Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Netherscourge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/maps/

(scroll to the very very bottom of the page)

1. Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas. Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply.

2. Siri will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.

In case anyone was wondering...

...don't know why there's no SIRI on the iPad 2 - it uses the same exact hardware the 4S uses...?

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Is this serious?! This is a ****ing disgrace! I was so excited when I saw this and now I'm being shafted for having an iPhone 4.. a perfectly capable device! This is actually quite aggravating.

Netherscourge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I can understand the need for a multi-core CPU to handle this stuff...

Hence the 4S and iPad 3.

But... the iPad 2 has the same exact hardware as the 4S [A5 CPU] (in fact, the iPad 2's hardware is clocked HIGHER than the 4S's....)

Why can't the iPad 2 run SIRI? This one needs some serious explaining...

Do the 4S and New iPad have SIRI-exclusive hardware in it or something?

What gives other than bullying-out the iPad 2?

Makes no sense.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Saw it and I think its crooked as HELL. I had an LG Dare 5 years ago that had Turn-by-turn yet the iphone 4 cant handle it? LOL

You know what I think is lame? When people buy something, pay the initial price with it's advertised features, then cry later when they don't get all of the updates for free.

Sure iPhone 4 can handle turn by turn directions. It has been doing it for a long time with Tom Tom and Navigon apps. Those cost money to develop... so they charge for them. It cost Apple money to develop Siri and navigation, and they don't charge a dime for these updates, but it is their prerogative to only offer features to their newest devices... and it is a way to sell more of them.

Accept it and buy the latest device or move on to a competing platform.

Oh hey... Galaxy S III comes out in a few weeks. It ships with Ice Cream Sandwich. This fall, Google will release the Jellybean update with a slew of new features... but... you will need to wait until Samsung rapes it with their custom UI. Then you will need to wait until your carrier gets a hold of it and removes core features and adds bloat. Then they will FINALLY decide to push an update months after Jellybean was released.

Netherscourge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
You know what I think is lame? When people buy something, pay the initial price with it's advertised features, then cry later when they don't get all of the updates for free.

Sure iPhone 4 can handle turn by turn directions. It has been doing it for a long time with Tom Tom and Navigon apps. Those cost money to develop... so they charge for them. It cost Apple money to develop Siri and navigation, and they don't charge a dime for these updates, but it is their prerogative to only offer features to their newest devices... and it is a way to sell more of them.

Oh hey... Galaxy S III comes out in a few weeks. It ships with Ice Cream Sandwich. This fall, Google will release the Jellybean update with a slew of new features... but... you will need to wait until Samsung rapes it with their custom UI. Then you will need to wait until your carrier gets a hold of it and removes core features and adds bloat. Then they will FINALLY decide to push an update months after Jellybean was released.

Stop making excuses for them. It's not like they are in trouble and need new sales.

They don't make or sell ANYTHING at a loss.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
Stop making excuses for them. It's not like they are in trouble and need new sales.

They don't make or sell ANYTHING at a loss.

He's not making excuses. He's explaining business.

iOS6 will be out "this fall". So will the next iPhone. The iPhone 4 will be over 2 years old at that point and be an entry level device replacing the 3GS.

If turn by turn is so important, there are a number of apps available ranging from free to $40.

Clearly, the iPad 2 can run Siri from a technical standpoint. The iPad 2 is now an entry level device like the 3GS and will have some features not available.

Apple is a hardware company. They view software as a means to drive sales of their devices. Not sure why this is hard for people to understand. Those with a 2 year old phone complaining about not getting every single new feature need to realize their contribution to Apple was over 2 years ago.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
He's not making excuses. He's explaining business.

iOS6 will be out "this fall". So will the next iPhone. The iPhone 4 will be over 2 years old at that point and be an entry level device replacing the 3GS.

If turn by turn is so important, there are a number of apps available ranging from free to $40.

Clearly, the iPad 2 can run Siri from a technical standpoint. The iPad 2 is now an entry level device like the 3GS and will have some features not available.

Apple is a hardware company. They view software as a means to drive sales of their devices. Not sure why this is hard for people to understand. Those with a 2 year old phone complaining about not getting every single new feature need to realize their contribution to Apple was over 2 years ago.

As a capitalist pig, this makes 100% sense. As a snot nosed apple fan boy, I want to stomp up and down like an entitled prepubescent teen. lol

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
I am blown away that the 3GS is getting the same thing my iphone 4 is. Can't wait till next iphone comes out so I can use my upgrade.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Wait, what? My iPhone 4 won't do turn-by-turn navigation?

...even though I use MapQuest for that feature already?

Okay, this is officially the worst OS upgrade ever. :mad:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

They could sell those features in the app store, or offer a choice between the crippled update and full update that you have to pay for!

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
They could sell those features in the app store, or offer a choice between the crippled update and full update that you have to pay for!

And what would Apple charge for said update? $20? Apple is making a much larger profit selling you a new phone. It's business. Deal with it. You can be an Apple customer or not. But it isn't like other companies don't do the same. That is why they drag their feet to give Android phones updates... or not give updates period. They want to sell you a new phone.

This is the hardware business.

Microsoft is in the software business. That is why a new version of Windows costs $300 and not $20 like Mountain Lion. The hardware is subsidizing the development of the software. It is the very reason Apple hates Hackintoshing.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
And what would Apple charge for said update? $20? Apple is making a much larger profit selling you a new phone. It's business. Deal with it. You can be an Apple customer or not. But it isn't like other companies don't do the same. That is why they drag their feet to give Android phones updates... or not give updates period. They want to sell you a new phone.

This is the hardware business.

Microsoft is in the software business. That is why a new version of Windows costs $300 and not $20 like Mountain Lion. The hardware is subsidizing the development of the software. It is the very reason Apple hates Hackintoshing.

Nobody is going to buy new hardware just for Siri and turn by turn navigation.

Benenstein

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Illinois
I can honestly say that I use Siri maybe once a month on my 4s...so not having it on my iPad isnt going to be a big deal.

----------

I remember with the first generation iPod touch they made the update $20...there was a huge uproar but people still paid the $20 to Apple and said that the update was amazing. So charging would make people mad...but of course they would live with it.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
So next year if they do a UI change they will not put it on the 4s because it's 2 years old. I understand the 3GS and i4 not getting flyover but no turn by turn is just dumb.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
I'll be curious to see next year when Siri inevitably makes it to OS X what kind of limitations they place. Apple made a point of noting the noise canceling microphones on the new Retina MBP. My guess is that wasn't put there for FaceTime.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Just as well I own the TomTom app for my iPhone 4 ... you know, the same maps data that Apple is using for its own turn by turn but isn't allowing on iPhone 4.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Turn by turn is working for me on my iPhone 4. Maybe they'll take it out later...

----------

To make clear to everyone. Turn-by-Turn does work with the iphone 4, but it doesn't give you a above view.

photo.PNG

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2012
I can understand the need for a multi-core CPU to handle this stuff...

Hence the 4S and iPad 3.

But... the iPad 2 has the same exact hardware as the 4S [A5 CPU] (in fact, the iPad 2's hardware is clocked HIGHER than the 4S's....)

Why can't the iPad 2 run SIRI? This one needs some serious explaining...

Do the 4S and New iPad have SIRI-exclusive hardware in it or something?

What gives other than bullying-out the iPad 2?

Makes no sense.

Sadly, they are doing this to convince people to buy the new products. All about the money

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.