PDA

View Full Version : iOS 6 Beta for Developers Now Available

MacRumors
Jun 11, 2012, 03:00 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/ios-6-beta-for-developers-now-available/)

Following the WWDC keynote, Apple has made the first developer beta of iOS 6 available through its iOS Developer Center. The beta arrives as the 10A5316k build (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/10/apple-releasing-ios-6-beta-build-10a5316k-and-safari-6-developer-preview-at-wwdc/) leaked as inactive links yesterday.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/ios_6_beta_10a5316k.jpg

The beta is available for the iPhone 3GS and later, iPad 2 and later, and the fourth-generation iPod touch. Builds of the new Apple TV software for second- and third-generation devices are also available.

In addition to iOS 6 releases themselves, Apple has also released iTunes 10.6.3 for developers, as well as Xcode 4.5 developer preview.

Article Link: iOS 6 Beta for Developers Now Available (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/ios-6-beta-for-developers-now-available/)

Alex Hobbs
Jun 11, 2012, 03:02 PM
9to5Mac were spot on then.

Disappointing about the iMac though :/

coder12
Jun 11, 2012, 03:03 PM
"I have you now" as Vader would say. I'm hesitant to switch from my Jailbreak though...

Tea-Aholic
There is a reason they made it available for the 3GS. Apple now can get more map data from more iPhone users.

Worf
About the time where most people on this forum wish they had developer accounts.

moderngamenewb
No iTunes 11? Perhaps that will be saved for the music even in September (or October like last year)

SBlue1
I want iOS for the Apple tv.

Consultant
Jun 11, 2012, 03:04 PM
Very tempting but I'll wait for the public release this fall.

thacube
Jun 11, 2012, 03:04 PM
which iPad 2 is which? is Rev A the new model or the original production?

fender4645
Jun 11, 2012, 03:05 PM
Anyone else getting "Access Denied" error when trying to download any of the images?

bushido
tempted to try those new features sry, i mean product placements but it's rather pointless without running mountain lion at the same time

CylonGlitch
About 25% remaining of the 800MB download.

GBrooks
Jun 11, 2012, 03:06 PM
Renewing membership, then it's all go!

iMolle
I'm just sad about the iOS 6, i just can't believe....Only if they are planning another "major" update when releasing iPhone 5...damnish...:o

AustinIllini
No iTunes 11? Perhaps that will be saved for the music even in September (or October like last year)

Or they'll just called it iTunes X and rev it up. (kidding)

Sixtafoua
It's downloading!!
I'm excited!

ricky1025
Jun 11, 2012, 03:07 PM
Anyone else getting "Access Denied" error when trying to download any of the images?

Yeah I'm also getting that error. I called Apple's developer telephone support line and they told its because they're still updating the website. So even though its posted, its still not technically there.

olijosm

Yeah I am, well confusing. I should have permissions to view it :s

jonnysods
I can't seem to grab iTunes 10.6.3. It keeps sending me to the regular page on apple.com...

AustinIllini
Jun 11, 2012, 03:08 PM
I'm just sad about the iOS 6, i just can't believe....Only if they are planning another "major" update when releasing iPhone 5...damnish...:o

I guess I'm a little disappointed, but what were you hoping for? The user interface is the best in the business at this point. Why change it?

Xenc
Jun 11, 2012, 03:08 PM
The release notes are still unavailable, but it would be interesting to see if the speculated UDID replacement (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1381966) is in iOS 6, and if MapKit automatically uses the new Apple tiles.

I can't seem to grab iTunes 10.6.3. It keeps sending me to the regular page on apple.com...

Note that it says "release version". You can download iTunes 10.6.3 from where it sends you. ;)

lomholdt
Jun 11, 2012, 03:09 PM
So when can we get this as non developers?

billchase2
Currently installing on my GSM iPhone 4 and my new iPad!

scar88
just downloaded it for 3gs. question is do i need intunes 10.6.3? if so the link in the members section points to 10.6

Scott90

Rev A is for iPad 2 models bought after the new iPad was introduced.

Diode
Is it just me or is it weird that Apple supports iOS6 on the 3GS but not the original iPad?

RavynArcadia

I'm getting the exact thing followed by the error code P1
and my account says it's good till feb next year

LastLine

Fall.

And time to go install.

CrAkD
Jun 11, 2012, 03:10 PM
I have a developer account but I rely too much on my 4s and iPad 3 for work to load ios 6 and have something like logmein not work.....

illjazz
Jun 11, 2012, 03:10 PM

Note that it says "Release version" of iTunes in the dev portal. The reason it sends you to the regular page is because it's not a pre-release version of iTunes. iTunes 10.6.3 was released today. To the public.

iSam011088
Jun 11, 2012, 03:11 PM
No, I just installed on 10.6.1 iPad is not activating though. just downloaded it for 3gs. question is do i need intunes 10.6.3? if so the link in the members section points to 10.6

MythicFrost
Excellent...

billchase2

Fall

jonnysods
The release notes are still unavailable, but it would be interesting to see if the speculated UDID replacement (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1381966) is in iOS 6, and if MapKit automatically uses the new Apple tiles.

Download it from there. ;)

Wow, thanks. For some reason software update never updated me!

thacube
Rev A is for iPad 2 models bought after the new iPad was introduced.

thanks!

orangebluedevil
someone tweeted 10.6.3 direct link to me. Look at tweets at @rjonesy. (Sorry work blocks Twitter, first person paste it.)

Exploring iOS 6 now, will tweet screenshots to @macrumors of good stuff

GoGa
The redesigned stores look very nice...
http://images.apple.com/euro/ios/ios6/images/more_stores_2x.png

scar88
Jun 11, 2012, 03:12 PM
Note that it says "Release version" of iTunes in the dev portal. The reason it sends you to the regular page is because it's not a pre-release version of iTunes. iTunes 10.6.3 was released today. To the public.

thanks for clearing that up

blevins321

Pretty sure that means revision "#", so the A would be the first revision. And remember that the revision (AFAIK) was only the 16GB Wifi model.

manjaap
my 4S is not activating either. says it is not a registered device....grrrrr. double checked my udid and still not working

illjazz
I've had the DMG ready for 15min already. A bit worried... are you guys installing this on your primary iPhones? I really want to give it a spin on my 4S. The warning says you can't downgrade back to iOS 5 if anything doesn't work so well. But I remember being able to downgrade from iOS 5 beta to iOS 4 release without any problems by pointing iTunes at the iOS 4 IPSW and doing a restore...

OllyW
Jun 11, 2012, 03:13 PM
Before anyone asks...

Moderator Note:

Please be aware of the forum announcement (http://forums.macrumors.com/announcement.php?f=156) regarding UDID slots.

kirky29
Jun 11, 2012, 03:13 PM
My download keeps saying 26mins left!!!

Looking forward to testing it :)

iMolle
Jun 11, 2012, 03:14 PM
I guess I'm a little disappointed, but what were you hoping for? The user interface is the best in the business at this point. Why change it?

I don't mean like trash Android things to be implemented to the iOS, but i mean if it's a new iOS "number" it should have few more things, just something i don't know...

The UI is of course the most useful thing so there is not a big change needed.

weing
Jun 11, 2012, 03:15 PM
So sad that iOS6 will be sending all those 1G iPads to the landfill before their 3rd birthday.
But yet somehow a 2009 3gs iPhone is still golden? If there ever was an extreme example of apple forking over their customers it's here right before your eyes.

ozziegn
About the time where most people on this forum wish they had developer accounts.

not me.

one of my buddies has a SDK account and "lent" me a copy of iOS 5 to use my iPhone 4. that crap was so freaking buggy (as I knew it would be) that I only used it for one day and I got rid of that crap.

I have no idea why lots of people go gaga over this stuff. I've learned to sit back and let the developers and the pros work the bugs out. then, and only then do I jump aboard the new ship.

Ducky280
My 4S is not activating either...

I've re added my UDID, but still nothing!!!!!!!!!

Trik
Jun 11, 2012, 03:16 PM
I really don't think it's just not available as others are able to download!

iMolle
So sad that iOS6 will be sending all those 1G iPads to the landfill before their 3rd birthday.
But yet somehow a 2009 3gs iPhone is still golden? If there ever was an extreme example of apple forking over their customers it's here right before your eyes.

Apple has already done a favor for iPads, by keeping the same price for the 3rd gen as the 2nd gen of iPads, so another reason iPad 1 owners to upgrade...

illjazz
There must be a technical reason. Anything else makes no sense. What does Apple gain by dropping support for the original iPad? Especially in light of the fact that they kept support for the 3GS (although I'm sure not with all features). Makes no sense.

overflower
I'm updating at the moment. Just waiting for the reboot.
Lets see what happens.

The links on the iTunes download page have just been updated to 10.6.3

illjazz
Jun 11, 2012, 03:18 PM
I'm updating at the moment. Just waiting for the reboot.
Lets see what happens.

The links on the iTunes download page have just been updated to 10.6.3

Let us know if it works out. I'm still holding off here, even though I've got everything ready to go.

CarlosTheJackl
Jun 11, 2012, 03:18 PM
I call it now, you'll be able to upload things. There is now way Apple will go another year without access to photo's app from safari.

scar88
Jun 11, 2012, 03:19 PM
Ok here goes..... intrigued to see how my 3gs performs

overflower
Jun 11, 2012, 03:19 PM
Let us know if it works out. I'm still holding off here, even though I've got everything ready to go.

My iPhone 4 is now restoring from it's last iCloud backup. This could take some time

drummerdude1390
Jun 11, 2012, 03:20 PM
im a newly registered developer paying the 99 bucks a few months ago. I have two apps in the app store that are new, so im constantly pushing updates. It says I can't push them from xcode 4.5, but i can in the public release. If i download 4.5, will I still get the older version? or will it go away?

illjazz
Jun 11, 2012, 03:20 PM
Waiting to see if you guys are bricking your phones :D

Ducky280
Jun 11, 2012, 03:22 PM

Mine ATM, is LOL LOL......

iEdd
Jun 11, 2012, 03:22 PM
I get access denied for this, but I just downloaded the Safari 6 preview without problems. Is it good enough to be a Mac+iOS developer, or do you also need to be paying the $99/year dev apple store fee?

overflower
Jun 11, 2012, 03:23 PM

10 minutes remaining for the restore. We will see what happens. When I updated from iOS 4 to iOS 5 I had to do it twice before my phone would even boot up. That didn't happen this time.

illjazz
Jun 11, 2012, 03:24 PM
im a newly registered developer paying the 99 bucks a few months ago. I have two apps in the app store that are new, so im constantly pushing updates. It says I can't push them from xcode 4.5, but i can in the public release. If i download 4.5, will I still get the older version? or will it go away?

It says it all on the dev portal:
Xcode 4.5 Developer Preview cannot be used to submit apps to the iOS or Mac App Store. Continue to use the publicly released version of Xcode to compile and submit apps to the App Stores.

Short answer: no, it won't go away. You install the preview of Xcode alongside the public release. At least that's how I interpret Apple's statement above.

tonyunreal
Jun 11, 2012, 03:25 PM
I believe you cannot build your apps with the new Xcode/SDK or else Apple will reject them upon submission. DO NOT INSTALL THIS ON ANY PRODUCTION DEVICE AND/OR COMPUTERS.

In other words, I'm restoring my new iPad right now... :p

smassey321
Jun 11, 2012, 03:25 PM
I am also unable to activate. My device is correctly added to the developer program but the activation screen says it is not.

Nikos
Jun 11, 2012, 03:26 PM
My body is ready.

manjaap
Jun 11, 2012, 03:26 PM
I am also unable to activate. My device is correctly added to the developer program but the activation screen says it is not.

same thing is happening to me

illjazz
Jun 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
Although I also asked whether it's safe to install preview versions of this new stuff, it's reeeeeaaaally simple. If you're in doubt, only install any of this preview software on a separate device.

That means a spare iPhone. A spare Mac.

Can't be safer than that. But if you want to be adventurous... well, you're on your own :)

----------

10 minutes remaining for the restore. We will see what happens. When I updated from iOS 4 to iOS 5 I had to do it twice before my phone would even boot up. That didn't happen this time.

So you're the only one who got his iPhone activated? Seems lots of others can't get their devices activated...

drummerdude1390
Jun 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
I believe you cannot build your apps with the new Xcode/SDK or else Apple will reject them upon submission. DO NOT INSTALL THIS ON ANY PRODUCTION DEVICE AND/OR COMPUTERS.

In other words, I'm restoring my new iPad right now... :p

Hmm, that seems very strange. Can anyone that has already downloaded it confirm or deny if the public release version of Xcode is still there?

pmz
Jun 11, 2012, 03:29 PM
Seeing Activation Server is temporarily unavailable.

illjazz
Jun 11, 2012, 03:30 PM
Hmm, that seems very strange. Can anyone that has already downloaded it confirm or deny if the public release version of Xcode is still there?

It's true. I'll quote it again, from the READ ME BEFORE DOWNLOADING ANY OF THIS section at Apple's iOS portal:

Xcode 4.5 Developer Preview cannot be used to submit apps to the iOS or Mac App Store. Continue to use the publicly released version of Xcode to compile and submit apps to the App Stores.

My bad. The first part is true. Whether the public release remains I don't know. I'm not trying it.

ItsGavinC
Jun 11, 2012, 03:32 PM
Installed on my 4S. Seems super stable to me. All my apps work. No problems so far (it's only been 15 minutes but with the iOS 5 beta last year that's all the time I needed to see how screwy it was).

iCloud syncing working perfectly. Maps is nice. I don't like the light grey color scheme throughout the OS, but that may change.

EDIT: I'm at work, but downloaded the disk image to a computer here and used iTunes to do UPDATE (not restore). My phone restarted but never restored. Working perfectly.

NachoGrande
Jun 11, 2012, 03:33 PM
They finally added the date to the notification center... about time!

tomovo
Jun 11, 2012, 03:33 PM
It just appeared in my App store updates. It says iOS 5.1 SDK and some bugfixes. Where the hell is 4.4?

Munch
Jun 11, 2012, 03:34 PM
There must be a technical reason. Anything else makes no sense. What does Apple gain by dropping support for the original iPad? Especially in light of the fact that they kept support for the 3GS (although I'm sure not with all features). Makes no sense.

It makes sense from the perspective that the 3GS is still being sold in retail. Original iPad is not.

illjazz
Jun 11, 2012, 03:34 PM
Installed on my 4S. Seems super stable to me. All my apps work. No problems so far (it's only been 15 minutes but with the iOS 5 beta last year that's all the time I needed to see how screwy it was).

iCloud syncing working perfectly. Maps is nice. I don't like the light grey color scheme throughout the OS, but that may change.

EDIT: I'm at work, but downloaded the disk image to a computer here and used iTunes to do UPDATE (not restore). My phone restarted but never restored. Working perfectly.

Many thanks. I'm biting the bullet.

PJWilkin
Jun 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
Is it just me or is it weird that Apple supports iOS6 on the 3GS but not the original iPad?

Apple wants you to junk your (less than 3 year) old device and buy a new shiny one

I'm extremely annoyed they can support iOS6 on a 3GS but not the iPad 1

I have both an iPad 1 and and iPad 2, with them not offering iOS 6 for iPad 1, I damn well wont buy an iPad 3, and maybe not an iPad 4

ItsGavinC
Jun 11, 2012, 03:38 PM
Just had my first bug. After a call with my wife, I swiped down the notification center and it said No Notifications. Entered an app, left the app and then swiped down and all my notifications were there.

Still small potatoes for me considering how bad iOS 5 beta was (remember not being able to create calendar events at all!?).

illjazz
Jun 11, 2012, 03:38 PM
It makes sense from the perspective that the 3GS is still being sold in retail. Original iPad is not.

Ok, that does make sense. Sort of. What difference does it make whether it's still sold at retail or not?

AppleGuesser
Jun 11, 2012, 03:39 PM
I love Apple, i breathe Apple, I even write about Apple. But im not drinking the "kool-aid," something just seems lackluster. Its not that i had super high expectations, but something is missing from iOS. It sits inside me as meh, maybe i'm wrong? :confused:

sfwalter
Jun 11, 2012, 03:40 PM
Can't seem to activate my iPad (3rd Generation)...message states activation server is temporarily available. I'll try again a bit later

SixSlinger
Jun 11, 2012, 03:40 PM
I'm up and running on 4s. iPad 3 restoring now. Getting ready to play w/ maps. No issues with ATT activation.

overflower
Jun 11, 2012, 03:43 PM
Although I also asked whether it's safe to install preview versions of this new stuff, it's reeeeeaaaally simple. If you're in doubt, only install any of this preview software on a separate device.

That means a spare iPhone. A spare Mac.

Can't be safer than that. But if you want to be adventurous... well, you're on your own :)

----------

So you're the only one who got his iPhone activated? Seems lots of others can't get their devices activated...

My iPhone 4 is up and running and restoring all applications from iCloud.
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg13/scaled.php?tn=0&server=13&filename=ne7c.png&xsize=640&ysize=640
Only thing I noticed already is that if I try to email a photo the app hangs. Probably due to the downloading of all the apps and data.

illjazz
Jun 11, 2012, 03:44 PM
I love Apple, i breathe Apple, I even write about Apple. But im not drinking the "kool-aid," something just seems lackluster. Its not that i had super high expectations, but something is missing from iOS. It sits inside me as meh, maybe i'm wrong? :confused:

I was drooling as I was following the live blogs. It's chock-full of major new things. Does another mobile OS have that "something" that seems to be missing for you from iOS? Just curious.

SixSlinger
Jun 11, 2012, 03:44 PM
Oh geez.....this is very very slick. I'm impressed as hell and I would guess most of ya'll will be too. Everything feels MUCH faster and looks more refined (IMO). Maps is a jaw dropper.

billchase2
Jun 11, 2012, 03:45 PM
I seem to be having Wi-Fi issues on my new iPad. It connects to my home network, but nothing actually works. I "forgot" the network and that didn't seem to fix it. Rebooted numerous times and still nothing.

Thoughts?

Brammy
Jun 11, 2012, 03:46 PM
Apple wants you to junk your (less than 3 year) old device and buy a new shiny one

I have both an iPad 1 and and iPad 2, with them not offering iOS 6 for iPad 1, I damn well wont buy an iPad 3, and maybe not an iPad 4

If I had to guess, they had to make enough technical compromises on the original iPad that iOS 6 isn't worth getting it to run. It could be the low memory compared to newer iPads as well as the lack of cameras, etc. Safari performance on the original iPad has always been substandard, IMO.

It's hard to compare the iPad 1 with the 3GS. The iPad 1 was a first relase device before Apple even knew how it would be used. The 3GS was a 3rd Rev device that they were able to squeek more performance out of.

I know that it's easy to go "Apple is just out for the money," but compared to other companies, their OS's have been very backwards compatible.

isoft7
Jun 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
Oh geez.....this is very very slick. I'm impressed as hell and I would guess most of ya'll will be too. Everything feels MUCH faster and looks more refined (IMO). Maps is a jaw dropper.

Feels good finally having something Android users have already grown tired of. lol

praktical
Jun 11, 2012, 03:48 PM
There is a reason they made it available for the 3GS. Apple now can get more map data from more iPhone users.

spot on with this fact. i do think that there are quite a bit more in terms of monitoring users contained within this new iOS

Justin Chad

if you wanna hook em up with a spot that always cool:)

gforce216
I'm a new developer from earlier in the year, but any reason why my iOS 6 SDK tab is greyed out on the developer portal? I can get to iOS 5 but not 6.

Thanks.

APlotdevice
Sweet. I have little doubt that a comprehensive list of features will be posted by someone with access to the beta fairly soon.

FearlessFreep
OK, anyone know how to correct the P1 access denied error?

I think it has something to do with accepting the new terms but I don't get prompted for that anywhere . . .

EDIT:

And when I go to 'Legal Documents' the new terms are listed.

sfwalter
Jun 11, 2012, 03:49 PM
I'm a new developer from earlier in the year, but any reason why my iOS 6 SDK tab is greyed out on the developer portal? I can get to iOS 5 but not 6.

Thanks.

You need accept the new terms.

gforce216
Jun 11, 2012, 03:51 PM
You need accept the new terms.

Where do I accept the new terms?

petsounds
Jun 11, 2012, 03:51 PM

As a developer, I was really hoping for a SiriKit API that would enable app-integration into Siri. This may still come out in the developer sessions. But as far as the consumer-facing features of iOS6, I think has a lot more wows than iOS5 did. Though I do not like Facebook being plastered all over the OS.

blizaine
Jun 11, 2012, 03:53 PM
my iPad 3rd gen is not activating either. Pasted the code right from Xcode and even tried to register it right from Xcode... no go.

SixSlinger
Jun 11, 2012, 03:54 PM
Where do I accept the new terms?

You should have a text box towards the top of the screen in the iOS Dev Center. It's highlighted in light yellow.

manjaap
Jun 11, 2012, 03:55 PM
just wanted to let everyone know that because i was unable to activate iOS 6, i restored back to 5.1.1 and it worked

SixSlinger
my iPad 3rd gen is not activating either. Pasted the code right from Xcode and even tried to register it right from Xcode... no go.

ATT or VZW? My ATT just activated through iTunes. If you just registered it, it might take an hour or so

davids8477
Nothing to the ATV - disappointed :(

blizaine
Jun 11, 2012, 03:56 PM
ATT or VZW? My ATT just activated through iTunes. If you just registered it, it might take an hour or so

Mines ATT also. I'll try again.

pmz
Jun 11, 2012, 03:57 PM
Can't seem to activate my iPad (3rd Generation)...message states activation server is temporarily available. I'll try again a bit later

Same issue here...

Don't want to try my phone until this clear up

ItsGavinC
Jun 11, 2012, 03:57 PM
For those having activation issues, try just doing an update from iTunes (instead of restore). No need to sync your media back on after doing it either. Worked well for me. Entire process took about 4 minutes from start to finish.

bboucher790
Jun 11, 2012, 03:59 PM
So, figured I'd put in my two cents. This is how I see it:

The reason the 3GS is still being supported, is because it is still being sold. Apple wants to support a product they are currently selling, makes sense.

I hear people commenting on how powerful each device is, but that's only half the problem. You can't compare the 3GS's specs to the 4's. The 4 / 4S need more processing to power the retina display. The 3GS doesn't have to work as hard as the 4, to get the same level of performance. This is why users didn't see a huge performance increase when they switched from the 3GS > 4. This is also a reason they are able to support the 3GS. Anything the 4 can do, the 3GS can do.

The removal of the iPad 1 support is a business decision to persuade customers to buy another iPad.

AppleGuesser
Jun 11, 2012, 04:00 PM
I was drooling as I was following the live blogs. It's chock-full of major new things. Does another mobile OS have that "something" that seems to be missing for you from iOS? Just curious.

I was just hoping for (let me put this very carefully) a few more widgets to the notification center, or widgets i could download from the App Store. That, and a little better lockscreen. I usually jailbreak my iDevices for the customized lockscreen. I guess i shouldnt be so down on iOS 6 for not having that, guess i did just have to high of hopes.

As a developer, I was really hoping for a SiriKit API that would enable app-integration into Siri. This may still come out in the developer sessions. But as far as the consumer-facing features of iOS6, I think has a lot more wows than iOS5 did. Though I do not like Facebook being plastered all over the OS.

Siri did impress me, especially with the ability to use 3rd party apps. I am sure Apple will be getting a SiriKit API out to you all soon, i hope :D And i agree, Facebook is something i dont really care for much :D

SixSlinger
Jun 11, 2012, 04:01 PM
for those having activation issues, try just doing an update from itunes (instead of restore). No need to sync your media back on after doing it either. Worked well for me. Entire process took about 4 minutes from start to finish.

x2

ghostbuster
Jun 11, 2012, 04:02 PM
I can't restore or update with iOS 6 on my iPhone 4S. I downloaded iTunes 10.6.3 and the iOS 6 beta from the developer center but when I try to alt+click and then pick the iOS 6 beta dmg file, all files are greyed out...

Do I need Mountain Lion for this maybe? I'm running 10.7.4.

Xtremespirit319
Jun 11, 2012, 04:02 PM
Anyones Map's not working at all?

Antoni Nygaard
Jun 11, 2012, 04:04 PM
I can't restore or update with iOS 6 on my iPhone 4S. I downloaded iTunes 10.6.3 and the iOS 6 beta from the developer center but when I try to alt+click and then pick the iOS 6 beta dmg file, all files are greyed out...

Do I need Mountain Lion for this maybe? I'm running 10.7.4.

unpack it first and you will get a ipsw file

pmz
Jun 11, 2012, 04:05 PM
I was just hoping for (let me put this very carefully) a few more widgets

I really wish you people would just go away. We've been hearing this since iOS 1

bbqryan
Jun 11, 2012, 04:08 PM
what's the file size for the 4s ipsw?

naveah
Jun 11, 2012, 04:09 PM
Anyones Map's not working at all?

Well, I think turn-by-turn navigation and flyover mode are only available with iPhone 4S+ and iPad (latest generation)+.

I really wished Apple would've at least included turn-by-turn navigation on the iPhone 4/3GS. Navigon, Waze, Mapquest have all had this feature (even on the 3GS), so obviously it's not an issue of processing capacity. Just a business decision on Apple's part; they're in business to make money, after all -- can't blame them too much, I guess.

KikoPT

this! :/

ghostbuster
unpack it first and you will get a ipsw file

Thank you! (i'm stupid) I've done this before. Must be the excitement. =)

ItsGavinC
Yeah, unpack the file so you can choose it.

Also, here at work we have some older version of iTunes. Not even 10.6. I didn't upgrade it at all (thought I might have to) and the UPDATE option worked great.

Xtremespirit319
Jun 11, 2012, 04:11 PM
Well, I think turn-by-turn navigation and flyover mode are only available with iPhone 4S+ and iPad (latest generation)+.

I really wished Apple would've at least included turn-by-turn navigation on the iPhone 4/3GS. Navigon, Waze, Mapquest have all had this feature (even on the 3GS), so obviously it's not an issue of processing capacity. Just a business decision on Apple's part; they're in business to make money, after all -- can't blame them too much, I guess.

I don't even get a map. Everything else is fine. Location is fine. Just the grid without a map

sfwalter
Jun 11, 2012, 04:11 PM
Same issue here...

Don't want to try my phone until this clear up

amen! Im doing a restore back to iOS 5.x. I had to put my iPad in DFU mode to do it. The restore is going in right now (3 minutes left). After that I'm going to try simply press the check for software updates button. Apparently that has worked for a few folks.

KikoPT
Jun 11, 2012, 04:12 PM
The removal of the iPad 1 support is a business decision to persuade customers to buy another iPad.

I think so also ... i think i probably will be ditching me iPads just because of this ...

Humbert22
Jun 11, 2012, 04:13 PM
Anyone test Siri in spanish pls

sfwalter
Jun 11, 2012, 04:16 PM
x2

Do you mean that you simply pressed the "Check for Update" button in iTunes? If so I did that and I get the message that 5.1.1 is the current version.

naveah
Jun 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
I don't even get a map. Everything else is fine. Location is fine. Just the grid without a map

Hmm, this is interesting. Are you able to connect to the Internet? (You probably are, since you said location is fine, but just wanted to make sure.)

ItsGavinC
Jun 11, 2012, 04:18 PM
No, not the check for updates button. Just download the new file and then Control-click "UPDATE" in iTunes and choose the file. It's a beta so checking for updates won't do anything.

jonnysods
Jun 11, 2012, 04:18 PM
I'm just waiting for my restore to finish, and my device will be ready. Wonder what it runs like on my iPhone 4. Wish it had Siri!

sfwalter
Jun 11, 2012, 04:19 PM
No, not the check for updates button. Just download the new file and then Control-click "UPDATE" in iTunes and choose the file. It's a beta so checking for updates won't do anything.

Ahh when I did the install the first time. I option-clicked on restore, will try to do an option-click on check for updates instead.

illjazz
Jun 11, 2012, 04:21 PM
Everything worked beautifully here. Up and running iOS 6 on my iPhone 4S. No hiccups at all so far. Seems very stable. Also noticed a bug, though:

SIRI IS GONE. Completely. When I long-hold the home button, I get the old Voice Control. The way it was before Siri. No mention of Siri anywhere in the settings, either. Poor Siri bit the digital dust in this beta... or is it just me?

shaunvis
Jun 11, 2012, 04:23 PM
Everything worked beautifully here. Up and running iOS 6 on my iPhone 4S. No hiccups at all so far. Seems very stable. Also noticed a bug, though:

SIRI IS GONE. Completely. When I long-hold the home button, I get the old Voice Control. The way it was before Siri. No mention of Siri anywhere in the settings, either. Poor Siri bit the digital dust in this beta... or is it just me?

You installed the 4s ipsw & not one of the 4 right?

ItsGavinC
Jun 11, 2012, 04:24 PM
My Siri works perfectly (the sports and movie stuff is pretty cool). I'm updating my iPad 3 right now as well. Updating, not restoring :)

Buschmaster
Jun 11, 2012, 04:26 PM
My New iPad's WiFi isn't working. And I don't have the 4G model. So that's not ideal... Might try and restore again and see if that helps.

ghostbuster
Anyone test Siri in spanish pls

Spanish Siri in Spain not working "En breve podrá utilizar esta función." spoken by the spanish Siri voice (which sucks btw)

petsounds
able to support the 3GS. Anything the 4 can do, the 3GS can do.

Technically this is incorrect. The 3GS does not have a gyroscope, so some of the Core Motion API is unavailable on that phone.

Henk Poley
Jun 11, 2012, 04:28 PM
I really wished Apple would've at least included turn-by-turn navigation on the iPhone 4/3GS.
I think they limit it to handsfree voice recognition, so.. Siri, so.. the new voice audio-filters in the iPhone 4S and new iPad.

illjazz
Jun 11, 2012, 04:33 PM
You installed the 4s ipsw & not one of the 4 right?

Yep. I just checked the filename of the downloaded file. Definitely contains "4s". Not sure what's up.

----------

Yep. I just checked the filename of the downloaded file. Definitely contains "4s". Not sure what's up.

I'm an idiot. Siri was nowhere because it's under Settings > General > Siri and set to "Off". I didn't know Siri was off by default. Is this normal? You'd think Apple would want this ON so when people first long-hold the home button, Siri would be right there and ready. Weird..

Also, I seem to remember a dedicated entry in main list under Settings >, with a purplish icon, for Siri, in iOS 5. Has this now moved under general in iOS 6 or am I missing something?

blesio
Jun 11, 2012, 04:34 PM
Come on, could anyone PM me the l i n k for 4s version please? imodz is taking sooo long :( please help out a Polish guy.... it's 11:33 PM over here and I would like to test this out before I go to sleep......
please, pretty please.....

sfwalter
My Siri works perfectly (the sports and movie stuff is pretty cool). I'm updating my iPad 3 right now as well. Updating, not restoring :)

Yes don't do what I did initially which was a restore. Do an update from iTunes. I have iOS 6 on my iPad 3, siri works great. However the 3d maps here in Dallas don't seem to show anything in 3d.

Buschmaster

----------

I'm an idiot. Siri was nowhere because it's under Settings > General > Siri and set to "Off". I didn't know Siri was off by default. Is this normal? You'd think Apple would want this ON so when people first long-hold the home button, Siri would be right there and ready. Weird..

Also, I seem to remember a dedicated entry in main list under Settings >, with a purplish icon, for Siri, in iOS 5. Has this now moved under general in iOS 6 or am I missing something?
My iPad had the option of if I wanted to use Siri as I was setting up the device. Same as location services and iCloud. Did yours not? Perhaps you skipped it out of excitement?

DocStone
Jun 11, 2012, 04:36 PM
My account will expire in about a week and I am waiting for my credit card replacement (stolen original). If my credit card (the only one I had) is not back in time for my renewal, will my testing devices be locked since I will have ios6 on it but a expired account? Should I just wait?

kirky29
Jun 11, 2012, 04:37 PM
I keep getting 'This device is not registered as part of the iPhone Dev Program. - If you are a member of the program, please register your device in the @@url@@.'

I am part of the dev program and my device is listed there....????
Any ideas?

entraik
Jun 11, 2012, 04:37 PM
can i go back to iOS 5.1.1 if I don't like iOS 6? lol

blesio
Jun 11, 2012, 04:40 PM
Probably you can, it was always possible to go back from 5 to 4.3 while 5 was still in beta.

Xtremespirit319
Jun 11, 2012, 04:40 PM
Hmm, this is interesting. Are you able to connect to the Internet? (You probably are, since you said location is fine, but just wanted to make sure.)

Yea Nada...no map whatsoever

CylonGlitch
Jun 11, 2012, 04:41 PM
I think they limit it to handsfree voice recognition, so.. Siri, so.. the new voice audio-filters in the iPhone 4S and new iPad.

Turn by turn works on my iPhone4.

alexpriest
Jun 11, 2012, 04:42 PM
Does anybody know which download option I should go for for a new iPad cellular version which was bought in the UK? It seems there isn't a GSM version for the new iPad but there is for the iPad 2? Thanks!

petsounds
Jun 11, 2012, 04:43 PM
can i go back to iOS 5.1.1 if I don't like iOS 6? lol

No. Read the beta instructions. You cannot downgrade to iOS5.

entraik
Jun 11, 2012, 04:44 PM
but apple signs iOS 5.1.1 so how wouldn't it be possible? i don't understand lol

ghostbuster
Jun 11, 2012, 04:45 PM
Yea Nada...no map whatsoever

Same thing happened to me. I only saw "the grid". Then after about 5 seconds the maps started showing up. I'm on a Wifi with a 100Mbit connection though.

blesio
Jun 11, 2012, 04:45 PM
please guys, have mercy on me... can anyone pm me the link for 4s version please....

bryanmanning
Jun 11, 2012, 04:47 PM
Access Denied :mad:

AppleGuesser
Jun 11, 2012, 04:48 PM
I really wish you people would just go away. We've been hearing this since iOS 1

Really, "you people"?? Thanks man, im glad you can generalize and stereotype. I'd say something stereotypical about you too but i will refrain Sir. On that note, widgets are on ios 5, how about a widget that displays music with name of the song, artist, album art work, and music controls with volume. Or how about toggle 3G, bluetooth, etc. Im not asking for an Android or Windows widget set up, just a few more widgets that would make my user experience a little bit better :D

sfwalter

When I initially did an upgrade on my iPad 3 I chose the restore option (which was the wrong way to go). My iPad was pretty much bricked so I put my device into DFU mode and was able to restore back down to 5.1.1 even though Apples own website said you can't.

I then installed iOS 6 beta through an update instead of a restore and everything was peachy.

MacDevil7334

I'm pretty sure Apple has put that in the beta instructions for every major iOS release. It's technically true since upgrading will also update your baseband firmware. If you tried to downgrade, you would get an iTunes error on restore (I think it is 1600, the one for when firmware and baseband versions don't match). If you have an older device (iPhone 4 or earlier), you should be able to kick it out of recovery with TinyUmbrella or redsn0w. Not sure about later devices though.

Also, iPod touches and wifi only iPads should be able to downgrade without any problem since they have no baseband software to update and Apple is definitely still signing 5.1.1.

Just my thoughts. YMMV

Tonewheel
Everything seems to work very well.

However, I am VERY disappointed with the quality of Siri's voice. It's a big step down from the clarity of iOS 5.1. She sounds muffled as though the treble has been dropped way down, and, she sounds as if she has a stuffy nose...very nasal-like.

Xtremespirit319
Same thing happened to me. I only saw "the grid". Then after about 5 seconds the maps started showing up. I'm on a Wifi with a 100Mbit connection though.

On wifi here at work and nothing. :mad: maybe it will work at home :(

rhymeandreasons
added my UDID almost 2 hours ago and still says its not on the list. any idea how long it should take to show up?

CylonGlitch
Jun 11, 2012, 04:52 PM
On my iPhone4, the colors for the photos and the HDR coloring seems to be MUCH better than in iOS5.

Mugs
Jun 11, 2012, 04:53 PM
Hi there. I renewed my developer ID straight away after the announcement, now when I try and download the new software it says access denied, gives me error P1. Anyone know the problem?

Henk Poley
Jun 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
When I initially did an upgrade on my iPad 3 I chose the restore option (which was the wrong way to go). My iPad was pretty much bricked so I put my device into DFU mode and was able to restore back down to 5.1.1 even though Apples own website said you can't.
WiFi or 4G model? Though even the cellular version should have baseband signing to allow for downgrades. But there could be a difference between the two.

Apollo 13
Jun 11, 2012, 04:55 PM

You get siri speech also?

ghostface147
Jun 11, 2012, 04:56 PM
Everything seems to work very well.

However, I am VERY disappointed with the quality of Siri's voice. It's a big step down from the clarity of iOS 5.1. She sounds muffled as though the treble has been dropped way down, and, she sounds as if she has a stuffy nose...very nasal-like.

Maybe because it's a beta product on a beta iOS version.

Henk Poley
Jun 11, 2012, 04:56 PM
Odd, since Apple states: "Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later."
Src: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/maps/

finalcut
Jun 11, 2012, 04:57 PM
About the time where most people on this forum wish they had developer accounts.Just buy one. No need to actually develop something hehe

sfwalter
Jun 11, 2012, 04:58 PM
Is it just me or is San Fran the only city with 3d mapping working? I tried NYC Empire State building and it doesn't have the same 3d effect that San Fran has.

Tonewheel
Jun 11, 2012, 05:00 PM
Maybe because it's a beta product on a beta iOS version.

Obviously. Ya think?

a1exey1azar
Jun 11, 2012, 05:00 PM

Yes, you can. Download Xcode45-DP1 and you will able to upgrade or downgrade both ways. Just did it 3 times. Have Activation issues, and according to Developer's support they are all out till June 16th due to today's "Give us your money" show

Apollo 13
Jun 11, 2012, 05:02 PM
Odd, since Apple states: "Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later."

That's damn lame...minds well stick with ios 5 and keep google maps.

CylonGlitch
Jun 11, 2012, 05:04 PM
You get siri speech also?

So far, no voice.

kevkev106
Jun 11, 2012, 05:08 PM
Im a noob here but w/o a developer account I can't install ios6 on my iPhone or iPad today?

e-mail: kevkev106@yahoo.com

a1exey1azar
Jun 11, 2012, 05:12 PM
Im a noob here but w/o a developer account I can't install ios6 on my iPhone or iPad today?

You can, you are not going to be able to activate the device thou.

pixelshaders
Jun 11, 2012, 05:13 PM
What's the file size of these new firmware?

DocStone

I am afraid not. That said, it will be out this fall so hang in there.

bushido
has anyone tried siri yet? did the language recognition get improved? because right now it doesnt understand english words when i set it to german which is a real pain in the ass if you try to change a song and would be even worse for the new movie feature i imagine.

like if i set siri to german and say "spiele ein lied von justin timberlake" it will come up with all kind of funny german words that sound like justin timberlake

Magnum Opus
Jun 11, 2012, 05:15 PM
working almost flawlessly on my 3GS, amazing.

IphonePA
Jun 11, 2012, 05:17 PM
Hi there. I renewed my developer ID straight away after the announcement, now when I try and download the new software it says access denied, gives me error P1. Anyone know the problem?

Called Apple, depends on when you accepted the new terms and agreements. Can be up to 24 hours before you will be granted access to the iOS6 beta. Found this interesting since I'm an existing developer with registered devices.

Nikos
Jun 11, 2012, 05:18 PM
3D maps don't seem to be working in NYC either.

Stanjara
Jun 11, 2012, 05:23 PM
What features are missing in 3gs?

moderngamenewb
Jun 11, 2012, 05:24 PM
Or they'll just called it iTunes X and rev it up. (kidding)

Or how about "The New iTunes" LOL

Dionte

I'm so tempted to renew mine, it expired on the 6th.

psxp
Fall

Autumn for British english speakers ;)

Ironduke
Jun 11, 2012, 05:27 PM
Your iPad could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable

anyone else getting this?

blizaine
Jun 11, 2012, 05:31 PM
Your iPad could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable

lots of people. Myself included.

sfwalter
Jun 11, 2012, 05:33 PM

Yes did you a restore or update from iTunes?

Ironduke
Jun 11, 2012, 05:33 PM
lots of people. Myself included.

good i like to suffer in numbers:cool:

revlisoft
Jun 11, 2012, 05:34 PM
I keep getting 'This device is not registered as part of the iPhone Dev Program. - If you are a member of the program, please register your device in the @@url@@.'

I am part of the dev program and my device is listed there....????
Any ideas?

I'm getting the same even though I'm part of the dev program. My carrier is Sprint. I did a restore and not an update.

Dionte
Jun 11, 2012, 05:34 PM
My account will expire in about a week and I am waiting for my credit card replacement (stolen original). If my credit card (the only one I had) is not back in time for my renewal, will my testing devices be locked since I will have ios6 on it but a expired account? Should I just wait?

I don't think so, I've been on an expired account in the past.

Larsennet
Jun 11, 2012, 05:36 PM
Did they fix audiobooks so they display the chapters properly? They broke this in I believe 5.1.

Ironduke
Jun 11, 2012, 05:43 PM

yes alt and update

rexilla
Jun 11, 2012, 05:47 PM

I ran a restore and keep getting the activation failure. How do I 'update' from iTunes? When I connect the iPad to my Mac, iTunes simply displays an iPad logo where it would usually give me the iPad info. (see attached image)

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B48P98Lc7eoMd3FMY19RWTJDS0k

a1exey1azar
Jun 11, 2012, 05:54 PM
I ran a restore and keep getting the activation failure. How do I 'update' from iTunes? When I connect the iPad to my Mac, iTunes simply displays an iPad logo where it would usually give me the iPad info. (see attached image)

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B48P98Lc7eoMd3FMY19RWTJDS0k

Hit "alt/options" button and click update in iTunes.... Thou it will not solve your activation problem. I was on the phone with both developer support and apple care - their activation servers down for at least 24 hours.

DocStone
Jun 11, 2012, 06:02 PM
I don't think so, I've been on an expired account in the past.

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.

----------

Yep.

onicon
Jun 11, 2012, 06:04 PM
Activation just started working again for me. :-)

andybno1
Jun 11, 2012, 06:04 PM
I'm getting (despite my device being already added to iOS Provisioning portal) your device is not registered as a developer device..... worked fine during iOS 5 beta

icianom
Jun 11, 2012, 06:05 PM
Added my 4S to my dev account an hour ago and am getting a "Device is not registered as part of the iPhone Developer Programme" but it is!

Any ideas?

EDIT: Never mind! It's ok!

GorgonPhone
Jun 11, 2012, 06:06 PM
this boring update will be jailbroken in 2 months ...lol

ramkla007
Jun 11, 2012, 06:08 PM
I'm getting (despite my device being already added to iOS Provisioning portal) your device is not registered as a developer device..... worked fine during iOS 5 beta

Keep trying. I got thru after couple of hours.

CylonGlitch
Jun 11, 2012, 06:17 PM

It has turn by turn. It has been significantly upgraded since iOS5. What they did was to make it look just like the iPhone4s Turn by Turn but instead you have to swipe from one location to another. No voice, just new graphics.

Also looks like 3D is not enabled on the 4 vs the 4s. I noticed with the Maps app comes up it has the button for 3D but then disappears.

Another feature :
In mail, you can pull down to update. It has a little update button (circle) but as you pull down it stretches.

(oops gotta run)

kirky29
Jun 11, 2012, 06:21 PM
Managed to *finally* activate!

It's restoring from an iCloud backup now! Knew I should have deleted those 1gb+ videos and re-backed up.....!

Gjwilly
Jun 11, 2012, 06:48 PM
Updated my iPhone 4 and maps is working with turn-by-turn directions so I guess you don't need a 4S for that.
Don't know about voice prompts yet cuz I'm not actually driving.
Street-view maps for contacts are gone, of course.
:(
Now you just get a satellite view.
Kinda neat but not too helpful.

naveah
Jun 11, 2012, 06:50 PM

Isn't that interesting. Did you install the version for iPhone 4S (or did you install the version for iPhone 4)? Does Siri also work on your phone?

Rocko1
Jun 11, 2012, 07:07 PM
old I damn well wont buy an iPad 3, and maybe not an iPad 4
Yes you will. Once you are done pouting.

rever3nce
Jun 11, 2012, 07:10 PM
working great on my "backup" iphone4s . not too bugy at all. only thing I found so far is , when in a call, if you put the phone away from your ear, the screen still stays black. just gotta push home button.

has anybody done this on their ipad? I wanna do it to mine , but I use mine for work all the time and don't wanna risk anything

kemo
Jun 11, 2012, 07:32 PM
does any1 have an idea why I just cant restore iOS6 on the new iPad with 4G (bought in Europe), I have tried both the iPad 3,2 & iPad 3,3 ipsw file :( (I've DEV acc btw).

it says "ipad could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible".

Thank you!

xero9
Jun 11, 2012, 07:39 PM
I've upgraded to iOS6, and have now restored back to 5.1.1.

Personally I'm not the biggest fan of the new Maps app. I guess I'm a little peeved that Flyover and turn-by-turn are only available on the 4S. No reason why turn-by-turn can't work.. Especially if TomTom runs on it.

No traffic data yet either, but of course without turn-by-turn, that's a bit useless.

The DND feature is kind of neat, but this year it's not worth the upgrade game every beta for the features it offers.

Perhaps its time to do as Apple wants and trade up the old 4 for the next gen iPhone when it's released.

Anyone else slightly disappointed? Don't get me wrong, iOS is great, and I'm completely happy with 5. Was just hoping for a LITTLE more.. Like push mail on ANY account.

mklnz
Jun 11, 2012, 07:43 PM
No more street view kind of sucks... I'm not a fan of the new maps app at all apart from turn by turn.

Google showed building numbers also, which the new maps app lacks.

GIZBUG
Jun 11, 2012, 07:43 PM
Probably will never use the maps/navigation app. I'll download Google Maps, and use WAZE which is free for my GPS. So this "map" issue people are talking about won't bother me a bit.

DankNugz
Jun 11, 2012, 07:48 PM
There is a bluetooth toggle now right under the wifi settings in Settings.

QuarterSwede
Jun 11, 2012, 07:54 PM
There is a bluetooth toggle now right under the wifi toggle in Settings.
That's a step forward at least. Thanks for the heads up!

bedifferent
Jun 11, 2012, 08:05 PM
Anyone else slightly disappointed? Don't get me wrong, iOS is great, and I'm completely happy with 5. Was just hoping for a LITTLE more.. Like push mail on ANY account.

I'm more than slightly disappointed, in everything announced and I had low expectations. Mobile devices upgraded with Ivy Bridge, iOS 6 is meh, and desktops systems have had new parts for a while but no upgrades.

Apple: Let's neglect the Mac Pro for a few years, sell it with 2009 parts at the same price point but bump up the standard RAM. Businesses and high end professionals lose faith and interest in Apple's prosumer line, sales drop, then claim Mac Pro sales drops are due to a "post-PC era" and cut the line. Yeah, makes sense. :rolleyes:

Nothing in iOS 6 seems interesting to me, at least OS X 10.8 added "All Windows" Exposé with Mission Control's option to uncheck "Group windows by application". Beyond that, mobile devices and iOS f**kery seem more important to Apple.

If Apple truly believes we're in a "post-PC era", think it's time for a post Apple era.

DribbleCastle
Jun 11, 2012, 08:59 PM
If my developer account expired a few days ago, will my previously registered UDID's still work? Anyone have any prior experience with this situation?

Gjwilly
Jun 11, 2012, 09:13 PM
Looks like Yelp is Apple's answer to Street View.
If a map location has a Yelp review you'll get a slide show of the Yelp pictures where the Street View used to be.

javaGuru
Jun 11, 2012, 09:17 PM

I have been following someone's twitter account from cnet and he said his camera was no longer working after iOS 6. Are you experiencing the same problem? Did you set up your iPhone as a new phone or did you do a restore?

Gjwilly
Jun 11, 2012, 09:31 PM
Only problem I've noticed so far is that Find Friends crashes when trying to bring up the actual map view.
It finds the address just fine -- just wont display the map.

That and a few of the buttons within the App Store aren't rendering properly.

DankNugz
Jun 11, 2012, 09:31 PM
I cant figure out how to use Passbook. Am I missing something?

imaginex20
Jun 11, 2012, 09:53 PM

same problem here. how is this even used? maybe its not ready as of yet

----------

safari full screen mode rocks!!! Do not disturb has a schedule setting so i can set at the times I sleep at! small subtle updates that rock!

Brammy
Jun 11, 2012, 09:59 PM

It's like newsstand. Apps need to be written for it.

Dionte
Jun 11, 2012, 10:08 PM
If my developer account expired a few days ago, will my previously registered UDID's still work? Anyone have any prior experience with this situation?

I am about to see on my iPad, mine expired on the 6th, I'll let you know, wish me luck lol

eochs
Jun 11, 2012, 10:14 PM
maps crashes on my iPad 2 wifi when trying to type into the search box... works fine if i choose a bookmarked location... meh

dejo
Jun 11, 2012, 10:15 PM
It's like newsstand. Apps need to be written for it.

They do? Do you have a link to how this works then?

Brammy
Jun 11, 2012, 10:22 PM
They do? Do you have a link to how this works then?

They go into it more on the keynote, but this is the link to the Apple site. http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/#passbook

ItsGavinC
Jun 11, 2012, 10:27 PM
Managed to *finally* activate!

It's restoring from an iCloud backup now! Knew I should have deleted those 1gb+ videos and re-backed up.....!

No, you should have just updated instead of restoring, then you wouldn't have lost any media at all. Entire upgrade process on my 4S was 4 minutes, and my iPad was 6 minutes.

Gjwilly
Jun 11, 2012, 11:05 PM
It has turn by turn. It has been significantly upgraded since iOS5. What they did was to make it look just like the iPhone4s Turn by Turn but instead you have to swipe from one location to another. No voice, just new graphics.

You don't need to swipe.
You can if you want but if you tap the compass icon to turn on the GPS sync, then it will auto-advance to the next location.
It happens very late into the next route section but it does eventually advance.
Least it does for me on my iPhone 4.
For me it seems to advance exactly halfway into the next route section.
If it says make a left in 1 mile and then a right in 1 mile it will advance a 1/2 mile after you've made the turn. Problem is that the instruction won't change to reflect the fact that you've already driven 1/2 a mile. It will still say 1 mile.
Hopefully this improves as the betas progress.

Macclone
Jun 11, 2012, 11:16 PM
Really, "you people"?? Thanks man, im glad you can generalize and stereotype. I'd say something stereotypical about you too but i will refrain Sir. On that note, widgets are on ios 5, how about a widget that displays music with name of the song, artist, album art work, and music controls with volume. Or how about toggle 3G, bluetooth, etc. Im not asking for an Android or Windows widget set up, just a few more widgets that would make my user experience a little bit better :D

Widgets are lame. Gee, I must have weather widget because clicking the weather app is to hard for me. I must track stocks even though I don't invest. MAJOR FAIL APPLE!!!

Blah, blah, blah.

onthecouchagain
Jun 11, 2012, 11:18 PM
Can anyone comment on whether the keyboard has seen any upgrades or improvements to it at all?

Would greatly appreciate it.

cviebrock
Jun 11, 2012, 11:33 PM
Can anyone confirm if the new Safari can handle vCards ... i.e., import them into your contacts? As an example (and I'm sure he'll love me for this), try this link:

http://neilcrosby.com/vcard/?vcf=1

antibact1
Jun 11, 2012, 11:35 PM
Any new features with the AppleTV?

moderngamenewb
Jun 12, 2012, 12:06 AM
I just hope that the new maps app will have distance time for walking. It better have that feature, as I use the walking route a lot up at school, and it's really helpful not only for the directions, but how much time it'll take me to get somewhere

Burntfender
Jun 12, 2012, 12:18 AM
The reason Apple is keeping support for the 3GS is because technically they still sell it as a new phone. It has nothing to do with specs over the 1st gen iPad, its simply because people would kick up more of a fuss if their "brand new Phone" is just like that no longer supported, not to mention what it would to do 3GS future sales (which will probably only be a couple of more months but still).
Not sure of this has been mentioned yet, so sorry if it has.

emptyspaces
Jun 12, 2012, 12:18 AM
New downloads and updates no longer close the store and kick you back out to the springboard. This had bugged me forever.

TrickyTree1984
Jun 12, 2012, 12:43 AM
Autumn for British english speakers ;)

That should just read English speakers.

mikelegacy
Jun 12, 2012, 01:13 AM
Just finished installing iOS 6 on my developer device.

God, the new maps app looks so amazing on the new OS. Too bad my test device is an iPhone 4, so I can't test the new Siri stuff.

Still, maps alone was worth it. Damn, this is so sleek.

----------

does any1 have an idea why I just cant restore iOS6 on the new iPad with 4G (bought in Europe), I have tried both the iPad 3,2 & iPad 3,3 ipsw file :( (I've DEV acc btw).

it says "ipad could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible".

Thank you!

Is your device Provisioned to be a developer device? You have to add that device to a provisioning profile in the xCode organizer before you can install the iOS 6 update.

I wouldn't advise putting it on a personal device, however. At least not until a more stable release.

Bamhour
Jun 12, 2012, 01:25 AM
Any chance of some updates to IMessage? The group chat I got going gets really annoying sometimes!

Abbas
Jun 12, 2012, 02:09 AM
How log did it take for you guys to be able to activate the iPhone after putting the ID on Apple's servers? Its been 3 hours but still get the message that device is not registered in iPhone Dev Program

T4R06
Jun 12, 2012, 02:18 AM
What is this whining is all about? Do you know the word "beta"??? 6 is better than 5! iOS 5 already has a lot of revision and this 6 is just released only for devs.. ****ing people..

Nintendolinky
Jun 12, 2012, 02:24 AM
Is the baseband updated for the iPhone 4S with this beta, only asking as if I update, I don't want any issues if I want to downgrade.

BillyBobBongo
Jun 12, 2012, 03:14 AM
Is the baseband updated for the iPhone 4S with this beta, only asking as if I update, I don't want any issues if I want to downgrade.

The developer notes state that once you upgrade to iOS6, you cannot go back to iOS5.

Solublepeter
Jun 12, 2012, 03:50 AM

Yes, you need to accept the new developer agreement first.

kemo
Jun 12, 2012, 04:01 AM
The developer notes state that once you upgrade to iOS6, you cannot go back to iOS5.

I did restore to iOS 6 yesterday on my iPhone 4S and I could not load an iCloud backup into it, so I did reverted it back to iOS 5.1.1 without any issues. So you CAN go back.

----------

I did downgrade yesterday on iPhone 4S without zero issues.

DrSD
Jun 12, 2012, 04:05 AM
Just finished installing iOS 6 on my developer device.

God, the new maps app looks so amazing on the new OS. Too bad my test device is an iPhone 4, so I can't test the new Siri stuff.

Still, maps alone was worth it. Damn, this is so sleek.

3D maps are only available in US or not available on iphone 4?

Cause i am here in Melbourne everytime i open the map app it shows 3D for a sec and thats about it .
Rest maps is absolutely awful . Reason being i m on iphone or Australia don't have 3D ?

Nintendolinky
Jun 12, 2012, 05:14 AM
Thanks a lot but was the baseband upgraded. I'm only asking as I want to know before I upgrade, also what was the reason for downgrading. Thanks.

blesio
Jun 12, 2012, 06:35 AM
The baseband on 4s was upgraded to 2.8.01.

Gjwilly
Jun 12, 2012, 07:52 AM
Can anyone comment on whether the keyboard has seen any upgrades or improvements to it at all?

Nothing noticeable on the iPhone 4.

I just hope that the new maps app will have distance time for walking. It better have that feature, as I use the walking route a lot up at school, and it's really helpful not only for the directions, but how much time it'll take me to get somewhere

Walking times are still there but not the bus routes.
Clicking on the Bus icon looks like it tries to load the App Store to search for routing programs but the App Store doesn't actually load.
Hopefully bus routes gets added back in.

And in my area, the maps are nowhere near as detailed as the Google maps.
There's a wetlands that I cross every day and the Apple maps shows it as just one big green area.
In Google Maps it would show every little sand bar and inlet.
Streets are also a lot harder to see/read on the Apple maps. Not enough contrast between the white of the street and beige of the background.
Like wise with the new violet compass icon.
Not enough contrast between the violet for on and the black for off.

eidling
Jun 12, 2012, 08:49 AM
Very tempting but I'll wait for the public release this fall.
Doesn't the post say it's included? Or is that just so it can function alongside the mirroring from ios6 devices?

kirky29
Jun 12, 2012, 09:15 AM
Any word on the activation issues? My 4S managed to get through last night, but the iPad 3 just won't have it......

Some people keep saying the servers are down, is this true?

Shannighan
Jun 12, 2012, 09:42 AM
Is anybody else having problems with Maps and Bluetooth? Bluetooth won't stay connected to my car- it connects, and then within seconds disconnects and then reconnects... continuously. Also, when I go to do a search in Maps it crashes.

DribbleCastle
Jun 12, 2012, 10:00 AM
I am about to see on my iPad, mine expired on the 6th, I'll let you know, wish me luck lol

How did things pan out?

josielinnea
Jun 12, 2012, 11:00 AM
Just wanted to say this again to everyone who missed it -

if you restore to iOS 6 with a valid dev account but get the message that your device is not registered with a developer accout, restore to 5.1.1 (with Xcode for example, free on the Mac App Store) and then when your on 5.1.1 go through iTunes and OPTION/ALT + CLICK on Check for Updates and choose your 6.0 ipsw. That is, OPTION/ALT+CLICK on UPDATE and not on restore like it says in the ****ing instructions.... this will let you activate 6.0 right away and not have to wait.

GBrooks
Jun 12, 2012, 02:14 PM
I'm so tempted to renew mine, it expired on the 6th.

Ours expired about 3 days ago i think! long process to get it back for some reason...

jtmarine73
Jun 12, 2012, 03:42 PM

Not sure why so many negatives on this. I'm actually quite upset about iOS6 not available for the first iPad. Let's put it like this.... they just stopped selling the first iPad less than 18 months ago, and 2 years ago it was the only iPad you can get. Now, it's obsolete!!! What the heck Apple!?!?!? I have a 3gs that can get the update but not my iPad. They did the same thing with iPhoto as well when the ipad 3 came out.

I buy apple products because they last, but they can't last if I can't get the updates. This is complete BS.:(

UCLAKoolman
Jun 12, 2012, 04:30 PM
Not sure why so many negatives on this. I'm actually quite upset about iOS6 not available for the first iPad. Let's put it like this.... they just stopped selling the first iPad less than 18 months ago, and 2 years ago it was the only iPad you can get. Now, it's obsolete!!! What the heck Apple!?!?!? I have a 3gs that can get the update but not my iPad. They did the same thing with iPhoto as well when the ipad 3 came out.

I buy apple products because they last, but they can't last if I can't get the updates. This is complete BS.:(

Does your iPad still function properly? It isn't going to suddenly stop working because it won't receive this update. It's over two years old now, time to either accept what you have or upgrade.

jtmarine73
Jun 12, 2012, 11:18 PM
Does your iPad still function properly? It isn't going to suddenly stop working because it won't receive this update. It's over two years old now, time to either accept what you have or upgrade.

O yes, you are right. Let me just go drop another $800 on another iPad to get software and features that my current iPad can run, but because apple says so, I can't have them. Its not that it stops working, it's that there are features that this device can run. And I hate to break it to you, but two years is not that old bud. O, and my THREE year old iPhone is getting the upgrade! My MacBook is 4 years old and yet somehow can keep upgrading to the newest OS. This is a result of apple screwing their customers, and the owners of the first iPad are the ones that gave them the ability to invest in new ones..... We are the exact customers that shouldn't be getting the shaft.

Dionte
Jun 13, 2012, 12:36 AM
How did things pan out?

I used the check for update option and it worked, I was holding my breath for a minute, it took a while.

Brammy
Jun 13, 2012, 08:50 AM
O yes, you are right. Let me just go drop another $800 on another iPad to get software and features that my current iPad can run, but because apple says so, I can't have them. Its not that it stops working, it's that there are features that this device can run. And I hate to break it to you, but two years is not that old bud. O, and my THREE year old iPhone is getting the upgrade! My MacBook is 4 years old and yet somehow can keep upgrading to the newest OS. This is a result of apple screwing their customers, and the owners of the first iPad are the ones that gave them the ability to invest in new ones..... We are the exact customers that shouldn't be getting the shaft.

The thing is, comparing the iPad one to any of Apple's other devices isn't a fair comparison. While the iPad may be close to the iPhone 3Gs for specs, the original iPad was never a stellar performaner due to the low ram for the size of the display. Safari was famous for reloading tabbed websites. Books created with iBooks author run like **** on the iPad 1.

I look at the iPad 1 in the same way as the original iPhone: it was a device that Apple created that they weren't really sure how it was going to be used once it was released. While the launch Keynote mentioned the iWork apps, it was clear that Apple considered the iPad 1 a content consumption device first, and a creation device second.

The launch keynote for the iPad 2 played up the creation angle more with Garageband and iMovie. The iPad 2 also has double the ram of the iPad 1, which, again, is important to help drive the display.

UCLAKoolman
Jun 13, 2012, 12:01 PM

I guess that's what happens when you beta test a 1st gen device. Sorry, but this is how Apple works. You either accept it, or stop buying their stuff.