PDA

View Full Version : iOS 6 - UK Region Discussion

EnzoAmata
Jun 11, 2012, 03:12 PM
After watching the keynote blogs, I'm wondering which parts of Siri will work within the UK, and will new turn by turn navigation work within the UK - if so I never noticed that announcement - there is of course a lot of focus talking about the US market.

Does anyone have more details on this?

TomAndrews
Jun 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
I hope so much that everything works in the UK! I say everything, i mean that i'm not too bothered about the 'passbook' as i doubt it would work very well in Britain, regardless of wether apple implemented it here. But turn-by-turn and the siri improvements would be most highly anticipated!

EnzoAmata
Jun 11, 2012, 03:30 PM
I hope so much that everything works in the UK! I say everything, i mean that i'm not too bothered about the 'passbook' as i doubt it would work very well in Britain, regardless of wether apple implemented it here. But turn-by-turn and the siri improvements would be most highly anticipated!

I think Passport will be left for shops to update their apps to use Passport, so there might be a few venders here that it might work with.

Macman45
Jun 11, 2012, 03:33 PM
From what I managed to digest from Engadget and MR coverage...Siri will have proper functionality under IOS6....I'm not sure about turn by turn though.

At least it should function broadly as it does back in the States.

EnzoAmata
Jun 11, 2012, 03:45 PM
Looks like TomTom will be helping with Apple Maps, so it's looking good for the UK users, so turn by turn might work here.

http://i48.tinypic.com/fm6slv.png

steveza
Jun 11, 2012, 03:50 PM
It does have voice prompts. I'm not sure if it is a full turn-by-turn system as I am at home and don't fancy going out in the rain to find out. I'll test it tomorrow morning.

Gatecrasher1875
Jun 11, 2012, 03:55 PM
I'm wondering if the new maps will work as well out with the major cities?

LastLine
Jun 11, 2012, 04:14 PM
I'm under NDA obviously as a developer but I will join in with some 'specualation'

I 'speculate' that Siri has location functions in the UK but gives some crazy distances - my nearest post office 'could be' 41 miles away if I listen to Siri.

I 'speculate' that if I'm using turn by turn directions which 'could' work in the UK that I can ask Siri to find me a petrol station en-route.

I 'speculate' that the satellite maps look kinda crap at the minute.

Macman45
Jun 11, 2012, 05:03 PM
I'm under NDA obviously as a developer but I will join in with some 'specualation'

I 'speculate' that Siri has location functions in the UK but gives some crazy distances - my nearest post office 'could be' 41 miles away if I listen to Siri.

I 'speculate' that if I'm using turn by turn directions which 'could' work in the UK that I can ask Siri to find me a petrol station en-route.

:D Thanks for your very informative and obviously unofficial "speculation"!

iShorty
Jun 11, 2012, 05:14 PM
I noticed in one of the overview feature list, it listed English Premier League which would indicate that Siri will have sports for the UK also.

cperchard
Jun 11, 2012, 05:17 PM
Does any1 know if the things that was initially USA only is now available in UK or not??

Macman45
Jun 11, 2012, 05:31 PM
Does any1 know if the things that was initially USA only is now available in UK or not??

Not now, no...When IOS6 comes out in the fall, then yes it seems Siri will work in the UK in much the same way as it does in the States.

LastLine
Jun 11, 2012, 05:57 PM
Not now, no...When IOS6 comes out in the fall, then yes it seems Siri will work in the UK in much the same way as it does in the States.
This would appear the case. I speculate it may not have fantastic data as my nearest pub isn't 41 miles away ;-)

EnzoAmata
Jun 11, 2012, 06:03 PM
Watching the keynote video that's been posted - Scott mentions, world wide search - so possible business search in the UK, and not Siri saying "Sorry I can only lok for business in the US"

shandyman
Jun 11, 2012, 06:12 PM

satellite maps under iOS6 is better for my area, as google maps only has 1 road built on my estate, dated about 7 years ago. Apple's Maps is within 6 months as there's a new painted roundabout that was built recently that i can see.

Shame no 3D around here yet, but that will populate as street view did.

Watching the keynote video that's been posted - Scott mentions, world wide search - so possible business search in the UK, and not Siri saying "Sorry I can only lok for business in the US"

business searches are working, but seems to be a bit off, i'm less than half a mile from a pub, it claims the nearest is 4 miles from me, there's about 7 between me and that pub, minimum lol

EnzoAmata
Jun 11, 2012, 06:19 PM
business searches are working, but seems to be a bit off, i'm less than half a mile from a pub, it claims the nearest is 4 miles from me, there's about 7 between me and that pub, minimum lol

Seems like Siri is also helping cut down local beer consumption too - lol

MacRumorUser
Jun 11, 2012, 06:20 PM
Can anyone nudge nudge wink wink me if Ireland is included with UK (usually UK & Ireland are lumped together) for Maps & Siri?

ste1164
Jun 11, 2012, 06:24 PM
The distances might be weird because i imagine siri will be using the new apple maps. Before it was using google maps. So there might be less businesses on the apple maps than google so it misses out your pub.

paulcdb
Jun 11, 2012, 09:14 PM
Can anyone nudge nudge wink wink me if Ireland is included with UK (usually UK & Ireland are lumped together) for Maps & Siri?

Well everything i've asked for so far has come up as being in dublin so i guess i'll be using the ferry a lot to come over there :p

RamboRab
Jun 11, 2012, 09:20 PM
The Tesco Clubcard app would be great for Passbook!

Macman45
Jun 11, 2012, 11:51 PM

I'd say that was a safe assumption.

camperdown9
Jun 12, 2012, 12:02 AM
Hi

Does anyone know what the new maps app is like for giving walking directions?

Alex

imacken
Jun 12, 2012, 02:01 AM
OT, I know, but has anyone here got The Times for iPad to work on iOS6?

dspalton
Jun 12, 2012, 02:36 AM
i am using my touch but i think the weather app has had its graphics smartened up.

also so far looking at it everything is a hell of alot crisper image wise

dave

MacRumorUser
Jun 12, 2012, 02:59 AM
Well everything i've asked for so far has come up as being in dublin so i guess i'll be using the ferry a lot to come over there :p

I'd say that was a safe assumption.

Thank you :)

MonkeySee....
Jun 12, 2012, 03:28 AM
With all these new features being talked about at the WWDC I was wondering what will happen to people outside the US.

In the UK we haven't even got the old features so I don't see how we will get the new ones?

I really like Siri but I want to use it a bit more.

I can't see on the Apple site if its going to be just US again?

*thanks for moving this post. Didn't see this thread :)

tirk
Jun 12, 2012, 04:24 AM

From the keynote & screen shots I've seen I think Apple expect walking to be handled via external apps. The (really) good news is that they have made the maps app open to external apps. I'm really quite excited about that!

[Edit]
yes it does give walking directions, no bus routes though

I'm really glad to be corrected on this!

rajravat
Jun 12, 2012, 05:26 AM
Since updating... the time is out by an hour (time zone bug?)

Siri returns local results from yelp for things like closest pizza place or pub.

I tried the turn by turn to work today, it worked pretty well, even in locations where I get no mobile signal, worked just as good as co-pilot/tomtom apps. One of the great things about it is that when you are out of the nav app, you get the bar at the top that says "tap to return to navigation" but when you are approaching a turn, it changes to an actual sign to say turn left in x yards.

There is a major bug in the turn by turn in the uk, on motorways, it asked me to exit right, when clearly it showed the exit was on the left. works fine on regularly roads though.

----------

Hi

Alex

Jedii
Jun 12, 2012, 05:27 AM
Yeah, not in the least interested in turn by turn navigation, or Siri. To me, personally utterly useless. Seriously, am i missing something regarding the novelty of picking up your phone and getting an app launched (?) Are people really impressed by this?

Referring back to the navigation, i can't be impressed by something which i can see and get for free in the AppStore.

MonkeySee....
Jun 12, 2012, 05:34 AM
Yeah, not in the least interested in turn by turn navigation, or Siri. To me, personally utterly useless. Seriously, am i missing something regarding the novelty of picking up your phone and getting an app launched (?) Are people really impressed by this?

Referring back to the navigation, i can't be impressed by something which i can see and get for free in the AppStore.

But this is powered by TomTom. There isn't a better sat nav out there IMHO.

I have the TomTom app and may sack it off if the stock one is good enough. More space on my poor ol 16GB 4S

8a22a
Jun 12, 2012, 05:38 AM
There is a major bug in the turn by turn in the uk, on motorways, it asked me to exit right, when clearly it showed the exit was on the left. works fine on regularly roads though.

Roundabout diagrams are the wrong way around as well.

Grayburn
Jun 12, 2012, 05:49 AM

Siri returns local results from yelp for things like closest pizza place or pub.

I tried the turn by turn to work today, it worked pretty well, even in locations where I get no mobile signal, worked just as good as co-pilot/tomtom apps. One of the great things about it is that when you are out of the nav app, you get the bar at the top that says "tap to return to navigation" but when you are approaching a turn, it changes to an actual sign to say turn left in x yards.

----------

Have you both reported these bugs?

mph1974
Jun 12, 2012, 06:00 AM
Updating apps isn't working, it's just getting stuck on a 'waiting' cycle, I can't pause or do anything.

Anyone else in the ukmhaving this issue? Wonder if it's a uk app store issue?

This is on an iPhone 4 btw!

af123
Jun 12, 2012, 06:12 AM

I speculate that apps that embed a map using the SDK, like Geocaching for example, are a lot less useful in the England now :(

shandyman
Jun 12, 2012, 06:34 AM

I had this too. Turns out that updated changed it to GMT, I just manually set it to London, then set back to auto and it's fine now. Must just be random glitch when restoring.

nathanlloyd
Jun 12, 2012, 06:46 AM
I got routed to work today using it. Took me on my usual route which is all good. (UK by the way).

I purposely deviated off and it re-routed to put me back on it as efficiently as it could. Pretty good I say.

The only drawback I've seen so far is that my journey takes 30 minutes and I ended up with 30% less battery afterwards :(

Random hero
Jun 12, 2012, 07:29 AM
Any word if Siri does know about Premier League football yet??

I know they said it would but what about in the Developers copy?

Tom8
Jun 12, 2012, 07:32 AM

You beat me to it! Hopefully it will, i thought they only mentioned US "Football" at the conference?

Random hero
Jun 12, 2012, 07:49 AM
You beat me to it! Hopefully it will, i thought they only mentioned US "Football" at the conference?

No... There was Definitely a mention of the English Premier League... not when he first started talking sports but when he summed it up.

Just wondered if it was in at this time.

https://p.twimg.com/AvMMmq2CMAItnKh.jpg

Tom8
Jun 12, 2012, 07:59 AM
No... There was Definitely a mention of the English Premier League... not when he first started talking sports but when he summed it up.

Image (https://p.twimg.com/AvMMmq2CMAItnKh.jpg)

Oops, sorry i'd not seen that photo. Thanks a lot

Random hero
Jun 12, 2012, 08:10 AM
Oops, sorry i'd not seen that photo. Thanks a lot

Not to worry.... Exciting times.. we cant be expected to take it all in :D

I really hope some UK companies decide to use the Passbook app... It has potential to be great but i can see it just being used as a Nectar Card and a Subway Loyalty card over here.... :(

----------

It appears there is some functionality already

https://p.twimg.com/AvL9c1xCMAAv4g9.jpg

iSimx
Jun 12, 2012, 09:38 AM
Are there 3D maps in the UK? e.g. london? is it any good?

Gatecrasher1875
Jun 12, 2012, 09:40 AM
Not to worry.... Exciting times.. we cant be expected to take it all in :D

I really hope some UK companies decide to use the Passbook app... It has potential to be great but i can see it just being used as a Nectar Card and a Subway Loyalty card over here.... :(

----------

It appears there is some functionality already

Image (https://p.twimg.com/AvL9c1xCMAAv4g9.jpg)

Does it work with the SPL?

naltst*
Jun 12, 2012, 12:55 PM
Navigate to the pub is my new favourite siri command... Found all my locals (Bristol)and offered turn by turn directions!

Slick

shandyman
Jun 12, 2012, 01:39 PM
With all these new features being talked about at the WWDC I was wondering what will happen to people outside the US.

In the UK we haven't even got the old features so I don't see how we will get the new ones?

I really like Siri but I want to use it a bit more.

I can't see on the Apple site if its going to be just US again?

*thanks for moving this post. Didn't see this thread :)

All siri stuff is UK as well as US.

Yup it comes under English premier league.

Are there 3D maps in the UK? e.g. london? is it any good?

Not yet. Soon I reckon tho.

AR999
Jun 12, 2012, 02:29 PM

Oh grow up, Im fed up seeing people try and make themselves feel important by saying their under an Apple NDA, while I appreciate this is technically true it serves only to make you look plain daft, the software is pretty much out in the open.

It goes to show how much genuine regard you have for the NDA when you then go on to break it anyway.

Raff42
Jun 12, 2012, 02:36 PM
Does siri understand your accents? because It doesn't understand a thing I say. I am hoping the iOS 6 upgrade will make it more compatible with my accent. I know the devs aren't going to have a clue what scouse sounds like though, so I'm not holding my breathe. I just wish I could use it more. Especially if maps is siri compatible. I don't want to send me somewhere i don't want to go! LOL

kevingaffney
Jun 12, 2012, 02:55 PM
Does siri understand your accents? because It doesn't understand a thing I say. I am hoping the iOS 6 upgrade will make it more compatible with my accent. I know the devs aren't going to have a clue what scouse sounds like though, so I'm not holding my breathe. I just wish I could use it more. Especially if maps is siri compatible. I don't want to send me somewhere i don't want to go! LOL

Also wondered the same. I have a broad Irish accent and Siri has been about 50% successful for me in the past. Would be curious if it can understand me any better in ios6

scoopex
Jun 12, 2012, 09:09 PM
Also wondered the same. I have a broad Irish accent and Siri has been about 50% successful for me in the past. Would be curious if it can understand me any better in ios6

Don't get your hopes up that Siri will work well with UK regional accents because it fails badly. :cool:

CavemanUK
Jun 13, 2012, 02:44 AM
anyone else noticed siri's local search is a little off?... if I go to the yelp app and search for petrol stations, i get 20+ with the closest being a mile away. If i ask siri for the nearest petrol station, it shows 2 results both 20+ miles away!

NightFox
Jun 13, 2012, 03:31 AM
There is a major bug in the turn by turn in the uk, on motorways, it asked me to exit right, when clearly it showed the exit was on the left. works fine on regularly roads though

Yes, I also experienced the wrong-way roundabouts (though it seemed OK on large roundabouts like at motorway junctions) and being told to exit right on motorways when I tried it out this morning.

Though interestingly it does show both sides of the motorway as separate roads (most of the time, occassionally the actual carriageways just vanished) and correctly places you on the left side carriageway.

There was no evidence of any live traffic working on it yet, my TomTom with HD traffic was showing loads of delays as I hit them, but nothing on my iPhone, I guess the crowd-sourcing is not turned on yet, or if it's only sourcing from iOS6 devices there aren't enough out there. Shame that Apple aren't using TomTom traffic service as well as their maps, but I guess this is a big money spinner for TT.

Oh, and one last thing, Siri realy needs to pronounce 'road' a lot better (or it could have even been 'route'). It kept telling me to "continue along the following rewdte"

The picture attached shows the instructions to turn right off the M4 and the vanishing motorway

musio
Jun 13, 2012, 03:58 AM
Thanks for that pic. I was hoping for some sort of lane assistance. Users reporting there isn't any in this thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15025793#post15025793

It's still a beta but hopeful they will get it right

onthecoast
Jun 13, 2012, 04:53 AM
Bit rubbish that there is no direct opentable integration in the uk since the opentable app that siri opens actually reroutes to the web in the uk. Sad times.

Futhark
Jun 13, 2012, 05:28 AM

It works perfectly in the UK

Futhark
Jun 13, 2012, 05:30 AM

Image (https://p.twimg.com/AvMMmq2CMAItnKh.jpg)

I asked Siri a question about Liverpool FC and it gave me their last result

steve-p
Jun 13, 2012, 05:44 AM

Does it explain how they lost to 16th place Swansea though lol

----------

Yes, I also experienced the wrong-way roundabouts (though it seemed OK on large roundabouts like at motorway junctions) and being told to exit right on motorways when I tried it out this morning.

Though interestingly it does show both sides of the motorway as separate roads (most of the time, occassionally the actual carriageways just vanished) and correctly places you on the left side carriageway.

There was no evidence of any live traffic working on it yet, my TomTom with HD traffic was showing loads of delays as I hit them, but nothing on my iPhone, I guess the crowd-sourcing is not turned on yet, or if it's only sourcing from iOS6 devices there aren't enough out there. Shame that Apple aren't using TomTom traffic service as well as their maps, but I guess this is a big money spinner for TT.

Oh, and one last thing, Siri realy needs to pronounce 'road' a lot better (or it could have even been 'route'). It kept telling me to "continue along the following rewdte"

The picture attached shows the instructions to turn right off the M4 and the vanishing motorway

Hmmm. I know it's a beta, but it looks more like an alpha. How many years have they been working on this?

paulcdb
Jun 13, 2012, 06:50 AM
anyone else noticed siri's local search is a little off?... if I go to the yelp app and search for petrol stations, i get 20+ with the closest being a mile away. If i ask siri for the nearest petrol station, it shows 2 results both 20+ miles away!

yep... maybe apple pull everything onto there servers and hasn't quite finished yet or they haven't quite integrated it with the uk site yet *shrugs*

Only apple knows atm, lol

Futhark
Jun 13, 2012, 07:25 AM
Does it explain how they lost to 16th place Swansea though lol

----------

Hmmm. I know it's a beta, but it looks more like an alpha. How many years have they been working on this?

Hahahahaha it said Syntax Error :-D

mattpreston11
Jun 13, 2012, 07:35 AM
Had a mess with IOS6.

Siri does Premier league stats but they seem very difficult to get at. Most questions just show the premier league table, I was able to get the top goal scorers for last season but struggled to get it again. I was able to go back results aswel (Man united 2-1 Liverpool) in Feb. Although again I struggled to get to that again.

Maps routing doesn't seem great, Going from Birmingham to Warrington wouldn't give me an option to go on the M6, only the M6 Toll.

Asking Siri to take me to work or home never seems to work correctly if you have multiple home + work addresses.

Maps definitely needs to get more big chains into its search, mcdonalds, Subway, KFC. I have all 3 nearby me but it couldnt find any.

Frosticus
Jun 13, 2012, 07:40 AM
I'd imagine a lot of the Siri related functionality won't be there until iOS 6 is released properly....

dspalton
Jun 13, 2012, 09:40 AM
Anyone have issues with the app store?

I'm logged in but Italy shows the US app store n not let me download from the uk one

Dave

Futhark
Jun 13, 2012, 10:20 AM
Anyone have issues with the app store?

I'm logged in but Italy shows the US app store n not let me download from the uk one

Dave

Yes having issues updating apps it says something about being in the wrong app store. I can eventually download the updates but not sure how? I think it might be with a reboot

daviesified
Jun 13, 2012, 10:41 AM
Yes, definite bug with the Stores on my iPhone, taking me to the US stores. Did manage to get to the UK App Store by closing the app and signing out and back in, but have been unable to get to the UK iTunes Store.

Bugs are to be expected though, will probably be fixed with the 2nd beta.

Interestingly, don't have this problem on my iPad.

Futhark
Jun 13, 2012, 12:18 PM
Do you think Siri's voice recognition has improved? I think it's understanding me better

NightFox
Jun 14, 2012, 04:42 AM
Asking Siri to take me to work or home never seems to work correctly if you have multiple home + work addresses.

That actually worked fine for me, it asked me to confirm which home address I wanted to go to

dspalton
Jun 14, 2012, 05:36 AM
Yes, definite bug with the Stores on my iPhone, taking me to the US stores. Did manage to get to the UK App Store by closing the app and signing out and back in, but have been unable to get to the UK iTunes Store.

Bugs are to be expected though, will probably be fixed with the 2nd beta.

Interestingly, don't have this problem on my iPad.

same its only on the iPhone, iPad and iTouch are both fine

Dave

The Game 161
Jun 14, 2012, 07:14 AM
Glad to see Siri now has all the features people in the us has

Could somebody who has beta check that if you ask about American sports like the NBA that Siri still says all those things? And that we don't just get premier league

shandyman
Jun 14, 2012, 09:43 AM
Glad to see Siri now has all the features people in the us has

Could somebody who has beta check that if you ask about American sports like the NBA that Siri still says all those things? And that we don't just get premier league

Yes we get the American things too

The Game 161
Jun 14, 2012, 10:14 AM
Yes we get the American things too

Goodo

Big NBA fan so wanted to make sure :D

atlanticza
Jun 14, 2012, 10:40 AM
Worth a read (http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-06/12/hands-on-ios-6)

morty192
Jun 14, 2012, 02:45 PM
Anyone in Northern Ireland how does turn by turn work outside Belfast is the mapping as good as googles?

Similarly how does Siri handle restaurants and cinema listings in Northern Ireland?

Thanks Morty

Futhark
Jun 14, 2012, 02:48 PM
Anyone in Northern Ireland how does turn by turn work outside Belfast is the mapping as good as googles?

Similarly how does Siri handle restaurants and cinema listings in Northern Ireland?

Thanks Morty

Restaurants I'm getting 4 here in Ballymena. I hope this improves shortly. I haven't tried turn by turn yet but all my local roads show up.

CavemanUK
Jun 14, 2012, 02:48 PM

Thanks Morty

I don't think Siri is handling cinema listing yet in the uk. I'm sure it will be activated before the public release. I have also noticed Siri won't give any local search info for North Wales too citing the nearing shops/restaurants as in Liverpool. Is this the same for Northern Ireland?

The Game 161
Jun 14, 2012, 03:07 PM
Which Siri voice do you guys use?

I used to use Aussie voice as I felt it understood me better but now I'm back to using the male uk one as I can say long text and it picks it up... Not sure why it does now

Futhark
Jun 14, 2012, 04:24 PM
I think the voice recognition has improved greatly in Siri !!!

NightFox
Jun 15, 2012, 05:40 AM
I saw a British iPhone/Siri ad on TV last night where I'm sure the woman said "Show me my book list" and Siri responded with a list of page annotations, presumably from iBooks. However, when I tried this Siri understood me fine but just asked if I wanted to search the Internet for 'show me my book list'

Anyone else seen this ad, did I get it wrong?

dspalton
Jun 15, 2012, 05:42 AM
I saw a British iPhone/Siri ad on TV last night where I'm sure the woman said "Show me my book list" and Siri responded with a list of page annotations, presumably from iBooks. However, when I tried this Siri understood me fine but just asked if I wanted to search the Internet for 'show me my book list'

Not tried as not got iPad with me but have you got books restored in iBooks?

Dave

CavemanUK
Jun 15, 2012, 05:43 AM

the book list she was talking about was a reminders list called 'book list'.

steve-p
Jun 15, 2012, 05:44 AM

Yes I saw that. At least they showed her saying "show me my booklist" in a rather unnatural way with gaps between the words and carefully pronounced, which is my experience of Siri. However what popped up when she said that looked like the Reminders app to me on a quick glance but that doesn't make any sense so I may be mistaken.

MonkeySee....
Jun 15, 2012, 05:50 AM
I Just asked Siri to "Show me my Shopping List" and it worked fine.

NightFox
Jun 15, 2012, 07:10 AM
the book list she was talking about was a reminders list called 'book list'.

Ah, that would explain it. A little odd though. :)

Raff42
Jun 28, 2012, 02:26 PM

awesome :-) That makes me feel better :-)

andybno1
Jun 28, 2012, 04:43 PM
have to say I am loving the photostream sharing via website I just shared a bunch of pics to show a mate the new sky hd software an yeh so simple an easy an ready in seconds.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#v2;4;7970DD2A-6D07-4D0F-BAA7-769300C680D8;v1CAEQARoQqruqWq81i4BrdexiOuq6lQ

CavemanUK
Jun 28, 2012, 05:42 PM
have to say I am loving the photostream sharing via website I just shared a bunch of pics to show a mate the new sky hd software an yeh so simple an easy an ready in seconds.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#v2;4;7970DD2A-6D07-4D0F-BAA7-769300C680D8;v1CAEQARoQqruqWq81i4BrdexiOuq6lQ

The new sky hd software is looking pretty slick. is it released already? how do i update? lol completely off topic but just wanna know!!

shandyman
Jun 28, 2012, 05:45 PM
The new sky hd software is looking pretty slick. is it released already? how do i update? lol completely off topic but just wanna know!!

I think we got it over a week ago. Maybe it's regional rollout.

andybno1
Jun 29, 2012, 12:38 AM
I got my update yesterday they rolled it out to specific box models at first now it's a gradual rollout and it is sexay lol

gspannu
Jun 29, 2012, 07:12 AM

Turn on Sky box; turn on your TV; make sure its all working.
Keep TV on.

1. Switch off your sky box (unplug the power lead or switch off plug)
2. Press the Backup Button (on the sky box, not the remote)
3. Keeping the Backup button depressed; turn on power to the skybox.
4. Keep holding the Backup button until all 3-4 LEDs start to blink.
5. Release the Backup button….
6. … and let Sky box update

Takes a few minutes (about 3-4 minutes; Sky box will again reboot and you should have your new software).

You will see the progress of the update on your TV...

Futhark
Jun 29, 2012, 09:46 AM
Keep TV on.

Takes a few minutes (about 3-4 minutes; Sky box will again reboot and you should have your new software).

Edit number 3 to pressed instead of depressed as this is wrong

Random hero
Jun 29, 2012, 12:10 PM
Keep TV on.

will this clear my planner??

also have we confirmed this works?

andybno1
Jun 29, 2012, 12:22 PM
will this clear my planner??

also have we confirmed this works?
no, all your recordings will remain on the planner all that will happen is it will attempt an update and rebuild the tv guide listings and I'm not sure if it is on the update stream yet or not

Random hero
Jun 29, 2012, 12:29 PM
no, all your recordings will remain on the planner all that will happen is it will attempt an update and rebuild the tv guide listings and I'm not sure if it is on the update stream yet or not

Yeah, I gave it a whirl... It did the update but i still have the old style planner.... guess my box isnt ready yet

BvizioN
Jun 29, 2012, 12:45 PM
Anywhere i can see the new sky software before i try the update? (video link, image etc)

Sorry for the off topic request.

andybno1
Jun 29, 2012, 03:48 PM
Anywhere i can see the new sky software before i try the update? (video link, image etc)

Sorry for the off topic request.
I posted some images as a photo stream link up there ^^^ but there is a video of it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRrL9gq_Aic (no audio) - the video doesn't do it justice personally looks sexier in person lol

BvizioN
Jun 29, 2012, 03:57 PM
I posted some images as a photo stream link up there ^^^ but there is a video of it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRrL9gq_Aic (no audio) - the video doesn't do it justice personally looks sexier in person lol

Thanks for that. Was looking on YouTube before but couldn't find anything. As for the photos, was using work's PC and it filter images. Looks great, will try and see if i can update mine.

andybno1
Jun 29, 2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks for that. Was looking on YouTube before but couldn't find anything. As for the photos, was using work's PC and it filter images. Looks great, will try and see if i can update mine.
had a go at filming on my iPhone 4 but had remote control issues and when I watched back on pc the video was filmed upside down lol

morty192
Jun 29, 2012, 07:17 PM
why has this become a SKYHD epg thread? it doesn't even add new features its simply a skin change, though it is nice. Get back on topic folks and fill me in on ios6 goodies lol

Morrus
Jun 30, 2012, 03:34 AM
Thinkgs I've noticed in the UK:

Location services now work, but Siri doesn't pull full info from Yelp. For example, it thinks the nearest post office and the nearest petrol station to me are both 20+ miles away, despite both having many closer places in Yelp.
I haven't found a place where movie showtimes work. I've tried a few different places, but always get "I can't get showtime information for [this address]".
Movie questions are spotty. The same question (e.g. "what movies has Tom Cruide starred in?" will sometimes give you info on the movie you're asking about, or it will sometimes give you the "can't find showtimes" answer, or sometimes a really bizarre reponse like "I couldn't find a movie called starred starring Tom Cruise".
ELP questions seem to work. No info on other leagues or international football tournaments.
Turn by Turn directions basically work, but it picks some weird routes sometimes.
No 3D cities in the UK yet (as everyone knows by now) and some of the satellite imagery is almost nonexistent or very lo-res - look at Bristol as an example. In other places it's fine.
There is some restaurant table-booking functionality in Siri working, but the database is sparse. I can tell Siri to book me a table for two at 8pm at an Italian, and it will try to do so, but the nearest Italian restaurant integrated into that system is 30 miles away. Sometimes it gives some other options, but says they don't take online bookings and offers to call them instead.
There seems to be a higher accuracy rate with voice recognition, and the voice seems more natural to me.

Other than that, seems much the same as in the US.

shandyman
Jun 30, 2012, 06:25 AM
Thinkgs I've noticed in the UK:

Location services now work, but Siri doesn't pull full info from Yelp. For example, it thinks the nearest post office and the nearest petrol station to me are both 20+ miles away, despite both having many closer places in Yelp.
I haven't found a place where movie showtimes work. I've tried a few different places, but always get "I can't get showtime information for [this address]".
Movie questions are spotty. The same question (e.g. "what movies has Tom Cruide starred in?" will sometimes give you info on the movie you're asking about, or it will sometimes give you the "can't find showtimes" answer, or sometimes a really bizarre reponse like "I couldn't find a movie called starred starring Tom Cruise".
ELP questions seem to work. No info on other leagues or international football tournaments.
Turn by Turn directions basically work, but it picks some weird routes sometimes.
No 3D cities in the UK yet (as everyone knows by now) and some of the satellite imagery is almost nonexistent or very lo-res - look at Bristol as an example. In other places it's fine.
There is some restaurant table-booking functionality in Siri working, but the database is sparse. I can tell Siri to book me a table for two at 8pm at an Italian, and it will try to do so, but the nearest Italian restaurant integrated into that system is 30 miles away. Sometimes it gives some other options, but says they don't take online bookings and offers to call them instead.
There seems to be a higher accuracy rate with voice recognition, and the voice seems more natural to me.

Other than that, seems much the same as in the US.

I think that the connections to yelp aren't fully there yet whilst in beta, as it's definitely using it. Will see on launch.

C3 had around 100 cities in 3D over a year ago, London was even demoed. I reckon apple just allowed a limited amount for beta with more at launch, otherwise apple wasted a lot of money buying C3......