PDA

View Full Version : Full Video of Tim Cook's D10 Interview Now Available

MacRumors
Jun 11, 2012, 08:15 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/full-video-of-tim-cooks-d10-interview-now-available/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/mossberg_swisher_cook_d10.jpg

Just hours before Apple CEO Tim Cook is expected to take the stage to kick off the keynote at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference, AllThingsD has posted the full video (http://allthingsd.com/20120611/apples-tim-cook-says-hello-the-full-d10-interview-video/) of his interview at last month's D10 conference. MacRumors was on hand for the event to offer a rough transcript (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/29/liveblog-tim-cooks-interview-at-d10-conference/) of the interview and AllThingsD previously posted video highlights (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/30/video-highlights-of-tim-cooks-d10-interview/), but today's release includes the entire 100-minute interview complete with the Q&A session.Aside from a few short interviews and an investor conference, Cook's session with Walt Mossberg and me was the first extended public talk as the newish leader of perhaps the most important and definitely most influential company in tech.

So, getting to see Cook in action is probably the most important part of this interview. While clearly playing it close to the vest, he ranged over a wide number of topics from secrecy at Apple (it's now apparently been doubled!) to the iPhone to controversies in China to a possibly more social partnership with Facebook more television efforts to, of course, the legacy Apple's co-founder Steve Jobs, who died last year.
Steve Jobs was a regular participant at the annual D conference, and Cook has carried on that tradition by serving as the opening session interview at this year's event.

(Photo by Asa Mathat | All Things Digital)

Article Link: Full Video of Tim Cook's D10 Interview Now Available (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/full-video-of-tim-cooks-d10-interview-now-available/)

AlexanderTT
Jun 11, 2012, 08:16 AM
3 hours to go, excitement building!

ECUpirate44
Jun 11, 2012, 08:17 AM
About time!

kirky29
Jun 11, 2012, 08:17 AM
Ahh something to watch whilst waiting for the keynote later! Excellent :)

RodThePlod
Jun 11, 2012, 08:18 AM
Great!

What a fantastic way to pass the time while we wait for the Keynote :D

EDIT: Aww - Kirky29 beat me to it :o

RTP.

GBrooks
Jun 11, 2012, 08:19 AM
Finally! But, is there any way to view it full screen?!?

LimeiBook86
Jun 11, 2012, 08:22 AM
Excellent, I'm glad they made the full video available. :)

Howardchief
can't watch this at work :(

But I'll be tuned in for MacRumors play by play!

Tim looks great in the thumbnail preview!

Porco
Now it's really AllThingsD instead of SomeThingsD. :)

Tea-Aholic
Jun 11, 2012, 08:26 AM
I like Tim Cook. He speaks clearly and professionally like any CEO is supposed to, unlike that crazy Steve Ballmer who yells and goes wild on stage.

appleguy123
Jun 11, 2012, 08:27 AM
I was wondering what I would do while waiting for WWDC.

kirky29
Jun 11, 2012, 08:34 AM

Don't know! I've just had to zoom the page in!

GBrooks
Jun 11, 2012, 08:34 AM
I like Tim Cook. He speaks clearly and professionally like any CEO is supposed to, unlike that crazy Steve Ballmer who yells and goes wild on stage.

You mean this isn't awesome?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc

neversink
Jun 11, 2012, 08:35 AM
"Aside from a few short interviews and an investor conference, Cook’s session with Walt Mossberg and me was the first extended public talk as the newish leader....."

What is a "newish" leader? Nu?

Come on... Let's get real. How can I take the interview seriously with a comment like that. "Newish Leader!!!!!" What a joke. And I am supposed to respect the interviewer....

DrFu79

On a retina Display this video (on native resolution) would be the size of a post stamp :D

macandiPhone
This is g8 way for Apple fanatics to roll on their couches and watch this exclusive video while eagerly waiting for WWDC.

Happy to see they made the video available......:cool:

Peace
Jun 11, 2012, 08:36 AM
Does the Q&A part include the question from MR ?

Dissonance
Jun 11, 2012, 08:40 AM
The only thing more painful than watching the highlights is watching the whole thing.

kjs862
Jun 11, 2012, 08:41 AM
He looks like he has aged a lot since filling the role as CEO. Also, he doesn't seem genuine, I get the feeling he's acting enthused.

efktd
Jun 11, 2012, 08:43 AM
thanks for the material to occupy my time before the big event.

Jessica Lares
Jun 11, 2012, 08:43 AM
I hope they put this out in the podcast format. :D

Peace
Jun 11, 2012, 08:44 AM
He looks like he has aged a lot since filling the role as CEO. Also, he doesn't seem genuine, I get the feeling he's acting enthused.

He's a natural bean counter. I wouldn't put too much into it.

kjs862
Jun 11, 2012, 08:45 AM
I didn't watch the video clips, but from what I see, Tim Cook isn't a good interviewer.

Schizoid
Jun 11, 2012, 08:45 AM
Excellent, I'm glad they made the full video available. :)

yep, this one's gonna be riveting!

neversink
Jun 11, 2012, 08:47 AM

That's because he is the "newish leader" according to Kara Fischer, one of the interviewers....

Please, someone!!!! What is a "newish" leader....

840quadra
I didn't watch the video clips, but from what I see, Tim Cook isn't a good interviewer.

So you are posting your review on an interview you didn't even watch? :confused:

IMO, Overall he is no worse than most CEO interviews I have seen, just happens to be covering a topic I am more interested in than most CEOs .

appleguy123

Get an iPad? :D

Schizoid
Jun 11, 2012, 08:48 AM

he's a thoughtful interviewee...

As for interviewers, did you see the Jobs/Gates one, where the two interviewers just kept talking simultaneously... I think Steve ignored them if they blurted out stupid questions like, "YOU'VE GOT AN IPHONE?! ON YOU RIGHT NOW?!"

quite amusing to watch his expression...

GenesisST
Jun 11, 2012, 08:50 AM
That's because he is the "newish leader" according to Kara Fischer, one of the interviewers....

Please, someone!!!! What is a "newish" leader....

He comes from Nisrael, speaks Nebrew, etc... :D

Kaibelf
Jun 11, 2012, 08:50 AM
You know, for all the Steve Jobs this, and Scott Forstall that, I think Tim Cook's a fine selection to lead Apple. He really does seem to be one with the company, which sets my mind at ease a lot.

neversink
Jun 11, 2012, 08:54 AM
He comes from Nisrael, speaks Nebrew, etc... :D

That's pretty funny, as is your quote from Abraham Lincoln!!!!! Do you suppose he might also be a nebbish???

wrightc23
Jun 11, 2012, 09:06 AM

He's a CEO in the traditional sense and a very effective one. Don't underestimate how much of Apple's dominance is down to him. He plays a very straight bat as we say in the UK, he actually says very little and gives little away.

The issue for Apple is not one of competence or for that matter design leadership going forward but rather without Steve Jobs at the helm are they able to spot emerging technology markets and hit the market at the right time with the right product? That's just not a skill that you can learn.

neversink
Jun 11, 2012, 09:10 AM
The issue for Apple is not one of competence or for that matter design leadership going forward but rather without Steve Jobs at the helm are they able to spot emerging technology markets and hit the market at the right time with the right product? That's just not a skill that you can learn.

Not sure you can't learn that skill. In apple's early days, it appeared that no matter what product Apple put out, it was never the right timing or the right promotion. It took near bankruptcy for Apple to receiver from years and years of marketing failures. Steve Jobs must have learned these skills from his failures???

twoodcc
Jun 11, 2012, 09:11 AM
maybe i can watch this to pass the time before wwdc

Shrink
Jun 11, 2012, 09:12 AM
"Aside from a few short interviews and an investor conference, Cook’s session with Walt Mossberg and me was the first extended public talk as the newish leader....."

What is a "newish" leader? Nu?

Come on... Let's get real. How can I take the interview seriously with a comment like that. "Newish Leader!!!!!" What a joke. And I am supposed to respect the interviewer....

Funny, he doesn't look Newish...:p

Interviewee...

spacedesign911
Jun 11, 2012, 09:13 AM
great interview, the questions and answers are very interesting, he thinks on his feet very very well.

Frosticus
Jun 11, 2012, 09:15 AM
Great interview. Still watching it now. Tim is very interesting to listen to as a speaker - very thoughtful about what he says... and even more so about what he should not say! :P

Jun 11, 2012, 09:22 AM
The way they keep prodding him to reveal information about future products is so annoying. He agrees to give them this big sit down session and all they do is make him uncomfortable with dopey questions they know he cannot possibly answer.

boyd1955
Jun 11, 2012, 09:25 AM
I'm sorry but Cook gives me the creeps

appleguy123
Jun 11, 2012, 09:29 AM
I like what Tim says, I just hate his voice. I don't know if he can help it, but his constant use of vocal fry is incredibly grating.

840quadra
Jun 11, 2012, 09:32 AM
... Still watching.. But have a question.

How many still images do they need of Cook, or the two Interviewers? :confused:

Gotta be a fun edit session for that photographer :o .

Jobsian
Jun 11, 2012, 09:39 AM
Glad to see the full interview - and great to hear him taking a stronger stance than Jobs on philanthropic work as he strongly hinted (listen from around 16:00), citing the quote: "to whom much is given much is expected".

JesperA
Jun 11, 2012, 09:40 AM
Oh how i hate that female interviewer, always asking stupid questions, always interupting someone to ask something completely offtopic to what the interviewee is talking about, it looks like she lives in her own bubble not listening to the answers given and then completely drops the bomb on something completely irrelevant.

She behaves like this in every interview, in the interview with Steve Jobs he looked pretty irritated everytime she opened her mouth and just answered with single words or very short answers.

Is there anyone here that doesnt think there is a better replacement for her? Is she really needed, i think Walt would be better on his own ;)

appleguy123
Jun 11, 2012, 09:43 AM
Oh how i hate that female interviewer, always asking stupid questions, always interupting someone to ask something completely offtopic to what the interviewee is talking about, it looks like she lives in her own bubble not listening to the answers given and then completely drops the bomb on something completely irrelevant.

She behaves like this in every interview, in the interview with Steve Jobs he looked pretty irritated everytime she opened her mouth and just answered with single words or very short answers.

Is there anyone here that doesnt think there is a better replacement for her? Is she really needed, i think Walt would be better on his own ;)

+1 I don't know anyone who likes her. Kira is like a spoiled child "what are you releasing" over and over when she knows he won't answer.

Jobsian
Jun 11, 2012, 09:44 AM
Also, his performance impressed me. Anyone coming after Jobs was going to have a hard time facing the invariable comparison however he conveys a passionate intent to continue the ethos that took Apple to where they are.

I'm happier about Apple having watched this interview.

doctor-don
Jun 11, 2012, 09:54 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAfj3iSKLLk

----------

Also, his performance impressed me. Anyone coming after Jobs was going to have a hard time facing the invariable comparison however he conveys a passionate intent to continue the ethos that took Apple to where they are.

I'm happier about Apple having watched this interview.

Not bad for someone from Alabama and educated in the south. ;)

imageWIS
Jun 11, 2012, 10:00 AM
He's so boring... total snooze fest. At least Ive's would have been riveting and interesting. Cook is like listening to an accountant who could care less about design or style.

doctor-don
Jun 11, 2012, 10:00 AM
Not sure you can't learn that skill. In apple's early days, it appeared that no matter what product Apple put out, it was never the right timing or the right promotion. It took near bankruptcy for Apple to receiver from years and years of marketing failures. Steve Jobs must have learned these skills from his failures???

And so it has been with the majority of entrepreneurs who succeeded after starting out with little money or success. (Note that I am omitting those who have inherited because of their lineage.)

frank_t
Jun 11, 2012, 10:01 AM
For those of us that hate that we can't go full screen with video's from All Things D...

Here are links to the interview in .mp4 format.

320k Version (237.4MB) (http://m.wsj.net/video/20120611/052912atdcookfullwithqa/052912atdcookfullwithqa_320k.mp4)

1500k Version (1.03GB) (Best Size/Quality Ratio) (http://m.wsj.net/video/20120611/052912atdcookfullwithqa/052912atdcookfullwithqa_1500k.mp4)

1864k Version (1.3GB) (http://m.wsj.net/video/20120611/052912atdcookfullwithqa/052912atdcookfullwithqa_v2_ec1864k.mp4)

Enjoy! :D :apple:

SandboxGeneral
Jun 11, 2012, 10:13 AM
Does the Q&A part include the question from MR ?

I just finished watching it, and in case you didn't get an answer in all of this craziness today, yes, Jordan is on video asking Tim his question. It's almost at the very end of the video.

Peace
Jun 11, 2012, 10:15 AM
I just finished watching it, and in case you didn't get an answer in all of this craziness today, yes, Jordan is on video asking Tim his question. It's almost at the very end of the video.

Cool. Thanks. I don't suppose AllThingsD has come into the 21st century yet and made videos that are scrubbable.

SandboxGeneral
Jun 11, 2012, 10:18 AM
I don't suppose AllThingsD has come into the 21st century yet and made videos that are scrubbable.

Nope. No such luck. :mad::(

ncaissie
Jun 11, 2012, 10:26 AM
Can’t wait to watch this tonight. :D

kirky29
Jun 11, 2012, 10:26 AM
Good interview, I like Tim a lot.
Nice awkward moment toward the end though, with a Google guy asking about iAd! haha

gigapocket1
Jun 11, 2012, 10:41 AM
I have gotten to the point where I dont watch any videos that are in FLASH

kjs862
Jun 11, 2012, 10:49 AM
Tim has to be looking back and wished he didn't say "Oh, you mean iAd" when asked about Apple's involvement in adverting. He almost seems like he forgot iAd existed.

Jobsian
Jun 11, 2012, 11:07 AM
Guys listen to his anecdote of how he joined Apple at around the 1 hour 18 minute mark, he had no intention of doing so but within 5 minutes of meeting Jobs he was convinced and immediately resigned from Compaq, details in the video, fascinating!

Jobsian
Jun 11, 2012, 11:24 AM
Great question Jordan, also epic beard!

The guy from Google at the end - confrontational or what! (around the 1 hour 35 min mark). And Kara said that supposedly he was "charming Google"...I shudder to think what non-charming Google would have said!

dcorban
Jun 11, 2012, 11:57 AM
For those of us that hate that we can't go full screen with video's from All Things D...

320k Version (237.4MB) (http://m.wsj.net/video/20120611/052912atdcookfullwithqa/052912atdcookfullwithqa_320k.mp4)

1500k Version (1.03GB) (Best Size/Quality Ratio) (http://m.wsj.net/video/20120611/052912atdcookfullwithqa/052912atdcookfullwithqa_1500k.mp4)

1864k Version (1.3GB) (http://m.wsj.net/video/20120611/052912atdcookfullwithqa/052912atdcookfullwithqa_v2_ec1864k.mp4)

So, why the hell are they still forcing use of Flash Player on the desktop for this? We all know they have to convert the source to mp4 to use the Flash Player. It's like the company feels it has to justify whatever fees they pay Adobe by arbitrarily forcing Flash Player. Thanks for the links.

GBrooks
Jun 11, 2012, 02:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAfj3iSKLLk[COLOR="#808080"]

Thx Buddy!

Technarchy
Jun 19, 2012, 04:33 AM
Finally sat and watched the whole thing.

Tim Cook is very different than Jobs. He seems thoughtful, and chooses his words wisely.

It's pretty clear he learned well from Steve Jobs in terms of philosophy.

natekettles
Jun 24, 2012, 01:26 PM

She is absolutely ridiculous. Probably won't be able to watch the entire interview because of how bad she is.

SunshineFires
Jun 25, 2012, 07:04 AM

Thank you so much for this! :D

vpro
May 1, 2013, 02:23 AM
all of these people in the video are so full of themselves and so fake, talk about over acting - saying very little to nothing meaningful at all. garbage. just give me a new 17"MBP already - sheesh!

kick56
May 30, 2013, 05:39 PM
Cook has to be the the most boring talker (if you can call it that...). He has a lot of nothing to say basically...

xcodeaddict
May 30, 2013, 11:51 PM
Cook has to be the the most boring talker (if you can call it that...). He has a lot of nothing to say basically...

He's calm, considered and is revealing A LOT, without saying it. You've got to learn to pick up on body language and read between the lines. What do you want him to do - tap dance?

Tim is GREAT!