PDA

View Full Version : Was iOS 6 A Flop?

AppleBoyFreak
Jun 11, 2012, 01:30 PM
I personally thought this was a huge flop. The whole WWDC keynote was just disappointing. I feel as if iOS 6 should've just been iOS 5.2. So what's your opinion? You can vote or post below.

dukebound85
Jun 11, 2012, 01:32 PM
they are still unraveling ios6. how can you even make this statement yet? so far, it seems pretty impressive imo

NewAnger
Jun 11, 2012, 01:33 PM
I think with all the improvements that it may the best update ever.

macbook pro i5
Jun 11, 2012, 01:34 PM
I personally thought this was a huge flop. The whole WWDC keynote was just disappointing. I feel as if iOS 6 should've just been iOS 5.2. So what's your opinion? You can vote or post below.

I love the new phone features in iOS 6 its awesome!!!

AppleBoyFreak
Jun 11, 2012, 01:35 PM
They usually add the good stuff first and all these thing are little updates that SHOULD'VE been in iOS 5. There is literary nothing new to even keep up or compete with Android. As an Apple fanboy it is hard to say that but this has just sucked.

Stuipdboy1000
Jun 11, 2012, 01:36 PM
They haven't shown the home screen in a single slide yet. I think we could see something happening with that yet...

dejo
Jun 11, 2012, 01:39 PM
Poll needs more options. Like "iOS 6 is the greatest thing since sliced bread!" :D

AppleBoyFreak
Jun 11, 2012, 01:39 PM
Poll needs more options. Like "iOS 6 is the greatest thing since sliced bread!" :D

But it's not.

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 11, 2012, 01:40 PM
But it's not.

:facepalm:

AppleBoyFreak
Jun 11, 2012, 01:42 PM
I probably sound like a troll from the android forums, but I'm not. I've been with apple since the 3GS and I just expected more but because of that they didn't deliver to my expectations and I'm just feeling extremely sour. :(

dukebound85
Jun 11, 2012, 01:44 PM
I probably sound like a troll from the android forums, but I'm not. I've been with apple since the 3GS and I just expected more but because of that they didn't deliver to my expectations and I'm just feeling extremely sour. :(
yup..

and you realize they keep rolling more features out as you type right? not sure of the purpose of this thread

Tyler23
You made this thread before they even announced the new Maps. They announced smaller stuff first, and the announcements are getting bigger as it goes along.

You fail, and this thread should be locked. So far, iOS 6 seems pretty great, if only for the updated Maps alone.

dejo

And you wanted to sour everyone else with your poll options?

GaiaAero
Jun 11, 2012, 01:45 PM
Maps. HOLY *#*(#$(

WestonHarvey1
Jun 11, 2012, 01:49 PM
Per-account signatures for email! Finally!

iParis
Jun 11, 2012, 01:49 PM
I'm beyond amazed. These features may not benefit you, but Apple has found a way to update and add a handful of features that many, many users will enjoy and bring new people to iOS devices. Either way, it's more than I expected. I hate the people complaining about Facebook integration. It's like gay marriage or an abortion, don't like FB integration, don't turn it on or have a Facebook.

vastoholic
Jun 11, 2012, 01:50 PM
I thought iOS 6 was pretty cool and had some features that make a some of life's tasks very simple. I haven't seen the videos for maps but it looks like I'll be getting rid of Navigon whenever this update comes out.

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 11, 2012, 01:50 PM

More in terms of what?

What exact feature were you expecting/wanting?

AppleBoyFreak
Jun 11, 2012, 01:55 PM
Ugh, and now I'm beyond pissed. It's over and there was not a single cool thing. Most of it was novelties we will never use just like FaceTime. This should have been iOS 4. Honestly maps is cool, but in reality how slow and laggy is it going to make our phones. This was just the biggest disappointment apple ever came out with. If you think this was a good upgrade then please share your apple juice because mine isn't strong enough. And no Apps for the apple tv?! I mean that would've even made up for it. Ugh just so pissed.

----------

More in terms of what?

What exact feature were you expecting/wanting?

To be realistic a lighter ui would've done it, but I was hoping for widgets, possible live weather on the lock screen, and that was it.

bndoarn
Jun 11, 2012, 01:56 PM
Ugh, and now I'm beyond pissed. It's over and there was not a single cool thing. Most of it was novelties we will never use just like FaceTime. This should have been iOS 4. Honestly maps is cool, but in reality how slow and laggy is it going to make our phones. This was just the biggest disappointment apple ever came out with. If you think this was a good upgrade then please share your apple juice because mine isn't strong enough. And no Apps for the apple tv?! I mean that would've even made up for it. Ugh just so pissed.

You haven't even used iOS 6 yet. :confused:

NewAnger
Finally it looks like we are getting some things that we can actually use. In the past there were little things updated that I never cared about and to this day, I have never used FaceTime.

Can't wait till fall!

chris2k5
iOS 6 features are great. I was impressed. A lot of the small things add up.

outphase
Jun 11, 2012, 01:57 PM

----------

To be realistic a lighter ui would've done it, but I was hoping for widgets, possible live weather on the lock screen, and that was it.

Judging by your comments now, you would've said that was not enough even if that were the case.

ThisIsNotMe
iOS 6 features are great. I was impressed. A lot of the small things add up.

I think the Siri thing is going to be a big hit to Google mobile.
If they can keep integrating outside services then 90% of mobile users will never have a need to use a google service for information.

swordfish5736
the new features look nice. Just like previous iOS releases there are certain features that we won't see until this fall when the new iPhone and iOS 6 launch. So i'll reserve my judgement till then

gregrose
Jun 11, 2012, 01:58 PM
lol fanboys, so many things they could of added to make ios better & they continue to neglect...when will they add text from anywhere on the screen? a simple jailbreak app that is amazing, and apple still hasnt done it. as someone else said novelty is what they added.

AndyK
I was a little underwhelmed, it seems if you're not a Facebook / social network user this release isn't really for you (me). I guess we'll see more once people start downloading the beta and documenting the full changes.

I was hoping for information on a quicker way to "do things" such as to turn WiFi on and off, but as I said, time will tell.

urkel
I'm a bad iOS Typer and I get lost all the time. So yes, iOS 6 addresses my individual needs.

BUT...

No facelift on the OS is extremely disappointing. There's so much missing aesthetically and functionally that it doesn't feel like a 2012 OS.

CJM
Jun 11, 2012, 02:00 PM
Poll options are loaded. OP should delete thread.

chris2k5
Jun 11, 2012, 02:01 PM

And OP should be banned.

VulchR
Jun 11, 2012, 02:02 PM

----------

If you say so. Seemed pretty good to me - I could see the electronic pass/ticket capability really taking off. I doubt seriously that Maps will slow things down much ... on the new iPhone. ;)

By the way, I use FaceTime more than I use Skype.

AppleBoyFreak
Jun 11, 2012, 02:03 PM
Judging by your comments now, you would've said that was not enough even if that were the case.

Like I said, all I wanted was some kind of visual change. I mean the change from iOS 3 - iOS 4 was extremely exciting just because of the new background but here there weren't any changes. It's cool how far a little ui change can go. Like once I get iOS 6 in the fall I'll probably be "ok" just because of the new default background. It's just the small ui changes

----------

What does this mean?

JKK photography
Jun 11, 2012, 02:04 PM
How about I get back to you when it's released? Considering, you know, that nobody has access to it in a stable form yet? Eh?

isoft7
Jun 11, 2012, 02:04 PM
Beyond the new maps features, which look incredible... and I suppose the "Retina" macbook, everything else was disappointment city. In fact, I'm very disappointed.

I fully expected personalization options in iOS 6. It needs a much deeper makeover than what has been provided thus far.

It's a shame, to be honest.

URFloorMatt
Jun 11, 2012, 02:06 PM
This was the strongest WWDC presentation in several years. Focused on practical, useful features, and needed improvements to core functionality.

People who are constantly clamoring for a complete rewrite of the software and a brand new look to iOS just for the sake of change need to get over it. It will never happen. Apple is on a yearly update cycle. Things will always be incremental.

Your "major" rewrites comes with things like Siri, FaceTime, and the new Maps. Curious to see whether the new Maps offers walking directions and public transit options. My guess is it doesn't, and it will take some time to offer it (particularly public transit data). iOS 7 perhaps.

I'm also curious to see what new features are coming exclusive to the iPhone 5, as this seemed like a pretty comprehensive presentation.

Apple...
Jun 11, 2012, 02:07 PM
Are you nuts?

matttye
Hopefully there's some decent features in those "200 new features" that they haven't announced, because the gist of it was basically: -

1) Siri that can answer a few questions about sports, movies and restaurants. They only showed American support as usual; will it work for sports in other countries?

2) Facebook integration (still no decent sharing API for other services - they're all hardcoded). And the level of Facebook integration has been on other devices for years, it's not the "world's most advanced" at all.

3) New maps. This does look good, but again my other devices have had turn by turn for a long time. 3D maps.. I can't think of a use for that. It's a flashy, cool feature for sure, but doesn't really have a practical usage.

4) Passes. If this works in the UK it'll be pretty cool.

5) VIP contacts. Not sure what to think about this... pretty boring.

6) Do not disturb. Again, pretty boring, and the ability to slide upwards to send a message and decline the call. The reminder about calling back is actually a good idea.

7) Safari tabs sync with desktop. I expect this will only work with Safari on Windows.. which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

Colour me underwhelmed!

a13x4nd3r
still no ui redesign or at least themes??:(

the other features are great, but I'm not sure how will it work outside US, especially in Asia

GoCubsGo
Jun 11, 2012, 02:08 PM
I disagree, I think iOS 6 looks pretty big.
What do you want? Seriously.

sfwalter
Jun 11, 2012, 02:08 PM
Were you watching the same keynote I was? I thought iOS 6 is a great release especially with the maps and siri enhancements.

drew0020
Jun 11, 2012, 02:09 PM
I can post to facebook in 1 click, but it still takes 3 clicks to turn-off wifi and 4 for bluetooth. Glad its always 73 and sunny still too. iOS6 is appearing to be a major bust for me.

f00f
This is the first iOS beta in a long time I'm not trying out right out the gate & in the past I've been rather excited for betas. When they opened up with Siri knowing sports scores, I sighed and facepalmed. The maps app is great and long overdue (as is pull-to-refresh in mail), but when bloggers are mentioning features like "separate sigs for your email accounts" one gets the feeling this update is simply meh.

Here's to hoping it'll be far more impressive when it's launched in the fall.

bigsexyy81
I can't answer this until I see the list of all 200 changes/new features.

-Knight-
Aside from maybe having Siri on my iPad to mess around with while at home I could care less about the other features that I hardly or never use. Nothing major for myself.

Also, If the leaked photos are true on the iPhone 5 which I think is ugly I'm really thinking about getting an android phone and sticking with my iPad for iOS.

AppleBoyFreak
Jun 11, 2012, 02:11 PM
how come people who say they disliked it are getting thumbdowned so much? i mean take a break from the apple juice and look. The only new actual features was maps. the others werent even full features but rather just more bloatware. and stop saying jailbreak because obviously we dont want to.

bigsexyy81
Jun 11, 2012, 02:12 PM
There are probably HUNDREDS of threads talking about what people wanted in iOS 6.

GoCubsGo
Jun 11, 2012, 02:13 PM
Were you watching the same keynote I was? I thought iOS 6 is a great release especially with the maps and siri enhancements.
I doubt it. People have unrealistic expectations of OS releases. I think if they understood even a small part of OS development they would see it is a pretty big jump.

bndoarn
Like I said, all I wanted was some kind of visual change. I mean the change from iOS 3 - iOS 4 was extremely exciting just because of the new background but here there weren't any changes. It's cool how far a little ui change can go. Like once I get iOS 6 in the fall I'll probably be "ok" just because of the new default background. It's just the small ui changes

still no ui redesign or at least themes??:(

Major UI changes will probably not happen any time soon (not saying I wouldn't like a UI change, just trying to be practical). Look at screenshots from OS X 10.1 and 10.8

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/pics/gui/desktop/firstrun/macosx101.png http://skotgat.thecopypasteblog.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/about_mac.png

They are pretty much the same just with some refinements. I would imagine iOS will be the same way for a while.

outphase

I'd much rather functionality changes over UI.

What does this mean?

That means your choices are all negative because you wanted people to agree with you over having a discussion.

AppleBoyFreak
Jun 11, 2012, 02:14 PM

SO before iOS 6 so many people were complaining about siri being a nevelty and never really using it and now it gets sports, restraunt, and other updates and all of a sudden it becomse awesome and everyone will all of a sudden actually use it? no its just the apple juice and by december ill bet all these "novelty" features will wear off just like many others.

cinek
Jun 11, 2012, 02:16 PM
Nothing interesting. More like iOS 5.2. Can't see why this would be called 6 with hardly anything new. Looks like its time to look at other options as apple is falling behind and it's not innovative any more. More like trying to hurdle a bit further which isn't working out too well. I give the iPhone and iOS 2 years max unless they make some serious changes. Tons of features missing.

AppleBoyFreak
Jun 11, 2012, 02:16 PM
I'd much rather functionality changes over UI.

That means your choices are all negative because you wanted people to agree with you over having a discussion.

saying this is what i expected is not negative. what did you want as an option? one that read "Ios 6 is the **** and is better than getting a blow job from a unicorn?" i mean you have 1 bottom saying it was a bust, one saying it was medium, and one saying it was ok, and the last was just the whole wwdc.

JKK photography
Jun 11, 2012, 02:17 PM
SO before iOS 6 so many people were complaining about siri being a nevelty and never really using it and now it gets sports, restraunt, and other updates and all of a sudden it becomse awesome and everyone will all of a sudden actually use it? no its just the apple juice and by december ill bet all these "novelty" features will wear off just like many others.

Not if Apple can get it to work as reliably as it should.

It seems like your expectations were to high. That's not any of our fault, or Apple's. You wanted a complete visual rewrite of some kind, and that just isn't going to happen.

nfl46
Jun 11, 2012, 02:18 PM
It was exactly what I expected.

Cod3rror
Jun 11, 2012, 02:20 PM
Underwhelmed.

Maps was the only feature that interested me. Passbook is also decent, but there already is an app you can download for that.

Other than that, what else? Where are the live icons? Or third party widgets in the notification centre?

I don't like the facebook and twitter integration.

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 02:20 PM

Some decent advancements rather than stuff that has been on other phones for years.

Video calling over 3G.. been on other phones for years.
Do not disturb.. been on other phones for years.
Maps with turn by turn..been on other phones for years.
Facebook integration.. been on other phones for years.
Send message on call rejection..been on other phones for years.

What is NEW here? Come on Apple, innovate!

AppleBoyFreak
Jun 11, 2012, 02:25 PM
Like right quick, under appples website where it talks about ios 6 it shows facebook integration. in the phoo it shows an iphone with a picture. now (from looking at the screen) when you hit share instead of a list it shows the apps icon. its little ui changes like this that make me happy for a new ios6. why they didnt implememnt more i dont know

vastoholic
Jun 11, 2012, 02:25 PM
Honestly one of my favorite features inside maps was the find a gas station along your route. As far as I know I'm not currently able to do this on google maps (on my iPhone) or the Navigon app. I've always wanted this to try and plan out motorcycle trips.

Siri integration into maps was also nice. I like the iCloud documents addition.

Sedrick
Jun 11, 2012, 02:26 PM
Don't see a single thing here I'd lose my Jailbrake for. Nor anything that would require a taller iPhone.

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 02:26 PM
This poll sucks. Come vote on my better poll to get a real measure of how people felt about iOS6.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1383671

Carlanga
Jun 11, 2012, 02:27 PM
I think the better question should be Mountain Lion A Flop? YES

iOS6 shows good promise, it's a bigger update than iOS5 IMO and I was happy to see the improvements and actually I want it now :p

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 02:28 PM
Some decent advancements rather than stuff that has been on other phones for years.

In addition, I can't help but feel really disappointed because they called it "the world's most advanced mobile OS" in the WWDC banner, and then announced such an underwhelming update.

Maybe it's only underwhelming because I've been using devices that already have most of these features...

AppleBoyFreak
Jun 11, 2012, 02:31 PM
but at the same time at the bottom of the page it shows what the future home screen of the 4s will look like and it just has 2 extra apps of bloatware just like stocks and compass.

----------

This poll sucks. Come vote on my better poll to get a real measure of how people felt about iOS6.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1383671

hey umm. yeah GTFO if you dont like my poll :rolleyes:

nburwell
Jun 11, 2012, 02:31 PM
iOS 6 didn't introduce anything spectacular, but what really did you expect? I'm excited for the Maps update since I will probably ditch my TomTom app I use. But other than that, nothing really stands out. iOS 5 solved my main issues (notification center, iMessage), so I wasn't expecting iOS 6 to blow me out of the water.

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 02:33 PM
iOS 6 didn't introduce anything spectacular, but what really did you expect? I'm excited for the Maps update since I will probably ditch my TomTom app I use. But other than that, nothing really stands out. iOS 5 solved my main issues (notification center, iMessage), so I wasn't expecting iOS 6 to blow me out of the water.

Something that would improve the experience for me would be shortcuts to Bluetooth/WiFi/etc.. god knows it's been requested enough, but such a simple change is apparently beyond Apple.

DroidConvert
Jun 11, 2012, 02:40 PM
There is literary nothing new to even keep up or compete with Android. As an Apple fanboy it is hard to say that but this has just sucked.

I'm not sure what you are getting at when you say that it has to keep up with Android. Having lived with Android for 3 years, I think my new iPhone is breath of fresh air.

One could legitimately argue that perhaps Android tries to do to much and as a result, suffers for it. Battery life will plague Android for the forseeable future becasue of widgets and screen size. Not to mention that apps do not run natively in Android. The only way to make the batteries last longer is to make them bigger, and personally, I'm not a fan of that.

I constantly had to restart and perform battery pulls with my Android phones. I haven't had to worry about that since making the switch. WOuld I like widgets, sure. But not at the cost of a smooth running OS that just works when you need it.

nburwell
Jun 11, 2012, 02:58 PM
Something that would improve the experience for me would be shortcuts to Bluetooth/WiFi/etc.. god knows it's been requested enough, but such a simple change is apparently beyond Apple.

I certainly agree with you there. Shortcuts to Bluetooth and WiFi would have been welcomed.

The iPhone is still the only phone that suits my needs. Just because iOS 6 wasn't what everyone expected, I don't plan on jumping ship to Android, Windows phones anytime soon.

q64ceo
Jun 11, 2012, 03:00 PM
Well, it was just sorta released as a dev preview....give it time

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 03:04 PM
I certainly agree with you there. Shortcuts to Bluetooth and WiFi would have been welcomed.

The iPhone is still the only phone that suits my needs. Just because iOS 6 wasn't what everyone expected, I don't plan on jumping ship to Android, Windows phones anytime soon.

I'm sure iOS6 is a great update for iPhone users, but I have an Android phone that already has the vast majority of the announced features, and Google is about to announce their updated OS in just over two weeks time.

The biggest updated for iPad - Siri - is not going to work on my iPad 2.

Very underwhelming indeed.

Internaut
Jun 11, 2012, 03:06 PM
It looks like what I was expecting. I think people misunderestimate just how conservative Apple can be with its mobile UI. What they've got is still good in terms of what Apple delivering exactly what they claim to deliver. I agree with those who say it's more of a 5.2 than a 6.0 though.

DroidConvert
Jun 11, 2012, 03:11 PM
I'm sure iOS6 is a great update for iPhone users, but I have an Android phone that already has the vast majority of the announced features, and Google is about to announce their updated OS in just over two weeks time.

But most phones, and I do mean most phones, don't even have ICS yet. Why would they release Jelly Bean (or whatever) when a majority of phones don't have ICS yet?

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 03:17 PM
But most phones, and I do mean most phones, don't even have ICS yet. Why would they release Jelly Bean (or whatever) when a majority of phones don't have ICS yet?

It won't be released yet, they'll just talk about some of the features.. just like what Apple has just done.

Jordan921
Jun 11, 2012, 03:21 PM
You may consider it a flop but I think it'll be a nice update. Can't wait to get it!

DroidConvert
Jun 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
It won't be released yet, they'll just talk about some of the features.. just like what Apple has just done.

Still kinda odd that they would talk about the next OS when most Android owners don't even have ICS yet.

wesk702
Jun 11, 2012, 03:41 PM
They haven't shown the home screen in a single slide yet. I think we could see something happening with that yet...

Yes they did. During the demos.

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
Still kinda odd that they would talk about the next OS when most Android owners don't even have ICS yet.

Not really..things move on.

DroidConvert
Jun 11, 2012, 03:55 PM
Not really..things move on.

:rolleyes:

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 03:56 PM
:rolleyes:

It wouldn't make any sense for Google to halt progress on their os while everyone upgrades to the latest version... You're not making much sense. :confused:

DroidConvert
Jun 11, 2012, 03:59 PM
It wouldn't make any sense for Google to halt progress on their os while everyone upgrades to it.. You're not making much sense. :confused:

Oh, I'm making perfect sense. To show something that most Android phone owners won't get for a year or more is ridiculous.

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 04:05 PM
Oh, I'm making perfect sense. To show something that most Android phone owners won't get for a year or more is ridiculous.

I wish updates were rolled out faster too, but it'd be a bad idea not to announce the next version of Android at Google I/o.

chokem
Jun 11, 2012, 04:30 PM
I've got a buddy who's got a developers copy and is downloading as I type. I'll know more soon, but Im very satisfied at what was presented today.

Buschmaster
Jun 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
But it's not.
Who the hell pissed in your fruit loops this morning?

bigjobby
Jun 11, 2012, 05:00 PM
I would've been happy if they just gave us a date on the swipe down screen, but they gave us more than that.

Espionage32
Jun 11, 2012, 05:19 PM
I like the update. It's exactly what iOS needed. I have a ipad 2 and a galaxy s2.

I like my ipad 2 and I love my GS2. Waiting on this new iphone to come out. But I liked what I saw from apple as far as iOS. There could have been more features... but its Apple. So get use to it.

Hastings101
Jun 11, 2012, 05:19 PM
I'm not sure if it's a flop but I was personally disappointed with it. Hopefully more features are announced with the next iPhone.

irDigital0l
Jun 11, 2012, 05:40 PM
Some things they added I like and can use. Some things I do wish they added.

Overall it was just ok.

bigsexyy81
Jun 11, 2012, 06:40 PM

It's apparently taken six versions of iOS for me to force myself to come to grip with the reality: the iPhone will never be innovative. It will steal things from other mobile OSs that customers have shown interest in and make them spectacular for use on the iPhone, but 'thinking-outside-the-box' isn't even in play anymore.

Darthdingo
Jun 11, 2012, 07:40 PM
Is a massive failure on the biggest scale. Looks more like iOS5.5. Still has a home screen that looks like the app drawer was left open ? Lame. That was cool 5yrs ago maybe.

No Widgets, same icons from 2007,

Bring in the Nexus-Four

GIZBUG
Jun 11, 2012, 07:42 PM
ios 6 final isnt even out yet, so whats with this topic?
Fortune tellers in here?

KittyKatta
Jun 11, 2012, 08:15 PM
It's apparently taken six versions of iOS for me to force myself to come to grip with the reality: the iPhone will never be innovative. It will steal things from other mobile OSs that customers have shown interest in and make them spectacular for use on the iPhone, but 'thinking-outside-the-box' isn't even in play anymore.
It's funny because a few years ago anybody who DIDN'T call Apple innovative was flogged and called out for trolling. But now a lot of Apples biggest supporters are starting to get frustrated at these incremental .x updates while we can clearly see huge leaps in "innovation" happening in the competing OSs.

I'll probably never stop buying Apple products, but I definitely do wish they'd be trend setters again because I'm tired of hearing applause for features that already exist somewhere else.

mncmoore
Jun 11, 2012, 08:36 PM
Definitely not as HUGE as ios 5. But I can't wait for the maps, phone, and Siri on my iPad.

DroidConvert
Jun 11, 2012, 10:33 PM
I wish updates were rolled out faster too, but it'd be a bad idea not to announce the next version of Android at Google I/o.

Guess you're right. That way everyone can start saving up for the new phone they'll need to run it.

matttye
Jun 12, 2012, 12:47 AM
Guess you're right. That way everyone can start saving up for the new phone they'll need to run it.

You must have bought a low end Android phone when you had one, otherwise you'd know that the flagships always see at least one update.

Ulysses12
Jun 12, 2012, 12:49 AM
People are too greedy for new features. I think iOS6 will be a great new operating system. Here in the US, we enjoy most of Apple's new features right away, but bringing features like Siri to the rest of the world so they can enjoy it too is a major undertaking and one that should not be overlooked.

:apple:

taedouni
Jun 12, 2012, 01:46 AM
This year for Apple's devices I think the big focus is around the devices themselves instead of software updates. I mean come on this is the year of a new iPhone. iOS 6 has great new additions that will continue to make the iPhone and the iPad the top selling phone and tablet.

People are just being over critical of Apple. They also do not appreciate the hardwork that was done with their software and devices. Apple do not release flopped features. When they add a feature they will make sure that it meets their standards. They say that Siri is still in beta but it blows the competitor's version out of the water:

Have faith in Apple

DroidConvert
Jun 12, 2012, 07:11 AM
You must have bought a low end Android phone when you had one, otherwise you'd know that the flagships always see at least one update.

They weren't low end at the time. When I bought the Incredible it was THE flagship phone for both HTC and Verizon. The Razr was as well. I refused to buy the Galaxy Nexus because it's a Samsung.

So at least you have been pinned down as saying that you really need to get one of the flagship phones to get decent support into the future.

I'll be sure to refer to your post in the future when it's necessary.

Thanks for the help!

funkdoctor
Jun 12, 2012, 07:24 AM
They weren't low end at the time. When I bought the Incredible it was THE flagship phone for both HTC and Verizon. The Razr was as well. I refused to buy the Galaxy Nexus because it's a Samsung.

So at least you have been pinned down as saying that you really need to get one of the flagship phones to get decent support into the future.

I'll be sure to refer to your post in the future when it's necessary.

Thanks for the help!
The Incredible was never THE flagship phone for Verizon (I owned one and loved it, but it was not promoted very hard nor was it very popular). It also ran Sense not vanilla Android, so I knew that it was going to be hard to get updates when I bought it, but I liked Sense so I did it anyway. Also, doesn't the Razr run blur instead of vanilla Android? I haven't been in the android scene in a while so I wouldn't know.

Back on topic,iOS 6 should have been maybe a 5.5 update. The new MacBook pro's looked awesome, mountain lion was pretty cool but the iOS 6 portion was pretty lackluster.

Wicked1
Jun 12, 2012, 07:38 AM
Here come the higher data usage charges for things like Maps with directions and FT over 3G/4G/LTE,

Can not wait to see what the new billing layout will be like for the Big Three vendors, as Sprint longterm can not afford to support unlimited data.

DroidConvert
Jun 12, 2012, 07:44 AM
The Incredible was never THE flagship phone for Verizon (I owned one and loved it, but it was not promoted very hard nor was it very popular). It also ran Sense not vanilla Android, so I knew that it was going to be hard to get updates when I bought it, but I liked Sense so I did it anyway. Also, doesn't the Razr run blur instead of vanilla Android? I haven't been in the android scene in a while so I wouldn't know.

Back on topic,iOS 6 should have been maybe a 5.5 update. The new MacBook pro's looked awesome, mountain lion was pretty cool but the iOS 6 portion was pretty lackluster.

It was the first Droid to be on the "Droid Does" site and was the best Android phone that Verizon had at the time. It had commercials all over the place.

A phone doesn't have to be a Nexus to be a flagship phone for a carrier. After from the original Droid, Verizon didn't have another vanilla android phone until the Galaxy Nexus.

Since the Nexus line is the only phones that run vanilla Android (without rooting) are you saying that the only way to be assured of getting quick updates is to own a Nexus?

Samsung (non-Nexus) runs Touchwiz, HTC runs Sense and Motorola runs Blur. Since those are the main cell phone manufacturers in the U.S., it sounds like all will be slow to receive updates based on your post.

johndallas999
Jun 12, 2012, 07:45 AM
Their biggest feature is an updated map/navigation? Everything else was pretty much tweaks to existing stuff. That was a pretty lame update IMO. Hardly innovative. Jobs absence is starting to show.

funkdoctor
Jun 12, 2012, 08:03 AM
It was the first Droid to be on the "Droid Does" site and was the best Android phone that Verizon had at the time. It had commercials all over the place.

Samsung (non-Nexus) runs Touchwiz, HTC runs Sense and Motorola runs Blur. Since those are the main cell phone manufacturers in the U.S., it sounds like all will be slow to receive updates based on your post.

Listen, I'm not going to get into all this with you. The droid incredible was not a flagship, it was overshadowed by the Droid X (which had all the commercials). The droid incredible 2 was not popular either. I knew it wouldn't get updated when I bought it, I guess you didn't and that sucks. I don't have it anymore and don't care if it ever gets updated again.

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 08:33 AM
I think simply from a MAJOR revision standpoint, yes it was a huge flop.

I also think that adding a map application sans street view sucks. :(

But overall, I like it.

DroidConvert
Jun 12, 2012, 09:35 AM
Listen, I'm not going to get into all this with you. The droid incredible was not a flagship, it was overshadowed by the Droid X (which had all the commercials). The droid incredible 2 was not popular either. I knew it wouldn't get updated when I bought it, I guess you didn't and that sucks. I don't have it anymore and don't care if it ever gets updated again.

Listen??? Listen!!! No, you listen.

First of all the Incredible was released before the X. Second, the Incredible was the first real Droid by HTC (The Eris was a POS and weak) and pushed heavily by both HTC and Verizon for being the first phone with a 1 GHZ processor, 1 GB RAM and an 8 MP camera.

You may of lived in one of the few areas where the Incredible wasn't pushed, but I saw a TON of commercials for it.

I never bought the Droid Incredible 2, just the original because the 2 was underpowered and a second class phone when it was released. It was a shadow of the original and didn't even deserve the Incredible name. The original did get updated for a while but like all Androids beyond 18 months, suports pretty much goes away.

But like you, I could care less about the Incredible since I don't have it anymore.

r3dm4lcz
Jun 12, 2012, 09:37 AM
I thought it looked pretty awesome.

cjmillsnun
Jun 12, 2012, 09:54 AM
It's funny because a few years ago anybody who DIDN'T call Apple innovative was flogged and called out for trolling. But now a lot of Apples biggest supporters are starting to get frustrated at these incremental .x updates while we can clearly see huge leaps in "innovation" happening in the competing OSs.

I'll probably never stop buying Apple products, but I definitely do wish they'd be trend setters again because I'm tired of hearing applause for features that already exist somewhere else.

Huge leaps in the other OSs? Where??

The point is Mobile Phone OSs are mature. The big leaps (low hanging fruit) is gone.

jb1280
Jun 12, 2012, 10:06 AM
Given the fever-pitched animosity towards iOS 6 here, I'm guessing iOS 6 is going to be the most well-received iOS release to date.