PDA

View Full Version : Does the iOS navigation require data plan?

gaanee
Jun 11, 2012, 03:25 PM
Does the iOS navigation require data plan or are the maps installed locally like a standalone GPS?

xAnthony
Jun 11, 2012, 03:25 PM
Requires data for the most part.

You can pre-load map data, and so I'm assuming if you do that... It should work without data?

nyfliiboy
Jun 11, 2012, 03:27 PM
I believe it just goes off the gps so data isn't require. For example you can have no service but still be able to use the gps. Searching for things will require data though such as coffee shops, food, ect..

xAnthony
Jun 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
I believe it just goes off the gps so data isn't require. For example you can have no service but still be able to use the gps. Searching for things will require data though such as coffee shops, food, ect..

The GPS doesn't require data, but to load the maps it does. So unless you pre-load the maps, it would use data.

gaanee
Jun 11, 2012, 03:31 PM
So does it allow you to download the whole map for US once, or do you have to pre-load the map for every trip separately?

Aqua Bliss
Jun 11, 2012, 03:32 PM
Does that mean I can use my iPod Touch 4G for Navigation? Once the maps are loaded?

vertigo235
Jun 11, 2012, 03:32 PM
has it been confirmed you can load the maps at all?

basesloaded190
Jun 11, 2012, 03:33 PM
So does it allow you to download the whole map for US once, or do you have to pre-load the map for every trip separately?

No one knows yet. If you are able to pre-download some maps that would be ideal instead of always relying on cell data.

vertigo235
Jun 11, 2012, 03:33 PM
Does that mean I can use my iPod Touch 4G for Navigation? Once the maps are loaded?

no, ipod touch 4g doesn't have a gps

xAnthony
Jun 11, 2012, 03:45 PM

Right now you're not allowed to download anything, you have to open the maps app and pre-load your route/destination (using wifi) in order for the maps to work without using data.

I wonder if Apple would allow to actually download maps so that you don't have to use your data at all... That will be interesting. But you would need a phone with a good amount of storage as map files tend to be pretty big in size.