PDA

View Full Version : Turn-by-Turn and Flyover for 4S and iPad2+ ONLY (also - SIRI on 4S and iPad 3 ONLY)

Netherscourge
Jun 11, 2012, 02:53 PM
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/maps/

(scroll to the very very bottom of the page)

1. Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas. Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply.

2. Siri will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.

In case anyone was wondering...

...don't know why there's no SIRI on the iPad 2 - it uses the same exact hardware the 4S uses...?

Electric turd
Jun 11, 2012, 02:55 PM

Saw it and I think its crooked as HELL. I had an LG Dare 5 years ago that had Turn-by-turn yet the iphone 4 cant handle it? LOL

djrod
Jun 11, 2012, 02:58 PM
************ ****** ************ ****************** ****** ****** ******!!!!

Hephaestus
Jun 11, 2012, 03:00 PM
Is this serious?! This is a ****ing disgrace! I was so excited when I saw this and now I'm being shafted for having an iPhone 4.. a perfectly capable device! This is actually quite aggravating.

ECUpirate44
Jun 11, 2012, 03:02 PM
So the iPad 2 doesn't get siri but is getting turn by turn navigation?

Iphonerookie84
Jun 11, 2012, 03:04 PM
Apple full of #***!

Netherscourge
Jun 11, 2012, 03:06 PM
I can understand the need for a multi-core CPU to handle this stuff...

Hence the 4S and iPad 3.

But... the iPad 2 has the same exact hardware as the 4S [A5 CPU] (in fact, the iPad 2's hardware is clocked HIGHER than the 4S's....)

Why can't the iPad 2 run SIRI? This one needs some serious explaining...

Do the 4S and New iPad have SIRI-exclusive hardware in it or something?

What gives other than bullying-out the iPad 2?

Makes no sense.

1080p
Jun 11, 2012, 03:07 PM
Saw it and I think its crooked as HELL. I had an LG Dare 5 years ago that had Turn-by-turn yet the iphone 4 cant handle it? LOL

You know what I think is lame? When people buy something, pay the initial price with it's advertised features, then cry later when they don't get all of the updates for free.

Sure iPhone 4 can handle turn by turn directions. It has been doing it for a long time with Tom Tom and Navigon apps. Those cost money to develop... so they charge for them. It cost Apple money to develop Siri and navigation, and they don't charge a dime for these updates, but it is their prerogative to only offer features to their newest devices... and it is a way to sell more of them.

Accept it and buy the latest device or move on to a competing platform.

Oh hey... Galaxy S III comes out in a few weeks. It ships with Ice Cream Sandwich. This fall, Google will release the Jellybean update with a slew of new features... but... you will need to wait until Samsung rapes it with their custom UI. Then you will need to wait until your carrier gets a hold of it and removes core features and adds bloat. Then they will FINALLY decide to push an update months after Jellybean was released.

Netherscourge
Jun 11, 2012, 03:12 PM
You know what I think is lame? When people buy something, pay the initial price with it's advertised features, then cry later when they don't get all of the updates for free.

Sure iPhone 4 can handle turn by turn directions. It has been doing it for a long time with Tom Tom and Navigon apps. Those cost money to develop... so they charge for them. It cost Apple money to develop Siri and navigation, and they don't charge a dime for these updates, but it is their prerogative to only offer features to their newest devices... and it is a way to sell more of them.

Oh hey... Galaxy S III comes out in a few weeks. It ships with Ice Cream Sandwich. This fall, Google will release the Jellybean update with a slew of new features... but... you will need to wait until Samsung rapes it with their custom UI. Then you will need to wait until your carrier gets a hold of it and removes core features and adds bloat. Then they will FINALLY decide to push an update months after Jellybean was released.

Stop making excuses for them. It's not like they are in trouble and need new sales.

They don't make or sell ANYTHING at a loss.

sdsvtdriver
Jun 11, 2012, 03:26 PM
Stop making excuses for them. It's not like they are in trouble and need new sales.

They don't make or sell ANYTHING at a loss.

He's not making excuses. He's explaining business.

iOS6 will be out "this fall". So will the next iPhone. The iPhone 4 will be over 2 years old at that point and be an entry level device replacing the 3GS.

If turn by turn is so important, there are a number of apps available ranging from free to $40.

Clearly, the iPad 2 can run Siri from a technical standpoint. The iPad 2 is now an entry level device like the 3GS and will have some features not available.

Apple is a hardware company. They view software as a means to drive sales of their devices. Not sure why this is hard for people to understand. Those with a 2 year old phone complaining about not getting every single new feature need to realize their contribution to Apple was over 2 years ago.

Ay_Zimmy
Jun 11, 2012, 03:29 PM

...don't know why there's no SIRI on the iPad 2 - it uses the same exact hardware the 4S uses...?

Because they want to sell the newer iPad.. This way it makes itself look more advanced than the iPad 2 and iPad.

Smith288
Jun 11, 2012, 03:30 PM
He's not making excuses. He's explaining business.

iOS6 will be out "this fall". So will the next iPhone. The iPhone 4 will be over 2 years old at that point and be an entry level device replacing the 3GS.

If turn by turn is so important, there are a number of apps available ranging from free to $40.

Clearly, the iPad 2 can run Siri from a technical standpoint. The iPad 2 is now an entry level device like the 3GS and will have some features not available.

Apple is a hardware company. They view software as a means to drive sales of their devices. Not sure why this is hard for people to understand. Those with a 2 year old phone complaining about not getting every single new feature need to realize their contribution to Apple was over 2 years ago.

As a capitalist pig, this makes 100% sense. As a snot nosed apple fan boy, I want to stomp up and down like an entitled prepubescent teen. lol

sclawis300
Jun 11, 2012, 03:33 PM
I am blown away that the 3GS is getting the same thing my iphone 4 is. Can't wait till next iphone comes out so I can use my upgrade.

Vook
Jun 11, 2012, 03:46 PM
i am blown away that the 3gs is getting the same thing my iphone 4 is. Can't wait till next iphone comes out so i can use my upgrade.

x2

DDustiNN
Jun 11, 2012, 04:22 PM
Wait, what? My iPhone 4 won't do turn-by-turn navigation?

...even though I use MapQuest for that feature already?

Okay, this is officially the worst OS upgrade ever. :mad:

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 04:28 PM

They could sell those features in the app store, or offer a choice between the crippled update and full update that you have to pay for!

1080p
Jun 11, 2012, 04:49 PM
They could sell those features in the app store, or offer a choice between the crippled update and full update that you have to pay for!

And what would Apple charge for said update? $20? Apple is making a much larger profit selling you a new phone. It's business. Deal with it. You can be an Apple customer or not. But it isn't like other companies don't do the same. That is why they drag their feet to give Android phones updates... or not give updates period. They want to sell you a new phone.

This is the hardware business.

Microsoft is in the software business. That is why a new version of Windows costs $300 and not $20 like Mountain Lion. The hardware is subsidizing the development of the software. It is the very reason Apple hates Hackintoshing.

matttye
Jun 11, 2012, 04:50 PM
And what would Apple charge for said update? $20? Apple is making a much larger profit selling you a new phone. It's business. Deal with it. You can be an Apple customer or not. But it isn't like other companies don't do the same. That is why they drag their feet to give Android phones updates... or not give updates period. They want to sell you a new phone.

Microsoft is in the software business. That is why a new version of Windows costs $300 and not $20 like Mountain Lion. The hardware is subsidizing the development of the software. It is the very reason Apple hates Hackintoshing.

Nobody is going to buy new hardware just for Siri and turn by turn navigation.

Benenstein
Jun 11, 2012, 05:02 PM
I can honestly say that I use Siri maybe once a month on my 4s...so not having it on my iPad isnt going to be a big deal.

----------

I remember with the first generation iPod touch they made the update $20...there was a huge uproar but people still paid the $20 to Apple and said that the update was amazing. So charging would make people mad...but of course they would live with it.

bigjobby
Jun 11, 2012, 05:11 PM
Would love to see turn-by-turn on the iPad2+ used as a big-ass car sat-nav.:D

Apollo 13
Jun 11, 2012, 05:14 PM
So next year if they do a UI change they will not put it on the 4s because it's 2 years old. I understand the 3GS and i4 not getting flyover but no turn by turn is just dumb.

URFloorMatt
Jun 11, 2012, 05:17 PM
I'll be curious to see next year when Siri inevitably makes it to OS X what kind of limitations they place. Apple made a point of noting the noise canceling microphones on the new Retina MBP. My guess is that wasn't put there for FaceTime.

WeegieMac
Jun 11, 2012, 06:41 PM
Just as well I own the TomTom app for my iPhone 4 ... you know, the same maps data that Apple is using for its own turn by turn but isn't allowing on iPhone 4.

OzyOly
Jun 11, 2012, 06:47 PM
Turn by turn is working for me on my iPhone 4. Maybe they'll take it out later...

----------

To make clear to everyone. Turn-by-Turn does work with the iphone 4, but it doesn't give you a above view.

http://gettin.gs/photo.PNG

utahman130
Jun 11, 2012, 06:52 PM

Hence the 4S and iPad 3.

But... the iPad 2 has the same exact hardware as the 4S [A5 CPU] (in fact, the iPad 2's hardware is clocked HIGHER than the 4S's....)

Makes no sense.

Sadly, they are doing this to convince people to buy the new products. All about the money

iPhoneApple
Jun 11, 2012, 06:56 PM
Will this GPS work for iPad? Really excited for pics of that!

chiefpavvy
Jun 11, 2012, 08:08 PM
Would love to see turn-by-turn on the iPad2+ used as a big-ass car sat-nav.:D

Navigon...why wait?

theonekcrow
Jun 11, 2012, 08:31 PM
I figured that would have happened. A4 processor wasn't good enough for that kind of stuff....

KillerTree
Jun 11, 2012, 08:47 PM
Turn by turn is working for me on my iPhone 4. Maybe they'll take it out later...

----------

To make clear to everyone. Turn-by-Turn does work with the iphone 4, but it doesn't give you a above view.

Image (http://gettin.gs/photo.PNG)

Is there a voice telling you when to turn?

Dunbar
Jun 11, 2012, 08:57 PM
Those with a 2 year old phone complaining about not getting every single new feature need to realize their contribution to Apple was over 2 years ago.

I know quite a few people who didn't get the iphone 4 until after Verizon started selling it. So try 16 months or less old for a few million customers...Oh yeah I forgot, those people are idiots for buying old hardware...

MythicFrost
Jun 11, 2012, 10:12 PM
It's no doubt to encourage sales of the iPad 3 as well, and... I doubt Apple's servers could handle all the load from the iPad 2 as well.

walie
Jun 11, 2012, 10:37 PM
Fragmentation

Wreckie
Jun 12, 2012, 02:52 AM
No worries.. Cydia will help us out with the iPhone 4 and new maps :P

Technarchy
Jun 12, 2012, 02:56 AM

----------

You are so annoying. I prefer hysteria and ass hattery to lucid responses backed by experience.

sclawis300
Jun 12, 2012, 10:03 AM

There was no other choice until about 8 months ago.

AndyK
Jun 12, 2012, 10:10 AM
I've no idea how it works in the USA & other countries, but in the UK most phone contracts run from 18-24 months and then you get a free upgrade to whatever you want and renew, or cancel and move to a new provider.

I don't see why people cry so much, just move to a new and better plan with the iPhone 4s or wait for the 5 to be released.

Axne1
Jun 12, 2012, 10:21 AM
No reason to update my iPhone 4 :!

GUILTIE
Jun 12, 2012, 10:37 AM
I know quite a few people who didn't get the iphone 4 until after Verizon started selling it. So try 16 months or less old for a few million customers...Oh yeah I forgot, those people are idiots for buying old hardware...

I got the Verizon phone when it was released, so I feel pretty cheated. True, it was old hardware, but it was the only choice at the time! It doesn't feel like old hardware with day to day use :/

Gjwilly
Jun 12, 2012, 10:44 AM
Beta-1 anyway, does include turn-by-turn for the iPhone 4.
It runs badly but it does run.
If you click the compass icon so that the map auto-scrolls with your GPS location the the turn by turn will auto-advance along with your route but the lag is pretty horrible.
The auto-advance happens halfway through each section of route so if the notice says to make a left 1 mile ahead and then go for 10 miles, the notice will not advance until after you've traveled 5 miles down that 10 mile stretch.
If the next stretch is 2 miles then it won't advance until you're 1 mile down that stretch.
It's always half a stretch behind.

TennisandMusic
Jun 12, 2012, 11:43 AM

And yet, MS is still supporting XP, and you can still install Windows 7 on really old computers, and you will be able to install Windows 8 on really old computers. Arbitrarily "obsoleting" a two year old device is pretty much downright dirty. Defending Apple because they "want money" is weird.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 12, 2012, 11:59 AM
And yet, MS is still supporting XP, and you can still install Windows 7 on really old computers, and you will be able to install Windows 8 on really old computers. Arbitrarily "obsoleting" a two year old device is pretty much downright dirty. Defending Apple because they "want money" is weird.

Look at it this way.

Microsoft is a software company (meaning they make money from software). It makes sense that Microsoft wants to be able to sell windows (at a very high cost) to as many people as possible for as long as possible. In fact, I'm sure microsoft makes twice as much money (or more) from selling an upgrade than from a person buying a new computer.

Apple is a hardware company (meaning they make money from hardware). They sell you their software upgrades at a very inexpensive cost (see: FREE and $20). They NEED to phase out old hardware support because if everybody kept their Mac's for 10 years Apple wouldn't make much money.

There is nothing particularly dirty about Apple's tactics. The iPad 1's will continue to work fine for many, many years. They just won't be receiving FREE updates. I think we can expect to see Mac's fully supported for 6 years and iPad's fully supported for ~3 years (yes iPad 1 will only end up supported for 2.5 years, but I believe from iPad 2 forward the support will last for 3.5 years. This is because Apple has moved to the "last year at $100 cheaper" model). Honestly I think that's a pretty reasonable timeframe to keep those devices. Mobile devices just have faster upgrade cycles. By the time the iPad 4 comes out, any heavy iPad 1 users would probably be looking to upgrade anyway (if they hadn't already).

TennisandMusic
Jun 12, 2012, 12:51 PM
Look at it this way.

Microsoft is a software company (meaning they make money from software). It makes sense that Microsoft wants to be able to sell windows (at a very high cost) to as many people as possible for as long as possible. In fact, I'm sure microsoft makes twice as much money (or more) from selling an upgrade than from a person buying a new computer.

Apple is a hardware company (meaning they make money from hardware). They sell you their software upgrades at a very inexpensive cost (see: FREE and $20). They NEED to phase out old hardware support because if everybody kept their Mac's for 10 years Apple wouldn't make much money.

There is nothing particularly dirty about Apple's tactics. The iPad 1's will continue to work fine for many, many years. They just won't be receiving FREE updates. I think we can expect to see Mac's fully supported for 6 years and iPad's fully supported for ~3 years (yes iPad 1 will only end up supported for 2.5 years, but I believe from iPad 2 forward the support will last for 3.5 years. This is because Apple has moved to the "last year at $100 cheaper" model). Honestly I think that's a pretty reasonable timeframe to keep those devices. Mobile devices just have faster upgrade cycles. By the time the iPad 4 comes out, any heavy iPad 1 users would probably be looking to upgrade anyway (if they hadn't already).

Uhh...if MS makes money selling software it would make sense for them to drop support much sooner thereby forcing license upgrades, or new computer purchases. Saying they make money on software so it behooves them to support software for a long long time makes absolutely no sense.

It's just products. Hardware or software, does not matter. The sooner a product is "obsolete" the sooner an upgrade is required. It's pretty much a fact that Apple arbitrarily stops supporting devices or computers that are completely capable of running whatever software they are about to release.

Also mobile devices don't HAVE to have a faster upgrade cycle. I mean, I understand why they would, but to do what Apple is doing in this case seems just wrong. I'd like to hear a logical defense for what the thread title is talking about here.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 12, 2012, 01:23 PM
Uhh...if MS makes money selling software it would make sense for them to drop support much sooner thereby forcing license upgrades, or new computer purchases. Saying they make money on software so it behooves them to support software for a long long time makes absolutely no sense.

I'd like to hear a logical defense for what the thread title is talking about here.

I was referring to this part of your post you can still install Windows 7 on really old computers, and you will be able to install Windows 8 on really old computers.
That's why microsoft works hard to make their software capable of running of a wide range of hardware. Regarding software support for old software, I think that's mainly because Microsoft needs to because there are millions of people still running it. It would be a PR nightmare (especially with all the businesses running XP). But Apple has no reason to support 8 year old OS's because there are maybe only a few thousand people running it.

You have been given a logical defense (to promote adoption of newer devices). You just don't like it. Apple has every right (and reason) to do this. Are you looking for a technical reason for this limitation? There probably isn't one. Of course I haven't tried running turn-by-turn or flyover on a 3gs or 4, but I'm sure it would be able to run, although more slowly than on the 4s. Maybe they lagged too much for Apples standards, maybe it is entirely holding back features to promote adoption. Most likely it is a combination of the two.

Do you remember the threads and threads of complaints about how slow the iPhone 3G ran iOS 4? There ARE definitely technical limitations of the hardware as software progresses.

Burton8219
Jun 12, 2012, 01:27 PM
Siri is a huge selling point for the 4S... you make it available for the 4 and less people buy the 4S. Why is that so hard to grasp? Nothing dirty, illegal, or whatever about it.

blackhand1001
Jun 12, 2012, 01:29 PM
I figured that would have happened. A4 processor wasn't good enough for that kind of stuff....

Every android phone even the crappiest ones have turn by turn and voice navigation.

steviem
Jun 12, 2012, 01:37 PM

----------

This isn't turn by turn. It's the directions you get just the same as in Google Maps on iOS5.

Turn by turn is what you get on standalone GPSes and apps like Navigon. The default view is kind of floating 3D and most importantly has a voice telling you when and where to turn.

I had Turn by Turn in Google Navigation on my old Epic 4G, which was ok, but required an internet connection, overheated the phone and was a huge power drain.

I now have Navigon on my iPhone 4 and it's great. Despite having to pay for it....

----------

Every android phone even the crappiest ones have turn by turn and voice navigation.

Yet in my experience, it does bad things to the phone and needs an internet connection, plus the best update usually requires the latest version of Android.

a.jfred
Jun 12, 2012, 01:45 PM
So ... no real incentive for me to upgrade to iOS 6, since my 4G works just fine. I kind of figured that, since most of the update I was reading involved SIRI, SIRI AND MORE SIRI.

Not really wanting, or needing, to shell out another $200 - $400 for a phone right now - particularly given everything else that's happened, financially, this year. :\

eezing
Jun 12, 2012, 02:01 PM

Hence the 4S and iPad 3.

Makes no sense.

They wanna get you on the up-sell. I have an iPad 2 and I too think this is pretty bogus. Considering the amount of power the iPad 3rd Gen requires, it is no faster than the iPad 2.

theonekcrow
Jun 12, 2012, 07:34 PM
To be honest, anyone with an iPhone 4 wanting turn by turn directions, would befefit from an app like Waze. Free turn by turn directions with croudsourced info for traffic and stuff.

mactmaster
Jun 12, 2012, 08:11 PM
On my iPhone 4S I am already using TomTom for navigation. It would have been nice to have this feature on iPhone 4 though. My brother (android convert who was used to free google nav) and sister both have the 8GB iPhone 4 so having a ~1.2GB app for navigation is kind of hard to justify with the limited space.

There is hope to enable this with a simple jailbreak tweak in the future. At first it seemed that this was tied into Siri because of the same voice but today I used it while having Siri disabled and I still got the audible turn by turn navigate so I'm hopeful this will come down to iPhone 4 via jailbreak at least.

sammee
Jun 12, 2012, 09:14 PM
Because they want to sell the newer iPad.. This way it makes itself look more advanced than the iPad 2 and iPad.

Maybe.But I think it is the Apple way.:apple:
Waiting~

zsears
Jun 12, 2012, 10:24 PM
Is the new iPad doing voice turn by turn? I saw someone demonstrate it and they mentioned it wasn't speaking the directions.

skywalkerr69
Jun 12, 2012, 10:29 PM
Nobody is going to buy new hardware just for Siri and turn by turn navigation.

Amen! But they will spend $3,000 on a MBP with a retina lololol

ErikGrim
Jun 13, 2012, 12:11 AM
Nobody is going to buy new hardware just for Siri and turn by turn navigation.Have you ever bought a standalone car navigator?

----------

So ... no real incentive for me to upgrade to iOS 6, since my 4G works just fine. I kind of figured that, since most of the update I was reading involved SIRI, SIRI AND MORE SIRI.You do realise this is a FREE upgrade, right?

matttye
Jun 13, 2012, 01:22 AM
Have you ever bought a standalone car navigator?

----------

You do realise this is a FREE upgrade, right?

Yeah but it didn't cost me 500+ or tie me into a two year contract.

ErikGrim
Jun 13, 2012, 01:48 AM
Yeah but it didn't cost me 500+ or tie me into a two year contract.But you bought new hardware for a single feature.

matttye
Jun 13, 2012, 02:33 AM
But you bought new hardware for a single feature.

I should have said "Nobody is going to buy a new iPhone just for Siri and turn by turn navigation," although in the context I posted it, I thought that was clear.

OzyOly
Jun 15, 2012, 12:34 PM
This isn't turn by turn. It's the directions you get just the same as in Google Maps on iOS5.

Turn by turn is what you get on standalone GPSes and apps like Navigon. The default view is kind of floating 3D and most importantly has a voice telling you when and where to turn.

I had Turn by Turn in Google Navigation on my old Epic 4G, which was ok, but required an internet connection, overheated the phone and was a huge power drain.

I now have Navigon on my iPhone 4 and it's great. Despite having to pay for it....

It follows you and tells you where to go with signs. it doesn't do that on iOS5. That's turn by turn.

I know it's not the sam standard as TomTom but it's an improvement on just trying see a blue dot on a blue line when trying to get to your destination.

virginblue4
Jun 15, 2012, 12:39 PM

Hence the 4S and iPad 3.

Makes no sense.

It's getting boring reading stuff like this now. If you spent 5 minutes and searched for it, you'd understand.

It's NOT about the hardware. It's about the servers. They don't want millions of iPhone 4 or iPad 2 customers clogging up the servers and ruining the experience for the iPhone 4S customers. Instead they brought it only to their flagship iPad model.

djrod
Jun 15, 2012, 01:20 PM
Turn by turn lags a lot in the iPhone 4, no wonder is not officially supported

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/15/developer-gets-ios-6-maps-with-flyovers-and-turn-by-turn-running-on-iphone-4/