PDA

View Full Version : Details on New Mac Pro and MacBook Pro Specs Surface, Retina Notebook Still Under Wraps [Updated]

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 11, 2012, 05:26 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/details-on-new-mac-pro-and-macbook-pro-specs-surface-retina-notebook-still-under-wraps/)

9to5Mac reports (http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/11/new-mac-pro-spec-bumped-macbook-pro-specs-new-airport-express-usb-superdrive-magsafes-coming-at-wwdc/) that it has obtained details on the configurations of the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro to be released later today, with specifics on a number of accessories also appearing. The list is not complete, however, as it does not include details on the thinner Retina-display notebook, which is believed to be coming as a third member of the MacBook family, or the MacBook Air.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/macbook_pro_mac_pro_side_by.jpg
As previously noted, the Mac Pro is set to arrive in three separate stock configurations: two standard and one server. There have long been rumors of a case redesign, but so far only specs of the base models are known.- Normal configuration: 3.2GHz quad-core processor, 6GB of RAM, 1TB hard drive, and the ATI Radeon 5770 graphics chip.

- Normal configuration: 2.4GHz 12-core processor, 12GB of RAM, 1TB hard drive, and the ATI Radeon 5770 graphics chip.

- Server configuration: 3.2GHz quad-core processor, 8GB of RAM, Two 1TB hard drivesOddly, the ATI Radeon HD 5770 is the stock graphics card included on the current, nearly two-year old Mac Pro. Apple would be expected to use a much newer graphics card option in its revised machines.

On the MacBook Pro side, the report points to four stock models, two each in 13.3-inch and 15.4-inch sizes. These machines are thought to be upgraded versions of the existing design, lacking a Retina display. Photos of what is claimed to be the graphics hardware on the logic board of the 15-inch MacBook Pro appeared (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/10/photos-of-claimed-new-15-inch-macbook-pro-logic-board-show-nvidia-gt650m-retained-layout/) just a short time ago, showing an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics chip with 1 GB GDDR5 graphics memory.- 13.3 inch: 2.5GHz dual core processor, 4GB of RAM, 500GB hard drive

- 13.3 inch: 2.9GHz dual core processor, 8GB of RAM, 750GB hard drive

- 15.4 inch: 2.3GHz quad core processor, 4GB of RAM, 500GB hard drive

- 15.4 inch: 2.6GHz quad core processor, 8GB of RAM, 750GB hard drive (BTO upgrades to 2.7GHz quad core and 1TB HD will be available)The report notes that the thinner "MacBook Pro" models with a Retina display are still expected to be introduced, with an analyst report from a few days ago having specifically claimed (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08/apple-to-introduce-third-macbook-line-with-retina-display-at-wwdc/) that they would be arriving alongside the existing MacBook Pro form factor for the time being. Details on the new Retina-capable notebook do, however, remain unknown. The MacBook Air is also expected to be gaining an update later today, and details on those models are not yet available either.

Apple will also be releasing a number of new accessories today, and the report indicates that these will include an updated AirPort Express, new USB SuperDrive, and a Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter. Apple may also be revising its MagSafe power connection standard, with new accessories related to that change making an appearance.

Update: As several readers have noted, not only is the inclusion of an old graphics card on the Mac Pro a strange detail, but the listed processors do not even exist at the appropriate price and performance points in the Sandy Bridge E Xeon E5 line of Intel processors Apple is expected to use. 9to5Mac's pre-launch spec sources have generally been very accurate in recent years, but they appear to be off this time on at least the Mac Pro models.

Article Link: Details on New Mac Pro and MacBook Pro Specs Surface, Retina Notebook Still Under Wraps [Updated] (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/details-on-new-mac-pro-and-macbook-pro-specs-surface-retina-notebook-still-under-wraps/)

Feed Me
Jun 11, 2012, 05:28 AM
Please for the love of god make the MacBook Pros retina

jamswirl
Something fishy about those mac pro specs...

mirko.meschini
So we are going to get a MacPro with 3-years old graphics card and non-existent processors... Crap!

Nimrad
Jun 11, 2012, 05:29 AM
I would like it better if they would've updated all new macs from now on as retina compatible. But, still, good to see retina is still rumored! After all the rumors I will not settle for anything less than retina(I'm addicted after buying iPhone 4S and iPad 3rd gen) and I don't wanna wait forever!

destroyboredom
Jun 11, 2012, 05:30 AM
I would guess that retina will be a built to order option if this report is correct. 9to5 Mac is usually pretty reliable.

Mr-Stabby
Jun 11, 2012, 05:30 AM
That can't be right. Mac Pro with the same graphics card as the 2 year old base model?? :eek:

samac92
Jun 11, 2012, 05:31 AM
5770?

theSeb
Jun 11, 2012, 05:32 AM
Please check what you're regurgitating from 9to5 for heaven's sake!! :mad:

Radeon 5770? A 3 year old card? Look, Apple does not always use the latest and greatest, but to reuse the same card that's been the entry-level in the Mac Pro since 2010 would be a new low.

3.2GHz quad-core processor? There is no such processor in the Sandy Bridge Xeon line-up. There is a 3.2 Quad core Nehalem, but you can buy it right now in the 2010 Mac Pro.

It's more likely to be a 3.6 GHz Quad (E5-1620) or the 3.2 Hex (E5-1650)

2.4GHz 12-core ? There is no such thing in the model line-up that one would expect Apple to use

In the Sandy Bridge Xeon line-up you can get a 2.4 8 core (E5-2665) , which is ridiculously expensive, thus it would be a 16 core model (2x8) or you can get a 2.3 6 core. The 2.3 6 core (E5-2630) is less than half the price of the 2.4 8 core.

The 2.4 8 core costs about $1440. The 2.3 6 core costs about $612. Thus you won't see the 8 core in the entry-level dual CPU configuration. It's more likely to be a 2.3 12 core using the E5-2630 x 2.

At least try to get the basic facts right. Seriously, you guys.

Edit: I acknowledge that there is an E3 3.2 Quad Core, which was released in April 2011 and there is even an Ivy Bridge E3 3.2 Quad Core released recently, but it wouldn't make sense for Apple to suddenly start using the E3 series. The performance benefit from the 2010 models would not be worth it.

There is a 2.4 GHz 6 core, but it's the E5-4610, which is designed for 4 CPU systems and costs about $1219.

Those processor choices do not make sense based on previous trends.

Edit2: There is another thing that I've completely forgotten about...

The E5 - 24## series and specifically the E5-2440, which is 6 core 2.4 and costs about $832 each and supports dual CPU configurations. The 24## series runs lower TDP than the 26## and is meant to be the more light weight version. But this is designed for servers, rather than workstations, as per Umbongo.

Update:

Sandy Bridge-E processors have quad memory channel, so the 3-6-12GB is nonsense. They should use 4-8-16GB configurations.

J.gerbes
Jun 11, 2012, 05:33 AM
I wish this is all true (ignoring the last terrible "leak")

Rilution
Jun 11, 2012, 05:33 AM
I do hope Apple has something more exciting in store today than this...

Anki
Jun 11, 2012, 05:34 AM
My body is ready. :rolleyes:

Confuzzzed
Jun 11, 2012, 05:35 AM
At present I am minded to treat some of the output from 9to5mac with suspicion. Things just don't add up particular rumours of a new macbook range, the mac pro spec and the lack of iMac refresh.

rovex
Retina will make an appearance; built to order or otherwise.

hexx
hmm... not sure what to make out of this, I guess I'll just wait for the announcements.

I have late 2009 13.3" macbook pro but replaced HDD with SSD and swapped 2GB of RAM with 4GB.

What I'd love to have though is 13.3" Air with a Quad core (I'm a web developer and for several virtual machines more cores would be preferred). It looks like I won't be upgrading as yet. Don't want 15" laptop, have 15" MBP at work and that's where it stays - too big and heavy to be carried around.

Or at least if they update 13.3" MBP with a Quad core... But no point for me to switch from 2 cores to slightly faster 2 cores.

lifeguard90

Radeon 5770? A 3 year old card? Look, Apple does not always use the latest and greatest, but to reuse the same card that's been the entry-level in the Mac Pro since 2010 would be a new low.

3.2GHz quad-core processor? There is no such processor in the Sandy Bridge Xeon line-up. There is a 3.2 Quad core Nehalem, but you can buy it right now in the 2010 Mac Pro.

2.4GHz 12-core processor? There is no such thing at all. In the Sandy Bridge Xeon line-up you can get a 2.4 8 core (E5-2665) , which is ridiculously expensive, thus it would be a 16 core model (2x8) or you can get a 2.3 6 core. The 2.3 6 core (E5-2630) is less than half the price of the of the 2.4 8 core.

The 2.4 8 core costs about $1440. The 2.3 6 core costs about $612. Thus you won't see the the 8 core in the entry-level dual CPU configuration.

Yeah these specs and 9to5's "leaked" list seems bogus in part. Mac pro cant come with the above listed specs
Should have put a * caution comment on here

Where the hell are the imacs.

henry72
Jun 11, 2012, 05:36 AM
New MagSafe power connection seems very interesting :D
I'm so excited about the new MacBook :) My credit card is ready Apple!

tony3d
My god someone better be wrong about the 5770!

miniroll32
I love how fans jump on the bandwagon of a particular feature, build up their own expectations and then complain when it's not even introduced. Macrumors is certainly food for the brain!

vikpt
Jun 11, 2012, 05:37 AM
old-looking with patehtic upgrades of 13 and 15 in. Macbook Pro alongside with a thinner, retina 15 in. Macbook Pro?! Really?! I dont think so... Why can't Apple just make ALL 13, 15 and 17 in. Macook Pro's thinner with retina displays?

fpsBeaTt
Jun 11, 2012, 05:37 AM
Methinks these figures are full of crap.

arctic
Jun 11, 2012, 05:38 AM
The Macbook Pro specs seems very typical Apple (not giving us stock SSD). Happy for the 8gb RAM stock and GeForce GT 650M. Hoping for great battery figures with this generation.

Ironduke
Jun 11, 2012, 05:39 AM
Good Gooooooooooood

I Can feel Your Anger!

It gives you focus!

makes you strongerrrrrrrrr!:cool:

Nova Sensei
Seems like 99% of the time the rumor sites are just regurgitating rubbish to keep the beast moving along......

miniroll32
Methinks these figures are full of crap.

We'll see in seven hours time.

rafaelcordoba
Jun 11, 2012, 05:40 AM
I bet no retina MacBooks will be released. I'm 90% sure on this. They had technical issues. Wait and see. :cool:

IraDeorum
Jun 11, 2012, 05:41 AM
My body is ready. :rolleyes:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/077/988/my_body_is_ready.png

WildCowboy
Jun 11, 2012, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the sanity check on the Mac Pro, folks. Not sure what's going on there...9to5's source has always been very accurate on specs, but these simply can't be right.

(Still bleary-eyed and didn't check closely enough myself.)

mogzieee
Jun 11, 2012, 05:42 AM
Good lord. I literally have no idea what will be announced. I can't help but horribly think we've over estimated the whole Retina-Mac thing.... as much as I'd love to see it, I can see myself tomorrow thinking "pah, it was not gunna happen anyway"...

omenatarhuri
My god someone better be wrong about the 5770!
5770... no way. That's already two generations old. Doesn't make sense. BS.

BornAgainMac
If Apple does do subpar with high prices and no redesign with the Mac Pro then they want people to not buy it. Then they can say next year they are dropping it because nobody buys it. I have seen them do this before with other Macs. It is in their DNA.

theSeb
Jun 11, 2012, 05:43 AM
Seems like 99% of the time the rumor sites are just regurgitating rubbish to keep the beast moving along......

My favourite is when they quote each other and then use whoever quoted their rumour to show that somebody has "backed-up" their original rumour.

This happened a couple of weeks ago and I just had to sketch it out

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/da_seb/benchmarks/rumourscycle.png

DrFu79
I was never really hot for Retina Displays. Too soon, too expensive and - for me - not really necessary on my mac. Prepare to be disappointed.

Excited about the nVidia Graphics though.

Current tests show that the 650M is about 30-40% faster than the 6770M :D
Skyrim, here comes my new Laptop ... :cool:

charlieegan3
I can't see the 5770 bit being true.

Do we just get everything from 9to5 these days, only a little later?

theSeb
Jun 11, 2012, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the sanity check on the Mac Pro, folks. Not sure what's going on there...9to5's source has always been very accurate on specs, but these simply can't be right.

(Still bleary-eyed and didn't check closely enough myself.)

No worries. Those just don't make any sense at all.

Rizzn
Whole lot of BS (hopefully) in these last leaks.

themcfly
9to5mac is so committed protecting their thinner retina macbook pro rumor they don't even pay attention anymore at what they're writing....:rolleyes:

rovex
Jun 11, 2012, 05:45 AM
Go from an iPad 1/2 to 3 and tell me retina's too soon!

JS77
The report notes that the thinner "MacBook Pro" models with a Retina display are still expected to be introduced, with an analyst report from a few days ago having specifically claimed that they would be arriving alongside the existing MacBook Pro form factor for the time being

If I'm reading this article right, analysts are expecting a 3rd line of Macbooks which are a cross between a Macbook Pro and Macbook AIR with a Retina Display??

Is that right??

stanny
Can Macrumors post up the blogging link already? I want to bookmark it before I sleep and that's what I want to read when I wake up, not watch the video.

Mediaformae

Very... in all of them.
Would anyone call them new or just more of the same?

hexx
Jun 11, 2012, 05:46 AM
If I'm reading this article right, analysts are expecting a 3rd line of Macbooks which are a cross between a Macbook Pro and Macbook AIR with a Retina Display??

Is that right??

yes anal-ysts are the ones who expect it ;) (the ones who're always wrong)

theSeb
Jun 11, 2012, 05:47 AM

Is that right??

It's more likely to be the long-rumoured 15" MBA. A third version of a Macbook does not make much sense.

omenatarhuri
I was never really hot for Retina Displays. Too soon, too expensive and - for me - not really necessary on my mac. Prepare to be disappointed.

Excited about the nVidia Graphics though.

Current tests show that the 650M is about 30-40% faster than the 6770M :D
Skyrim, here comes my new Laptop ... :cool:
I was thinking about jumping ship from MBP to MP. Even if the 650M is fast, it is still going to be hot. The current MBP fan already winds up too much when playing and making the machine thinner won't help.

MP + MBA/iPad should be the ultimate setup.

hakime
Someone is getting it wrong here. ATI 5770 can't be true, it's a two years old card. I mean what would be the point? I think their so called source or themselves had misunderstood the 5770 and the 7770. If Apple keeps using ATI on the Mac pros, the defaul configurations should have the Radeon 7770 with possible upgrade to the Radeon 7870.

But the 5770, no way on earth!!!!

Moonjumper
Jun 11, 2012, 05:49 AM
If there is a third Macbook line with Retina, I wonder what the current MBP design will offer that the new one doesn't?

ODD probably, but that doesn't seem enough for a separate line, especially for Apple. There must be something else if the rumours are true.

ezekielrage_99
Jun 11, 2012, 05:50 AM
So we are going to get a MacPro with 3-years old graphics card and non-existent processors... Crap!

Oh dear God, would Apple consider putting a 3 year old graphics chipset in a Pro machine?

Putting a 5770 in a new Mac Pro is complete FUBAR.

rovex
Jun 11, 2012, 05:51 AM
There really is little incentive to announce the MBP at WWDC if it didn't come with a little extra flare. Otherwise they would just continue their non publicly announced refreshes as they've done so the last few years as far as the pro goes.

KPOM
Jun 11, 2012, 05:52 AM
Hopefully 9to5 Mac's rumor about the Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter is true. It would be nice to see Apple start to take charge and make good use of the Thunderbolt port.

Anyway, just a few more hours and we'll all know for sure.

maehara
Jun 11, 2012, 05:53 AM
My take on the Mac Pro specs: Somewhere in Apple, the suspected leak who was fed some nonsense specs (just to see if they got out), is being carried to the door.

"Double-down on secrecy", remember. Not that tracking all the rumours isn't fun, of course... :)

DrFu79
Jun 11, 2012, 05:54 AM
I was thinking about jumping ship from MBP to MP. Even if the 650M is fast, it is still going to be hot. The current MBP fan already winds up too much when playing and making the machine thinner won't help.

MP + MBA/iPad should be the ultimate setup.

I just HOPE (but i think it won't happen) that they leave the Optical Drive out and use the extra space for advanced cooling / more battery or both. Then there would be more possibilities.
In a perfect world (for me) there would be space for a second HDD or a second GPU. But well :D

Macbook Pro thinner? Don't care. More Power? Please yes.

Steve121178
Jun 11, 2012, 05:55 AM
Good lord. I literally have no idea what will be announced. I can't help but horribly think we've over estimated the whole Retina-Mac thing.... as much as I'd love to see it, I can see myself tomorrow thinking "pah, it was not gunna happen anyway"...

People always over-estimate and get disappointed.

I've only been a member here for a few years, but I've noticed that people create unrealistic expectations then get angry when their crazy expectations are not met.

I haven't predicted anything so I can't be disappointed. I'm more interested in Mountain Lion & iOS 6 than new hardware anyway.

JesperA
Jun 11, 2012, 05:55 AM
I dont get what the fuzz is all about, "cpu:s that doesnt exists"?

The "Normal configuration: 2.4GHz 12-core processor" can use this CPU: http://ark.intel.com/products/64602/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-4610-(15M-Cache-2_40-GHz-7_20-GTs-Intel-QPI) (12 core processor can just be someone that wrote it in the wrong terms, meaning 2 of those 6-core CPU:s (The "Normal" 2 socket version of the Mac Pro), not 1 cpu with 12 cores in it).

And the "Normal configuration: 3.2GHz quad-core processor" and "Server configuration: 3.2GHz quad-core processor" can use this one http://ark.intel.com/products/52271/ as a "Normal" singel socket Mac Pro.

Ve3tro
Jun 11, 2012, 05:57 AM
I don't know much regarding AMD cards but could they have gotten the numbers mixed up and meant to say 7770? Surely that series would be more the ideal card?

hexx
Jun 11, 2012, 05:57 AM

I've only been a member here for a few years, but I've noticed that people create unrealistic expectations then get angry when their crazy expectations are not met.

I haven't predicted anything so I can't be disappointed. I'm more interested in Mountain Lion & iOS 6 than new hardware anyway.

would give you 1000 thumbs up for this. exactly spot on, all these rumours are driven by some analyst's expectations based on (mostly) nothing and people take it for granted.

Mr Rogers
Jun 11, 2012, 05:58 AM
:mad:What happened to all the iMac rumours and talk of 27in 'RETINA' displays!!!

Looks like peeps got into a frenzy over mere speculation from others desire, rather than the reality that higher density pixel LCD displays are bloody expensive, even in a 13 & 15in format - never mind a 27in format.

Still, whilst my expectations for the iMac have been low, a failure to update after more than 400 days does not say a lot about us iMac users.

All I want is a bump in spec's, not much to ask, but this is Apple we are talking about!!!!

CJJflag
Jun 11, 2012, 05:58 AM
I bet no retina MacBooks will be released. I'm 90% sure on this. They had technical issues. Wait and see. :cool:

90% sure on what basis...?

mrxak
Jun 11, 2012, 05:59 AM
I think this is a case of people/sites wanting to keep getting attention/ad hits in the final hours before the real news comes out and people can read all about it on Apple.com.

Here's hoping the source of these obviously fake Mac Pro specs isn't the same source as the other Mac Pro rumors (as in, the ones that tell us the Mac Pro is finally getting a refresh).

I think there might just be a riot if the Mac Pro isn't updated with modern hardware.

wizard
Jun 11, 2012, 06:00 AM
If Apple does do subpar with high prices and no redesign with the Mac Pro then they want people to not buy it. Then they can say next year they are dropping it because nobody buys it. I have seen them do this before with other Macs. It is in their DNA.

Hopefully the specs are bogus or maybe an attempt to find leaks. Apple would get no relief at all if they stuck with an old generation GPU. The Mac Pro is pretty pathetic as it is, so they really need to show some innovation there. Stomaching NVidia will be bad enough if that rumor is real.

jontech
Jun 11, 2012, 06:01 AM
Credit card ready and already made excuses to the wife

I need USB 3 and a better video card 5770 won't cut it. Would like the option for 7 series

Warbrain
Jun 11, 2012, 06:03 AM
90% sure on what basis...?

He doesn't need any. His suspicion.

hakime
Jun 11, 2012, 06:05 AM

The "Normal configuration: 2.4GHz 12-core processor" can use this CPU: http://ark.intel.com/products/64602/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-4610-(15M-Cache-2_40-GHz-7_20-GTs-Intel-QPI) (12 core processor can just be someone that wrote it in the wrong terms, meaning 2 of those 6-core CPU:s (The "Normal" 2 socket version of the Mac Pro), not 1 cpu with 12 cores in it).

And the "Normal configuration: 3.2GHz quad-core processor" and "Server configuration: 3.2GHz quad-core processor" can use this one http://ark.intel.com/products/52271/ as a "Normal" singel socket Mac Pro.

I also thought that this could be the reason, they got the wording wrong and probably this is also the case to the graphics card. If we assume that they mean 12 core configuration ( 2 x 6 core processors) then the CPU specs can make sense together with their increase to 12 GB for the standard RAM. We would then be able to upgrade to a 16 core configuration (2 x 8 cores processors)

But it can't be the ATI 5770!!!! And on top of that, references to the Radeon 7770 and 7870 have been found in OS X a few months ago.

luemmel123
Jun 11, 2012, 06:06 AM
MacBook Air Pro?

wizard
Jun 11, 2012, 06:06 AM
Rather I see informed people that want to see Apple make use of technology that already exists.

is it unrealistic to expect Apple to lead the industry technology wise.

Well if you need nothing better it is hard to be disappointed. For a rather large mix of people though they wants more from Apple. honestly who else can people look to for bleeding edge technology?

theSeb
Jun 11, 2012, 06:07 AM

I can't imagine Apple using the E3 series. It came out in April 2011 and the likelihood of Apple utilising the E3 is next to none based on previous trends. The processors that are equivalent to what's been used before in the single CPU models are the E5-16## series. Using the E3 would not be a step forward in performance in comparison to the 2010 model.

The other processor is the 46## series, which again Apple is not likely to use, never mind the fact that it costs $1219 each. Why would Apple choose to use the 46## series when it's designed for 4 CPU systems on a dual CPU configuration?

I think every one knows that a 12 core means 2 x 6 and 16 core means 2 x 8. You don't need to point this out.

CJJflag
He doesn't need any. His suspicion.

90% sure on a suspicion...? I'm all for opinions, if anything I hope he is right, but just wondered if there was any solid evidence that would suggest such high confidence we won't see Retina.

kromekat
Could all be grossly missing the mark, and there will be NO new Mac Pros lol! :eek:

Warbrain
Jun 11, 2012, 06:09 AM
90% sure on a suspicion...? I'm all for opinions, if anything I hope he is right, but just wondered if there was any solid evidence that would suggest such high confidence we won't see Retina.

Yes. On his own suspicions.

Uplift
Jun 11, 2012, 06:09 AM
I think we may get lucky and see a retina display, but i don't think it will be much else.. just the regular updates to bring it into line.

I don't see why apps on mac appstore would update with release notes such as 'Retina Graphics' if it wasn't coming... why would they add retina for no reason?

theSeb
Jun 11, 2012, 06:11 AM
I think we may get lucky and see a retina display, but i don't think it will be much else.. just the regular updates to bring it into line.

I don't see why apps on mac appstore would update with release notes such as 'Retina Graphics' if it wasn't coming... why would they add retina for no reason?

Don't forget that there were already high-res images in Lion last year. They are getting the software ready for it, but they might have had issues in getting the hardware.

Sphaeromac
Jun 11, 2012, 06:12 AM
Could all be grossly missing the mark, and there will be NO new Mac Pros lol! :eek:

That would be no laughing matter.

modelbehaviour
Jun 11, 2012, 06:12 AM
I'll be happy whatever they bring out, since whatever it is, it will be a significant improvement on my 2007 white MacBook.

Mac Kiwi
Jun 11, 2012, 06:13 AM
Usually the best graphics card you get offered with the Mac Pro { apart from Quadros } is the model that the PC gaming world has just moved on from......Or that's how it usually goes.

Three year old cards is a bit of struggle to believe though.

leman
Jun 11, 2012, 06:14 AM
Please for the love of god make the MacBook Pros retina

And please make them shiny pink! That would be as useful as having retina :rolleyes:

mogzieee
Jun 11, 2012, 06:17 AM

Exactly mate. I've love to see the new hardware as I'm in need of a new notebook, but there's no perfect answer to the rumours. At the end of the day, this is a WWDC - a developer/software conference - so even if no new hardware is announced today, we can't really complain!

arctic
And please make them shiny pink! That would be as useful as having retina :rolleyes:

Best post of the thread so far. :D

necromorph
Is anybody else disappointed with the mac book and mac book pro's specs? I hope they do a better job on the iMacs :(

QCassidy352
Go from an iPad 1/2 to 3 and tell me retina's too soon!

Different situation. The displays on Mac notebooks are already very crisp (13" mbp a little less so but still). And that retina on the iPad 3 required a battery that was amost twice as big, and it still gets worse battery life than the iPad 2. Not a worthwhile trade off on a laptop that already has a crisp looking screen. Give me battery life.

JesperA
Jun 11, 2012, 06:18 AM
Apple is not likely to use the E3 series. The other processor is the 46## series, which again Apple is not likely to use, never mind the fact that it costs $1219 each. Why would Apple choose to use the 46## series when it's designed for 4 CPU systems on a dual CPU configuration?

I think every one knows that a 12 core means 2 x 6 and 16 core means 2 x 8. You don't need to point this out.

I didnt talk about the likelihood, i just replied to everyone saying that no CPU:s with those specs existed. Intel have several CPU:s with those specs, so i have no idea why some people are saying that no CPU:s with those specs exists at all.

apolloa
Jun 11, 2012, 06:18 AM
I don't believe those 'rumoured' specs for 1 second. The ONLY way they can truly be real about the MB Pro is that the new 15" model will NOT be a Pro but will be an addition to the Air lineup, and I would also state it is not half as powerful as the MB Pro either.

I think it's best people stop reporting now as the rumoured facts are obviously plain wrong or seriously lacking. We will know for definite in a few hours :D

theSeb
Jun 11, 2012, 06:20 AM
I didnt talk about the likelihood, i just replied to everyone saying that no CPU:s with those specs existed. Intel have several CPU:s with those specs, so i have no idea why some people are saying that no CPU:s with those specs exists at all.

Fair enough. I should have been more explicit in my post, but I was trying to type very quickly to be on the first page. :D :p I have edited my original post and corrected it.

Swordylove
Why is iMac being neglected!? :(

samac92
My favourite is when they quote each other and then use whoever quoted their rumour to show that somebody has "backed-up" their original rumour.

This happened a couple of weeks ago and I just had to sketch it out

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/da_seb/benchmarks/rumourscycle.png

Yeah this always seems to happen, as with all Apple announcements there will be a large subset of people upset because of unrealistic expectations produced by these rumours.

just realised my names on the graph! oops partly to blame

theSeb
Jun 11, 2012, 06:22 AM
Yeah this always seems to happen, as with all Apple announcements there will be a large subset of people upset because of unrealistic expectations produced by these rumours.

You're the original unnamed source that's been outed. :D

apolloa
Why is iMac being neglected!? :(

How do you know it will be? These rumours are possibly so inaccurate now I wouldn't trust them at all until Tim Cook states they are fact.

Mr-Stabby
My take on the Mac Pro specs: Somewhere in Apple, the suspected leak who was fed some nonsense specs (just to see if they got out), is being carried to the door.

"Double-down on secrecy", remember. Not that tracking all the rumours isn't fun, of course... :)

That would make a lot of sense! It would certainly explain these specs!

DrFu79
Jun 11, 2012, 06:26 AM
Seriously: What big advantages are there for the EVERYDAY PRO USER in a Mac Pro?

Think about it.

I used Apple Towers (first in DTP) since there were available, even before with the Mac II which had like 8 expansion slots if i recall correctly.

1) Better Processing Power? Yes. But at the price that you don't upgrade that fast, and that the initial purchase Price for more power is pretty high. Maybe it's better to upgrade a cheaper machine more often, like a Top-of-the-Line iMac. I Don't like the idea of changing the display with it, but from a financial perspective it could make sense overall.

2) More Space for HDDs? Yes, but not really relevant. Take a external RAID, if you need performance, a thunderbolt RAID.

3) A lot of RAM? Yes, but there are not many cases where more than 8 Gigabyte is needed. At least the market is so small that Apple could seriously think of exiting, like they did with a lot of Products. So don't keep your hopes up on this one.

4) More GPU Power? This one keeps me thinking a lot. The GPU offerings for the Mac Pro have never been that great, so i think it's the same as in 1). And i just don't want to hack a PC GPU.

5) Specialized Hardware Cards: If you need a highly specialized Card, then you need a Mac Pro. At least for now.

Lets wait and see if there will be an external Solution over Thunderbolt (like a Housing for External Cards). This could be the death blow for a Mac Pro, because the Market for it will be very small.

I'm on your side, Pros. I'm one of you. But think about all these options and then ask yourself: If you would be Apple, would you keep the Mac Pro in the lineup?

I don't know. Just asking a question.

And Meanwhile, the Macintosh II i worked on (who cost over 20.000 Deutsche Mark back in the 80s when it was bought) has never been upgraded besides the HDD.

LachlanH
Jun 11, 2012, 06:28 AM
5770? if that indeed ends up being the graphics card that ships with the 2012 Mac Pro then.............wow.

It must be a typo or mis-information.

I am also still finding this '3rd' Macbook line thing hard to comprehend. I just don't see where it even fits in. It is a better air but a lesser pro? A better pro? (Macbook Pro PRO), a Macbook Retina?

Just seems...hard to believe.

leman
Jun 11, 2012, 06:28 AM

You are to blame for all this mess :(

iSayuSay
Jun 11, 2012, 06:29 AM
What kind of MacPro spec was that? If that's somehow pan out (which I doubt) then It's almost just as good as be dead.

Mr-Stabby
Jun 11, 2012, 06:30 AM
1) Better Processing Power? Yes. But at the price that you don't upgrade that fast, and that the initial purchase Price for more power is pretty high. Maybe it's better to upgrade a cheaper machine more often.

It's not so much getting more power for your money over time, it's having more power at your fingertips there and then. A Quad Core iMac with a decent mobile graphics card is fast at converting footage and rendering graphics, but a 12 Core Mac Pro with a high spec GPU is infinitely faster. And with Pros, time is money.

guuguus
Jun 11, 2012, 06:34 AM
5770 ???
That would be the lamest thing to announce...
I can't even think how disgusted the spectators would be while hearing this crap...
For a computer at this price range, it's just ridiculous/outrageous.

I hope it's complete BS.

Umbongo
Jun 11, 2012, 06:34 AM
What kind of MacPro spec was that? If that's somehow pan out (which I doubt) then It's almost just as good as be dead.

Made up, that's what it is.

JasonH42
Jun 11, 2012, 06:35 AM
Different situation. The displays on Mac notebooks are already very crisp (13" mbp a little less so but still). And that retina on the iPad 3 required a battery that was amost twice as big, and it still gets worse battery life than the iPad 2. Not a worthwhile trade off on a laptop that already has a crisp looking screen. Give me battery life.

Colour me spoiled, but the hidpi screens on my smartphone and ipad 3 make the 1440x900 MBP screen look anything but crisp now. I'd accept worse battery life in return for a retina display.

kfscoll
Jun 11, 2012, 06:36 AM

The only problem with using that processor is that it uses dual-channel memory...so there's literally no way to configure it with 6GB of RAM, since neither 1.5GB (x4) or 3GB (x2) memory combos exist.

Also, if E3 Xeons were used in the base configuration, then there'd be no possibility of a six-core BTO model without also swapping the motherboard and going to an E5-based solution. I can't imagine that Apple would even bother offering a Mac Pro with such low specs -- you'd be better off buying an iMac. Besides, the last-gen base model was available with a BTO 6-core chip, so this would be a major step backwards.

omenatarhuri
Jun 11, 2012, 06:37 AM
It's not so much getting more power for your money over time, it's having more power at your fingertips there and then. A Quad Core iMac with a decent mobile graphics card is fast at converting footage and rendering graphics, but a 12 Core Mac Pro with a high spec GPU is infinitely faster. And with Pros, time is money.
This.

I think people sometimes miscomprehend the cost that comes with a delay of product launch. It can run at tens or hundreds of thousands a day, with big products millions.

The price difference of iMac vs. Mac Pro is peanuts in the big picture.

daneoni
Jun 11, 2012, 06:38 AM
The Mac Pro specs are made up by someone clearly clueless about the entire line. The MacBook Pro specs are pure guestimates. Take these with a humongous grain of salt

*fetches a salt shaker*

Liquinn
Jun 11, 2012, 06:38 AM
Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter?

Will this mean I can connect a Thunderbolt Display to a Powermac G5 via the cable?

theSeb
Jun 11, 2012, 06:39 AM
The only problem with using that processor is that it uses dual-channel memory...so there's literally no way to configure it with 6GB of RAM, since neither 1.5GB (x4) or 3GB (x2) memory combos exist.

Damn good point. 20 silver shekels to this man!

----------

Will this mean I can connect a Thunderbolt Display to a Powermac G5 via the cable?

No, it means that you can connect your Mac computer to an Ethernet network without an Ethernet port. Connecting a G5 to the TBD via Ethernet would not achieve much.

borisiii
Jun 11, 2012, 06:39 AM
I'm sceptical of the MBP specs - I don't think there would ever be a 15" with 4GB stock RAM when there is a cheaper 13" with 8GB standard. Because of that, and the Mac Pro oddities (processors, 5770s) I call BS on this entire source.

rovex
Jun 11, 2012, 06:40 AM

That's why the use of effecient displays make sense, those IGZO screens said to use 10% of what current LCD's consume is the underlying reason as to why the introduction of high resolution panels is a realistic prospect.

Digital Skunk
I would definitely consider the Mac Pro dead if it came out with the same GPU it had almost 2 1/2 years ago.

Glad this is just a rumor.

DrFu79

I absolutely agree!
But now think if you could but a lot of the workload on an external GPU, connected with Thunderbolt 2.0. Maybe that changes the equation for some people. There are a LOT of Applications who can utilize a powerful GPU.

I'm not sure, what about rendering? Is the CPU still more important even if the Application is optimized for GPU use? Anyone? :confused:

leman
Jun 11, 2012, 06:41 AM

No, it means that you will be able to connect a Thunderbolt Display to a network router.

(On a more serious note, this is for MB Air without a dedicated ethernet port and similar machines).

theSeb
Jun 11, 2012, 06:41 AM
The Mac Pro specs are made up by someone clearly clueless about the entire line. The MacBook Pro specs are pure guestimates. Take these with a humongous grain of salt

*fetches a salt shaker*

The MBP CPU choices make sense and are in-line with what Apple has offered in the past, just shifted to use the appropriate, and similar, mobile CPUs from the Ivy Bridge family. No real surprises there.

foodog
Jun 11, 2012, 06:43 AM
I would definitely consider the Mac Pro dead if it came out with the same GPU it had almost 2 1/2 years ago.

Glad this is just a rumor.

Misinformation. Apple may be sending out all kinds of bogus information through different people to find the leaks.

Konrad
Jun 11, 2012, 06:43 AM
In this retina obsessed market it would be of little surprise for apple to ultimately insult and schlep the cute screen across the lineup without adding much of anything of significant value. In any case, it is fundamental not to spend your money on things you don't need, and to closely evaluate the worth prior to making any purchases.

mrxak
Jun 11, 2012, 06:44 AM
I'm on your side, Pros. I'm one of you. But think about all these options and then ask yourself: If you would be Apple, would you keep the Mac Pro in the lineup?

I don't know. Just asking a question.

If you were Apple, you'd keep the Mac Pro in the lineup, because it is profitable, and because there is no cannibalization of more profitable products because of the Mac Pro. If Apple stops selling the Mac Pro, people don't go and buy iMacs, miniMacs, or various mobile products. They go buy a Dell. That's not just throwing away money, that's handing money to your competitors.

Profit is profit, and you don't just decide not to take some in. The only reason you choose to do so is if there's large opportunity costs involved. Is the talent pool and resources used to put out new Mac Pros so large that they'd be better off working on the iPad 4? I doubt it. The Mac Pro uses mostly stock parts inside a case that hasn't changed for a very long time. There's basically no real design costs for the outside, and the inside is a pretty typical motherboard and various other components. It's not like an iPhone that needs each piece custom built. Would that little effort put into the Mac Pro make much difference over in the iPad division? I rather doubt it. There are diminishing returns when you put everyone on a single project.

Now, that's all just standard business sense, but Apple's in a somewhat unique position that gives them a slightly different outlook than most businesses. The thing is, Apple has fans. Fans that have been loyal since the beginning. You can't buy that, but you can lose it given enough mismanagement. A lot of Apple professionals aren't just using Apple products at work, they're using them for play, for personal use, at home. They tell their friends and family to buy Macs, iPhones, iPads, and iPods. It's not just a halo effect of iMac users buying iPhones, it's Mac Pro users getting other people to buy iMacs, MacBooks, and iPhones.

So, besides the standard business reasons for keeping the Mac Pro alive, there's additional incentive. If I can think this up, I'm sure the much smarter folks at Apple know it too. If the Mac Pro wasn't profitable, or if there was substantial market cannibalization, I'd be worried, but neither is the case.

Digital Skunk
Jun 11, 2012, 06:45 AM
I absolutely agree!
But now think if you could but a lot of the workload on an external GPU, connected with Thunderbolt 2.0. Maybe that changes the equation for some people. There are a LOT of Applications who can utilize a powerful GPU.

I'm not sure, what about rendering? Is the CPU still more important even if the Application is optimized? :confused:

Rendering is more a CPU intensive task that GPU unless the application is coded to take advantage of the GPU.

Personally, I think the nagging need for a big system like the Mac Pro will start to dwindle. Adobe CS6 was written with the mobile and iMac user and is no slouch in rendering, transcoding, etc. I am sure it CS6 screams on the Mac Pro, and other workstation class machines, but it's fast becoming an even smaller niche product.

Especially when houses have to upgrade their Mac Pros, and it takes almost 2 years to be released.

DrFu79
Jun 11, 2012, 06:48 AM
Adobe CS6 was written with the mobile and iMac user and is no slouch in rendering, transcoding, etc..

Isn't CS6 specifically optimized for nVidia GPUs? That's whats get me excited about the 650M. a LOT of Pro Users will have a faster Workflow.

mabaker
Jun 11, 2012, 06:52 AM
Apple is about consistency. Hence there's no way they wil be introducing new+old. It'll be new ALL THE WAY or nothing at all.

Love how even a couple of hours before the official announcement some sites get all rallied up for clicks.

kromekat
Jun 11, 2012, 06:55 AM
That would be no laughing matter.

Oh I know but I couldn't resist it !

Digital Skunk
Jun 11, 2012, 06:56 AM
Isn't CS6 specifically optimized for nVidia GPUs? That's whats get me excited about the 650M. a LOT of Pro Users will have a faster Workflow.

Yes, on the GPU side of things. Watching their vids online fills your ears with out just about everything is optimized for single screen, mobile workflows and the like.

theSeb
Jun 11, 2012, 06:57 AM

I believe it's been rewritten to also utilise OpenCL, therefore AMD users are not completely left out in the dark.

DrFu79
Jun 11, 2012, 06:58 AM
When i bought my last MBP 17" in 2006 (the one i'm using right now), the landscape in Advertising Agencies & Broadcasting was filled with Mac Pros.

Now i get the feeling that most of them have been replaced my iMacs. Of course, not all of them, but MOST of them.

When i buy my next MBP in the next weeks and that one will be at the end of its Lifecycle, i think the computing landscape will be very different again. But the trend speaks against the Mac Pro.

Of course, there will be always Trucks and Cars. But will Apple still be in the Truck business? I feel they are going the Bicycle Route ...

MR.BUTTON
Jun 11, 2012, 07:01 AM
Hope this wasn't true. I really expect the 17-inch model refresh

mirko.meschini
Jun 11, 2012, 07:03 AM
-5 hours!

Digital Skunk
Jun 11, 2012, 07:04 AM
When i bought my last MBP 17" in 2006 (the one i'm using right now), the landscape in Advertising Agencies & Broadcasting was filled with Mac Pros.

Now i get the feeling that most of them have been replaced my iMacs. Of course, not all of them, but MOST of them.

When i buy my next MBP in the next weeks and it will be at the end of its Lifecycle, i think the computing landscape will be very different again. But the trend speaks against the Mac Pro.

Of course, there will be always Trucks and Cars. But will Apple still be in the Truck business? I feel they are going the Bicycle Route.

This is a trend that's been happening almost across industries. I am in education, and most of the universities near me have already made the switch, or never went the Mac Pro route.

I am about to replace many of our 6 year old 8 core Mac Pro systems with SSD equipped maxed out 21.5" iMacs. I used to be in broadcast news, and many of the editors I worked with have 27" iMacs on their desks. Then theres this guy (http://www.biscardicreative.com/blog/2012/04/using-imacs-to-replace-desktop-workstations-a-consideration/) who writes a very compelling argument in favor of a reduced Mac Pro back end to his post house.

As far as giving money to competitors, Apple pretty much signed that into tradition with the axing of the Xserve, Xserve RAID, Final Cut Studio 4 (that never came), glossy displays, etc. etc. etc.

ppdix
Jun 11, 2012, 07:05 AM
Apple tweaks the iMac and Mac book designs every year and they havent changed the Mac
Pro since 2003... Thats's 9 years...
Since it was called Power Mac G5.
BS!

DrFu79
Jun 11, 2012, 07:08 AM
As far as giving money to competitors, Apple pretty much signed that into tradition with the axing of the Xserve, Xserve RAID, Final Cut Studio 4 (that never came), glossy displays, etc. etc. etc.

This.

I think it's just a question of time. Apple already gave notice (i think it was in part a clever marketing move) with the long wait for a refresh. I'm expecting a last update, lets hope for all who depend on the unit that it's a decent one.

pjstasyna
Jun 11, 2012, 07:10 AM

In the Sandy Bridge Xeon line-up you can get a 2.4 8 core (E5-2665) , which is ridiculously expensive, thus it would be a 16 core model (2x8) or you can get a 2.3 6 core. The 2.3 6 core (E5-2630) is less than half the price of the 2.4 8 core.

THere is a 200$~ quad core Xeon with hyperthreading (i.e. 4 cores, 8T) out since last september or so. I agree, 5770 is completely useless unless you're going to do CLI or make bitcoins, even then, its underpowered (in 2012) and eats up PSU like mad. But really, if you're buying a pre-configured pc for 3000$ from Apple's own website, chances are you don't need anything more than integrated anyways...

People like you irritate me with your ALL-knowing, then pretend its 'complicated' AFTER you go on a 300 word rant.

ppdix
Jun 11, 2012, 07:11 AM
Rumors Are interesting when they are a possibility.
Last minute rumors like these are useless and dumb. People wanna be the ones that
Nailed it so they can be credible in the future.
Come on! Just 4 hours to go. Who cares about rumors when u will See the real thing soon?

scarred
Jun 11, 2012, 07:13 AM
Can I make up stuff and post it as a rumour too?

Moonjumper
Jun 11, 2012, 07:14 AM

Because the developers have read the same rumours as the rest of us.

bushido
Jun 11, 2012, 07:15 AM
Mac book designs every year
BS!

the macbook pro design was last changed in 2008 ;)

theSeb
Jun 11, 2012, 07:18 AM
THere is a 200$~ quad core Xeon with hyperthreading (i.e. 4 cores, 8T) out since last september or so. I agree, 5770 is completely useless unless you're going to do CLI or make bitcoins, even then, its underpowered (in 2012) and eats up PSU like mad. But really, if you're buying a pre-configured pc for 3000$ from Apple's own website, chances are you don't need anything more than integrated anyways...

People like you irritate me with your ALL-knowing, then pretend its 'complicated' AFTER you go on a 300 word rant.

I've edited my post and I am not sure what has irritated you. The quad core 3.2 Xeon is an E3 CPU. The Sandy Bridge version was released last year in March / April. There is also an updated Ivy bridge version of this CPU released recently, as far as I remember.

The performance difference between this CPU and the CPU choices in the current single CPU Mac Pro line-up is not worth an upgrade. There is also no 6 core E3 available for BTO. The other problem is that the E3 has dual memory channels, therefore the 6 GB memory configuration mentioned does not make any sense.

I apologise for upsetting you.

conorm19147
Jun 11, 2012, 07:21 AM
Most of this appears fake to me, I don't think apple would use a NON-EXISTENT processor in their Mac Pros and such a big gap between the two MBP processors with the same size screen

salmon
Jun 11, 2012, 07:21 AM
Yeah, this looks crappy. I was thinking they'll build a hybrid SSD/HDD system into the MBPs, bump the specs and get rid of the optical (as a default, anyway) while they do it.

I don't think that's a lot to expect, but maybe it is...

scarred
Jun 11, 2012, 07:22 AM
So... since this article is worthless, can we change the subject? =)

Which live blog are you all going to be watching? I haven't decided yet! Thinking of giving the verge a chance...

jclardy
Jun 11, 2012, 07:26 AM
I really hope this is a last minute misdirection. Or something to determine where the leaks are occurring. Would make sense, using incorrect part numbers...

olowott
Jun 11, 2012, 07:28 AM
Oi! if u gonna provide a bloody rumour, atleast make it futuristic and believable - thats why its called a rumour, what the hell is up with the mac pros specs :eek:

rumours with 50% accuracy is acceptable, just because you want traffic , dont go wasting our energy and cool! on on rumours that dont even make sense.

Now back to the main event - few more hours and we should be all smiling:) and happy:D - atleast most of us:p

Moonjumper
Jun 11, 2012, 07:28 AM
Can I make up stuff and post it as a rumour too?

Yes, but the chances of been listened to are based on how often you post rumours and how accurate you are.

Some people who post a lot of rumours are about as accurate as a broken clock (wrong most of the time, but right twice a day). Unfortunately all too often only the correct predictions are taken into account.

I think all rumours should have a rating attached, much like each user is (e.g. macrumors 6502a), but instead of number of posts, it should be accuracy and history based.

Examples:
New source, but reasons to believe.
Talks a lot, occasionally accurate.
Trusted source.
We wish.

auero
Jun 11, 2012, 07:30 AM
Heres to hoping theres still a chance for the 17" Macbook Pro. It would be nice to see Apple include 8GB of memory now in its high end machines.

jontech
Jun 11, 2012, 07:30 AM
So... since this article is worthless, can we change the subject? =)

Which live blog are you all going to be watching? I haven't decided yet! Thinking of giving the verge a chance...

Ars technica

Also Engadget seem stable ;)

CplBadboy
Jun 11, 2012, 07:36 AM
Would like to se a tweaked Mac Pro case but i think the general consensus is that its an industry standard form factor that a lot of manufacturers strive to better. I think there is going to be a lot of pleased Pros out there when this thing is unveiled. Lets hoping it satisfies the appetite of the salivating professionals out there!

Lancer
Jun 11, 2012, 07:37 AM
Going to bed now (AU) to get a good nights sleep and wake up in the morning to see what Santa, I mean Apple has for us in the morning... no more rumors for me!

MacinDoc
Jun 11, 2012, 07:39 AM
If this is true regarding Mac Pros, the update will be somewhere between embarrassing and pointless. I can't see why Apple would even bother with it.

i4Collin
Jun 11, 2012, 07:41 AM
Does anyone think that this third notebook that may be introduced will be the reintroduction of the MacBook? I'm kind of skeptical on the idea of a third notebook because I don't see where it would fit.

apolloa
Jun 11, 2012, 07:43 AM
Why are people STILL arguing about weather the Mac Pro is needed or not anymore? Of course it bloody is!

Apple can MORE then cover the costs of it, it give Mac users and lovers full workstation class performance, it saves the Pro time and therefore money.

The number of people in the forum on here are more then a testament to the need for the Pro machine with many stating they will amply self build a workstation or go Dell or HP if Apple don't update the machine.

And with the price level of the MacBook Pro, you could argue it is aimed at the high end consumer and Pro market too. I know many would argue otherwise, but I have seen Pro machines being used in several Wildlife documentaries and even see the Air and the Pro regularly sat on new readers desks too, not to mention iPads being used several times in various programmes, and these are high profile channels like BBC and SKY and Channel 4 etc, not cable TV.

So I would say Apple is making more visible penetration into the Media market then ever, updating it's top end machine is a logical thing to do.

crsh1976
Jun 11, 2012, 07:44 AM
Things that I'm holding my breath for (and I probably shouldn't)

- Discreet GPU on the 13-inch MBP;
- If not Retina, a much higher resolution on the 13 and 15-inch models (tho on the 13-inch, anything above 1280x800 would be spectacular, so I'm easy);
- Quadro/FireGL pro-grade video cards on the Pro towers; it's a workstation damnit, not a gaming box;
- The return of the 24-inch iMac - still mourning that one personally, I find the 27-inch model to be too big for a desktop display;
- Major industrial design overall, it's been too long and I feel Macs have looked the same for the past 10 years;
- iPad Mini/Wallet/whatever - a ~5-inch tablet (I'm just goofing off here).

lupado
Why do I get the sense there won't be an iMac update? I'm going to be pissed.

KnightWRX
The rumors are again this year, all over the place. Keep in mind people, Apple does simple things. Rumors that make it out to be complicated or too "option filled" are almost always wrong from what I've seen. What we're probably in for :

- iOS 6, OS X 10.8, some iCloud or other piece of software at WWDC keynote. No new hardware here, it's going to be a software event. They have scheduled 1h and 30 minutes for the keynote and have tons of software to preview.

- Tomorrow morning, we get the new Macs on the website. Ivy Bridge bumps accross the whole portable and consumer desktops line-up, maybe a surprise disappearance of the 17" MBP (it's oddly been missing from line-ups of rumors). Mac Pro will get the Sandy-Bridge E.

There is no retina stuff coming. The 3rd line of Macbooks is a lie. If you get your hopes up, you'll be here whining tomorrow that it didn't pan out. Get used to it right now.

There is no iPhone 6 announcement. The new "iPhone" is coming this fall again with the release of iOS 6. You won't get any official details about it. All the leaks mean nothing. If you get your hopes up, you'll be here whining for the next week that it didn't pan out. Get used to it right now.

There is no Apple TV set coming. I don't need to explain this one. Even the rumors are saying late this year or next year, but frankly, I find that Apple getting into the monitor side of the TV business to be ridicule. They reach a broader audience with a set-top box that works and adding an array of pixels to it that's Apple branded does nothing to help.

I hope this helps a few to understand what we're getting. There will be plenty of good stuff, but frankly, it's going to be impossible to live up to the hype, again.

mirko.meschini
Jun 11, 2012, 07:45 AM
Sandy Bridge-E processors have quad memory channel, so the 3-6-12GB is no-sense. They should use 4-8-16GB configurations.

Peace
Jun 11, 2012, 07:49 AM
Confusion reigns in the morning eh ?

Maybe Apple is going with the E5-1650 (http://ark.intel.com/products/64601) Xeon 6-Core released March 2012

Konrad
Jun 11, 2012, 07:49 AM
France is playing England at about the same time. Here, in Europe, the watching choice is a no brainer.

foodog
Jun 11, 2012, 07:51 AM

VERY fishy

theSeb
Jun 11, 2012, 07:51 AM
Confusion reigns in the morning eh ?

Maybe Apple is going with the E5-1650 (http://ark.intel.com/products/64601) Xeon 6-Core released March 2012

3.6 Quad 1620 as the entry level and the 3.2 Hex 1650 at the BTO would make the most sense.

mrxak
Jun 11, 2012, 07:52 AM

The Xserve was probably not profitable, considering the support and R&D costs for it. It also cannibalized desktop sales. Notice Apple still sells servers built in Mac Pro cases. Presumably putting resources towards both the Mac Pro and Xserve was less efficient, as well. Read what I read before about opportunity costs. The Xserve merged into the Mac Pro, it wasn't eliminated as a line for nothing. What could the Mac Pro merge into? Nothing at all. That's why the Mac Pro won't be ended.

apolloa
Jun 11, 2012, 07:53 AM
France is playing England at about the same time. Here, in Europe, the watching choice is a no brainer.

Yeah, it's more exciting to read the Apple keynote updates :D but maybe the boy's will put 'some' effort in, but as it's France I doubt it...

Still you can do both, watch the match and constantly update the Mac Rumors live blog :)

KPOM
Jun 11, 2012, 07:53 AM
The rumors are again this year, all over the place. Keep in mind people, Apple does simple things. Rumors that make it out to be complicated or too "option filled" are almost always wrong from what I've seen. What we're probably in for :

- iOS 6, OS X 10.8, some iCloud or other piece of software at WWDC keynote. No new hardware here, it's going to be a software event. They have scheduled 1h and 30 minutes for the keynote and have tons of software to preview.

- Tomorrow morning, we get the new Macs on the website. Ivy Bridge bumps accross the whole portable and consumer desktops line-up, maybe a surprise disappearance of the 17" MBP (it's oddly been missing from line-ups of rumors). Mac Pro will get the Sandy-Bridge E.

There is no retina stuff coming. The 3rd line of Macbooks is a lie. If you get your hopes up, you'll be here whining tomorrow that it didn't pan out. Get used to it right now.

There is no iPhone 6 announcement. The new "iPhone" is coming this fall again with the release of iOS 6. You won't get any official details about it. All the leaks mean nothing. If you get your hopes up, you'll be here whining for the next week that it didn't pan out. Get used to it right now.

There is no Apple TV set coming. I don't need to explain this one. Even the rumors are saying late this year or next year, but frankly, I find that Apple getting into the monitor side of the TV business to be ridicule. They reach a broader audience with a set-top box that works and adding an array of pixels to it that's Apple branded does nothing to help.

I hope this helps a few to understand what we're getting. There will be plenty of good stuff, but frankly, it's going to be impossible to live up to the hype, again.

I think this is mostly correct, however I do think we may get a 15" Air (even if it doesn't include a "Retina" display). Samsung and others already have 15" "Ultrabooks" and I also saw a Samsung ad yesterday for their 15" Series 9 that took a not-so-subtle shot at the MacBook Pro line. I'm sure Apple wants to compete in the 15" thin notebook space.

Announcing iOS 6 today likely means we'll get the new iPhone in late September - I agree with the reports that say that Apple would rather get the launch into Calendar Q3 rather than wait until Q4 like last year. It would add a few million iPhone sales to (hopefully) avoid last year's "earnings miss."

DrFu79
Jun 11, 2012, 07:55 AM

I agree so hard.

Macclone
I would find it funny if they don't announce or talk about hardware at all. Just ML and iOS 6. That would put the rUmor sites in their place.

mrxak
I think it's just a question of time. Apple already gave notice (i think it was in part a clever marketing move) with the long wait for a refresh. I'm expecting a last update, lets hope for all who depend on the unit that it's a decent one.

The long refresh time was Intel's doing, not Apple's. There were no new CPUs to put in there.

An i7 is not a workstation chip, no matter how many times people say it is.

It's not like anyone else was updating their workstations in that time, not really. Now that Intel finally got their act together, they are. Apple will too.

foodog
Jun 11, 2012, 07:56 AM
No, it means that you will be able to connect a Thunderbolt Display to a network router.

(On a more serious note, this is for MB Air without a dedicated ethernet port and similar machines).

I think it is so you can have a network adapter over Thunderbolt not the other way around.

KPOM
Jun 11, 2012, 07:57 AM

Apple, I presume. :D

Our sports weekend was a bust (there was even a WSJ article about it). No Triple Crown. No French Open winner (it came early this morning - on cable). No Stanley Cup winner (maybe tonight). Miami back in the NBA finals.

apolloa
Jun 11, 2012, 07:57 AM
I would find it funny if they don't announce or talk about hardware at all. Just ML and iOS 6. That would put the rUmor sites in their place.

No it won't, have you forgotten last year and Mac Rumors constant talk about a totally new design iPhone showing mock ups and even cases supposedly for the new design? And look what happened..

Bubba Satori
Jun 11, 2012, 07:58 AM

Yep.

And then you'll hear the obligato sheeple chorus of ' people don't want to buy it 'cause the desktop is dead so why should Apple do a great update'. :rolleyes:

foodog
Jun 11, 2012, 07:58 AM
The long refresh time was Intel's doing, not Apple's. There were no new CPUs to put in there.

It's not like anyone else was updating their workstations in that time, not really. Now that Intel finally got their act together, they are. Apple will too.

i7 is a fine chip to make home movies or modify the white balance on Mom's birthday party pictures. It suck major *** for pro apps.

SpyderBite
Jun 11, 2012, 08:00 AM

But, you would be expecting to hear about topics that the entire conference is designed around. That's just crazy talk! ;)

Bubba Satori

Yeah, it's always somebody else's fault for Apple epic foot draging. :rolleyes:

Was there a commandment on the stone tablets that forbade Apple from making an affordable, fast, good value, non-workstation tower? :mad:

xgman
9 to 5 has finally cracked under the pressure. They were actually close, but forgot the floppy disk drive in the new Mac Pro. :rolleyes:

bedifferent
Jun 11, 2012, 08:02 AM
i7 is a fine chip to make home movies or modify the white balance on Mom's birthday party pictures. It suck major *** for pro apps.

Agreed. My poor MacBook Pro could barely get through a simple SD project (rendering took forever), while my 12-Core Mac Pro cut through it like a hot knife through butter (and time=money for us). It's ironic they show a MacBook Pro running FCPX, 10.0.4 on a fully loaded MacBook Pro or iMac is nothing compared to the power needed from a Mac Pro. Notebooks may be good with Thunderbolt drive for on location shoots, but not for rendering and edits. Desktop form may change, but power and screen real estate are crucial components that are always needed.

"The desktop is dead," right. :rolleyes:

miniroll32
Jun 11, 2012, 08:02 AM
9 to 5 has finally cracked under the pressure. They were actually close, but forgot the floppy disk drive in the new Mac Pro. :rolleyes:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z272/miniroll32/Ballmer1.jpg

Bubba Satori
Jun 11, 2012, 08:03 AM

BS. Truly, unbelievable baloney. You can't be serious. :rolleyes:
I can build an $900 box that will cream the $2,500 base MAc Pro
in Pro apps. You have absolutely no credibility.

miniroll32
Jun 11, 2012, 08:03 AM
Apple, I presume. :D

Our sports weekend was a bust (there was even a WSJ article about it). No Triple Crown. No French Open winner (it came early this morning - on cable). No Stanley Cup winner (maybe tonight). Miami back in the NBA finals.

It really is crucifying... England's opening game is a must-watch, but then I can't bare to catch up on the Apple goss after its all happened! Arghhh

Bubba Satori
Jun 11, 2012, 08:04 AM
MacBook Air Pro?

'Pro' stickers are cheap and meaningless.

jonnysods
Jun 11, 2012, 08:05 AM
Please make this come true! Can't wait to see these!

urbanlung
Jun 11, 2012, 08:06 AM
I'm appalled! Based on this rumour and the fact that it doesnt meet any of my made up expectations I'm throwing away all my Apple gear immediately. Windows here I come, Microsoft never lets you down, they've said so.

Mr-Stabby
Jun 11, 2012, 08:08 AM

WTF Floppy Drive? Have you lost your marbles!!

100mb Zip Drive definitely :)

Blue Sun
Jun 11, 2012, 08:08 AM
Store is down, here we go!

Edit: it was down for only a moment, very strange... Also, the Mac Pro page isnt't loading up properly.

KnightWRX
Jun 11, 2012, 08:09 AM
I think this is mostly correct, however I do think we may get a 15" Air (even if it doesn't include a "Retina" display). Samsung and others already have 15" "Ultrabooks" and I also saw a Samsung ad yesterday for their 15" Series 9 that took a not-so-subtle shot at the MacBook Pro line. I'm sure Apple wants to compete in the 15" thin notebook space.

I wouldn't get my hopes up on that 15" Air. Apple has a long standing of tying screen sizes to prices/missions, and frankly, they've never been fond of the bigger than 13" in the consumer line-up.

While a 15" Air is a possibility, i'd put it down under the "surprise" tab. Remember all the other years and crazy model rumors that never panned out. Apple just doesn't follow the rest of the industry, and basing any kind of "hope" on industry goings is quite futile I've found.

Don't set yourself up for disapointment. Just hope the specs bumps are good and if something else crops up, then we can be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed it didn't.

ninethirty
For me, it's definitely a no brainer. Football. I'll catch up on the Apple news after the second half. It'll probably still be going on actually.

[Edit] No wait.. the game will be finished by then. Get to do both!

It really is crucifying... England's opening game is a must-watch, but then I can't bare to catch up on the Apple goss after its all happened! Arghhh

insovietrussia
17" is already Retina!

apolloa
'Pro' stickers are cheap and meaningless.

Are you trolling now? Seems like it..

Ve3tro
Jun 11, 2012, 08:11 AM
Other news. The Apple store has just gone down throughout most countries. :D

bleasy
Store is down now, here in Canada and U.S.

redmotion
I just can't believe you can't choose from more graphics options on a Mac. If I want to use a computer for CUDA based computing, what do I do? By a PC, I guess...

Seeing that the Mac has some of its roots in nEXT, it's ironic you can't do GPU-based scientific computing on it.

I know Apple are doing well out of simplifying everything (including the available product line) but why can't you opt to pick a different GPU?

mirko.meschini
Jun 11, 2012, 08:12 AM
Store down, in Italy.

Uplift
Jun 11, 2012, 08:12 AM

Yup, this is pretty much it.. if we are getting anything i'd go with Retina.. simply because this is the developer conference and this would be significant information for developers. Apart from that the focus is going to be on iOS6, ML and iCloud. I looked over last years keynote and hardware barely even got a mention so i don't see why it would get so much attention this year, according to the rumor mill the amount of announcements would take up over an hour alone.

We'll get the same updates we always have, processor and gpu bumps.

I hope we are wrong:D

applesith
Jun 11, 2012, 08:13 AM
All of these last minute rumors are making me CRAZY!! 10 am PST can't come soon enough!!

maviso5
Jun 11, 2012, 08:13 AM
Store down in the UK, here's hoping for some new MacbookPro's

Peace
Jun 11, 2012, 08:15 AM
Cut it with the store is down and get used to it. It's gonna stay down until about 11:45AM Cupertino time.

Bubba Satori
Jun 11, 2012, 08:15 AM

Yeah that would be cool, wouldn't it. :rolleyes:

twoodcc
Jun 11, 2012, 08:16 AM
not sure if those mac pro stats are accurate, but please give us a new mac pro today!

Tailpike1153
Jun 11, 2012, 08:16 AM

Well said. In recent years seeing rumors run into the ridiculous has gotten out of hand. Thank you for pulling us back into the boat. In defence of the "specs", if we in the Mac community would just drink more Kool-Aid and turn the reality distortion field to 11 this rumor stream is plausible.

To my brothers and sisters who go sucked in, what is the name of this site?
Mac...RUMORS. Nobody said the rumors would be 100% credible or believable. Nuff said.

TheMacBookPro
Jun 11, 2012, 08:18 AM

Yes, that would be absolutely hilarious :confused:

I guess your definition of 'funny' is different to everyone else's.

HowEver
Jun 11, 2012, 08:19 AM
If there's no new hardware---

nope. I don't even want to think about it.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 11, 2012, 08:19 AM
I know Apple are doing well out of simplifying everything (including the available product line) but why can't you opt to pick a different GPU?

When in the Jobs II era was this not true? Jobs started simplifying since the day he returned. But Apple has always kept a tight restrictions on what users can upgrade, outside of it's own CTO selections & without a hack.

It would also cause the stock to tank so you'll have to find something else to amuse yourself b/c new h/w is guaranteed.

inscrewtable
Jun 11, 2012, 08:20 AM
Maybe Applé has planted a double agent on the rumour team. Either that or Applé know that 9 to 5 have cracked their enigma code.

Tar Sniffer
Most Apple Stores around the world are now down.

http://istheapplestoredown.de/alarm

rmwebs
As someone else mentioned, we see these wild eye rumors around this time of year. While I know many would like to see Retina displays, I personally wouldnt be at all surprised if we see nothing for this. For one thing not ALL graphics are retina ready, and for another, Apple would be better spending their time improving the standard resolutions on the laptop line right now. Not to mention the fact that it zaps more battery, and requires more processing power. If we do see retina displays, dont count on it for the Air's as they would loose their long battery life and performance big time.

What do I think we'll see?

- A lackluster Mac Pro update (I so desperately want a complete refresh, but I think it'll just bee another speed bump) with possibly a new logic board to take newer processors and SSD as standard. Dont count on a redesign.

- Updates to the MacBook Pro line, again speed improvements, nothing too major design wise.

- Mountain Lion preview

- Possible iOS preview or a few features highlighted, along with a BETA for devs.

- Apple TV - I have a feeling we'll see some kind of release for developers to test custom apps with, maybe an Xcode update with an ATV simulator built in.

beowulf70
Store down in the UK, here's hoping for some new MacbookPro's

Bring. It. On. ;)

Cougarcat
Well said. In recent years seeing rumors run into the ridiculous has gotten out of hand. Thank you for pulling us back into the boat. In defence of the "specs", if we in the Mac community would just drink more Kool-Aid and turn the reality distortion field to 11 this rumor stream is plausible.

To my brothers and sisters who go sucked in, what is the name of this site?
Mac...RUMORS. Nobody said the rumors would be 100% credible or believable. Nuff said.

If there are no retina macs or AppleTV stuff, iOS 6 is going to be huge. There are a ton of undisclosed WWDC sessions this year.

mscice
Jun 11, 2012, 08:22 AM
cant wait for the news :) been waiting for this for about 6 months now ...

my 2008 MBP died 3 weeks ago :( logic board will be buying new one...

Rocketman
Jun 11, 2012, 08:23 AM
Several people have commented on why Apple might use an "older" graphics card. I see this card has two different memory style modes and Apple reportedly chose the more advanced of the two and will populate the laptops with its full 1gb of higher speed memory.

But why use a chipset a half or full generation old? I say they have been bitten several times with buggy graphics chips in the past. I suspect they are using the most debugged and tested graphics chipsets ever.

We'll see later, but I suspect that is an element of what's going on here and it would also be like Cook to take advantage of a mature production line but max out the device's capabilities by shifting from chip cost to memory cost.

If my ruminations turn out to be right I will be pretty happy with Apple management on graphics and displays for a change.

This is the same Apple Inc. that hasn't deprecated the iPhone 3GS yet! Has anyone even checked to see if they quietly updated and shrunk that chip like they actually did on iPad 2 and Apple TV?

Rocketman

mTofu
Online Store is closed. I guess it won't be long before we know for certain what the final specs are.

mrxak
Yeah, it's always somebody else's fault for Apple epic foot draging. :rolleyes:

Was there a commandment on the stone tablets that forbade Apple from making an affordable, fast, good value, non-workstation tower? :mad:

Nobody's arguing about the mythical xMac, here. We're talking about why the Mac Pro hasn't been updated in the last year. The Mac Pro is, and always will be, a workstation.

digitalhen
Jun 11, 2012, 08:25 AM

This is the most realistic thing I've read all day.

CJJflag
Jun 11, 2012, 08:27 AM
For what its worth, I just spoke to an Apple store in the UK and enquired about the macbook pro and they confirmed you will be able to buy the new one on the website later today.:)

Obviously wouldn't disclose any specs tho...

theSeb
Jun 11, 2012, 08:27 AM
Most Apple Stores around the world are now down.

http://istheapplestoredown.de/alarm

For those that are bored you can start refreshing the product pages around the time of the keynote

For example:
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
or
http://www.apple.com/macpro/

These often get updated just before the store comes back up.

Thunderhawks
Jun 11, 2012, 08:29 AM
hmm... not sure what to make out of this, I guess I'll just wait for the announcements.

At last a reasonable post:-)

Why do people get their panties in a twist hating on Apple, if they do this or if they do that etc.etc.

There is always a reason why they do what they do.

Unless we were to work on X product inside Apple we don't know anything.

Is it really so hard to wait?

macandiPhone
Jun 11, 2012, 08:30 AM
After waiting for long, finally if Apple decides to look into its Mac Pro, I am pretty happy with it.

Also built to order retina display is a good option.

Very eager to see what cooks up in WWDC........ fingers crossed ;)

theSeb
Is it really so hard to wait?

Yes, yes it is. It's just a symptom of our modern-day-quick-fix-2-minute-noodles-twitter-attention society.

Deako
Codswallop. Haha. As above, im just looking forward to keeping up with a live blog come 18:00 GMT.

QCassidy352
Colour me spoiled, but the hidpi screens on my smartphone and ipad 3 make the 1440x900 MBP screen look anything but crisp now. I'd accept worse battery life in return for a retina display.

Well to each his own. I don't see it as a big deal. In fact, I went back to my iPad 2 after about a week with the new one because I hated the hit to battery life. And an iPad 2 is a lot less crisp than a MBA. And we haven't even mentioned how more graphics power is required to get the same performance. It all just seems like a gimmick to me, not something that's really a worthwhile design choice, objectively speaking.

Jack25
Jun 11, 2012, 08:31 AM
Is there a major difference between 2.26GHZ Intel core Duo and 2.3GHz Quad Core Processor?

AlanFord
Jun 11, 2012, 08:32 AM
Apple store is down

It begins
Soon will see what will pump up out of the box :)

Peace
Is there a major difference between 2.26GHZ Intel core Duo and 2.3GHz Quad Core Processor?

Yes. Huge difference.

theSeb

Yes, it's massive depending on what you use the computer for. If it's just browsing the internet, then not so much.

You may find this post interesting:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1293809

KPOM
Jun 11, 2012, 08:34 AM
The Online store is officially offline! Just a few more hours and we'll all know what's for sale.

Cougarcat
For what its worth, I just spoke to an Apple store in the UK and enquired about the macbook pro and they confirmed you will be able to buy the new one on the website later today.:)

The person you talked to probably used MacRumors as their confirmation.

Jack25
Yes. Huge difference.

Yes, it's massive depending on what you use the computer for. If it's just browsing the internet, then not so much.

You may find this post interesting:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1293809

Thanks for the help guys. :)

myrtlebee
Jun 11, 2012, 08:35 AM
I had the Apple Store website up (I did not refresh)- about two minutes ago I opened the MacBook Pro page in a new tab and it says store down... did the same for Mac Pro and got store down.... the same for iMac and got store down...Mac Mini the normal page came up... MacBook Air the normal page came up- don't know what that means (probably nothing but a fluke), but curious nonetheless

KPOM
Jun 11, 2012, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't get my hopes up on that 15" Air. Apple has a long standing of tying screen sizes to prices/missions, and frankly, they've never been fond of the bigger than 13" in the consumer line-up.

I have an 11.6" MacBook Air (2011) and am not pining for a 15". If it's just a spec bump to Ivy Bridge and USB 3.0, I'll likely hold off until next year, but if they "surprise" with a 13" Retina Display option I will go for that. Asus is offering an 11.6" 1920x1028 display as an option, so it is certainly possible that Apple can boost the resolution without changing the chassis.

In any case, what seems more likely are some new accessories, like an updated Airport Express, and maybe a Time Capsule update to 802.11ac. My original Time Capsule is down to 95GB free, so if the notebook line is just spec-bumped, I may have some additional money for accessories.

darthpotato94
Jun 11, 2012, 08:40 AM
I really believe there are going to announce new macbooks with a new slimmer design; you only have to look at the competition to realize that.

waldobushman
Jun 11, 2012, 08:40 AM
Perhaps the costs and technology are not ready, but if not this year then next year, the low end MBPs need to disappear into the MBAs. Even at this time, I see no reason for Apple continuing to build a MBP 13". If the SSD virtual drive size is not enough, then an external Thunderbolt connected drive is the solution.

Xx CHUCKLEZ XX
Jun 11, 2012, 08:41 AM
I'm finding it astonishing the amount of leaks and specs that have arisen before this event, especially after Cook specifically mentioned they would be doubling down on security. Although it's good for us rumour lovers and Apple fanboys, i question the security and administration functioning of Apple since Steve passed away.

theSeb
Jun 11, 2012, 08:42 AM
I'm finding it astonishing the amount of leaks and specs that have arisen before this event, especially after Cook specifically mentioned they would be doubling down on security. Although it's good for us rumour lovers and Apple fanboys, i question the security and administration functioning of Apple since Steve passed away.

So you're saying that there weren't any leaks when Steve was around? My memory says otherwise.

Peace
Jun 11, 2012, 08:42 AM
I really believe Apple wants to put the MBA in the same category as the new "Ultrabooks" so the Retina display might just be a BTO on the MB Pro.

theSeb
Jun 11, 2012, 08:44 AM
I really believe Apple wants to put the MBA in the same category as the new "Ultrabooks" so the Retina display might just be a BTO on the MB Pro.

It already is in the same category. It's actually the computer that started this whole little buzz. Intel looked at the success of it and said, "Let's have more of this" and hence they've encouraged the PC makers to start making them as well. It's a win-win for Intel no matter whether you choose PC or Mac.

Cougarcat
Jun 11, 2012, 08:45 AM

What leaks? All we have are vague part numbers, links to very obvious betas, and blatantly false claims (this one.)

There were a lot worse leaks when Jobs was alive. Remember when Time leaked the new iMac?

Peace
Jun 11, 2012, 08:45 AM
It already is in the same category. It's actually the computer that started this whole little buzz. Intel looked at the success of it and said, "Let's have more of this" and hence they've encouraged the PC makers to start making them as well. It's a win-win for Intel no matter whether you choose PC or Mac.

I know it's just that everybody has been talking about this "slim" MB Pro.

The slimness stays with the Air not the Pro.

vikpt
Jun 11, 2012, 08:49 AM
Apple is about consistency. Hence there's no way they wil be introducing new+old. It'll be new ALL THE WAY or nothing at all.

Love how even a couple of hours before the official announcement some sites get all rallied up for clicks.
Totally agree with you!

SBlue1
Jun 11, 2012, 08:50 AM
Seems like Apple is looking for leaks? One, two, is this thing on? :D

boccabella
I have a feeling the Mac Pro is about to become the Mac Midi, or something like that.

theSeb
I know it's just that everybody has been talking about this "slim" MB Pro.

The slimness stays with the Air not the Pro.

The rumours are so convoluted, confused and contradictory that it's difficult to know what to believe any more.

I don't know if it's just a bunch of analysts and websites looking for web traffic and publicity or Apple doing this on purpose.

definitive
Jun 11, 2012, 08:52 AM
http://i.imgur.com/dzySv.png

Swordylove
Jun 11, 2012, 08:52 AM
I am also still finding this '3rd' Macbook line thing hard to comprehend. I just don't see where it even fits in. It is a better air but a lesser pro? A better pro? (Macbook Pro PRO), a Macbook Retina?

Just seems...hard to believe.

How is that hard to comprehend? Apple already had 3 lines of MacBook before. There were MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro (and I picked MacBook, which is what I'm still using right now).

urbanlung
Jun 11, 2012, 08:53 AM
Has anyone got any facts this all just rumour.

nick_elt
Jun 11, 2012, 08:54 AM

think you want to head to macfacts.com

Blu-Ray
Jun 11, 2012, 08:55 AM
Enough of these rumors... I'm ready for the real deal. Finally a countdown in minutes as opposed to days/weeks.

Peace

One fact we know about.

There's going to be about 5,000 people on this website posting really stupid stuff they know nothing about and in the end they will say FAIL !!!

;)

theSeb
think you want to head to macfacts.com

Agreed.

ctdonath

How about waiting a few hours?

Moonjumper

Some or all of the leaks could be false trails designed to identify where the leaks are coming from. It would also cast doubt on the real leaks.

MassTownie
Jun 11, 2012, 08:56 AM
...this is comical.:D

Moonjumper
Jun 11, 2012, 08:58 AM

Tim Cook has. And Jony Ive. And Phil Schiller. But they aren't saying anything until later today.

GizmoDVD
Jun 11, 2012, 08:58 AM
New Air info from 9to5mac:
MBA 11.6/1.7/4/64FLASH-USA MBA 11.6/1.7/4/128FLASH-USA MD845LL/A – MBAIR 11.6/2.0/8/256FLASH-USA

leman
Jun 11, 2012, 08:59 AM
I just can't believe you can't choose from more graphics options on a Mac. If I want to use a computer for CUDA based computing, what do I do? By a PC, I guess...

Seeing that the Mac has some of its roots in nEXT, it's ironic you can't do GPU-based scientific computing on it.

What stops you from doing scientific computing on the iMac? It was mostly Apple who created the OpenCL specification anyway.

And the reason why GPU options are limited are very simple: for many machines, the GPU cards are either soldered on-board (laptop) or are custom-made parts with custom firmware. Moreover, its Apple who writes most of the driver. Each option would increase the cost of the total package. Its not comparable to the PC world, where anyone can build a GPU and write a driver for it.

AlanFord
Jun 11, 2012, 09:00 AM
How is that hard to comprehend? Apple already had 3 lines of MacBook before. There were MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro (and I picked MacBook, which is what I'm still using right now).

This were three different line. New line in existing line is just hard to believe.
Retina if eventually would come, can be just a bto upgrade.
Thats why and I dont believe in this "3rd macbook line". If I can calculate, dont see the retina coming at all. It will be a normal pretty much minor update, in terms of cpu, gpu, and some additional parts.
Sorry folks for being party breaker :)

apolloa
Jun 11, 2012, 09:00 AM
What leaks? All we have are vague part numbers, links to very obvious betas, and blatantly false claims (this one.)

There were a lot worse leaks when Jobs was alive. Remember when Time leaked the new iMac?

I remember when 9to5 I think, leaked the advert for the new 3rd gen fatboy iPod nano, we all knew it was real as Apple issued a cease order to have the story removed. Those were the day's...

rhett7660
Jun 11, 2012, 09:01 AM

I for one hope they don't do a redesign of the MP. Now I do hope they at least give us 2012 processors and the like. :)

PeterJP
Jun 11, 2012, 09:05 AM

Hi,

That 8GB/256GB on the 11" sounds great. I would prefer the 1.7GHz i5 over the 2.0GHz i7, though, as I was reading the i7 got a bit hot sometimes, which is something I really want to avoid on laptops. Laptops starting hot give up after a few years.

Peter.

pimentoLoaf
Jun 11, 2012, 09:08 AM
I need a new 17". My old one is 9 years old. :eek:

Elucron
Jun 11, 2012, 09:10 AM
Also, if E3 Xeons were used in the base configuration, then there'd be no possibility of a six-core BTO model without also swapping the motherboard and going to an E5-based solution. I can't imagine that Apple would even bother offering a Mac Pro with such low specs -- you'd be better off buying an iMac. Besides, the last-gen base model was available with a BTO 6-core chip, so this would be a major step backwards.

I'd love to have the E3-1290V2 as a BTO option to maximize single-threaded performance. (Show me an iMac with an Ivy Bridge processor turbo-clocked at 4.1 GHz that also has an easily replaceable graphics card and extra internal bays.)

But yeah, seems unlikely that Apple would add Socket H2 boards to their lineup.

Navdakilla
Jun 11, 2012, 09:11 AM
If this is true, we are in for some very angry customers

ME INCLUDED!

Cougarcat
Jun 11, 2012, 09:11 AM

If 9to5Mac got that from the same source as this, I wouldn't trust it.

mrxak
Jun 11, 2012, 09:16 AM
Something to watch while we wait for something else to watch (http://allthingsd.com/20120611/apples-tim-cook-says-hello-the-full-d10-interview-video/).

mirko.meschini
Jun 11, 2012, 09:16 AM
predictable specs for the Airs, Ivy Bridge ULV processors, actual SSD and new so-dimm (last year was 4GB max, now 8GB).

theSeb
Jun 11, 2012, 09:19 AM
predictable specs for the Airs, Ivy Bridge ULV processors, actual SSD and new so-dimm (last year was 4GB max, now 8GB).

Nothing too surprising there. I am interested to know who is making the SSDs this time around and what model they are and whether the display resolution has been bumped up.