Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hols

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Hey all,

I've got this issue where when I turn my macbook on, it goes to the apple, and the little swirly thing, but won't go past there.

Found this link with the exact same problem from 2009:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/674512/

The advice given was so:
"Okay, shut down the Mac (hold down power key)
Restart whilst holding down Command-S

The screen should turn black and load some text

At the prompt type

fsck -fy and press Return

Hopefully some repairs will be performed.

At the prompt type

reboot and press Return

Cross your fingers"

Crossed my fingers... but it didn't work. It has come up with ** The volume OS could not be repaired. *****File System Was Modified*****

So......

A little help!? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxx
holly

----------

more info - here's EVERYTHING it said after I typed in fsck -fy:

** /dev/rdisk0s2
** Root file system
** Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
** Checking Extents Overflow file.
** Checking Catalog file.
disk0s2: I/O Error.
Invalid sibling link
(4, 3723)
** Rebuilding Catalog B-tree.
disk0s2: I/O error.
Invalid node structure
(4, 256)
disk0s2: I/O error.
** The volume OS could not be repaired.

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
:/ root#

doctormark77

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Houston TX
I'm not familiar with those commands so they may be equivalent to what I'm about to suggest. Do you have your recovery cds or an OS install cd? If so you could boot off of that and use disk utility. Once in disk utility you should be able to "repair disk". I had an old iBook that would not boot until I did that. If you can get to boot again I would backup your data if you haven't already.

hols

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
I'm not familiar with those commands so they may be equivalent to what I'm about to suggest. Do you have your recovery cds or an OS install cd? If so you could boot off of that and use disk utility. Once in disk utility you should be able to "repair disk". I had an old iBook that would not boot until I did that. If you can get to boot again I would backup your data if you haven't already.

Ah yes - background info.

Well bought this laptop in 2006, so it's pretty old.

It started running very slow - all components freezing and then after 10 seconds either closing or working again. Opening up even just a folder, with nothing else open, would cause it to slow right down and/or freeze until after a while it then opened up. All programs ran slowly - even the calculator!

So two days later (when I finally had some spare time) I backed up EVERYTHING. All photos, music, files and other important stuff - so that's all safe :) But then it crashed 1 day later and now I can't turn it back on - with all the stuff I outlined in my first post.

BUT I don't have the recovery or install CD's. Due to it being so old, and moving house and interstate and back and then moving some more (moving house 6 times in 6 years) and I've lost them somewhere along the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.