PDA

View Full Version : Apple Announces Dictation, iCloud Tabs, and 'Power Nap' Features in OS X Mountain Lion, Available in July for $19.99

MacRumors
Jun 11, 2012, 01:57 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/apple-announces-dictation-icloud-tabs-and-power-nap-features-in-os-x-mountain-lion-available-in-july-for-19-99/)

At today's WWDC keynote event, Apple announced (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/06/11Mountain-Lion-Available-in-July-From-Mac-App-Store.html) a release timeframe and pricing for Mountain Lion, the next version of the Mac operating system which was previewed earlier this year. Executives also gave a preview of some new features including dictation, iCloud Tabs, and Power Nap. Mountain Lion will be released in July through the Mac App Store for $19.99 and all Macs purchased starting today can receive an upgrade for free.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/mountainlion560.jpg

The new dictation feature will be integrated throughout the operating system to allow dictation anywhere to enter text. Dictation was previously rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/23/os-x-mountain-lion-adding-offline-safari-reading-list-mode-and-dictation-to-mac/) in May when resource files in Safari listed keyboard shortcuts that pointed to dictation functions.

iCloud Tabs (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/16/apple-adds-icloud-safari-tab-syncing-to-os-x-mountain-lion-preview-2/), a new feature in Safari on the Mac, was also demonstrated. iCloud Tabs will show all tabs open in Safari on all other iOS devices and Macs logged in to the same iCloud account. Safari also gains a unified search and address bar to streamline its interface.

Power Nap is a new feature that will carry out functions while a Mac is charging and sleeping. New emails will be downloaded, Time Machine will automatically run, app updates will be applied and other actions will be carried out with Power Nap, which will be available on the new ultra-thin MacBook Pro that was announced today and second-generation and later MacBook Airs.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/200newfeatures.jpg

Apple first previewed Mountain Lion in February (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/16/apple-releases-first-developer-preview-of-os-x-mountain-lion-public-launch-in-late-summer/), highlighting many features already present in iOS, including Messages, Reminders, Notes, Notification Center, Game Center and more at that time.

Article Link: Apple Announces Dictation, iCloud Tabs, and 'Power Nap' Features in OS X Mountain Lion, Available in July for $19.99 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/apple-announces-dictation-icloud-tabs-and-power-nap-features-in-os-x-mountain-lion-available-in-july-for-19-99/)

artuuur
Jun 11, 2012, 02:04 PM
Yeah because my Early 2011 13' MacBook Pro doesn't have the specs to run that Power Nap thing. Thank you so much Apple!!!

jasonxneo
Jun 11, 2012, 02:05 PM
can't wait for mountain lion! :)

olowott
Jun 11, 2012, 02:07 PM
Was really impressed with mouton lion, $19.99

WOW .....:rolleyes:

Come On!!

eclipseblur954
Jun 11, 2012, 02:07 PM
Yeah because my Early 2011 13' MacBook Pro doesn't have the specs to run that Power Nap thing. Thank you so much Apple!!!

I'm sure it has more to do with allowing devices that can only sell with flash memory to use the feature

jdpruitt
Jun 11, 2012, 02:12 PM
I wonder what's up with the iMac refresh ...:apple:

Yamcha
Did anyone notice the new dock? It looks awesome..
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5807/screenshot20120611at121.png

porky
Can I finally rotate a picture in finder? :rolleyes:

antmarobel
Jun 11, 2012, 02:14 PM
I'm running here the last preview and a lot of bugs and difficulties so far. It looks like, though my hardware configuration ( iMac 27, i5, 2,8 Ghz, 8GB memory ran ), that Mountain Lion is not a multi task system. If it will be released in July I think it will be another "failure" just like Lion.:mad:

ghostlyorb
Jun 11, 2012, 02:14 PM

yeah that extremely pissed me off. I mean my computer is only a year old with simular specs. Crazy how 14 months is basically out-dated completely.

Cougarcat
Jun 11, 2012, 02:16 PM
yeah that extremely pissed me off. I mean my computer is only a year old with simular specs. Crazy how 14 months is basically out-dated completely.

There is a very good reason: you don't want your hard drive spinning all the time.

I wonder if there will be a way to enable it for those of us who've installed SSDs in our MBPs.

Navdakilla
Jun 11, 2012, 02:18 PM

Agreed. Not a fan of how quickly they phase out old computers.
Same with iOS and Siri only available on the NEW Ipad. Ipad2 is basically the same thing!

ZacNicholson
Jun 11, 2012, 02:18 PM
I hope someone finds a work around for the power nap thing. i would love to have it on my 2011 mbp.

ozaz
Jun 11, 2012, 02:19 PM
With OS X seemingly switching to dirt cheap 1-year release cycles, what is the thinking/advice of those who usually recommend waiting until 10.x.2 or 10.x.3 updates before purchasing major OS updates?

Cougarcat

It looks the same to me, but that's because I use the 2D version...is it less glossy than the old one was?

jonnysods
I can't believe that price. I guess the App Store and all the extra stuff is where the real money maker is. I'm in line to buy this for sure though!

Cougarcat
Jun 11, 2012, 02:20 PM
I can't believe that price. I guess the App Store and all the extra stuff is where the real money maker is. I'm in line to buy this for sure though!

Not the app store, the hardware.

Yamcha
Jun 11, 2012, 02:22 PM
It looks the same to me, but that's because I use the 2D version...is it less glossy than the old one was?

Yup less glossy then the old one, looks more like an aluminum dock.. I think it looks great :)

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5807/screenshot20120611at121.png

zin
Jun 11, 2012, 02:24 PM
Cherish this moment, Brits.

OS X Mountain Lion will be $19.99, which is actually 15.46 factoring in tax at today's exchange rate; the Apple website says it'll be 13.99.

:D

telepati
Jun 11, 2012, 02:25 PM
If Im not wrong apple will release today GM right?

adztaylor
Jun 11, 2012, 02:26 PM

OS X Mountain Lion will be $19.99, which is actually 15.46 factoring in tax at today's exchange rate; the Apple website says it'll be 13.99.

Nice!

macnerd77
Jun 11, 2012, 02:29 PM
Do developers get a free copy of Mountain Lion once it is released or do they still have to pay for it? I don't mind paying for it at all, i was just curious. iOS has always been a free update for me, just not sure about OS X.

----------

If Im not wrong apple will release today GM right?

apple said that what will be released today will be close to the GM. But not the GM.

----------

Yup less glossy then the old one, looks more like an aluminum dock.. I think it looks great :)

Image (http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5807/screenshot20120611at121.png)

Kind of reminds me of the apple remote.

madrich
Jun 11, 2012, 02:30 PM
There is a very good reason: you don't want your hard drive spinning all the time.

I wonder if there will be a way to enable it for those of us who've installed SSDs in our MBPs.

I am staying with Snow Leopard for my MacBookPro4,1 (early 2008). It runs great!!!!

telepati
Jun 11, 2012, 02:33 PM
Do developers get a free copy of Mountain Lion once it is released or do they still have to pay for it? I don't mind paying for it at all, i was just curious. iOS has always been a free update for me, just not sure about OS X.[COLOR="#808080"]

apple said that what will be released today will be close to the GM. But not the GM.[COLOR="#808080"]

Said latest dev preview release today. Always been final preview GM.

macnerd77
Once the entire line of apple products have been switched over to flash instead of hd's, the software will be much more compatible.

nickn
I will also be staying with SL.

thefourthpope
Jun 11, 2012, 02:38 PM
Too bad Power Nap won't run on my current laptop, but I'm alread excited for that feature whenever I upgrade next. I loathe how slow my MacBook is when it wakes up and has to spin through time machine, sync, new email, etc. Consistently my single biggest gripe.

Roessnakhan
Jun 11, 2012, 02:46 PM
The price point is nice, especially since Mountain Lion just seems like you're purchasing an iOS app suite for the Mac.

aidler
Jun 11, 2012, 02:49 PM
What's up with Mountain Lion Server?

bushido
Jun 11, 2012, 02:52 PM
question

Power Nap requires a Mac notebook with built-in flash storage. May require a firmware update.

what if i upgraded my mbp with a ssd, shouldnt that work? hm i guess some smart dev will find a way just like its possible to enable trim on a 3rd party ssd

Cougarcat
Said latest dev preview release today. Always been final preview GM.

Huh? The GM is the final release that will be released to customers. The developers just got another developer preview today, not a GM.

basesloaded190
Too bad Power Nap won't run on my current laptop, but I'm alread excited for that feature whenever I upgrade next. I loathe how slow my MacBook is when it wakes up and has to spin through time machine, sync, new email, etc. Consistently my single biggest gripe.

That's why this is a feature for laptops shipping with SSD's.

kerosene
Jun 11, 2012, 03:01 PM
Apple, you got to be kidding me. Who's looking at you in that Mountain Lion picture?

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/mountainlion560.jpg

http://www.leadership-with-you.com/images/stevejobs.jpg

iWonderwhy
Jun 11, 2012, 03:05 PM
That's $10 cheaper than Lion and you can pay $19.99 to upgrade anything all the way back to Snow Leopard. And it will upgrade all of your personal Macs.

Loved this part.

moderngamenewb
Jun 11, 2012, 03:09 PM

So it won't work with my mid 2010 13 inch MacBook pro then? Disappointed, but not surprised

miniroll32
Jun 11, 2012, 03:12 PM
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z272/miniroll32/200newfeaturescopy.jpg

Keyboard shortcut for duplicate.

Happy days!!

porky
Jun 11, 2012, 03:22 PM
Image (http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z272/miniroll32/200newfeaturescopy.jpg)

Happy days!!

And Cut & Paste? :rolleyes:

bigjobby
Jun 11, 2012, 03:27 PM
Got stung as an early adopter of Lion, so not going to make the same mistake and will wait until all the major bugs (if any) have been fixed. Do like the look of ML though.

scottwaugh
Jun 11, 2012, 03:45 PM
I am staying with Snow Leopard for my MacBookPro4,1 (early 2008). It runs great!!!!

Normal security updates for Snow Leopard will stop with the rollout of Mountain Lion (if Apple follows its historical pattern of just updating the most recent 2 versions of OS X). Do not expect Apple to keep selling Lion after Mountain Lion comes out.

Depending on your hardware, you might want to download Lion (you can install later I believe) just to have the option.

I'm on Snow Leopard too, my hardware will run Lion but won't run Mountain Lion, so I'll be heading over to the Apple store and making sure I don't loose the option of Lion and its updates after Mountain Lion rolls out.

iEdd
Jun 11, 2012, 03:49 PM
Just watched the demo of the new iMessage and Notes apps. OS X is really getting iOSified, with little apps everywhere.

What I want to know is, will syncing of notes in mail be maintained? I sure hope so, I don't want another window on the screen.

jabbawok
Jun 11, 2012, 03:51 PM
I'm running here the last preview and a lot of bugs and difficulties so far. It looks like, though my hardware configuration ( iMac 27, i5, 2,8 Ghz, 8GB memory ran ), that Mountain Lion is not a multi task system. If it will be released in July I think it will be another "failure" just like Lion.:mad:

Runs pretty well on my unsupported MacPro 1,1. Had no KPs and only a few app lock-ups. I've been using it full time since DP3. I've had no need to boot my 10.7 install.

KALLT
Jun 11, 2012, 04:06 PM
About half a year ago when the first preview appeared, I expected the features that were presented back then to be the cornerstones of the next update. It turns out that it was actually true. I have the feeling that this keynote has not added any groundbreaking things to what we already knew, besides some other small features like Facebook integration. The features are just on the minor side and have practically been transplanted from iOS. Not something I really need or look forward to, also considering that some of the features are not supported by my 2008 MacBook anyway. I think I just disregard this upgrade if it turns out that it might actually affect my performance (as Lion unfortunately did). At least the price is absolutely fair.

My biggest grief though is the lack of any iWork-related announcement. It's been a while since 2008 and quite honestly, I have lost my patience. I really like the software, but it is bugged and misses some of MS Office's key features which I had hoped to see implemented, or at least something new. I might as well go for MS Office now, with disappointment.

freyr1960
Jun 11, 2012, 04:07 PM

Unless I'm missing something the restrictions on upgrades are not related to SSDs. For example, Apple' Mt. Lion page lists Mac Pro's early 2008 or newer as being compatible. Can anyone clarify this? I don't see what an earlier Intel-based Mac Pro would not have that the 2008 model does have other than raw processing speed and a faster video card.

jcurrie79
Jun 11, 2012, 04:08 PM
One of the killer features that I was waiting for in the new OSX ML was airplay mirroring for my iMac (late 2009). Looking through the fine print of the tech specs, though, shows that airplay mirroring is not available for pre 2011 Macs.

http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

Did they announce this, or just slip it in there?

a.gomez
Jun 11, 2012, 04:11 PM
wow, this crap is not even at a "patch" level - no wonder they only charging 20 bucks for it

QCassidy352
Jun 11, 2012, 04:12 PM
Most underrated announcement of the day - iMessages sent to your phone number will show up on iPad/Mac messages apps. Been waiting for this, as nobody ever sends messages to my apple ID email address.

alvindarkness
Jun 11, 2012, 04:12 PM
Can someone who has access let us know the build number of the ML build available to WWDC devs today?

CapnJackGig
Jun 11, 2012, 04:27 PM
19.99 for what amounts to nothing more than a couple features. Thanks for nothing, Apple. Wont be buying this.

adt100
Jun 11, 2012, 04:36 PM
"Go full screen on any monitor"

Sold. If it is what I think it is this feature alone is worth the price to me, as a multi-monitor user I will finally be able to use full screen mode.

sillypooh
Jun 11, 2012, 04:41 PM
Am I the only one who would rather pay a hundred bucks and get some real new features and improvements? This is cosmetic freeware rubb*sh! :mad:

mattburley7
Jun 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
interesting that Facebook integration is coming to mountain lion but it won't be till fall? does this mean it will be added into 10.8.1?

Winni
Jun 11, 2012, 05:03 PM
Same with iOS and Siri only available on the NEW Ipad. Ipad2 is basically the same thing!

In case you haven't noticed it yet, but the business model in Apple land is changing. Their AppStores do NOT offer paid upgrades, so basically they now only charge ONCE for the software. Which, of course, kills their interest in developing new software because there is no money to be made with upgrades anymore.

This is a big problem for third party software companies, but Apple easily solves this problem by only supporting new features on new hardware.

coolspot18
Jun 11, 2012, 05:11 PM
Is Bluetooth fixed in this release?

nardis
Jun 11, 2012, 05:14 PM
On Apple's website they post "PowerNap is only available on macbooks with flash storage. Does that mean i can use it with my MacBook Pro 13" 2 years old with an SSD drive? Or does it only aply to the newest models?

BiigBiscuit
Jun 11, 2012, 06:19 PM
Unless I'm missing something the restrictions on upgrades are not related to SSDs. For example, Apple' Mt. Lion page lists Mac Pro's early 2008 or newer as being compatible. Can anyone clarify this? I don't see what an earlier Intel-based Mac Pro would not have that the 2008 model does have other than raw processing speed and a faster video card.

The SSD restriction is limited to the Power Nap feature. ML is compatible with non-SSD Macs but Power Nap will only with Macs that have SSDs.

SeattleMoose
Jun 11, 2012, 06:28 PM
I can see the allure of iCloud for some folks. But for me, the slide towards automatic iCloud integration has more downside than upside. I DO NOT want Twitter, Facebook, or my personal data on someone else's hard drive (i.e. "the cloud") where TBD can access it.

You can bet that the government already has a "back door" into Apple's server farms for "reasons of national security". The slide into a "police state" is just getting all so convenient with all this "bait" to tempt people to give up every aspect of their personal lives.

And please don't tell me you can "opt out". As iCloud becomes more integrated it also means it is easier to move the data from your HD to someone else's. Whether you do it, or it is done behind the scenes without your consent.

But hey, I am just one of those "tin-foil hat paranoid guys" because we all know our government would NEVER force ISPs, phone companies, and tech companies to quietly provide the government alphabet soup agencies with the capabilities to spy on its own citizens.......I mean that only happens in Russia....right?

Badandy
Jun 11, 2012, 06:30 PM
I can see the allure of iCloud for some folks. But for me, the slide towards automatic iCloud integration has more downside than upside. I DO NOT want Twitter, Facebook, or my personal data on someone else's hard drive (i.e. "the cloud") where TBD can access it.

You can bet that the government already has a "back door" into Apple's server farms for "reasons of national security". The slide into a "police state" is just getting all so convenient with all this "bait" to tempt people to give up every aspect of their personal lives.

And please don't tell me you can "opt out". As iCloud becomes more integrated it also means it is easier to move the data from your HD to someone else's. Whether you do it, or it is done behind the scenes without your consent.

But hey, I am just one of those "tin-foil hat paranoid guys" because we all know our government would NEVER force ISPs, phone companies, and tech companies to quietly provide the government alphabet soup agencies with the capabilities to spy on its own citizens.......I mean that only happens in Russia....right?

There are legitimate privacy concerns. That being said, you ARE that tin-foil hat guy as demonstrated by your repeated usage of quotes around phrases you distrust.

dborod
Jun 11, 2012, 06:30 PM
Anyone else notice that the voice dictation tweet demo was faked? Craig said "show off mountain lion" but the text that appeared was "show mountain lion" (59:29 in video).

Kayzle
Jun 11, 2012, 06:38 PM
One of the killer features that I was waiting for in the new OSX ML was airplay mirroring for my iMac (late 2009). Looking through the fine print of the tech specs, though, shows that airplay mirroring is not available for pre 2011 Macs.

HUGE disappointment for me, was really looking forward to using this on my 2009 imac

28monkeys
Jun 11, 2012, 06:46 PM
so the slide reads "200 features for China"!

Cougarcat
Jun 11, 2012, 06:48 PM
On Apple's website they post "PowerNap is only available on macbooks with flash storage. Does that mean i can use it with my MacBook Pro 13" 2 years old with an SSD drive? Or does it only aply to the newest models?

It says "built-in" flash storage is required. But who knows, maybe there will be a tweak to get it to work.

captain kaos
Jun 11, 2012, 07:08 PM
I really hope ML is going to be ok in its first version. Im still on SL because of the initial issues with upgrading to Lion, so i haven't gone to icloud yet, I still i get hassled everytime i log on to mobile me via a web browser!

Anyway, another concern for me is apples direction with the os. With all this social network integration is anyone else worried about os updates that don't work with any 3rd party apps (photoshop, etc)? I know i am, i think Apple needs to be careful of a few things; not concentrating on its core work, strong os that just works, losing key machines on its line up, like the mac pro (i work in film post production and i we need to look 4-5 years down the road to decide to go mac or pc). If not Apple could really start to lose customers, but i guess they don't mind as long as ipad and iphones keep selling. Although looking at the ios6 update, they don't seem to mind losing ipad 1 customers! I think people will really start to walk away if they are forced to buy new hardware every 1.5/2 years when their older equipment still works.

spillproof
Jun 11, 2012, 07:21 PM
Now that I can upgrade directly from Snow Leopard for $20, I am seriously considering upgrading. I would love Dictation for school reports.

CommodityFetish
Jun 11, 2012, 07:36 PM
I'd bet that the restrictions on Power Nap (to SSD laptops) are due to heat concerns. Laptops with hard disks aren't made to run their hard drives when closed (and/or apple doesn't want them firing up their noisy fans while asleep), whereas this is probably not a problem for SSD laptops. That would explain why the restrictions are not the same for Mac Pros which don't have this same heat problem.

I'm also not really happy about being tied into Apple's iCloud and the social networking integration. Will probably pass on ML (and therefore probably all future mac OS's?). I keep thinking with my next machine it may be time to switch to Ubuntu.

smartalic34
Jun 11, 2012, 07:55 PM
I'm really excited for the new tab management on Safari - being able to swipe between tabs sounds absolutely fantastic. I normally have many tabs open, and the current key combo to move between tabs is a PITA (even changing it to something simpler is still annoying - a gesture is much better).

homercycles
Jun 11, 2012, 08:07 PM
I'm a Linux user with a brother constantly touting the benefits of switching to Mac, but the Finder is such a basic file manager that I couldn't begin to consider switching if I have to do all my file management through the Terminal because Apple, for some unknown reason, thinks a file manager isn't needed anymore now that they have bling such as Spotlight, etc.

If I want to copy a folder into another folder (that contains a folder of the same name) I expect it to *merge* the contents, not offer me a total cop-out of a "Replace" button, which wastes the destination folder in preference for the source folder. I'm sorry, but this is the kind of thing that should have been fixed back in the days of 10.1. I could go on about other problems with the Mac GUI that Apple refuses to acknowledge/fix, even with their mountain of cash. It seems to me that Apple only care about the most moronic user these days and anybody with a brain can shove off. Which is exactly what I'm doing until the Mac GUI gets some improvements targeted at power users, and not just hipsters that will get all warm and fuzzy at the latest Apple fad.

Yet another disappointing OS X release, Apple. Not all of us are idiots. You also need something between an iMac and a Mac Pro that doesn't force me to a) buy a monitor and b) have a monitor with a stupid shiny screen. I want to be able to swap out my own hard drives, keep my existing screen, and not take out a mortgage to buy a Mac Pro. How about resurrecting the plain old "Mac"?

Winni
Jun 11, 2012, 08:19 PM
I'm a Linux user with a brother constantly touting the benefits of switching to Mac, but the Finder is such a basic file manager that I couldn't begin to consider switching if I have to do all my file management through the Terminal because Apple, for some unknown reason, thinks a file manager isn't needed anymore now that they have bling such as Spotlight, etc.

If I want to copy a folder into another folder (that contains a folder of the same name) I expect it to *merge* the contents, not offer me a total cop-out of a "Replace" button, which wastes the destination folder in preference for the source folder. I'm sorry, but this is the kind of thing that should have been fixed back in the days of 10.1. I could go on about other problems with the Mac GUI that Apple refuses to acknowledge/fix, even with their mountain of cash. It seems to me that Apple only care about the most moronic user these days and anybody with a brain can shove off. Which is exactly what I'm doing until the Mac GUI gets some improvements targeted at power users, and not just hipsters that will get all warm and fuzzy at the latest Apple fad.

Yet another disappointing OS X release, Apple. Not all of us are idiots. You also need something between an iMac and a Mac Pro that doesn't force me to a) buy a monitor and b) have a monitor with a stupid shiny screen. I want to be able to swap out my own hard drives, keep my existing screen, and not take out a mortgage to buy a Mac Pro. How about resurrecting the plain old "Mac"?

You're not their target audience. Since they found out that they can sell more iPads than Macs and make more money through iOS than through OS X, neither am I anymore, but I invested too much into software for OS X to just move on.

The problem is that they iPad hype apparently burned some deep holes in the brains of the rest of the industry; when I look at where Ubuntu is going with Unity and where Microsoft is headed with Windows 8, I wonder if I should go back to using a good old fashioned typewriter and find a different industry to work in.

palmharbor
Jun 11, 2012, 08:27 PM
I hear no fix to apple mail...no fix to pages or iphoto. All of us are not focused on Facebook, uploading more photos from our highschool day. Lion needs an overhaul so its as good as Snow Leopard!:apple:

ugp
Jun 11, 2012, 08:55 PM
Can't wait for the release. $19.99 is an awesome price.

CausticPuppy
Jun 11, 2012, 09:08 PM

Hopefully something as easy as issuing a "defaults write" shell command.

Macrolido
Jun 11, 2012, 09:42 PM
Its good to know that Im not the only SL user here...

pwhitehead
Jun 11, 2012, 09:51 PM
I'll stick with osx snow leopard. I tried lion n it cooked my case too much. Didn't like lions ass kicking and causing excessive heat.

spl456
Jun 11, 2012, 10:14 PM
19.99 for what amounts to nothing more than a couple features. Thanks for nothing, Apple. Wont be buying this.

The only useful feature l see in ML is that in Safari, the address/search bar will become one, like Chrome.
Apart from that, the other stuff is just gimmicky-window-dressing that l'll never use.

How about fixing cut/copy/paste properly or CMD+Tab so that apps actually pop up from the dock, like Windows, instead of just appearing in the top menu bar?
'Save As' (Duplicate/Unlock is a PITA)

From a personal user perspective (browsing internet, e-mail, chat, messages), Apple's products are fine. From a business perspective, it's still got a long way to go.

Hardware wise, yeah, it's durable/solid and l haven't had any problems. 5 stars, but software, 'meh...

dcorban
Jun 11, 2012, 10:18 PM
If I want to copy a folder into another folder (that contains a folder of the same name) I expect it to *merge* the contents, not offer me a total cop-out of a "Replace" button, which wastes the destination folder in preference for the source folder.
This feature was added with Lion.

----------

You must have a very old MacBook. I have the Late 2008 (the first aluminum model) and wake from sleep is instant with Lion.

jharvey71884
Jun 11, 2012, 10:25 PM
So will Powernap just not work if you have an older Macbook Pro (early 2011)? Or will the whole Mountain Lion not work what so ever? Do I get everything else if I updgrade or can I not upgrade at all?

tayloralmond
Jun 11, 2012, 10:53 PM
Initially, I was upset that Mountain Lion wouldn't run on my Mac Pro (1,1). Upon seeing what Mountain Lion has to offer, I don't really mind. I don't have any iOS devices, so iCloud integration doesn't affect me. I have a 30" display for my monitor, so I don't need display mirroring. Other than the fact that I won't be able to run the "latest and greatest" version of OS X, I have nothing to be upset about. If I can still get the job done using Leopard on my PowerMac G5 Quad, I think my Mac Pro will be going strong with Lion for several more years to come.

smartalic34
Jun 11, 2012, 11:07 PM
So will Powernap just not work if you have an older Macbook Pro (early 2011)? Or will the whole Mountain Lion not work what so ever? Do I get everything else if I updgrade or can I not upgrade at all?

Just Power Nap that won't work, and this is due to having a traditional hard drive, as opposed to an SSD, which is what the new Retina MBP's have (the updated regular MBP can't support Power Nap, only the laptops with SSD's)

Otherwise, pretty much all features of Mountain Lion will be available.

212rikanmofo
Jun 12, 2012, 01:05 AM
Is it possible to update to the GM version from a developer's preview?

blinkin182
Jun 12, 2012, 03:09 AM

Hm... if you are so paranoid, then I would think that, those government agencies that you are talking about probably already have access to all your files on your hard drive, with or without iCloud. I am sure they didn't wait for iCloud to access them if that is what they want to do.

If you want a zero-risk situation, I would recommend not using internet!

----------

"Go full screen on any monitor"

Sold. If it is what I think it is this feature alone is worth the price to me, as a multi-monitor user I will finally be able to use full screen mode.

Yeay! I didn't see this one! thanks for pointing it out! I wonder how they are implementing it though? Anyone have any idea?

----------

Anyone else notice that the voice dictation tweet demo was faked? Craig said "show off mountain lion" but the text that appeared was "show mountain lion" (59:29 in video).

I also noticed this, but I think I heard him hesitate and mumble as he was talking, so maybe Siri didn't catch it.

artuuur
Jun 12, 2012, 05:01 AM

I thought I read somewhere that you also wouldn't want constant access to your SSD because it would "wear off" over the time? (not the correct technical term, of course)

Not being a troll, just wondering....

----------

This feature was added with Lion.

No it wasn't. You just get a Stop / Replace option. There isn't a Merge option available.

DJJAZZYJET
Jun 12, 2012, 05:52 AM
That new dock is looking awesome. Good amount of new and improved features for a mere 13.99 ($20 for you americano's) Lets hope it won't be released at the end of the month like lion was, eh ....... oh wait :(

Cougarcat
Jun 12, 2012, 06:41 AM
I thought I read somewhere that you also wouldn't want constant access to your SSD because it would "wear off" over the time? (not the correct technical term, of course)

Not being a troll, just wondering....

The way I understand it is that it's sort of a myth. While true, the write limit is much, much greater than the lifetime if your computer. I could be wrong though.

Thunderhawks
Jun 12, 2012, 07:05 AM
Was really impressed with mouton lion, $19.99

WOW .....:rolleyes:

Come On!!

Don't know if anybody mentioned this yet:

App store still shows Lion for $ 29.99 with no mention that an upgrade to Mountain would be free if you buy Lion now.

If Apple wants to keep selling Lion from now until Mountain is available (July) they should reduce Lion to $ 19.99 same non restrictions, plus a free upgrade, otherwise why wouldn't people just wait things out?

HE15MAN
Jun 12, 2012, 07:40 AM
Lets answer this guys and gals...

what changes or innovations can OSX add, that would wow us?

dcorban
Jun 12, 2012, 08:24 AM
No it wasn't. You just get a Stop / Replace option. There isn't a Merge option available.

Incorrect, and here is the proof. I just tested it and took a screen capture of the finder prompt:
http://i.imgur.com/1uOe8.png

Unfortunately, it only (currently) works when copying, not moving, folders. I'm not sure why. Probably because when you move folders, Finder will just prompt you per-file instead to be more safe.

morespce54
Jun 12, 2012, 08:32 AM
So, new features for China is a "big" selling point...:rolleyes:
kudo for the price 'tho!

----------

App store still shows Lion for $ 29.99 with no mention that an upgrade to Mountain would be free if you buy Lion now.

If Apple wants to keep selling Lion from now until Mountain is available (July) they should reduce Lion to $ 19.99 same non restrictions, plus a free upgrade, otherwise why wouldn't people just wait things out?

I don't think upgrade from the MAS will be free. I think it's when you buy a new Mac (now that ML has been officially announced), that you're entitled to get ML update for free...

MrNomNoms
Jun 12, 2012, 08:47 AM

If you read this:

Power Nap requires a Mac notebook with built-in flash storage. May require a firmware update.

From the features page it appears that it maybe possible given that you can get a BTO option for the 2011 MacBook models so at least in theory they might provide a firmware update. There is a good chance for it to happen given that they've provided firmware updates as to allow end users to do an internet recovery on older machines (2010 models IIRC) so back porting a feature isn't something new for Apple to do (assuming there is enough demand for it).

justperry
Jun 12, 2012, 09:11 AM
If you read this:

From the features page it appears that it maybe possible given that you can get a BTO option for the 2011 MacBook models so at least in theory they might provide a firmware update. There is a good chance for it to happen given that they've provided firmware updates as to allow end users to do an internet recovery on older machines (2010 models IIRC) so back porting a feature isn't something new for Apple to do (assuming there is enough demand for it).

Just to add to your comment

It IS firmware based so for those people asking for it to run on even earlier systems, forget it, not going to happen.
Also, a hack is not going to work, it needs different firmware to be enabled.
All systems up to now will sleep if you close the lid, with the new firmware it sleeps but still runs things in the background, or it wakes without turning the display on and checks certain things at a certain interval.

bedifferent
Jun 12, 2012, 10:31 AM
On top of this, DP3.2 was working perfectly. Updated and DP4 Finder window(s) keep popping up every 30 seconds to the second. I [have] to stop what I am doing as it throws my activity to that window every time.

July release, eh Apple?

[Sorry Finder window threw me out of typing, forgive errors]

Huracan
Jun 12, 2012, 11:40 AM
HUGE disappointment for me, was really looking forward to using this on my 2009 imac

I am also disappointed. I have a newer iMac and I don't see how it cannot have enough processing power to take care of this simple mirroring task. I think this time Apple has been extremely aggressive in not enabling features in older Macs. Very disappointing. They will still sell a lot of Mountain Lion copies but will probably get a lot of calls from people who don't see the features working.

I hope someone will come up with hacks to enable the Airplay functionality in older models.

moderngamenewb
Jun 12, 2012, 12:16 PM
It says "built-in" flash storage is required. But who knows, maybe there will be a tweak to get it to work.

Is it possible to update the mid 2010 MacBook pro 13inch to flash memory? Or is that impossible?

Cougarcat
Jun 12, 2012, 12:35 PM
Is it possible to update the mid 2010 MacBook pro 13inch to flash memory? Or is that impossible?

Impossible, it needs an enclosure. SSD only.

AnonMac50
Jun 12, 2012, 12:51 PM
Image (http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5807/screenshot20120611at121.png)

I did. But I just noticed that the indicator lights are different.

----------

Do developers get a free copy of Mountain Lion once it is released or do they still have to pay for it? I don't mind paying for it at all, i was just curious. iOS has always been a free update for me, just not sure about OS X.

----------

apple said that what will be released today will be close to the GM. But not the GM.

----------

Kind of reminds me of the apple remote.

AFAICT you get a free copy if you're in the paid dev program. :)

nuckinfutz
Jun 12, 2012, 12:52 PM
Lets answer this guys and gals...

what changes or innovations can OSX add, that would wow us?

You'll typically get few responses to questions like this because it requires actually thinking about how an OS should be architected and that requires creativity or experience which isn't easy.

OS X is now pretty mature so the days of Apple adding "Core newsomething" and wowing is going to be more rare.

At this point I think the next thing is going to be a new filesystem and that filesystem's features will dictate a raft of new features. Apple's on the way with Core Storage (Lion) so I suspect this may come within the next two OS revisions.

AnonMac50
Jun 12, 2012, 12:52 PM
I am also disappointed. I have a newer iMac and I don't see how it cannot have enough processing power to take care of this simple mirroring task. I think this time Apple has been extremely aggressive in not enabling features in older Macs. Very disappointing. They will still sell a lot of Mountain Lion copies but will probably get a lot of calls from people who don't see the features working.

I hope someone will come up with hacks to enable the Airplay functionality in older models.

I think a hack came out some time ago for AirPlay. I just can't find it now though.

moderngamenewb
Jun 12, 2012, 01:09 PM
Impossible, it needs an enclosure. SSD only.

Thanks for the quick reply. I still have another year-year and a half on my apple care so I'm just going to probably hold out until after the warranty expires

Kayzle
Jun 12, 2012, 01:21 PM
I think a hack came out some time ago for AirPlay. I just can't find it now though.

Do tell

Jasoco
Jun 12, 2012, 03:08 PM
I was hoping Mountain Lion would get Siri too. It would be a great replacement for voice recognition. Set a key word and then have Siri do it for you. I'd buy a microphone for my Mac mini that sits by my TV and is constantly always on just for this reason. Seriously. It would be amazing.

Documents in the cloud will be great as iOS apps are updated that can view files of all types.

I hope Dictation works in Chrome too. I don't use Safari so every time they update Safari I can't care at all.

iMessages will be awesome. I will be getting an iPhone next month and will love having messages just show up on all my devices and I can reply from wherever and whatever I happen to be doing. All my family members have iPhones anyway.

Also, I use Twitter all the time. This will be awesome.

Power Nap looks pretty damn cool. I've always wished my computer could do this. Now it will. Updating itself while asleep. Too bad I don't use Time Machine, but maybe there'll be an API so apps like Carbon Copy Cloner and even CrashPlan can take advantage of it. I mean I'm always plugged in anyway. So it's not a battery thing.

Game Center won't matter to me. All my games are on Steam or on my iPad.

thefourthpope
Jun 12, 2012, 06:34 PM
That's why this is a feature for laptops shipping with SSD's.

I know; I'm thrilled they have a solution, even if it's not available to my current hardware.

thefourthpope
Jun 12, 2012, 06:45 PM
At this point I think the next thing is going to be a new filesystem and that filesystem's features will dictate a raft of new features. Apple's on the way with Core Storage (Lion) so I suspect this may come within the next two OS revisions.

I'm really interested to see where they go with this. iCloud at this point is really limited by needing apps that play exolicitly with that system; I can't even keep Word files in sync across my machines.

In terms of a single feature, I'd like to see more native sharing/collaboration tools. I don't know what that would look like (and that's why I don't have a job doing this) but something that would allow a group to work across distance in real time, on multiple file types. Apple has all these visually appealing chat options, but little in the way of system wide collaboration. Creativity and creation are rarely individual events.

chochazel
Jun 12, 2012, 10:34 PM
> The slide into a "police state" is just getting all so convenient with all this "bait" to tempt people to give up every aspect of their personal lives.

While you're right that it's conceivable the government would try to gain access to information in the cloud based on past behaviours, the motivation you ascribe to private companies is what makes your claim ridiculous. The suggestion that technology companies are only offering cloud services to bait their customers to make it easier for the government to spy on them, rather than because it's a useful service that people demand, is what makes you paranoid. Just because the government might spy on email, phones or cloud data, it doesn't follow that phones, email and the cloud must have been invented or propagated simply so the government could spy! That's an absurd motivation to ascribe to companies like Microsoft, Apple and Google, who lets face it, just want to make money by providing services. Some companies may be indifferent to spying, that does mean they are specifically motivated to encourage it.

twoodcc
Jun 12, 2012, 10:35 PM
Hopefully it'll be released in early July

fox10078
Jun 13, 2012, 05:42 PM

WTF, the mac pro isn't even on there.

thefourthpope
Jun 13, 2012, 08:51 PM
You must have a very old MacBook. I have the Late 2008 (the first aluminum model) and wake from sleep is instant with Lion.

I'm not talking about wake from sleep. I'm talking about all the automatic cycles my system goes through to get up and running. Yes, the screen comes on immediately, and I can begin working, but lots of resources are immediately dedicated to starting a sync, finding and beginning a TimeMachine backup, spinning through Dropbox, checking for new mail, etc.
So I'm excited to have those processes running in the background as the computer sleeps, thereby cutting down on the time needed when it wakes.

wms121
Jun 13, 2012, 09:08 PM
...take a look here boyz and grilz,

http://www.sgi.com/products/hpc_cloud/cyclone/index.html

We are now where we should have been a while back "in the cloud".

After Sun got eaten by that mean ol' Ellison ORACLE...we sort of forgot to
remember how we compared ourselves in the HPC world. iPhones and iPods
aside..no one had 'big iron size' macs..except those who were building mini-
server farms..or VTI type computing palaces.

OpenCL may change all that.

IF each new "desktop mac + laptop mac" comes with an opencl NVIDIA card
and the teraflops to match...soon the "servers in the cloud"..with their
grids open...can offer us "time-sharing tidbits"..over the high-speed net.

Not much now..but in a few years..with 25-50-100MB/s access speeds we will
have what only NASA and MIT now take for granted...
..SUPERCOMPUTING access.. and sometimes FOR FREE.

You sure about FREE wms121?

Those type 'data-arrangements' are usually very expensive.

Usually is still the case..but with the "extra-FLOPS" from the gamer cards..
and the ubiquitious possibilities for grid computing present in the cloud..your
"iCloud enabled MacOSX tiger-leopard-mountainlion--or full bred LION 256-bit
processing system (Windows 8 is going 256-bit..when Win9 is announced)..
can allow "grid timesharing"...and accumulated "grid hours"..or 'free computing
time'.

But what if I don't have anything that needs a supercomputer?

You may have stuff that does..and not know it.

Those weather maps, stock forecasts, engineering parts specs,
automobile stress simulations...yada yada yada...any number
of items..could be "super enhanced"..even on an iphone.

The Cloud begets the Grid..begets the AI buddy system...and the terminators
SKYNET (real name in the UK by the way)...will walk right up to you and give
you a toothy silver apple smile.

Should be about the time that IBM builds its first POWER12 full blown optical
Blue Gene with Deep Blue DNA.

WW

Yamcha
Jun 15, 2012, 12:21 PM
You know I'd love to see Apple Maps on the next OS X release..

iDuel
Jun 15, 2012, 03:47 PM
Looking forward to the Javascript improvements coming to Safari.

Hopefully, Apple will continue to make Safari a viable competitor to Chrome and Firefox.

jmull
Jun 16, 2012, 03:37 PM
The problem with iCloud Tabs is that no one uses Safari... I already have clouded tabs/bookmarks/history/etc in Chrome.

----------

I paid $30 for OS X Lion, which was a disappointment to say the least, now they want $20 for more nothingness? I won't be a sucker twice.

jnpy!$4g3cwk
Jun 16, 2012, 07:47 PM
OpenCL may change all that.

IF each new "desktop mac + laptop mac" comes with an opencl NVIDIA card
and the teraflops to match...soon the "servers in the cloud"..with their
grids open...can offer us "time-sharing tidbits"..over the high-speed net.

What kind of DP (Double Precision - 64-bits) floating point is available on these Nvidia cards through OpenCL? I thought I remember reading that at one point Nvidia was not planning to make full DP performance available by default -- but, I'm not sure if/how that applies to these new cards.

LegitKid
Jun 16, 2012, 10:32 PM

Siri can't be available on the iPad 2 because it doesn't have an A5 chip in it. Siri only works with A5 devices. Ex. iPhone 4S with its A5 chip and the new iPad with its A5X chip. The iPad 2 has an A4 chip.

nuckinfutz
Jun 17, 2012, 12:07 AM
Siri can't be available on the iPad 2 because it doesn't have an A5 chip in it. Siri only works with A5 devices. Ex. iPhone 4S with its A5 chip and the new iPad with its A5X chip. The iPad 2 has an A4 chip.

Nein

iPad 2 has an A5
The New iPad has an A5x

http://www.apple.com/ipad/ipad-2/specs.html

The lack of Siri coming to the iPad 2 is an artificial limitation.

aggri1
Jun 17, 2012, 02:16 AM

Happy days!!

What is this referring to? Duplicate (in the Finder, and some other relevant applications) has been command-D for as long as I can remember.

eron
Jun 17, 2012, 02:56 AM
Nein

iPad 2 has an A5
The New iPad has an A5x

The new iOS devices has "noise reduction tech", which previous gens do not have. http://www.tuaw.com/2012/02/06/siri-may-be-iphone-4s-only-because-of-noise-reduction-tech/

Apple is good at limiting usage of features that will bring about lack lustre performance. Also 'encourages' you to upgrade. At least they are still updating the legacy devices, else it will be truly planned obsolescence.

Luis Ortega
Jun 17, 2012, 03:52 AM

It's become even more obvious that the last version of the great OSX system was snow leopard.
Everything since has been driven by a stupid attempt to shoehorn ios and osx into one system, with the loss going to people who needed real operating systems to use their computers.
OSX is dead.
And from the looks of it, Windows 7 was the last serious OS from Microsoft.
Windows 8 looks like the same bastardized mess that mountain lion promises to be.
I wonder what people who need more than what tablet and phone users want are going to move to?

jnpy!$4g3cwk
Jun 17, 2012, 10:12 AM
(withdrawn)

jnpy!$4g3cwk
Jun 17, 2012, 10:45 AM
It's become even more obvious that the last version of the great OSX system was snow leopard.
Everything since has been driven by a stupid attempt to shoehorn ios and osx into one system, with the loss going to people who needed real operating systems to use their computers.
OSX is dead.

I agree with you that it is silly to try make OSX have the same look and feel as IOS.

That said, you seem to imply that Apple has damaged OSX kernel capabilities somehow with ML. Could you be more explicit?

Windows 8 looks like the same bastardized mess that mountain lion promises to be.
I wonder what people who need more than what tablet and phone users want are going to move to?

Yes, Microsoft is making the same mistake; even more so apparently.

An essential and obvious difference between an iPad and a MacBook Pro is the keyboard. The keyboard, as a feature, is an essential part of what most people want to do with their desktop or portable computer, and it is actually stupid to minimize that.

LegitKid
Jun 17, 2012, 03:57 PM
Nein

iPad 2 has an A5
The New iPad has an A5x

Yeah I forgot. I guess they don't care about the iPad 2

bearda
Jun 22, 2012, 10:16 AM

Is that true? I was under the impression you got as free upgrade if you bought a Mac now, but I didn't think they were offering free upgrades for purchasers of Lion.

mazurka
Jul 11, 2012, 12:18 PM

Bound to be a typo. Wonder what the euro equivalent will be? Usually we get charged the same figure as the dollar price.

picciano
Jul 13, 2012, 03:30 PM
I DO NOT want Twitter, Facebook, or my personal data on someone else's hard drive (i.e. "the cloud") where TBD can access it.

If you use Twitter or Facebook you can't really be serious complaining about a lack of privacy, right? Where do you think that data is stored? And who do you possibly think DOESN'T have access to it?

Just sayin'

BigMcGuire
Jul 14, 2012, 12:46 AM
Am I the only one frustrated by the fact that we're told that it will be released in July but ... not sure WHEN in July it will be released? :P

smartalic34
Jul 14, 2012, 01:19 AM
Am I the only one frustrated by the fact that we're told that it will be released in July but ... not sure WHEN in July it will be released? :P

IIRC, Apple didn't reveal Lion's July release date last year until the day before :eek: (I believe CFO Peter Oppenheimer was the one who told the media).

I think MacRumors had a story a few weeks back about Apple employees having vacation days blacked out July 23 - July 29th-ish, so possible the 23rd-25th would be most likely?

Edit: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/22/vacation-blackout-hints-at-late-july-release-for-os-x-mountain-lion/

a third-party company has the black-out, and it's for 7/22-7/29

efktd
Jul 14, 2012, 01:31 AM
I'm really excited for the new tab management on Safari - being able to swipe between tabs sounds absolutely fantastic. I normally have many tabs open, and the current key combo to move between tabs is a PITA (even changing it to something simpler is still annoying - a gesture is much better).

i can get used to that. no more requiring two hands for "command, shift, ]"

thekeyring
Jul 14, 2012, 02:46 AM

It requires a Mac with a Solid State Drive. My Mid-2012 MacBook Pro (that's one week old) won't run Power Nap. :)

----------

I know what you mean - I thought it was because he tripped over his words slightly, though.

thekeyring
Jul 14, 2012, 03:08 AM
OSX is dead.

Hardly. Look at Windows 8. Is Apple doing that with OS X? Are all the apps full screen? Has launchpad replaced the desktop? Can you ONLY install apps via the Mac App Store?

Did you see the WWDC keynote? "With Mountain Lion our mission remains the same. To deliver the world's most advance operating system for notebook and desktop computers. With an interface optimised for multi-touch trackpads, and mice."

The features they've introduced mean OS X works better with iCloud, and if you're used to an iOS device, you'll feel more at home on a Mac.

----------

You can upgrade to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard. It's only free if you've bought a Mac recently.

barkmonster
Jul 14, 2012, 03:21 AM
I'm sure there'll be a hack to get the powernap feature working on upgraded older Macs.

You can add an SSD in place of your original drive. That means that if you can add TRIM support to a 3rd party drive with a hack, powernap should end up being the same eventually depending on how fast it takes someone to create something similar to TRIM enabler.

You can also add 2 SSDs by removing your DVD drive and fitting a second one using an adapter. 3rd party external USB drive housings for the original drive are also available and the procedure for getting a laptop or I presume, pre-2011 Mac Mini as well, to recognise the external drive without errors in iDVD or DVD Player is to edit the following:-

Download a hex editor like the free software 0xED by Suavetech.

Navigate with your Finder to the following file on you main hard drive: /System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A/DVDPlayback

For safety reasons it would be advisable to copy the file DVDPlayback to a backup folder.

Open the file with 0xED. Press cmd+F to open a search window.

Enter "Internal" without the " in the search field and "External" in the replace field and click on replace all. Afterwards there should be a little info saying that 4 changes have been made.

Now go to File -> Save as and save the file to your desktop. Close 0xED and move the edited file back to the initial folder (/System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A/)
You will be prompted to enter your system password. Now plug your Superdrive into the USB port (if not already plugged in). It should now be successfully initialized and ready for use with all your applications.

(This was posted in a review of the Optibay on Amazon.)

zin
Jul 16, 2012, 06:14 PM
Bound to be a typo. Wonder what the euro equivalent will be? Usually we get charged the same figure as the dollar price.

15.99, assuming every other European country gets charged the same amount in Euros.

http://www.apple.com/fr/osx/

conorm19147
Jul 18, 2012, 08:20 PM
My brand new 13" 2012 MBP can't run power nap because it doesn't have a retina display

nuckinfutz
Jul 18, 2012, 08:31 PM
My brand new 13" 2012 MBP can't run power nap because it doesn't have a retina display

No it's because it doesn't have an SDD.