PDA

View Full Version : iOS6 is probably the most underwhelming release of iOS to date

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 02:19 PM
Seriously, that was pretty lackluster.

I know there's another poll already but it's terribly constructed. This one is simple.

Lets summarize the 10 big features of iOS6 shall we?

From this page: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

1) Maps: Ok, that's big enough. Whole new interface. Whole new backend. Yep.
2) Siri tells you sports and movie stuff: Yeah sorry, that's a cloud feature.
3) Facebook: Social Networking garbage that should have been paired with Twitter last year. Doesn't even deserve a spot of its own.
4) Shared photo streams: An x.1 addition at best. All they did was make photo stream social. An enhancement, not a feature of its own.
5) Passbook: An app that I could have downloaded from the app store like "Find my Friends". Most people won't use this. They trust the native app more than a consolidated solution.
6) Facetime over Cellular: Something that should have always been there when Facetime came out. No reason to delay except to ration out the features.
7) Phone replies: Should have been there since iOS1. A complete joke. Typical Apple nonsense rationing of features.
8) Mail enhancements: Stuff that should have been there in iOS3. OMG APPLE THANKS FOR LETTING ME ATTACH STUFF IN THE MAIL APP. Complete crap, typical Apple rationing of features.
9) Safari enhancements: Typical stuff that should have been in iOS5 with iCloud. More feature rationing.
10) Accessibility: Apple JUST realized that kids and sick kids can use devices you manipulate with your fingers and parents might want some fine grained control? This should have been around since iOS3 as a minor feature that every parent can use. Typical Apple trying to showcase a feature because they want to portray how they REALLY care about children.

Anyway, yeah, iOS6 is a joke. I'm done with this nonsense for good.

Jarland
Jun 11, 2012, 02:21 PM
Someone on the Internet doesn't like something? I'm shocked. Seriously though, someone says this about every release of everything.

Raid
Jun 11, 2012, 02:22 PM
There are several new features and integration that I liked (like the 'do not disturb' functionality) and I'm glad Siri will be getting smarter up here in Canada. What were you looking for that didn't show up in iOS 6?

stuffradio
Jun 11, 2012, 02:24 PM
There are several new features and integration that I liked (like the 'do not disturb' functionality) and I'm glad Siri will be getting smarter up here in Canada. What were you looking for that didn't show up in iOS 6?

Siri on iPhone 4 so I can get Turn by turn.

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 02:25 PM
That's the thing. This wasn't a big OS upgrade. It was a big CLOUD upgrade with feature added to the OS to interact with that CLOUD upgrade. The only interesting iOS6 upgrade was Maps and that was pretty much a cloud-based feature, and the rest of the little features were things that should have been in iOS back during version 4. I mean, come on, you can FINALLY upload pictures via Safari? Give me a break...

iOS6 was lackluster at best. You guys can't even deny it now.

Daveoc64
Jun 11, 2012, 02:26 PM

"Turn by Turn" not being on the iPhone 4 is clearly nothing to do with Siri.

The screenshots clearly show that you can start and interact with the feature using the touch UI.

Having to use Siri would just be ridiculous.

They always introduce features in iOS that aren't available on previous generation devices.

Ayemerica
Jun 11, 2012, 02:27 PM
Way happy for Maps upgrade.

xAnthony
Jun 11, 2012, 02:27 PM
That's the thing. This wasn't a big OS upgrade. It was a big CLOUD upgrade with feature added to the OS to interact with that CLOUD upgrade. The only interesting feature was Maps, and the rest of the little features were things that should have been in iOS back during version 4. I mean, come on, you can FINALLY upload pictures via Safari? Give me a break...

Considering you only know 10 of the new 200 features, I don't understand how you can make that statement.

I personally like the upgrade, although I was hoping for a quick reply/compose feature.

iBreatheApple
Jun 11, 2012, 02:28 PM
I think many of the new features are awesome! That said, I did think there'd be more. But I'm still pretty excited.

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 02:30 PM
Considering you only know 10 of the new 200 features, I don't understand how you can make that statement.

I personally like the upgrade, although I was hoping for a quick reply/compose feature.
I read the listing from the keynote. Mostly stuff that should have been there to begin with.

When FACEBOOK integration is considered a major feature in a mobile OS, you know there's little innovation going on. Same with Twitter. All crap that can't even be counted as a major feature, yet Apple does it.

iPhoneApple
Jun 11, 2012, 02:31 PM
Maps made iOS 6 for me. so excited!

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 02:33 PM
Maps made iOS 6 for me. so excited!
Come on. Maps? That was the highlight? Something that Android already had last year?

Catching up to the competition is exciting now?

Raid
iOS6 was lackluster at best. You guys can't even deny it now. I guess that's the thing about watching it with no expectations. It may seem lackluster to you, but I'm ok with the update and will get it probably as soon as I'm home.

xAnthony
I read the listing from the keynote. Mostly stuff that should have been there to begin with.

When FACEBOOK integration is considered a major feature in a mobile OS, you know there's little innovation going on. Same with Twitter. All crap that can't even be counted as a major feature, yet Apple does it.

Nice try... But you don't know all 200 features. The picture of the features lists about 20. Wait until the actual iOS is released this fall, and then make judgement. I remember saying iOS 5 was a bust and once it was actually released, I really enjoyed it.

I'm not really a fan of the Twitter/Facebook support but I'm sure it may come in handy sometime.

iBreatheApple
Jun 11, 2012, 02:34 PM
Come on. Maps? That was the highlight? Something that Android already had last year?

I, for one, don't plan on ever switching to Android (in the foreseeable future, at least) so yes, this is a huge and welcomed feature for most.

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 11, 2012, 02:34 PM
iOS 6 is the upgrade I have been waiting for. I am more underwhelmed by Mountain Lion, I thought they showed of ML early to announce BIG features but it was just refining what we already know/expected. And the new Macbook Pro's are flipping amazing but only Pro's got retina display and nothing about Mac desktops.

Disappointed in no weather on lock screen or no safari Omnibar though? Those are musts for me.

Ke1ington
Jun 11, 2012, 02:35 PM
I'm in awe that I still can't have upcoming appointments on my lockscreen. I really wanted to be able to drop my jailbreak.

PacificBeach
Galaxy S3 will be the Phone to use over the summer........................

matttye
Very disappointed.

Most of the additions have been available on my other devices for years.

Playing catch up is fine, but they need to add features that other devices don't have in addition to the catchup features.

Calidude
I guess that's the thing about watching it with no expectations. It may seem lackluster to you, but I'm ok with the update and will get it probably as soon as I'm home.
I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't release major OS versions for somebody to just be "OK" with them.

This was a disappointment. Really. It's ok to admit it, guys.

nfl46
Jun 11, 2012, 02:36 PM
Oh well, all I want is my shiny new iPhone 5 this fall, lol.

Syk
Jun 11, 2012, 02:37 PM
I think I'm more along the lines of not wowed.
It's an ok update I guess

I think the only thing I really liked was the DND but alot of those features are available on some Android devices. Like voice reply to text for one.

I hope there's more to it and it will be shown when the new iPhone is released.

I guess I was just expecting more from the worlds greatest mobile operating system. Lot of stuff just bringing it inline with ICS. I was wanting that one WOW feature.

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 02:38 PM
Nice try... But you don't know all 200 features. The picture of the features lists about 20. Wait until the actual iOS is released this fall, and then make judgement. I remember saying iOS 5 was a bust and once it was actually released, I really enjoyed it.

I'm not really a fan of the Twitter/Facebook support but I'm sure it may come in handy sometime.
The ones they don't display are just things like "enhancement to iMessage UI" and the like. That's why they don't display them and we have to go looking for differences between major OS releases.

Sedrick
Jun 11, 2012, 02:38 PM

When you advertize for a new movie, do you show the 10 best clips from the movie? Of course you do. And when you see a preview and say "is that all they got?", you can usually bet the movie is gonna blow.

This was Apple's chance to 'wow' everyone, so that 10 is the best 10 they've got. The other 190 'features' are going to be things like 'typing an email will now automatically insert a period at the end of a sentence when hitting 'return'.

Anyway, as I said over there, nothing I saw would warrant loosing my Jailbrake.

Raid
Jun 11, 2012, 02:41 PM
I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't release major OS versions for somebody to just be "OK" with them.

This was a disappointment. Really. It's ok to admit it, guys. Nope, sorry, still not disappointed. No matter how much you think I should be.

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 02:42 PM
Nope, sorry, still not disappointed. No matter how much you think I should be.
Low standards will do that.

tnisatard
Jun 11, 2012, 02:47 PM
I thought iOS 4.0 was probably the least exciting release.

Multitasking that everyone now knows is just recent apps bar, wallpapers, and spellcheck were pretty dull, but I am excited about iOS 6.

M.a.r.k.
Jun 11, 2012, 02:47 PM
The ones they don't display are just things like "enhancement to iMessage UI" and the like. That's why they don't display them and we have to go looking for differences between major OS releases.

I actually remember seeing "keyboard shortcut to duplicate file" as one of 200 new features in Mountain Lion, and it was actually on the slide!

Also not really amazed by this. It feels more like iOS 5.5 and not iOS 6 :confused:

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 02:48 PM
I thought iOS 4.0 was probably the least exciting release.

Multitasking that everyone now knows is just recent apps bar, wallpapers, and spellcheck were pretty dull, but I am excited about iOS 6.
iOS5 made people want to lose their jailbreak for a while, but this...this is just not a huge deal to anybody unless they want turn-by-turn.

Raid
Jun 11, 2012, 02:49 PM
Low standards will do that.

Just as irrational expectations will do the opposite... you still haven't said if there was anything you wanted to see that didn't come up in this update... Is there anything?

OneMike
Jun 11, 2012, 02:49 PM
There were nice features, but overall this update was kind of boring IMO.

cclloyd
Jun 11, 2012, 02:50 PM
With the way iOS is designed, I don't expect amazing revolutionary redesigns like I do in OSX, I just expect features added, and stability increases. This fits that. Adding more and more as people request.

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 02:51 PM
So will irrational expectations... you still haven't said if there was anything you wanted to see that didn't come up in this update... Is there anything?
Nothing irrational about things like quick reply to SMS, Calling Notification bars, etc. Things that people jailbreak for or go to Android for. That's what people really want.

VSMacOne
Jun 11, 2012, 02:52 PM
This is not the final product. I'm sure there will be plenty of new features and changes made before the GM release in the fall. Apple always does that. I for one don't care much about the look of the OS as much as I care about all the new apps and functionality they announced today. That alone is pretty mind blowing!

Raid
Jun 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
Nothing irrational about things like quick reply to SMS, Calling Notification bars, etc. Things that people jailbreak for or go to Android for. That's what people really want.
Sorry those don't sound like earth shattering features to me... so I'm not disappointed by the lack of them. Should apple implement something like it? Maybe. But I can wait.

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 02:56 PM
This is not the final product. I'm sure there will be plenty of new features and changes made before the GM release in the fall. Apple always does that. I for one don't care much about the look of the OS as much as I care about all the new apps and functionality they announced today. That alone is pretty mind blowing!
This is pretty much the final product with some revisions and fixes save for what comes with the hardware in iPhone 5. That's why its called a beta and not an Alpha.

xAnthony
Jun 11, 2012, 02:56 PM

Not to mention there may be a feature only available on the iPhone 5... Kinda like how Siri was only available on the iPhone 4S.

Daveoc64
Jun 11, 2012, 02:57 PM

That's a clear exaggeration.

Prior to iOS 4:

-VOIP Apps (and calls) would stop if you closed the App
-Third party audio apps would stop if you closed the App
-You couldn't have a navigation App open in the background
-Apps had to reload their state from scratch when you switched between them

iOS Multitasking is nowhere near as complete as other platforms, but iOS 4 is lightyears ahead of iOS 3 in that regard.

iPhoneApple
Jun 11, 2012, 02:57 PM
How about we wait to see some reviews from developers

nutmac
Jun 11, 2012, 02:58 PM
Love the new Maps, Passport, and Shared Photo Stream.

Lukewarm on FaceTime over cellular (no voice only mode), Siri (no text entry mode), Phone (do not disturb is nice, but would love blocked number and reworked UI)

Disappointed by lack of major change on home page, notification center, no default app permission, and inability to share documents across apps. Hopefully, these features are coming and simply not demoed.

drew0020
Jun 11, 2012, 02:59 PM
iOS6 is a major disappointment. About the only positive of the 10 added items (discussed in the presentation) is maps and I feel like the majority of that is really fluff.

If you really had a need for navigation in the last 3 years you either purchased a car with it built in, a stand alone unit, used an android phone or bought a navigation app on the app store.

These are items that I felt needed to be added to iOS6:
1. live tiles for weather especially
2. quick access to settings
3. quickreply to SMS
4. intelligent homescreen that shows all notifications until you dismiss them
5. updated standard weather app (I mean Apple did make a ‘cards’ app)
6. full screen safari
7. updated camera app

I had pretty low expectations for iOS6 and I am still disappointed...

sk1wbw
According to the Android fanboys I talked to on Twitter today, they've been doing everything in iOS 6 since forever.

Jordan921

You can get turn by turn when you update to iOS 6. Sorry but you won't be getting Siri with an iPhone 4.

VSMacOne
This is pretty much the final product with some revisions and fixes save for what comes with the hardware in iPhone 5. That's why its called a beta and not an Alpha.

And you know this for a fact?
All i'm saying is you haven't even seen all the other features that were not mentioned during the keynote, nor do you know for sure that all the features that you wanted are not there. PLUS whatever gets released in the fall tied to hardware. BUT i have a suspicion that since it looks like iPhone 5 will be a new beast, the iOS might also get heavier changes as we get closer.

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 03:00 PM
Sorry those don't sound like earth shattering features to me... so I'm not disappointed by the lack of them. Should apple implement something like it? Maybe. But I can wait.
I was just trying to tell that people don't have irrational expectations about iOS. They just want it to function more like their laptop, yet Apple moves toward that at a painfully slow pace. Things that existed in Symbian still don't exist in iOS, for christsake.

Another big issue is that the interface doesn't really change, and any things that have been tacked on like the Notification center come from Android.

Coming from a company that claims to be big on design, you'd think iOS would have an interface that nobody would want to move from, yet people jailbreak to add things or go to Android to escape iOS.

Daveoc64
Jun 11, 2012, 03:00 PM
According to the Android fanboys I talked to on Twitter today, they've been doing everything in iOS 6 since forever.

Fanboyism aside, a few of the features are simply cloning existing iOS Apps.

illitrate23
Jun 11, 2012, 03:01 PM
this thread is probably the most underwhelming thread on MacRumours to date

Daveoc64
Jun 11, 2012, 03:01 PM
You can get turn by turn when you update to iOS 6. Sorry but you won't be getting Siri with an iPhone 4.

As posted on Apple.com, "Turn by Turn Navigation" will only available on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 "or later".

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 03:04 PM
Disappointed by lack of major change on home page, notification center, no default app permission, and inability to share documents across apps. Hopefully, these features are coming and simply not demoed.
That is all scheduled for iOS10 or maybe iOS11, if you haven't already moved to another OS by then.

pooleman
Jun 11, 2012, 03:05 PM
That's the thing. This wasn't a big OS upgrade. It was a big CLOUD upgrade with feature added to the OS to interact with that CLOUD upgrade. The only interesting iOS6 upgrade was Maps and that was pretty much a cloud-based feature, and the rest of the little features were things that should have been in iOS back during version 4. I mean, come on, you can FINALLY upload pictures via Safari? Give me a break...

Oh my God. Really? This is getting old with the constant complaining and nit-picking. You do better. Come on, Calidude. Get off your butt and make something better. You redesign the entire iOS in your glorious vision of what it should be, and then present it to us. Show us how brilliant you are and back up all of your criticism. Then each year in June roll out a completely revamped and superior OS that dwarfs your already staggering and cutting-edge triumph of human ingenuity.

Or, keep criticizing everything on the internet. Feverishly typing away, your freshly lubricated potato chip greased fingers can rain down insults and criticism on invisible corporate giants who didn't quite meet your highest expectations.

I wonder which one of these options you'll choose. :rolleyes:

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 03:06 PM
3. quickreply to SMS
6. full screen safari
7. updated camera app

How dare you want to change the OS according to your needs and user experience! Those are irrational expectations!

:rolleyes:

fr4c
iOS6 was lackluster for you, we get it. Creating a poll and telling people your opinions on why it was underwhelming are not going to change other people's impressions.

ThisIsNotMe
So many people don't understand the significance of these new "modules" for Siri as well as the new Maps application and how it relates to future growth of Google search/advertising on mobile.

Jordan921
Jun 11, 2012, 03:08 PM
That is all scheduled for iOS10 or maybe iOS11, if you haven't already moved to another OS by then.

BooHoo iOS 6 didn't have everything YOU wanted. So everyone should be disappointed with you. I'm sorry but i'm not in the same boat as you.

scottish
Jun 11, 2012, 03:09 PM
iOS 6 is the upgrade I have been waiting for. I am more underwhelmed by Mountain Lion, I thought they showed of ML early to announce BIG features but it was just refining what we already know/expected. And the new Macbook Pro's are flipping amazing but only Pro's got retina display and nothing about Mac desktops.

Disappointed in no weather on lock screen or no safari Omnibar though? Those are musts for me.

Yeah, what is up with that? Especially now it exists on Safari on OS X.

Calidude
As posted on Apple.com, "Turn by Turn Navigation" will only available on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 "or later".
Hahaha.

So much for that golden ticket.

cardinalryan
Oh my God. Really? This is getting old with the constant complaining and nit-picking. You do better. Come on, Calidude. Get off your butt and make something better. You redesign the entire iOS in your glorious vision of what it should be, and then present it to us. Show us how brilliant you are and back up all of your criticism. Then each year in June roll out a completely revamped and superior OS that dwarfs your already staggering and cutting-edge triumph of human ingenuity.

Or, keep criticizing everything on the internet. Feverishly typing away, your freshly lubricated potato chip greased fingers can rain down insults and criticism on invisible corporate giants who didn't quite meet your highest expectations.

I wonder which one of these options you'll choose. :rolleyes:
What a silly and useless post.

Calidude isn't saying "he can do better", he is saying that for a company that touts its own innovation, iOS 6 was a serious letdown.

I don't care what side of the fence you are on...personally, I have owned iOS devices since the inception of the original iPhone and currently use Android as well. There is just so much more you can do with an Android device...I really thought and was truly hoping that iOS 6 would offer the same functionality that my HTC One X does, but the fact is, it doesn't.

This was a disappointing day for Apple and I think it shows how much we are going to miss Steve Jobs as time goes on. Just my opinion.

jman240
Jun 11, 2012, 03:11 PM
Not a disappointment since I want all these new features, but it is a bit lack luster.

Pretty much a "we copied Android to the fullest and fixed our horribly slow store apps" update. Not a bad thing by any means but not the wow factor update we all thought.

Android does it:
-Turn by turn
-Better maps and 3D view
-Send text to ignored call
-Notification timeout
-Facebook sharing / integration (also a WP7 thing)
-Cloud Browser Tabs (provided you can use Chrome on your Android phone..)
-Priority Inbox (gmail).. Ok ok, VIP, whatever..
-I want to say Video calls over 3G but they really don't have an integrated solution like FaceTime so this is kind of nice.

There are some things that aren't a direct copy from other mobile OS's and I do prefer the way Apple implements things.

The only real new things that stood out to me were the accessibility mode for Autism, which I see being used more for public point of sale systems or places that want to use iPads as information kiosks, and the push to more iCloud stuff like shared photo streams.

Siri is great and all and the changes are nice but it could do most of those things 2 years ago before Apple bought and integrated them so yeah...

Regardless of the similarities I'm extremely glad the iPhone is getting these updates. I don't believe this is the end of the story and we will see something new in the fall at the very least. It's not like the update is bad it's just lacking anything truly exciting like I've seen from the speculation on the forums over the past month.

Myiphone7
Jun 11, 2012, 03:13 PM
Nope, sorry, still not disappointed. No matter how much you think I should be.

It's OK to admit apple completely messed this one up. This iOS is the biggest snooze since Apple claimed the compass was a great new feature (which no one on planet earth cared about)

That being said, iOS 7 should be pretty good since this was disappointing for everyone admit it or not.

Jordan921
Jun 11, 2012, 03:13 PM

Well I guess people with iPhone 4 won't be getting Siri or Turn by Turn navigation then. Sucks for them.

Myiphone7
Jun 11, 2012, 03:14 PM
All of this stuff was Android eons ago too.

chrf097
Jun 11, 2012, 03:14 PM
I was hoping for a little more. I for one am loving the new Siri updates, Facebook integration, the new Maps (VECTOR BASED! WOO!), Fullscreen Safari, and I also really like the new Store remodeling.

AndyK
Jun 11, 2012, 03:15 PM

+1 to this. Not really a lot going on outside of maps, which is hardly a feature that makes or breaks regardless of how good it is.

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 03:16 PM
This was a disappointing day for Apple and I think it shows how much we are going to miss Steve Jobs as time goes on. Just my opinion.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's policy is now to slow iOS development even more since Jobs isn't around to push them anymore.

I wonder if he would have been ok with this iOS6 cloud update. The man at least had SOME standards and wanted to wow people, and there was nothing to wow about today, unless people aren't aware that Android could already do turn-by-turn and "flyover" natively

web500sjc
Jun 11, 2012, 03:19 PM
really the only nice feature I find is Passport (yes I know its just an aggregate app like News Stand).

Siri is still a Gimmick (it is more useful but a gimmick).

Maps is really a main feature, its been there since iOS 1, they just put in turn by turn and took out google.

Facebook I could care less about

Shared photo streams is ok (I don't know why this is an iOS update)

FaceTime over 3g? great but not what i would call earth shattering

phone features again ok

Mail, safari are just updates to an app, not much

and how many users are going to care about guided access?

why does apple play catch up? i bought into this ecosystem because of innovation...not to get what everyone else had two years ago. Apple needs to introduce New non gimmick features, at the very least emulate what other OS' have.

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 03:19 PM
+1 to this. Not really a lot going on outside of maps, which is hardly a feature that makes or breaks regardless of how good it is.
Most people here won't admit this, but Maps was the only major feature to warrant a "big" feature spot, and the rest of the "big" features were things you'd expect in a 6.1 or 6.2 update.

Siri now tells you sports scores? That's an OS feature? Nope. That's a cloud feature.

Kinda sad.

Netherscourge
Jun 11, 2012, 03:20 PM
It's only disappointing if you don't own a 4S or a New iPad.

Otherwise, it's awesome.

JKK photography
Jun 11, 2012, 03:22 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's policy is now to slow iOS development even more since Jobs isn't around to push them anymore.

I wonder if he would have been ok with this iOS6 cloud update. The man at least had SOME standards and wanted to wow people, and there was nothing to wow about today, unless people aren't aware that Android could already do turn-by-turn and "flyover" natively

Asking the "WWJD" question (what would Jobs do) is the absolute worst thing you can think of. Please, please don't start that.

PlaceofDis
Jun 11, 2012, 03:23 PM
iOS 6 goes along with what Apple have been doing since iOS came out. steady improvements that build on an already solid core. this doesn't surprise me in the least and the features sound great for the update. Anyone who expects or expected anything that was mind blowing or vastly different visually was hyping themselves up for no good reason.

Sensamic
Jun 11, 2012, 03:24 PM
No GESTURES for iphone!

Ill buy the next iPhone bur I admit innovation is now on the Google side. Ice Cream Sandwich had some really cool stuff like gestures, people app, super awesome youtube app, better multitasking, better maps and gmail, etc.

I dint mind admitting that, but Ill stick with Apple because I prefer their ecosystem and dont like touchwiz and sense and fragmentation.

jnl1211
Jun 11, 2012, 03:30 PM
They're catching up finally. Reject a call with SMS, just now?!?!

All the other new features are ones I'm already using via Jailbreak. unimpressed to say the least

iCole
Jun 11, 2012, 03:30 PM
I liked it. It wasn't earth shattering but nice. When I switched back to iOS because I was sick and tired of my Android phone (first Samsung Galaxy S), I have to admit that I missed some things. Most of them, I got through iOS5, and more are coming to iOS6. I also like the whole iCloud integration between iOS and OSX machines. Again nothing revolutionary, but simply more useful features built on top of a good stable and well looking OS.

A few of my friends are using iPads now and we have fun using the FaceTime and iMessage features. I think this is what it is all about. An easy OS with lots of features (that may have existed for ages) but are easy to use and find, and are therefor also used by non-techies.

:-)

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 11, 2012, 03:32 PM
Yeah, what is up with that? Especially now it exists on Safari on OS X.

Yeah, it makes more sense on the iPhone than any other device because of the lack of room.

rovex
Jun 11, 2012, 03:32 PM
This was the year of hardware for Apple. Next year i think we'll finally be in for a treat.

Jlrera
Jun 11, 2012, 03:33 PM
I don't think it was underwhelming, i just think instead of calling it iOS 6 it should have been iOS 5.5, theres nothing really spectacular outside the maps that makes this deserving of a whole new IOS.

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 03:34 PM
Posted this list to my OP where it belongs.

Sensamic
Jun 11, 2012, 03:42 PM
I think you guys dont understand one thing...

Siri now has new languagues! Consider that for those who dont live in the US.

Plus, a GREAT new feature is adding photos and videos from within apps like safari and mail and not from outside.

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 03:51 PM

Plus, a GREAT new feature is adding photos and videos from within apps like safari and mail and not from outside.
A cloud upgrade and something that should have always been there.

That's what excites people these days...

xAnthony
Jun 11, 2012, 03:52 PM

3) Facebook: Social Networking garbage that should have been paired with Twitter last year. Doesn't even deserve a spot of its own.
4) Shared photo streams: An x.1 addition at best. All they did was make photo stream social. An enhancement, not a feature of its own.
5) Passbook: An app that I could have downloaded from the app store like "Find my Friends". Most people won't use this. They trust the native app more than a consolidated solution.
6) Facetime over Cellular: Something that should have always been there when Facetime came out. No reason to delay except to ration out the features.
7) Phone replies: Should have been there since iOS1. A complete joke. Typical Apple nonsense rationing of features.
8) Mail enhancements: Stuff that should have been there in iOS3. OMG APPLE THANKS FOR LETTING ME ATTACH STUFF IN THE MAIL APP. Complete crap, typical Apple rationing of features.
9) Safari enhancements: Typical stuff that should have been in iOS5 with iCloud. More feature rationing.
10) Accessibility: Apple JUST realized that kids and sick kids can use devices you manipulate with your fingers and parents might want some fine grained control? This should have been around since iOS3 as a minor feature that every parent can use. Typical Apple trying to showcase a feature because they want to portray how they REALLY care about children.

If you don't like the added features, stay on iOS 5, or stop bitching and get an Android device. It's quite annoying. I'd take ALL of those features over having none of them. Just because you may not think something is useful, doesn't mean others won't.

I personally think shared photo streams is amazing! When I go on trips with friends we'll all be able to see each others photos without having to say "Hey bud.. could you send me that photo you took?" I'm really excited about that one.

I haven't seen you list anything you would liked to have seen other than a quick reply feature. If that was added, would it be the best iOS release ever?

Gatecrasher1875
Jun 11, 2012, 03:52 PM
Hi

First post, so go easy on me people ;)

Apple have obviously worked hard on expanding siri and the new maps do look amazing. I think in general people seem to be looking for an extra few things to add to the user experience to personalize or allow first glance access to information (widgets or lock screen notifications). I think these will come in time but i think its the amount of time that Apple seem to respond to these type of suggestions is leading to frustrations.

Overall i think its a decent upgrade, I do plan on getting the new iPhone if it looks good :p

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 03:57 PM
I haven't seen you list anything you would liked to have seen other than a quick reply feature. If that was added, would it be the best iOS release ever?
No because that should have been there a long time ago. Apple is actually sticking with outdated ways of doing things on their phone and you guys are praising them for it.

rovex
Jun 11, 2012, 04:00 PM

Welcome to the free market economy.

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 04:03 PM

Yeah that IS a good feature, but did we really have to wait until iOS SIX to be able to attach files to an email? It's still only half assed as it doesn't support attaching documents and stuff, only pictures and videos.

Next year...great new feature, you can attach iWork documents to your emails from within the email app! What an improvement!

I wish Apple would stop trickling features like they do, it's beyond ridiculous.

Calidude
Welcome to the free market economy.
Yes its quite nice to be able to shun companies.

xAnthony
No because that should have been there a long time ago. Apple is actually sticking with outdated ways of doing things on their phone and you guys are praising them for it.

Buy an Android device if you don't like what iOS has to offer... No one is stopping you.

What I find hilarious is that you're bashing iOS and the new features, yet you still own an iPhone, and you'll probably be one of the first to update your phone to iOS 6.

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 04:09 PM
Buy an Android device if you don't like what iOS has to offer... No one is stopping you.

What I find hilarious is that you're bashing iOS and the new features, yet you still own an iPhone, and you'll probably be one of the first to update your phone to iOS 6.
I went with Android last week to try it before iPhone 5 comes out. Running ICS as I type this. No more iPhone for me. iOS6 pretty much confirmed for me that Apple will never have any incentive to innovate. In fact, I'd say this upgrade is more of an insult and a CLOUD upgrade masquerading as an OS upgrade.

See you guys on Rootzwiki.

DDustiNN
Jun 11, 2012, 04:11 PM
If you don't like the added features, stay on iOS 5, or stop bitching and get an Android device. It's quite annoying. I'd take ALL of those features over having none of them. Just because you may not think something is useful, doesn't mean others won't.

I personally think shared photo streams is amazing! When I go on trips with friends we'll all be able to see each others photos without having to say "Hey bud.. could you send me that photo you took?" I'm really excited about that one.

My Android phone from 2009 had Facebook integration and turn-by-turn navigation. Hooray, Apple is finally catching up!

My old Android also had QuickReply, displayed my contact photos within my contact list (and synced them to their current Facebook photos), and displayed contact photos within my list of text messages. It also had notification icons in the taskbar to show if I have a missed call or unread text messages.

Why does iOS lack such simplistic features? Why would I want to see a plain old boring list of names, when any other phone/device displays their picture beside the name? It just looks archaic.

I love my iPhone 4, but it sucks that I have to jailbreak it just to get such basic features that are stock everywhere else.

Remember copy/paste? Apple finally got it after the competition had it for quite some time, and all the fanboys rejoiced as if it was the latest and greatest thing ever. Same thing with notifications in iOS 5.

Apple is constantly playing catch-up, lacking basic features, and adding stuff that the majority of people won't really use.

Alas, the silly fanboys rejoice.

I am an iOS developer, so of course I'm tempted to install iOS 6 today, but I know I will just be disappointed when I'm missing out on my basic jailbreak tweaks that should have been stock all along...

kramjam
Jun 11, 2012, 04:13 PM
I went with Android last week to try it before iPhone 5 comes out. Running ICS as I type this. No more iPhone for me. iOS6 pretty much confirmed for me that Apple will never have any incentive to innovate. In fact, I'd say this upgrade is more of an insult and a CLOUD upgrade masquerading as an OS upgrade.

I've always stuck with iPhones, but the iOS6 features announced so far are pretty underwhelming, and I bought a 4S on craigs today because my 4 was so damn slow. What phone did you end up getting? I may check out the SGS 3 for a few weeks and if I can switch, sell the 4S and see if the next iPhone comes with some kind of features to switch back

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 04:13 PM

I'll upgrade my iPad to iOS 6 as soon as its available; doesn't mean the update is anything special. Pure catch up update.

bigjnyc
Jun 11, 2012, 04:14 PM
I learned a long time ago to temper my expectations for any Apple announcement. With the exception of a few great product announcements (MBA, iPhone for example) Apple is the king of rationing out features and upgrades... They feed you slowly... With that knowledge I never get my hopes up too high for any keynotes and therefore am not disappointed. I just laugh at all the wild wishes, speculations and predictions that get thrown around before any announcement.

rovex
Jun 11, 2012, 04:14 PM
Yes its quite nice to be able to shun companies.

I actually agree with you here, but Apple is one of the few companies that arguably has control over the consumer.

Some of us just have to persevere with being on the receiving end of what is a difficult position to change.

CrAkD
Jun 11, 2012, 04:15 PM
alot of little things that I loved (ipad, mac can use phone numbers for imessage) But I agree there being no big new feature. Maps was as close to a flagship new feature that we got but both my cars have built in GPS so I wont really use turn by turn but its good iOS finally got it.

Fireblade
Jun 11, 2012, 04:16 PM

Welcome Apple to 2010!
IOS more and more reminds me a bit of the Blackberry software, always 2 years behind.

Rootzwiki is the place to be.

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 04:18 PM
I learned a long time ago to temper my expectations for any Apple announcement. With the exception of a few great product announcements (MBA, iPhone for example) Apple is the king of rationing out features and upgrades... They feed you slowly... With that knowledge I never get my hopes up too high for any keynotes and therefore am not disappointed. I just laugh at all the wild wishes, speculations and predictions that get thrown around before any announcement.

It's okay to trickle features when you're the king, but iPhone has some very hot competition now (iPad not so much) so Apple needs to impress..

I'm under no illusion they won't sell a ton of the next iPhone, but their competitors are becoming more popular).

Where are the useful innovative features like Google Wallet (NFC payments) and smart stay? (screen stays on while youre looking at it)

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 04:26 PM
I actually agree with you here, but Apple is one of the few companies that arguably has control over the consumer.

Some of us just have to persevere with being on the receiving end of what is a difficult position to change.
They only have control over complacent non-technical people, no offense. The sooner you leave Apple the better. I'm glad I didn't really depend on any Apple stuff. I can still use my iCloud email and all that, which is great, so jumping the Apple ship was pretty easy for me. I don't know how people can put all their eggs in one basket.

I'm not sure why anybody on this forum has any loyalty to any company. Right now I'm using an Android ICS handset which works great, but if something better comes out that serves my needs better, such as Tizen, I'll dump Android like a sack of bricks and go with Tizen.

nextgeneric
Jun 11, 2012, 04:29 PM
As somebody who has iOS 6 beta installed on my device (for about 1 1/2 hours) I can agree with the sentiment that this is truly and underwhelming release. Maps is cool - for about five seconds. I do like what they've done with the clock app on iPad though, it looks slick.

Everything else is just "meh". I've been combing through the interface to see if I find new stuff but here's what I've found.

New App Store
New iTunes Store
New Clock App
Slightly modified look on Settings app
Maps, of course
Some other minute things
Slightly modified UI on camera

I missed some but they aren't quite notable, in my humble opinion.

irDigital0l
Jun 11, 2012, 04:29 PM
Kinda disappointed...

Mainly:
-no live weather & clock icons
-no more widgets for notification center
-turn-by-turn direction doesnt support iPhone 4
-no update to youtube and gamecenter app

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 04:34 PM
Kinda disappointed...

Mainly:
-no live weather & clock icons
-no more widgets for notification center
-turn-by-turn direction doesnt support iPhone 4
-no update to youtube and gamecenter app
I think its funny how widgets are a choice on Android yet if you even utter the word "widget" around here, people cry out for your head on a pike.

Applefans hate choice. It's amazing but they really do hate choice. They want to be told what works for them.

MBX
Jun 11, 2012, 04:38 PM
:mad: I can't believe this. Apple hasn't overhauled iOS really since the original introduction.

The look / feel still same, still same old icon grid based UI.

Starting to look + feel very dated next to Android/ Win8 UI features. Those others are much more flexible, can include widgets, more user-based info. While Apple can only display icons. Yikes.

Why is Apple resting on their laurels?

You'd think a company dominating so much now would've invested a lot more time to improve iOS and be innovative again. Instead now iOS6 feels like a dinosaur.

Also I sure hope Apple gives us the option to switch to Google maps if we want to.

Overall i'm disappointed with the Keynote but this is almost the case every time.

I wasn't expecting the new Apple HDTV (iTV) but why no iPhone5 introduction? Samsung is already out with their next gen Galaxy quad-core phone and Apple still only has the 4S.

Android sure is tempting now and i might do the switch.

Really disappointing

soucy
Jun 11, 2012, 04:39 PM
The biggest disappointment in iOS6 is that iOS and therefore all Apple devices get more and more US/Canada tailored. I am afraid a lot of the so called "new stuff" shown in todays keynote will not be available outside the US and Canada.

jnl1211
Jun 11, 2012, 04:39 PM
Omg. Another overhaul thread. You want overhaul, get Android.

You'll be back.

Dmunjal
Jun 11, 2012, 04:41 PM

Will this feature let me attach any document or just pictures and video?

cyks
Jun 11, 2012, 04:43 PM
OMG! Apple hasn't changed the UI of OSX since it's introduction!

I don't see why people want a change so badly. It's works, it's clean, and it's extremely user friendly and easy to use.

I wouldn't mind a bit more customization, but and overhaul just seems completely idiotic.

nfl46
Jun 11, 2012, 04:43 PM
And you'll be standing in line or waiting at your front door for the new iPhone, with iOS 6, on it this fall.

Give it a break. There's already enough threads on this.

irDigital0l
Jun 11, 2012, 04:45 PM
I think its funny how widgets are a choice on Android yet if you even utter the word "widget" around here, people cry out for your head on a pike.

Applefans hate choice. It's amazing but they really do hate choice. They want to be told what works for them.

Honestly I dont even care about the type of widgets that Android has. I know Apple will never do it...

but notification center widgets sound reasonable.

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 04:45 PM
The Apple RDF* was in full force tonight.

Here's a quote from Scott Forstall:

"We have been working very closely with Facebook to create the best Facebook integration ever in a mobile device."

Best Facebook integration ever? REALLY?

Let's see if we can find a device that has the same or better integration. Oh yes, the HTC Desire, that phone from HTC that was released two years ago (a lifetime in the technology world):

- Credential sharing? Check.
- Post pics from gallery, sites from browser, location from maps? Check.
- Talk to your phone to post on Facebook? Check (with the assistance of a third party voice app like Vlingo).
- Like apps? This is the only thing it doesn't have, but you can share a link to the app to your wall and then like your comment.
- Contact syncing? Check.

The HTC Desire also had the benefit of being able to see people's status updates from within the contact app. You could see their tweets from the same place.

Why does Apple lie?

*reality distortion field.

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 04:46 PM
Will this feature let me attach any document or just pictures and video?
EDIT: Just photos and videos lol.

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 04:48 PM
Probably everything you can attach in any kind of email.

Wait wait what am I talking about?!?!? This is an Apple innovation. Attaching from within the mail app after 6 years is truly a sign of Apple's commitment to being the leader of the smartphone industry.

Nope, just photos and videos.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

"Photos and videos.
Add photos and videos to email messages with just a few taps."

ZepFloyd
Jun 11, 2012, 04:49 PM
so this update is basically useless for those with an iphone 4 or under right?

Calidude
Jun 11, 2012, 04:51 PM
God I just checked, too.

I can't believe it. 6 years to attach from the mail app and its still only photos and video. How do people justify this? Is it a religious movement where listening to the underdog of the PC industry is considered a holy sacrament?

Internaut
Jun 11, 2012, 05:02 PM
The UI is fine though the lack of anything really, seriously new is strange. There are great Lion features that would port to a modern iOS on cutting edge hardware really well; Mission Control for example. OTOH the widget mania of the Android world leaves me cold but a summary screen is long overdue IMHO (I.e weather, appointments, news and task tickers.

I see (and now know a little) the "do it your way" philosophy of the Android world but have no issues with Apple's "Apple knows best" approach.

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 05:29 PM
This is how Apple should do shortcuts to common settings:

And this is how they should do attachments:

What is wrong with that? :confused:

Hastings101
Jun 11, 2012, 05:32 PM
Kind of disappointing but I'm sure more features will be announced when the iPhone 5 is released. Doesn't matter much to me anyway, I only bought an iPhone to hold me over until Windows Phone gets put onto a phone with dual core and a decent display resolution.

Sedrick
Jun 11, 2012, 05:48 PM

It is a weird mind set, that's for sure. It all boils down to what 'Steve' gave them. If 'Steve' didn't give them widgets, then widgets are evil. 'Steve' doesn't want them to have widgets so they don't want widgets and they'll defend that to the death. Just like this is the greatest update ever(!), and even better because Apple's publicist says that 'Steve' had a hand in it (and in the next 3 iPhones).

Eckscaliber
Jun 11, 2012, 05:51 PM
#1 & #3 are the only 2 of the 10 that I care about.

cynics
Jun 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
I'm happy for the upgrades that its getting. Because my 4S works perfectly on ios5 so anything I get feels like a free upgrade! So I'm happy about that.

On the same note I went from gingerbread and honeycomb to ICS and its awesome. Massive overhaul of the OS, tons of upgrades, lots of great features etc etc can't say enough good about it. So I think I'm a little underwhelmed with the upgrade from ios5 to ios6.

I'm going to wait until I'm using it before I make any real judgments though. There might be a lot of little things not mentioned.

MasterHowl
Jun 11, 2012, 05:56 PM
You know it's bad when they spend 5 minutes showing off the Passbook app...

Eckscaliber
Jun 11, 2012, 05:57 PM
I don't want an overhaul, just some icons changed. For example, I think the Photos icon is bland and can be more vibrant. They can change an icon or two & still keep things simplistic.

na1577
Jun 11, 2012, 05:59 PM
For once, I found OS X more interesting than iOS.

iMolle
Jun 11, 2012, 05:59 PM

HUH?? Then simply go to Android i mean lol...

sulpfiction
Jun 11, 2012, 06:07 PM
but why no iPhone5 introduction?

you aren't seriously dissappointed with no iPhone announce today, are u?? U say ur let down after every keynote and this is why. NO ONE was expecting an iPhone today. In fact, everything pointed to a fall release. Were people hoping apple surprised us with an out of the blue iPhone announce? Sure..but the chance of that was about .01%. How the heck could u be let down?? The 4S has been out for 8 months and is still one the best selling phones today. No reason to announce something today. iPhone is going to be a fall announce from here on out. Right in time or the holiday rush. Go out and get an android phone. You sound like you'll be much happier.

VidPro
Jun 11, 2012, 06:09 PM
I can't be sure it's a disappointment but it sure seems like a boring update.

Peterg2
Jun 11, 2012, 06:20 PM
iOS5 made people want to lose their jailbreak for a while, but this...this is just not a huge deal to anybody unless they want turn-by-turn.

This is exactly my situation. I was jailbroken before iOS5 came out and finally, after a few weeks when no jailbreak of iOS5 was forthcoming, I decided to update to 5 as I was quite tempted. In this case, I have no temptation whatsoever (I do have just an iPhone 4).

Assuming this is a proper beta (ie essentially feature-complete) this is also having an affect on my future purchase decision of an iPhone 5 (I am leaning against it). The only aspect that is giving me pause is the outstanding Apple Store service and replacement policy which I know I will not get when buying an Android phone (the HTX One X and not the Galaxy SIII is what I am leaning towards).

What this update has done is piqued my curiosity in what Windows Phone 8 will bring.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 11, 2012, 06:22 PM

And this is how they should do attachments:

That's gross!!!!

cynics
Jun 11, 2012, 06:28 PM
That's gross!!!!

While you might disagree with its appearance it's and obvious and much needed upgrade. Inverse the colors, boom apples version.

ixodes
Jun 11, 2012, 06:33 PM
Jobs is dead, it's time to move on.

Apple has always been known to employ the technique of milking the consumers, while saving improvements that could be implemented now, for a future version. There's nothing wrong with this because Apple knows whatever they do will be revered by their worshippers. And that's Apples true genius.

MassiveAttack
Jun 11, 2012, 06:34 PM
Same old dusty UI as in the original 2007 iPhone? Yes it's underwhelming.

ixodes
Jun 11, 2012, 06:39 PM
I can't be sure it's a disappointment but it sure seems like a boring update.

It's no disappointment as I see it. Nor is it exciting. It's just Apple.

They've got the formula for monetary pay back all sorted out, and use it to their advantage. That's quite an accomplishment.

kid0
Jun 11, 2012, 06:42 PM
Oh well, all I want is my shiny new iPhone 5 this fall, lol.

you mean shiny long a** iphone 5 -.-

KittyKatta
Jun 11, 2012, 06:42 PM
I'm actually excited for this update because I will use every feature they mentioned. But it is disappnting that almost everything is just addressing features that came out half baked a generation (or three) ago.

-Siri functionality
-Facebook integration
- Wifi FaceTime
- Phone replies
- Passbook

Which one of these 200 new features really couldn't be put into a .x update? And as exciting as new Maps may be, imagine if Google didn't block their app from getting a proper iOS update then would anyone really be begging for new Maps apps?

Again, I am excited for this but it's very easy to see why most people won't be because aesthetically we've still got the same aging interface.

blairh
Jun 11, 2012, 06:55 PM
I think it's still amazing that you have to go into settings to turn wi-fi on and off. It's the little things like that that Android does better.

Honestly, I like iOS a great deal and am fine with 5 being a bigger update than 6. However I still think they could have improved some things and they didn't.

TTMax
Jun 11, 2012, 07:09 PM
iOS6 is a BS release, it seems Apple is afraid to give the 5 year old OS a real overhaul. Yes it has features added, but facebook integration? iMaps? Do not disturb? What about a graphical overhaul? How many times faster is the GPU in the 4S compared with the original, yet we are left with essentially the same interface after 5 years. Is it any wonder that people are wooed by the Galaxy S3? Expected more from Apple, simply bolting on little pieces doesn't impress.

PhoneI
Jun 11, 2012, 07:09 PM
-I never turn wifi, or Bluetooth off
-no desire for widgets
-hate live tiles on my windows 8 beta

-like new email improvements
-like Facebook integration
-like photostream enhancements
-like iMessage improvements
-love FaceTime over cellular
-love turn by turn

Am I allowed to be excited about this release, or do I have to have a negative opinion to post here?

Matters30
Jun 11, 2012, 07:26 PM
I haven't posted on here forever, but felt compelled to do so after watching today's keynote. I have had every iphone (except the 3g) since it's debut and yes iO6 is disappointing and underwhelming. There is zero innovation here, nothing that isn't on android or wp7. Yes iOS is easy to use and works generally well for what it is, but it is basically the same OS from 2007. Enough with the brand loyalty call it like it is. I have no loyalty to any company if something is better I'll try it. I've had a Samsung gs3 for a week and I can say it's a breath of fresh air, and has a few innovative features. I hope iOS7 can do better...

PhoneI
Jun 11, 2012, 07:39 PM
I haven't posted on here forever, but felt compelled to do so after watching today's keynote. I have had every iphone (except the 3g) since it's debut and yes iO6 is disappointing and underwhelming. There is zero innovation here, nothing that isn't on android or wp7. Yes iOS is easy to use and works generally well for what it is, but it is basically the same OS from 2007. Enough with the brand loyalty call it like it is. I have no loyalty to any company if something is better I'll try it. I've had a Samsung gs3 for a week and I can say it's a breath of fresh air, and has a few innovative features. I hope iOS7 can do better...

Can you give me an example of why the Samsung is a "breath of fresh air"?

Every time I try to go android for a few weeks I come running back to ioS.

clukas
Jun 11, 2012, 07:42 PM
actually apple has started tweaking the ui, see the images in the link.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/11/hands-on-with-the-all-new-ios-6-beta-including-apples-new-maps-and-revamped-stores/

yes its not an overhaul but a good start.

nfl46
you mean shiny long a** iphone 5 -.-

Lol, I'll take it. :)

cpuguy18
i wasn't disappointed i didn't have any expectations for iOS 6 at all. Its just apple being apple.

Sixtyin3
Jun 11, 2012, 07:43 PM
Same old dusty UI as in the original 2007 iPhone? Yes it's underwhelming.

You know, this is exactly what I was thinking. With the exception of folders (iOS5), the homescreen really hasn't changed much. Even with a 4" iPhone all but guaranteed for the end of the year, me, personally, I don't think I'll be rejoining iOS right away (I just sold my 4S for the Evo LTE).

I think apps are built better for iOS, but the general feel of the OS to me feels a little dated. While Android at times can seem very busy (if you let get that way), iOS just doesn't have that personalization that Android has. I think the whole thing really needs a revamp. I'd settle for active icons on the homescreen that changed based on the status of the app if Apple didn't want to give us full blown widgets. Somethings gotta give sooner or later. Then again, OS X looks pretty similar to the last few releases as well but I'm still posting this from my MBP right now.

Matters30
Jun 11, 2012, 07:54 PM
Can you give me an example of why the Samsung is a "breath of fresh air"?

Every time I try to go android for a few weeks I come running back to ioS.

Ok, I previously had three different android devices ( Droid Inc, Htc My Touch4g, Nexus s) and did the same thing as you did, got tired of the crashing ect and went back to iphone. Granted I stayed with each phone longer than a few weeks except the the nexus s, but those were all gingerbread phones and had many weaknesses. When I say a breath of fresh air I mean in customization, simple choices like changing the keyboard or being able to use a different browser to open things to name a few. ICS is very very good and dare I say touchwiz is also very good and will be staying on the phone for me. I bought a 4s a few months ago because my 4 was getting quite slow, and then tried the SG3 I can finally say that an android device is as smooth and fast or a bit faster than an iphone.

----------

Also all the little gimmicks like smart stay and the various sensor things are kinda cool.

theonekcrow
Jun 11, 2012, 07:57 PM
I was pretty underwhelmed... The next iPhone better be awesome though, or Apple may lose its edge very quickly.

CrzyCanuck72
Jun 11, 2012, 08:10 PM
Yeah, it's underwhelming. I don't see any reason to update my iPhone 4, when the majority of these features are available in Cydia (attach photos directly from Mail, don't close out of App Store when downloading etc.). Apple still hasn't addressed its notification issue (status bar icons would be a start) or its lock screen (so much wasted real estate).

OnYourKnees
Jun 11, 2012, 08:24 PM
Galaxy S3 will be the Phone to use over the summer........................

I have to agree with this. I love my 4S. And new maps are long past due. But Ill roll the S3 for LTE for a while and see what the next iPhone looks like. The same old interface is a dealbreaker for me. And if I have to look at one more leather wrapped app Im going to puke. But I will take a heaping helping of the Macbook Pro pie please.

Kavier
Jun 11, 2012, 08:27 PM
I, for one, don't plan on ever switching to Android (in the foreseeable future, at least) so yes, this is a huge and welcomed feature for most.

Same here! I am not a fan of the Android interface so Maps was def a plus for me.

oBMTo
Jun 11, 2012, 08:40 PM
So glad Apple moved from a wall of apps to a wall of apps.

PhoneI
Jun 11, 2012, 08:40 PM
Ok, I previously had three different android devices ( Droid Inc, Htc My Touch4g, Nexus s) and did the same thing as you did, got tired of the crashing ect and went back to iphone. Granted I stayed with each phone longer than a few weeks except the the nexus s, but those were all gingerbread phones and had many weaknesses. When I say a breath of fresh air I mean in customization, simple choices like changing the keyboard or being able to use a different browser to open things to name a few. ICS is very very good and dare I say touchwiz is also very good and will be staying on the phone for me. I bought a 4s a few months ago because my 4 was getting quite slow, and then tried the SG3 I can finally say that an android device is as smooth and fast or a bit faster than an iphone.

----------

Also all the little gimmicks like smart stay and the various sensor things are kinda cool.

Ok, a logical answer. I thank you for that. When I tried Android, I didn't care about alternate keyboards, and found mobile safari to be far superior to any android browser.

As for customization, I can see that might be important to some, but I certainly would never sacrifice OS stability and speed, ecosystem, and app availability so my wallpaper can ripple like water.

bigsexyy81
Jun 11, 2012, 08:41 PM
So glad Apple moved from a wall of apps to a wall of apps.
Snicker snicker.

;)

oBMTo
Jun 11, 2012, 08:43 PM

Apple has no reason to innovate as long as it has its Apple lemmings.

nuckinfutz
Jun 11, 2012, 08:48 PM
iOS6 is a BS release, it seems Apple is afraid to give the 5 year old OS a real overhaul. Yes it has features added, but facebook integration? iMaps? Do not disturb? What about a graphical overhaul? How many times faster is the GPU in the 4S compared with the original, yet we are left with essentially the same interface after 5 years. Is it any wonder that people are wooed by the Galaxy S3? Expected more from Apple, simply bolting on little pieces doesn't impress.

Because no one but geeks are complaining about the UI. The only people that have had the same UI for 5 years were the geeks that bought the first gen phone.

NEWSFLASH folks. Some people are just now getting acquainted to the iPhone and everything is new to them.

Rogifan
Jun 11, 2012, 08:49 PM
I was hoping for widgets and better features in the mail app. Like how about when deleting emails having the ability to select all messages rather than having to select them by one. That's a real pain. Honestly I didn't see anything mind blowing. Turn by turn navigation. Yeah I'm glad th iPhone is getting it, but geez I has that in my crappy Android phone 2 years ago. And Facebook integration too is something thy could have had in iOS years ago. All in all a bit meh for me.

Matters30
Jun 11, 2012, 08:53 PM
Ok, a logical answer. I thank you for that. When I tried Android, I didn't care about alternate keyboards, and found mobile safari to be far superior to any android browser.

As for customization, I can see that might be important to some, but I certainly would never sacrifice OS stability and speed, ecosystem, and app availability so my wallpaper can ripple like water.

Lol about the live wallpaper, as far as browsers go I would have said the same thing before using the stock SG3 browser. It fast stable and if you care (flash is dying) just as fast with flash enabled. I don't know if its the new Exynos processor but the phone just flies. I will say as far as the android marketplace has come apple's is much more complete and clean. But I'm yet to find an app I used on my iphone that I can't find in the android store.

Rogifan
Jun 11, 2012, 08:55 PM
Oh and Apple I really wish you would get rid of the crappy skeuomorphic design language. That's one redesign of iOS I'd Like to see. :(

PhoneI
Jun 11, 2012, 08:58 PM
Lol about the live wallpaper, as far as browsers go I would have said the same thing before using the stock SG3 browser. It fast stable and if you care (flash is dying) just as fast with flash enabled. I don't know if its the new Exynos processor but the phone just flies. I will say as far as the android marketplace has come apple's is much more complete and clean. But I'm yet to find an app I used on my iphone that I can't find in the android store.

The reason I do not like android browsers is the way Android handles pinch to zoom. It just doesn't feel as good as mobile safari.

I also use plenty of apps that are not available for Android.

joshwithachance
Jun 11, 2012, 08:59 PM
It was the most pathetic iOS update yet. The entire conference was lackluster too. Mountain Lion is underwhelming, the new MacBook Pro is overpriced, and iOS 6 is iOS 5 with a couple new Apple made apps. Seriously, what a fail.

baller1308
Jun 11, 2012, 09:09 PM
OMG, this and that should have been in iOS iteration insert number here. I think people are expecting too much from Apple and/or wanting something new everytime. Some new products, minor updates/upgrades, previews of software.

rorschach
Jun 11, 2012, 09:20 PM
Well, I guess we can add this iOS 6 thread to the list of annual "worst iOS update ever" threads.

I Feel Substantially Underwhelmed by iOS 5 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1167225)
Negative Reactions to iPhone OS 4.0 / New Features (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=892376)
Kind of underwhelmed with 3.0 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=724447)
iPhone Firmware 2.0: It's just a disaster (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=523746)

oBMTo
Jun 11, 2012, 09:26 PM
Well, I guess we can add this iOS 6 thread to the list of annual "worst iOS update ever" threads.

I Feel Substantially Underwhelmed by iOS 5 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1167225)
Negative Reactions to iPhone OS 4.0 / New Features (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=892376)
Kind of underwhelmed with 3.0 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=724447)
iPhone Firmware 2.0: It's just a disaster (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=523746)

2.0 Wall of Apps
3.0 Wall of Apps
4.0 Wall of Apps
5.0 Wall of Apps
6.0 Wall of Apps

Geez, I wonder why people are continually disappointed.

rorschach
Jun 11, 2012, 09:30 PM
2.0 Wall of Apps
3.0 Wall of Apps
4.0 Wall of Apps
5.0 Wall of Apps
6.0 Wall of Apps

Geez, I wonder why people are continually disappointed.

There's always complaining because nothing can ever satisfy every single person. Nothing.

GIZBUG
Jun 11, 2012, 09:32 PM

Coming from someone with an Obama Avatar, lol.....

SprSynJn
Jun 11, 2012, 09:33 PM
I think it's still amazing that you have to go into settings to turn wi-fi on and off. It's the little things like that that Android does better.

Honestly, I like iOS a great deal and am fine with 5 being a bigger update than 6. However I still think they could have improved some things and they didn't.

The main thing about that though, is the need to turn it off on Android. There is no need to do so on the iPhone, or iPad. It doesn't drain the battery like it does on Android devices.

What's funny about this kind of reaction is that the 4S had the same reaction. Yet it sold like hotcakes. Goes to show that people who inhabit the Internet do not speak for the general consumer.

mobilehavoc
Jun 11, 2012, 09:35 PM
Have it on my new iPad. The Maps app is as advertised but crashes whenever I try to type anything into the search bar!! Tried resetting and keeps happening. Also the 3D buildings are only in SF and I guess Sydney. I tried NYC and got a flat landscape which is quite disappointing. By the time this comes out, Google will have their updated 3D maps out and Apple will be playing from behind again. A shame.\

http://p.twimg.com/AvJAhsSCAAArpEC.jpg:large

https://img.skitch.com/20120612-knegtgtmww19384dcjbfhjtii2.jpg

irDigital0l
Jun 11, 2012, 09:36 PM
Have it on my new iPad. The Maps app is as advertised but crashes whenever I try to type anything into the search bar!! Tried resetting and keeps happening

i think its because its the beta...

rorschach
Jun 11, 2012, 09:40 PM
Coming from someone with an Obama Avatar, lol.....

Yep. :)

blackhand1001
Jun 11, 2012, 09:43 PM

Thats the ics browser. Its smooth on the nexus too.

dsa1971
Jun 11, 2012, 09:43 PM
God I just checked, too.

I can't believe it. 6 years to attach from the mail app and its still only photos and video. How do people justify this? Is it a religious movement where listening to the underdog of the PC industry is considered a holy sacrament?

Nope. It's just not THAT important on a smartphone IMO.

Dmunjal
Jun 11, 2012, 09:44 PM
I was hoping for widgets and better features in the mail app. Like how about when deleting emails having the ability to select all messages rather than having to select them by one. That's a real pain. Honestly I didn't see anything mind blowing. Turn by turn navigation. Yeah I'm glad th iPhone is getting it, but geez I has that in my crappy Android phone 2 years ago. And Facebook integration too is something thy could have had in iOS years ago. All in all a bit meh for me.

Can you do offline email? Meaning read, delete, reply, etc without an Internet connection and then have it sync back up when you're back online?

sixteen12
Jun 11, 2012, 09:44 PM
The main thing about that though, is the need to turn it off on Android. There is no need to do so on the iPhone, or iPad. It doesn't drain the battery like it does on Android devices.

leaving wifi and Bluetooth on on my 4s results in maybe 2% extra per hour. On my GS2 it'll kill the battery by lunch. I assume iOS realizes its not being used and makes it dormant whereas android constantly uses the antenna to search.

SprSynJn
Jun 11, 2012, 09:45 PM
By the time this comes out, Google will have their updated 3D maps out and Apple will be playing from behind again. A shame.

And it'll be available on...what...7% of Android devices?

Dmunjal
Jun 11, 2012, 09:48 PM
Nope. It's just not THAT important on a smartphone IMO.

I'd love to see it on my iPad then!

jkim3691
Jun 11, 2012, 09:51 PM

What's funny about this kind of reaction is that the 4S had the same reaction. Yet it sold like hotcakes. Goes to show that people who inhabit the Internet do not speak for the general consumer.

I'm really sorry, I'm usually not this blunt but that was the dumbest thing I've ever heard in regards to Wi-fi widgets. If you could save battery life, why wouldn't you? Definitely sounds like you're just covering up for Apple still not including this feature. I would have jailbroke my phone just for the widgets in Notification Center let alone to change the terrible eyesore they call an OS.

Again, they failed to change the way the interface looks. Disappointed. Only high was the turn by turn directions which is still something that should have been included from the get-go.

Voxone
Jun 11, 2012, 09:59 PM
I'm still waiting to be able to print on any WiFi connected printer, not just a few H/P models. I was SO hoping that would be included.

SprSynJn
Jun 11, 2012, 10:00 PM
I'm really sorry, I'm usually not this blunt but that was the dumbest thing I've ever heard in regards to Wi-fi widgets. If you could save battery life, why wouldn't you? Definitely sounds like you're just covering up for Apple still not including this feature. I would have jailbroke my phone just for the widgets in Notification Center let alone to change the terrible eyesore they call an OS.

You're forgiven for the blunt statement, but not for the poor reading skills you exhibited. If you read it again, you will see that I said leaving on the wifi does not drain the battery. Which means there is no need to turn it off. Which in turn means there is no need to add a widget for it. Does that explanation help?

Cabron
Jun 11, 2012, 10:07 PM
Siri for ipad is just one of the MOST LAZY work i have seen apple done

Better word to describle official sii for ipads: lazy port :mad:
The jailbreak version of spire getting more detailed than this port, no f* offense

PhoneI
Jun 11, 2012, 11:30 PM
It was the most pathetic iOS update yet. The entire conference was lackluster too. Mountain Lion is underwhelming, the new MacBook Pro is overpriced, and iOS 6 is iOS 5 with a couple new Apple made apps. Seriously, what a fail.

The new Macbook is overpriced? Show me another laptop with the resolution of the new Macbook and then we shall talk.

----------

leaving wifi and Bluetooth on on my 4s results in maybe 2% extra per hour. On my GS2 it'll kill the battery by lunch. I assume iOS realizes its not being used and makes it dormant whereas android constantly uses the antenna to search.

Every year I purchase a new iPhone. I immediately turn on Wifi and bluetooth and never think about it again.

----------

Again, they failed to change the way the interface looks.

Since I like the way the interface looks and works, I am happy. No need for battery killing, useless widgets. No need for "live tiles" (take a look at the awful windows 8).

russgold
Jun 11, 2012, 11:36 PM

Again, they failed to change the way the interface looks. Disappointed. Only high was the turn by turn directions which is still something that should have been included from the get-go.

IMO in Settings Wifi and Bluetooth should be a toggle on/off - clicking the word should open the configuration.

crushvic
Jun 12, 2012, 12:01 AM
this is awesome, ios6 is a really big update .... i love apple.... now you can compete very well with android 2.2 FROYO :rolleyes:..
suck that android fan you cannot catch us you are 4 years behind
when the iphone 5 is release the galaxy y /mini and other android mid range device will be put in shame.

matttye
Jun 12, 2012, 12:51 AM
That's gross!!!!

Luckily I don't stare at those screens for hours on end. It only takes a few seconds to attach a file to an email.

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 12:52 AM
i wasn't disappointed i didn't have any expectations for iOS 6 at all. Its just apple being apple.
Indeed.

lupinglade
Jun 12, 2012, 01:05 AM
Yeah awful update, should be iOS 5.2

crushvic
Jun 12, 2012, 01:10 AM
Was the ios6 update made to compete against Eclair or Froyo??

macbook pro i5
Jun 12, 2012, 01:21 AM
I have no plans to move to android,so I love the new feature of iOS 6.

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 01:25 AM
Yeah awful update, should be iOS 5.2
I would say iOS 5.5. This didn't warrant a 6 at all.

mrsir2009
Jun 12, 2012, 01:41 AM
With the way iOS is designed, I don't expect amazing revolutionary redesigns like I do in OSX, I just expect features added, and stability increases. This fits that. Adding more and more as people request.

What, like Mountain Lion? :rolleyes:

unobtainium
Jun 12, 2012, 01:53 AM
I'm a little concerned that Maps is still so far behind. Yes, I know this is a beta, but this thing is a just few short months away from a release and the amount of satellite and 3D imagery is very paltry. Transit directions are nonexistent (and apparently won't be added...Apple's inadequate solution is "third party apps"). Overall, Maps is the biggest addition to iOS 6 and its a huge letdown so far...with time running out. What have they been doing over the past couple years since acquiring those mapping companies?

dontwalkhand
Jun 12, 2012, 02:05 AM
I'm still waiting to be able to print on any WiFi connected printer, not just a few H/P models. I was SO hoping that would be included.

I don't want 8GB taken up by printer drivers on my phone. Look at how much printer drivers take up on OS X.

If anything thank heavens for AirPrint as it even allows for driverless Mac printing..through Bonjour! Why should each printer have 300mb of bloat ware driver anyway?

Hastings101
Jun 12, 2012, 02:13 AM
What, like Mountain Lion? :rolleyes:

Mountain Lion IS revolutionary. Notifications and a unified search bar in Safari are going to change the way we look at the world. Just you wait and see.

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 02:17 AM
Mountain Lion IS revolutionary. Notifications and a unified search bar in Safari are going to change the way we look at the world. Just you wait and see.
I just wish iOS actually were powerful like desktop OSX but Apple keeps doling out the features drop by drop.

B777Forevar
Jun 12, 2012, 02:20 AM
lol mail attachments, my blackberry from 2006 could do that.

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 02:37 AM
You should be thankful that you can finally use a decade old feature on your iPhone!

(seriously, Symbian could do that before Blackberry did)

Technarchy
Jun 12, 2012, 02:50 AM

Wow, that's really advanced. I guess that explains why Blackberry outsells Apple 10 to 1.

Henry Li
Jun 12, 2012, 02:57 AM
Ya. It's really a stupid joke. I don't know why they dare to make them as the selling points for a major iOS update. They are just shameless.

kuul007
Jun 12, 2012, 02:59 AM
link to new iPhone 4S iOS

https://rapidshare.com/files/3834876267/iPhone4_1_6.0_10A5316k_Restore.ipsw

of course you need a developer's account

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 03:00 AM
Wow, that's really advanced. I guess that explains why Blackberry outsells Apple 10 to 1.
You'd have a point if Apple had the market lead right now but it doesn't. More people are using Android phones than iPhones.

Funny how Apple users brush off the sales figures that Android has saying that sales dont matter but don't have a problem telling BB users that they outsell them. :rolleyes:

rmeadejr
Jun 12, 2012, 03:08 AM
Come on everyone....but we have nice new emoji's. that is what I was waiting for...lol

Technarchy
Jun 12, 2012, 03:12 AM
You'd have a point if Apple had the market lead right now but it doesn't. More people are using Android phones than iPhones.

Funny how Apple users brush off the sales figures that Android has saying that sales dont matter but don't have a problem telling BB users that they outsell them. :rolleyes:

Android doesn't make any money, and food stamps can't pay for apps, so who cares about how many 99 cents Virgin mobile specials in 3rd world nations are sold. That's androids core market and it shows where it counts.

Apple...24% global share = 75% of mobile profits.
Android...makes about as much of a meth whore, while Google makes more off of iOS.

Android is a joke. Even worse, android users don't realize the joke is on them until they have to wait a year for updates, or pray for some half assed ROM made by a person who works at Sears during the day.

Cod3rror
Jun 12, 2012, 03:13 AM
I like Apple, but I have to say I'm really underwhelmed by iOS 6 update. I wasn't

At the risk of being vote down into an oblivion I have to say that Apple are getting too stale, too comfortable and too complacent.

iOS 6 feels more like iOS 5.5 at best. With iOS 5 they had an excuse they were working on iCloud, iMessage, big projects and they still delivered a very decent update. This time they had all the time to really make some changes and they didn't do much at all.

New Maps? Nice but here's the thing, only 4S and iPad 2012 users get navigation and 3D maps, the rest get only the maps, plus we all lose Google Streetview, and Google's transit, which are very handy features. So 3GS and 4 users actually get less than they have now.

Additionally 3D maps are limited to certain cities, and the navigation itself isn't very impressive, can it quickly re-route you if you miss a turn? Can you use it offline?

And I don't really like how Apple's tiles look, Google's look better IMO.

It still remains to be seen how their POI database turns out.

Passbook - Again, there are many keyring apps in the Appstore, plus the success of Passbook depends on the adoption of it by companies, which takes years.

Facebook? - Absolutely useless to me.

All the other changes are welcome but there are very few of them and there are no surprises.

Finally the UI, it's a mess now! It seems they replaced black menus with silver ones(Music) and silver ones with black ones(Camera), what was the point of that? Some menus are glossy, some are matte, they've made the UI very inconsistent, it feels like they were playing around with ideas and abandoned it in the middle and released it as is, unfinished, the new dial pad looks bad. I'll say though, that I like the new sound and seek levers, they do look better than the old ones.

Here's some things I wanted:

Why isn't iOS Safari getting a unified address bar like in Lion?
Why isn't the Private switch still not integrated into Safari itself?
Why hasn't the YouTube app been updated? It's useless.
What about SBSettings and opening up Notification Center for third party widgets?
How about Live icons?
Why not integrate Spotlight search into the Notification Center?
Prevent shut down when the phone is locked?
Can you drop more than one pin on the map and route between them now?
Pull down to refresh in the Mail app? Great! What about Safari?
More camera settings? If you look at Android phones, their cameras have TONS of options and settings, iOS' is still very basic.

As somebody here said, it seems like Apple is turning iOS into a platform to sell you things, teaming up with random corporations and offering you services to buy and in return to sell you to those companies, instead of thinking about the users and their needs.

MattInOz
Jun 12, 2012, 03:15 AM
Someone on the Internet doesn't like something? I'm shocked. Seriously though, someone says this about every release of everything.

Angry people have replaced porn as the google first result on almost all searches these days.

Jedii
Jun 12, 2012, 03:18 AM
Very disappointing, more enhancements than 'magical new apps'.

Had iPhone since they were released, and i've always loved it, have an iPad, but i think proves the stagnancy.

Dannydekr
Jun 12, 2012, 03:18 AM
Well, I have some mixed feelings. The map application doesn't look polished at all. The 3D view is useless and even ugly. The hybrid view is also ugly compared to Google maps. Also, the maps are less detailed. But the features like turn-navigation is pretty great.

The OS could be a little more polished to my opinion. There needs to be a consistent style throughout iOS. Now they changed the AppStore layout, with it's own style, which doesn't fit in the rest of the OS. This is pretty horrible and can become a big problem in the future if Apple doesn't get their act together.

blinkin182
Jun 12, 2012, 03:19 AM

Actually, it seems like the integration is pretty deep (especially in regards to how it is now implemented in the different stores). I think this might offer better app discoverability and the ability to recommend / see recommendation from friends will be a useful feature IMHO.
However, if you hate/dislike Facebook, I can see that you would be disappointed with this.

I think ANY new iOS version will always disappoint as it has been some time that expectations keep being set way high.

I can personally see some things that I wished could have been included, but overall it seems like a good upgrade that I am looking forward to.

Is there room for improvement? you bet! And there will always likely be...

Are there other ways to get some of these features that weren't included in this release? Most likely in the jailbreak community or by buying apps that add some features. Or even by switching to another platform. The choice is there...

aluren
Jun 12, 2012, 03:20 AM
This is a free update... Stop complaining. :)

Cod3rror
Jun 12, 2012, 03:25 AM

Just because it's free doesn't mean we can't voice our opinion.

Saladinos
Jun 12, 2012, 03:28 AM
It's true that there wasn't really a "tentpole" feature as Steve would have said.

iOS 5 had iCloud
iOS 4 had multitasking
iOS 3 had copy, paste and lots of fixes
iOS 2 had the AppStore

iOS 6 has maps and some small tweaks.

Developers were looking for a way to share data between apps. Users have been asking for widgets of some kind for ages, or at least some glanceable info from the lock screen about the app (more than an irritating badge).

Passbook makes me think NFC could be in the next iPhone, though. That could be big.

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 03:45 AM
Lol now we're not allowed to complain simply because Apple didn't charge $4.99 for it?

Cod3rror
Jun 12, 2012, 03:46 AM
It's true that there wasn't really a "tentpole" feature as Steve would have said.

iOS 5 had iCloud
iOS 4 had multitasking
iOS 3 had copy, paste and lots of fixes
iOS 2 had the AppStore

iOS 6 has maps and some small tweaks.

Developers were looking for a way to share data between apps. Users have been asking for widgets of some kind for ages, or at least some glanceable info from the lock screen about the app (more than an irritating badge).

Passbook makes me think NFC could be in the next iPhone, though. That could be big.

iOS 5 had iCloud, iMessage, Notifications, Wi-Fi Sync, PC Free, Airplay Mirroring, Editing in Photos, OTA updates, built in dictionary, plus lots of other small tweaks.

iOS 4 had Multitasking, Folders, Wallpapers, GameCenter, New Homescreen dock background, Unified inboxes in Mail, plus more useful tweaks.

B777Forevar
Jun 12, 2012, 03:48 AM

And iOS must be so ahead of its time that it took em til 2009 to have copy & paste and 2010 just to have a half baked notification center.

Don't get me wrong I love my iPhone and iPad. More so than than the Android products I own. I think Apple makes quality hardware, but such quality hardware should have a awesome OS to go along with it. iOS was "revolutionary" back in 2007/8 but now its pretty stale. Thank goodness for the jail breaking community otherwise I would have completely tossed out my iPhone a long time ago.

TLewis
Jun 12, 2012, 03:57 AM
New Maps? Nice but here's the thing, only 4S and iPad 2012 users get navigation and 3D maps, the rest get only the maps, plus we all lose Google Streetview, and Google's transit, which are very handy features. So 3GS and 4 users actually get less than they have now.
Agreed. I think streetview is 100X more useful than 3D maps, which I think is mainly a marketing "oooh, pretty, shiny" feature to pimp to NEW users. I think it's of questionable use to most existing users.

Another big concern of mine is that openstreetmap is somehow used in the new maps (http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/11/3078987/apple-tomtom-openstreemap-ios-6-maps-app). I really, REALLY hope it's not used for the US maps, as the US openstreetmap data leaves a lot to be desired. In my (US) area, the openstreetmap data is missing 10+-year old streets, which raises reliability issues: if my area is wrong, it's likely wrong in a lot of other areas, too. Yes, I know that I can edit the data, but that isn't the point: that doesn't change the reliability of map data in unfamiliar areas.

----------

Lol now we're not allowed to complain simply because Apple didn't charge $4.99 for it?
Don't let the haters get you down. :cool:

I've been with iOS since the very first iPhone, and iOS6 is the first release that I really don't care about. If I get it, great. If I don't get it, great. (Actually, I'm a bit surprised that I'm not actually hating it, as it's taking away streetview, which is important to me.)

buckers
Jun 12, 2012, 04:03 AM

*Sorry for off-topic

There was a Safari omnibar showed off in the Keynote. But, yeah. I'm surprised that with the new Notification Centre, Macs still don't have a "lock-screen", with notifications that show up on it. Even Windows is introducing this feature.

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 04:04 AM
I've been with iOS since the very first iPhone, and iOS6 is the first release that I really don't care about. (Actually, I'm a bit surprised that I'm not actually hating it, as it's taking away streetview, which is important to me.)
Honestly I don't see what 55% of the poll takers think is satisfying about this release. Apple lost what little momentum they had today. Usually everybody wants to upgrade but this year a lot of people are saying "hmmm I don't need that beta right now..."

TLewis
Jun 12, 2012, 04:12 AM
Honestly I don't see what 55% of the poll takers think is satisfying about this release. Apple lost what little momentum they had today. Usually everybody wants to upgrade but this year a lot of people are saying "hmmm I don't need that beta right now..."
Well, I can see how some of the features are useful for some users:

Siri sports appears to be great if you're a sports fan.
passbook might be great if you're a frequent traveler.

However, for me, iOS6 is just a big bowlful of "meh". Personally, I don't care if I get it or not, but I'll upgrade for compatibility reasons.

Still, even though I think iOS6 is a disappontment, I'll still upgrade to the next iPhone this fall. I'm still on an old 3GS, and I'm getting tired of charging the battery a couple times a day.

sim667
Jun 12, 2012, 04:20 AM
SRSLY do people use siri? I'd feel such an idiot talking to my phone.

My iphone 4 has enough voice commands to put music on and make calls in the car, that does me fine.

Saladinos
Jun 12, 2012, 04:25 AM
And iOS must be so ahead of its time that it took em til 2009 to have copy & paste and 2010 just to have a half baked notification center.

Don't get me wrong I love my iPhone and iPad. More so than than the Android products I own. I think Apple makes quality hardware, but such quality hardware should have a awesome OS to go along with it. iOS was "revolutionary" back in 2007/8 but now its pretty stale. Thank goodness for the jail breaking community otherwise I would have completely tossed out my iPhone a long time ago.

That said, Apples copy&paste implementation is by far the best. I own a galaxy nexus, and copy and paste is a nightmare on it.

Push notifications on iOS are also much better. On android, different apps like whatsapp and words with friends run their own background services to listen for new data. On iOS all background notifications are channelled through one connection to apples push service.

crushvic
Jun 12, 2012, 04:29 AM
is Apple starts using TomTom maps now? they drop google for TomTom maps?

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 04:37 AM
That said, Apples copy&paste implementation is by far the best. I own a galaxy nexus, and copy and paste is a nightmare on it.

Push notifications on iOS are also much better. On android, different apps like whatsapp and words with friends run their own background services to listen for new data. On iOS all background notifications are channelled through one connection to apples push service.
How is copypaste a nightmare? I recently got a Nexus and its fine.

The push notifications on Android probably do take more battery life though, I'll give you that. However, with the custom kernels out there, I get the same kind of battery life on my Nexus as people do with their 4S.

VPrime
Jun 12, 2012, 04:56 AM
My thought on the update...
iOS 6 ( and quite a few past updates)is a "catch up" up date... but what's wrong with that?

Most of us have chosen iPhones over other phones knowing that they lack certain features.. We like the hardware design, engineering and quality.. And just enjoy the little touches apple adds to its products (software and hardware).

Personally, I really like some of the features android has.. I often wish I had them on my phone...
Reason why I don't get an android phone is because of various reasons.

So when apple release an update to catch up with other phones, that is fine with me!

Sure it is not huge step forward in inovation, but it is the step in the right direction and one that needs to be taken with the operating system.

The next iPhone will probably have that one killer software feature which really sells ios6. That will probably be something new and exciting to the world.

The os may not fit your needs, and your standards.. Thats fine too! you can just use one of the many many other phones and operating systems out there.
You're not forced to use an iPhone, or any apple product.
If it never did what you originally required you never would have bought an iphone.. If your needs changed over time but the phone didn't adapt (update) then just move on to the next device/tool.. No need to be attached to a brand.. If it stinks try something else, complaining about it on a webforum will do little good. Trying to convince the millions of happy iphone (or android, or windows phone) users will not accomplish anything.

Just my 2 cents....

Cod3rror
Jun 12, 2012, 05:08 AM
My thought on the update...
iOS 6 ( and quite a few past updates)is a "catch up" up date... but what's wrong with that?

It doesn't catch up.

Fireblade
Jun 12, 2012, 05:43 AM
Was the ios6 update made to compete against Eclair or Froyo??
YMMD:D

So true.

sk1wbw
Jun 12, 2012, 06:18 AM
I've been using an iPhone since the day the 3G came out. I swear, every release of an iOS update people say the thing. You just simply can not please everyone.

edddeduck
Jun 12, 2012, 06:27 AM

I can and I will :)

iOS6 has some nice new features and more polish to the ones that already exist (this second bit is important). I'l take that over some "new feature" that is added just so some people can comment on the new shiny feature set.

What I am saying is "it sucks I was not impressed" lets break down your comments on the new features.

OK so that is one new feature you like.

OK minor feature but kinda useful for the average user.

Personal opinions on FB aside (and am undecided myself) with 100's of millions of users a LOT of people will like this feature.

I nice improvement to the already shipping system

Personal assumptions aside I can see the opposite being true, anyway it has potential to be really big and the start of things like RFID payment, bus tickets etc.

You complain it should have happened earlier so this is big improvement in the OS not a small one right? Surely that makes iOS6 update a good one as we are finally getting the feature?

p.s. I think this was done at the request of the phone companies not an Apple decision. Looks like Apple perhaps have improved the bandwidth on FaceTime so phone companies are OK to turn it on now?

As above, a very useful new addition, who cares if it should have been in earlier it's in now so that should be a reason iOS6 is a GOOD upgrade not a disappointment?

Again as above surely this makes iOS6 a good release as this is a really useful feature.

A little cynical? It's a good evolution of what we had before and uses all the new features of the OS to make Safari faster.

Again a really useful feature, you say it should have been in earlier which might be true. However that is another point for iOS6 being a good update.

In summary when you look at the points in detail this update is actually pretty good, it has a few major features and lots of very nice and overdue improvements to the entire OS.

Overall I think it is looking like to your average user iOS6 will be a very noticeable improvement over iOS5 once it ships.

Edwin

Rogifan
Jun 12, 2012, 06:52 AM
Well, I have some mixed feelings. The map application doesn't look polished at all. The 3D view is useless and even ugly. The hybrid view is also ugly compared to Google maps. Also, the maps are less detailed. But the features like turn-navigation is pretty great.

The OS could be a little more polished to my opinion. There needs to be a consistent style throughout iOS. Now they changed the AppStore layout, with it's own style, which doesn't fit in the rest of the OS. This is pretty horrible and can become a big problem in the future if Apple doesn't get their act together.

I still don't get how Apple can be so polished and unified across all their hardware but not their software. I hate to say it but Windows mobile software looks more appealing to me than iOS. :(

thewitt
Jun 12, 2012, 06:54 AM
You can't get thru to this Calinut Edwin. He's just an Android troll now trying to justify his switching away from iOS. Oh how I wish Tapatalk had an ignore poster option...

thewitt
Jun 12, 2012, 06:55 AM
I still don't get how Apple can be so polished and unified across all their hardware but not their software. I hate to say it but Windows mobile software looks more appealing to me than iOS. :(

So switch phones. No one here will care.

Rogifan
Jun 12, 2012, 07:01 AM
Can you do offline email? Meaning read, delete, reply, etc without an Internet connection and then have it sync back up when you're back online?

I suppose I could. But I'd really love a select all box I could check when I want to delete everything left in my inbox. I suppose I can do that from iCloud on my laptop but I usually deal with email on my iPad.

----------

The new Macbook is overpriced? Show me another laptop with the resolution of the new Macbook and then we shall talk.

----------

Every year I purchase a new iPhone. I immediately turn on Wifi and bluetooth and never think about it again.

----------

Since I like the way the interface looks and works, I am happy. No need for battery killing, useless widgets. No need for "live tiles" (take a look at the awful windows 8).
Who decides whether widgets are useless? Or are they useless just because Apple has decided not to use them? I wish Apple would explain why they're against widgets.

Technarchy
Jun 12, 2012, 07:10 AM
I've been using an iPhone since the day the 3G came out. I swear, every release of an iOS update people say the thing. You just simply can not please everyone.

Apple has a long history of not listening to "people".

People are generally stupid, so that makes sense.

If they listened to people, the iPhone would have been a Blackberry clone...kinda like how android started.

If people knew what they were talking about, there would be no iPad either...

nfl46
Jun 12, 2012, 07:30 AM
As I stated months, map was the big feature.

And it's not all about software this year for apple, it's hardware.

MacBook Pro and the iPhone are getting redesigned. iOS 7 may be a bigger upgrade since the iPhone will probably be a minor update next year.

edddeduck
Jun 12, 2012, 07:33 AM
I suppose I could. But I'd really love a select all box I could check when I want to delete everything left in my inbox. I suppose I can do that from iCloud on my laptop but I usually deal with email on my iPad.

You can do this in iOS5 right now just use the "Edit" button in the top right of the Inbox screen. It allows you to bulk delete, move, Mark as Read etc.

Edwin

Rogifan
Jun 12, 2012, 07:36 AM
So switch phones. No one here will care.
Obviously you cared enough to respond to my post. :p

----------

You can do this in iOS5 right now just use the "Edit" button in the top right of the Inbox screen. It allows you to bulk delete, move, Mark as Read etc.

Edwin
I know you can bulk delete but don't you have to select each message individually that you want to delete? A select all button would be nice.

edddeduck
Jun 12, 2012, 07:37 AM

Edwin

My bad you can select them but no "Select All" button :(

Sorry about that!

Edwin

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 08:56 AM
I dunno if I'd go that far...

psxp
Jun 12, 2012, 09:29 AM
I was disappointed as well.. :(

And if The New iPhone hardware is like what has been leaked this is not a big deal update in my eyes. ho hum.

thewitt
Jun 12, 2012, 09:34 AM
Obviously you cared enough to respond to my post.

just to say farewell...

Raid
Jun 12, 2012, 10:07 AM
I was just trying to tell that people don't have irrational expectations about iOS. And I was just trying to say there's no magical update that is going solve all the wants users have in one go.

Could iOS be better? Probably. Is this an improvement on the old iOS? Yes. Is it 'worthy' of a new full version name? To be honest, I could care less, and only after experimenting with iOS6 would I ever offer an opinion on that.

VidPro
Jun 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
It's no disappointment as I see it. Nor is it exciting. It's just Apple.

They've got the formula for monetary pay back all sorted out, and use it to their advantage. That's quite an accomplishment.

It's still boring to me whether they know how to make money or not.

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 10:43 AM
And I was just trying to say there's no magical update that is going solve all the wants users have in one go.
Could you strawman any more?

Nobody is saying there should be a magical update that solves every user's needs in 1 go. I'm saying that Apple should have began with all of the features that smartphones had and then moved towards being able to slowly replace a laptop's functionality.

But no, Apple is STILL catching up with smartphones like Symbian and WM and Blackberry and nowhere near a laptop's functionality other than displaying webpages and reading email and the like.

edddeduck
Jun 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Could you strawman any more?

Nobody is saying there should be a magical update that solves every user's needs in 1 go. I'm saying that Apple should have began with all of the features that smartphones had and then moved towards being able to slowly replace a laptop's functionality.

But no, Apple is STILL catching up with smartphones like Symbian and WM and Blackberry and nowhere near a laptop's functionality other than displaying webpages and reading email and the like.

Apple started the iPhone replicating the basic features of a phone with a touch screen interface and changed how humans interactive with computers, they then started adding in both more features to "replace laptops" (where feasible on a touch device with a smaller screen) and also adding in items phones don't *need* but will add polish to the OS.

You seem to me disappointed and wanting more but you have not yet (if I am incorrect I apologise) said what you actually want from Apple. You just used nebulous things like "replacing a laptop" and "disappointment" stating that the new features are not good ones because 1. someone else has already done them or 2. in your eyes they are late. You also said that a revolutionary OS like iOS should not have been developed like it was. Instead it should not have shipped without any revolutionary (you called them laptop) features until it had all the features other phones might have.

iOS is a mature OS now and the improvements historically have been one (or two) main features and polish to all the other features. This couple of new features plus polish to the previous features is a trend that has worked great so far.

Basically this entire post boils down to this: People seem to jump on the disappointment bandwagon but when you ask what annoyed them about the current iOS the things they list are fixed in the new one and when you say what did you want as a feature that is missing they don't have anything just a nebulous "disappointment".

It would be nice if someone could say iOS 6 is OK but I wish it came with an [add killer feature here], that is what they missed. So far I cannot think of a realistic major and publicly useful feature that was obviously missed.

This is why I would argue the iOS 6 update is not a disappointment unless you expect a seismic shift like when Apple released the phone for the first time. Those kinds of leaps are not a yearly occurrence!

Cheers,

Edwin

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
is Apple starts using TomTom maps now? they drop google for TomTom maps?

TomTom is GPS part, OpenStreetMap is the 3D Map part.

jkim3691
Jun 12, 2012, 11:22 AM
You're forgiven for the blunt statement, but not for the poor reading skills you exhibited. If you read it again, you will see that I said leaving on the wifi does not drain the battery. Which means there is no need to turn it off. Which in turn means there is no need to add a widget for it. Does that explanation help?

So you're saying...leaving wi-fi on...does not drain the battery whatsoever. I find that hard to believe.

VulchR
Jun 12, 2012, 11:41 AM
If this thread isn't a convincing argument for separate subforum for comparing iOS and alternatives I don't know what is: The thread is started by an OP who apparently owns an Android phone, but to be fair the post evokes debate. The discussion begins reasonably, but then the insults start flying, with those enthusiastic about iOS called 'silly fanboys', followed by accusations that they are ignorant, stupid, or follow a cult of personality centered around SJ. Not exactly what I like to experience when I visit a site dedicated to Apple products.

I like the features announced for iOS6. I do not care whether they existed some time previously in Android, RIM etc. Obviously Apple is doing something right given the iPhone's popularity, and this announcement was simply improving a product that performs well already. People buy phones based on the whole package: hardware, software, and service. This is why Apple is doing well and Symbian and RIM are not. IMO iOS6 makes an excellent overall package even better. I guess we'll see how it compares with other mobile OS's when it is finally released in the autumn.

@Callidude: Clearly you are very interested about iOS given the number of posts in this thread. I'm curious - why do you care about iOS6 when you have chosen an Android phone over the iPhone?

lordofthereef
Jun 12, 2012, 11:54 AM
I wholeheartdely agree... this update was a letdown.

To start, none of the "new' features really even need a "new OS". Passbook, maps, etc. could all be downloaded from the appstore by those who want them. I have already seen a ton of people upset that passbook is going to be another item to place in the junk folder. While I certainly see myself using it, I am able to see where these people are coming from. For me, newstand is that way.

With widgets Apple had a chance to do a lot. They didn't do jack. They gave us a link to twitter and facebook for quick post. Seriously? Why can't we add widgets downloadable from the appstore? I use intelliscreen X. As it stands it is better than iOS6 implementation.

Toggles are cool, except that I still need to go into settings (though I suppose I appreciate them not being as buried as they were before). Then of course there is the fact that all we are given is a BT and wifi toggle. Again, seriously? Seems to me an optional widget would be the perfect place to implement this. Again, Intelliscreen X anyone?

Maps seems cool, expcet for the fact that people who currently use the transit feature are left in the cold (hopefully Google gives us a standalone download?). As someone who is going to be using public transport heavily once we move to Boston, that is certainly a big deal.

Siri updates were nice. Frankly I feel like that is what Siri should have launched with to begin with. Months after launch third party devs gave us tweaks to siri that would launch apps for us. The yelp and table reservations website (blanking on name) integration is pretty cool. Aside from that, being that Siri was and still feels half baked on current software I feel we were owed this functionality. I am still curious to see how often Siri tells us "I cannot do that right now". Currently, I hear it far more often than I should.

I said before that I didn't think the 3GS should get this update because I felt Apple would be holding back on what their OS can do in order to support a legacy device. Is that what happened here? Well, I am not sure I would go that far just yet, but it certainly is possible.

amdmaxx
Jun 12, 2012, 11:59 AM
Maps app still lacking public transportation directions!!

Sedrick
Jun 12, 2012, 12:01 PM

Apple continues to polish iOS, so folks who don't ask for much out of their OS are very pleased with iOS6. Passport though? Siri sports reporter? Controls for my autistic child (that I don't have)? Do Not Disturb, for crying out loud? This is the best they have to show?

Turn by turn maps looks good, but that's an app, not the OS and I suspect it will have the same 'beta' stamp and usefulness that Siri has.

What this weak update will do, however, is make the Jailbreak community even stronger and more in demand, since it's obvious Apple is not going to be doing anything exciting (or even very useful) with iOS from now on.

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 12:02 PM
For the love of God, give us settings toggles.

I don't like waiting until 3 hours after I've left my house to realize my battery has drained because I left wifi on.

That is all.

Vader
Jun 12, 2012, 12:17 PM
I am far from disappointed, but I am not as impressed as I was with iOS 5. I am glad Siri is finally growing up, I've been wanting to voice launch my apps for a long time. In the state Siri is currently, I never use it except to get a laugh when with other people. The incorrect interpretation of what I say always makes me have to type what I want myself, and by that time I could have just done whatever it was directly.

The new maps look really nice, hopefully I will be able to delete waze instead of using maps+waze for search and then routing.

boshii
Jun 12, 2012, 01:02 PM
I think it's time for OP to try a different phone. There have been enough iOS releases to know what to expect from the next one. If you consider this a disappointment then there's no pleasing you. Move on.

Sensamic
Jun 12, 2012, 01:14 PM
iOS 5 was so big:

- New better notifications
- iCloud
- Newsstand
- Siri (on the 4S)
- New stuff for editing photos and folders
- Twitter integration
- WIFI syncing and using the phone while it syncs
- Camera shortcut on lockscreen
- Etc

iOS 6 is really a letdown...

robE89
Jun 12, 2012, 01:24 PM
I don`t know if this was said before, but you guys miss something...we never knew about SIRI only when they announced iphone 4s....now they announced maps in june so i bet that they are keeping something under their sleeves on the software part because they always announced something major software change like siri/facetime before an iphone...because it will sell better, so let`s wait and see what they have for us in the fall :)

burnside
Jun 12, 2012, 01:26 PM
iOS 5 was so big:

- New better notifications
- iCloud
- Newsstand
- Siri (on the 4S)
- New stuff for editing photos and folders
- Twitter integration
- WIFI syncing and using the phone while it syncs
- Camera shortcut on lockscreen
- Etc

I feel the same, but remember last year when iOS5 was revealed we did not know about Siri. The same can happen with the next iPhone is released. New apps and features can be unveiled for iOS6. As of right now, I agree, a bit underwhelming.

burnside
Jun 12, 2012, 01:50 PM
iOS6 is a major disappointment. About the only positive of the 10 added items (discussed in the presentation) is maps and I feel like the majority of that is really fluff.

If you really had a need for navigation in the last 3 years you either purchased a car with it built in, a stand alone unit, used an android phone or bought a navigation app on the app store.

3. quickreply to SMS
6. full screen safari
7. updated camera app

+1

Those are pretty much the same thoughts and improvements that I wanted to see. I almost never use maps because my cars have built in GPS, but I realize many people would like to use their phone as their nav device, so I do think the new Maps is a good feature.

adding to your 7 wishes:

8. Allow developers to use the widget area in the notifications. So far I am not hearing this is possible from developers. Apple has this as a feature from iOS5, but still no way for developers to make use of it? Why even have it there at this rate?

9. Tabs for Safari on the iPhone. There is going to be iCloud tabs, but that only syncs tabs from your desktop Safari to your iOS device.

10. Better updates to the mail app. Sparrow has an easier to use interface and even then, more improvements can be made.

nuckinfutz
Jun 12, 2012, 01:59 PM
iOS 5 was so big:

snip

Not if you realize that software is now mirroring the same "Tick Tock" cycle that Intel employes for their CPU micro-architecture.

iOS 5 was a big update ...iOS 6 need to add polish and stabilize things. Then Apple can branch out with iOS 7 and take a larger leap.

It makes sense from many different areas. Throttle back on the features...fix issues and then move forward with a larger leap. Developers and consumer alike should prefer this over "rip and replace" software design.

WordMasterRice
Jun 12, 2012, 02:02 PM
Not if you realize that software is now mirroring the same "Tick Tock" cycle that Intel employes for their CPU micro-architecture.

iOS 5 was a big update ...iOS 6 need to add polish and stabilize things. Then Apple can branch out with iOS 7 and take a larger leap.

It makes sense from many different areas. Throttle back on the features...fix issues and then move forward with a larger leap. Developers and consumer alike should prefer this over "rip and replace" software design.

I disagree when talking about iOS. Apple has done a decent job but from a developers perspective a lot of the stuff over the years has been a "tack on" approach. At some point in the future there are going to need to be API adjustments and redesigns because there is a lot of kludge. Rip and replace is just part of the development cycle and it helps keep everything sanitized.