PDA

View Full Version : How impatient are you with iOS 6

rahul247rocks
Jun 11, 2012, 02:15 PM
Apple just announced iOS 6 coming this fall probably with the launch of next generation iPhone 5. I personally have the new iPad and I simply can't wait to see the final version of the latest iOS. Probably September or October.... can you wait that long? Are you downloading the latest beta version? Share your views please.

AndyK
Jun 11, 2012, 02:17 PM
For me it's been quite a flop, so I couldn't care less when it comes. I was hoping for features like quick reply and easy WiFi / Bluetooth toggle, so I'll probably wait until it gets jailbroken and just stay with 5.

rkahl
Jun 11, 2012, 02:19 PM
If you want it that bad and cannot wait until fall then join the Developer's Program for $99.

stuffradio
Jun 11, 2012, 02:19 PM
Can't use Turn-by-turn on iPhone 4. Nothing on iOS6 impresses me now. I can't get a new iPhone until 2014 because of the stupid carrier in Canada contract stacking. I got the iPhone 4 the month it came out, and they added 3 years to my contract in 2010, and my last contract ended September 2011.

Apple might have forced my hand in having to Jailbreak so I can get turn-by-turn. I haven't jailbroken my iPhone 4 in the 1.5 years I've owned it.

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 11, 2012, 02:26 PM
Can't use Turn-by-turn on iPhone 4. Nothing on iOS6 impresses me now. I can't get a new iPhone until 2014 because of the stupid carrier in Canada contract stacking. I got the iPhone 4 the month it came out, and they added 3 years to my contract in 2010, and my last contract ended September 2011.

Apple might have forced my hand in having to Jailbreak so I can get turn-by-turn. I haven't jailbroken my iPhone 4 in the 1.5 years I've owned it.

Where does it say iPhone 4s only? Turn by Turn doesn't need Siri.

stuffradio
Jun 11, 2012, 02:27 PM

People in the other threads say they found a message saying you need Siri to use it...

Features are subject to change. Not all features are available on all devices.

Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas. Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply.
Siri will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.
Shared Photo Streams requires iOS 6 on iPhone 4 or later or iPad 2 or later, or a Mac computer with OS X Mountain Lion. An up-to-date browser is required for accessing shared photo streams on the web.
FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4 or later, or iPad 2 or later with cellular data capability. Carrier data charges may apply. FaceTime is not available in all countries.
VIP list and VIP and Flagged smart mailboxes will be available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.
Offline Reading List will be available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.
Made for iPhone hearing aids require iPhone 4S.
Find My Friends and Find My iPhone enable you to locate iOS devices only when they are on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network or have an active data plan. Not available in all areas.

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 11, 2012, 02:38 PM
People in the other threads say they found a message saying you need Siri to use it...

That would suck! And I am not using my iPad 2 :p

Menel
Jun 11, 2012, 02:43 PM

Apple.com says so.

Liquinn
Jun 11, 2012, 02:44 PM
When do we get to upgrade to iOs 6?

chokem
Jun 11, 2012, 04:36 PM
When do we get to upgrade to iOs 6?

Unless you pay $100 to join Apples developer program and another $11 for the actual download, it will be sometime this fall.

Clete2
Jun 11, 2012, 04:38 PM
Unless you pay $100 to join Apples developer program and another $11 for the actual download, it will be sometime this fall.

You don't have to pay $11 to download it.

theonekcrow
Jun 11, 2012, 08:25 PM
Based on this, I can wait for iOS 6... What I am waiting for is the next gen iPhone and hoping that it is knocked out of the park...

chokem
Jun 12, 2012, 07:45 PM
You don't have to pay $11 to download it.

That's news to my best friend in St. Louis.

Clete2
Jun 12, 2012, 07:47 PM

If it makes any difference, I live 3 hours from St. Louis. ;)

Regardless, I promise, you don't have to pay to download it once you are a developer. Believe what you will, but I downloaded it and all I paid was my $99 yearly fee.

saberahul
Jun 12, 2012, 07:50 PM

It doesn't say it needs Siri. However, it does say the following:

Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later

iPad 2 does not have Siri.

theonekcrow
Jun 12, 2012, 08:17 PM
Can't use Turn-by-turn on iPhone 4.

For those out there that are upset by no turn by turn directions, might I suggest the app Waze? Free, croud sourced traffic, conditinons, turn by turn directions, has social features, and works great on the iPhone 4.

I have been using them for the last couple of years, and because of this app I can survive without this on my iPhone 4.

stuffradio
Jun 12, 2012, 08:19 PM
For those out there that are upset by no turn by turn directions, might I suggest the app Waze? Free, croud sourced traffic, conditinons, turn by turn directions, has social features, and works great on the iPhone 4.

I have been using them for the last couple of years, and because of this app I can survive without this on my iPhone 4.

Didn't work in Canada last I tried it.

theonekcrow
Jun 12, 2012, 08:35 PM
Didn't work in Canada last I tried it.

I will admit results may vary by location. I haven't been outside the US in the last couple of years, so I haven't had a chance to test it outside of there. My apologies to you and hope there is an alternative that works just as well there.

As far as anyone from the US is concerned though, this is a great alternative.

sammee
Jun 12, 2012, 09:02 PM

It doesn't say it needs Siri. However, it does say the following:

Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later

iPad 2 does not have Siri.

I think it is the Apple way....
Need time to know more.

Eckscaliber
Jun 12, 2012, 09:15 PM
I'm impatient with everything so of course I cannot wait until iOS 6 is released. However, the anxiety waiting for the next iPhone is a lot more painful. Luckily I've been doing good not thinking about it.

ZeRoLiMiT
Jun 13, 2012, 12:45 AM
once more people start using Maps on iOS6 with all the iPhones/iPads out there it will be amaazing and kill waze!!! waze is good for traffic not so good on navigation

WeegieMac
Jun 13, 2012, 02:13 AM
I'm just preparing to install iOS 6 on my 3rd Gen iPad WiFi+Cellular.

I've tested iOS 4 and 5 before this, I enjoy seeing what's new and watching each version improve up until the GM.

mrsir2009
Jun 13, 2012, 02:25 AM
Not very... There was nothing in iOS6 that I really want... So I'll probably upgrade when there's an untethered jailbreak for it.

haruhiko
Jun 13, 2012, 02:26 AM
I was quite impatient about iOS 5 last year and installed the beta 1 right away and upgraded for every subsequent beta release. But this year the disappearance of Google Maps alone prevents me from biting the bullet. :(

macbook pro i5
Jun 13, 2012, 02:59 AM
Not very... There was nothing in iOS6 that I really want... So I'll probably upgrade when there's an untethered jailbreak for it.

The new phone features alone make it worth it for me,oh and the multiple sigs for different email accounts,fullscreen safari on iPhone, better battery life,more speed,3D mapping,online reading list all are pretty useful:D

adztaylor
Jun 13, 2012, 03:18 AM

Sounds like your friend was ripped off.

WeegieMac
Jun 13, 2012, 03:20 AM
Well, iOS 6 beta 1 on the new iPad absolutely screams, very stable for a first beta and Siri works like a charm, complete with UK business search, Premiership scores, movies, etc.

scottw324
Jun 13, 2012, 04:09 AM
While I am looking forward to the upgrade on my iPad 3, I will be leaving my iPhone 4 on 5.1.1 I think. Both my iPad and iPhone are jail broken so I will be waiting I think to upgrade the iPad I think, if I can hold out that long, so I can still use stuff like intelliscreenx, sbsettings, and ifile. I have a 16GB iPad so being able to connect it to a 32GB USB stick is great when I need the extra storage for movies or to transfer files from the iPad to another computer that does to have Internet access.

danetello
Jun 13, 2012, 04:11 AM
I don't really care when it comes out, I know I wont be upgrading straight away. I know there won't be a jailbreak for it until a while after its released, and I'm not willing to upgrade unless theres a jailbreak

osmanouzun
Jun 13, 2012, 04:44 AM
I am pretty excited about the new Apple maps feature. Finally some true competition to Google maps - I feel pitiful for Bing maps.

I did not see any improvements of the email app in iOS 6 - maybe I am wrong? Will we continue to see a basic email app with poor Gmail integration (i.e. no proper labels display, little opportunity to organize your inbox from within the app, etc)?

taedouni
Jun 14, 2012, 10:59 PM
Google maps did not have turn by turn navigation so it's not like you're being screwed over by owning an iPhone 4S. So you won't get all the big features that the 4S and iPad 2 or later will be getting but at least you're two year old phone will be getting a major OS update for free.

TheSuperSteve
Jun 14, 2012, 11:43 PM
For me it's been quite a flop, so I couldn't care less when it comes. I was hoping for features like quick reply and easy WiFi / Bluetooth toggle, so I'll probably wait until it gets jailbroken and just stay with 5.

I feel the same. I feel like I could wait forever for it and be fine. I was really disappointed with that iOS 6 offers.