PDA

View Full Version : Apple Announces iOS 6 with Siri Improvements, Facebook Integration, New Maps App, Passbook for Fall Release

MacRumors
Jun 11, 2012, 02:09 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/apple-announces-ios-6-with-siri-improvements-facebook-integration-new-maps-app-passbook-for-fall-release/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/ios6-pr-500x409.jpg

(http://www.front.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/apple-announces-ios-6-with-siri-improvements-facebook-integration-new-maps-app-passbook-for-fall-release/ios6-pr/)At today's WWDC keynote event, Apple announced (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/06/11Apple-Previews-iOS-6-With-All-New-Maps-Siri-Features-Facebook-Integration-Shared-Photo-Streams-New-Passbook-App.html) the next version of its operating system for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. iOS 6 will feature new functionality for Siri, Facebook integration, a revamped Maps app, Shared Photo Streams via iCloud, and more.
iOS 6 continues the rapid pace of innovation that is helping Apple reinvent the phone and create the iPad category, delivering the best mobile experience available on any device," said Scott Forstall, Apple's senior vice president of iOS Software. "We can't wait for hundreds of millions of iOS users to experience the incredible new features in iOS 6 including the new Maps app, expanded Siri support, deep Facebook integration, Shared Photo Streams and the innovative new Passbook app.
In iOS 6, Siri will gain new capabilities to provide sports scores and schedules, make restaurant reservations via OpenTable, find local movie listings and even launch apps. Siri will also debut in new languages including Spanish, Italian, and French.

Facebook integration will be much like the current Twitter integration in iOS 5 with a system-wide log-in and the ability to quickly post from within apps. Contacts can be updated automatically using information obtained through Facebook. Third-party developers will be able to add this functionality easily with a public API.

A new Do Not Disturb mode allows users to schedule when notifications should not cause any sounds or visual alerts. The iPhone's Phone app will get new options to reply with a text message or prompt a reminder to return a call later when an incoming call arrives.

Shared Photo Streams lets you choose photos to share with selected family and friends. Shared photos can be viewed by others on iOS devices, iPhoto and Aperture on a Mac, or on the web or through an Apple TV.

Passbook is a new wallet app that will consolidate payment cards and electronic tickets. For example, customers at Starbucks can make payments using their Gold Card through Passbook. Also, movie tickets purchased through Fandango can be redeemed through Passbook. Airline boarding passes and even sporting event tickets will be accessible through Passbook as well. A new API will offer developers access to Passbook.

As expected (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/04/apple-replacing-google-maps-on-ios-with-its-own-solution-later-this-year/), Apple has revamped the Maps app with its own map data. It will offer integration with Yelp for business listings and traffic information sourced anonymously and in real-time from iOS users. Turn-by-turn navigation will also debut in the new Maps app and guidance can be triggered by Siri.

iOS 6 will be compatible with the iPhone 3GS and later, 2nd-generation iPad and later, and the 4th-generation iPod touch and will be available in the fall. A beta will be available to developers today.

Article Link: Apple Announces iOS 6 with Siri Improvements, Facebook Integration, New Maps App, Passbook for Fall Release (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/apple-announces-ios-6-with-siri-improvements-facebook-integration-new-maps-app-passbook-for-fall-release/)

jlblodgett
Jun 11, 2012, 02:12 PM
What was the comment re: FaceTime over cellular?

On the livestream - it said "FaceTime over cellular!!"

But then it said "only available over WiFi"

Which is it?

ryanmcv
Jun 11, 2012, 02:13 PM
Disappointed that they are no longer supporting the original iPad. The iPhone 3GS is older and less powerful, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

withasigh
Jun 11, 2012, 02:13 PM
In the photo it looks like there's a native clock app for iPad.

ryanmcv
Jun 11, 2012, 02:14 PM

Which is it?

Cellular and Wi-Fi:
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/#facetime

wcuthbert
Jun 11, 2012, 02:16 PM
God dammit, my iPad 1 is just over 2 years old and they're already dropping support for it. Throw these new features in my face and then tell me I have to spend another $600 to get them.

Arcus
Jun 11, 2012, 02:16 PM
So does this mean Siri on my 4th Gen iphone?

nickn
Jun 11, 2012, 02:17 PM
So it works on the slower 3GS, but not on the iPad 1? Ok, then..... I'm not too disappointed though, as iOS 6 doesn't appear to be bringing anything major to the OS anyways. Also, I find it very humorous that Apple shows charts about how Android is all fragmented, and how most users are on 2.3, but yet that is exactly what is going to happen to Apple themselves. Soon, you will still have some people on legacy devices using 3.1.3, more people on 2nd gen stuff on iOS 4, many newer devices left behind such as iPad 1 and 3rd gen Touch users on iOS 5, and the rest on iOS 6. How is that not fragmentation?

lilweeds
With all the Siri upgrades.... Does this mean Siri will be on any device that runs iOS6?

jasonxneo
ios 6 has so many new things! its so great! :)

jayducharme
Jun 11, 2012, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure I understand the point of "Do Not Disturb," especially if you have to go into settings and turn it on, then go back after and turn it off. I can accomplish a similar thing by powering off the phone. How is this better than Airplane Mode?

Pizzaboy13
Why would apple release iOS 6 in the fall? Mountain lion is almost useless without the iOS 6 software released! Unless they are releasing another iOS 6 device in the fall (7inch iPad) they have no other reason besides testing time to wait. I say that they should test it, give developers a month, and release it alongside mountain lion.

Saladinos
Petty weak, IMO. Hopefully there are some good new APIs.

Besides, this is only half of iOS 6. Well find out the other half when the iPhone 5 is announced.

S3R6i0
And order of Reminders still cannot be changed... :mad:

Mad Mac Maniac
Disappointed that they are no longer supporting the original iPad. The iPhone 3GS is older and less powerful, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Well the difference is the iPhone 3GS is still currently being sold by Apple. The original iPad hasn't been sold for over a year.

LightningIceFox
With all the Siri upgrades.... Does this mean Siri will be on any device that runs iOS6?
It seems according to apple's website its only supported on iPhone 4S and the new iPad (3rd Generation).

Edit:

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/siri/

See footnote at bottom of page.

KALLT
Jun 11, 2012, 02:19 PM
And now the interesting question: will Siri then come to other (older) devices too?

//It appears that someone was quicker than me. :-)

wolfpackfan
What??? It runs on a 3GS but not my iPad 1??? This is ridiculous. My iPad 1 is only 2 years old. Talk about planned obsolescense.

Mad Mac Maniac

nope. iPhone 4S and iPad 3 only

Navdakilla
Jun 11, 2012, 02:20 PM
hmmm. not groundbreaking like I was hoping, but I'll stay positive until I try it out on the new iphones coming this fall.

AuricBlue
iOS 6 will be compatible with the iPhone 3GS and later, 2nd-generation iPad and later, and the 4th-generation iPod touch and will be available in the fall.

The new iOS 6 features look nice. However, I am a little confused as to why the original iPad isn't supported when then iPhone 3GS is. The original iPad has the same amount of memory, the same graphics processor and a faster CPU.

The only reason I can think of them not allowing it is if iPad apps are more resource intensive with larger graphics etc. If it's just too poor of an experience, I can understand Apple not supporting iPad 1. I am hoping Apple will explain the reason though, as it's not terribly obvious.

ryanmcv

No. See the bottom of this (http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/siri/) page:

*Siri will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.

Pizzaboy13

Nope, read the footnote on http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/siri/

Now, go die in a hole with your outdated iphone

xforce11

I hope it does. . . .but I doubt it.

jonnysods
Jun 11, 2012, 02:21 PM
Glad I've got my dev license. If only I could get on there now, it's still down. The Maps app looks amazing.

Hoping that Siri comes to the iP4.

jjhny
I want facebook dis-integration. I want to be able to turn it off. Most people, except the hardcore narcissists are getting sick of facebook.

Try ghostery for safari and see facebook track you at almost every site you go to.

I like being connected to friends - but I don't like being connected to Zuckerberg - that guy give me the creeps!

bushido
apple what happened to your innovations :o

http://i50.tinypic.com/33oji42.png

those "new" features don't justify a "new iPhone" AT ALL. i'm guessing they are still holding some things back .. ? :confused:

bigjobby
Jun 11, 2012, 02:22 PM
Why would apple release iOS 6 in the fall? Mountain lion is almost useless without the iOS 6 software released! Unless they are releasing another iOS 6 device in the fall (7inch iPad) they have no other reason besides testing time to wait. I say that they should test it, give developers a month, and release it alongside mountain lion.

They'll probably release iOS6 at the same time as the iP5... marketing reasons.

muzzymate
Jun 11, 2012, 02:22 PM
Very disappointed that iOS6 is not coming to the first gen iPad. This really stinks for such an expensive device. Bought it last year and already the software support is ending. Will see what happens with iOS7 and if it drops support for iPad2 before I make any further purchases.

ECUpirate44
Jun 11, 2012, 02:24 PM
Siri looks awful on the iPad.

nickn
Jun 11, 2012, 02:25 PM
However, I am a little confused as to why the original iPad isn't supported when then iPhone 3GS is.

Well the difference is the iPhone 3GS is still currently being sold by Apple. The original iPad hasn't been sold for over a year.
Who cares? There is no reason why Apple couldn't put the software on the iPad 1.

Oh wait... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

Very disappointed that iOS6 is not coming to the first gen iPad. This really stinks for such an expensive device. Bought it last year and already the software support is ending. Will see what happens with iOS7 and if it drops support for iPad2 before I make any further purchases.
Don't be so cheap! Follow what Apple wants and put down at least $500 every year so you can replace your perfectly good, I mean really old and useless iPad with a brand new one! Don't you think $500 is worth it so you don't need to have a paper movie ticket anymore??? I go to the movies once every few months and I can see myself saving a few seconds every time! What an improvement, and it is certainly worth several weeks pay! Apple is too greedy now to care about the users, so unfortunately, our newer devices wont be getting support anymore.

Ansuz
I'm not sure I understand the point of "Do Not Disturb," especially if you have to go into settings and turn it on, then go back after and turn it off. I can accomplish a similar thing by powering off the phone. How is this better than Airplane Mode?

It actually has benefit for some people. I use the same phone number for work and personal. Now, on my days off I can tailor it so work numbers go straight to voicemail but my friends/family do not.

Risco
I don't know what you guys expected, but you only have to look at OSX to realise that it was only ever going to be evolutionary, not revolutionary. I was hoping for an updated Youtube app...One thing you have to say about iOS is it just works. I tried my Dad's android, and there are so many damn menus to go in out of. Then you have to remember to close apps, or you run out of memory and so and and so forth.

I am interested to see what the 200 "new features" are though.

rkahl
Jun 11, 2012, 02:27 PM
What??? It runs on a 3GS but not my iPad 1??? This is ridiculous. My iPad 1 is only 2 years old. Talk about planned obsolescense.

Many people are still under 2 yr contract with AT&T with their 3GS. I'm pretty sure Apple still has to provide updates to those under contracts.

Sensation
Jun 11, 2012, 02:28 PM
A lot of this has already been in Android, the passbook thing looks like a massive inferior copy of Google Wallet.

rkahl
Jun 11, 2012, 02:30 PM

iPad 2 and iPad 3 are almost the same. iPad 2 will be supported for a while.

lilo777
Jun 11, 2012, 02:32 PM
I do not see them mentioning any Siri API. So, no Siri for any applications but those provided by Apple, right?

nickn
Jun 11, 2012, 02:32 PM
iPad 2 and iPad 3 are almost the same. iPad 2 will be supported for a while.

But the iPad 1 and iPod Touch 4th gen are the same and look at what happened....

Force332
Jun 11, 2012, 02:34 PM
Didn't see this anywhere, but is there still no quick way to turn on/off wifi, bluetooth, etc. from anywhere other than the settings app? If this was mentioned, I missed it.

wolfpackfan
Jun 11, 2012, 02:37 PM
Regarding the iPad 1, I guess we should have seen this coming when they kept iPhoto from running on it. I had planned on getting a new iPad this fall, but I just hate these things like this that Apple does. It just makes them seem so greedy. I've already bought a new Mac mini this year, because they said ML wouldn't run on my old mini. I guess their plan is you HAVE to buy new hardware every 2-3 years, if you want to keep upgrading your software.

getburl
Jun 11, 2012, 02:37 PM
When I just found a network that values privacy at tagalong.io and now my favorite tech company goes the opposite direction, I am at a crossroads now. I am so tired of everything having to create some global story of me shared with the rest of the world. Every app will have all these prompts to integrate with Facebook or twitter or it will happen automatically because I logged into FB once in safari? FB in my browser and on every site I visit is too much for me now. And if I upgrade now I gotta worry about FB all over my computer? This reminds me of back in the day when I would install AOL on my windows machine and that crap spread everywhere in my system. It was a virus. FB is a virus.

nickn
Jun 11, 2012, 02:39 PM
This was posted by biff98786 over at Engadget. http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/wwdc-2012-keynote-roundup/
Again I didn't compile this, but I totally agree with it...

"A brief recap of Apple’s “innovation” in the last few iOS
versions:

iOS5:

Voice dictation – Stolen from Android, Siri was nothing more
than using Android’s idea and “one-upping” them

OTA updates – Stolen from Android

Notification bar – Shamelessly stolen from Android

Cloud services – Stolen from Android

iOS6:

You can now ask Siri how tall LeBron is – Ok…

Facebook and Twitter integration throughout the OS – Stolen from
Android, WebOS, and WP

Contact syncing – Stolen from Android

Homescreen actions when a call comes in – Stolen from
Android

Do Not Disturb mode – Stolen from Cyanogen (aka Android)

Tab syncing in Safari – Stolen from Google (Chrome)

Lockscreen notifications – Stolen from Android

Turn-by-turn navigation – Stolen from Android

3D maps – Stolen from Google"

I would also like to add Apple ticket app is pretty similar to Google Wallet for Android, so really, what has Apple done lately?? How ironic they sue everyone for supposedly copying them, but yet they themselves clearly copy more than anybody. I truly hope Google gives them a taste of their own medicine and sues Apple, as some of these points, such as the I am unavailable text messages when a call comes in, are such a blatant rip off of Android it isn't even funny.

neiltc13
Jun 11, 2012, 02:41 PM
The phone text reply thing is copied from Android 4 (http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57352293-285/how-to-decline-a-phone-call-with-a-custom-text-message-on-ics/).

Cloud syncing of tabs has been around for a long time, Safari is just catching up.

Facebook integration has been in every mobile OS except iOS for months/years.

Turn by Turn navigation is free on Android and Nokia Windows Phones already.

Siri's local business listings is a copy of Local Scout (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-gb/howto/wp7/web/local-scout.aspx) for Windows Phone 7.

So yeah, it seems like this year WWDC has been all about Cupertino's photocopier.

yesnek
Jun 11, 2012, 02:42 PM
safari seems snappier!

;)

RollTide1017
Jun 11, 2012, 02:43 PM
That's got to be the dumbest excuse I've ever heard. I have an 8 year old laptop with Windows XP that still gets updates from Microsoft. No, the real reason Apple isn't supporting the iPad 1 is greed. Apple says "if you aren't willing to spend at least $500 on a new iPad every few years then you aren't worth our time."

rkahl
Jun 11, 2012, 02:43 PM
This was posted by biff98786 over at Engadget. http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/wwdc-2012-keynote-roundup/

versions:

iOS5:

iOS6:

Android, WebOS, and WP

Android

I would also like to add Apple ticket app is pretty similar to Google Wallet for Android, so really, what has Apple done lately?? How ironic they sue everyone for supposedly copying them, but yet they themselves clearly copy more than anybody.

Maybe you should buy a Samsung then and stop reading MacRumor's.

miamialley
Jun 11, 2012, 02:44 PM
iOS 6: Playing catch up to Android and jailbreak. How amazing Apple.

thefourthpope

1. You can tell it to let information from specific contacts through, so you can still get, say, emails from your boss.
2. It keeps the connection running in the background, but turns off notifications. That way, you will still have all the emails, messages, etc, loaded when you check. As opposed to waiting for your phone to find a signal and spin through loading everything.

At least this is my take from a read of the macrumors live update. Sounds wonderful to me. It's what I can do with SBSettings, but without the jailbreak.

Certinfy
Android and Windows Phone NEVER looked better!

VinnyChau
Jun 11, 2012, 02:46 PM

Excellent point, but if I were to play the "Devil's Advocate" the issue is the 3GS is still available for sale, whereas the first-generation iPad is not. Dropping 3GS support would be huge fail in terms of selling the phone cheaply in emerging markets.

NightFox
Jun 11, 2012, 02:46 PM
Well iOS6 is now up on the Dev site, but you need to backup/restore to iTunes 10.6.3 Beta... and the link to the new iTunes Beta just takes you to the current 10.6.1 release!

:eek:

duction
Jun 11, 2012, 02:47 PM
wow so far so good, i bet they are holding out on all the cool stuff for the actual phone release though :)

nickn
Jun 11, 2012, 02:47 PM

I have an HTC Evo smartphone. It is much nicer than any mobile Apple devices I have had, or used. In the mean time though, while I await my new Asus Transformer, I still have my ****** iPad 1. I was hoping that perhaps the update would make it a little more bearable, but alas no.

The phone text reply thing is copied from Android 4 (http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57352293-285/how-to-decline-a-phone-call-with-a-custom-text-message-on-ics/).

At least on my old LG, that capability was even in Android 2.2 from several years ago.

burnside
Jun 11, 2012, 02:49 PM
I don't know what you guys expected, but you only have to look at OSX to realise that it was only ever going to be evolutionary, not revolutionary. I was hoping for an updated Youtube app...One thing you have to say about iOS is it just works. I tried my Dad's android, and there are so many damn menus to go in out of. Then you have to remember to close apps, or you run out of memory and so and and so forth.

I am interested to see what the 200 "new features" are though.

For a company always bragging how much better their phones are than Android, it is pretty pathetic when most of your new features are already present on Android.

Ping Guo
Jun 11, 2012, 02:51 PM
iOS is looking tired and bloated. Microsoft is doing impressive things with WP8. Nokia Lumia will be my next phone... :o

thefourthpope
Jun 11, 2012, 02:51 PM

Cloud syncing of tabs has been around for a long time, Safari is just catching up.

Facebook integration has been in every mobile OS except iOS for months/years.

Turn by Turn navigation is free on Android and Nokia Windows Phones already.

Siri's local business listings is a copy of Local Scout (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-gb/howto/wp7/web/local-scout.aspx) for Windows Phone 7.

So yeah, it seems like this year WWDC has been all about Cupertino's photocopier.

How upsetting for you. I hope you can still find some use for the these (new to apple) features. I know I can barely make a call on my iPhone. My home phone was already doing that so many years ago...;)

Frazzle
Jun 11, 2012, 02:52 PM
Siri only on iPhone 4S and iPad 3, therefore navigation and flyover also only on those devices, VIP mailbox only from iPhone 4 and iPad 2 onwards (?!), Shared Streams only from iPhone 4 and iPad 2 onwards, hearing aids only from 4S onwards, FaceTime over cellular from iPad 2 and iPhone 4 onwards...

See? The iPhone 3GS may be getting iOS 6, but in name only.

Meanwhile, the iPad 1, a perfectly functional device, gets relegated to the technical scrapheap. They can sum up how 'green' they are on all the new MacBooks all they want, but this planned obsolescence for the iPad more than 'makes up' for that. Very disappointing.

Minimoose 360
Jun 11, 2012, 02:52 PM
Apple is officially the Brool Story Co.

snarestud940
Jun 11, 2012, 02:53 PM
Will siri work on an.iPad 3 with only WiFi?

nefan65
iOS is looking tired and bloated. Microsoft is doing impressive things with WP8. Nokia Lumia will be my next phone... :o

Don't let the door hit in you in the fanny on the way out.

techkidd4400
I want facebook dis-integration. I want to be able to turn it off. Most people, except the hardcore narcissists are getting sick of facebook.

Try ghostery for safari and see facebook track you at almost every site you go to.

I like being connected to friends - but I don't like being connected to Zuckerberg - that guy give me the creeps!

I don't have a problem with Zuckerberg - he earned his luck fair and square - but integrating facebook in iOS6 is an incredibly bad idea. With all of the data Apple, Facebook, and the cell phone service provider will be able to share from our use of the iPhone, they really ought to pay us for carrying around these phones. Hopefully, in about a year Apple will regain their common sense and regret this move and dis-integrate facebook from iOS6.

VSMacOne
Jun 11, 2012, 02:54 PM
Cue the usual complainers after an iOS release... By the time iPhone 5 and the final iOS 6 launches in the fall, i'm sure the tone will change again :rolleyes:

nefan65
Siri only on iPhone 4S and iPad 3, therefore navigation and flyover also only on those devices, VIP mailbox only from iPhone 4 and iPad 2 onwards (?!), Shared Streams only from iPhone 4 and iPad 2 onwards, hearing aids only from 4S onwards, FaceTime over cellular from iPad 2 and iPhone 4 onwards...

Meanwhile, the iPad 1, a perfectly functional device, gets relegated to the technical scrapheap. They can sum up how 'green' they are on all the new MacBooks all they want, but this planned obsolescence for the iPad more than 'makes up' for that. Very disappointing.

Ahhh...semantics, I love it!

Risco

versions:

iOS5:

iOS6:

Android, WebOS, and WP

Android

I would also like to add Apple ticket app is pretty similar to Google Wallet for Android, so really, what has Apple done lately?? How ironic they sue everyone for supposedly copying them, but yet they themselves clearly copy more than anybody. I truly hope Google gives them a taste of their own medicine and sues Apple, as some of these points, such as the I am unavailable text messages when a call comes in, are such a blatant rip off of Android it isn't even funny.

What a silly post, do you want me to list the amount of things Android "stole" from iOS? I think you will find that Android would not have an operating system if they were forced to remove multi touch and pinch to zoom. ;)

Piggie
Sorry, but that was iOS6 the most boring, tedious, lacklustre and disappointing thing I've ever watched.

Siri Siri, Sports (yawn)
Busy messages (yawn)
Cloud stuff (yawn)

Where was all the NEW stuff that actually made any difference?
Same old UI with nothing new to add STILL.

And there was me thinking, OMG, my iPad 1 will not be able to use this, according the the news reports, will I be missing out on anything new and cool?

Errr, no. Nothing there I think I'd even notice if I did upgrade to iOS6

What a shame, and they think the UI and everything about the "User Experience" of iOS is the most advanced and full featured of any mobile OS in the world?

Sheesh, Even a quick jailbrake, which I have not done, adds features some people feel they can't live without.

Why don't Apple do something new for once?

Sorry, but really disappointed by iOS6 after all the speculation and build up.
:(

nefan65
Jun 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
I have an HTC Evo smartphone. It is much nicer than any mobile Apple devices I have had, or used. In the mean time though, while I await my new Asus Transformer, I still have my ****** iPad 1. I was hoping that perhaps the update would make it a little more bearable, but alas no.

At least on my old LG, that capability was even in Android 2.2 from several years ago.

Sell it and get a Honeycomb Hideout tablet.

lilo777
Jun 11, 2012, 02:55 PM

Maybe you should do this too? :D

Frenchjay
Jun 11, 2012, 02:56 PM
Let's see....

FaceTime over 3G - 3G unrestrictor in Cydia for years,

Pull to refresh Safari - in Cydia for years,

Facebook in notification centre - Weefacebook in Cydia,

Do not disturb -literally DoNotDisturb in Cydia,

No stock app refresh or small UI redesign?

SBlue1
Passbook looks great. Lets hope lots of companies are going to use it.

chr1s60

You do realize that almost of site on the internet does the tracking you speak of, right? Yes Facebook does too, but pretty much every site you go to does. And Collusion is a much better program than ghostery.

NightFox
Jun 11, 2012, 02:57 PM
And STILL no Ping integration :rolleyes:

nefan65
Jun 11, 2012, 02:57 PM
Let's see....

Great, if you want to JB your phone. 95% of the people who own an iPhone don't care, or want to do this.

Frenchjay
Jun 11, 2012, 02:59 PM
Great, if you want to JB your phone. 95% of the people who own an iPhone don't care, or want to do this.

The point is Apple should have done this years ago. Your holding back not jailbreaking. People have had this stuff for a long time so don't be surprised when we find it underwhelming.

KikoPT
Jun 11, 2012, 03:01 PM
There is really no motive in terms of hardware for not supporting iPad 1. If 3GS is supported, iPad 1 should also.

I've got both and was waiting for the iPhone 5 to upgrade, but after this, i'm getting a bit pissed at Apple.

My older 3GS, which is slower than the iPad 1 will support iOS 6 ... my iPad won't ...

I'm really unhappy about this. Even considering giving my iPad 1 to my girlfriend feels kinda stupid now ...

This is Apple just forcing you to upgrade :(

NightFox
Well iOS6 is now up on the Dev site, but you need to backup/restore to iTunes 10.6.3 Beta... and the link to the new iTunes Beta just takes you to the current 10.6.1 release!

:eek:

10.6.3 is now up as the latest public release :cool:

kiwiboi87

umm because new builds of iOS, take months, and also they will push it out with the new iPhone.
like last year

new iOS, new iPhone

iCloud on the mac, will still work fine with iOS 5.1

chr1s60
Jun 11, 2012, 03:02 PM

versions:

iOS5:

iOS6:

Android, WebOS, and WP

Android

Some of these things were available via jailbreak before Android was released. Stop crediting Android with them. And the fact that they credit Android with being the first with turn by turn directions is completely laughable.

Sensamic
Jun 11, 2012, 03:02 PM
Im glad Apple copies Android or WP7 or whatever because I think they make those features more stable and better.

Thats the difference between ios and Android. That... and fragmentation.

Do I want these features with touchwiz or sense skin on Android or do I want them on ios which is always a better implementation?

maroontiger2k9
Jun 11, 2012, 03:03 PM
Passbook.. My body is ready.. All it needs is wave to pay or some sort of epay feature at any store

Foxykhat
Jun 11, 2012, 03:03 PM
People own a product, compare it to others, say they wish it had this and that, like the ones they are comparing it to, then when they get it, they say stolen from :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You really can't please people.

Foxy

corfio
Jun 11, 2012, 03:07 PM
So I dont know if someone mentioned this... When you go to look at apple.com and iOS 6 page, there are many pics. On some of those pics you can clearly see different iPhone, different from my 4, or 4s. Is it just me or they leaked images of the new iPhone?

http://i47.tinypic.com/21eqmmf.jpg

As you can see on the pic, there is camera the normal "speakerphone" and one extra on top? :confused:

Am I right? Or maybe I am imagining things?

burnside
Jun 11, 2012, 03:09 PM
Im glad Apple copies Android or WP7 or whatever because I think they make those features more stable and better.

Do I want these features with touchwiz or sense skin on Android or do I want them on ios which is always a better implementation?

I hear what you're saying, but many of us expect more from Apple when it comes to innovation. Not one thing today about iOS6 made me say "WOW! Apple has done it again."

Force332
Jun 11, 2012, 03:09 PM
Let's see....

Lose/lose for Apple. People complain that Apple doesn't have certain things built in natively that are jailbreak tweaks. Then they do add them in and those people complain that they added tweaks that were already available when jail breaking. Anyone else see how this doesn't make sense?

burnside
Jun 11, 2012, 03:13 PM
Lose/lose for Apple. People complain that Apple doesn't have certain things built in natively that are jailbreak tweaks. Then they do add them in and those people complain that they added tweaks that were already available when jail breaking. Anyone else see how this doesn't make sense?

Yes, makes sense to me. Your event should tout features that are new to the market, a first. I think they did fine with the new MacBook Pro, that's what I expect from an event of this magnitude. When your event highlights features that have been around on other devices for more than a year, don't even bother bringing them up. Just list them on your website at this rate.

nefan65
Jun 11, 2012, 03:14 PM

It's really just these boards. This is the minority, and the majority will continue to buy their products regardless. If/when the day comes that the majority doesn't do that, then something or someone else will be the new greatest thing on the block.

For me it's a matter of new functionality, and some new apps. As long as you're happy, and enjoy it, F' the rest of them.

jhsfosho
Jun 11, 2012, 03:17 PM
So I dont know if someone mentioned this... When you go to look at apple.com and iOS 6 page, there are many pics. On some of those pics you can clearly see different iPhone, different from my 4, or 4s. Is it just me or they leaked images of the new iPhone?

Image (http://i47.tinypic.com/21eqmmf.jpg)

As you can see on the pic, there is camera the normal "speakerphone" and one extra on top? :confused:

It's just your imagination. I think the top "hole" is just for the proximity sensor. That's how the 4S looks like anyway.

Sensation
Jun 11, 2012, 03:18 PM
this was posted by biff98786 over at engadget. http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/wwdc-2012-keynote-roundup/
again i didn't compile this, but i totally agree with it...

"a brief recap of apple’s “innovation” in the last few ios
versions:

Ios5:

Voice dictation – stolen from android, siri was nothing more
than using android’s idea and “one-upping” them

ota updates – stolen from android

notification bar – shamelessly stolen from android

cloud services – stolen from android

ios6:

You can now ask siri how tall lebron is – ok…

facebook and twitter integration throughout the os – stolen from
android, webos, and wp

contact syncing – stolen from android

homescreen actions when a call comes in – stolen from
android

do not disturb mode – stolen from cyanogen (aka android)

tab syncing in safari – stolen from google (chrome)

lockscreen notifications – stolen from android

turn-by-turn navigation – stolen from android

3d maps – stolen from google"

i would also like to add apple ticket app is pretty similar to google wallet for android, so really, what has apple done lately?? How ironic they sue everyone for supposedly copying them, but yet they themselves clearly copy more than anybody. I truly hope google gives them a taste of their own medicine and sues apple, as some of these points, such as the i am unavailable text messages when a call comes in, are such a blatant rip off of android it isn't even funny.

qft

burnside
Jun 11, 2012, 03:19 PM

Imagining things. That's how the iPhone 4s looks like.

bushido

lol thats just the sensor, you only see it on the white iPhone because well its not black haha

mtreys

Agreed. I think Apple implements their "copied" ideas better than any other company does. I think that's why a percentage of people chose Apple devices over Android/WMO. What people seem to ignore is a company releasing a product that functions terribly doesn't mean that another company hasn't been trying to perfect it before that. Look at MMS with 3.0. The usual people complained and now how many people with iPhones can remember a time when you couldn't natively send MMS with an iPhone?

corfio
It's just your imagination. I think the top "hole" is just for the proximity sensor. That's how the 4S looks like anyway.

My bad. I was looking at the black iPhone 4S and it doesnt have this proximity sensor, or at least on their website. Thanks for clearing that up.

RoboCop001
Jun 11, 2012, 03:20 PM
How does Game Centre still not have a messaging/chat service???

JST
Jun 11, 2012, 03:21 PM

versions:

iOS5:

iOS6:

Android, WebOS, and WP

Android

Good post! I couldn't agree more. Lots of whiny Apple fan boys on here. I mean I like Apple, but that doesn't make me blind towards other products and I also don't have to like every Apple product.

For example, I have no interest in more facebook integration and nobody I know has any interest in it either. It is already too much!

Siri improvements? Let's be honest. Siri is a 5 minute joke for most people and otherwise only geeks are using it... The biggest improvement would be to remove it!

I am also not impressed with the new map software from Apple. Quite frankly Google is like miles ahead in that area and I think it is a bad move to start something new in an area where you can't compete.

burnside
Jun 11, 2012, 03:24 PM
Agreed. I think Apple implements their "copied" ideas better than any other company does. I think that's why a percentage of people chose Apple devices over Android/WMO. What people seem to ignore is a company releasing a product that functions terribly doesn't mean that another company hasn't been trying to perfect it before that. Look at MMS with 2.0. The usual people complained and now how many people with iPhones can remember a time when you couldn't natively send MMS with an iPhone?

I love my iPhone because of the apps and how stable they run. I have no argument about Apple copying a feature and making it better. I just have an issue when that is the meat of your event for iOS6. Honestly, VIP and Do Not Disturb made it to the highlight real? Asking who is taller, Lebron or Kobe?

This is what Apple is proud of?

SHirsch999
Jun 11, 2012, 03:28 PM

versions:

iOS5:

iOS6:

Android, WebOS, and WP

Android

Who cares!! I saw a commercial this morning that had a little green droid playing with an iPhone. At least I thought it was an iPhone - looked just like one - and I was wondering what was going on, why is the little droid guy playing with an iPhone? Turned out that the phone was a Samsung phone, unsure which one but aren't they all basically the same. I can now understand all of the accusations that Samsung copied Apple's design. Bottom line is that they all copy each other's good ideas. It's time to get over it.

BWhaler
Jun 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
Re: Facebook

The billion dollar question is: will Apple restrict, or force Facebook to get permission, of private information on the phone?

As we saw with Path, just blindly trusting developers, particularly advertising-based apps, to follow the rules is foolish. By the time they get caught, your information is gone.

I, for one, think it would be nuts to give Facebook access to your Mac and iPhone at an OS level. How long did it take us to see Google's "Don't be Evil" was just an opiate.

I hope Apple is smart about this.

MattInOz
Jun 11, 2012, 03:31 PM

Who in turn stole it from newton OS via palm
Most of this stuff is only stollen from android if you only consider the last 5 years.

JaHawk2009
Jun 11, 2012, 03:32 PM
I have 2 questions about this update.

One, do I have to have Facebook integration, or can I just not bother with it?
Two, will Siri work on iPads which only have WiFi or is cellular data a pre-requisite?

lilo777
Jun 11, 2012, 03:36 PM
Who in turn stole it from newton OS via palm
Most of this stuff is only stollen from android if you only consider the last 5 years.

"Stolen" or not. The important point is that Android got all these features first. It just shows how far behind Android iOS really is.

MonkeySee....
Jun 11, 2012, 03:41 PM
Hope apple pull their head out their arse and give us guys in Europe all the features the US get. The fact that we will haven't got the old features is a piss take

mtreys
Jun 11, 2012, 03:45 PM
I love my iPhone because of the apps and how stable they run. I have no argument about Apple copying a feature and making it better. I just have an issue when that is the meat of your event for iOS6. Honestly, VIP and Do Not Disturb made it to the highlight real? Asking who is taller, Lebron or Kobe?

This is what Apple is proud of?

I think more features will be shown with the release of the next gen iPhone. Remember, this iOS is released for this fall, right about the same time. Yes, I agree that Do Not Disturb isn't something to be overly thrilled with, it is something small and neat some find useful. Hell, even 3D maps don't thrill me. They give us 3D maps, turn by turn, more ways to use data (FB, Twitter integration, iCloud, etc.), FaceTime over cellular.....AFTER carriers have put caps on data? I'm not thrilled by any stretch of the imagination, but it's hard to be happy when leaks and gossip have our imaginations running wild for weeks in advance.

surma884
Jun 11, 2012, 03:45 PM

versions:

iOS5:

iOS6:

Android, WebOS, and WP

Android

Didn't Android steal the whole concept of the iPhone (touch screen and OS)? It's called competition.

MonkeySee....
Jun 11, 2012, 03:52 PM

versions:

iOS5:

iOS6:

Android, WebOS, and WP

Android

Who cares? I only care apple and their OS. People should give a crap who stole what from who. And even if you do care, just because one company brings it out first doesn't mean they are the all mighty. I'm looking forward to a polished apple version.

I bloody hate posts like this. Sad sad sad

----------

For a company always bragging how much better their phones are than Android, it is pretty pathetic when most of your new features are already present on Android.

Why are you even in this thread? People like you make this forum unbearable

Giuly
Jun 11, 2012, 03:59 PM
Suck it, you miserable piece of AT&T.

(How many seconds of FaceTime HD calls equal a 1GB cap again? :rolleyes:)

Edit: OTA updates - stolen from Android, which stole it from OS X, which stole it from MacOS, which might have stolen it from Redhat's up2date service. But in the end it's feature that every device should have, Android wasn't the first to have it, nor will iOS be the last.
Turn-by-turn navigation - stolen from Android, which stole it from Navigon and TomTom, which (...) Sputnik 1.
Phone calls - Stolen from Mr. Bell. :rolleyes:

quixotic
Jun 11, 2012, 04:06 PM
How 'bout just plain and simple keychain syncing? Annoying that I have to open keychain on my Mac so I can get my password to log into some website with my iPad.:confused:

QCassidy352
Jun 11, 2012, 04:08 PM
New maps - awesome.
Siri - good... But not far enough. What about "turn off Bluetooth," "turn on airplane mode," "silent ringer," that kind of thing?
Passbook - could be really nice, a huge leap forward, even. But will need a lot of providers to get on board. Otherwise it become like newsstand - no apps use it, and I can't delete it.
Facebook - sigh. Whatever.

Oh, and iCloud tabs?? Awesome!!

burnside
Jun 11, 2012, 04:15 PM
I think more features will be shown with the release of the next gen iPhone. Remember, this iOS is released for this fall, right about the same time. Yes, I agree that Do Not Disturb isn't something to be overly thrilled with, it is something small and neat some find useful. Hell, even 3D maps don't thrill me. They give us 3D maps, turn by turn, more ways to use data (FB, Twitter integration, iCloud, etc.), FaceTime over cellular.....AFTER carriers have put caps on data? I'm not thrilled by any stretch of the imagination, but it's hard to be happy when leaks and gossip have our imaginations running wild for weeks in advance.

Hehe, don't care about the 3D maps either. I have had built in GPS in all my cars since 2004, so I almost never use the maps app anyway. I know many others use maps on the iphone, tho, so I can understand some Apple pride in that.

I agree, hopefully come October or so we'll see more features for the next gen iPhone. Still, a pretty underwhelming day. :(

----------

Why are you even in this thread? People like you make this forum unbearable

Unbearable? Really? Were you that excited after the iOS6 announcements? Now that was unbearable.

I've been using Apple products since the early 80s dude. I call it like I see it and today, I didn't see anything in iOS6 that should have garnered so much attention. Like I said earlier, MacBook Pro was a great surprise and what I would expect from Apple. Great job there.

WannaGoMac
Jun 11, 2012, 04:28 PM
How 'bout just plain and simple keychain syncing? Annoying that I have to open keychain on my Mac so I can get my password to log into some website with my iPad.:confused:

Last pass. 1password.

Ciclismo
Jun 11, 2012, 04:30 PM

I'm not going to lie to you, but that sounds like a pretty lame excuse to me. Especially considering that I am being told that my iPad, bought on release day in August of 2010 in New Zealand is no longer going to be supported before the extended Apple Care runs out is a bitter pill to swallow.

kyledouglas
Jun 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
I very rarely post, but I noticed a little tweak in iOS 6 nobody has seemed to mention. Instead of "Kyle Hudgins would like to FaceTime." the dialog is "Kyle Hudgins would like FaceTime."

Cool.

viewfly
Jun 11, 2012, 04:39 PM
Lots of whiny people here. They only showed 10 out of 200 new features in iOS 6 ( i.e. 5%). Maybe wifi/BT turn on in notification's center will be there...just that Apple doesn't think it is a big feature...which I do agree...a nice to have but...

Anyhow, I do like that they are putting back OpenTable into Siri, along with Siri started apps.

And the maps do look very good. I bet this was started years ago, when SJ found out about Android...hit google where it hurts. ;)

I'm quite happy with 5.1.1 and iOS 6 adds some more things. I don't see much to be disappointed with, for those that use the phone...what were you expecting?

An anti-gravity device?

Anyhow, with only 5% of the features demo'd, just give it a break.

lilo777
Jun 11, 2012, 04:42 PM
Engadget reported that Apple is using TomTom (TeleAtlas) data in their map application. Google dumped TeleAtlas in 2009 (at least as far as USA and Europe are concerned) in favor of in-house mapping solution (StreetView).

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 11, 2012, 04:59 PM
Who cares? There is no reason why Apple couldn't put the software on the iPad 1.

That's got to be the dumbest excuse I've ever heard. I have an 8 year old laptop with Windows XP that still gets updates from Microsoft. No, the real reason Apple isn't supporting the iPad 1 is greed. Apple says "if you aren't willing to spend at least $500 on a new iPad every few years then you aren't worth our time."

I'm not going to lie to you, but that sounds like a pretty lame excuse to me.

I never said it was a good excuse, but it is the truth. By the time iOS 6 is released it will have been 2 and a half years since the iPad 1 was released and a year and a half since it was discontinued. Before you get too upset just take a step back and remember that these are FREE updates. Apple never promised anything. Actually I take that back, they did promise that iPad 1 purchasers would get 1 free major OS update. That was iOS 4. iOS 5 was just a bonus (and possibly because some iPad 1 buyers purchased after iOS 4 came out). Sure you could maybe argue that Apple should let you update for a $10-$20 purchase.

This isn't the mac where Apple will support it for 5-6 years. Apple has mentioned they expect shorter buying cycles on the iPad, now it will certainly be true. Although I do expect the iPad 2 to be supported on iOS 7, because they will most likely continue to be sold until next March.

NumberNine
Jun 11, 2012, 05:22 PM
Still no easy way to toggle Bluetooth on/off?

MonkeySee....
Jun 11, 2012, 05:23 PM
Hehe, don't care about the 3D maps either. I have had built in GPS in all my cars since 2004, so I almost never use the maps app anyway. I know many others use maps on the iphone, tho, so I can understand some Apple pride in that.

I agree, hopefully come October or so we'll see more features for the next gen iPhone. Still, a pretty underwhelming day. :(

----------

Unbearable? Really? Were you that excited after the iOS6 announcements? Now that was unbearable.

I've been using Apple products since the early 80s dude. I call it like I see it and today, I didn't see anything in iOS6 that should have garnered so much attention. Like I said earlier, MacBook Pro was a great surprise and what I would expect from Apple. Great job there.

Yes, unbearable. Congrats on your Apple history but you clearly don't use iOS so why do you have any interest in this thread??

eezing
Jun 11, 2012, 05:42 PM
"Stolen" or not. The important point is that Android got all these features first. It just shows how far behind Android iOS really is.

What android version you running on your phone?

Virinprew
Jun 11, 2012, 05:45 PM
So it works on the slower 3GS, but not on the iPad 1? Ok, then..... I'm not too disappointed though, as iOS 6 doesn't appear to be bringing anything major to the OS anyways. Also, I find it very humorous that Apple shows charts about how Android is all fragmented, and how most users are on 2.3, but yet that is exactly what is going to happen to Apple themselves. Soon, you will still have some people on legacy devices using 3.1.3, more people on 2nd gen stuff on iOS 4, many newer devices left behind such as iPad 1 and 3rd gen Touch users on iOS 5, and the rest on iOS 6. How is that not fragmentation?

Too bad. You don't have the number to show.

peterbaby
Jun 11, 2012, 05:50 PM
Siri now available in French???
Sorry but French was one of the first supported languages, small error in article ;-)

No, the real problem is elsewhere. Siri is still half of what it should be here in Europe. No geo data is ridiculous, I understand Apple may not have commercial agreements to list "pizza places fairly close to me" on the old continent, but when I want Siri to remind me something when I get home, why can't she? It's not like the GPS doesn't work here, we've got water, electricity, and even satellites over our heads ;-)

Maybe, though I don't see a direct link, some location based services will finally come to Europe after Apple dumps google. In the meantime, it's still annoying to hear "sorry Pierre, I can't give directions in Germany"...which Apple was willing to change by end 2011.

This affects everybody in Europe by the way, if you're from the US, sitting in a Starbucks in Berlin, Siri will remain mute as to what's around you.

Virinprew
Jun 11, 2012, 05:53 PM

versions:

iOS5:

iOS6:

Android, WebOS, and WP

Android

Just use the d*** device and go make money or something.

lilo777
Jun 11, 2012, 05:57 PM
What android version you running on your phone?

Android 4.0.4 (it's a GSM version of Galaxy Nexus)

Westyfield2
Jun 11, 2012, 05:57 PM
Bit disappointed to see no iPad 1 support.

If there wasn't iPhone 3GS support I wouldn't grumble, but given that they both have 256MB RAM, and the CPU is similar in both (iPhone is Samsung APL0298C05 with ARM Cortex-A8 CPU core underclocked to 600 MHz and iPad is Apple A4 with ARM Cortex-A8 CPU core clocked to 1GHz), and the GPU is PowerVR SGX 535 in both, I'd say the grumble is legit.

Virinprew
Jun 11, 2012, 05:58 PM
Let's see....

Yeah. Cydia expert. You want to hear that right?

sazivad
Jun 11, 2012, 06:05 PM
versions:

iOS5:

1. Voice dictation – Stolen from Android, Siri was nothing more

2. OTA updates – Stolen from Android

3. Notification bar – Shamelessly stolen from Android

4. Cloud services – Stolen from Android

iOS6:

5. You can now ask Siri how tall LeBron is – Ok…

6. Facebook and Twitter integration throughout the OS – Stolen from
Android, WebOS, and WP

7. Contact syncing – Stolen from Android

8. Homescreen actions when a call comes in – Stolen from
Android

9. Do Not Disturb mode – Stolen from Cyanogen (aka Android)

10. Tab syncing in Safari – Stolen from Google (Chrome)

11. Lockscreen notifications – Stolen from Android

12. Turn-by-turn navigation – Stolen from Android

13. 3D maps – Stolen from Google"

14. Apple ticket app is pretty similar to Google Wallet

15. I am unavailable text messages when a call comes in
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 11, 12, and 13 Android did not have first. They copied it from other people too. And 9 is from an unofficial Android mod, and 14 you say yourself is "pretty similar," aka not really.

Although not one single feature in iOS 6 was new, it's always been like this. Apple takes a good idea from someone else, improves it, polishes it, and integrates it with their vast hardware and software ecosystem. At this particular WWDC such improving may have been even more obvious.

Nanasaki
Jun 11, 2012, 06:19 PM
Why not on iPad 2? Same processor as iPhone 4S and higher speed? In which way iPad 2 cannot run Siri? Also will Siri finally provide maps and dirction in Canada?

If iPod Touch 4G would run iOS 6 why not on the damn iPad 1?

Very disappionted by Apple.

Flitzy
Jun 11, 2012, 06:20 PM

versions:

You forgot:

"Android: Stolen from Apple"

But I don't expect Engadget to be anything less than 100% unadulterated Android-bots.

Bilbo63
Jun 11, 2012, 06:23 PM
Personally, I like what they announced just fine. Yes quite a few of the features have been available on jail broke devices for some time. The thing is, I don't want to jailbreak my device. Some people want to jailbreak their devices and that's cool, I'm just not one of them.

A jailbroken device enjoys a constant flow of new ideas 365 days a year. There are some really talented developers and wonderful ideas seeded in the jailbreak community. The jailbreak developers rock and ultimately it's great for the iOS platform.

Apple on the other hand, updates iOS once a year, so it stands to reason that the rest of us are getting some of these nice features a bit later. If a new feature get's developed within Apple, it needs to wait until the next iOS release and that can be year later.

That said, for me personally, there is not a killer app or killer feature for me to feel as though I simply must jailbreak my device, so I'm fine with waiting for the iOS updates. In most cases (but not all) I prefer Apple's refined implementation anyway.

As far as not supporting older devices, like the iPad 1, I understand your frustration, however that's never been an issue for me. I always have a line up of people asking me if they can buy my 3 year old 27 inch iMac or 2 year old iPhone. I can easily sell the device for a good resale price, invest a little more money and have the latest tech again. It's never been a problem for me. I rotate my main workstation every 3 years and could probably update every 2 years if I wanted to. I already have 3 people wanting to buy my iPhone 4S if I want to move to the iPhone 5 in the fall.

Apple's gear really holds it's value for resale. See how much you can get for a 1 year old Nokia Android phone? Oddly enough all 3 people that want my iPhone 4S are dumping their Androids.

I have an iPad 2, that I'll likely keep until the next flavour of iPad is released. My iPad 2 does everything that I need it to.

In short, while I don't choose to jailbreak my devices, I support the jailbreak communities efforts, new ideas are great for everyone.

If Android is to your liking, go use it. Be happy.

slimbek
Jun 11, 2012, 06:29 PM

versions:

iOS5:

iOS6:

Android, WebOS, and WP

Android

Android - Stolen from Apple.

bedifferent
Jun 11, 2012, 06:43 PM
Passbook in iOS 6 seems to be a perfect application in preparation for an NFC iPhone 5:

Mastercard/Paypass to be NFC partner with Apple on iPhone 5? (http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/30/mastercardpaypass-to-be-nfc-partner-with-apple-on-iphone-5/)

dsass600
Jun 11, 2012, 07:17 PM
iOS is getting quite bloated. They need to slim down like HTC did with Sense 4.0

uknowimright
Jun 11, 2012, 07:27 PM
Didn't Android steal the whole concept of the iPhone (touch screen and OS)? It's called competition.

nope, you just want to believe that

spillproof
Jun 11, 2012, 07:28 PM
Maps didn't disappoint me as much as I thought it would.

Siri knowing Sports will be great if it works well with College Football. I expect it will, but Siri has been know to be limited to particular aspects (e.g. only restaurants listed in Yelp).

Troneas
Jun 11, 2012, 07:29 PM
disappointed.

i was hoping for a revamped interface. especially the lock screen.

mosx
Jun 11, 2012, 08:07 PM

Apple continues to sell the original iPad to this day http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB293LL/A http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC349LL/A

Doesn't matter that Apple doesn't sell the original iPad new any more. The cost of the original iPad (well, any iPad) means the device deserves to have at least a half decade of usable life. By cutting support for the device while many people are still under AppleCare warranty, and while you can still buy it with a full warranty and add AppleCare, shows that Apple clearly DOES NOT care about customers. It is all about profit margins.

As a result of Apple's actions today, even the most diehard fanboys need to take a step back and rethink their support of Apple. Apple clearly does NOT support the customer any more. How long will Apple continue to support Macs now that Steve Jobs (last year) demoted Macs to being just another device? We all know they already cut support off for all Macs with Core Duos and Core 2 Duos that used Intel graphics. How long until all of the Macs with integrated nvidia chipsets they sold as recently as last year get cut off? How long will they support the iPad 2 and new iPad now that they've made it clear they feel a device that costs as much as $830 is only worthy of two years of life?

Kwill
Jun 11, 2012, 08:13 PM
Disappointed that Forstall said Siri will be coming to "the New iPad," leaving the iPad 2 out of the loop even though its processor exceeds the power of the iPhone 4S. :(

sazivad
Jun 11, 2012, 08:37 PM
Apple continues to sell the original iPad to this day:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB293LL/A
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC349LL/A
Apple clearly DOES NOT care about customers. It is all about profit margins.
How long will Apple continue to support Macs now that Steve Jobs (last year) demoted Macs to being just another device?
While I don't deny profit is at least a small factor, Apple currently sells the 3GS new (http://bit.ly/MExz4s), while they only sell the 1st gen iPad as refurbished (http://bit.ly/OmStV3).

jasonkrasnov
Jun 11, 2012, 08:45 PM
I was really looking forward to a new desktop that unfortunately, there is nothing new with.

As a video editor and digital media associate, the lack of a new iMac is pushing me strongly towards an HP Z1. Yes, I said it....screw Apple.

Since I am working with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 a lot, one of the huge advantages is that it works equally well with Mac and PC and after talking to several of my friends up in high places, I am considering HP option as numero uno.

Also, not to mention that after two years of waiting the MacBook got a very minor update; a speed bump and increases in RAM. Woopty Freagin Doo!

The storage and video specs as well are nicer, but still the new Macbook "Pro" still will use USB 2.0 ports instead of USB 3.0, or Thun*der*bolt.

OOOooooh and a new Safari that syncs all your Apple devices.

I get that with Google Chrome and/or Firefox, thank you very much.

Any thoughts on this, or am I the only one who finds the newest Apple updates (http://eduardoangel.com/2012/06/11/apple-announcements-news-summary-for-busy-people/) boring!

leesmith2
Jun 11, 2012, 08:47 PM
Android - Stolen from Apple.

Boom! Roasted.

Gix1k
Jun 11, 2012, 08:59 PM
So basically Siri will begin to do what the Jailbreak community already makes her do...lol. I'm hoping they begin using widgets.

SprSynJn
Jun 11, 2012, 09:21 PM
Bit disappointed to see no iPad 1 support.

If there wasn't iPhone 3GS support I wouldn't grumble, but given that they both have 256MB RAM, and the CPU is similar in both (iPhone is Samsung APL0298C05 with ARM Cortex-A8 CPU core underclocked to 600 MHz and iPad is Apple A4 with ARM Cortex-A8 CPU core clocked to 1GHz), and the GPU is PowerVR SGX 535 in both, I'd say the grumble is legit.

Exactly my feelings on the matter. I was under the impression that the 3GS had the same amount of memory as the 4, so I had no real complaints. After learning it's the same as the iPad, I'm a bit disappointed. For me it is even more odd that Mr. Cook pointed out Google's fragmented problem on stage, yet they are now heading down that path it seems. I hope they will reconsider their actions, or as mosx pointed out above, even the most faithful might jump ship. The continuous updates were one of the primary reasons I was planning on getting an iPhone down the line. Will have to rethink my plans now.

Troneas
Jun 11, 2012, 09:25 PM
why doesn't it support 3rd Gen iPod Touch? It has the same hardware as the iPhone 3GS.

charlituna
Jun 11, 2012, 09:28 PM

Which is it?

go back and be sure to look at the time codes. that will answer your question

Sylon
Jun 11, 2012, 09:28 PM
I think iOS 6 might be enough for me to leave the Jailbreak world and go back to normal. These features are pretty awesome.

Abazigal
Jun 11, 2012, 09:40 PM

I guess the benefit is that you can still set an alarm on your phone?

If I switched the phone to silent mode, I don't think the alarm will ring either. My take is that it is basically a slightly more discerning variation of the silent mode.

thewitt
Jun 11, 2012, 09:56 PM
Passbook in iOS 6 seems to be a perfect application in preparation for an NFC iPhone 5:

Mastercard/Paypass to be NFC partner with Apple on iPhone 5? (http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/30/mastercardpaypass-to-be-nfc-partner-with-apple-on-iphone-5/)

Absolutely

thewitt
Jun 11, 2012, 09:57 PM
I guess the benefit is that you can still set an alarm on your phone?

If I switched the phone to silent mode, I don't think the alarm will ring either. My take is that it is basically a slightly more discerning variation of the silent mode.

The alarm rings in silent mode.

DakotaGuy
Jun 11, 2012, 11:08 PM
So basically Siri will begin to do what the Jailbreak community already makes her do...lol. I'm hoping they begin using widgets.

Widgets will come with iOS7 just wait and see. :)

Truckondo
Jun 11, 2012, 11:46 PM

From what I understand by watching part of the keynote is that it can basically put the phone in a "deep sleep". It won't light the screen up for an email or push notification or make a sound. It can also be set to be scheduled to be in that mode for when you sleep. For example: you could set it so "Do Not Disturb" between 11pm and 8am. You can let certain callers through or have a repeat call go through if the other party calls you 2 times in a row during a short period of time just in case of an emergency.

SprSynJn
Jun 12, 2012, 12:02 AM
For any lite sleepers who use the iPhone as an alarm clock, that Do Not Disturb mode is a very welcome feature. I would have to completely silence any iPhone in order to keep it near me when sleeping. All the sounds and vibrating it would make would keep me awake all night. I look forward to setting it up whenever I get one.

sekazi
Jun 12, 2012, 12:04 AM
Why couldnt Apple just release iOS 6 for the iPad G1 and iPod touch G3 for $4.99? They have done it in the past. They would at lease be making money on a device they no longer sell.

Sensation
Jun 12, 2012, 01:52 AM
So ios 6 = android 1.
Damn you thieving Apple, they haven't thought of anything original for ios for a long time.

robertosh
Jun 12, 2012, 02:43 AM
Dissapointed. Ipod touch will not get any of the key features of iOS6 :(. Only facebook integration... It's stupid to don't support the 1st gen iPad, has more power than the touch 4g!!

JaHawk2009
Jun 12, 2012, 03:05 AM
Everyone who keeps posting about Apple and Android? I don't care. If I wanted Android software, I'd have a Droid phone and be on a Droid forum, but no; I want Apple's refined take on the features. I don't care if I have to wait a couple years, imo it's worth it to get the Apple product. (That said, even as an Apple fanboy I'm worried by the life of the iPad 1 being so short)

stevensr123
Jun 12, 2012, 03:30 AM
IOS has become overrated, It's UI looks and feels like a 5 year old UI, and sadly it's getting to feel like a 5 year old OS. It's boring, and bloated.

Apple really do need to revolutionise it before people just because sick and tired of it.

I'm probably going to sadly move to the samsung galaxy 3 now, However there is still a lot of great things about the OS, and because of that I will be getting the new iPad.

Best of both worlds basically, The only reason why IOS is great is because of the apps. Not the UI, which android IMO is become better.

Still this update is far too boring and predictable.

Pikapiedra
Jun 12, 2012, 03:36 AM

I totally agree, dis-integration button for facebook.

MonkeySee....
Jun 12, 2012, 03:46 AM
IOS has become overrated, It's UI looks and feels like a 5 year old UI, and sadly it's getting to feel like a 5 year old OS. It's boring, and bloated.

Apple really do need to revolutionise it before people just because sick and tired of it.

I'm probably going to sadly move to the samsung galaxy 3 now, However there is still a lot of great things about the OS, and because of that I will be getting the new iPad.

Best of both worlds basically, The only reason why IOS is great is because of the apps. Not the UI, which android IMO is become better.

Why do you feel its important to change the look of the OS? Its familiar and rock solid.

People always think the grass is greener on the otherside. I like the way Apple is enhancing the OS and not changing it. Its how it should be.

The Game 161
Jun 12, 2012, 03:55 AM
My question would be will these new features work in the UK? For example asking sport scores on siri?

deanbar
Jun 12, 2012, 04:02 AM

+1. I don't want Facebook anywhere near any of my devices, I would want to be able to kick it into touch.

MonkeySee....
Jun 12, 2012, 04:05 AM
My question would be will these new features work in the UK? For example asking sport scores on siri?

Apparently (i read in another thread) one of the slides at the WWDC showed "English Premier League". :D

stevensr123
Jun 12, 2012, 04:13 AM
Why do you feel its important to change the look of the OS? Its familiar and rock solid.

People always think the grass is greener on the otherside. I like the way Apple is enhancing the OS and not changing it. Its how it should be.

Because sometimes change is better and the same old design will just become stale. That's all.

It's can be good when you freshen things up a little.

thewitt
Jun 12, 2012, 04:20 AM

Apple has no desire to be a gee whiz company.

You will always be disappointed.

Go buy an Android flavor of the month and be happy.

Bye bye

Bezetos
Jun 12, 2012, 05:01 AM
Will probably get a negative score for this opinion but here it goes:

It think this conference was a disappointment. The upcoming MacBook Pro with the 'retina' screen will definitely look great, I would love to own one alas the price tag is really high as usual, so not many people will have access to this computer. Ignoring the screen and design, you can get a lot better deal for similar or even better specs, but I'm sure there will be a lot of people who would love to own a laptop with such screen.

Now, the iOS6. To be frank there is nothing interesting here. Improved Siri is nothing revolutionary, you can simply ask here a bit more now. It's great that you can launch apps now, however if Apple doesn't improve the actual voice recognition for non-American accents, all these updates are pretty pointless. Other features are copied from other operating systems - ignoring Siri, almost every other feature is already available on Android (the only thing I'm not sure about are the Game Center challenges).

Turn by turn directions should have been on iOS ages ago. Same goes with vector based maps with rotatable labels. Same goes with "Do Not Disturb Mode". Same goes with VIP mailboxes - I'm still not happy with the level of customisation this offers. "Smart app banners" - I could have sworn you can already do that.

There were no surprises, I've heard and seen what I expected: a lot of cheap, bold marketing statements devoid of any modesty whatsoever ("Mountain Lion is the most advanced operating system in the world!", "Everyone is trying to copy us", "iOS 6 is a phenomenal release", "Only Apple could make such amazing hardware, software, and services" etc. etc.), the new Mac OS and iO6, new Maps and the retina MacBook Pros.

I feel like previous conferences were more impressive. Ignoring the great retina Mac Books, this weirdly seems like an attempt to catch up with competition.

Daniel B
Jun 12, 2012, 05:13 AM
Hi,

I'm shocked about the lack of support for the iPad 1.

When the rumor came a few days ago, I explained to my wife that is was false, because Apple would never abandon 1 1/2 year old hardware.

In contrast, Mountain Lion for the MacBook Prod (I have the mid 2009) is supported all the way back to mid/late 2007.

It won't be long before developers will start to take advantage of the new iOS 6 features. Then you won't be able to upgrade your favorite apps either. In short, it will become unbearable if you are an avid iPad user.

So, I it pains me to say that Apple will have their way with me - I will upgrade my iPad. Since I live in Europe, I was quite disappointed with the lack of European 4G on the new iPad. So, I will probably get an iPad 2. Selling and buying in the second hand market will then only cost me about $200. Not to bad.

Daniel

Mil0s
Jun 12, 2012, 05:29 AM
iPhone 4 doesn't get Flyover and turn-by-turn, and iPhone 3GS doesn't get Flyover, turn-by-turn, Shared Photo Streams, VIP list and VIP and Flagged smart mailboxes and Offline Reading List.
Don't get it!? What does 3GS get with update? :confused:

Sylon
Jun 12, 2012, 05:40 AM
iPhone 4 doesn't get Flyover and turn-by-turn, and iPhone 3GS doesn't get Flyover, turn-by-turn, Shared Photo Streams, VIP list and VIP and Flagged smart mailboxes and Offline Reading List.
Don't get it!? What does 3GS get with update? :confused:

'5' crossed out and '6' written next to it in crayon.

MonkeySee....
Jun 12, 2012, 06:00 AM
Hi,

I'm shocked about the lack of support for the iPad 1.

When the rumor came a few days ago, I explained to my wife that is was false, because Apple would never abandon 1 1/2 year old hardware.

In contrast, Mountain Lion for the MacBook Prod (I have the mid 2009) is supported all the way back to mid/late 2007.

It won't be long before developers will start to take advantage of the new iOS 6 features. Then you won't be able to upgrade your favorite apps either. In short, it will become unbearable if you are an avid iPad user.

So, I it pains me to say that Apple will have their way with me - I will upgrade my iPad. Since I live in Europe, I was quite disappointed with the lack of European 4G on the new iPad. So, I will probably get an iPad 2. Selling and buying in the second hand market will then only cost me about $200. Not to bad.

Daniel
2 and a bit years.

cjmillsnun
Jun 12, 2012, 06:03 AM

Why a disintegration button. Just don't give it your user details. FB is then not integrated.

MikeDTyke
Jun 12, 2012, 06:10 AM

This is got to be the dumbest whine i've ever heard. You're comparing security patches with an OS feature update. Where the odd security issue has flared up, Apple has patched previous OS versions. :rolleyes:

The Game 161
Jun 12, 2012, 06:12 AM
Apparently (i read in another thread) one of the slides at the WWDC showed "English Premier League". :D

I see

Be pretty bad for us if there was premier league scores but not available in uk

My question is why would we get this but locations still wouldn't work? Surely apple would do this too?

Bilbo63
Jun 12, 2012, 06:27 AM
So ios 6 = android 1.
Damn you thieving Apple, they haven't thought of anything original for ios for a long time.

LOL Your funny! Evidently you've never seen Android 1.0. That's when Google was ripping off the Blackberry!

For the first early Android, Google ripped off RIM, because it was the hot device. Then Apple showed everyone what a smart phone really should be and Google did an about face and began copying Apple. I'm not saying that Google haven't done some good things with their stolen product, but it is a stolen product.

If anything some of these features appeared in the iOS jailbreak community long before Android.

Bezetos
Jun 12, 2012, 07:07 AM
LOL Your funny! Evidently you've never seen For the first early Android, Google ripped off RIM, because it was the hot device. Then Apple showed everyone what a smart phone really should be and Google did an about face and began copying Apple. I'm not saying that Google haven't done some good things with their stolen product, but it is a stolen product.
What did Google "steal" exactly? Home screen with app icons? An on-screen keyboard? Ooooh, that's so original and unique! I find it very rude to call it a stolen product.

If anything some of these features appeared in the iOS jailbreak community long before Android.See, you have to jailbreak your iPhone to achieve at least some of the functionality that's available on Android straight out of the box.

Get real people. Nobody's stealing from anyone. All companies are driving technology forward, and claiming that "Apple stole this from Google", "Google stole this from Apple" etc. is very juvenile.

Radoo
Jun 12, 2012, 07:07 AM
OK, I understand, iPad 1 is single-core, more power is needed with all the background work the OS may do...

But why to dump Siri support for iPad 2?! There's no lawyer around here to sue them? iPad 2 is fully capable to support Siri. :mad:

Bezetos
Jun 12, 2012, 07:09 AM
But why to dump Siri support for iPad 2?! There's no lawyer around here to sue them? iPad 2 is fully capable to support Siri. :mad:Apple needs to make money - simple. This is neither the first nor the last time they're making a business decision like this.

Wicked1
Jun 12, 2012, 07:46 AM
God dammit, my iPad 1 is just over 2 years old and they're already dropping support for it. Throw these new features in my face and then tell me I have to spend another $600 to get them.

Same boat as you, I have (2) iPhone 4's which will be replaced with 5's, I have a newer Mini which I will upgrade, I also have a 2009 uMB which I will dump and my iPad will become a new Wall Photo Album sticking not the wall with velcro, and I will debate whether or not to get a new iPad?

I can understand no support for the original iPhone and 3G phone, but what the heck the 3GS is supported so why not the original iPad

KnightWRX
Jun 12, 2012, 08:34 AM
Exactly my feelings on the matter. I was under the impression that the 3GS had the same amount of memory as the 4, so I had no real complaints. After learning it's the same as the iPad, I'm a bit disappointed. For me it is even more odd that Mr. Cook pointed out Google's fragmented problem on stage, yet they are now heading down that path it seems. I hope they will reconsider their actions, or as mosx pointed out above, even the most faithful might jump ship. The continuous updates were one of the primary reasons I was planning on getting an iPhone down the line. Will have to rethink my plans now.

Reconsider fragmentation ? Laughable. Apple's iOS has been this way since the beginning. The iPhone 3G got "iOS 4", yeah, except it got none of the features.

At least with Android and Google, when you do get a version of the OS, you get the same thing as everyone else that has that version. With iOS, Apple claims all devices run "iOS X", yet depending on the device, a lot of the software functionality just isn't there.

So Apple's comments about "Android fragmentation" are just a diversion about their own.

I say this as an iPhone user and iOS developer. Let's not be blind, it's a game of politics. Both OSes have their strengths and weaknesses, but both are pretty darn good pieces of software engineering.

ghostlyorb
Jun 12, 2012, 09:53 AM
Can anyone post how stable the beta is?

SprSynJn
Jun 12, 2012, 10:01 AM
At least with Android and Google, when you do get a version of the OS, you get the same thing as everyone else that has that version. With iOS, Apple claims all devices run "iOS X", yet depending on the device, a lot of the software functionality just isn't there.

Since when? You do know that certain device manufacturers have the ability to not add certain features of Android in their products, right? Not all Android phones have that NFC function. Not all are going to have Samsung's voice recognition feature either. When you get an iPhone 4S, you get all that it's advertised to have. The only thing you aren't getting with a 3GS or 4 is Siri. If the newest iPhone has the NFC, all of them will have it. The Market has the ability to lock out applications depending on the carrier, the App Store does not. I can download an application from the latter from a carrier I don't use, for example. My friend cannot even download the Hulu application from the Market because it's not supported on his phone and/or carrier.

I think you may be confused as to which side you're arguing for.

Bezetos
Jun 12, 2012, 11:00 AM
Since when?
Since Android's launch. Yes, there is a huge fragmentation problem, but no Android features are being artificially limited from phones using the same version of the OS (unlike iOS & Siri).

Not all Android phones have that NFC function. Not all are going to have Samsung's voice recognition feature either.You're mentioning a hardware feature and a custom OS (software) feature created by Samsung.

(...)
If the newest iPhone has the NFC, all of them will have it. (...)
What? If iPhone 5 has NFC then all other iPhones will have it? You know that NFC requires certain hardware, right?

(...)When you get an iPhone 4S, you get all that it's advertised to have. Yeah, you get that with every other smartphone mate... Are you trying to say if I buy a Galaxy Nexus I don't get all that's advertised there? Wouldn't that be fraud? (*cough cough* Apple's iPad 4G court case in Australia *cough*)

(...)The Market has the ability to lock out applications depending on the carrier, the App Store does not. (...) My friend cannot even download the Hulu application from the Market because it's not supported on his phone and/or carrier.I can't use Hulu because I live in the UK. Apple Store locks out software depending on region. Apple had a history of blocking features based on your carrier (e.g. tethering).

rkahl
Jun 12, 2012, 12:11 PM

Oh yeah, you are the guy who was abusing AT&T's data plan by tethering with the unlimited plan and throwing a fit when caught. Shocking that now you are throwing a fit about your old iPad not working with the newest update. Not to mention your embarrasing thread last month that you had to have deleted because you got called out by everyone on here.

BR485
Jun 12, 2012, 12:21 PM
I was really looking forward to a new desktop that unfortunately, there is nothing new with.

As a video editor and digital media associate, the lack of a new iMac is pushing me strongly towards an HP Z1. Yes, I said it....screw Apple.

Since I am working with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 a lot, one of the huge advantages is that it works equally well with Mac and PC and after talking to several of my friends up in high places, I am considering HP option as numero uno.

Also, not to mention that after two years of waiting the MacBook got a very minor update; a speed bump and increases in RAM. Woopty Freagin Doo!

The storage and video specs as well are nicer, but still the new Macbook "Pro" still will use USB 2.0 ports instead of USB 3.0, or Thun*der*bolt.

OOOooooh and a new Safari that syncs all your Apple devices.

I get that with Google Chrome and/or Firefox, thank you very much.

Any thoughts on this, or am I the only one who finds the newest Apple updates (http://eduardoangel.com/2012/06/11/apple-announcements-news-summary-for-busy-people/) boring!

Apple doesn't really care about "pro" Mac users. They're more concerned with hoovering money out of iOS customers and iOSifying OS X. It's all about the money. iOS devices are Apple's cash cows and while Macs still bring in a lot of money...not nearly as much as iOS gadgets.

I've been a Mac user since I was a kid but Apple is no longer the innovative and, dare I say it, revolutionary company it once was. Success has made them lazy and complacent and just a little arrogant. No USB 3.0 ports on the new "Pro" line MacBooks? What possible reason does Apple have for not upgrading to 3.0?

I'm still using a Core2Duo iMac running 10.5.8 because it runs much to hot under Snow Leopard, and Lion frankly doesn't appeal to me. This is the last new Mac I buy if Apple doesn't get their **** together before this machine is retired. I'd consider a used MBP or iMac but not a new Apple machine when I can get a very good new HP or Sony notebook with better specs for a lot less. Windows is no longer the subpar nightmare it once was and in many ways it is eclispsing OS X.

I like iOS but only jailbroken. iOS 6 is more marketing hype than anything. The new feautures are underwhelming and boring. Apple's Map app has a few neat bells and whistles but is inferior to the Google product, IMO. If I can't get Street View on iOS 6...5.1.1 will likely be the last version of the OS I use. Thing is, I don't particlularly like Android but the more Apple screw up with iOS the more appealing the competition looks.

Apple need to step up their game in a big way. Relying on marketing hype and hoping enough suckers continue buying their pretty but overpriced hardware and increasingly (in the case of OS X) locked down OS could very well end up backfiring on them. I'm not going to stick around if I have to jailbreak what is supposed to be a full service "pro" desktop operating system.

It'll be a sad day for me if I have to leave Apple behind as their products were once very well built and designed and worth the extra cash, and their OS was robust, powerful and a joy to use. But marketing and share price are what guide them now that they are not forced to innovate to make a good profit.

Apple's post-1980s heyday was from 1998 to about 2009. I hope they'll pleasantly surprise me and again become the innovating and exciting company I once knew but for some reason I doubt it. We'll see...

----------

The point is Apple should have done this years ago. Your holding back not jailbreaking. People have had this stuff for a long time so don't be surprised when we find it underwhelming.

Very true. I couldn't deal with a non-jailbroken version of iOS. Short on features and long on restrictions. Non-jailbroken users don't know what they're missing.

KnightWRX
Jun 12, 2012, 12:23 PM
Since when? You do know that certain device manufacturers have the ability to not add certain features of Android in their products, right? Not all Android phones have that NFC function. Not all are going to have Samsung's voice recognition feature either.

Neither of those are OS features. They are handset features (those that have NFC communication hardware) or vendor functionality.

Again, when you get 2.3.4 of Android, you get 2.3.4 features. Manufacturers can build on top of what is there.

When you get an iPhone 4S, you get all that it's advertised to have.

Same as when you get a Galaxy S III or a Galaxy Nexus, you get all that it's advertised to have.

The difference is Apple announces "iOS 4 for iPhone 3G!" or "iOS 6 for iPhone 3GS/4!", touts it's "unfragmented" ecosystem and then you find out that iOS 6's feature set is crippled on the iPhone 3GS or iOS 4's on the iPhone 3G. No, multi-tasking and desktop backgrounds are not handset features. Neither is turn-by-turn navigation in the maps app.

The fragmentation is there on both sides, Apple just makes a case against Android with it, and then silently introduces the same kind in their software. Let's not deny facts here.

bjones521
Jun 12, 2012, 05:07 PM

Thats what RIM said

nickn
Jun 12, 2012, 06:30 PM
Oh yeah, you are the guy who was abusing AT&T's data plan by tethering with the unlimited plan and throwing a fit when caught. Shocking that now you are throwing a fit about your old iPad not working with the newest update. Not to mention your embarrasing thread last month that you had to have deleted because you got called out by everyone on here.
What are you talking about? Get your facts straight before you go accusing people. I have never had, nor will I ever use ATT service. I have avoided them from day one. As for the iPad, that was sent to the wasteland as it got off topic. I tried to keep it going, but most could not be serious about anything. Also, I fail to see how I am throwing a fit, as you say... I am disappointed at really everything Apple has done lately, but I most certainly have not thrown a fit.

iCody
Jun 12, 2012, 07:58 PM
Apple is beginning to anger it's customer base by expecting people to spend $500+ every other year (or every year between iPhone AND iPad). I don't spend that much on ANYTHING else. Why continue to throw money in the trash knowing it has a 2 yr expiration date??

They REALLY ought to stand by their products longer than just 2 short years. I'm afraid this business model, of not supporting iDevices past 2 years, will start sending people to the competition out of spite.

As far as iOS6...THAT'S ALL?? I do NOT want FB creeping around my iOS! I LIKE Google Maps!! I ALREADY share photos using iCloud, etc. I was holding out for iPhone 5, but from the looks of things, I may just skip it and give jailbreaking a try.

Disappointed.

SprSynJn
Jun 12, 2012, 08:31 PM
Since Android's launch. Yes, there is a huge fragmentation problem, but no Android features are being artificially limited from phones using the same version of the OS (unlike iOS & Siri).

You're mentioning a hardware feature and a custom OS (software) feature created by Samsung.

What? If iPhone 5 has NFC then all other iPhones will have it? You know that NFC requires certain hardware, right?

Yeah, you get that with every other smartphone mate... Are you trying to say if I buy a Galaxy Nexus I don't get all that's advertised there? Wouldn't that be fraud? (*cough cough* Apple's iPad 4G court case in Australia *cough*)

I can't use Hulu because I live in the UK. Apple Store locks out software depending on region. Apple had a history of blocking features based on your carrier (e.g. tethering).

Maybe it's just me, but you just backtracked on your own statement there. You said that Siri is being limited from older versions of iOS, yet Samsung's software of the same nature is not.....yet it's only available on their phone. One phone mind you, the newest Galaxy. How is that different?

When I said "all", I meant all of the newest iPhone models, but something tells me you knew what I meant. On the topic of Australia, isn't that problem just a problem with that country's network? The iPad has 4G, but no company offers a compatible system to use it yet. The device still has the ability, so it's not limited.

I think you're confused as to who blocks what as well. I can use Hulu on my iPad here in Japan no problem. Anyone can that has an iOS device. Anyone who wishes to use Hulu on my carrier utilizing an Android can as well. My friend, who uses yet a different carrier, cannot download Hulu at all from the same Android Market. We are not sure if his carrier has blocked access, or his phone is not compatible. He simply cannot find it. Also, I think tethering is blocked by carrier, not by Apple. People in the states can tether just fine using an iOS device. My friend from Taiwan can also do the same. People here in Japan cannot, on any carrier. I don't see why Apple would block access to certain countries if they allow it in others.

The difference is Apple announces "iOS 4 for iPhone 3G!" or "iOS 6 for iPhone 3GS/4!", touts it's "unfragmented" ecosystem and then you find out that iOS 6's feature set is crippled on the iPhone 3GS or iOS 4's on the iPhone 3G. No, multi-tasking and desktop backgrounds are not handset features. Neither is turn-by-turn navigation in the maps app.

The fragmentation is there on both sides, Apple just makes a case against Android with it, and then silently introduces the same kind in their software. Let's not deny facts here.

You are absolutely right, and I cannot argue. I'm beginning to see Apple's problem with hypocritical statements. They really should stop.

kjs862
Jun 12, 2012, 09:33 PM
I was really surprised to see that Apple did not update their YouTube application. It would've been nice to have functionality over my television that has YouTube application. You could use YouTube's web app and get the remote control feature

mosx
Jun 12, 2012, 11:58 PM
While I don't deny profit is at least a small factor, Apple currently sells the 3GS new (http://bit.ly/MExz4s), while they only sell the 1st gen iPad as refurbished (http://bit.ly/OmStV3).

Doesn't matter. It's only been a little over a year since it was sold new. It is still being sold. It cost as much as $829 as recently as March 2011, you know, slightly over a year ago. Think of the people who got one for Christmas not even a year and a half ago and now that device that cost more than a more capable PC is no longer supported. That device that is still under warranty through AppleCare will no longer receive updates.

This move proves that Apple puts profit first and everything else second. There is literally no excuse for Apple to not to continue to support the original iPad, especially when they're supporting older slower hardware in the iPhone 3GS, and weaker hardware in the form of the iPod touch 4G.

The worst part is that the original iPad got seriously screwed over in other ways. It didn't have "FaceTime" even though Jobs and company knew it was coming in the iPhone 4 a full year (according to WWDC keynote in 2010) before the iPad unveiling. It shipped with only 256MB of RAM, despite the fact that logic would suggest that sort of device requires 512MB or more, and the iPhone 4, being in development a full year before the iPad unveiling, shipped with 512MB of RAM.

Us early adopters got royally screwed. We went out and bought the product and made it an absolute success. How do we get repaid? By being told that our money and support means nothing.

Bezetos
Jun 13, 2012, 04:55 AM
Maybe it's just me, but you just backtracked on your own statement there. You said that Siri is being limited from older versions of iOS, yet Samsung's software of the same nature is not.....yet it's only available on their phone. One phone mind you, the newest Galaxy. How is that different?It's different because that's a custom piece of software created for this particular phone by Samsung, not an Android OS feature. And we're talking about OS features here. (There is actually a way of downloading S Voice on other Android devices (http://androidadvices.com/download-svoice-apk-samsungs-siri-app/))

When I said "all", I meant all of the newest iPhone models, but something tells me you knew what I meant.Huh? So you were actually saying that if an iPhone 5 has NFC, every other iPhone 5 has NFC?? So you're basically saying "If the sky is blue, the sky is blue". What's your point? What are you trying to prove here? That's a truism, it's obvious. This is true for every other device on the planet.

I think you're confused as to who blocks what as well. I can use Hulu on my iPad here in Japan no problem. Anyone can that has an iOS device.Eeek, wrong, I can't use Hulu on my iPhone in the UK.

Also, I think tethering is blocked by carrier, not by Apple.That's what I said/meant. Apple allows carriers to block tethering if they want to.

People in the states can tether just fine using an iOS device. My friend from Taiwan can also do the same. People here in Japan cannot, on any carrier. I don't see why Apple would block access to certain countries if they allow it in others.Well, AFAIK you can tether from any Android device and the carrier can't stop you (unless your contract forbids you from doing it and they detect that activity) since there isn't a software block in place (tethering is now part of the Android OS but you can still download apps that allow tethering as opposed to iOS where you simply can't download an app like that without jailbreaking your phone).

MonkeySee....
Jun 13, 2012, 05:02 AM
Thats what RIM said

Yeah but RIM aren't a marketing powerhouse + don't have any clue of implementing new features.

macbook pro i5
Jun 13, 2012, 06:02 AM

The first gen iPad has 256MB of RAM and a larger screen then a 3GS go figure,besides I have tried ios 5 on my friends iPad it was unbearable,the iPad 2 and above at better as it has more RAM and also has newer chip in it,it's not just greed.

----------

Doesn't matter. It's only been a little over a year since it was sold new. It is still being sold. It cost as much as $829 as recently as March 2011, you know, slightly over a year ago. Think of the people who got one for Christmas not even a year and a half ago and now that device that cost more than a more capable PC is no longer supported. That device that is still under warranty through AppleCare will no longer receive updates.

This move proves that Apple puts profit first and everything else second. There is literally no excuse for Apple to not to continue to support the original iPad, especially when they're supporting older slower hardware in the iPhone 3GS, and weaker hardware in the form of the iPod touch 4G.

The worst part is that the original iPad got seriously screwed over in other ways. It didn't have "FaceTime" even though Jobs and company knew it was coming in the iPhone 4 a full year (according to WWDC keynote in 2010) before the iPad unveiling. It shipped with only 256MB of RAM, despite the fact that logic would suggest that sort of device requires 512MB or more, and the iPhone 4, being in development a full year before the iPad unveiling, shipped with 512MB of RAM.

Us early adopters got royally screwed. We went out and bought the product and made it an absolute success. How do we get repaid? By being told that our money and support means nothing.
You hav to realize iOS 6 would be torture on the first gen iPad because it has so little RAM,it would be to slow,which is why apple thought about it,it just isn't about maximizing profits.

Jam1977
Jun 13, 2012, 11:10 AM
With all the talk about the Siri improvements in IOS 6, they never made it clear. Will this only be on iPhone 4s and newer? Or will any IOS device able to get IOS 6 now have Siri once they update?

Anyone know?

2007 White MacBook
iPhone 4 (Verizon)

Soon to be iPad with 4G

shadowhawk2020
Jun 13, 2012, 02:05 PM
It's different because that's a custom piece of software created for this particular phone by Samsung, not an Android OS feature. And we're talking about OS features here. (There is actually a way of downloading S Voice on other Android devices (http://androidadvices.com/download-svoice-apk-samsungs-siri-app/))

Huh? So you were actually saying that if an iPhone 5 has NFC, every other iPhone 5 has NFC?? So you're basically saying "If the sky is blue, the sky is blue". What's your point? What are you trying to prove here? That's a truism, it's obvious. This is true for every other device on the planet.

Eeek, wrong, I can't use Hulu on my iPhone in the UK.

That's what I said/meant. Apple allows carriers to block tethering if they want to.

Well, AFAIK you can tether from any Android device and the carrier can't stop you (unless your contract forbids you from doing it and they detect that activity) since there isn't a software block in place (tethering is now part of the Android OS but you can still download apps that allow tethering as opposed to iOS where you simply can't download an app like that without jailbreaking your phone).

You can tether from Android phones using carrier installed apps, paying a carrier premium of course.

If you want to circumvent that cost there is one app you can use without root Foxfi but it isn't ideal (you have to install software on your laptop. If you want to tether without cost you generally would have to root your phone.

StyxMaker
Jun 13, 2012, 06:15 PM

Those pictures look exactly like my white iPhone 4S.

StyxMaker
Jun 13, 2012, 06:39 PM
…Doesn't matter that Apple doesn't sell the original iPad new any more. The cost of the original iPad (well, any iPad) means the device deserves to have at least a half decade of usable life…

You seem to be saying that the instant IOS 6 is released all the original iPads in the world will quit working.

StyxMaker
Jun 13, 2012, 06:54 PM
Because sometimes change is better and the same old design will just become stale. That's all.

It's can be good when you freshen things up a little.

I don't expect an OS or a UI to entertain me. I expect them to allow me to operate the device as efficiently as possible then stay out of the way while I use it. IOS does this well.

sazivad
Jun 13, 2012, 06:56 PM
1. Doesn't matter.... [The] device that is still under warranty through AppleCare will no longer receive updates.

2. This move proves that Apple puts profit first and everything else second. There is literally no excuse for Apple to not to continue to support the original iPad, especially when they're supporting older slower hardware in the iPhone 3GS, and weaker hardware in the form of the iPod touch 4G.

3. The worst part is that the original iPad got seriously screwed over in other ways. It didn't have FaceTime... [and i]t shipped with only 256MB of RAM, despite the fact that logic would suggest that sort of device requires 512MB or more, and the iPhone 4, being in development a full year before the iPad unveiling, shipped with 512MB of RAM.
1. Remember that iOS 6 actually hasn't come out yet. When it does "in the fall," the iPad 1 will be even older. Also remember that the iPad 1 is being sold as refurbished. This means that while the 3GS is being sold in the main Apple Store page, the iPad 1 is not.

2. No matter how magical Apple seems, it is a corporation, and as such, spends a lot of time thinking about how they can profit.

3. The iPad 2 didn't ship with a 5-megapixel back camera, nor did it have 4G. Apple is evil, right? Wrong, IMHO. Apple ships products with specs and hardware based on what's available to produce cheaply. Not to say they don't throw a little planned obsolescence (http://bit.ly/L978oM) in there too. They obviously have a product roadmap for at least 2-3 years in the future. They know when they release products that ones with better specs and such will come out in the future. If they didn't, they wouldn't have made it this far, and nor would have any other company.

StyxMaker
Jun 13, 2012, 07:05 PM
OK, I understand, iPad 1 is single-core, more power is needed with all the background work the OS may do...

But why to dump Siri support for iPad 2?! There's no lawyer around here to sue them? iPad 2 is fully capable to support Siri. :mad:

Sue them? Sue them for what? I purchased the iPad 2 and no where did Apple promise to make Siri available for it. In fact they did not promise to ever put any feature on it that wasn't there when I bought it.

Apple isn't 'dumping' Siri support for the iPad 2, it's never had Siri support and Apple has never made any claim that it ever would.

nickn
Jun 13, 2012, 09:41 PM
You hav to realize iOS 6 would be torture on the first gen iPad because it has so little RAM,it would be to slow,which is why apple thought about it,it just isn't about maximizing profits.

The iPod Touch 4th Gen has 256Mb ram and a high res 960x540 display and it is getting iOS 6....

macbook pro i5
Jun 13, 2012, 10:39 PM
The iPod Touch 4th Gen has 256Mb ram and a high res 960x540 display and it is getting iOS 6....

But the iPad still has more pixels and a bigger screen to push as well,so there.

Ries
Jun 14, 2012, 04:01 PM
But the iPad still has more pixels and a bigger screen to push as well,so there.

786k pixel vs 614k pixel, peanuts in difference. The physical screen size doesn't affect performance.

The iPad A4 runs 1000MHz, the iPod only 800Mhz.

macbook pro i5
Jun 14, 2012, 04:37 PM
786k pixel vs 614k pixel, peanuts in difference. The physical screen size doesn't affect performance.

The iPad A4 runs 1000MHz, the iPod only 800Mhz.

OH.MY.GOD.
THe first iPad is ram deprived,the iPod can barely run it because the screen is smaller.

jmull
Jun 16, 2012, 03:28 PM

Welcome to the Apple Family! And get used to being thrown under the bus..

antonislap
Jun 17, 2012, 05:22 AM

i totally agree with you..

foodog
Jun 19, 2012, 07:49 AM

Hint hint.....

New iPhone

----------

Welcome to the Apple Family! And get used to being thrown under the bus..

Go get an Android device and you have a high probability of getting no update, ever and just as high a probability the device will be running an outdated OS from the first day you buy it.

jlnr
Jun 19, 2012, 10:43 AM
Hint hint.....
Go get an Android device and you have a high probability of getting no update, ever and just as high a probability the device will be running an outdated OS from the first day you buy it.

What does this have to do with iOS? An arbitrary cutoff is an arbitrary cutoff.

weaponEX
Jun 19, 2012, 11:23 AM
I teach English in South Korean. Korean students are 100% unimpressed and bored by my demonstrations of SIRI because all their Samsung devices have much more sophisticated speak recognition software (Korean is an easier language for machines to recognize).

What really blows their minds is the ever taken-for-granted Google and it's ability to find very obscure and specific information, statistics, images, data

foodog
Jun 19, 2012, 12:20 PM
What does this have to do with iOS? An arbitrary cutoff is an arbitrary cutoff.

The point being Android devices come out with a old OS and never get updated... compaired to this iPad which cam out with the current version at the point of sale and got several OS updates over its lifetime. I think it sucks the original iPad won't get IOS6 when the 3GS will, but the alternative is much worse.

eastofeden
Jun 19, 2012, 05:46 PM
You can't have it both ways. I find it somewhat contradictory to complain that iOS 6 has nothing to offer - then freak out because you can't update your original iPads with it. If it has nothing new to offer, then why do you care? It's not as if all original iPads are going to go dead and blank on the day iOS 6 releases and function nevermore. They will offer us the same (in my opinion, great) iOS 5 experience that we've been having all along. In fact, I don't think that Apple is trying to "force" you to buy a new iPad. I think they're figuring that you can continue to enjoy using the device running iOS 5 that you purchased and presumably are pretty happy with. And if really you can't live with continuing to use iOS 5, then yeah, maybe you do need new hardware.

And as far as those bemoaning the fact that we haven't gotten a major OS overhaul - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! iOS is a great operating system that has helped Apple to become the most valuable public company in the world. Not to mention, customer satisfaction ratings of the iPhone 4S are in the 90th percentile. Android phones? Not so much. Overhauling something that is incredibly popular and successful in the name of "innovation" would be the utmost stupidity.

jlnr
Jun 20, 2012, 03:07 AM
I think it sucks the original iPad won't get IOS6 when the 3GS will, but the alternative is much worse.

Maybe that's the alternative for you. If I didn't have an iPad, I wouldn't have a tablet. Weak competitors can't be an excuse for everything.

If it has nothing new to offer, then why do you care? It's not as if all original iPads are going to go dead and blank on the day iOS 6 releases and function nevermore.

iPads are web browsing machines. Not getting security updates for your browser and OS sucks. Nothing stops Apple from releasing 5.1.2 after 6.0 of course. But since 5.1.1 has been jailbroken and is still unpatched after weeks, I guess we won't see another 5.x version.

JimLundy
Jun 24, 2012, 02:41 PM
Love the discussions here. If you want some analysis on Siri, here is our First Cut from Aragon Research (link (http://aragonresearch.com/apple-ios-6-siris-voice-gets-louder/))

Jim Lundy
Lead Analyst
Aragon Research
AragonResearch.com