PDA

View Full Version : Apple Launches New 'Maps' App in iOS 6, Includes Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Real-Time Traffic, 3D Maps

MacRumors
Jun 11, 2012, 01:57 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/apple-launches-new-maps-app-in-ios-6-includes-turn-by-turn-navigation-real-time-traffic-3d-maps/)

Apple today introduced a new Maps application (http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/maps/) in iOS 6 that will replace Google Maps as the default mapping application on the iPhone and iPad. It was designed by Apple from the ground up with all cartography done in-house.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/mapslogo.jpg

Included in Maps are turn-by-turn directions that work with Siri, local search with 100 million business listings from around the world, Yelp integration, a free crowd-sourced traffic service, and 3D mapping with a Google Earth-like feature called 'Flyover'.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/trafficview.jpg

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/turnbyturnnav.jpg

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/flyover.jpg

Maps will ship with iOS 6 later this fall.

Article Link: Apple Launches New 'Maps' App in iOS 6, Includes Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Real-Time Traffic, 3D Maps (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/apple-launches-new-maps-app-in-ios-6-includes-turn-by-turn-navigation-real-time-traffic-3d-maps/)

diamond.g
Jun 11, 2012, 01:58 PM
I am curious to know if they stuck with Waze for the traffic crowd sourcing.

basesloaded190
Jun 11, 2012, 01:59 PM
I assume, but didn't hear anything, that you can use this without having a wireless connection like you can with every other GPS app?

That was the one downside of Google Maps, was the necessity of having a decent signal.

nepalisherpa
Jun 11, 2012, 02:00 PM
I wonder if the "Do Not Disturb" feature works with iMessage also.

----------

I assume, but didn't hear anything, that you can use this without having a wireless connection like you can with every other GPS app?

That was the one downside of Google Maps, was the necessity of having a decent signal.

I do not think Map data is stored on the phone, so, yes, you will need to have an internet connection. I wonder if you can pre-cache map.

sbrhwkp3
Jun 11, 2012, 02:02 PM
I wonder if the "Do Not Disturb" feature works with iMessage also.

----------

I do not think Map data is stored on the phone, so, yes, you will need to have an internet connection. I wonder if you can pre-cache map.

Pre-caching would be nice, but still doesn't address the issue of a wrong turn.

CJM
Jun 11, 2012, 02:02 PM
Who wants to bet that support for this outside America is going to be awful?

tigress666
Jun 11, 2012, 02:04 PM
Pre-caching would be nice, but still doesn't address the issue of a wrong turn.

I think Google has addressed this last week on their map improvement announcement (being able to download sections of map).

That is definitely something Apple needs to do before I completely replace Navigon with their app.

dubnde
Jun 11, 2012, 02:05 PM
Been waiting for this for some time. Let us see how good it is on the iPhone 4. Hopefully you can take it offline.

Xeem
Jun 11, 2012, 02:06 PM
I'm more than a little annoyed that the iPhone 3GS gets this update, but my iPad1 doesn't.

jasonxneo
Jun 11, 2012, 02:06 PM
the new Maps app looks very good! :)

Z400Racer37
Jun 11, 2012, 02:07 PM
Bye bye Waze

miles01110
Jun 11, 2012, 02:07 PM

Judging by the Keynote, support for this outside of San Francisco is probably going to be awful.

numlock
Jun 11, 2012, 02:08 PM

would be surprised if it isnt pretty bad from the get go

Elven
Rather pleased by this update, am wondering if we will see Siri on the iPad 3 though.

olowott
Siri is looking Good;)

tbobmccoy
Been waiting for this for some time. Let us see how good it is on the iPhone 4. Hopefully you can take it offline.

I'm sadly betting since the Turm by turn uses Siri, that the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS will be left out of the loop here. I'm betting 4S and e new iPhone in the fall will have the turn by turn available :(

olowott
Jun 11, 2012, 02:09 PM
Rather pleased by this update, am wondering if we will see Siri on the iPad 3 though.

Yep, ipad 3 gets it:) but the awesome classic iPad 2 doesn't :(

For now;)

bushido
Jun 11, 2012, 02:10 PM
pathetic update in my opinion, i know i'll get downvoted for that but i'll give you my reason.

all those "incredible" new features are just partnerships with other big companies and thats not what apple used to stand for. such a sell out :(

Yelp Yelp Yelp, Facebook, Twitter, did i mention Yelp? and Airlines
... SAD

it shows with those new siri commands "where does the movie xy play?" "heres a list of theaters ... by YELP" seriously, thats what they could come up with after all those months? how about implementing something thats actually useful to the USER like lets say "siri turn off wifi"

those features are also too focused on the US because you guessed it those "partnerships" and omg a "wallet app" like there arent tons like this already at the app store

and still no notification center api for the devs .... the not center looks just SAD and empty on the iPad.

this whole thing reminds me of Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook: "you are a customer and you can connect with people" which translates to "you are our product and we sell you to other companies"

those new features (id rather call them "improvements") on iOS6 are simply a platform to "sell" and just wrapped around and covered up nicely (again, a "like button" at the appstore proves this)

guch20

I believe they announced that we will.

starlight0229
I'm sadly betting since the Turm by turn uses Siri, that the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS will be left out of the loop here. I'm betting 4S and e new iPhone in the fall will have the turn by turn available :(

You're correct. From the fine print here: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/maps/ "Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas. Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply.
Siri will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply."

zin

If you check the iOS 6 preview page on the Apple website, there is a Siri section, and it shows Siri working on the third generation iPad, with the Siri dialogue appearing to the right.

bogg
Jun 11, 2012, 02:11 PM
3D view = Swedish software at its finest :)
(C3 that built the technology was a swedish spinoff from the swedish defence contractor Saab if I remember correctly)

Xultar

What gps mapping apps can you use without a wireless connection? All the GPS apps I know require a signal.
GPS doesn't work without a signal right? :confused:

Watabou
I am frankly astonished that the 3GS got this update. Thanks Apple! :)

Look at the detail on the new maps though. It's amazing! Not at all sorry to see google maps go after I saw that. Very happy about the built in turn by turn navigation.

Scott90

True, from the Apple website: Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas. Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply.

npggirl
Jun 11, 2012, 02:12 PM

For now;)
Which I found to be odd, considering the iPad 2 is only, what, a year and a half old?
I chose to wait for the 'next' iPad. I can no longer afford to upgrade my phone AND iPad every year they bring out a new one. haha...

guch20
Jun 11, 2012, 02:12 PM
pathetic update in my opinion, i know i'll get downvoted for that but i'll give you my reason.

all those "incredible" new features are just cooperation programs with other big companies and thats not what apple used to stand for. such a sell out :(

Yelp Yelp Yelp, Facebook, Twitter, did i mention Yeld? and Airlines
... SAD

it shows with those new siri commands "where does the movie xy play?" "heres a list of theaters ... by YELP" seriously, thats what they could come up with after all those months? how about implementing something thats actually useful to the USER like lets say "siri turn off wifi"

and still no notification center api for the devs .... the not center looks just SAD on the iPad.

Yes, integration is a terrible thing.

Also, there were more than just cooperation features announced. And don't forget, the biggest feature of the iPhone 4S (for many), Siri, wasn't announced at WWDC last year. It was announced at the unveiling of the iPhone 4S. So there's more to come, I'm sure.

tbobmccoy
Jun 11, 2012, 02:13 PM
You're correct. From the fine print here: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/maps/ "Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas. Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply.
Siri will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply."

Yeah thought so. I'll be using my iPad in the car tethered to my iPhone for Siri/turn by turn :)

Of course, this fall I'll probably be getting the new iPhone anyway ;)

Examinus
What gps mapping apps can you use without a wireless connection? All the GPS apps I know require a signal.

TomTom.

*Calypso*
Glad to see that iOS now comes with an on-board turn-by-turn navigation. But what about offline caching? To me map and navigation software makes the most sense when it doesn't require a constant internet connection, as I would primarily use it when I'm abroad. I hope this is some of the unmentioned features or will be implemented later. It should be easy to cache a few cities or even a whole country on a 32 or 64 GB iPhone.

avanpelt
Is iOS 6 going to have complete feature compatibility with the iPhone 4? I missed that in the coverage if it was mentioned.

Elven

For now;)

Can't wait then :D wonder if Mountain Lion will bring support to my iMac:apple:

basesloaded190
Jun 11, 2012, 02:14 PM

Most have pre-downloaded maps so no cellular connection is necessary.

tigress666

I think he was talking about having wi-fi or Cellular data.

And for that I can say Navigon, Tomtom, garmin, or any app that lets you store the maps on your phone.

If you have to get the maps online, you're screwed if you don't have wi-fi or cellular.

And you are right on a technicality, yes, GPS uses signal. But honestly, it's pretty obvious when some one says wireless connection they are talking about something that connects them to the internet.

atticus27
this looks sick, turn by turn is the only android feature I envied

basesloaded190
Jun 11, 2012, 02:15 PM
I think he was talking about having wi-fi or Cellular data.

And for that I can say Navigon, Tomtom, garmin, or any app that lets you store the maps on your phone.

If you have to get the maps online, you're screwed if you don't have wi-fi or cellular.

And you are right on a technicality, yes, GPS uses signal. But honestly, it's pretty obvious when some one says wireless connection they are talking about something that connects them to the internet.

Yes, that's what I was talking about. Obviously you need a GPS connection, but not having to rely on a cell connection or wi-fi connection is huge.

skillwill
Jun 11, 2012, 02:15 PM
Glad they left Google

macnerd77
Jun 11, 2012, 02:16 PM
iOS 6 looks sexy! Siri is my new BFF. :D

crs.one
Jun 11, 2012, 02:18 PM
Which I found to be odd, considering the iPad 2 is only, what, a year and a half old?
I chose to wait for the 'next' iPad. I can no longer afford to upgrade my phone AND iPad every year they bring out a new one. haha...

There was a report that the iPhone 4s has a chip with better capability of hearing dictation, which was a major reason why Siri wasn't backwards compatible. I would guess the same about the iPad 2

Stella
Jun 11, 2012, 02:19 PM
This looks good, overall. Not sure about the traffic crowd sourcing.

Biggest question I have: Will turn by turn be US only?

If the maps are online only, I'd rather stay with Navigon.

guch20
Jun 11, 2012, 02:20 PM
I reckon I'm watching different keynotes to everyone else ... I never slate Apple and hate coming on here everytime there's an update to hear people moaning. The one time I look forward to it, everyone's on here praising it. I think this update is worrying - to me this could be iOS 5.5, if the iPhone 4S isn't an iPhone 5, this isn't worth a whole numerical jump either. Unless you have unlimited data to use FaceTime, unlimited battery to go anywhere that you would actually need to use a map to get to or are planning on getting a new car it's not exciting at all.

Yeah, every phone that uses maps and video calls have huge, unlimited batteries and unlimited data (although Sprint actually does, so...).

These features give the iPhone some features other phones have had for a while, and gives new features that no phone has. It's a good thing.

Plus, don't forget that Apple didn't announce Siri until the unveiling of the iPhone 4S, so there's good reason to think that they have a few more big features they'll be announcing when they show off their next iPhone.

----------

This looks good, overall. Not sure about the traffic crowd sourcing.

Biggest question: Will turn by turn be US only?

Probably, at first.

*Calypso*
Jun 11, 2012, 02:21 PM
And don't forget, the biggest feature of the iPhone 4S (for many), Siri, wasn't announced at WWDC last year. It was announced at the unveiling of the iPhone 4S. So there's more to come, I'm sure.

Because iOS 5 didn't allow developers to make use of Siri anyway. So why ruin the surprise and reveal it at a developer's conference.

To be honest, I am rather surprised Apple didn't prepare developers for the different resolution the iPhone 5 will necessarily have to have. It will probably be like with the iPhone 4, they announce the new screen size the day it comes out, say that all Apple Apps are ready for it and encourage developers to fix their Apps as soon as possible. I mean, they didn't officially forewarn OS X developers (except for Adobe apparently) that their Apps will look pixelated on the Retina MBP from today, did they?

Navdakilla
Jun 11, 2012, 02:22 PM

It will probably run soo slow that you will want to upgrade anyways

jonnysods
Jun 11, 2012, 02:23 PM
Looking forward to using the new Maps, but I have a feeling that it won't be that great for Canada. Sticking to Navigon for now, unless they have a cached version for when I venture to the US.

Watabou
Jun 11, 2012, 02:24 PM
It will probably run soo slow that you will want to upgrade anyways

Yeah I want to upgrade too. As soon as the new iPhone arrives...

nepalisherpa
Jun 11, 2012, 02:25 PM

Look at the detail on the new maps though. It's amazing! Not at all sorry to see google maps go after I saw that. Very happy about the built in turn by turn navigation.

You do have to realize that some of the major features such as Maps (turn-by-turn), Siri improvements, and Facetime improvements won't be available for 3GS. In another words, iOS 6 will technically be similar to iOS 5. That is why it is still supported.

Sensation
Jun 11, 2012, 02:26 PM
Google must be laughing at this amateur effort, the maps look so bad lol.

Electric turd
Jun 11, 2012, 02:27 PM
Kind of pathetic if you ask me. I had the Iphone 3g, left it to get the driod which had built in navigation in 2009/10. I came back to the iphone 4 in the spring of 2011. So here I am in 2012 with a phone that doesnt have built in nav because its out dated? Thanks APPLE!!! Dont get me wrong I like this phone a lot but this is ridiculous.

Oletros
Jun 11, 2012, 02:28 PM
If this is the Maps apps that would blow Google Maps I have missed something

StyxMaker

I'm using Navigon, it downloads maps to your device and does not require a data connection to work.

TC03
I just hope Google will offer their map services in a standalone app.

Cod3rror
Jun 11, 2012, 02:29 PM
Glad they left Google

Exactly why?

Xultar
Jun 11, 2012, 02:29 PM
TomTom.

That's cool. Wow are there any others?

I was unaware u can use the GPS satellites without a signal. I have navigon and it requires a signal. IT will do some simulation thing without a signal but it isn't using GPS.

guch20
Jun 11, 2012, 02:30 PM
Because iOS 5 didn't allow developers to make use of Siri anyway. So why ruin the surprise and reveal it at a developer's conference.

To be honest, I am rather surprised Apple didn't prepare developers for the different resolution the iPhone 5 will necessarily have to have. It will probably be like with the iPhone 4, they announce the new screen size the day it comes out, say that all Apple Apps are ready for it and encourage developers to fix their Apps as soon as possible. I mean, they didn't officially forewarn OS X developers (except for Adobe apparently) that their Apps will look pixelated on the Retina MBP from today, did they?

They said Diablo 3 is Retina ready, so I'm assuming developers were warned. If not all, some.

Portaluk
Jun 11, 2012, 02:30 PM
Will the turn by turn be available in the UK?

basesloaded190
Jun 11, 2012, 02:32 PM

I was unaware u can use the GPS satellites without a signal. I have navigon and it requires a signal. IT will do some simulation thing without a signal but it isn't using GPS.

I don't think it does. Don't you just download the maps and use the phone's GPS connection and not need a cellular connection?

hamy89
Jun 11, 2012, 02:32 PM
"Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas. Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply."

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/maps/

:(

TC03
Jun 11, 2012, 02:33 PM

I was unaware u can use the GPS satellites without a signal. I have navigon and it requires a signal. IT will do some simulation thing without a signal but it isn't using GPS.???

If you download maps from the internet while you're using it, like Google Maps, you'll need a 3G signal.

If you want to know where you are, you need a GPS-signal.

Two completely different things.

*Calypso*

Cellular connection helps to get a GPS signal quicker, but the GPS obviously works on it's own. How else would standalone navigation devices or navigation systems of airplanes work? :rolleyes:

guch20

Oh, you were at WWDC and saw the keynote? You got to try it? Or are you just trolling?

Shearwater
Disappointing and pretty featureless if you don't have 4s and new iPad......and you live outside of USA

Oletros
Jun 11, 2012, 02:34 PM

You don't need a cellular signal to have GPS reception

Cougarcat
"Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas. Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply."

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/maps/

:(

Flyover I can understand, but turn-by-turn? How can that not run on the iPhone 4?

Vizin

Electric turd
Jun 11, 2012, 02:35 PM
Flyover I can understand, but turn-by-turn? How can that not run on the iPhone 4?

Like I said earlier. I came from the first droid to my IP4 in the spring of 11. My droid had excellent Turn by Turn. This is ridiculous!!

guch20
Jun 11, 2012, 02:38 PM

No Siri.

LagunaSol
Jun 11, 2012, 02:46 PM
all those "incredible" new features are just partnerships with other big companies and thats not what apple used to stand for. such a sell out :(

... SAD

You'd rather they pull a Google by freezing out established players and starting their own half-baked equivalents (Google+, etc.)?

I like Yelp. Everyone is on Facebook. Why not support these existing services?

cfc
Jun 11, 2012, 02:46 PM
The fact that it uses a vector based engine sounds interesting. I wonder if that means that instead of using raster tiles they now send the raw data to the phone, which then draws the map perfectly for the scale being shown, rather than stretching or squeezing a raster tile to fit.

This sounds a much better approach that should mean crisp maps at whatever scale rather than clarity being dependent upon how close the screen scale is to the tile scale.

It also offers the possibility of doing all sorts of clever things. For example with text positioning you could ensure that text is never partially off-screen, or move it to avoid being obscured by an annotation.

It might take some getting used to for users if some text moves as they pan, but it could be very handy. There are probably a lot of things like this that become possible with a vector based approach.

So even if it doesn't seem brilliant at first the fact that it has been completely rewritten should provide the flexibility to allow for some pretty clever things in the future. Hopefully.

charlituna
Jun 11, 2012, 02:47 PM

And Googles demo crashed repeatedly, so I'd say they're square

guch20
Jun 11, 2012, 02:47 PM
Like I said earlier. I came from the first droid to my IP4 in the spring of 11. My droid had excellent Turn by Turn. This is ridiculous!!

There are plenty of turn-by-turn apps you can download (some for free) to hold you over until it's time for you to upgrade your phone. It's not that big a deal. I mean, I know it sucks, but it's not life-altering.

Kyrra
Jun 11, 2012, 02:51 PM
And Googles demo crashed repeatedly, so I'd say they're square

Did Apple live-demo their maps?

guch20
Jun 11, 2012, 02:52 PM
Did Apple live-demo their maps?

Yes.

i.mac
Jun 11, 2012, 02:52 PM

Siri.

Electric turd
Jun 11, 2012, 02:53 PM
There are plenty of turn-by-turn apps you can download (some for free) to hold you over until it's time for you to upgrade your phone. It's not that big a deal. I mean, I know it sucks, but it's not life-altering.

Its not really about the navi. I use navigon but I think its ridiculous how they justify having to but a new phone. These "features" have been on other phones for years. Hell 5 years ago I had a LG Dare (dont laugh) and it had turn by turn. See what I mean?

bushido
Jun 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
You'd rather they pull a Google by freezing out established players and starting their own half-baked equivalents (Google+, etc.)?

I like Yelp. Everyone is on Facebook. Why not support these existing services?

id rather have them work on usability instead of adding random apps, yep ...

its 2012 and you still cannot turn off wifi/bluetooth from the homescreen or notification center for example.
the notification center on the iPad literally SCREAMS improvements as there isnt even weather to show so it looks very "un-apple".

and siri is still a "toy" to show off, they need to add more usability related commands

and here i thought iOS6 would stop me from jailbreaking ...

i.mac
Jun 11, 2012, 02:58 PM

Google feels so threatened and uneased that the had the erge to upstage apple last Friday. With a pathetic and unprofessional 'me-too' performance. Reminds me of old Steve from ms presenting 'windoze tablets' back in 2010.

Sensation
Jun 11, 2012, 02:59 PM
Oh, you were at WWDC and saw the keynote? You got to try it? Or are you just trolling?

I saw the pictures of the maps and they look crap. Maps are kind of things you look at lol. Google Win Again.

----------

Google feels so threatened and uneased that the had the erge to upstage apple last Friday. With a pathetic and unprofessional 'me-too' performance. Reminds me of old Steve from ms presenting 'windoze tablets' back in 2010.

They didnt need to worry, Apples maps look terrible.

Cougarcat
Siri.

I don't see why that should be a requirement. Turn-by-turn is essentially an automatic version of step-by-step directions we have now.

It makes no difference to me, though, as I'll be upgrading to the new iPhone.

Saladinos

GPS uses satellites (basic huge clocks in space). It doesn't require an Internet connection itself. You can calculate your coordinates completely offline (but within sight of a couple of satellites).

Offline use has fewer and fewer real uses, and it takes lots of space (although vector maps should be much smaller). They can always cache an area of a few miles surrounding your route, which ought to be fine for wrong-turns (in fact, I'd expect them to do this). They can also cache if you're on roaming but connected to wifi, or use other such heuristics to provide a seamless experience.

Tomtom ought to be worried. As had navigon. This means that basically all smartphones out there now ship with high-quality TBT navigation for free, out-of-the-box. Consumers spoke: they wanted better quality experiences and weren't prepared to pay the exorbitant costs of dinosaur companies trying to protect satnav revenue, thereby forcing new entrants in to the market (in this case, those that had most to gain: the OS vendors themselves). Consumers win.

SilentLoner
Jun 11, 2012, 03:01 PM

its 2012 and you still cannot turn off wifi/bluetooth from the homescreen or notification center for example.
the notification center on the iPad literally SCREAMS improvements as there isnt even weather to show so it looks very "un-apple".

and siri is still a "toy" to show off, they need to add more usability related commands

You are Always so negative!!

ValerieDurden
Jun 11, 2012, 03:03 PM
This is stupid, can't get fly over or turn by turn directions on my iPhone 4 what the hell is the point of iOS 6 then? the iPhone 4 is more than capable of handling it.

JHankwitz
Jun 11, 2012, 03:05 PM

I suppose you would like to have them hold it from the market until every nook and cranny is covered? I'd rather get it ASAP and release updates as it's developed for the rest of the world.

Howardchief
Jun 11, 2012, 03:05 PM

... SAD

those features are also too focused on the US because you guessed it those "partnerships" and omg a "wallet app" like there arent tons like this already at the app store

and still no notification center api for the devs .... the not center looks just SAD and empty on the iPad.

this whole thing reminds me of Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook: "you are a customer and you can connect with people" which translates to "you are our product and we sell you to other companies"

those new features (id rather call them "improvements") on iOS6 are simply a platform to "sell" and just wrapped around and covered up nicely (again, a "like button" at the appstore proves this)

I like these changes. But I completely agree with the bolded. It would be wonderful to even say "Siri, mute iphone... Siri, decrease lighting 80%.."

Once my iphone (and Siri) is tied into my home thermal controls (NEST thermostat) and lighting (still to come...) I can say.. "Siri.. Turn down the ambient lighting 40%... Siri, it's too damn cold in here..." I think progress like this comes after the progress you mentioned in bold happens first.

We're so close to living on the Enterprise.

kockgunner
Jun 11, 2012, 03:06 PM
Not for iPhone 4? So basically I get a less tried-and-true Apple version of Google maps without the new features? What else does iOS 6 bring for us non iPhone 4S users then?

kayloh20
Jun 11, 2012, 03:10 PM

Aside from pre caching, it's highly unlikely this will be the case for a long, long time...GPS applications only have certain countries depending on which you purchased due to the size of the files..this is supposed to be a universal Maps application...I don't think Apple will preload like 20 GB of map data. Even if Apple preloaded data based on purchase location, I don't think people would appreciate the 3 GB OS download as well as the extra space being taken up unless they have a choice.

Renzatic
Jun 11, 2012, 03:12 PM
If this is the Maps apps that would blow Google Maps I have missed something

I know English isn't your first language, so you've got an excuse. But...

You might want to add "out of the water" after "Google Maps" there. Just sayin is all.

bushido
You are Always so negative!!

well i'm german :p

tigress666
Tomtom ought to be worried. As had navigon. This means that basically all smartphones out there now ship with high-quality TBT navigation for free, out-of-the-box. Consumers spoke: they wanted better quality experiences and weren't prepared to pay the exorbitant costs of dinosaur companies trying to protect satnav revenue, thereby forcing new entrants in to the market (in this case, those that had most to gain: the OS vendors themselves). Consumers win.

I'm sorry, I still like having the maps on my phone. Especially when I'm doing long road trips that go into many areas that don't have cellphone coverage. Apple and google's stuff is fine for in the city and short trips. But if you do any long driving or like to go out to more natural areas (like for hiking or other stuff), it's useless if you can't get the map or even download the map of a large area, not just small areas around. Or if you want to be able to randomly explore, your idea of only having a small cache of what's around kills the ability to explore and if you truly get lost know that your GPS can get you back.

guch20
Jun 11, 2012, 03:13 PM
I saw the pictures of the maps and they look crap. Maps are kind of things you look at lol. Google Win Again.

----------

They didnt need to worry, Apples maps look terrible.

I totally disagree. I thought their maps looked amazing.

JHankwitz
Jun 11, 2012, 03:14 PM
This is stupid, can't get fly over or turn by turn directions on my iPhone 4 what the hell is the point of iOS 6 then? the iPhone 4 is more than capable of handling it.

iOS 6 is being created for the latest equipment, just as you can only get Thunderbolt on the latest equipment or automatic parallel parking on the latest Fords. If you design new features that will work on legacy products, you can't make it as good as they can be. It's like trying to win a sailboat race while dragging an anchor behind you. If you want to be in the lead, you have to remove the restrictions.

tigress666
Jun 11, 2012, 03:15 PM

It is? My iPhone 4 is having problems being laggy with just the current OS. There are games I don't even bother trying to play with it cause it freaks out and has to pause way too much.

I really don't see it doing the 3D map, especially if it has to render as it goes (and it sounds like that is what they are having it do) very well at all. In this case I am actually wondering if this will be like back when they allowed iOS 4 on the 3G, where people whined the 3G could handle the features they weren't going to support on the 3G before it was out, and then you heard all the whining about how even with the handicapped iOS 4 they let on 3G how slow and laggy it was on iOS4 (so slow and laggy it was unusable. Of which I was totally not surprised cause my 3G was getting laggy even on iOS 3. Still usable but very noticeable. Kinda like my iPhone 4 is now on iOS 5). And then apple just did what they should have in the first place, stopped supporting the 3G cause it obviously couldn't handle it.

Anyways I plan on using my upgrade when the new iphone comes out. And I'll be hoping to see a good spec bump despite people sticking their nose up at it. The 3G and the 4 didn't get great processor speed upgrades and they seem to have gone irrelevant quicker (as I said, my 4 is acting like my 3G did before the new phone came out) and the 3GS and I am betting 4S seem to be staying relevant a lot longer and they got pretty good processor bumps.

Oletros
Jun 11, 2012, 03:16 PM
I know English isn't your first language, so you've got an excuse. But...

You might want to add "out of the water" after "Google Maps" there. Just sayin is all.

Renzatic
Jun 11, 2012, 03:16 PM
iOS 6 is being created for the latest equipment, just as you can only get Thunderbolt on the latest equipment or automatic parallel parking on the latest Fords. If you design new features that will work on legacy products, you can't make it as good as they can be. It's like trying to win a sailboat race while dragging an anchor behind you. If you want to be in the lead, you have to remove the restrictions.

Turn by turn navigation doesn't need the latest and greatest hardware around. Hell, cheesy $150 GPS units have had it since years ago.

surma884
Jun 11, 2012, 03:18 PM
This sounds good. Hopefully they keep updating their maps and the turn by turn nav is good. Can't wait for the next iPhone. I'm long overdue for an upgrade.

BornAgainMac
Jun 11, 2012, 03:20 PM
The street view will be missed. But I am open to this new map app. I would like to see the Google version available to download too. I think getting turn by turn was the biggest advantage along with Siri integration.

diamond.g
Jun 11, 2012, 03:21 PM
Bye bye Waze
Did they mention the ability to point out cops and accidents with iOS Maps?

surma884
Jun 11, 2012, 03:22 PM
Turn by turn navigation doesn't need the latest and greatest hardware around. Hell, cheesy $150 GPS units have had it since years ago.

In this case turn by turn nav is tied with Siri, and since Siri was the selling point for the 4S they are not going give Siri to the iPhone 4 users. iPhone 4 users should be ready for a 2 year upgrade from their cell phone providers.

dwhittington
Jun 11, 2012, 03:22 PM
RIP Tom Tom app. I no longer have the need to purchase your app or the lousy traffic service.

vertigo235
Jun 11, 2012, 03:23 PM
The fact that it uses a vector based engine sounds interesting. I wonder if that means that instead of using raster tiles they now send the raw data to the phone, which then draws the map perfectly for the scale being shown, rather than stretching or squeezing a raster tile to fit.

This sounds a much better approach that should mean crisp maps at whatever scale rather than clarity being dependent upon how close the screen scale is to the tile scale.

It also offers the possibility of doing all sorts of clever things. For example with text positioning you could ensure that text is never partially off-screen, or move it to avoid being obscured by an annotation.

It might take some getting used to for users if some text moves as they pan, but it could be very handy. There are probably a lot of things like this that become possible with a vector based approach.

So even if it doesn't seem brilliant at first the fact that it has been completely rewritten should provide the flexibility to allow for some pretty clever things in the future. Hopefully.

Agreed, should make it much easier to cache and save the maps as well. I'm hoping that maps will be cached localaly to prevent data usage. Since it's vector data it shouldn't require to redownload at each zoom level etc.

surma884
Jun 11, 2012, 03:23 PM
The street view will be missed. But I am open to this new map app. I would like to see the Google version available to download too. I think getting turn by turn was the biggest advantage along with Siri integration.

Maybe Google will release a turn by turn nav app for iOS now. That would be good competition.

JHankwitz
Jun 11, 2012, 03:25 PM

Do people feel that the auto companies expect you to upgrade your car to get the new features every year? I don't think so, just as I don't think Apple expects users to upgrade more often than they can afford.

surma884
Jun 11, 2012, 03:26 PM

This is great. Another benefit of vector data is the smaller file size compared to raster images. Which means you can store the map on your device so you don't need to have a cell phone signal. The only downside is the rendering of vector data will use more power (battery).

VinceBognot
Jun 11, 2012, 03:27 PM
This is crazy. I use Google Maps for Transit directions, and now I hear that the new Apple Maps not have support for Transit nor Walking directions! Prediction for iOS7 in 2013: Transit and Walking Directions will be available on Apple Maps! lolwhatfail.

vertigo235
Jun 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
This is great. Another benefit of vector data is the smaller file size compared to raster images. Which means you can store the map on your device so you don't need to have a cell phone signal. The only downside is the rendering of vector data will use more power (battery).

Which I don't care about when I'm in the car (usually with a charger)

----------

This is crazy. I use Google Maps for Transit directions, and now I hear that the new Apple Maps not have support for Transit nor Walking directions! Prediction for iOS7 in 2013: Transit and Walking Directions will be available on Apple Maps! lolwhatfail.

I was worried about this, I also use the current maps app for this.

I guess I'll just have to use Google's inevitable stand alone app for that (I'm OK with this)

wovel
Jun 11, 2012, 03:32 PM
I'm more than a little annoyed that the iPhone 3GS gets this update, but my iPad1 doesn't.

3GS is still being made and sold...

Xultar
Jun 11, 2012, 03:35 PM
GPS uses satellites (basic huge clocks in space). It doesn't require an Internet connection itself. You can calculate your coordinates completely offline (but within sight of a couple of satellites).

Offline use has fewer and fewer real uses, and it takes lots of space (although vector maps should be much smaller). They can always cache an area of a few miles surrounding your route, which ought to be fine for wrong-turns (in fact, I'd expect them to do this). They can also cache if you're on roaming but connected to wifi, or use other such heuristics to provide a seamless experience.

I have Navigon and they should be worried. Their revenue strategy sucks, Fresh Maps was the last straw for me. Real time rendering hopefully means that they won't be charging for fresh maps or frequently delivered fresh maps. I just hope Apple's offering is more stable

Thanks for the explanation. So, let's say I turn off my phone on the plane in ATL. 5 hrs later I land in SF with no signal. How is TomTom or Navigaon or any GPS app for that matter going to give me a route to the East Bay without a signal?

Lailoken
Jun 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
I think Google has addressed this last week on their map improvement announcement (being able to download sections of map).

That is definitely something Apple needs to do before I completely replace Navigon with their app.

It has been a feature of Labs for a while now... used it loads. Only downside is that a route cannot be recalculated if out of signal areas. I like this competition, for now I'll stick with Android, but kudus to Apple for upping the ante!

vertigo235
Jun 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
I have Navigon and they should be worried. Their revenue strategy sucks, Fresh Maps was the last straw for me. Real time rendering hopefully means that they won't be charging for fresh maps or frequently delivered fresh maps. I just hope Apple's offering is more stable

Thanks for the explanation. So, let's say I turn off my phone on the plane in ATL. 5 hrs later I land in SF with no signal. How is TomTom or Navigaon or any GPS app for that matter going to give me a route to the East Bay without a signal?

All Navigon/TomTom needs is a GPS signal.

basesloaded190
Jun 11, 2012, 03:39 PM

Why don't you have signal in SF? Either way GPS Signal is different than Cell signal. Once Navigon has established it's GPS connection and assuming you already have a SF map downloaded, it will just work.

iMrNiceGuy0023
Jun 11, 2012, 03:41 PM
no more google maps?

calvz
Jun 11, 2012, 03:44 PM

WGAF about turning off wifi? Android has to have that because it's so inefficient and otherwise the battery won't last the day. iOS doesn't have that problem. Adding that feature would only add unnecessary complexity to the OS.

Stella
Jun 11, 2012, 03:46 PM
Seems a bit strange that iPhone 4 won't be getting turn by turn. After all, other navigation apps support iPhone 4 - why won't apple?

Navigon etc won't have to worry about this Apple maps, as long as
1. maps aren't stored on the iphone
2. traffic information is less accurate
3. Apple supporting iPhone 4S and better.
4. No support for turn off road types, i.e., exclude highways, toll roads etc
5. Navigation restricted to US Only
.. plus a whole load of other reasons.

If I'm out of cell phone signal, Apple Maps isn't going to be a lot of use if (1) is applicable.

There's still a place for TomTom and Navigon. Its their business, they will make sure they produce better mapping apps than Apple.

vertigo235
Jun 11, 2012, 03:48 PM
There's still a place for TomTom and Navigon. Its their business, they will make sure they produce better mapping apps than Apple.

People said the same thing about RIM when apple came out with the iPhone.

nec207
Jun 11, 2012, 03:53 PM

There no word from apple if they will support Transit directions or Walking directions is this map thing.

There also no word what city will be supported or any cities out side the US . I would think by next year more maps will be available.

w00master
Jun 11, 2012, 03:58 PM

RIP Tom Tom app. I no longer have the need to purchase your app or the lousy traffic service.

TomTom's not worried:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-tomtom-ios-6-maps/

w00master

tigress666
Jun 11, 2012, 04:02 PM
Navigon etc won't have to worry about this Apple maps, as long as
2. traffic information is less accurate

Your other points are good but I have to just laugh at this one.

I can't imagine anyone having worse traffic info than Navigon. I have yet to see them have any useful traffic info in the first place (seriously, the app seriously has no idea of traffic and yes i paid for the traffic thing. Even when using Navigon I go to Maps to see what traffic looks like and let me tell you, Navigon is hardly ever aware of any bad traffic).

I have had Navigon at least twice try to route me through construction that had closed off a road entirely (one of them was a major highway!). If it can't even predict construction, which is a planned event that people know of ahead of time (vs. an accident that is sudden and surprising), why would I trust that they have any up to date traffic info?

Apple only has to get reasonably close to Google's traffic info to be far far far better than Navigon's.

bushido
Jun 11, 2012, 04:02 PM
WGAF about turning off wifi? Android has to have that because it's so inefficient and otherwise the battery won't last the day. iOS doesn't have that problem. Adding that feature would only add unnecessary complexity to the OS.

so its harder to say "turn off wifi" than to use the settings app and look around. and its not just wifi but also bluetooth etc.

ValerieDurden
Jun 11, 2012, 04:06 PM
It is? My iPhone 4 is having problems being laggy with just the current OS. There are games I don't even bother trying to play with it cause it freaks out and has to pause way too much.

I really don't see it doing the 3D map, especially if it has to render as it goes (and it sounds like that is what they are having it do) very well at all. In this case I am actually wondering if this will be like back when they allowed iOS 4 on the 3G, where people whined the 3G could handle the features they weren't going to support on the 3G before it was out, and then you heard all the whining about how even with the handicapped iOS 4 they let on 3G how slow and laggy it was on iOS4 (so slow and laggy it was unusable. Of which I was totally not surprised cause my 3G was getting laggy even on iOS 3. Still usable but very noticeable. Kinda like my iPhone 4 is now on iOS 5). And then apple just did what they should have in the first place, stopped supporting the 3G cause it obviously couldn't handle it.

Anyways I plan on using my upgrade when the new iphone comes out. And I'll be hoping to see a good spec bump despite people sticking their nose up at it. The 3G and the 4 didn't get great processor speed upgrades and they seem to have gone irrelevant quicker (as I said, my 4 is acting like my 3G did before the new phone came out) and the 3GS and I am betting 4S seem to be staying relevant a lot longer and they got pretty good processor bumps.
My 4 is smooth as can be with games and general iOS performance.

WannaGoMac
Jun 11, 2012, 04:10 PM

The ipad 2 and 3 use the same CPU. I think they will enable siri on ipad 2

----------

Google will make a nice stand alone map app for download. Problem solved.

El Capitano
Jun 11, 2012, 04:11 PM
Tom Tom won't be in the slightest bit worried. They're supplying the map data behind this.

Data coverage includes US, Canada, Europe at least. See credits (http://gspsa21.ls.apple.com/html/attribution.html).

badNameErr
Jun 11, 2012, 04:13 PM
So if it has been removed from maps is it now inaccessible from an iPad? :(

tigress666
Jun 11, 2012, 04:16 PM
My 4 is smooth as can be with games and general iOS performance.

Lucky you. Mine's been worse than my 3G was on teh later versions of iOS3 (where it would be slow to open up apps). My 4 is more annoying, it randomly pauses like it froze, but if I wait it eventually starts doing again. And I have to be even more careful about what is open cause it really can't handle many apps open at once at all (then again I think it's BS claim that iOS task manages well on its own from my experience).

And I know that it was a bit laggy on games even when new (different iphone 4, this is a refurb, the old one the home button died). Do you play the graphic intensive stuff or stuff like Angry Birds?

Electric turd
Jun 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
Google will make a nice stand alone map app for download. Problem solved.

Apple will block it. I just know they will, remember they tell us what we want to have.

w00master
Jun 11, 2012, 04:18 PM
Lucky you. Mine's been worse than my 3G was on teh later versions of iOS3 (where it would be slow to open up apps). My 4 is more annoying, it randomly pauses like it froze, but if I wait it eventually starts doing again. And I have to be even more careful about what is open cause it really can't handle many apps open at once at all (then again I think it's BS claim that iOS task manages well on its own from my experience).

And I know that it was a bit laggy on games even when new (different iphone 4, this is a refurb, the old one the home button died). Do you play the graphic intensive stuff or stuff like Angry Birds?

Hmmmm. Have you thought about takin' yours in? I actually don't have any of the lag problems you mention. Then again - just like any other tech device - YMMV!

w00master

Cybbe
Jun 11, 2012, 04:18 PM
There no word from apple if they will support Transit directions or Walking directions is this map thing.

There also no word what city will be supported or any cities out side the US . I would think by next year more maps will be available.
There was some talk of a Transit API for developers to integrate, colour me skeptic at this point.

kdarling
Jun 11, 2012, 04:20 PM
The fact that it uses a vector based engine sounds interesting.

It is definitely useful, as you pointed out.

Google Maps for mobile has been vector based since version 5 in late 2010, IIRC.

Sometimes the phrase is a bit overused, but this map competition is really going to be good for users.

WannaGoMac
Jun 11, 2012, 04:23 PM
Apple will block it. I just know they will, remember they tell us what we want to have.

Just like apple blocks all the other map apps? Oh wait ... :rolleyes:

Electric turd
Jun 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
'
Thats not the same. Apple is in the fight now. They weren't before.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/28/google_says_its_navigation_will_come_to_iphone_if_apple_approves.html
Ring a bell?

FasterQuieter
Jun 11, 2012, 04:33 PM

I am also dubious about support outside of the big cities of America itself.

As long as Google come out with a standalone app, I can live with whatever Apple deems necessary in this area. I don't want to lose street view, which I only just realized I had.

-cole-
Jun 11, 2012, 04:33 PM
But will there be Street View?

w00master
Jun 11, 2012, 04:34 PM

How? Street View is a Google product.

w00master

toshgiles
Jun 11, 2012, 04:40 PM
Judging by the Keynote, support for this outside of San Francisco is probably going to be awful.

Fine with me, I only use it in SF... haha:D

viewfly
Jun 11, 2012, 04:43 PM
I have been using free Mapquest for turn by turn, and it works very well.

And I'm glad to see Apple do its own maps.

Probably Google management is saying, 'holy shxt'. I bet SJ started Apple maps right after Android was found out by him.

Steve decided to hit Google where it hurts. ;)

w00master
Jun 11, 2012, 04:43 PM
All-

Looks like transit and walking directions are still there:

http://photos.appleinsider.com/maps-120611-3.jpg

w00master

WannaGoMac
Jun 11, 2012, 04:49 PM
'
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/28/google_says_its_navigation_will_come_to_iphone_if_apple_approves.html
Ring a bell?

Nope. A 3 yr old article. Why not wait and see before you complain? Also google maps was updated (very little true in ios 5)

The Mad Hatter
Jun 11, 2012, 04:51 PM
I don't want to lose street view, which I only just realized I had.

Are you referring to the current (5.1.1) IOS "Maps" app? I didn't know it had street-view... I just checked it, and it still doesn't have it. So what are you referring too, and how can you miss something that wasn't there?

surma884
Jun 11, 2012, 04:52 PM

I don't think they can. There is a mail app called Sparrow which is an alternative to the native Mail app. If Apple does block the Google app that will be a dirty move and Google may sue.

crapbag8
Jun 11, 2012, 04:55 PM
Are you referring to the current (5.1.1) IOS "Maps" app? I didn't know it had street-view... I just checked it, and it still doesn't have it. So what are you referring too, and how can you miss something that wasn't there?

It's kind of there. You can drop a pin and then within that, access street view. A bit hard to get to, but it's there.

bankshot
Jun 11, 2012, 04:57 PM

Tap on a pin (hold to drop a new pin anywhere on the map) and then tap on the red "person" icon on the left side of the callout that comes up.

Of course, since Apple doesn't like to write user documentation anymore, I'd guess that many people aren't aware of this feature. It's not exactly obvious, although I'm sure Apple thinks it is... :rolleyes:

cfc
Jun 11, 2012, 05:41 PM
I'm not sure what to make of the new Maps app yet. I like the look of the maps but find them unclear - minor roads are especially hard to make out. I think they need to tweak the colours of the road edges and/or the background colours to make them clearer. And maybe make them more visible at larger scales, especially when there are not a lot of other roads around.

I found that I'd be looking at a large area of green or beige with the barest outlines of roads or paths, but when I zoomed in they would suddenly appear. Although maybe it is just my aging eyesight!

The map data seems very patchy as well (at least for the parts of the UK that I looked at) but hopefully that will improve in time.

Dr McKay
Jun 11, 2012, 05:42 PM

Nokia Drive, you can download the entire map offline, and it requires no data to guide you. Which means you can use it overseas and not switch on your Data.

nec207
Jun 11, 2012, 05:44 PM
How? Street View is a Google product.

w00master

Not if apple is doing thire own Street View by having their own cars drive around and take pictures.

Asclepio
Jun 11, 2012, 05:46 PM

No and they also lost the Steve's View.

LemonsofDeath
Jun 11, 2012, 06:12 PM
Does anyone know if we finally are getting bicycle directions?

That was an annoyting thing that was missing from the iOS google maps even though it was available on other platforms.

Also, thank god Mass Transit Directions are still there, hope its as good as Google Maps was.

28monkeys
Jun 11, 2012, 06:44 PM
This is best news for me.

MacSniss
Jun 11, 2012, 07:08 PM
Anyone decipher the "copyright TomTom" and partnership with TomTom reported here:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/11/first_look_apples_all_new_maps_in_ios_6.html

If you look at the credits in the new Maps app, it appears lots of international data will automatically be carried over from TomTom (and apparently Google credits the same data).

Renzatic
Jun 11, 2012, 07:18 PM
Not if apple is doing thire own Street View by having their own cars drive around and take pictures.

That'd take awhile.

spillproof
Jun 11, 2012, 07:30 PM
Seems great all around, but that cartography is a bit ugly. IMHO.

paulcdb
Jun 11, 2012, 07:43 PM
I am also dubious about support outside of the big cities of America itself.

seems to work in the uk but it's early days yet.

One big bug which i can't check 100% atm but it looks like the directions to turn off the motorway's/dual carriageways here points to the right and not the left.

Will check tomorrow when take a trip up the dual carriageway.

ShiftyPig
Jun 11, 2012, 07:48 PM
What on earth are they going for with that traffic view... it's hideous and confusing.

macbwizard
Jun 11, 2012, 08:04 PM
Re: excluding the iPhone 4

Apple loves to talk about how so many customers are on their newest OS. What they don't say is that a lot of those customers are on a crippled version of the latest OS. At least Android 2.3 has good turn-by-turn directions.

I can't wait until Apple starts doing this with OS X. Can you imagine not having major features unless you have the latest hardware?

cotak
Jun 11, 2012, 08:05 PM
The maps are a bit strange looking. Could just be because we are all used to google's map style. We'll have to wait to see if this map system is any good.

I do think one thing though. What is apple's goal in switching to it's own map? it is because google made android and Apple's still piss for Steve's sakes? Or do they actually have a vision?

I ask this because while google makes money off it's map by having it integrated into their search and advertising system. What does apple gets out of paying to create and maintain the map system? Think about it. Apple's primary income is still hardware. And from a cynical point of view I don't think google would have stop offering their stuff for iOS. Yes there hasn't been turn by turn on iphone yet but we don't know who's decision was it not to offer it from google.

Each person can only handle so many task at the same time. And I think even large companies need to know their limits. At the end of the day company direction needs to be maintained from the top. And if the guys at the top has too many things to think about you can easily get into trouble.

iOS is apple's flagship software product. And this update while interesting does not raises iOS head and shoulder above it's competitors. And those competitors will always roll the ball forward more often than apple, who follows a strict internal cycle.

Could it be that maybe Apple should have concentrated more on core iOS features and leave something that was already good to google? Who was providing it for free anyhow.

taylortm
Jun 11, 2012, 08:10 PM
Siri.

Nope. I don't think we can blame Siri for this one. I'm pretty sure that iPad Deuce is getting Turn-by-Turn. But, alas, iPad Deuce is NOT getting Siri.

paulcdb
Jun 11, 2012, 08:16 PM
Apple loves to talk about how so many customers are on their newest OS. What they don't say is that a lot of those customers are on a crippled version of the latest OS. At least Android 2.3 has good turn-by-turn directions.

I'd bet one of the main reasons for ditching google is probably google refusing to allow turn-by-turn on the iphone, or even updating the app to allow siri to integrate with it, etc

It's easy to blame apple, but at the end of the day no-one knows who's to blame either way but i'm pretty sure apple would've brought it sooner had they been able to.

The new maps looks different but now i might actually start using Siri more!

Force332
Jun 11, 2012, 08:21 PM

This is simply not true. I enjoy my iPhone but this is one area in particular I was surprised they did not make an improvement. There are many of us that would like a much quicker way to do this. There are some tweaks out there that are very well done and if Apple implemented them in a way very similar to those, it would not add any complexity to the OS. Your statements are utterly false.

mikepro
Jun 11, 2012, 08:22 PM
I posted screen shots comparing the new maps app to google maps here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15008020&postcount=1

New maps do NOT look good to me...

macingman
Jun 11, 2012, 08:27 PM
"Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas.

This is the worst bit, Apple can't be seriously considering only mapping the US and Canada. I would imagine that with most of Apple's users being international and also the fact the even if you live in the US the turn by turn directions would be most useful when travelling overseas.

If turn by turn only works in the US it would be ridiculous.

Also g-d knows why Apple won't include international support for Siri location based queries, the companies Apple uses to find places in the US also have restaurants and places mapped out in Australia also. It doesn't make sense.

I'm going to get down voted. But every international Apple user is sick of us being treated like 2nd class citizens who don't deserve the most useful features. Even if Apple only opened this features to the 1st tear of release countries it would probably allow 40% more users to use the feature and that's only 5 or 6 more countries. An easy workload for the biggest company in the world.

/rant

----------

I can't wait until Apple starts doing this with OS X. Can you imagine not having major features unless you have the latest hardware?
Yes but then people would be complaint their devices are running slow. Imagine multitasking on the 3G.

Also Apple's a business they need to encourage people to upgrade to the new OS. Android is not for profit by Google so they don't need to worry about encouraging people to upgrade Google can add in whatever they want and the manufactures worry about that. As long as people are using the phone Google will make money without worrying about upgrading etc.

Hopefully now that Apple is moving away from Google, Apple can start making money from some software features thus reducing the need to encourage us to upgrade hardware. That would be better for everyone.

mrsan
Jun 11, 2012, 08:59 PM
Those of you who have already installed the beta version of iOS 6, can you please tell how is the coverage for maps in countries outside North America and Europe?

I know google has maps with directions in almost the entire world. How is this new map doing outside of North America and Europe?

kjs862
Jun 11, 2012, 09:02 PM
So are we going to see maps.apple.com? If Apple doesn't deliver their maps via web browser, I surely hope I have the option to still use Google's maps.

Wasn't it SJ that said something like we believe in choice?

JS3
Jun 11, 2012, 09:16 PM
What will happen to the current google maps? Will it be replaced with this? Or both will be there?

SactoGuy18
Jun 11, 2012, 09:18 PM
So the map data is coming from TomTom for the iOS 6.0 Maps program.

Question: who will provide the map data for Japan and South Korea? Remember, Zenrin, the largest maker of mapping software in Japan, provides the map data for Google Maps for Japan itself.

Clix Pix
Jun 11, 2012, 09:27 PM
Personally, I could care less about Siri, Twitter and Facebook integration.... This social network emphasis and potential lack of privacy really bothers me. Old fuddy-duddy here! Back to the maps thing: if the new program works without having to use Siri to ask directions, fine. if not, well....for me it's back to Garmin and their Nuvi......

pmz
Jun 11, 2012, 09:51 PM
anyone else not seeing 3D maps anything like what was shown during the keynote and all the screen shots? i see flattened images like before.

Abazigal
Jun 11, 2012, 09:52 PM
No and they also lost the Steve's View.

Which, if Tim's recent interview with D10 was anything to go by, is actually what Steve himself would have wanted.

Steve apparently didn't want people to keep trying to second-guess what a dead person might or would have done in a particular circumstance. He just wants the person in charge to do what they feel is best for the company. :)

Rodimus Prime
Jun 11, 2012, 09:53 PM
I'd bet one of the main reasons for ditching google is probably google refusing to allow turn-by-turn on the iphone, or even updating the app to allow siri to integrate with it, etc

It's easy to blame apple, but at the end of the day no-one knows who's to blame either way but i'm pretty sure apple would've brought it sooner had they been able to.

The new maps looks different but now i might actually start using Siri more!

As pointed out many MANY times before The Map app being crap was 100% apples fault. Apple was in charge of updating it and integrating everything in with it. Apple did nothing with it since pretty much day 1.

Silverfist
Jun 11, 2012, 10:54 PM

Nope. And Mentos don't have Retsyn (tm).

sonicboom
Jun 11, 2012, 11:05 PM
What's up with his shirt?

LemonsofDeath
Jun 11, 2012, 11:40 PM
No transit or walking directions means I wont be updating to ios 6 anytime soon. It's 2012, does anyone still use cars? Might as well launch an app with horseback only directions.

Perhaps I'm bitter because I live in NYC. But jeez it just seems like a huge PR disaster as there are so many iPhone users here that will update there OS over the air and then without warning be unable to get directions without finding some hitherto unknown third party app.

/dev/toaster
Jun 11, 2012, 11:46 PM
Not having street view is going to really piss me off. I use it all the time going around to places I haven't been before.

I really hope there is a way to use Google Maps for this.

StyxMaker
Jun 12, 2012, 12:14 AM

With Navigon I just make sure the maps I'm going to need at my destination are loaded on my iPhone before I leave.

Project
Jun 12, 2012, 12:50 AM
Not having street view is going to really piss me off. I use it all the time going around to places I haven't been before.

I really hope there is a way to use Google Maps for this.

Google have already implied they will be submitting a version of Google Maps to the App Store.

JayLenochiniMac
Jun 12, 2012, 12:54 AM

Not a good idea for them to do that. They'll get their ass chewed by our government in an antitrust move.

'
Ring a bell?

They may take their sweet time, but they'll approve eventually.

/dev/toaster
Jun 12, 2012, 01:39 AM
Google have already implied they will be submitting a version of Google Maps to the App Store.

This is excellent news, maybe they can get a version that is far more up to date then the one in iOS 5.

If that goes over well, maybe they should do the same with the YouTube app. Both are seriously neglected.

dreadnort
Jun 12, 2012, 02:07 AM
New IOS6 features outsite the US

NONE

fatboyslick
Jun 12, 2012, 02:19 AM
I have to agree that I fully expect iOS Maps to be useless outside of America.
Navigation in the UK is very complex compared to the states and dedicated UK Sat Navs are not great at the best of times.

I hope Google offer their maps app as a standalone app, rather than relying on the cumbersome web version

dreadnort
Jun 12, 2012, 02:28 AM
no matter what the state of IOS maps will be i will still use 'navfree', it's completly replaced my garmin for sat nav

DJHonda84
Jun 12, 2012, 02:36 AM
Do we know if Google will continue to support the maps app, for those who's hardware doesn't support iOS 6?

csimmons
Jun 12, 2012, 02:42 AM

I doubt very seriously that TomTom is worried about the new Maps app in iOS, since they provide the back end for it. :D They confirmed this at WWDC, and it is stated on the Maps info screen.

That pretty much guarantees the Maps app will work outside of the US. I use Garmin/Navigon personally, but I'm glad to see that Apple has a major player like TomTom helping them out on this.

DocNYz
Jun 12, 2012, 02:43 AM
This is simply not true. I enjoy my iPhone but this is one area in particular I was surprised they did not make an improvement. There are many of us that would like a much quicker way to do this. There are some tweaks out there that are very well done and if Apple implemented them in a way very similar to those, it would not add any complexity to the OS. Your statements are utterly false.

Seriously this is ****ing absurd that Siri can't change core settings by now.

Hopefully Navigon will incorporate Siri otherwise I may have to switch over to apple's maps ...

tatonka
Jun 12, 2012, 02:54 AM
I must admit the maps app goes beyond what I had expected it to be. Unfortunately it still doesn't improve anything substantially for me. I personally would have liked them to revamp the look and feel of the iOS rather than spending a ton of time and money to replace the partnership with google with a bunch of other partnerships.

T.

gnasher729
Jun 12, 2012, 02:59 AM
Navigation in the UK is very complex compared to the states and dedicated UK Sat Navs are not great at the best of times.

Please explain. What would be more "complex" about navigation in the UK? And to be honest, making an iPhone app that is better than a dedicated TomTom doesn't seem to be too difficult - when you consider what rubbish the TomTom app is.

yetanotherdave
Jun 12, 2012, 03:35 AM
I suppose you would like to have them hold it from the market until every nook and cranny is covered? I'd rather get it ASAP and release updates as it's developed for the rest of the world.

Actually yes, because everyone outside of america loses features. Like apple does not have satellite photos for my city, unless you zoom right out to the point of being useless.

At the very least, if they don't have data, they should use google's as a backup. For the time being while they get up to speed. Not getting new features is annoying, losing features is not acceptable.

viewfly
Jun 12, 2012, 04:20 AM

You mean sort of how Android's Ice Cream Sandwich is only on 5% of hardware devices after being out 6 months? Android's hardware is so fragmented,most are shut out of future upgrades, by the carriers and mgfr's.

I've been using the iPhone app Mapquest, for a year or more; and it works much better than my Garmin.

Oletros
Jun 12, 2012, 04:26 AM
You mean sort of how Android's Ice Cream Sandwich is only on 5% of hardware devices after being out 6 months? Android's hardware is so fragmented,most are shut out of future upgrades, by the carriers and mgfr's.

I've been using the iPhone app Mapquest, for a year or more; and it works much better than my Garmin.

Difference is that even with 2.3 you get ALL the same core apps than with 4.0. They're updated independently of the OS

misterpip
Jun 12, 2012, 04:37 AM
Is google street view gone forever from ios, or does anyone think that google will release its own app, or will apple/third parties fill that void?

Street view is one feature I will miss, because it worked really well on the iPad.

BR485
Jun 12, 2012, 05:20 AM
I'm looking forward to Google releasing the iOS version of Google Maps. I doubt the new Apple 'Maps' app will be as robust as Google's product in terms of ground covered and it won't feature anything resembling Street View, but it will be interesting to see what they came up with.

Sat Nav does nothing for me as I actually like to use old-fashioned paper maps when driving in non-familiar cities. Constantly looking at a squwaking box that tells when to turn where etc. is annoying and I'm missing all the scenery.

----------

Is google street view gone forever from ios, or does anyone think that google will release its own app, or will apple/third parties fill that void?

Street view is one feature I will miss, because it worked really well on the iPad.

I'm assuming Goggle will include Street View in its updated iOS Maps app. At least I hope so!

The Game 161
Jun 12, 2012, 06:16 AM
Guessing we won't get this in uk?

Abazigal
Jun 12, 2012, 06:31 AM
Seriously this is ****ing absurd that Siri can't change core settings by now.

Hopefully Navigon will incorporate Siri otherwise I may have to switch over to apple's maps ...

Yeah, what wouldn't I give to be able to use siri to toggle bluetooth settings...:(

DrSD
Jun 12, 2012, 06:54 AM
So 3D maps should work okay with iphone 4 rite?

Mine not working do i need to restore? it takes ages to restore.

yetanotherdave
Jun 12, 2012, 07:04 AM
So 3D maps should work okay with iphone 4 rite?

Mine not working do i need to restore? it takes ages to restore.

No, 3D maps is iphone 4s and ipad 3 :(

techguy20
Jun 12, 2012, 07:07 AM
Now -- all we need is for Apple to create its own search engine and no more Google on Apple devices.

"Let me Google that for you" -Siri
will now become "Let me Steve that for you"

johnnyjibbs
Jun 12, 2012, 07:07 AM
Ok, so the map tiles do look better than in the iOS version of iPhoto (now that was hard!) but it still looks crud compared to Google maps.

The maps app on iOS was one of the best apps on iOS - now they've replaced it with something that is currently severely lacking (especially for non iPhone 4S users). I'm hoping that as this is only beta 1 the finished thing will be substantially better.

A few annoyances so far:

maps do not zoom to the same level of detail as previous Google version
performance is poor compared to old version and map tiles no longer fade in
map tiles are slow to load, even over WiFi
map tiles lack detail, contrast (it's hard to see the roads in a built up residential area against the background, while parks stand out like a saw thumb)
road colours are completely wrong in the UK - our motorways are blue, not yellow
no street view
3D view looks nice but unfortunately I don't get the priveledge of that on my iPhone 4

One thing it does have going for it is the superb ability to rotate the map at will.

I do hate it though when a 'new' product is blatantly not as good as the one it replaces. (Final Cut Pro X, anyone?) Let's hope my list of bugbears reduces by the time the Gold Master gets released...

yetanotherdave
Jun 12, 2012, 07:47 AM
Ok, so the map tiles do look better than in the iOS version of iPhoto (now that was hard!) but it still looks crud compared to Google maps.

The maps app on iOS was one of the best apps on iOS - now they've replaced it with something that is currently severely lacking (especially for non iPhone 4S users). I'm hoping that as this is only beta 1 the finished thing will be substantially better.

A few annoyances so far:

map tiles lack detail, contrast (it's hard to see the roads in a built up residential area against the background, while parks stand out like a saw thumb)
road colours are completely wrong in the UK - our motorways are blue, not yellow
no street view
3D view looks nice but unfortunately I don't get the priveledge of that on my iPhone 4

One thing it does have going for it is the superb ability to rotate the map at will.

I do hate it though when a 'new' product is blatantly not as good as the one it replaces. (Final Cut Pro X, anyone?) Let's hope my list of bugbears reduces by the time the Gold Master gets released...

You are fortunate that you live in London, apparently somewhere backward and provincial like Bristol doesn't get satellite imagery to any useable zoom level...

Bezetos
Jun 12, 2012, 07:49 AM
GPS doesn't work without a signal right? :confused:Google Maps on Android already allows you to cache maps on your phone and use GPS without a signal (as part of its experimental features).

DrSD
Jun 12, 2012, 08:09 AM
I don't get it , when i open map app on my iphone 4 , as soon as i open it i can see 3D on it, and then when it start using the data 3D goes away.

May be iphone 4 later will have 3D maps because maps are absolutely horrible.

macandiPhone
Jun 12, 2012, 08:11 AM
Everybody is excited what showed up in Apple's keynote.

The Maps app (from images shown above) are also breath taking..
FlyOver feature makes use of powerful cameras which are capable to peep into your houses.

Dont forget to smile since Apple cameras are observing you having a sun bath.

What about privacy!!!

Oletros
Jun 12, 2012, 08:13 AM
FlyOver feature makes use of powerful cameras which are capable to peep into your houses.

Dont forget to smile since Apple cameras are observing you having a sun bath.

What about privacy!!!

You're joking, don't you?

iSunrise
Jun 12, 2012, 08:27 AM

A few annoyances so far:

no street view

My thoughts exactly, I feel the same way.

I use the Google maps app frequently and from the first time on that Iīve used it, it impressed the hell out of me, because it was so simple yet powerful. I simply cannot understand why they had to replace it now (way too soon!) with their own maps app that misses a lot of important stuff that we had on our devices. The old maps app was a huge selling point for me.

I basically always used the Google maps app whenever I was in a different city or country and it NEVER failed me once. I always felt very safe, because I never got lost when walking to some location Iīve never been or if I just wanted to hit a hotel or something else.

A 3D view is nice and all, but who really uses that inside a maps app aside from looking at places beforehand. But even then, itīs not that helpful at all, itīs just a nice addition.

I need walking distances if I want to walk somewhere and I need bus routes when I need to drive with a bus. Seriously Apple, what lives are you guys living that you are under the impression such things donīt need to be included?! And Iīm not even talking about Street View which is now gone, too.

IMHO that was a very bad move from Apple. They need to update it at a very fast pace so that everyone on this world doesnīt feel like he lost IMPORTANT functionality.

Looks like I have to wait for Google to release their own maps app now until Apple wakes up again.

(And Iīm not even talking about the keynote, which was a huge disappointment.)

monkeybongo
Jun 12, 2012, 08:39 AM
My thoughts exactly, I feel the same way.

I use the Google maps app frequently and from the first time on that Iīve used it, it impressed the hell out of me, because it was so simple yet powerful. I simply cannot understand why they had to replace it now (way too soon!) with their own maps app that misses a lot of important stuff that we had on our devices. The old maps app was a huge selling point for me.

I basically always used the Google maps app whenever I was in a different city or country and it NEVER failed me once. I always felt very safe, because I never got lost when walking to some location Iīve never been or if I just wanted to hit a hotel or something else.

A 3D view is nice and all, but who really uses that inside a maps app aside from looking at places beforehand. But even then, itīs not that helpful at all, itīs just a nice addition.

I need walking distances if I want to walk somewhere and I need bus routes when I need to drive with a bus. Seriously Apple, what lives are you guys living that you are under the impression such things donīt need to be included?! And Iīm not even talking about Street View which is now gone, too.

IMHO that was a very bad move from Apple. They need to update it at a very fast pace so that everyone on this world doesnīt feel like he lost IMPORTANT functionality.

Looks like I have to wait for Google to release their own maps app now until Apple wakes up again.

(And Iīm not even talking about the keynote, which was a huge disappointment.)

This is a 1.0 product, I`m sure you`ll see improvements on the server side quickly and there`s nothing to stop you from staying on 5.1 until it works out for you (I`ll wait until it`s stable). Besides I`m sure Google will release a IOS maps application soon.

Bezetos
Jun 12, 2012, 08:42 AM
I think that the mistake Apple has made was focusing on a gimmick (FlyOver) rather than actual functionality (no more Street View, maps lack details, bus routes don't work (apparently), inferior performance etc.).

The only good functional addition is vector maps and rotatable labels, but they should have had this ages ago.

diamond.g
Jun 12, 2012, 08:42 AM
No transit or walking directions means I wont be updating to ios 6 anytime soon. It's 2012, does anyone still use cars? Might as well launch an app with horseback only directions.

Perhaps I'm bitter because I live in NYC. But jeez it just seems like a huge PR disaster as there are so many iPhone users here that will update there OS over the air and then without warning be unable to get directions without finding some hitherto unknown third party app.

It has walking and transit too.

Oletros
Jun 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
It has walking and transit too.

Where?

diamond.g
Jun 12, 2012, 08:58 AM
Where?

Get directions to a place, from there you can choose walking or bus as well as driving (though it appears only driving works reliably)

Or click the right arrow next to the search bar.

Smith288
Jun 12, 2012, 09:01 AM
No Siri.

I have voice over though. Can the app not read the turn by turn list, and when you near the next turn, just voice over the directions? Why would Siri be needed to read out text?

Oletros
Jun 12, 2012, 09:04 AM
Get directions to a place, from there you can choose walking or bus as well as driving (though it appears only driving works reliably)

Or click the right arrow next to the search bar.

And bus gives you the bus stations and their routes?

Xultar
Jun 12, 2012, 10:28 AM
With Navigon I just make sure the maps I'm going to need at my destination are loaded on my iPhone before I leave.

Ahhh I always forget. So I am always out of luck. Signal in SF is always horrible. So using GPS there sucks. Plus the maps are too big for download on the go.

Thanks for taking the time...x

someone28624
Jun 12, 2012, 11:02 AM

Very few people in day to day life turn bluetooth or wifi on and off. I can't think of the last time I turned wifi off.

Bezetos
Jun 12, 2012, 11:05 AM
Very few people in day to day life turn bluetooth or wifi on and off. I can't think of the last time I turned wifi off.I know a lot of people that do. I turn wi-fi on and off every day. It's just one press on my Android phone and I save battery.

someone28624
Jun 12, 2012, 11:07 AM

And all the other Google apps.

----------

I know a lot of people that do. I turn wi-fi on and off every day. It's just one press on my Android phone and I save battery.

What is the point of doing this?

Bezetos
Jun 12, 2012, 11:09 AM
What is the point of doing this?
1. You turn off Wi-fi when you don't have access to it (e.g. when I'm out and about)
2. You save battery
3. ???
4. Profit!

Ieo
Jun 12, 2012, 11:15 AM
Well, I'll admit Android did it first....but I was never satisfied with the accuracy of the results. Here's hoping with Tom-Tom aboard, the results will be smooth, accurate, and satisfactory.

jackc
Jun 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Turn-by-turn is not available for iPhone 4? That blows.

mrial
Jun 12, 2012, 11:23 AM

gaiagps app lets you download map areas from open map sources. A bit of a learning curve to use this app. It works great but not a turn-by-turn app. I saved cities before I went to China to see where the taxi drivers took us. You can save topo maps for hiking also.

larrybeo
Jun 12, 2012, 11:25 AM
Now would be a GREAT time to introduce the "feature" that would let you delete this crap that Apple insists on including with the iOS. Yes, I'm a naysayer considering I haven't even seen this yet, but Google Maps works great, and I already have an app for turn by turn voice navigation - and that is something that is VERY hard to do. I just don't see Apple getting this one right.

----------

Turn-by-turn is not available for iPhone 4? That blows.

Finicky I know, but turn by turn directions is simply the ability to tell one which way they should go as they progress through the route they are on. It has nothing to do with voice navigation. Voice navigation is when the GPS actually SAYS which way to go, so you don't have to look at the screen.

Piggie
Jun 12, 2012, 12:10 PM
Forgive me for stating the obvious, but would it not benefit everyone, Every user of every different device, all school kids, and even Apple and Google themselves to team up to "photo the globe"

What on earth (earth! lol) is the point of different companies flying planes, or having cars, or people walking photographing the entire planet for the whole human race to benefit from?

That's just moronic to compete in the gathering of this type of Data.
Bot companies would work together and either half the time, or double the quantity of this data gathering, and they would both benefit from faster data gathering and not duplicating what someone else has just done, saving money at the same time.

Sorry, but competing in taking photo's of the same city is just idiotic for just large companies.
Ok, put your own UI over the top, and use the data in the way you wish, but don't require the same data to be gathered.

Just think how much faster and more detailed it would all become with multiple companies working together to map the globe in high detail for us.

legs88
Jun 12, 2012, 12:17 PM
Please delete my post.

revlisoft
Jun 12, 2012, 12:42 PM
Does any have a list of places where the 3D models are already done? So far I have

San Francisco MOMA
Golden Gate Bridge
Sydney Opera House
Apple Cupertino HQ

diamond.g
Jun 12, 2012, 01:03 PM
And bus gives you the bus stations and their routes?

From what I have heard it is supposed to but it doesn't work at the moment. It seems to want to link you to a page of routing apps.

BR485
Jun 12, 2012, 01:14 PM

I agree. But there is no way they can update fast enough to compete with Google Maps. It took Google years to compile all their map info and send Street View cars around the globe.

Bad move Apple.

diamond.g
Jun 12, 2012, 01:20 PM
Does any have a list of places where the 3D models are already done? So far I have

San Francisco MOMA
Golden Gate Bridge
Sydney Opera House
Apple Cupertino HQ

Did they explain how their 3d tech work? Is it similar to how Google does it?

BR485
Jun 12, 2012, 01:22 PM
Very few people in day to day life turn bluetooth or wifi on and off. I can't think of the last time I turned wifi off.

Seriously?? I always turn Wifi and Bluetooth off when I don't need them. Saves battery life, frees up memory and processor cycles. It just makes sense. Do you leave all your lights and appliances on when your're not at home?

Oletros
Jun 12, 2012, 01:24 PM
From what I have heard it is supposed to but it doesn't work at the moment. It seems to want to link you to a page of routing apps.

So it relies on 3rd party apps and Apple doesn't have those features

Oletros
Jun 12, 2012, 01:28 PM
Well, I'll admit Android did it first....but I was never satisfied with the accuracy of the results. Here's hoping with Tom-Tom aboard, the results will be smooth, accurate, and satisfactory.

It's ironic that Google started to do their own mapping because Teleatlas data was not accurate.

Your results came from TomTom data

Saladinos
Jun 12, 2012, 06:38 PM
TomTom's not worried:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-tomtom-ios-6-maps/

w00master

I actually used to work for TomTom, and I can tell you that this doesn't mean what everyone thinks it means.

TomTom bought TeleAtlas a few years ago, who were one of the best map data providers around (google maps v1 was buit on their data). TomToms entire market cap is now less than what they paid for TeleAtlas; it could well be that that's the only really valuable part of the company left.

Their technology is ancient, nobody can understand how it works, and if you look at their apps it shows. They also make some of the most awkward user interfaces around.

They've managed to score a branding coup here, but it won't save their business. Satnav revenue is tanking, and standalone app revenue is about to do the same. Data licensing revenue won't make up for it, especially with the competition leading to companies wanting to own the data.

Abazigal
Jun 12, 2012, 07:07 PM
Forgive me for stating the obvious, but would it not benefit everyone, Every user of every different device, all school kids, and even Apple and Google themselves to team up to "photo the globe"

What on earth (earth! lol) is the point of different companies flying planes, or having cars, or people walking photographing the entire planet for the whole human race to benefit from?

That's just moronic to compete in the gathering of this type of Data.
Bot companies would work together and either half the time, or double the quantity of this data gathering, and they would both benefit from faster data gathering and not duplicating what someone else has just done, saving money at the same time.

Sorry, but competing in taking photo's of the same city is just idiotic for just large companies.
Ok, put your own UI over the top, and use the data in the way you wish, but don't require the same data to be gathered.

Just think how much faster and more detailed it would all become with multiple companies working together to map the globe in high detail for us.

I really wished more people could have thought like you.

Shame it seems that spple's latest move seems more intended to counter google. So you have a lot of redundancy in that aspect, with both companies wasting resources pretty much doing the same thing.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 12, 2012, 07:11 PM
Seriously?? I always turn Wifi and Bluetooth off when I don't need them. Saves battery life, frees up memory and processor cycles. It just makes sense. Do you leave all your lights and appliances on when your're not at home?

Just going to point out to you that it yeah it will save some battery but very little. Them in idle mode is pretty minor in battery usage.

As for CPU and memory usage chances are it is not even not even measurable. Reason being is it does not turn off that part of the OS. It is just not running. Still loaded in memory and cycle usage would be about the same as if it was on.

bozzykid
Jun 12, 2012, 07:30 PM
Did they explain how their 3d tech work? Is it similar to how Google does it?

It works the same and the data is even gathered exactly the same using airplanes flying in certain patterns to cover areas.

kjs862
Jun 12, 2012, 07:31 PM
With the introduction of maps by Apple, does that mean Apple is in the search market now? I think yes, because within the Apple's maps you can search for businesses.

bawbac
Jun 12, 2012, 07:33 PM
Nice.
Apple has now reduced itself to a "me too" company.

bozzykid
Jun 12, 2012, 08:05 PM
With the introduction of maps by Apple, does that mean Apple is in the search market now? I think yes, because within the Apple's maps you can search for businesses.

As of yet they aren't providing any of the data though. They are using Yelp for reviews for example.

kjs862
Jun 12, 2012, 08:35 PM
As of yet they aren't providing any of the data though. They are using Yelp for reviews for example.

Ah alright. But doesn't Yelp get their data from Google?

bawbac
Jun 12, 2012, 09:13 PM

Cyclical

someone28624
Jun 12, 2012, 09:35 PM

My appliances? Yes, it makes more since than needing to replace all my groceries when I get home because I turned my fridge and freezer off.

Oletros
Jun 13, 2012, 12:49 AM

No

walterg74
Jun 13, 2012, 10:02 AM
So how will this work exactly for users like me for example in south america, where google maps has all my streets and all, andI'm betting this won't have squat..? specially since you can't uninstall apple's apps and keep the old maps... I don't think I will upgrade any time soon....

Dindorio
Jun 14, 2012, 05:12 PM
Wow!!!!!! its a great launching of Apple. I am more interested about its 3D view. Because realistic views are always enjoyable.

bozzykid
Jun 14, 2012, 05:51 PM
Wow!!!!!! its a great launching of Apple. I am more interested about its 3D view. Because realistic views are always enjoyable.

The "3D" view is interesting to show off. But in practical applications, I don't think it is very useful.

twoodcc
Jun 14, 2012, 07:33 PM
i must say that i am impressed with what apple showed. i think their maps look great. looking forward to it in iOS 6

npggirl
Jun 18, 2012, 12:48 PM
Do people feel that the auto companies expect you to upgrade your car to get the new features every year? I don't think so, just as I don't think Apple expects users to upgrade more often than they can afford.

I am not suggesting that Apple expects users to upgrade more often than they can afford. What I am saying is...in order to get some of the latest features, one has to upgrade every time a new product comes out.
It is a bit frustrating because technology, in general, changes so fast that something only a year old is so outdated.

JHankwitz
Jun 26, 2012, 03:13 PM
I am not suggesting that Apple expects users to upgrade more often than they can afford. What I am saying is...in order to get some of the latest features, one has to upgrade every time a new product comes out.
It is a bit frustrating because technology, in general, changes so fast that something only a year old is so outdated.

It's the same with cars and most every other technological item.

npggirl
Jun 27, 2012, 08:50 AM
It's the same with cars and most every other technological item.

Agreed...
Technology all around...