between it and my iPhone 3! Maybe I'm just going blind in my old age or perhaps when I actually see a images on a retina display I will be convinced - but in the meantime if anyone can explain the practical differences I would be interested!

Virgule82
Jun 11, 2012, 02:39 AM
One takeaway from this discussion is that there's definitely room for a range of laptops betweent the Air and the Pro. I would love a Macbook that's slightly thinner with no optical drive, ethernet and FW, but with a decent GPU and replaceable RAM and hard disk.

The Pros can keep the current Pro ;)

AudioFileZ
Jun 11, 2012, 02:41 AM
Well, it won't be long...Less than 12 hours now, but I must say real concrete info on the new MacBook Pro has been difficult, at best, to nail down.

Saying it will be the same profile and thinner is akin to saying your next Hershey bar will be brown and rectangular. All laptops of either the same or higher power get thinner, if not monthly certainly yearly. Of course it will be thinner if only by a small margin. The real question isn't if it will retain the same profile, as that is almost a certainly with The Air being a wedge (why have a Pro Air?), but what will the composition of the chassis be? Will it remain machined aluminum, so-called "liquid metal", or something unknown in laptop manufacture?

We know Apple will use new Intel Ivy Bridge chipset technology and we know that Apple won't settle on imbedded video, these rumors have been fairly well substantiated. What we want to know is exactly how the display itself will be up-graded? I'm guessing by this site, as well as the general around-the-web rumor-mill, that a very refined super LCD back-lit display will be used. Will the new display achieve such pixel density as to be coined Retina is unknown, yet seems likely even if the technology isn't the same as the latest iPad.

As a Dell XPS 15Z user who only selected it due to the excellent 1080p screen,I expect this to be the machine that pushes me to make the jump to a Mac. I believe the compelling Ivy Bridge technolgy, a 1080p beyond screen - possessing quite possibly a new high in pixel-density, combined with the absolute thinnest profile possible (while retaining Apple's famous rock-solid chassis sturdiness) will be exactly what Apple delivers. This alone should push sales into overdrive as the last build is now, basically, two years old retaining physical and other traits from way over that period. Add a new OS and you have the nex-gen MacBook Pro. It will be a statement product in technology and build-quality and I am ready!

Ironduke
Jun 11, 2012, 02:49 AM
There is no reason for the Pro to Change Design, the Pro is a work horse which means it needs a Power CPU, good GFX, Large Hard Drive, and it still needs the DVD drive for those who need to export Large Amounts of data.

Apple Mince enough with the Pro Models you can see they already compromise performance for Style as they under clock their GPU's.

They can't go further towards style as it will make the word Pro look silly

OliverOSX93
Jun 11, 2012, 02:50 AM

Change for the sake of change is the mentality of a spoiled child, please stop displaying it. (it's very unbecoming)

If the design still works and apple can't currently improve on it while providing a happy medium they won't change it. They are probably testing new designs but that doesn't mean they will use them.

toughboy
Jun 11, 2012, 02:52 AM
HOW THE HECK ARE THESE CHINESE DUDES GETTING ALL THE PARTS IN ADVANCE?!?!?!?! :mad::mad:

MacRumorUser
Jun 11, 2012, 02:53 AM
I have activated the hi-dpi option on my Mac for a while, and in doing so have thought for a good while whilst these rumours circulated that whilst a nice fanciful idea, the OS and applications are just not ready for it.

The majority of assets are still low res, and 99.5% of third party applications are likewise.

When you see a retina / hi-dpi asset sat next to a low one, it is really jarring and does not look great or indeed very professional.

Unless Mountain Lion is FULLY hi-dpi ready which in its current form is still not the case, the 'readiness' for Hi-Dpi displays is simply 'not now' in regards to the timing.

Still I wait for the official announcement to see if they surprise me, tempt me or dumbfound me. :)

lloyd709
Jun 11, 2012, 02:53 AM
Just a thought:

If it wasn't the fact that I really need to refresh my MBP badly because it has developed a curious thing with which the fan is on as soon as I turn on the computer until I turn it off (for 2 years with no solutions in sight)

Have you tried opening it up and blowing the dust out of it!! Did this with a friends of mine and it solved his 'fan always on' problem! These things can get full of dust which acts as a very good insulator and making the temperature sore even with no use on the processor resulting the fans staying on!!

Photovore
Jun 11, 2012, 02:58 AM
Change for the sake of change....
Y'know, people seem pretty satisfied with, for example, pork chops, or broccoli, and the basic design there hasn't changed in my lifetime, that I can recall....

anthony11
Jun 11, 2012, 03:05 AM
This is gonna be the same kind of let down that the iPhone 4s was.
The 4s was not a letdown in any way. Before the announcement some joker spread a rumor that a radically different iPhone 5 was going to be announced, but nobody with a clue believed it:

o The iPhone 4 didn't really lack
o The iPhone 3G was followed by the 3GS
o Had Apple blown their wad jamming everything into the iPhone 4 successor, what would that leave them for this year?

All the hype for a big redesign, but it's actually just an incremental upgrade. So lame...

You do understand the concept of a rumor right?

----------

How can something "be" "fail"? I suggest getting your money back from your ESL instructor.

Erasmus
Jun 11, 2012, 03:06 AM
Based on this thread, the majority of people seem more interested in change for change's sake than actually improving the MBP in any meaningful way.

Is strange.

Faster CPU, and GPU ~50% faster than before. No significant other info. And people still complain.

Very strange.

star-affinity
Jun 11, 2012, 03:06 AM
While I'm sure there are some who use the optical drive often (still think most don't nowadays) it sure takes up a ridiculous amount of space inside, space that I think could be used for much better things. It's also possible to use an external ”Superdrive”, so I would definitely like to see a MacBook (Pro) without an optical drive.

I guess it's easier to do the logic board re-design with all that extra space. Don't necessarily think the design of the case has to be thinker (just for the sake of it).

lloyd709
Jun 11, 2012, 03:08 AM
http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/why-does-a-retina-display-matter-1082433

Read this article ...

Thanks for this, read it though but all it basically says is 'it's better, it's better, it's better, apps are sharper, photos's are sharper everything's sharper, it's better'!!!!!! Doesn't convince me I need it - like I need USB3, faster and cooler CPU and GPUs.

needfx
Jun 11, 2012, 03:10 AM
I have activated the hi-dpi option on my Mac for a while, and in doing so have thought for a good while whilst these rumours circulated that whilst a nice fanciful idea, the OS and applications are just not ready for it.

The majority of assets are still low res, and 99.5% of third party applications are likewise.

When you see a retina / hi-dpi asset sat next to a low one, it is really jarring and does not look great or indeed very professional.

Unless Mountain Lion is FULLY hi-dpi ready which in its current form is still not the case, the 'readiness' for Hi-Dpi displays is simply 'not now' in regards to the timing.

Still I wait for the official announcement to see if they surprise me, tempt me or dumbfound me. :)

I concur without any tech reasoning from my part, but isn't apple an entity pulling the rest of the tech world forward?

anthony11
Jun 11, 2012, 03:10 AM
HOW THE HECK ARE THESE CHINESE DUDES GETTING ALL THE PARTS IN ADVANCE?!?!?!?! :mad::mad:

Hint: MBP's aren't made in Lesotho.

miniroll32
Jun 11, 2012, 03:12 AM
Face it; this is WWDC, not Macworld. I can't understand why everyone expected Apple to actually announce new hardware on stage!

Stores will be down and up in the next 24-hours with a quiet refresh ;)

iChrist
Jun 11, 2012, 03:13 AM

Wow sir. If cant tell difference between iPhone 3 and iPhone 4 screen something is wrong. Need to see doctor or something of that nature. How is possible to not tell??? Is so crazy.

weckart
Jun 11, 2012, 03:13 AM

Why would Apple remove the SD slot that it can find room for in the MBA?

I am curious to see whether Apple is going to dump the ethernet, in spite of business users, in favour of updating the WiFi with 80.211ac chips from Broadcom.

Neodym
Jun 11, 2012, 03:14 AM
One takeaway from this discussion is that there's definitely room for a range of laptops betweent the Air and the Pro. I would love a Macbook that's slightly thinner with no optical drive, ethernet and FW, but with a decent GPU and replaceable RAM and hard disk.

The Pros can keep the current Pro ;)
Man - that would really annoy a lot of people seeing room for an xMac between an iMac and a Mac Pro, with basically the same reasoning (decent/replaceable GPU/Ram/HDD for "Prosumers"). Now if Apple would close that hole in their mobile portfolio, but not on the desktop line...

champ01
Jun 11, 2012, 03:14 AM

Which doesn't necessarily mean Steve Jobs worked on these designs.
Not the iPhone, not the Mac's or anything else for that matter.

Steve jobs last years most have been extremely hard.
Do you really think Steve worked till the day he died?
He was a human not a freaking robot that just stopped working.

If Apple says that new products over the years are from Steve Jobs you'll know it's just marketing right?

iChrist
Jun 11, 2012, 03:16 AM

Hint: Is not made with poor workmanship is US, is made by Chinese precision. So parts made in china is how chinamen see it first.

Wow.

outsidethebox
Jun 11, 2012, 03:18 AM
Based on this thread, the majority of people seem more interested in change for change's sake than actually improving the MBP in any meaningful way.

Is strange.

Faster CPU, and GPU ~50% faster than before. No significant other info. And people still complain.

Very strange.

I am one of these "people" hoping for even incremental design changes. In contrast, what is with all the people saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? What kind of company would Apple be today if it followed these same rules for the last 6-7 years?

Where is the innovation-pushing efforts at all on any of the Macs (aside from "wedge-shape on the Air) in the last few years?

No higher resolutions at all on "Pro" machines (STILL 1280 on the 13"), no SSD+HD innovation for overall speed, no effort to shrink the bezel even a little around the screens, there are countless even minor things Apple could do to improve the MBP, but you seem content to just leave it as it is indefinitely? It's been 4-5 years now. Something needs to change.

mirko.meschini
Jun 11, 2012, 03:22 AM
Now i think Kuo's claim goes to be true. Legacy MacBookPro for people that needs superdrive, fw800, ethernet etc... And a new notebook with all modern stuff: thinner, tb+usb3, no-odd, ssd+hdd, retina. Now 15", in future 13 and 15.
It makes much sense for me.

steve-p
Jun 11, 2012, 03:22 AM
ROFL. I use Ethernet every day, FW several times a week for Time Machine backups and the Superdrive several times a month for ripping CDs (since they are cheaper and better quality than iTunes). Now you've told me these are all monstrosities, I will just have to stop.

beowulf70
Jun 11, 2012, 03:25 AM
ROFL. I use Ethernet every day, FW several times a week for Time Machine backups and the Superdrive several times a month for ripping CDs (since they are cheaper and better quality than iTunes). Now you've told me these are all monstrosities, I will just have to stop.

I have to agree with you Steve. Let's just all quit Apple shall we..? er no. :rolleyes:

Erasmus
Jun 11, 2012, 03:29 AM
No higher resolutions at all on "Pro" machines (STILL 1280 on the 13"), no SSD+HD innovation for overall speed, no effort to shrink the bezel even a little around the screens, there are countless even minor things Apple could do to improve the MBP, but you seem content to just leave it as it is indefinitely? It's been 4-5 years now. Something needs to change.

That's not what people here are asking for. They are asking for Apple to cut ~30% off the size and weight, without considering either what would have to go, or what could be put in its place. "Minor" changes do not count as a redesign, and happen all the time.

iChrist
Jun 11, 2012, 03:30 AM
In contrast, what is with all the people saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? What kind of company would Apple be today if it followed these same rules for the last 6-7 years?

Best post. With no Jobs we must wonder if innovation is possible to continue. Not likely with Tim Cook give employees extra days off and keep big clunk design of MacBook pro.

womble2k2
Jun 11, 2012, 03:30 AM
There is an obvious answer to these leaked photos.

What if Apple wanted to test the new processor / GPU combinations ahead of finalising the actual design of the latest Macbook Pro's? Would they not simply try the chips in the current enclosure?

So, my theory is that these are early prototype boards (I know Apple prototype boards are normally red, but given that this screams out "leak me" to factory workers, maybe Apple has changed this strategy).

It would also allow Apple to openly test the new Macbook Pro internals without drawing attention to the device.

I do believe there is a good reason for Apple to have three lines of Macbooks, as they serve different markets better than 2, i.e.;
Macbooks - Good for students and lighter home users
Macbook Pros - Good for heavier home users and certain business / professional markets, especially creatives for the 17 inch.
Macbook Airs - Good for home users who like a light device and need a full notebook instead of iPads, also good for business executives that travel with only carry-on luggage.

My current Macbook Pro is three years old this week, so I'm now very interesting in what Apple will announce as a new machine will be bought within the next year!

Joe23
Jun 11, 2012, 03:31 AM

Is strange.

Very strange.

I'll take the current MBP design, with the new processors and what-not. All I want is a screen resolution in a 13" Apple laptop that doesn't completely blow.

I don't want a 'retina' display, just something that isn't embarrassing for a "Pro" series of laptops. Other manufacturers do it, why not Apple?

mrklaw
Jun 11, 2012, 03:32 AM
based on the level of GPU Apple have put in before (i.e not great) - the 650M is a great chip.

so either Apple figure people will want to play more games at better quality, or they've beefed it up to handle the retina display..

steve-p
Jun 11, 2012, 03:34 AM

So let me get this straight. You are saying companies should abandon their cat 6 physical infrastructure which is fast and has far more throughput than any existing or near future wifi standard, just because it is theoretically possible for them to spend a load of money on a complex wireless setup involving a large number of access points across several floors in large buildings. All so that removing Ethernet from laptops will allow them to be a few mm thinner? Dream on.

Augure
There is on rule which I've gone by for two years now, and it has always been right:

Apple simply doesn't innovate anymore.

iOS6 will bring few not innovative options at all, while the ugly "New iPhone" redisign will look exactly like the thinner and taller iPhone 4SS you saw. Moutain Lion is exactly what you could expect, the same buggy useless update as Lion but with few more functionnalities, and the Macbook Pro update will look exactly the same with lame if not backward (for the GPU) hardware update.

In short, fanboys have ruined Apple, not Apple. If fanboys were smart enough to not take this BS, Apple would have to do better like they did before, but now that they hit the mainstream market AND fanboys are stupid rationnalizint idiots, why would they need to?

shompa
650M??

BOGUS !!

Apple have never had a high end GPU in their laptops. You get less then 50 minutes battery time with a 680M. Gaming is NOT Apples prime market.

+ it costs 1000 dollars more.

The funny thing is that Alienware and other gaming vendors don't offer anything over 1920x1080 screens.

NeoLuxembourg
The 650M is a great GPU, but the new AMD 7000 Series with Zero Core technologie would be great for batterie life!

arnoldma
Jun 11, 2012, 03:42 AM
no retainer display? looks like ill be buying a windows laptop this year :) see u next time apple

ri0ku
Jun 11, 2012, 03:49 AM
no retainer display? looks like ill be buying a windows laptop this year :) see u next time apple

But..you will be missing out on Lion's auto correct spelling feature :( which you seem to really need.

:rolleyes:

LividChihuahua
Jun 11, 2012, 03:49 AM

So what windows laptop are you going to get with a retina quality display? I'll wait.

Also changing the screen wouldn't require any drastic logic board changes, I new connector (which could look pretty much the same from the top) and your good to go.

iSunrise
Jun 11, 2012, 03:52 AM
Guys, a PRO laptop has to have PRO performance with all the latest stuff. Sacrificing performance on a PRO for a thinner design doesn´t make sense at all. Don´t just read every ****ing news, put your brains to work for a change.

Ivy Bridge - unrivaled perf per watt
GT650M aka. Kepler (GK107) - unrivaled perf per watt
+ new Intel onboard features (USB 3.0, etc.)

And to the guys who think AMD is a better choice than NVIDIA with the current ASICs, you flat-out don´t know what you´re talking about. Yes, NVIDIA reserved lots of GPU capacity at TSMC for GK107 and had to wait a couple of months just to have enough of them for Apple, but that chip´s horsepower at that TDP has to be seen to be believed. The Kepler stuff is impressive, to say the least. This is no rebranded Fermi, anymore.

And 100 watts TDP just for the GPU is just stupid, no one wants that in his laptop.

The new Macbook Airs should also have Ivy Bridge, but onboard graphics only (HD 4000). The possibility of a Macbook line is there, however, even if it smells a bit fishy to me.

JustMartin
Jun 11, 2012, 03:56 AM

What hype? There's been a lot of rumours and some very excited people, but no 'hype' as such from Apple.

beowulf70
Jun 11, 2012, 04:00 AM
Best post. With no Jobs we must wonder if innovation is possible to continue. Not likely with Tim Cook give employees extra days off and keep big clunk design of MacBook pro.

.. following that same thread then... must we wonder that Sir Jonny Ive IS still in fact employed by Apple and is doing his job......?? :rolleyes:

mrmarts
Jun 11, 2012, 04:01 AM
After selling my 13inch macbook with the current design for a bigger screen, i won't have the heart to buy into the same design again i will regretfully have to live another year using my iPad as a laptop.

if apple don't wow us with any mac changes it will not only hurt us but also the the company as well with its lingering Mac pro and iMac lines, mac customers are eagerly looking for something new.

MIDI_EVIL

The current MacBook Pro 15'' GPUs are also compatible with MPE in CS6, using OPEN CL.

laurent05
I personally hope it's just a spec bump. GT 650M, USB 3.0 and 3820QM would be great to me. An innovated design, bug free and powerful. Swap the optical out for a 1 TB and add a 128 GB SSD, pure awesome.

2nd that big time!

beowulf70
Jun 11, 2012, 04:02 AM
Guys, a PRO laptop has to have PRO performance with all the latest stuff. Sacrificing performance on a PRO for a thinner design doesn´t make sense at all. Don´t just read every ****ing news, put your brains to work for a change.

Indeed. If you really want and need a thinner design, buy a MacBook Air. If not, shut up whining.

BriSpe
Jun 11, 2012, 04:10 AM
Face it; this is WWDC, not Macworld. I can't understand why everyone expected Apple to actually announce new hardware on stage!

Stores will be down and up in the next 24-hours with a quiet refresh ;)

For the last time...Apple did release new Hardware on WWDC in the past. Please watch the Keynotes.
It doesn't matter if this Conference is just for the developers.
Hardware and Software are both equivalently important to developers.

marcusj0015
Jun 11, 2012, 04:11 AM

... They almost certainly work in the factories making the products...

appleguy123
Jun 11, 2012, 04:15 AM

Image (http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/mbpheader11.png?w=657&h=124)'

I think you missed the other photos of this supposed leak from 9to5. This would absolutely require a logic board redesign.

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/mpb_bothsides.png

----------

This is proof the Macbook Pro won't be talked about in the WWDC keynote. Anything that is not a major re-design will just get a brief mention elsewhere or just a silent update on the website.

The Unibody MacBook Pro's got their first spec bump at WWDC 2009. http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/08/phil-schiller-keynote-live-from-wwdc-2009/

CJJflag
Jun 11, 2012, 04:15 AM
Probably wanna check 9to5 mac right now.,...

http://9to5mac.com/

Very exciting times...