PDA

View Full Version : Screenshots of iOS 6!

Nevzorus
Jun 11, 2012, 03:16 PM
Now that the beta is up and all the developers can download it, why can't you who have iOS 6 beta 1 now show us some screen shots in this thread? :)

yodayoda
Jun 11, 2012, 03:17 PM
Now that the beta is up and all the developers can download it, why can't you who have iOS 6 beta 1 now show us some screen shots in this thread? :)

Default home screen + blank wallpaper image would be great !

DaveOP
Jun 11, 2012, 03:17 PM

I'm installing now on a new iPad and iPhone 4S, I have to see if there is anything preventing us from sharing them in the user agreement.

yodayoda
Jun 11, 2012, 03:22 PM
I'm installing now on a new iPad and iPhone 4S, I have to see if there is anything preventing us from sharing them in the user agreement.

Thanks, Dave.

Nevzorus
Jun 11, 2012, 04:40 PM

Oh, thanks! :)

Clete2
Jun 11, 2012, 04:42 PM

It is part of the NDA.

luked14
Jun 11, 2012, 05:48 PM
Lots of screenshots on the Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/11/3078868/ios-6-developer-beta-screenshots#3448587).

redbeard331
Jun 11, 2012, 05:51 PM
Check any iPhone running OS 1 through 5 and you will see what 6 looks like;)

Eckscaliber
Jun 11, 2012, 05:53 PM

Sad but true.

Sedrick
Jun 11, 2012, 05:54 PM
I chuckled. +1 The kids creaming their jeans over this update is funny. Not haha funny though.

jnl1211
Jun 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
basically

Nevzorus
Jun 11, 2012, 05:59 PM
What is passbok? Is it an app that you can't delete or is it it an app that you download from the appstore?

Eckscaliber
Jun 11, 2012, 06:01 PM
Nice pics. I'm glad to see the Maps icon changed ever so slightly.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 11, 2012, 06:01 PM

Android ICS looks pretty much the same too. ;)

luked14
Jun 11, 2012, 06:02 PM
basically

+1 for your signature. Chive On!

kramjam
Jun 11, 2012, 06:02 PM
Android looks pretty much the same too. ;)

I don't know about that..

jnl1211
Jun 11, 2012, 06:07 PM
What is passbok? Is it an app that you can't delete or is it it an app that you download from the appstore?

http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/11/apple-ios-passbook/

I don't know about that..

Obviously hasn't seen the UI changes in ICS lol

+1 for your signature. Chive On!
:cool:

Lindenhurst
Jun 11, 2012, 06:08 PM

uhhh.. nope.

shandyman
Jun 11, 2012, 06:15 PM
iOS 6 has gotten some UI tweaks, buttons slightly different, menus different colours than before, settings menu has been slightly re-organised, such as bluetooth pulled to the main settings menu rather than being hidden away, other little things too. makes it feel a bit newer.

I'm still amused that only 7% of android users are running 4.0, whereas near 2/3's are running 2.6. madness!

chrf097
Jun 11, 2012, 06:16 PM
I love the new interface updates, ESPICALLY MUSIC & WEATHER! :D

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 11, 2012, 06:17 PM
uhhh.. nope.

uhhh.. yes.

I haven't yet seen any Android home screen that's so differ than the next. Usually only differ is .... just differ widgets, placement of the same looking icons, and wallpaper. I'm yet to be wowed.

iammike1
Jun 11, 2012, 06:22 PM

hahahahahaha.....hold on.....hahahahaha

I'm a pretty big Apple fanboy but damn, have you ever looked at ICS? For better or worse, looking like iOS is not something it does.

----------

uhhh.. yes.

I haven't yet seen any Android home screen that's so differ than the next. Usually only differ is .... just differ widgets, placement of the same looking icons, and wallpaper. I'm yet to be wowed.

Soooo, you're a patent lawyer? Sounds like something they would say. "Well, you see, both have icons...and scrollable pages...and color...so it's the same!"

jnl1211
Jun 11, 2012, 06:22 PM
uhhh.. yes.

There's different launchers, etc. Overall UI though, ICS does NOT look like GB, GB does however look pretty much the same as Froyo

jnl1211
Jun 11, 2012, 06:25 PM
I love the new interface updates, ESPICALLY MUSIC & WEATHER! :D

Agreed!

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 11, 2012, 06:25 PM
hahahahahaha.....hold on.....hahahahaha

I'm a pretty big Apple fanboy but damn, have you ever looked at ICS? For better or worse, looking like iOS is not something it does.

Soooo, you're a patent lawyer? Sounds like something they would say. "Well, you see, both have icons...and scrollable pages...and color...so it's the same!"

Please use reading comprehension before you LOL someone.

I was saying ICS looks very similar to previous versions of Android in a response to someone saying iOS was the same ol'. DUH!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

irDigital0l
Jun 11, 2012, 06:29 PM
http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/11/hands-on-with-the-all-new-ios-6-beta-including-apples-new-maps-and-revamped-stores/

rjohnstone
I'm still amused that only 7% of android users are running 4.0, whereas near 2/3's are running 2.6. madness!
And there is the underlying issue.
Android users are at the mercy of the phone manufacturer when it comes to OS updates.
The only way you get the latest and greatest right away is to have a Nexus device or know how to compile your own ROM.

Oh and it's 2.3.x (Gingerbread), there is no such thing as 2.6. ;)

iammike1
Please use reading comprehension before you LOL someone.

I was saying ICS looks very similar to previous versions of Android in a response to someone saying iOS was the same ol'. DUH!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Well if that is the case, then sorry, reading a lot of post both good and bad about WWDC.

You have to admit though, despite what you think about the visual changes from GB to ICS, the behind the scenes performance increases were huge because GB was a dog. ICS performance I'm actually ok with as long as someone hasn't loaded crapware like TouchWiz or Sense on top of it.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 11, 2012, 06:30 PM
Can you disable the "New" ribbons? That's looks annoying.

Well if that is the case, then sorry, reading a lot of post both good and bad about WWDC.

You have to admit though, despite what you think about the visual changes from GB to ICS, the behind the scenes performance increases were huge because GB was a dog. ICS performance I'm actually ok with as long as someone hasn't loaded crapware like TouchWiz or Sense on top of it.

Yea, I'm just talking visual here.

iammike1
Jun 11, 2012, 06:31 PM
Android users are at the mercy of the phone manufacturer when it comes to OS updates.
The only way you get the latest and greatest right away is to have a Nexus device or know how to compile your own ROM.

I don't think I would bother owning a non-Nexus Android device personally. After 5 years of iOS, I don't think I like the idea of being so far behind on OS updates.

jnl1211
Jun 11, 2012, 06:34 PM
I don't think I would bother owning a non-Nexus Android device personally. After 5 years of iOS, I don't think I like the idea of being so far behind on OS updates.

Pure 4.0.4 ICS (Like nexus) was nice on my Infuse. I hate all the UI crap oem puts on the phone. Nexus isnt all that great anyway. Nothing special at all really

rjohnstone
Jun 11, 2012, 06:36 PM
The drawback is that Nexus devices are typically mild on the hardware side.

luked14
Jun 11, 2012, 06:40 PM
Here's to hoping the awful blue status bar disappears by the time the GM rolls around.

jnl1211
Jun 11, 2012, 06:43 PM
Here's to hoping the awful blue status bar disappears by the time the GM rolls around.

OMG i know!

b3thomso
Jun 11, 2012, 07:04 PM
I wonder why they couldnt put a toggle for the bluetooth in the settings and an arrow to go to configuration.

chrf097
Jun 11, 2012, 07:06 PM
Agreed!

DAT NEW MUSIC PLAYER

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4fze4zxt01qmu3lt.gif

Eckscaliber
Jun 11, 2012, 07:08 PM
Does anyone have a screenshot of the Weather app?

chrf097
Jun 11, 2012, 07:12 PM
Does anyone have a screenshot of the Weather app?

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4324379/ios6-dev-beta-112_gallery_post.jpg

Taken from The Verge

Nikos
Jun 11, 2012, 07:22 PM
Here are some.

Nikos
Jun 11, 2012, 07:23 PM
Some more...

Nikos
Jun 11, 2012, 07:24 PM
and some more...

Nikos
Jun 11, 2012, 07:25 PM
Finally, some more...

PantherCreek
Jun 11, 2012, 07:29 PM
and some more...

If you aren't logged into Facebook or Twitter do they still appear on NC?

MacDevil7334
Jun 11, 2012, 07:33 PM
Yikes, I don't quite know what to say about all these UI changes except they seem to be totally inconsistent and arbitrary. I agree with others that the blue status bar in some of the apps is totally hideous and unnecessary. It looks like Apple has done away with the grey status bar throughout the UI. I'm disappointed by that decision. But if they're intent on doing that, why not make the status bar black everywhere, like on the iPad? Having it be black in some apps and blue in others is weird. I'm also not liking the new silver theme in the Music app. It just looks ugly.

In the past, some people made a big deal about inconsistencies throughout the iOS UI. I've never thought these were a big deal. After all, modified themes in apps like Game Center or Notes usually were meant to mesh with the function of the app. But what they've done in iOS 6 has made the UI WAY more inconsistent. Now we have black in some apps, silver in others, and some have the old muted blue/grey theme with an ugly new status bar. What is going on???

I hope this is just Apple playing around with the beta. But I'm not holding my breath...

Also, some of the changes look really nice. The more muted pinstripe texture in some apps is a nice change. And the new look of the Weather app is really beautiful.

Nikos
Jun 11, 2012, 07:47 PM
If you aren't logged into Facebook or Twitter do they still appear on NC?

I'm assuming birthdays are there because I synced contact info. They also appear in my calendar, along with Facebook events. I'm not so sure how I feel about that. Hopefully declining an event will remove it from the calendar.

You can choose to not allow Calendar, Contacts and Game Center to interact with Facebook, which will remove Facebook info from said apps.

verizoniphone4
Jun 11, 2012, 08:06 PM
I agree but like that it shows that while apple may not do a complete overhaul, they are at least changing the interface up a little. Anyways, it looks somewhat ok in the settings app.

kockgunner
Jun 11, 2012, 09:04 PM
The blue status bar and the new dialer makes it look like a Facebook Phone. I'm not really liking iOS 6 so far especially since iPhone 4's don't have 3D maps.

Pompiliu
Jun 11, 2012, 09:27 PM
Wow... the UI color changes really are fugly.
And that music player. OMG so ugly and black. Looks like Android...

P.S. The weather app look nice.

benguild
Jun 11, 2012, 09:38 PM
Yikes, I don't quite know what to say about all these UI changes except they seem to be totally inconsistent and arbitrary.

Yeah, Apple's design changes as of late haven't been up to par with the past. In the next few years the iPhone may become the bastard child of the smartphone market with only housewives and little kids using them.

sik08amg
Jun 11, 2012, 09:44 PM
and some more...

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=342716&d=1339460678

Are all of the birthdays from Facebook pushing notifications to your calendar?

Eckscaliber
Jun 11, 2012, 09:46 PM
Image (http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=342716&d=1339460678)

Nice!

Also, thanks to those who posted the Weather App screens.

i0Nic
Jun 11, 2012, 09:55 PM
The notification center is looking pretty ugly.

They need to drop the stitched fabric look and go for something cleaner.

absolutazn87
Jun 11, 2012, 10:38 PM
Image (http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=342716&d=1339460678)

The tap to tweet and post to facebook buttons in Notification Center are probably one of the clearest examples of how Apple's starting to lose its way. It just seemed like someone cooked up the idea to have a quick post feature and didn't know where to stick it in the UI. Neither of those functions has anything to do with notifications and it just clutters up the screen. I don't think Steve Jobs would have ever signed off on it.

Also, that blue status bar looks ridiculous. It's also not just blue. It adapts to whatever color the app is (which looks even worse)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/imgly_production/4631655/large.png

Nikos
Jun 12, 2012, 02:08 AM

They haven't yet. Hopefully they won't.

Nikos
Jun 12, 2012, 02:12 AM
Some 3D maps.

Hastings101
Jun 12, 2012, 02:17 AM
The tap to tweet and post to facebook buttons in Notification Center are probably one of the clearest examples of how Apple's starting to lose its way. It just seemed like someone cooked up the idea to have a quick post feature and didn't know where to stick it in the UI. Neither of those functions has anything to do with notifications and it just clutters up the screen. I don't think Steve Jobs would have ever signed off on it.

Also, that blue status bar looks ridiculous. It's also not just blue. It adapts to whatever color the app is (which looks even worse)

Image (http://s3.amazonaws.com/imgly_production/4631655/large.png)

It's very patriotic looking.

Nevzorus
Jun 12, 2012, 02:22 AM
Can someone show different screenshots of Siri on the new iPad?

aluren
Jun 12, 2012, 03:03 AM
Reminders finally has badged icon!

Cod3rror
Jun 12, 2012, 03:22 AM
What's up with this Frankenstein UI!?

They replaced black themed apps(Music) with silver and silver(Camera) themed apps with black? That's it?

Then, there is gloss in some apps and matte in the others.

The new dialpad looks bad, the old one looks way better.

I like the new sound/seek levers, look better than the old ones but overall the UI looks very, very inconsistent.

Dannydekr
Jun 12, 2012, 03:30 AM
They should really be consistent in the UI. This is a complete joke. Tabbars are very inconsistent, the Dial-pad is very ugly. Just use the same elements in the different apps for god's sake. Apple is supposed to be a design company. How can they allow this UI-framentation :confused:

And please.. the statusbar-color-change is ridiculous. Ugly as hell!

Steve would turn around in his grave..

gmanist1000
Jun 12, 2012, 03:41 AM
You can tell Jony Ive doesn't design the software interface....

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 03:59 AM
You can tell Jony Ive doesn't design the software interface....
Apple should have hired Matias Duarte, but Google got him. Big loss for Apple. WebOS's interface concepts would have really improved iOS.

jncoanalog
Jun 12, 2012, 05:16 AM
Agreed!

WTF?!? So the 5 year old music app UI just got updated uh? Glad they changed the colors of the menus... oh and now the repeat/shuffle buttons are orange instead of blue... I really don't know how I managed to live with blue buttons till now :o

Really? That's the big improvements to the music app UI? I think it's one of the most neglected parts of iOS... it's the app I use the most on my iPhone and it's really really crippled.
For instance, is it so difficult to understand that when I navigate in artist or album view and start playing a song I want my iPod (or iPhone in my case) to continue to play other songs in my library even when it finishes playing all the songs by that artist or in that album? :eek:

I'm not getting into to much detail of what could be done better because a dedicated thread wouldn't be enough for that but please, please at least give me an iPod that doesn't stop playing my music unless I tell it to stop playing it!!! :D

gpsouza
Jun 12, 2012, 05:28 AM
What the hell is happening?

Sometimes the status bar is blue, other is black, other is red like someone above, silver... The Stores are black, safari is silver, phone is blue/silver and iPod is orange. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Where the hell did they get it like this? There is no consistency AT ALL!!! Hopefully it's only a beta "feature" and they get all colors right.

Oh, and "Tap to post"... What the **** is that ugly thing?

One more question, WHY NO QUICK REPLY MESSAGES?! It could just look like a post on facebook, it would be so great...

shandyman
Jun 12, 2012, 06:15 AM

sorry, meant to say 2.6, it was late at night when i posted.

Rogifan
Jun 12, 2012, 07:03 AM
Nice pics. I'm glad to see the Maps icon changed ever so slightly.

No change to game center though. :rolleyes:

Nevzorus
Jun 12, 2012, 07:10 AM
I saw some screenshots yesterday and someone had an F on the weatherapp? :O

GoCubsGo
Jun 12, 2012, 07:14 AM
Love the new music player and although I love Key Ring, I will use passbook.

Nevzorus
Jun 12, 2012, 07:30 AM
What icon are you talking about and did you bother watching the keynote? I noticed when you asked what passbook was that you may not have taken the time to view that first.

The one that says Fahrenheit. I watched the keynote, live from Macrumors AND on video. I just didn't care enough about it since i won't use it.

chrf097
Jun 12, 2012, 07:32 AM
The one that says Fahrenheit. I watched the keynote, live from Macrumors AND on video. I just didn't care enough about it since i won't use it.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fahrenheit-weather-temperature/id426939660?mt=8

App made by some developer. My mom uses it. Pretty good.

GoGa
Jun 12, 2012, 07:37 AM
Here's a screenshot of the Hollywood Sign in Maps. Flyover is absolutely incredible, here's hoping they can add more places that support it.

http://i45.tinypic.com/10saqvc.jpg

Nevzorus
Jun 12, 2012, 07:44 AM
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fahrenheit-weather-temperature/id426939660?mt=8

App made by some developer. My mom uses it. Pretty good.

Thank you! I REALLY thought that it was a stockapp xD

SBehn
Jun 12, 2012, 09:08 AM
Any chance for someone to upload a screenshot of picture upload in Safari?

Would be great.
Steffen

chrf097
Jun 12, 2012, 09:11 AM
Any chance for someone to upload a screenshot of picture upload in Safari?

Would be great.
Steffen

They look*the same as iOS 5. The only difference is on the iPad version, there's a cloud next to the refresh button.

SBehn
Jun 12, 2012, 09:20 AM
They look*the same as iOS 5. The only difference is on the iPad version, there's a cloud next to the refresh button.

Sorry, maybe I wasnt clear enough. I didnt mean the "Share" function, but the HTML photo upload to a website in mobile safari.

Cheers,
Steffen

Nevzorus
Jun 16, 2012, 12:23 PM
Can someone on here do me a favour? Can someone have all the normal stockapps on the first page but a bit different on the dock down there?

I would want to see a screenshot with the apps in the dock at the bottom like this:

Clock Safari Facetime Mail then nothing more then that

:D?

Amiz
Jun 16, 2012, 12:37 PM
Here's one.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=343691&stc=1&d=1339868167

Nevzorus
Jun 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
Here's one.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=343691&stc=1&d=1339868167

Thank you! I hope i'll get a screenshot of the dock like i wanted it. :)

RoboCop001
Jun 16, 2012, 01:08 PM
Agreed!

I really like the "silver" theme in the Music app. Kind of wish that were applied system wide!

212rikanmofo
Jun 16, 2012, 08:50 PM
I'm kind of disappointed about the UI. I'm nitpicky and the things I don't like is the new dialer pad, it looks cheap now. I also don't like the different color status bars. The app store is really ugly now. I liked the way it was, with a lighter theme, which looked much cleaner. This one is way too contrasty with the status and toolbar at the bottom being black. I hope they revert back to the original UI for the app store, itunes store, etc. The silver music player UI is okay, not bad, but if they do it there, then they should keep it consistent with other list views such as the message app, contact app, etc.

Please Apple, consistency is the key to having a good UI. What happened, did you hire a bunch of entry level UI designers?

jnl1211
Jun 16, 2012, 09:47 PM
You can tell Jobs doesn't have his hands in it anymore. He'd NEVER allow all these crazy random colors and silvers, etc.

bmckenna1
Jun 16, 2012, 10:08 PM
You can tell Jobs doesn't have his hands in it anymore. He'd NEVER allow all these crazy random colors and silvers, etc.

The iPad music player has the silver color scheme for a while now. And there's a 99.999999% chance Steve Jobs oversaw the creation of iOS 6 as well. These things don't come together overnight.

jnl1211
Jun 16, 2012, 10:09 PM
The iPad music player has the silver color scheme for a while now. And there's a 99.999999% chance Steve Jobs oversaw the creation of iOS 6 as well. These things don't come together overnight.

I realize that but blue status bars, random orange in the music player. Buttons, UI stuff that doesn't "flow"? No friggin way

rogelio1017
Jun 18, 2012, 01:20 AM

ummmm no, you obviously don't know Android.

Orange Furball
Jun 18, 2012, 01:26 AM
uhhh.. yes.

http://img.tapatalk.com/ae36758a-c9fa-ebae.jpg

Last time I checked, Android 2.x.x doesn't look like this:rolleyes:

Here is a GB screenshot. Compare the two. Top is from my Galaxy note and bottom is my Droid X. http://img.tapatalk.com/ae36758a-cb20-7c85.jpg

johndallas999
Jun 18, 2012, 09:34 AM

Aint that the truth, other than wallpapers and higher resolution, there is 0 difference. 5 years ahead is starting to look a few years behind now.

iammike1
Jun 18, 2012, 09:37 AM
Aint that the truth, other than wallpapers and higher resolution, there is 0 difference. 5 years ahead is starting to look a few years behind now.

I wouldn't say zero difference. They moved 3 of the 4 columns a few pixels so they were evenly spaced a year or so ago!

aoitsukinosuke
Jun 18, 2012, 10:24 AM
I wonder why they couldnt put a toggle for the bluetooth in the settings and an arrow to go to configuration.

I SECOND that.

*Calypso*
Jun 18, 2012, 12:35 PM

That would be the first time they ever do this in Settings - and it would look weird.

b3thomso
Jun 18, 2012, 01:39 PM
That would be the first time they ever do this in Settings - and it would look weird.

Huh? Look at Airplane Mode....

shandyman
Jun 18, 2012, 01:42 PM

Actually unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, this is exactly what they have done... :S

snappyfool
Jun 18, 2012, 01:54 PM
No, there's either a text description of On/Off with an arrow leading to a configuration screen which includes a toggle (e.g. Bluetooth), or just a toggle alone (e.g. Airplane Mode). Never toggle AND arrow.

AustinIllini
Jun 18, 2012, 01:58 PM
Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/ae36758a-c9fa-ebae.jpg)

Last time I checked, Android 2.x.x doesn't look like this:rolleyes:

Here is a GB screenshot. Compare the two. Top is from my Galaxy note and bottom is my Droid X. Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/ae36758a-cb20-7c85.jpg)

But how much of this is cosmetic? I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I love the way the note screen looks, but i'm just curious. It looks like the functionality is similar between the two.

shandyman
Jun 18, 2012, 02:00 PM
No, there's either a text description of On/Off with an arrow leading to a configuration screen which includes a toggle (e.g. Bluetooth), or just a toggle alone (e.g. Airplane Mode). Never toggle AND arrow.

Oh both at same time. It won't fit both tho. Not without it looking ugly as hell

Orange Furball
Jun 18, 2012, 02:05 PM
But how much of this is cosmetic? I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I love the way the note screen looks, but i'm just curious. It looks like the functionality is similar between the two.

The note screen is running vanilla. The UI is much different. Going from stock gingerbread to pics will be like night and day. The dock us different, folders have been officially added, new status bar and notification drawer, pretty much everything has been improved. I'm not saying it was a huge change, I'm saying it is more of change than iOS has made.

matttye
Jun 18, 2012, 02:08 PM
uhhh.. yes.

Not my current setup, but:

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/matttye88/SC20111025-204424.png

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/matttye88/2011-10-25205458.jpg

The "Calls SMS Gmail" widgets light up when there's a new call/sms/email.

The Spotify widget is to allow quick changing of tracks from the lockscreen.

The calendar widget changes to an agenda view when you press the top right button, and the "+" button can be used to quickly add an event.

The four contact widgets below the calendar on my homescreen can be used to quickly call and text my favourite contacts.

The launcher I was using at the time supported gestures, so I could swipe up anywhere on the screen to open the application drawer, and swipe down anywhere on the screen to open the notification drawer.

The application drawer is a massive plus for Android for me. I don't want all of the shortcuts to my apps cluttering up my home screens, that's like a prehistoric way of doing things.

AustinIllini
Jun 18, 2012, 02:27 PM
The application drawer is a massive plus for Android for me. I don't want all of the shortcuts to my apps cluttering up my home screens, that's like a prehistoric way of doing things.

Yes, because a phone that is mobile, sends and receives emails, goes on the internet, and utilizes a touch screen is clearly prehistoric. I hope Samsung is paying you for all the lovemaking you are having with your phone.

I wish I had a picture of Jesus riding a Dinosaur while on his iPhone.

matttye
Jun 18, 2012, 02:31 PM
Yes, because a phone that is mobile, sends and receives emails, goes on the internet, and utilizes a touch screen is clearly prehistoric. I hope Samsung is paying you for all the lovemaking you are having with your phone.

A phone that has no decent place to store all of the apps I've installed and so dumps them on the home screen.. that's dated tech. What's the point in filling all the home screens with icons when you can just press a button and have another window pop up?

Widgets > grid of icons any day of the week.

burnside
Jun 18, 2012, 03:00 PM

I wish I had a picture of Jesus riding a Dinosaur while on his iPhone.

http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2000/10/25/amazing_possibilities_/palmvx.jpg

After a while, yes, icons do get prehistoric on a touch screen. Why click on an icon to get the data you want when it could be displayed on the home screen.

*Calypso*
Jun 18, 2012, 03:03 PM
Huh? Look at Airplane Mode....

Airplane mode doesn't have an arrow to configure it. In all the settings there is either an ON/OFF switch or an arrow that brings you to a sub-menu, NEVER both.

AustinIllini
Jun 18, 2012, 03:05 PM
A phone that has no decent place to store all of the apps I've installed and so dumps them on the home screen.. that's dated tech. .

I think your definition of "dated tech" is different from mine.

matttye
Jun 18, 2012, 03:06 PM
I think your definition of "dated tech" is different from mine.

My definition of dated tech (in this context) is unintuitive, shoddy software.

AustinIllini
Jun 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
My definition of dated tech (in this context) is unintuitive, shoddy software.

Look, say what you want about iOS, but the idea of it being "unintuitive" is just ridiculous. iOS is the easiest phone OS to adopt because it is intuitive.

The closest thing to "shoddy" I can think of in the smartphone industry are the thrown together widgets which don't do anything useful, look cheap, and drain battery.

burnside
Jun 18, 2012, 03:23 PM
Look, say what you want about iOS, but the idea of it being "unintuitive" is just ridiculous. iOS is the easiest phone OS to adopt because it is intuitive.

The closest thing to "shoddy" I can think of in the smartphone industry are the thrown together widgets which don't do anything useful, look cheap, and drain battery.

I'd much rather have an iPhone than an Android device, but because of how Apple makes iPhones so easy to use, it can also be a detriment to a large percentage of it's customers.

I remember one day I went with my iPhone to the Genius Bar because of slow performance. The associate asked if I had cleared the memory of all the apps. I said no, couldn't find the setting to do that. He said, "oh there's no setting, I'll show you how to do it." Double clicked on the home button, brought up the multitask bar, pushed on one of the icons until the X came up on the icons, then spent the next few minutes closing out every app. I gave him a look and asked "you're serious, this is how you clear apps from memory?" He shrugged and thumbed away.

Apple gets most of what they do right, but they still have more than enough room for improvement. Honestly, I wouldn't be so hard on them if they didn't brag all the time. I don't expect them to hit a home run every time or have all their bases covered, but when you throw up charts, stats, and jokes about your competitors at every keynote then you better have a product that leaves no debate about all of its features.

matttye
Jun 18, 2012, 03:27 PM

I find it really unintuitive to have to go deep into the settings menu whenever I want to turn Bluetooth/wifi etc on and off. I find it really unintuitive to have to go into individual apps to send email attachments rather than simply being able to do it from the email app itself. Android doesn't have these problems.

You don't have to use those widgets. I have a calendar widget, a photo widget and a bunch of shortcuts and apps on my home screens. Oh and a video and music widget.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 18, 2012, 03:28 PM
Not my current setup, but:

Image (http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/matttye88/SC20111025-204424.png)

Image (http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/matttye88/2011-10-25205458.jpg)

The "Calls SMS Gmail" widgets light up when there's a new call/sms/email.

The Spotify widget is to allow quick changing of tracks from the lockscreen.

The calendar widget changes to an agenda view when you press the top right button, and the "+" button can be used to quickly add an event.

The four contact widgets below the calendar on my homescreen can be used to quickly call and text my favourite contacts.

The launcher I was using at the time supported gestures, so I could swipe up anywhere on the screen to open the application drawer, and swipe down anywhere on the screen to open the notification drawer.

It's all the same really. The wallpaper is what really gives those screenshots a differ look. Everything else is just rearranged icons and widgets.

matttye
Jun 18, 2012, 03:30 PM
It's all the same really. The wallpaper is what really gives those screenshots a differ look. Everything else is just rearranged icons and widgets.

I showed a few widgets with different functionality to the other poster. Not sure what else you want to see really, if it looked completely different it would be stupid and nonsensical.

Orange Furball
Jun 18, 2012, 04:02 PM

But you have to admit that there is a larger difference going from gingerbread to ics then there is going from iOS 4 to 5

b3thomso
Jun 18, 2012, 05:27 PM
Airplane mode doesn't have an arrow to configure it. In all the settings there is either an ON/OFF switch or an arrow that brings you to a sub-menu, NEVER both.

Ok then have a seperate bluetooth configuration. I dont really care. There is still too many steps to turn bluetooth on/off in ios 6. Would you agree?

*Calypso*
Jun 18, 2012, 06:07 PM
Ok then have a seperate bluetooth configuration. I dont really care. There is still too many steps to turn bluetooth on/off in ios 6. Would you agree?

Well, it is already a lot quicker to turn bluetooth on/off compared to iOS 5. I guess it also depends on what you use it for. For instance, my Logitech Wireless Boombox doesn't automatically connect to my phone, while my car does. So sometimes it's nice to have the list of paired devices right next to the on/off switch.