PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of iOS 6?

viperGTS
Jun 11, 2012, 01:57 PM
Personally, I thought it was a decent update at best. But I'm totally sold with the new Maps app. It's very nice, and i like the phone app improvements, as well as passbook and Siri enhancements. And I'm glad to see the 3GS getting support as well. :)

What do you guys think?

Here is Apple's iOS 6 preview page: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 11, 2012, 01:58 PM
Think the expansion of Siri with more data services has the posibility to deal big time blow to Google's mobile search/advertising services.

gregrose
Jun 11, 2012, 01:59 PM
boring update, neglects features it could really use, just updates to novelty apps that arent used much.

tnisatard
Jun 11, 2012, 02:00 PM
I thought it was expected. Did not blow anything out of the water, but I can see using all the features they announced.

ThisIsNotMe
Not sure how they can support it on a 3GS and not an iPad V1.

GoGa
I think it is a pretty huge update, Maps looks AMAZING and it looks like there is lots of little things that will provide an all round better experience.

and lets not forget we haven't seen all of the new things (e.g. Redesigned stores.)

chris2k5
Jun 11, 2012, 02:02 PM
boring update, neglects features it could really use, just updates to novelty apps that arent used much.

Maps aren't used much? Facebook isn't used much?

:eek: Get out

AndyK
I'm disappointed there is no UI improvements or seemingly quicker ways to do things such as reply to messages or enable/disable WiFI quickly.

As I've said in another thread, to me this comes across as having loads of new shiny things for Facebook / social network users, non of which I use to it wasn't really going to excite me. I have no desire to share my life with the planet.

Mochi Hana
The only thing that excited me was the new maps. Everything else I really don't care about.

JKK photography
Jun 11, 2012, 02:04 PM
Considering we only saw a handful of the features (often times, the little things make the most profound difference), I'm pretty impressed. What they showed was extremely polished, and seems genuinely useful.

Though I'm an Android guy on smartphones, this is probably put me over the edge towards getting an iPad 3rd generation. So, in that regard, bravo Apple.

Also: ML looks great.

Cougarcat
Jun 11, 2012, 02:04 PM
I'm most excited that you can now use songs as alarm sounds.

bfChris
Jun 11, 2012, 02:07 PM
Not sure how they can support it on a 3GS and not an iPad V1.

Yes, that is a puzzling question. My iPhone 3GS is 3 years old (and the sooner they get the iPhone 5 out, the sooner it will be retired; the 4S didn't have 4G so I kept waiting). My iPad is only 2 years old. How is it that newer technology is obsolete while ancient hardware is still good to go???

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 02:10 PM
YAWN. That's my thoughts about it.

Turn by turn is cool, but I've had it for years on my other devices and it's not going to be used on my iPad at all.

FaceTime over 3G... Skype has had this for ages. FaceTime doesn't offer any benefits over Skype either.

Jarland
Jun 11, 2012, 02:20 PM
Love it. Didn't really have an idea what I wanted, I enjoy iOS fine as it is. All positive improvements.

aziatiklover
Jun 11, 2012, 02:20 PM

Turn by turn is cool, but I've had it for years on my other devices and it's not going to be used on my iPad at all.

FaceTime over 3G... Skype has had this for ages. FaceTime doesn't offer any benefits over Skype either.

Yes it does! With skype you have to sign in and be on to video chat or call. With facetime there is no sign in and sign out!:rolleyes:

viperGTS
Jun 11, 2012, 02:22 PM
Yes it does! With skype you have to sign in and be on to video chat or call. With facetime there is no sign in and sign out!:rolleyes:

Exactly, it's integrated with iOS!

Also, for those that dont know, the iPad now has a clock app (not sure if it had one before).

frostbit3
Jun 11, 2012, 02:25 PM
I was really hoping that they would add widget support into iOS. It's a long time overdue now IMO

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 02:25 PM

You don't have to sign in.. not manually anyway. When I reboot my iPad, Skype logs in automatically and stays logged in in the background. Unless you sign out, it's always on, just like FaceTime.

The benefit of Skype is of course that it's multi platform, and any messages you share on Skype can be accessed on your Windows/Android/and any other platform that supports Skype devices.

iPhonemaster5S
Jun 11, 2012, 02:30 PM
I'm very excited about iOS6. The new maps feature looks amazing, the turn by turn feature was a much needed feature. It is weird that the 3GS works with iOS6 but the original iPad doesn't. Maybe Apple has something planned?;)

aziatiklover
Jun 11, 2012, 02:39 PM
You don't have to sign in.. not manually anyway. When I reboot my iPad, Skype logs in automatically and stays logged in in the background. Unless you sign out, it's always on, just like FaceTime.

The benefit of Skype is of course that it's multi platform, and any messages you share on Skype can be accessed on your Windows/Android/and any other platform that supports Skype devices.

Maybe on android, windows phone, and ios it auto sign in (not sure if the app is close tho)! But On os x and windows you have to have the app open and sign in and start receiving message call, vid call amirite?

On the other hand i dont have to open facetime app on my mac to receive a facetime call!

Russiaone
Jun 11, 2012, 02:42 PM
I think it's cool. Of course, I would love a new springboard but... It is what it is.

chrf097
Jun 11, 2012, 02:48 PM

Because nobody EVER uses Safari, Maps, Siri, or Facebook?

OneMike
Jun 11, 2012, 02:48 PM
Maps aren't used much? Facebook isn't used much?

:eek: Get out

Depends. Day to day how often do you use maps?

It looks nice, but other than trips it won't be a biggie to me.

Facebook, eh.

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 02:51 PM
Maybe on android, windows phone, and ios it auto sign in (not sure if the app is close tho)! But On os x and windows you have to have the app open and sign in and start receiving message call, vid call amirite?

On the other hand i dont have to open facetime app on my mac to receive a facetime call!

Right, but Skype has an auto sign in feature for windows too. You can close it so it's not in the taskbar and only appears in the system tray, but it's still signed in, and you can still get calls.

I really don't see that as a disadvantage!

Syk
Jun 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
Really expected more for iOS6. It seems more like an incremental 5.5
I don't think Siri will be on the iP4 or iPad2 so even more of a let down in that reguard. I'm guessing Maps was the big feature.

For me the biggest thing was DND I've been wanting something like that since I had my 3G although I wish it took it one step more and allowed you to choose which days also along with the time. I don't know. Of course I'll update my iPad2 to iOS6 and probably my iPhone4 but if they don't show something else when they show the new iPhone I may pick up a SIII and give me son my iP4 and he can use it on StraightTalk instead of the phone he has now.

Sort of tired of the same ole same. Was hoping the UI got a refresh, even if it only meant new icons or colors.

aziatiklover
Jun 11, 2012, 02:56 PM
Right, but Skype has an auto sign in feature for windows too. You can close it so it's not in the taskbar and only appears in the system tray, but it's still signed in, and you can still get calls.

I really don't see that as a disadvantage!

:rolleyes: yea thats what I thought! Well do you like something that is build in or something optional that you have to open everytime you boot your system up, so that it can load into sign in mode?

Anyways does skype stay sign in after you close the app on ios, android, and windows phone? Or it has a period of time like yahoo messenger and others before you have to click on the app to open it again!

Syk
Jun 11, 2012, 02:59 PM

Seems like FaceTime over 3G would eat a lot of data especially on LTE.

I there'll be something special that will work only with the new iPhone and we won't see it till this fall. At least I hope so.

I see you have an SIII. How do you like it? You can PM so as not to derail this thread.

bigjnyc
Jun 11, 2012, 03:11 PM

This... pretty much sums it up.

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 03:11 PM
:rolleyes: yea thats what I thought! Well do you like something that is build in or something optional that you have to open everytime you boot your system up, so that it can load into sign in mode?

Anyways does skype stay sign in after you close the app on ios, android, and windows phone? Or it has a period of time like yahoo messenger and others before you have to click on the app to open it again!

It uses push notifications to tell you about an incoming call.

Seems like FaceTime over 3G would eat a lot of data especially on LTE.

I there'll be something special that will work only with the new iPhone and we won't see it till this fall. At least I hope so.

I see you have an SIII. How do you like it? You can PM so as not to derail this thread.

It's actually not that bad, at least if it's similar in data usage to Skype. I spoke to my girlfriend for half an hour on 3G and it barely made a dent in her data usage. Can't remember the exact figures now.

nickn
Jun 11, 2012, 03:12 PM
Two words come to mind... Miserable failure...

Jordan921
Jun 11, 2012, 03:17 PM
I actually like it. New maps is nice. No need to have tomtom or navigon anymore.

DDustiNN
Jun 11, 2012, 03:50 PM
There are 3 very simple things I want, and the main reason I jailbreak:

Contact photos displayed when viewing contact list
Contact photos displayed when viewing messages list
QuickReply to text messages
Come on, Apple... the simplest things that were on my Android years ago, yet I have to jailbreak my iPhone just to get them...

/sigh :confused:

At least we're finally getting turn-by-turn navigation I guess (which I also had my Android phone). I hope it's at least as good as Google Maps though, since that one is nearly untouchable IMO.

iammike1
Jun 11, 2012, 03:53 PM
One word. Disappointment.

waltercln
Jun 11, 2012, 05:16 PM
what a huge yawn. First this wasn't even a major overhaul like IOS 5 last year. Only thing decent was maps, but i had these features years ago, it's like apple takes years to catch up. WOW finally i can attach a file through the mail app? you finally let me have this privilege? even though every other platform has been doing this since forever. It's ridiculous really. Lots of these "new features" have been on jailbroken phones. I'm almost sure apple is too lazy to innovate with IOS so they let others do it and just officially release it as new features. I'm super glad i stuck with my new iPad and sold the 4S. Also I'm glad Apple reassures me that the i5 will be nothing special. I like my setup with GS3 and the iPad, I get the best of both, which in my opinion tablets are better done by apple, but google does the phones better. Huge let down with IOS6 but good thing i wasn't expecting much.

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 05:18 PM
what a huge yawn. First this wasn't even a major overhaul like IOS 5 last year. Only thing decent was maps, but i had these features years ago, it's like apple takes years to catch up. WOW finally i can attach a file through the mail app? you finally let me have this privilege? even though every other platform has been doing this since forever. It's ridiculous really, and I'm super glad i stuck with my new iPad and sold the 4S. Also I'm glad Apple reassures me that the i5 will be nothing special. I like my setup with GS3 and the iPad, I get the best of both, which in my opinion tablets are better done by apple, but google does the phones better. Huge let down with IOS6 but good thing i wasn't expecting much.

I could copy and paste your post as my own.. I agree with everything you said, other than I thought Apple might actually try this time as they have some fierce competition, but alas...

cynics
Jun 11, 2012, 05:32 PM
I'll certainly take it but I'm definitely not blown away by it.

I keep my iPhone tethered to a tablet so I can enjoy LTE speeds when I'm on the road. FaceTime is a data hog, I'm sure apple will use better compression or less quality when used over 3G. Sometimes it would be glitchy for the opposite end if my data sent dropped below 1.5 mbs.

Turn by turn, while a welcome feature I have an app for that if I need it.

Siri, if they make it as useful as google voice action AND keep its current ability to understand what you are talking about that would be sweet. Seems VA can do everything I ask while Siri just sends texts and gives directions.

Was really hoping for a major overall though.

cwosigns
Jun 11, 2012, 06:31 PM
I think the "disappointment" is really related to the leveling off of innovation. I don't think it's a symptom of Apple or Google resting on their laurels. I think it's just a symptom of the fact that the rate of hardware and technological advances is decreasing.

Think back to 2007 when the iPhone was released. The mobile landscape looked VERY different. There were no entirely touch screen devices. Each subsequent hardware and OS release saw the inclusion of some very exciting features (software and hardware), things we'd never seen on mobile phones before.

Google and Apple have reached a level of technological advancement in such a short span of time that newer technologies...newer ideas...are not able to keep pace. Simply put, the conception-to-production time frame for really revolutionary hardware (and software to utilize it) exceeds the product cycles for most consumer electronics. We had a brief period where the cycles were more in sync, and it felt like each subsequent release was a leap forward. Until the next great technologic breakthrough (displays, batteries, communications), each product release is going to seem incremental.

Just my humble opinion.

moonman239
Jun 11, 2012, 06:44 PM
I'm perfectly happy with what features iOS6 has. FaceTime over 3G is nice. So is the ability to get turn-by-turn directions. What I've also wanted was the ability to allow certain numbers to call me. My only complaint thus far is that Siri's voice is weird.

mncmoore
Jun 11, 2012, 08:41 PM
I'm happy with it. But it's not as huge as ios5