PDA

View Full Version : What's missing that you still want?

Apple...
Jun 11, 2012, 02:02 PM
Discuss. I still think they need widgets...maybe. At least at-a-glance info in the lock screen/notification center.

aPple nErd
Jun 11, 2012, 02:06 PM
Landscape mode stupid tim cook!!!!

MacDevil7334
Jun 11, 2012, 02:08 PM
I can't believe we are now on the 6th iteration of iOS and still don't have a quick way to access settings toggles (Notification Center for example). From the keynote pics, it looks like the Bluetooth toggle has been moved out to the front page of the settings app. This is a good start but they could have done so much better.

Apple...
Jun 11, 2012, 02:09 PM
I can't believe we are now on the 6th iteration of iOS and still don't have a quick way to access settings toggles (Notification Center for example). From the keynote pics, it looks like the Bluetooth toggle has been moved out to the front page of the settings app. This is a good start but they could have done so much better.
Agreed. I really don't understand this.

chris2k5
Jun 11, 2012, 02:10 PM
Off the top of my head, I kinda want the weather app rehauled with maps of our current location with animated maps to show oncoming rain or snow etc...

I also would love automatic app updates. I hate how I have to manually tell it to update apps!

AndyK

This was a feature I was really hoping for as well. I also don't see why we can't have a quick reply to message either.

Kayzle
Gestures, and quick wifi/bluetooth toggles

-Knight-
Jun 11, 2012, 02:12 PM
Files for photos, Live backgrounds, Live icons would be cool. Just a few small things I would of liked. And of course better integration for the notifications between the ipad and the iphone. Maybe this might still get done with ios6 i hope.

Orlandu
Jun 11, 2012, 02:13 PM
Siri for iPhone 4. Granted, I'll be getting the next iphone in September/October when it releases, but that's 3-4 months without all the cool Siri integration they're putting in.

GoCubsGo
Jun 11, 2012, 02:14 PM
Gestures, and quick wifi/bluetooth toggles

This would be nice.

Cod3rror
Jun 11, 2012, 02:14 PM

Don't worry, instead of quick access to the settings they put Facebook and Twitter shortcuts there.

WTF!?

What about the YouTube app that hasn't been updated for years?
Live icons?
Third party widgets in notification center?
Spotlight integration into the notification center?
Zephyr integration?
Safari unified address bar?
Private switch IN Safari, not in settings?
Prevent shut down when the phone is locked?

Other than Maps, which look like don't have an offline option, what was impressive?

Apple is getting really stale with iOS, Forstall should stop watching those Giants less concentrate on iOS more.

Apple...
Jun 11, 2012, 02:15 PM
Files for photos, Live backgrounds, Live icons would be cool. Just a few small things I would of liked. And of course better integration for the notifications between the ipad and the iphone. Maybe this might still get done with ios6 i hope.
Still seems like a battery eater to me. Live icons would be more useful.

socbrian
Jun 11, 2012, 02:15 PM
Quick Toggels, and better iMessage integration with 3rd party

isoft7
Jun 11, 2012, 02:16 PM
Customization and personalization... widgets, toggles, lockscreen, etc.

Time to loosen the death grip on the format and give people the ability to emotionally connect.

nfl46
Jun 11, 2012, 02:17 PM
There are some apps that they didn't go over. A lot of features we didn't even get to see. I'll wait until someone get iOS 6 on their iPhone/iPad then answer.

nuzzy
Jun 11, 2012, 02:18 PM
sort of disapponted there was no mention of an IOS6/Apple TV update

Carlanga
Jun 11, 2012, 02:20 PM
Toggles: been using sbsettings for years and apple has not copied/bought it.
Save attachments in Mail, add more than 5 pics on mail, attached directly from mail
Download Folder for Safari
Unlimited Apps in Folders and Folders inside Folders
Youtube in HD in 3G
Open BT stack
I can keep going, but those are the ones at the top of my head for which I like to jb the iPhone. Who knows, when they release the new iPhone they will show features and some of these things might be fixed or maybe in iOS 7...

The new Maps app looks awesome, but I think if it's fully online then it will consume a lot of data which is seriously capped by carriers, I can see maps images & Siri speaking consuming a lot. Maps needs to be offline at least in 2D for replacement of TomTom and similar apps. Online = more battery consumption.

tech4all
Jun 11, 2012, 02:20 PM
Landscape mode stupid tim cook!!!!

Yea he's a billionaire and you're a random kid on the internet.

So how was was your third year of kindergarten? Did you finally pass to first grade now?

stuffradio
Jun 11, 2012, 02:23 PM
Lockscreen widgets, homescreen widgets, more customization, have the option to not be so locked down

bisonthrow
Jun 11, 2012, 02:24 PM
I really wish they would incorporate the ability to reply to iMessages, sent to your phone number, from your iPad and/or Mac Computer. None of my contacts use my email address as their primary texting address and therefore id like to be able to answer my phone number iMessages from my computer or on my ipad.

tnisatard
Jun 11, 2012, 02:26 PM
I would like an overhaul of iOS, but I guess if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

iOS is getting stale, but it does work very well.

Mochi Hana
Jun 11, 2012, 02:27 PM

Agreed. I'd also like the ability to open a web link in an alternate browser (Atomic, iCab, etc..) instead of Safari.

Mr Aussie
Jun 11, 2012, 02:31 PM
Apple should learn off cydia. There doing it a bit.

redbeard331
Jun 11, 2012, 03:12 PM
Really letdown, nothing I wanted got an updsate, no widgets, just the same old stale ui, rows and rows of icons, we didn't even get a simple notification icon. Apple is really falling behind with the iPhone, new Macbook looks awesome though, guess they forgot this was a full point upgrade, this feels more like what 5.2 should be.

vahighland
Jun 11, 2012, 03:14 PM
Ability to 'snooze' when you get a calendar reminder popup. I use this all the time at work in Outlook. This concept has been around for decades. Not sure why Apple refuses to add this feature.

jman240
Jun 11, 2012, 03:25 PM
Save attachments in Mail, add more than 5 pics on mail, attached directly from mail

You can do this now from the same dialogue that does cut/copy/paste.

I really wish they would incorporate the ability to reply to iMessages, sent to your phone number, from your iPad and/or Mac Computer. None of my contacts use my email address as their primary texting address and therefore id like to be able to answer my phone number iMessages from my computer or on my ipad.

They are doing this. Your phone number will be tied to your icloud account and imessages and facetime will go everywhere you are logged in.

nyfliiboy
Jun 11, 2012, 03:29 PM
Siri for iphone 4...

rovex
Jun 11, 2012, 03:30 PM
Bitterly disappointed at no Mission Control nor Youtube app refresh.

Imagine how good mission control must look on the ipad! That would trump the swipe bewteen apps feature which doesn't seamlessly at all.

yeah
Jun 11, 2012, 03:32 PM
Ability to reset maps.
(To start back in the country you are in)

Carlanga
Jun 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
You can do this now from the same dialogue that does cut/copy/paste...
What is "this" out of the 3 I said and can you please elaborate more? Thanks.
Save attachments in Mail
Add more than 5 pics on mail
Attached directly from mail

jekyl
Jun 11, 2012, 04:53 PM
The one thing I would most want to see is custom repeats for calendar entries. It's a drag to née to go to my laptop whenever I need to edit a calendar entry for "every third Monday"! That's my pet peeve.

iPhoneApple
Jun 11, 2012, 05:07 PM
Rehaul of ALL stock iOS apps and system-wide file system.

Hastings101
Jun 11, 2012, 05:11 PM
What I really want is an updated Youtube app (Come on it's 2012, where are things like search suggestions?), better App Store interface, and ability to reply to text messages without needing to open up the Messages app.

Since Apple redid Maps I'm hoping changes to the Youtube app and App Store are coming but just weren't announced as major features. I imagine we'll probably never see quick reply outside of jailbroken phones.

Apple...
Jun 11, 2012, 05:22 PM
What I really want is an updated Youtube app (Come on it's 2012, where are things like search suggestions?), better App Store interface, and ability to reply to text messages without needing to open up the Messages app.

Since Apple redid Maps I'm hoping changes to the Youtube app and App Store are coming but just weren't announced as major features. I imagine we'll probably never see quick reply outside of jailbroken phones.
Who knows. Apple has bent backwards before, and the pull to refresh thing was a really nice addition from the jailbreak community.

bigsexyy81
Jun 11, 2012, 05:25 PM
Don't worry, instead of quick access to the settings they put Facebook and Twitter shortcuts there.

WTF!?

What about the YouTube app that hasn't been updated for years?
Live icons?
Third party widgets in notification center?
Spotlight integration into the notification center?
Zephyr integration?
Safari unified address bar?
Private switch IN Safari, not in settings?
Prevent shut down when the phone is locked?

Other than Maps, which look like don't have an offline option, what was impressive?

Apple is getting really stale with iOS, Forstall should stop watching those Giants less concentrate on iOS more.
All of this is true. Especially the bold part.

I think Maps was big, FaceTime over cellular was basically mandatory, Passbook is kinda cool, FB integration meh.

But really, when you are showcasing the reply-to-call options in the Phone app as a top 10 feature? 'You can now add photos and videos in Mail EASILY!'. And a couple new categories have been added in Siri which should have been in place since it came out?

I wasn't wowed. I came away from it once again being very happy that there is a healthy jailbreak community to give me access to features and options that other platforms have out of the box.

henriknorem
Jun 11, 2012, 05:39 PM
Replace all the blue buttons and pop-ups with gray, more stylish buttons, like in the new Maps app.

QCassidy352
Jun 11, 2012, 05:46 PM
They are doing this. Your phone number will be tied to your icloud account and imessages and facetime will go everywhere you are logged in.

I am very happy about that development. But, take it one step further - if the iPhone and iPad/Mac is on the same wifi network, let voice calls be routed to the iPad/Mac. That would be sooo nice (didn't palm have this with webOS?).

Let Siri toggle wifi/bt/DND/as many other settings as possible.

jman240
Jun 11, 2012, 08:10 PM
What is "this" out of the 3 I said and can you please elaborate more? Thanks.
Save attachments in Mail
Add more than 5 pics on mail
Attached directly from mail

Insert pictures or video into a mail message. Tap and hold. Youll get the cut/copy/paste options then hit the > to see more. One of the new options is insert picture or video.

I can't post the pic since I'm on my mobile but go here and scroll or search for "easy to insert". http://live.theverge.com/wwdc-2012-live-blog/

PantherCreek
Jun 11, 2012, 08:25 PM

They did. YAY! (I wanted this too)

I would like a "buy now, download later" for larger app purchases, how many times are you not home and someone shows you that awesome app, check the app store and it's over 50MB, can't I pay for it now and start the download as soon as I hit a WiFi.

PhoneI
Jun 11, 2012, 08:42 PM
Discuss. I still think they need widgets...maybe. At least at-a-glance info in the lock screen/notification center.

I don't get the widget love affair. When I was an Android user I found myself using widgets as much as I use widgets on my MacBook. Almost never.

Tinyluph
Jun 11, 2012, 08:44 PM
I want a setting to remove stock apps the same way you can turn off things like Twitter.

APlotdevice
Jun 11, 2012, 10:13 PM
A shared documents folder.
Quick toggles.
The ability to reply to IMs without switching apps.

bgro
Jun 11, 2012, 10:15 PM

This among other things. I truly believe that the way Apple implements features is far better than its competitors but iOS is really sorely lacking some great features that Android and Windows Phone have.

i0Nic
Jun 11, 2012, 10:24 PM
- A few of the stock apps need an overhaul, specifically Calendar and Mail.
- The ability to change default apps to third party options.
- The ability to hide/delete unused default apps.
- Rethink the app-grid: Make app icons live with realtime information as appropriate, including the ability to resize an app icon and turn it into a widget.
- Keyboard gestures to make editing text more functional.
- Inter-app communications ala Android.
- Siri API.
- Mobile payment system tied to NFC hardware.
- Shared Documents app/management system.

----------

I'm honestly expecting for Apple to just drop the Youtube app and for Google to release their own app in the App Store.

I can't see Apple spending extra resources on improving a Google product.

bndoarn
Jun 11, 2012, 10:29 PM
I'm honestly expecting for Apple to just drop the Youtube app and for Google to release their own app in the App Store.

I can't see Apple spending extra resources on improving a Google product.

IMO, they should've done this long ago. I got tried of dealing with the Youtube app so I disabled it via parental controls and now I just use the mobile Youtube site. The only downside to this is sometimes Safari doesn't let you watch Youtube videos that are embedded on other sites.

ECUpirate44
Jun 11, 2012, 10:30 PM
All I want is a bitesms like quick reply.

i0Nic
Jun 11, 2012, 10:39 PM

Apple are resisting adding these toggles because I think they believe the OS should be smart enough to know if and when to turn certain features on and off by itself.

Brightness should lower automatically as needed, bluetooth turned on only when a recognised device is nearby, Wifi should toggle on and off based on recognised wifi stations and so on. These should be managed by the OS and not easily available to the user to toggle.

By putting these toggles somewhere easily accessible like in the Notification Center, Apple would be saying to users to manage these themselves.

I agree with the idea of the OS managing them not the user, but the problem comes into play because the OS is *not* yet smart enough to manage these toggles by itself. However once you add a feature, it becomes very difficult to remove it, which is why Apple would be resisting adding it - even though it would be trivial for them to add a row of toggles in Notification Center.

----------

IMO, they should've done this long ago. I got tried of dealing with the Youtube app so I disabled it via parental controls and now I just use the mobile Youtube site. The only downside to this is sometimes Safari doesn't let you watch Youtube videos that are embedded on other sites.
I agree, I was expecting Apple to drop Youtube for iOS6 - it would have been a ballsy move to drop Google almost completely from iOS.

However it would be a risk on Apple's part, as it would take some time for Google to make a Youtube app and release it on the App Store, thereby leaving iOS without Youtube for a considerable length of time.

Even riskier, who's to say Google would even make a third party Youtube app. They may be more comfortable with keeping it a competitive advantage for Android or directing users to their mobile site.

eekcat
Jun 11, 2012, 10:59 PM
Better info on the lockscreen, a la LockInfo. That's the only thing left missing for me.

swingerofbirch
Jun 11, 2012, 11:08 PM
A better way to switch between open applications, some way to do it with gestures on the iPhone. And an interface that focuses on your information (what they now call notifications) and your apps secondarily. I am working on some schematics right now. So in short: the UI.

b166er
Jun 11, 2012, 11:12 PM
My number 1 is toggles. This is more or less the only reason I jailbreak. NC settings is a very easy on the eyes way to access all your important toggles from notification center. This kind of thing should have been on the first iPhone and it's still not here.

I'd like my weather app to update every 30 minutes or so to show me the actual temperature/conditions (something you could switch on and off would be even better)

I agree a download folder for safari would be awesome.

I think folders are hideous. I'd rather see a picture of a folder with my own label and not 9 thumbnails that I need a microscope to see. I'm not saying that would look good, but I think anything would look better than the current way. They are ugly, it's as simple as that. And only being able to put 12 apps in a folder makes no sense to me. It requires more folders which makes everything look more ugly.

Infinite dock/infinite folders in a great JB tweak that Apple should have made standard a long time ago.

Those are my main gripes. It's mostly aesthetic stuff. I love iOS and I prefer it madly to Android (I haven't used a windows phone yet) but it's these little things that keep me grinding my teeth. Not enough to make me jump ship, but it would be nice to see some real visual changes to iOS.

matthijst
Jun 12, 2012, 12:29 AM
The 3G toggle back on the 4S: they removed it again!

Apple...
Jun 12, 2012, 09:50 AM
I don't get the widget love affair. When I was an Android user I found myself using widgets as much as I use widgets on my MacBook. Almost never.
I never use widgets on the Mac, but I feel they would be of more use on the phone. I'm not saying Apple should implement it exactly like Android - widgets could sit in the Notification Bar instead of the homescreen.

APlotdevice
Jun 12, 2012, 10:20 AM
I never use widgets on the Mac, but I feel they would be of more use on the phone. I'm not saying Apple should implement it exactly like Android - widgets could sit in the Notification Bar instead of the homescreen.

I would also argue that widgets are more useful on mobile devices. Since unlike a computer you can't run multiple application windows at the same time. Therefor widgets offer, I believe, the next best thing in terms of multitasking.

iBreatheApple
Jun 12, 2012, 11:10 AM
I want:

-EASY access to wifi and Bluetooth toggles (whether it's in notification center or two swipes over in the multitasking menu, I don't care...)
-Siri output through the dock connector

Well dang I thought I was going to have more but iOS 6 fixed a lot of my pet peeves so that's about it. :D

Apple...
Jun 12, 2012, 11:37 AM
Here's another one: what else do you wish Siri could do?

musio
Jun 12, 2012, 12:15 PM
private appointments in calendar

offline maps

lockerc18
Jul 1, 2012, 11:09 AM
I'd like some way to have multiple windows on my iPad. I hate it when I'm in an app that requires information that I don't have, and I have to go look it up in some other app, and can't get back to where I was in the first app so everything is lost there.

Put a dock on the iPad, or better, include a tab structure like on a browser so you can flip back and forth between apps. THAT is something I'd like. In today's world, with the state of technology, there's no reason NOT to have something like this.

kurosov
Jul 1, 2012, 11:38 AM
I'd like to see the fast app switching bar actually use more screen real estate and have previews of the actual apps instead of icons. Currently just a single row of icons with all the unused space at the top is a complete waste especially on the iPad. (kinda like spaces/mission control)

I'd also love to see some more love for accessories like bluetooth game controllers that don't have to emulate a keyboard to function, and finally getting whatever the issue with onlive is sorted. The ability to use something like onlive wireless controller to play app store games etc would be great. The controller works in steam for mac after all.

While not an iOS update i still want an aperture app that allows me to pre rate, flag and metadata photos on location ready for importing to the desktop version when i get home. No editing features needed, just selection management.

Vundu
Jul 1, 2012, 12:27 PM
Toggles on the notification screen.

Apple letting carriers that don't sell the iPhone have tethering enabled ie Giffgaff.

Cinder6
Jul 1, 2012, 12:42 PM
I only have two features whose absence really bothers me:

1. Easy wi-fi toggle (expand this to airplane mode, bluetooth)
2. Ability to change default apps for various tasks

cube
Jul 1, 2012, 12:46 PM
Basic iPad 1 support.

Technarchy
Jul 1, 2012, 12:49 PM

Widgets are a gimmick. I've had plenty of android phones and the value isn't there compared to the price you pay in stability and battery life.

However I would like to see better use of the lock screen and expanded use of notification center.

tann
Jul 1, 2012, 04:55 PM
I agree with a lot of what has been said.

Some of my top wants include:
Live icons.
Quick way to access key settings (airplane mode, bluetooth, wifi, 3G and mobile data).
User defined profiles (like I can have something called school, which when clicked turns wifi ON (school has wifi), 3G and mobile data OFF, turns silent mode ON but leaves vibrate ON - all of this would be done by pressing just 1 button rather than like 4 or 5 i have to do currently!).
Private mode inside safari.
User defined default web browser.
Some sort of file system, or at least make it so that I can attach things from WITHIN the mail app, jeez!

I don't ask for much, I'm sure they can do some of these things!! iOS 7 Apple! C'mon!!
ALSO, let us turn off the message sent noise, never really bothered me but I didn't realise it happened every time lol.

GrandPhrase
Jul 1, 2012, 05:01 PM

I agree with you, but it may possibly be because of aesthetic purposes. Simplicity in design and clutter free I guess is what Apple is about lol.

Ayemerica
Jul 1, 2012, 05:33 PM

Totally agree with this. I never click the weather icon app, i just do a quick NC slide down.

Third Party API integration of NC is what everyone I talk to wants.

TheSuperSteve
Jul 1, 2012, 10:37 PM
I'd like to be able to hide stock apps from the homescreen. Its strange that you have this freedom on a freaking 6th generation iPod nano but not on iOS.

If you think about iOS 4, that was more of an update more or less for power users. Multitasking, the app switcher and media controls, homescreen folders. None of the non-techies I know that use iOS realize those functions exist.

I want iOS 7 to be another one of those updates. Revamp the app switcher. Make it easier to see which apps are active and which ones aren't. Make it easier to force quit apps. I mean, I'm not a designer, that's what I pay Apple for.

Completely redo Mobile Safari. Its amazing how much better and more usable Chrome is in comparison. Redo the YouTube app. Get rid of the weather and stock apps, the widgets are useful enough. Give me more sharing options in the Voice Memo app like export to Evernote or Dropbox.

Change the home screen to behave more like Launchpad does on Mountain Lion. Get rid of the spotlight screen and put the search on the top of the home screen. Then as you type, the screen below changes to show relevant icons or search results just like on OS X. The idea being that search would be easily assessable anywhere. Rather than having to press the home button to go to the homescreen, press the home button again to return to page 1 and then swipe to the left.

Again, I'm not a designer. That's what I give Apple money for, but I just think there are still lots of things that could be done so much better.

Ubuntu
Jul 2, 2012, 04:17 AM
I'd like a "Lock Now" function. I have my phone on password lock after 10 minutes (I don't want it more frequent then that, it gets annoying) and would love it if there was an option maybe on the notification centre panel to lock the phone immediately.

iRumored
Jul 2, 2012, 07:33 AM
#1 More Widgets. (Wi-Fi swipe on/off)
#2 Newsstand to be optional like iBooks
#3 Facebook integrated with OS like Twitter
#4 Editable custom dictionary like the BlackBerry would be nice

That's all I can think of right now.

Tyler23
Jul 2, 2012, 07:39 AM
#1 More Widgets. (Wi-Fi swipe on/off)
#2 Newsstand to be optional like iBooks
#3 Facebook integrated with OS like Twitter
#4 Editable custom dictionary like the BlackBerry would be nice

That's all I can think of right now.

Facebook is integrated in iOS 6 :)

iRumored
Jul 2, 2012, 08:12 AM
Facebook is integrated in iOS 6 :)

Ahh I see. I haven't looked in to it yet. Just going off of what I was hoping for with the 5.X.X updates. At least one prayer will be answered.
:)

MacDevil7334
Jul 2, 2012, 08:22 AM
I'd like a "Lock Now" function. I have my phone on password lock after 10 minutes (I don't want it more frequent then that, it gets annoying) and would love it if there was an option maybe on the notification centre panel to lock the phone immediately.

Can't you do this now by just hitting the sleep/wake button on the phone? I don't understand why you would need a software feature to lock the phone when there is already a hardware button that does it.

dayjob
Jul 2, 2012, 08:49 AM
A simple way to implement Quick Reply, is what I want the most! Is to put it in Notification Center. I love this feature. If you are able to pull down no matter what app you are in, then click a Quick reply feature in that iMessage, Mail, Tweet, or Facebook message, then everything disappears except the message, below that a dialog box for you to type into, and then you keyboard that appeared. Without ever having to leave Notification Center. Then hit send and Notification Center comes back up like normal, let swipe it up and continue what you were doing before.

Major General
Jul 2, 2012, 08:53 AM
Siri for iPhone 4. Granted, I'll be getting the next iphone in September/October when it releases, but that's 3-4 months without all the cool Siri integration they're putting in.

That's all I need

----------

Just give me Siri for my 4
A integrated SBSettings
Something like BiteSMS so I can quick reply to my messages and also integrated with twitter so I can quick reply to mentions

And if this were to ever be possible in our current way of technology
3G syncing to iTunes

hogsdill
Jul 2, 2012, 09:24 AM
I agree with others. It would be nice if the weather app was more useful. Adding a weather widget might help.

I'd also like an overall GUI redesign. I'm getting bored with the current look.

Ubuntu
Jul 2, 2012, 09:57 AM
Can't you do this now by just hitting the sleep/wake button on the phone? I don't understand why you would need a software feature to lock the phone when there is already a hardware button that does it.

To lock the phone? I mean to actually activate the password lock. So the phone would lock properly after 10 minutes but if I enable the lock now feature it would activate the password lock immediately.

brammp
Jul 2, 2012, 10:49 AM
To lock the phone? I mean to actually activate the password lock. So the phone would lock properly after 10 minutes but if I enable the lock now feature it would activate the password lock immediately.

You have a 10 minute setting?

Anyway, you set Auto Lock to whatever you want so as not to be obtrusive, and then set Passcode lock to "require immediately." Then you simply hit the power button to lock the phone. Simple.

Ubuntu
Jul 2, 2012, 11:18 AM
You have a 10 minute setting?

Anyway, you set Auto Lock to whatever you want so as not to be obtrusive, and then set Passcode lock to "require immediately." Then you simply hit the power button to lock the phone. Simple.

No, I mean the "Require Passcode" feature. Mine's actually set to 15 at the moment (not 10, sorry) but it means that when auto lock kicks in it'll enable password lock 15 minutes after. But I'd like to be able to override that and password lock it immediately on an ad-hoc basis. Not a huge feature, but would be good for me.

twigman08
Jul 2, 2012, 12:47 PM
I do not want widgets like Android has. The day iOS puts widgets like Android does is the day I will switch to Windows Phone or something (I do like live tiles and the different feel it has). The ONLY place I'd allow a widget of some sort is on the lock screen or a small one in Notification Center. Weather information needs to be displayed on the lock screen. Other than that I myself hope widgets are never put on here like Android has them.

joesegh
Jul 2, 2012, 01:52 PM
Auto-correct that sucks a lot less. Right now it learns bad behavior and never forgets it. Half the time when I type "the" as "thr", it auto-corrects it to "Thr", a misspelling I used once maybe 2 years ago. That's downright stupid and easily the most frustrating thing about the iOS platform today.
Quick-reply from lock screen for texts
Shortcuts to key settings via lock screen and/or notification center (WiFi, Airplane mode, BT)
APIs to allow devs to extend their apps to notification center
Live icons in a limited sense for certain key apps (e.g., clock and weather) to balance battery life concerns with usability
Unibar for Safari (why is this a major feature in Mountain Lion but NOT iOS??)
Automatic application updates (which users should be able to limit based on certain conditions, like plugged-in+WiFi, similar to iCloud backup)
Ability to choose default applications (for PDF, music, web links, etc) - this is probably not going to happen for years but hey, I can dream

Tanax
Jul 2, 2012, 02:55 PM
Haven't seen anyone mention overhaul of the "Photos". Being able to create folders, set them to private, require password, etc. I mean really? I'm surprised we still have no folder-support even. Basically more organization features to Photos.

A lot of other things that I want has already been listed so I'm not going to re-list them.

Pulsedriver81
Jul 2, 2012, 02:55 PM
I for one think like this about the new features:

Siri: As long as I canīt speak swedish to Siri or ask for directions it doesnīt matter how many updates/features they throw at it, itīs totaly useless for me.

Facebook integration: Now weīre talking. Small things like posting pictures from the photo app is something I would use everyday.

Maps: I havenīt tested it, but as long as I canīt use maps here in Sweden like in the US, what are the benifits with it? I get itīs a majoor investment in coding by Apple, but how do I as a user benifit from it here in Sweden? Do i Get turn by turn here? If I alreday have an app for navigation, what is the benifits for me using apples maps instead?

Music app: Never use it. I use google music so that I have access to my WHOLE music library and can choose directly from my phone witch song/songs I prefer to listen to online and offline. Still thereīs only a facelift as far as I understand (no new features).

VIP Contact: Seems like a nice little feature. Since I donīt want to be notified by all my recieved e-mails, this seems to be usefull for "filtering".

New answering functions/caller functions: Looks good on paper, but donīt think the "common" man would use this much. Seems more useful for workrelated situations. But hey, thatīs just me...

Facetime over 3G: Nice, but should of been there from the start.

Do not disturb feature: Nice, not a big feature, but somewhat usefull for alot of people I think.

Twitter and Facebook in NC: Come on! Why not make a widget for facebook here. Where you can see latest news or something. I for one never update my status...I donīt want to shout out to all my friends every five minutes of what I am doing right now. I am not fourteeen years old for god sake. Come on Apple! Do it right!

Alarm with "selectable" music: You can now choose songs from your music library! Wow! Like you canīt do that with thousands of other apps! This should also have been there from version 1.0.

App store overhaul and tweeks: Good tweeks are made. I can continue shopping without being thrown out after one download, new apps are markes with a nice looking label that they are new etc...

Now...whatīs missing?

Widgets: Hmmm...I hate the widgets on Android devices. They make the screen ugly and hard to "understand". It easily gets cluttered. I do like widgets in NC though. Batteryhog? Apple could easily set a limit to maybe 3-4 widgets in NC if they needed to.

Quick Toggles: Yes, this is a useful feature that has to be there (In NC). Why? Because alot of people (including myself) constantly toggle WIFI and bluetooth on and off. Donīt question why we do it, we just do plain and simple. One reason is battery concerns, thatīs as far as I go explaining my reasons.

Lockscreen: Keep it unclutterd I say. The worst thing you could do is make it look like lockinfo for JB phones. I got headaches just looking at the screen. Itīs way to cluttered. But I do feel like there should be something here, something visual that could be useful.

Why do paople think the update is underwhelming? Beacause users donīt care how much coding there is to it, most people donīt even understand how much coding there is to a simple app. They care about what they see and what they can interact with. I also believe in functions/features that automate things. Like "photostream," for ios 5 was really nice and a timesaver for me.

MozMan68
Jul 2, 2012, 04:08 PM
Music app: Never use it. I use google music so that I have access to my WHOLE music library and can choose directly from my phone witch song/songs I prefer to listen to online and offline. Still thereīs only a facelift as far as I understand (no new features).

You can't do that from iTunes? Or is there no iTunes Match in Sweden yet?

Pulsedriver81
Jul 2, 2012, 04:30 PM
You can't do that from iTunes? Or is there no iTunes Match in Sweden yet?

No, there's no iTunes match in Sweden yet. There's no google music in Sweden either, I used a workaround to get it to work in Sweden. Second of all, as mutch as I love apple, I can't stand iTunes. That's the reason for using cloud services instead. A lot more painless.

faroZ06
Jul 2, 2012, 04:45 PM
We need a Gamecube emulator... built-in to the OS. That's right, install Gamecube disc ROMs like you'd install an app.

Technarchy
Jul 2, 2012, 10:18 PM
Example of what I want: I want to be able to see pandora/spotify/song info in notification center so I don't have to switch back to the app after it is initially launched.

ixodes
Jul 2, 2012, 10:26 PM
Discuss. I still think they need widgets...maybe.

They can't have widgets, unless they're willing to eat their words.

Especially since they'd be copying Androids wonderful and very useful widgets.

Oh wait, I forgot, Apple's allowed to copy without "that" word being used :eek:

Chabba
Jul 3, 2012, 12:40 AM
I do not want widgets like Android has. The day iOS puts widgets like Android does is the day I will switch to Windows Phone or something (I do like live tiles and the different feel it has). The ONLY place I'd allow a widget of some sort is on the lock screen or a small one in Notification Center. Weather information needs to be displayed on the lock screen. Other than that I myself hope widgets are never put on here like Android has them.

You do realize if they ever implement them, you don't have to use them? No need to raise your blood pressure over a hypothetical thing you don't have to use.

ethana
Jul 3, 2012, 01:13 AM
Haven't seen anyone mention this yet....

On the iPad, please allow multiple users!!!! I have an iPad in the family room and kitchen area, and guests always use it. But it's got my personal e-mail, web history, financial info, etc etc on it!

Apple: LET US HAVE A GUEST USER FOR THE iPAD!

E

Vanilla Ice
Jul 3, 2012, 03:11 AM
New lock screen and home screen UI

A notification light on the new iPhone would be nice.

Apple...
Jul 3, 2012, 01:32 PM
They can't have widgets, unless they're willing to eat their words.

Especially since they'd be copying Androids wonderful and very useful widgets.

Oh wait, I forgot, Apple's allowed to copy without "that" word being used :eek:
First of all, what words? And second, since when does having widgets make you an automatic "Android copier"? Apple has had widgets on Mac OS X ever since the release of Tiger. Why not have them on iOS as well?

Zaft
Jul 3, 2012, 01:44 PM
Example of what I want: I want to be able to see pandora/spotify/song info in notification center so I don't have to switch back to the app after it is initially launched.

There is a music widget in the multitasking bar for that.

retry4
Jul 3, 2012, 02:34 PM
Quick way to access toggles ( sbsettings style)
widgets!
Live icons
More customization (like themes)
Landscape lock screen
Support for my 1st gen iPad!

lunarworks
Jul 3, 2012, 02:49 PM
I really just want a visual refresh (not silver) and a more customizable lock screen.

xTRIGGER092x
Jul 3, 2012, 02:54 PM
Hands-free Siri.

Technarchy
Jul 4, 2012, 03:28 AM
There is a music widget in the multitasking bar for that.

More details or scrolling track info would be better in notification center.

I would like to see dynamic icons as well instead of app badges to indicate activity, or show the actual weather.

Funny thing is the calender icon is already dynamic as it changes without user input. Extend that functionality to all app icons.

thewaffle
Jul 4, 2012, 08:37 AM
A simple and more efficient way to manage my photos! That is still my #1 grievance. It's such a simple thing that they make such a pain!

Darrensk8
Jul 4, 2012, 09:13 AM
A simple and more efficient way to manage my photos! That is still my #1 grievance. It's such a simple thing that they make such a pain!

+1

Im still confused with the photos app for iPad/iPhone, I always seem to end up with multiple copies of pictures/albums all over the place, I was really hoping they'd unify this with the desktop in iOS 6 :rolleyes:

jjk454ss
Jul 25, 2012, 07:48 AM
Integrated password manager. 1password is great, something like this needs to be integrated into the system. With places requiring more secure passwords(symbols, numbers, uppercase, lowercase, etc), I would love a better way to manage passwords.

tigert07
Jul 25, 2012, 09:14 AM

Why are live backgrounds so significant? Battery drain and eye strain are the biggest problems. Something apple is not pro.

jjk454ss
Jul 25, 2012, 09:16 AM
Why are live backgrounds so significant? Battery drain and eye strain are the biggest problems. Something apple is not pro.

I don't want Live Backgrounds, but I think its really cool how Android shifts the panoramic wallpaper as you swipe pages. I love the JB tweak for the iPhone to do this and don't notice any battery drain from it. I'd love to see this as a native feature.

bisonthrow
Jul 25, 2012, 09:24 AM
1) I want the ability to select a song and have it play next. Meaning if im listening to a song i want to be able to queue a song after it.

2) Third Party widgets in notification center. I don't like having widgets on my home screen but id love to be able to add an ESPN widget that shows scores for all of my favorite teams that updates only when i pull down notification center. This way battery will be conserved by it not updating constantly.

sakau2007
Jul 25, 2012, 12:45 PM
I think it's so stupid that people say feature x doesn't get added because it is a battery drain.

So?

Any feature like that should be able to be turned on and off. Bluetooth is a battery drain. So is wi-fi. So is a bright screen. How are widgets any different? How about Apple let me decide what is worth draining my battery and what isn't. I happen to have a charger at home, in my car, and at my office desk so I rarely dip below 90% battery most days.

My biggest overall ripe with iOS is that I can't set third party apps to be the default in the OS. The camera app is laughably bad. If Apple doesn't want to let me use Camera+ or something similar as my default camera app, how about making the camera app suck less? There's dozens of features that should've been there years ago that just aren't. Same with Safari. I'd be fine if I was forced into Safari being the default browser if it was as powerful as other mobile browsers, but it just isn't. The same goes for the weather app, and several others.

In addition, here is a list of other things that I believe are missing from iOS. There are thousands upon thousands of employees working on this kind of stuff. Most of these should be able to be hammered out by a small team of programmers in just a few days. Many of them should've been in iOS years ago. It is astounding at how little freedom Apple gives its users:

1. Ability to set camera access from the lock screen to a different app. Or better yet, just make the camera app a lot better (doesn't hold a candle to Camera+; Apple's app still has no timer, no ability to take pictures/videos at reduced quality if desired, still with very limited editing options)
2. Ability to hide 'photo library'. No need to have it if it is all duplicates
3. Ability to disable iMessage for specific contacts.
4. In messages, make the camera a general attachment button with the ability to attach a picture, location, contact, etc.
5. An icon next to the 3G/Wifi signal on the top bar for the notification center telling me how many notifications I have
6. Ability to add data usage in current billing cycle as a sticky in notification center much like stocks/weather.
7. Better 3rd party access to notification center. The Yahoo! weather app sucks. Let me put a Weather Channel or Accuweather widget in there instead. There’s tons of untapped potential in the notification center. At the moment, all we have is a decent start.
8. Ability to have the camera light blink every so often when you have notifications. Could be a battery drain? Every 30 seconds? Maybe every minute? Or (gasp) customizable?
9. Be able to password protect certain apps (mail, photos, settings, facebook, etc) or folders but allow anyone to play games, etc.
10. Ability for more customization. Something similar to SBSettings from jailbroken devices needs to be native.
11. Ability to hide apple's default apps like stocks, camera, weather, newsstand, etc.
12. Ability to close all 'suspended' apps running in the background at once. Not significant, but no reason I shouldn’t be able to.
13. Ability to move more than 1 icon at a time when changing the layout of the home pages
14. Ability to sort reminders by due date
15. Ability to display next X calendar items, regardless of when they are. Truth be told, the entire calendar app could use a bit of a makeover and feature addition.
16. Ability to 'snooze' a reminder from the lock screen
17. Ability to send playing now in music app to services like last.fm. This could be a failure on the app developers part, but I’d be willing to bet Apple is somehow tying their hands.
18. In music app, ability to play a song and go back to a list of music and select 'add to playing now'. Basically be able to create a playlist on the fly.
19. Voice memos – don’ t have them start playing automatically after the recording is finished. Also, it changes my volume back to max when it starts playing, even when I have previously reduced the volume. Annoying.
20. Be able to swipe from top to bottom on any app that uses the keyboard to hide it (doesn't work in notes, etc)
21. Option for a 5th row keyboard with numbers, or even let us fully customize out keyboard.
22. Ability to have line returns in keyboard shortcuts. This would be useful for addresses.
23. Ability to rename apps on the home screen.
24. Ability to add more than 12 apps to a folder. Let it scroll horizontally or vertically horizontally. It seems silly for me to have a Games folder, Games 2 folder, and Games 3 folder. I can't remember which games are in which folder. This is just silly.
25. Improve the YouTube app with subtitle support and other newer YouTube features.
26. Be able to drop pin in ‘Find Friends’ and see street view. (This I had written after iOS 5. I guess street view at all would be nice now.
27. Ability to merge Apple IDs. Isn't bothering me, but clearly some people need this.
28. Don't force us to have an internet connection for all of Siri’s functionality. If I’m asking for the weather, fine, but for simpler speech to text, come on. Why do you need a connection to set an alarm, calendar appointment, etc? I’d actually go ahead and say put Siri/Voice-to-text on older iPhones, but I know Apple won’t do this because they want to force people to spend their money buying their latest and greatest products, even if they aren’t that much greater under the hood.
29. Guaranteed money back on app purchases for something like 30 minutes. I haven’t needed it, but there’s quite a few paid apps that I’d like to see how they work hands on before I commit to buying. I don’t think offering a 15 minute, 30 minute, or an hour trial would be so terrible. This is in the Android marketplace and I think it is the one (and only?) thing I like about the Android marketplace more than the Appstore.
30. Put some kind of weather feature on the lock screen instead of having to go into a weather app or notification center.
31. Ability to get Google Contacts to sync ‘groups’. I have my contacts divided into friends, restaurants, family, rarely used, etc. Would be nice to be able to click on contacts and just have numbers I actually use (friends) and if I need to step back a directory and go to restaurants or whatever, I could choose to do that.
32. When you edit a contact, have twitter handle (and facebook url?) be default fields. After all, we are integrating these things into the OS, right?
33. Remember contact-specific ringtones. I've got about 20 different ringtones for different friends and family members. It is quite annoying to have to program all of these in again when I get a new device.
34. The ability to throttle the system if your device reaches a certain battery level. For instance, if the battery drops below X%, it reduces the CPU speed by Y%, or screen brightness by Z amount, or disables bluetooth automatically, or however else you want to set this up. This would allow us to program what we need the most and what we don't need the most, and let us squeeze a little extra battery life out of our devices.
35. Since Apple maps is being integrated with services like Yelp & OpenTable, wouldn't it make sense for the directions to do a time check if you ask for directions there? For instance, if it is 8:35 and you put directions into a restaurant that closes at 9:00 and your ETA isn't until 9:15, shouldn't Apple maps alert us to such? Obviously the bigger and more accurate Yelp gets, the more reliable this would be. But it just seems like an incredibly obvious feature to include.
36. Build in GasBuddy integration into Apple Maps, sort of like Yelp/OpenTable. Being able to quickly to see where the cheapest gas on my route is would be very beneficial.
37. Ability to disable text tones and other sounds when on a call.

I could go on and on, but I'll let Apple work on these 37 first.

brylliant
Jul 25, 2012, 01:46 PM

Agreed. They'd rather move the bluetooth setting out, than make a simple button? Really?!

Shishu
Jul 26, 2012, 09:04 AM
Haven't seen anyone mention this yet....

On the iPad, please allow multiple users!!!! I have an iPad in the family room and kitchen area, and guests always use it. But it's got my personal e-mail, web history, financial info, etc etc on it!

Apple: LET US HAVE A GUEST USER FOR THE iPAD!

E

Unlike iPhone which can be considerd single-user device iPad is not. Multi-user environment would definitively make sense. First step (I.e. in some point release) could be adding "guest account" which would only be able to access safari. This would solve some problems. Then in next major release they could add real accounts so that each user could access his own e-mails, bookmarks....

shk718
Jul 26, 2012, 09:16 AM
Agreed. They'd rather move the bluetooth setting out, than make a simple button? Really?!

i can't believe SIRI cant do this - she can set an appointment but i cant say turn bluetooth on? how easy is that?

bushido
Jul 26, 2012, 10:04 AM
Open the Notification Center for devs
the NotCenter looks just redic sad on an iPad

Native Weather App for the iPad

QuickReply for SMS!

new YouTube app

LiveIcons = how come it works on the calendar but not on the most obvs thing like the weather icon?

Usefull Siri commands - great, lets add movie and sports ... who gives a beep, how about useful things like "turn off wifi"

"Close All" in the multi tasking thing

Unlimited Apps within a folder! - limitation is pointless

more infos on the lockscreen, hasnt changed much since 2007

that ugly music app ui on the iPad needs to go!

Jman13
Jul 26, 2012, 10:10 AM
Almost everything I want in native iOS is availble jailbroken already. Which is somewhat disappointing. Basically, if native iOS had the functional equivalent of NCSettings, FolderEnhancer, Activator, Springtomize and some (if not all) of the customization options in Winterboard (including home screen widgets and lockscreen weather, etc), I'd be fine dropping my JB and going to stock iOS.

Heck, I'd just take NCSettings and FolderEnhancer (quick toggles in notification center and folders with multiple pages and nesting ability).

As of now, I think that despite the improvments in iOS 6, that jailbroken iOS 5.1.1 is better than iOS 6 stock.