PDA

View Full Version : Early Hands-On Impression and Overview of Retina MacBook Pro

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 11, 2012, 03:38 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/early-hands-on-impression-and-overview-of-retina-macbook-pro/)

With Apple's new "Next Generation MacBook Pro" (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/apple-introduces-next-generation-macbook-pro-with-15-4-retina-display-starts-at-2199/) being the headliner in terms of new hardware introduction at WWDC, there is obviously considerable interest in how the new model compares with the previous design, which continues to be offered in both 13-inch and 15-inch sizes.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/macbook_pro_2012.jpg
Engadget posts a brief hands-on (http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-next-generation-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-hands-on/) with the new MacBook Pro fresh out of the box, showing how much slimmer the new form factor is than the standard MacBook Pro.It's 0.71-inches thick, or roughly 25 percent thinner than the current generation Pros (which, by the way, live on -- except for the 17-incher). That's just .03-inches thicker than the 13-inch MacBook Air, but it feels like quite a bit more. Where the Air is tapered, this has a constant thickness throughout. So, again, it doesn't feel like an Air, but it's a big improvement over the Pro.

On the right side you have an SD card reader, full-size HDMI port and the first USB 3.0 port. (Which, by the way, is not blue -- Apple just made all the ports 3.0 and they're all naturally white.) On the other side is the other USB 3.0 port along with dual Thunderbolt ports, a headphone jack and the new MagSafe 2 connector.
The Next Generation MacBook Pro is currently available only as 15-inch model and is available starting at $2199.

Update: The Verge has also posted a gallery of hands-on photos (http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/11/3078913/new-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-hands-on-pictures) of the new MacBook Pro.

Article Link: Early Hands-On Impression and Overview of Retina MacBook Pro (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/early-hands-on-impression-and-overview-of-retina-macbook-pro/)

JackieTreehorn
Jun 11, 2012, 03:39 PM
My heart says yes, but my mind says no.

ndavid126
Jun 11, 2012, 03:40 PM
Beat me to it. I was going to post this.

basesloaded190
My heart says yes, but my wallet says no.

That's my feelings.

deannnnn
Already have my order in! Doesn't ship for 5-7 days though :(

jasonxneo
Jun 11, 2012, 03:42 PM
looks great!

Reach9
Jun 11, 2012, 03:42 PM
i always LOL at people taking pics with their iPad like that, it looks hilarious.

xDKP
Jun 11, 2012, 03:43 PM
Oh.... My.... God...

This laptop is everything I REALLY wanted.... Just not the pricing of it...

Radio
Jun 11, 2012, 03:43 PM
I expect to see poor college kids with $2000+ macbook pros at Starbucks soon browsing for jobs.

The world we live in lol

dlimes13
Jun 11, 2012, 03:44 PM
It may be retina, but isn't it still a 1440x900 workspace?

I stand corrected, it's not and you can scale it to pretty much whatever. Still no excuse for soldered SSD/RAM and a "PRO" machine.

CmdrLaForge
Looks great but besides the retina display I am not sure if its that big of an improvement. Looking at the video - for sure it is thinner but not changing the world type of thinner and of course this can be achieved by dropping the ODD and HDD - not exactly rocket science.

nickn
I always find it humorous when people take photos with their iPad like those two people on the pic. I saw some folks recording an airshow I was at a few weeks ago with an iPad, and couldn't help but laugh. At least one guy brought along a DSLR.

gmcalpin
Jun 11, 2012, 03:45 PM
What?

egraphixstudios
my heart says yes, wallet says yes, but wife says no...:mad:

Renzatic
Hey look! People are taking pictures with their iPads! I thought no one did that!

You know, as one of loathed by everybody prosumer high end hobbyist types, I'm finding this new Macbook Pro to be about perfect for me. It's thin, light, snazzy, and yeah...I'm a sucker for some high DPI displays.

Hell, now I wish I waited for this instead of getting an iPad.

love-apple
Jun 11, 2012, 03:46 PM
apple doesn't mention anything about the 13 inch ;:mad:
is it coming soon or what!!!!!!!

BWhaler
Worst. Hands-on video. Ever.

Skika
What?

He is correct.

swingerofbirch

Yup, it does appear that way.

Eidorian
Jun 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
How many seconds to 100 C?

My MacBook is hitting 5 years old. I am going to need to find a replacement from someone. I will keep the MacBook just to use Pages and Keynote '06 and as a file server. Still, no one deserves my money.

lukefinch
Jun 11, 2012, 03:48 PM
Does anyone else think it's strange that this new MacBook has no MacBook Pro badge/title beneath the screen on the bezel unlike every other one on the market?

Renzatic
Jun 11, 2012, 03:49 PM

3.541 seconds. 6.423 seconds to flash fry your cods.

You don't want to use this laptop on your lap, that's for sure.

Inakto
wait... no more 17 inch MBP??? :eek:

loderunner
Will someone tell the engadget guy to NEVER, EVER, scratch two macbooks against each other like in this video?
I can feel it down my spine!

Nostromo
After the ridiculously small Mac Pro update I couldn't care less.

You don't want to use this laptop on your lap, that's for sure.

What's the problem? Wouldn't you like it to be able to fry eggs on the go? ;)

AppleInMyBlood
Jun 11, 2012, 03:50 PM
"Where the Air is tapered, this has a constant thickness throughout."

Perfect! Love the Air, but I'm thrilled that the MBP remains "taperless"!:D

*Calypso*
Looks great but besides the retina display I am not sure if its that big of an improvement. Looking at the video - for sure it is thinner but not changing the world type of thinner and of course this can be achieved by dropping the ODD and HDD - not exactly rocket science.

You can't really go much thinner than the height of the USB port, can you? ;)

Eidorian

You don't want to use this laptop on your lap, that's for sure.My Macbook has burned me. Over on Notebookcheck they do thermals at idle and load for the upper/lower case. Some notebooks are scarier though!

They are using the 45W quad cores too! Yikes!

T5BRICK
apple doesn't mention anything about the 13 inch ;:mad:
is it coming soon or what!!!!!!!

If they were offering one, I'm sure they would have mentioned it.

I'm just guessing here, but I would say that the Intel HD4000 isn't powerful enough to drive a high resolution display and there isn't space for discrete graphics.

It's unfortunate too, because I was waiting for the 13" model as well.

AppleInMyBlood
Jun 11, 2012, 03:51 PM
After the ridiculously small Mac Pro update I couldn't care less.

Start your own computer company and stop whining about Apple not doing exactly what you want.

rick98761
Jun 11, 2012, 03:53 PM
Yup, it does appear that way.
Damn so I would loose screen space with this upgrade?

mingoglia
Will someone tell the engadget guy to NEVER, EVER, scratch two macbooks against each other like in this video?

I was cringing every time he did that. Most of us with a MBP know that sound and stop whatever we're doing immediately when hearing it.

I too am disappointed with the lack of 17". I switched to 17" in 2010 and told myself I'd never go back. I've never noticed the difference in carrying it (in a slightly bigger case), and enjoy the extra real estate. Oh well, looks like I'm going back to 15.4" one of these days :o

I'm sure this has been discussed, but is the anti-glare available? I've had a typical Monday and haven't had a chance to watch the key notes or spend anytime on apple.com yet.

Nostromo
Start your own computer company and stop whining about Apple not doing exactly what you want.

Hello, fanboy. Your sycophantic attitude is just great!

TSE
Jun 11, 2012, 03:54 PM
One thing I love about the new MacBook Pros is they didn't go 16:9, and the bezels remain small.

The "old" macbook pros with the updated graphics and such are still a good guy, especially the 512mb model. Next update is probably when the old unibody leaves.

Sangdushi
Jun 11, 2012, 03:54 PM
would anyone buy the non-retina over this even if it's a few hundred cheaper? I don't see why anyone would.

T5BRICK
Jun 11, 2012, 03:55 PM
:apple:Could anyone let me know if they think apple will release a 13" retina MacBook pro eventually or will the 15" model only be available????:apple:

I think they will eventually, it just isn't happening this year. Maybe the next refresh? Like I said to another poster, I doubt current Intel integrated graphics can handle the resolution, and there isn't space in the 13" model for discrete graphics.

iScott428
Jun 11, 2012, 03:57 PM
Can someone please explain the HDMI out? To me it makes almost no sense.

Edit: Because there are crap tons of morons on this site, why would Apple introduce HDMI on this macbook? Obviously it connects to TV's, I know 3 year olds who could have come up with a more clever response. Why HDMI and not Firewire or Mini DVI, is using an adapter too complicated now?

Second Edit: Your Retina Macbook Pro will have MORE pixels than your HD Tv, by a long shot, so why would I want less pixels and a (Much) larger screen? Convenience of hook up is not a reason either, by now you probably own a slew of adapters and cable options to connect your Mac to a HDTV.

ArcaneDevice
Jun 11, 2012, 03:57 PM
The "old" macbook pros with the updated graphics and such are still a good guy, especially the 512mb model. Next update is probably when the old unibody leaves.

The old MBP is far better value. For $2100 you get everything on the $2700 Retina with the exception of an SSD and Retina display. Plus more ports, more hard drive storage space and an optical drive.

You pay $600 more for less hardware everywhere else but more pixels.

jamesryanbell
Jun 11, 2012, 03:58 PM
I know it's pointless, but I'm still going to say it.

It would've been a lot more attractive to me at $1799. Something about crossing over the $2000 mark puts a "slow" sign up for me.

Notice I didn't say "no". I said "slow".

ArcaneDevice
Jun 11, 2012, 03:58 PM

Have you never seen a television in the past six years?

ericinboston
Jun 11, 2012, 03:59 PM
My beef about the new 15" Pro is:

1)The cost is insane for the low end 15" for $1799. And the $2199 Retina ONLY comes in a 256GB SSD. I have to shell out $600+ for the privilege of getting a larger drive by buying the $2799 model.

2)It's not a pro machine for the price....it's built to be lighter, thinner, and sexier. Those qualities do not define "pro".

3)The Macbook became the Macbook Pro and the Retina Pro is a new model. Talk about mucking around with branding.

4)The $1799 (among others) Pro ships with a VERY weak 4GB of ram and 5400RPM drive. It also tops out at 8GB of ram and can't push 1920x1080. Again, this is labeled a "pro" machine...

All around some fair upgrades and they look nice...but the pricing is way off base...and no, I'm not buying a 13" laptop...those died in 1996.

hspace

HDMI out allows you to connect to a TV directly. :D Shall I explain USB next? :cool:

mitchleeh
Dying to know if the RAM or SSD is user-upgradable or if it's like the MacBook Air... Does anyone know?

loderunner
Jun 11, 2012, 04:00 PM
Damn so I would loose screen space with this upgrade?

I think this is only while booting for the first time; not sure, but the screen looked familiar..

Renzatic
Jun 11, 2012, 04:01 PM
My Macbook has burned me. Over on Notebookcheck they do thermals at idle and load for the upper/lower case. Some notebooks are scarier though!

Yup. I'm willing to bet this thing will get up to 40C easily while using hardware intensive applications. And what about rendering? Or games even? Anything that'll buzz the fans on the relatively spacious iMac worries me here.

It's a nice looking machine, and damn tempting, but before I plunk down the cash, I'm going to want to look at some benchmarks and see how hot this thing gets.

What's the problem? Wouldn't you like it to be able to fry eggs on the go? ;)

NOT MY EGGS! :mad:

Macman45
Jun 11, 2012, 04:02 PM
It looks great, but no ethernet port? and the death of the 17" is still hurting here. The optical drive removal and the SSD's were pretty much as expected, but I think Apple have alienated quite a few folks here today.

swagi
Jun 11, 2012, 04:02 PM

Why not? Apple implements HDCP in their iTunes content and therefore you should be able to lug your bought iTunes content to someone not owning an Apple TV.

Now if anyone here can advice me on some good external BluRay stuff and how to get it to work, I might get one of these...:D

notjustjay
Jun 11, 2012, 04:03 PM

And how many business meetings or lectures do you go to where the presenter hooks into a TV set?

loderunner
Jun 11, 2012, 04:04 PM
Dying to know if the RAM or SSD is user-upgradable or if it's like the MacBook Air... Does anyone know?

I'm pretty sure both are not upgradable; the demo video on the apple site seem to show that the RAM is soldered directly on the board.
I'm pretty ignorant on SSD, but it looks really squeezed in place, hence don't expect it to be upgradable...

ArcaneDevice
Jun 11, 2012, 04:04 PM
And how many business meetings or lectures do you go to where the presenter hooks into a TV set?

And how many homes do you go to that have TV set? Or hotel rooms? Or conference rooms that have projectors? Or ...

iScott428
Jun 11, 2012, 04:05 PM
HDMI out allows you to connect to a TV directly. :D Shall I explain USB next? :cool:

Right, that is obviously the PURPOSE of HDMI, but why introduce it now on a device that will Airplay Mirror everything? I mean I would take a third thunderbolt port, Firewire, or Mini DVI instead of HDMI. Seems kind of limiting, plus all the Airplay support coming...

manu chao
Jun 11, 2012, 04:06 PM
Yes, but you can turn down the font size and still be able to read things. In applications like Aperture it means you can judge images at a smaller physical size.

puma1552
Jun 11, 2012, 04:07 PM
What's a MagSafe 2 connector?

rick98761
Jun 11, 2012, 04:08 PM
Yes, but you can turn down the font size and still be able to read things. In applications like Aperture it means you can judge images at a smaller physical size.

Right but won't all the window elements still take up more space then my current high res mbp? I really want one of these I just don't want to loose a bunch of work space.

notjustjay
Jun 11, 2012, 04:08 PM
I'm pretty sure both are not upgradable; the demo video on the apple site seem to show that the RAM is soldered directly on the board.
I'm pretty ignorant on SSD, but it looks really squeezed in place, hence don't expect it to be upgradable...

Which is ridiculous. Planned obsolescence at its finest.

My current MacBook Pro is from 2007. Yes, five years old and still holding on. I've upgraded the stock RAM and replaced the stock 120 GB hard drive with a 750 GB one -- if I couldn't have done that, then I would probably have gotten frustrated and sold the laptop two or three years ago. Obviously that's exactly what Apple wants.

"Way back when", one used to be able to marvel at how long a Mac would last compared to its Wintel counterparts. I guess Apple realized that wasn't making them money.

olowott
Jun 11, 2012, 04:09 PM

Make sure she doesn't get those new Shoes or Bag when it comes out too;)

33man
But.... Does it supports Flash? :D :D

Well amazing and for those complaining about no ethernet port... BUY the thunderbolt adapter !

And why not micro hdmi?

manu chao
If they were offering one, I'm sure they would have mentioned it.

I'm just guessing here, but I would say that the Intel HD4000 isn't powerful enough to drive a high resolution display and there isn't space for discrete graphics.

It's unfortunate too, because I was waiting for the 13" model as well.
The HD4000 is powerful enough to drive 'a' high-resolution display, just not two, ie, couldn't drive an internal retina display + a large external one.

ristlin
Jun 11, 2012, 04:10 PM

owned. :D

bitWrangler
Jun 11, 2012, 04:10 PM
Right, that is obviously the PURPOSE of HDMI, but why introduce it now on a device that will Airplay Mirror everything? I mean I would take a third thunderbolt port, Firewire, or Mini DVI instead of HDMI. Seems kind of limiting, plus all the Airplay support coming...

You can't "airplay" straight to a tv, you have to have an ATV connected, quite a bit more inconvenient than carrying just an hdmi cable.

While folks have chided the original question, it is a curious shift as Apple's solution up until this point has been to use a TB->HDMI/DVI converter. Finally an admission on Apple's part that these converters ALL suck (including their own)?

ristlin
Jun 11, 2012, 04:11 PM

If I did get this, I would like the HDMI to use my big TV as my monitor : O

WestonHarvey1

Yes. Not sure I'd want to try 2880x1800 on a 15" display.

I bet there will be a way to turn off HiDPI and try, though.

calvol

Hehe, and how many hours to dead battery? No way they get 7 hours running Retina display at normal brightness.

notjustjay
And how many homes do you go to that have TV set? Or hotel rooms? Or conference rooms that have projectors? Or ...

Right, so both HDMI and VGA/DVI still have their purpose. Plug into your TV set via the HDMI port, plug into projectors via DVI/VGA. Personally I plug into VGA projectors *far* more often than I plug into people's TVs. I have a DVI-to-HDMI dongle for that exact purpose, but I think I've used it only a handful of times. My DVI-to-VGA dongle has a permanent place in my laptop bag because I use it almost every time I have need to pick up my MBP and go somewhere.

At least HDMI is signal-compatible with DVI and hopefully they are also still sending an analog VGA signal for a VGA dongle.

charlieegan3
Jun 11, 2012, 04:13 PM
power on is the new eject!

manu chao
Jun 11, 2012, 04:13 PM
The old MBP is far better value. For $2100 you get everything on the $2700 Retina with the exception of an SSD and Retina display. Plus more ports, more hard drive storage space and an optical drive.

More ports? The retina has an an additional USB 3 port, an additional TB port and the HDMI port. It lacks FW800, Ethernet, and audio in. I call that a draw.

Banyan Bruce
Jun 11, 2012, 04:14 PM

Am I right that with Mountain Lion and iOS 6 you get Airplay for all Apple devices? If true why bother with HDMI leads everywhere, just use an Apple TV unit for your TV, Projector even if its a VGA projector.

This adapter will help you with any VGA issues you have.

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/05/10/kanex-atv-pro-apple-tv-airplay/

Apple TV rocks :)

xlii

The processor on the $2799 model is also faster... but I agree to me the $2199 one is the much better value. The big question I want to know, is the flash drive user upgradeable and also the memory?

T5BRICK
The HD4000 is powerful enough to drive 'a' high-resolution display, just not two, ie, couldn't drive an internal retina display + a large external one.

Couldn't exactly call it a "Pro" laptop if you aren't able to plug a second display in, right?

R3k
Jun 11, 2012, 04:15 PM

lol, I was thinking the exact same thing, was envisioning this Apple rep off camera grinding his teeth and taking a step forwards hands at the ready.

manu chao
Jun 11, 2012, 04:16 PM
While folks have chided the original question, it is a curious shift as Apple's solution up until this point has been to use a TB->HDMI/DVI converter. Finally an admission on Apple's part that these converters ALL suck (including their own)?
Technically, it is a mDP to HDMI/DVI converter, the TB can send either a DP signal or a TB signal (and the DP can be send over TB if the other end is also TB).

Ryth
Just wish it had 2GB of Video Ram on the 650

fs454
Couldn't exactly call it a "Pro" laptop if you aren't able to plug a second display in, right?

It has two GPUs. One Intel HD4000 and one 650M.

From the specs:

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors

Which means you can have up to three displays running at a time, including the one on the notebook. So absolutely maxed out you could have the 2880x1800 display, a 2560x1600 display, and another 2560x1600 display all running simultaneously as one large desktop or mirrored.

charlieegan3
Jun 11, 2012, 04:17 PM

its a wonderful feeling till you see how quickly they take it all!

mine ships in the same timeframe.

manu chao
Jun 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
Absolutely. It just shows that Apple rather releases nothing than a half-baked product (as a general rule, exceptions apply).

*Calypso*
Jun 11, 2012, 04:18 PM

So you suggest that people rather spend another $99 on an Apple TV instead of $5 on an HDMI cable? Maybe you should apply at :apple:, you seem to have great ideas on how to make even more profit with a $2199 device.

IanGahagan
Jun 11, 2012, 04:18 PM
I just broke down and bought one with the 2.6ghz processor, I think a made a good move being a graphic design student. I hope the year and a half of saving pays off for it being my first Mac. :) so stoked.

jonnysods
Jun 11, 2012, 04:19 PM
I think I'll just get an optibay enclosure for my 2011 MBP.

koruki

Edit: Because there are crap tons of morons on this site, why would Apple introduce HDMI on this macbook? Obviously it connects to TV's, I know 3 year olds who could have come up with a more clever response. Why HDMI and not Firewire or Mini DVI, is using an adapter too complicated now?

because people need to connect their machines to LCD TV's/projectors which most meeting/conference rooms have now. I've always had to bring my own displayport to hdmi adapters to work in the past.

people complain and stomp their feet about apple not support hdmi, as soon as they do someone says it makes no sense. As for your question about FW, I think the height of the FW port is what made them drop it just like they did with the ethernet port, it would force them to increase the thickness.

on a side note, I'm real happy they finally decided to drop the opticalbay. Now what to do with my 2011 17" MBP

iSee

Right: UI elements will be sized as for a conventional 1440x900 screen, but will be sharper.

However, I think we will effectively get more workspace when viewing scaleable content (video, web pages, office/iwork docs, etc.) because in a lot of cases it will feel comfortable and look good making these things smaller.

I'd guess it depends on your eyesight. I suppose some people might get little/no benefit from a Retina display.

vpro
Jun 11, 2012, 04:20 PM

I AM SUPER SUPER HAPPY for this New 15" Retina MBP!!!!!!

I am super super sad to not see the 17" in the family on the store anymore!!

I wonder if I can put in the order now for the highest end 15" Retina MBP and explore with it for a short time and 'IF' just 'if' the 17" is just waiting to come back into the lime light, then I can exchange it at the store?????????????? Pay the difference????????????? Store credit??????????????

*Shrugs*

SO HAPPY thank you APPLE - wow simply amazing.

Okay, I don't know about the air pulling vents, hmmm, might make harmonica sounds or whistling noises once it collects enough dust and pet hair no??????????????? Looking like a nightmare to clean out???????????

I DON'T like the look of the hinge for the screen direct on or from the side, not clean - flush look, something jars my view..

bartzumbari
Jun 11, 2012, 04:20 PM
The processor on the $2799 model is also faster... but I agree to me the $2199 one is the much better value. The big question I want to know, is the flash drive user upgradeable and also the memory?

Memory is definitely not upgradeable--the comparison table at Apple says the RAM is "on board". No idea about the flash--probably is upgradeable if you follow an iFixit guide.

Bart

manu chao
Jun 11, 2012, 04:21 PM
Right but won't all the window elements still take up more space then my current high res mbp? I really want one of these I just don't want to loose a bunch of work space.
Yes, they will but menubar and other chrome only take up a small part (maybe 20%) of the screen height (unless you have all toolbars turned on in Word).

R3k
Jun 11, 2012, 04:21 PM

Cause it worked for the Mac Mini, and because HDMI is becoming a quite common interface with Computer monitor screens. A client of mine just bought a Samsung LCD with HDMI and VGA only, and while this is not my cup of tea, it is what it is.

mitchleeh
Jun 11, 2012, 04:22 PM
Memory is definitely not upgradeable--the comparison table at Apple says the RAM is "on board". No idea about the flash--probably is upgradeable if you follow an iFixit guide.

Bart

I think SSD will be comparable to MacBook Air - you can upgrade it, but only OWC offers the upgrade and it's not cheap. RAM is soldered on.

AppleInMyBlood
Jun 11, 2012, 04:23 PM
It looks great, but no ethernet port? and the death of the 17" is still hurting here. The optical drive removal and the SSD's were pretty much as expected, but I think Apple have alienated quite a few folks here today.

Adaptor. Done. ;)

T5BRICK
Jun 11, 2012, 04:24 PM
It has two GPUs. One Intel HD4000 and one 650M.

From the specs:

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors

Which means you can have up to three displays running at a time, including the one on the notebook. So absolutely maxed out you could have the 2880x1800 display, a 2560x1600 display, and another 2560x1600 display all running simultaneously as one large desktop or mirrored.

I'm not talking about the current 15" model, I'm replying to a comment about a hypothetical 13" Retina MacBook Pro.

iScott428
Jun 11, 2012, 04:24 PM
So you suggest that people rather spend another $99 on an Apple TV instead of $5 on an HDMI cable? Maybe you should apply at :apple:, you seem to have great ideas on how to make even more profit with a $2199 device.

Yeah, I would. Unlike those that complain about no HDMI support, I complain about too many wires. We should be charging/sending/connecting completely wireless now. HDMI is not a bad solution, but very weird to introduce legacy tech on a completely forward thinking and revolutionary notebook.

z00tv
Jun 11, 2012, 04:26 PM
You can't really go much thinner than the height of the USB port, can you? ;)

Yes, apple will find a way. Then sell us an adapter for 29 bucks. And we will love it.

chrmjenkins
Jun 11, 2012, 04:27 PM
i always LOL at people taking pics with their iPad like that, it looks hilarious.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/terminal05/2012/3/25/15/enhanced-buzz-10651-1332703245-54.jpg

ultranoia
Jun 11, 2012, 04:30 PM
Mac Pro has been quietly updated in the Apple Store.

dwarnecke11
Jun 11, 2012, 04:31 PM
That screen, that processor, that SSD... pure computing nirvana.

I really wish I needed this ...but my 2010 iMac is just too good. It doesn't feel a day old!

EDM.Agent.Smith
Jun 11, 2012, 04:31 PM
Darn it, I wonder if I can trade in my 2 months MBP 15in and pay the differences haha. I wanna swap out for the retina display!

bartzumbari
Jun 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
More ports? The retina has an an additional USB 3 port, an additional TB port and the HDMI port. It lacks FW800, Ethernet, and audio in. I call that a draw.

The pictures on the Apple website only show two USB3 ports--same as the non-retina MBP. It's not a draw, but it'll break one way or the other depending on the individual. I never need HDMI, but I daily need ethernet and firewire 800. I can see how others would like HDMI.

Bart

samuelelbaz
Jun 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
Are these on display at stores yet do they do that the same day also, so you can actually see it in person before you order it?

Macboy Pro
Jun 11, 2012, 04:34 PM
Glorified, overpriced 15" Macbook Air with 1YR warranty on all parts, including the RAM and SSD since its non-upgradeable. Retina screen is junk with a 1440 display. Its not a pro and glad they removed that (if its true). This is a disappointment to anyone actually paying attention. ALOT to give up to gain 3/16 of an inch in thinness.

SockRolid
Jun 11, 2012, 04:35 PM
When the original MacBook Air was released, its tagline was "The future of notebooks."

Well, that future is now.

fxtech
Jun 11, 2012, 04:36 PM

I know this thing will change your life completely and all, but don't forget to eat and sleep! It can't replace those yet, especially before it arrives.

Kimbie
Jun 11, 2012, 04:38 PM
With all the prattling on about the HDMI port, will the TB ports not act as display ports?

Only ask is if you configure the retina MBP one of the cables you can add is Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter right under the Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Kimbie

fxtech
Jun 11, 2012, 04:38 PM
Yes, apple will find a way. Then sell us an adapter for 29 bucks. And we will love it.

I personally won't be happy until I end up slicing a finger off each time I pick up my laptop. That's probably why they're adding Siri to everything.

aloshka
Jun 11, 2012, 04:39 PM
Anyone have any clue what this will look like when hooked into a 27" thunderbolt display? I mean, will the display show everything huge since hidpi on a normal display = huge ass fonts.

bartzumbari
Jun 11, 2012, 04:40 PM

4)The $1799 (among others) Pro ships with a VERY weak 4GB of ram and 5400RPM drive. It also tops out at 8GB of ram and can't push 1920x1080. Again, this is labeled a "pro" machine...

All around some fair upgrades and they look nice...but the pricing is way off base...and no, I'm not buying a 13" laptop...those died in 1996.

I agree, Apple seems petty even offering a 5200 rpm drive. The current generation MBP can be upgraded to 16G for a little over $100 from Newegg. I reckon the same will be the case for this machine once the new 1600MHz DDR3 is available.

Bart

manu chao
The pictures on the Apple website only show two USB3 ports--same as the non-retina MBP. It's not a draw, but it'll break one way or the other depending on the individual. I never need HDMI, but I daily need ethernet and firewire 800. I can see how others would like HDMI.

I could have sworn that macrumors said three USB 3 ports in their liveblog. I need DVI or HDMI daily and I need FW800 daily, ie, I already needed a dongle for my 2009 and 2011 MBPs. Switching to the retina 15" MBP, I would replace the mDP to DVI or HDMI dongle with a TB to FW800 dongle. So, for me it would be a draw.

aloshka
Regardless, I just ordered one, except now the time frame is 5-10 business days. Damn!

faroZ06
Jun 11, 2012, 04:44 PM
No FireWire??! It's fine if they make ThunderBolt the new pro cable with adapters to FireWire also, but Apple needs to promote ThunderBolt more. It's too obscure and expensive.

----------

Regardless, I just ordered one, except now the time frame is 5-10 business days. ****!

Well I have to wait... forever.

Zendokan
Jun 11, 2012, 04:44 PM
I just maxed out the 15"MBP retina...it's 3957,99 ($4949.07) :eek:

That's a lot of money...I had set my sights on the 2012 model (all do I would had prefered a 17"), but with such prizes :( I will have to do some decent soul searching to justify buying one.

bushido
Jun 11, 2012, 04:45 PM
won't the basic "internet" as in the average website look like crap on such a resolution?

just wondering, i have no idea

cdmoore74
My heart says yes, but my mind says no.

My mind says yes buy my wallet says no. Guess I will stick with my retina iPad.

tom vilsack
-could reviewer beat the poor macbook pro on bottom anymore!
-seemed to be rather long boot time? (my 2007 macbook with ssd and sl boots in 19 secs)
-would wait a month or so for release with ml and make sure no bugs (overheating ect)
-very expensive with tax (here in cdn) top model would be well north of $3000
-over all seems nice...but something about today's whole model releases,leave me wanting

/dev/toaster
Jun 11, 2012, 04:46 PM
Regardless, I just ordered one, except now the time frame is 5-10 business days. Damn!

It's 2 - 3 weeks for me ... since I upgraded the SSD :(

faroZ06
Jun 11, 2012, 04:47 PM
won't the basic "internet" as in the average website look like crap on such a resolution?

No, it would look the same as it would on a regular display.

Same resolution and same window size => same quality.

Moonjumper
Jun 11, 2012, 04:48 PM

You can exchange retina for a larger workspace.

Supported resolutions: 2880 by 1800 pixels (Retina); scaled resolutions: 1920 by 1200, 1680 by 1050, 1280 by 800, and 1024 by 640 pixels

aloshka
It's 2 - 3 weeks for me ... since I upgraded the SSD :(

Ehh.. yeah 768 sounds nice.. but 500 bucks is way too much for me. I kept my build exactly at 3k. Anything more is too much.

gugy
These laptops look incredible.
I'll just miss the 17 inch. I really enjoyed the extra screen size.
Oh well.....:rolleyes:

gturban
Jun 11, 2012, 04:50 PM
Anyone know what difference that 0.1GHz speed-bump and 2MB in cache would do for performance? Great if anyone here has some insight and facts to share..!
Edit: I am naturally going to do the 16 GB RAM upgrade.

olly593
Jun 11, 2012, 04:50 PM
It looks awesome but 2,000, it's a pity he scratched the ***** out of the one below, may have been a good second hand buy

Bubba Satori
Jun 11, 2012, 04:51 PM
These laptops look incredible.
I'll just miss the 17 inch. I really enjoyed the extra screen size.
Oh well.....:rolleyes:

Expect used 17" MBP price to go up.

Moonjumper
Jun 11, 2012, 04:52 PM
Fantastic for including the retina, but there is no matte option. The live blog mentioned the screen had been made less reflective, but by how much?

calaverasgrande
Jun 11, 2012, 04:52 PM
well the no ethernet and no FW800 are dealbreakers for me.
I really dont get why they have 2TB ports AND HDMI but not these regular ports?
I guess in Cupertino they think it is more common that folks will hook up to two external monitors rather than an ethernet patch cable.

aloshka
Jun 11, 2012, 04:53 PM
Anyone know what difference that 0.1GHz speed-bump and 2MB in cache would do for performance? Great if anyone here has some insight and facts to share..!

.1 won't make a big difference but 2mb cache will. Especially if you use virtualization. Speaking from experience maybe a 3% increase in noticeable speed.

I.am.Andy
Jun 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
Hi,
I'm wondering whether the memory is fixed to the amount when purchased.
If I buy it with 8 GB can I upgrade later to 16 GB?

/dev/toaster
Jun 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
Ehh.. yeah 768 sounds nice.. but 500 bucks is way too much for me. I kept my build exactly at 3k. Anything more is too much.

Sadly, I need it ... I carry way too much crap with me :P

ahfu25
Jun 11, 2012, 04:55 PM
I expect to see poor college kids with $2000+ macbook pros at Starbucks soon browsing for jobs.

The world we live in lol

I agree 1000%...lol

TopToffee
Jun 11, 2012, 04:55 PM
Am I the only one who actually doesn't think this is overpriced, considering what's packed in there? (especially in terms of the display)

aloshka
Jun 11, 2012, 04:58 PM
Hi,
I'm wondering whether the memory is fixed to the amount when purchased.
If I buy it with 8 GB can I upgrade later to 16 GB?

On the presentation it looked soldered. I would guess so is the ssd (not likely)

----------

Sadly, I need it ... I carry way too much crap with me :P

Ya. The stores in Colorado had a few of them, but they aren't allowed to sell them today. I was wondering which versions they had. I doubt they have the 768gb edition, but my business rep said he'd call me when he found out.

Danoc
Jun 11, 2012, 05:00 PM
At least, the next gen Macbook Pro is advertised with pro stuffs. Video editing, science and engineering.

It will be like the MBA: first MBA was around $2,000.00. Two years laters, it's the most selling macbook, first price $1,000.00.

I am expecting a next gen MBP line up in 2013, with 13" and 15" between $1,300.00 and 2,200.00. And the existing MBP line to be discontinued.

I.am.Andy
Jun 11, 2012, 05:01 PM
On the presentation it looked soldered. I would guess so is the ssd (not likely)

----------

So I'll have to pay additional 190 Euro to get 16 GB instead of 8. :confused:

Demigod Mac
Jun 11, 2012, 05:02 PM
Has there been any word on which type of panel the new display has?

A TN-panel retina display would be disappointing. Hope it's IPS.

Manzzle
Jun 11, 2012, 05:02 PM
I agree very much that the pricing is too up there for this 15" macbook pro.

I'm using a 2007 MacBook Pro 17" with an antiglare display with max res of 1680x1050.

For my line of work going to a 15" with only 1440x900 workspace would make my work uncomfortable.

I don't think these new macbook pros are meant for photographers and and graphic designers.

If I were to get a new macbook pro it would have to be from Apple's refurbished list where the 17" is still there, or try ebay. I liked the 1920x1200 res those 17" provided.

Bad apple.

Aniday
Jun 11, 2012, 05:04 PM
No audio in? uhhhhhhhhh.

derp. Guess they don't want people who work with audio to use this.

Edit: I derped. I meant audio-in.

JAT
Jun 11, 2012, 05:04 PM

Apple site says IPS.

aloshka
Jun 11, 2012, 05:05 PM

The keynote mentions "greatly improved viewing angles". I would think that means ips. Also, I don't think you can make a tn retina display. You can pack more pixels using ips (I can explain better if anyone is interested).

baruch
Unfortunate that without the optical drive and with the retina display the cost is so much higher.

JAT
No audio out? uhhhhhhhhh.

You mean digital? Analog is there.

nutjob
Jun 11, 2012, 05:06 PM

1)The cost is insane for the low end 15" for $1799. And the $2199 Retina ONLY comes in a 256GB SSD. I have to shell out $600+ for the privilege of getting a larger drive by buying the $2799 model.

2)It's not a pro machine for the price....it's built to be lighter, thinner, and sexier. Those qualities do not define "pro".

3)The Macbook became the Macbook Pro and the Retina Pro is a new model. Talk about mucking around with branding.

My suggestion: get a second job, or third.

----------

Aren't they combined analog and optical digital?

baruch

There is one port for headphones and microphone...yeah, lame...between that and the huge price increase...not interested.

I.am.Andy

There is audio out. But no microphone jacket.

JAT
Aren't they combined analog and optical digital?
Usually, but it doesn't say that this time. I can see that being disappointing to some.

/dev/toaster
Jun 11, 2012, 05:08 PM

----------

Ya. The stores in Colorado had a few of them, but they aren't allowed to sell them today. I was wondering which versions they had. I doubt they have the 768gb edition, but my business rep said he'd call me when he found out.

I called the flag ship store in San Francisco, they said they had no info on when they would be getting them in. I asked them to guess and they said _maybe_ next week.

I will check back in a day or so. If they have them I will just buy it there instead of waiting weeks.

mmille24
Jun 11, 2012, 05:10 PM
I waited a while for this but after much thinking, I'm going to pass on it.

The fact that the ram and SSD drives aren't upgradeable is pretty much a non starter for me.

Add on top of that the cost and possible bugs, I'll wait for the next model.

Baklava
Jun 11, 2012, 05:10 PM
I am really happy to be a 17" MBP owner. I need the 1920x1200 screen size.

toke lahti
Jun 11, 2012, 05:11 PM
Update: The Verge has also posted a gallery of hands-on photos (http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/11/3078913/new-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-hands-on-pictures) of the new MacBook Pro.
"Screen is, alas, highly reflective but incredibly crisp and bright."
To me this is not PRO and I lost interest.
Why make a portable machine, where you can't have benefit of small pixels, but instead just get annoyed by reflections. I hate reflections with my new iPad...

And to use it like PRO, you'll have to add that Belkin's or any other tb-dock, which is $400-500 more to have normal ports that PROs need (fw, ethernet, esata, etc.)
I just wish that some day Apple's tech will be so advanced, that they can just add features without taking old ones away.

Killing 17" and fake update on MP just show how much love Apple have for PROs...
Yeah, Finnish Apple Store does not even have refurbished section anymore, maybe because there was nothing ever when it still existed...

nutjob
Jun 11, 2012, 05:13 PM
Where is the teardown already?

Osnabrueck
Jun 11, 2012, 05:13 PM
Anyone have any clue what this will look like when hooked into a 27" thunderbolt display? I mean, will the display show everything huge since hidpi on a normal display = huge ass fonts.

I have a clue.

OSX is able to discern between HiPPI (aka 'Retina') and standard displays. So to answer your question, the output will look exactly the same as any other MacBook Pro plugged into a 27" thunderbolt display.

I already do this using Air Display with the New iPad. Everything on iPad is Retina, everything on the MBP main display is normal.

Now with that said - SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY APPLE.

nutjob
Jun 11, 2012, 05:14 PM
I just wish that some day Apple's tech will be so advanced, that they can just add features without taking old ones away.

Taking away unnecessary features is the key to their design.

paradox00
Jun 11, 2012, 05:15 PM
I waited a while for this but after much thinking, I'm going to pass on it.

The fact that the ram and SSD drives aren't upgradeable is pretty much a non starter for me.

Add on top of that the cost and possible bugs, I'll wait for the next model.

How do you know the SSD isn't upgradable? The Air's is.

MattUK
Jun 11, 2012, 05:17 PM
I wonder if that new shiny 15.4" retina macbook pro for 2199$ will be compatible with a new 27" thunderbolt display (that will sooner or later arrive...) ??

I am considering buying a new 13 inch macbook pro 2.5Ghz DualCore i5 with 8gb RAM... Will that Intel HD Graphics 4000 be enough to use it with retina 27" external display when it becomes available ?? Is there a BTO option for 13" pro`s with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory ??

I don't really care about a retina in a laptop. It is a 27" display that will look amazing with a retina ! So will a new macbook pro 13" be compatible ???

mmille24
Jun 11, 2012, 05:18 PM
How do you know the SSD isn't upgradable? The Air's is.

Everything looks soldered in. I suppose we won't know for sure until someone tears it down.

Craigy
Jun 11, 2012, 05:19 PM
Is it just me - or does this thing have no Kensington lock?

If not - that is crazy.

mohsy90
Jun 11, 2012, 05:20 PM
Taking away unnecessary features is the key to their design.

Exactly. But, Apple is clearly moving towards what large base of their consumers want. Most of the people that will end up buying this will just use it for everyday use, games, movies, browsing, etc.

But, by removing the Ethernet port and the optical drive, they are hurting the professionals that need that extra internet speed and optical drive for old projects or whatever they may have saved.

I'm not a professional but I can understand the frustration that some have with this new design.

mmille24
Jun 11, 2012, 05:24 PM
Exactly. But, Apple is clearly moving towards what large base of their consumers want. Most of the people that will end up buying this will just use it for everyday use, games, movies, browsing, etc.

But, by removing the Ethernet port and the optical drive, they are hurting the professionals that need that extra internet speed and optical drive for old projects or whatever they may have saved.

I'm not a professional but I can understand the frustration that some have with this new design.

Dude, it's insanely easy to move things to USB drives.

CDs are dead. It's a good thing.

WannaGoMac

My current MacBook Pro is from 2007. Yes, five years old and still holding on. I've upgraded the stock RAM and replaced the stock 120 GB hard drive with a 750 GB one -- if I couldn't have done that, then I would probably have gotten frustrated and sold the laptop two or three years ago. Obviously that's exactly what Apple wants.

"Way back when", one used to be able to marvel at how long a Mac would last compared to its Wintel counterparts. I guess Apple realized that wasn't making them money.

I am confused. 5 years of use is too short? And is it broken now and doesn't work anymore to do whatever you were doing this morning before the keynote??

lwood1
Points if you heard the iPhone Tweet sound.

Who else cringed when Tim turned the laptop around on top of the other?

star-affinity
Jun 11, 2012, 05:26 PM

You know there's the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter? Should work fine I think, probably no bottlenecks as USB to Ethernet adapter (at list with USB 2).

a.gomez
I agree very much that the pricing is too up there for this 15" macbook pro.

I'm using a 2007 MacBook Pro 17" with an antiglare display with max res of 1680x1050.

For my line of work going to a 15" with only 1440x900 workspace would make my work uncomfortable.

I don't think these new macbook pros are meant for photographers and and graphic designers.

If I were to get a new macbook pro it would have to be from Apple's refurbished list where the 17" is still there, or try ebay. I liked the 1920x1200 res those 17" provided.

Bad apple.

exactly, you have to be insane to pay 2200 and get no extra workspace - I'm keeping my 17 inch under lock and key.

andrewlgm
Wow. How come battery life isn't increasing for any of the models? We have HP offering close to 9 hours on a single charge. :| that's my main concern and I'd gladly give up the retina screen for a 10 hour battery life. My 2009 white MacBook still holds at 6.30. That's 2009.

Dr McKay
Jun 11, 2012, 05:28 PM

Because almost every other computer monitor in existance that isnt an Apple Display has HDMI.

Mini DVI isn't as common as HDMI. This allows you a tonne more options to connect to external devices without the need for more adapters. But thanks for insulting everybody who doesn't agree with you.

The images like Website logos and thumbnails on the web will, but the text will look stunning.

mohsy90
Jun 11, 2012, 05:29 PM
Dude, it's insanely easy to move things to USB drives.

CDs are dead. It's a good thing.

Some still use them, for you and me it maybe dead. But cant really speak for all professionals, but clearly some still want them.

Personally, I've never used my optical drive on my 1yr old MBP, so i hear ya.

paradox00
Jun 11, 2012, 05:30 PM
Wow. How come battery life isn't increasing for any of the models? We have HP offering close to 9 hours on a single charge. :| that's my main concern and I'd gladly give up the retina screen for a 10 hour battery life. My 2009 white MacBook still holds at 6.30. That's 2009.

Correction. HP is claiming 9 hours. I hear you though.

faroZ06
Jun 11, 2012, 05:31 PM
Expect used 17" MPB price to go up.

Good, my mom has one!

----------

Some still use them, for you and me it maybe dead. But cant really speak for all professionals, but clearly some still want them.

CDs are useless, but DVDs are good. They're cheap and can hold 4.7GB. Rewritable DVDs cost $1 each if you buy them in a pack.

darkplanets
Jun 11, 2012, 05:32 PM
Neat-o.

But my concern lies in real-world use battery life. Pure Internet usage doesn't count well towards average battery life if you end up using graphic heavy applications.

All those pixels cost something to push.

It's a real shame they didn't transfer some of those "advances" to the regular MBPs... I mean seriously, a new fan, thinner body, etc would be sweet. Valid marketing tactic though -- you want improvements beyond a better display, buy the new device.

Still think the only difference between the two should have been the display resolution though.

mohsy90
Jun 11, 2012, 05:32 PM

Oh please, do not mention that crap HP Mini 1104. It's 10% crap hardware and 90% battery. There is a reason why that puny little machine can go for 9-hours (supposedly)

ipedro
Jun 11, 2012, 05:33 PM
My 17" MBP still lives. Late 2009 to mid 2013. It can handle it.

Let's see what this looks like when they're ready to discontinue the classic MBP and they've worked out all the kinks.

*Calypso*
Jun 11, 2012, 05:34 PM
Is it just me - or does this thing have no Kensington lock?

If not - that is crazy.

No it doesn't. And I personally wouldn't trust a Kensington lock with a $2.500 laptop. It might be sufficient to secure a mid-priced laptop during a bathroom break in the library, but a high-end notebook that is easily identified as one best stays close to you at all time or at least safely locked away.

darkplanets
Jun 11, 2012, 05:34 PM
Because almost every other computer monitor in existance that isnt an Apple Display has HDMI.

Mini DVI isn't as common as HDMI. This allows you a tonne more options to connect to external devices without the need for more adapters. But thanks for insulting everybody who doesn't agree with you.

I think perhaps he more-so meant to push other display standards like TB or DP. To be honest, I think display port is better video-only protocol.

atomic luck
Jun 11, 2012, 05:35 PM
I don't get it. No 11" or 13" MacBook Pro nor 11" or 13" MacBookAir even with an upgrade to a Retina screen? For those of us that travel, Apple has left us out of the loop. We new are forced to keep our old Mac's, buy a Mac that is to large and cumbersome to carry for months on end and 10,000's of thousands miles ... or consider stepping away from Apple totally. :(

sartios
Jun 11, 2012, 05:36 PM
So the two ivy bridge variants of the new MacBook are: i7-3610qm @ 2.3Ghz and i7-3820qm @ 2.7Ghz, they want another 500 for the latter and and extra 256GB SSD. I think I'll be going for the 1800 model.

According to passmark there is about 1300 points difference between the two CPUs, not enough to warrant another 500 IMO.

They could of chucked in a gt 670m for a bit better gaming performance, I wonder how well Diablo III runs at native res with the gt 650m, that's another thing, as the screen resolution is now a lot higher than 1080p the little 650m won't drive most games at native resolution very well and will need to dropped down to about 1366x768 on some demanding games to run fluently, it's going to make me feel sick dropping resolutions that low lol.

Still, can't wait to order it!

2contagious
Jun 11, 2012, 05:38 PM
would anyone buy the non-retina over this even if it's a few hundred cheaper? I don't see why anyone would.

I would. I am a graphic designer and I can't stand retina displays (yet). The content just isn't there yet... I don't want upscaled mushy low-res web graphics, just because my screen has more pixels and needs to make them larger to be the same size as on a normal res screen :/

EDIT: The only way that could be solves is if the scaling on the retina display is so good, that it beats having the 1680x1050 HiRes option on the "old" one. On the iPad 3 it's an unsolvable problem, since you can't change the screen resolution :/

phpmaven
Jun 11, 2012, 05:40 PM
It looks awesome but 2,000, it's a pity he scratched the ***** out of the one below, may have been a good second hand buy

LOL, I was thinking exactly the same thing. I was wincing like I was watching somebody get kicked in the nads every time he "scraaapppped" those two Macs against each other. What a dufus!

wimdows
Jun 11, 2012, 05:42 PM
Just to confirm, flash memory and RAM are both soldered on in the new retina MBP, so forget DIY upgrades post purchase.

It seemed pretty obvious from looking at the components in the videos. Had it confirmed from Apple online in a chat conversation.

It's a bit annoying they don't make it absolutely clear from the configuration pages in the store.

bbell2000
Jun 11, 2012, 05:42 PM

Have you actually *seen* an HP last 9 hours?

thekev
Jun 11, 2012, 05:46 PM

My MacBook is hitting 5 years old. I am going to need to find a replacement from someone. I will keep the MacBook just to use Pages and Keynote '06 and as a file server. Still, no one deserves my money.

No mac pro update + this :mad:. It wouldn't be the first time Apple had genuine heat problems. Look at their discussion boards. People would try to transcode on them. Many found that even plugged into the wall, it would drain their batteries. I still want the computer to be capable of going all out.

My Macbook has burned me. Over on Notebookcheck they do thermals at idle and load for the upper/lower case. Some notebooks are scarier though!

Yar... Apple has burned me many times. Which ones were scarier?

Second Edit: Your Retina Macbook Pro will have MORE pixels than your HD Tv, by a long shot, so why would I want less pixels and a (Much) larger screen? Convenience of hook up is not a reason either, by now you probably own a slew of adapters and cable options to connect your Mac to a HDTV.

It is possibly for the TV thing and streaming through the Apple TV box. I realize that the computer has more pixels, but the new pixel count is higher than the content resolution anyway. You'd still get to view it on a larger display, and this allows you to watch it with others. Crowding around a laptop would not be fun. If they went the mini displayport route instead given that thunderbolt chips only support two ports last time I checked, some people would get confused.

You know what annoys me. They went cheap on vram. Adobe's applications suggest 1GB of vram. Many games suggest this too. This shouldn't be an issue on a device that was just updated for the year. At this price range with a new device, these things should not be cutting it so close.

Osnabrueck
Jun 11, 2012, 05:48 PM

I'm a designer at a media production company - I have yet to use my optical drive this year. I use WiFi instead of plugging-in at the office.

By my yardstick, professionals aren't hurt by these decisions.

colinwil
Jun 11, 2012, 05:48 PM

It's to get the new thickness. If you look at your existing unibody MBP you'll see that there's already hardly any spare aluminium above & below these ports.

SamVilde
Jun 11, 2012, 05:49 PM
:(
I don't need it today, but I'm coming up on needing a replacement for my 13 inch. I was looking forward to seeing what that would look like. If I get the new one (thereby having to get the 15), it's a thousand dollar difference to upgrade, since I'd get the 13 inch otherwise. Not going to happen. Not a minor price difference. Sad.

marksman
Jun 11, 2012, 05:49 PM

You are silly. Hdmi makes sense for 99.99% of the users. Using FireWire or something else none of those people want and then use an adapter is silly. Ease of use is important. It is like you don't even comprehend your own words.

Ryth
Jun 11, 2012, 05:51 PM
No mac pro update + this :mad:.

Mac Pro's were stealth updated.

cppguy
Jun 11, 2012, 05:53 PM
Some still use them

There's an external DVD drive available, which does the trick when you do need it once every 5 years. Besides, there're still MacBook Pro models with DVD drives built in, for those who absolutely must have it. DVDs are ridiculously outdated, a single SD card holds many times as much data.

I personally prefer SSD + HDD combo rather than DVD, which is what I have in my 2011 MBP. I'm running numerous VMs (several Windows and Linux virtual machines for software development at work), as well as editing a large amount of my photographs. It is cheaper this way, for the time being, than one enormous SSD.

Mundty
"Where the Air is tapered, this has a constant thickness throughout."

Perfect! Love the Air, but I'm thrilled that the MBP remains "taperless"!:D

I think the taper is a bad design choice, I'm glad they decided to leave the form factor along and just shrink the thickness. The MacBook Pro and iPhone 4 are currently the nicest designs Johnny and his team have ever created.

Chastepe
Can someone tell me exactly what has been updated on Mac Pros? Thanks:)

lverg
Jun 11, 2012, 05:54 PM
Does anyone know why there's no MacBook Pro branding at the bottom of the screen? It isn't there in the pictures on the Apple website either. :confused:

mmille24
Jun 11, 2012, 05:54 PM
Just to confirm, flash memory and RAM are both soldered on in the new retina MBP, so forget DIY upgrades post purchase.

It seemed pretty obvious from looking at the components in the videos. Had it confirmed from Apple online in a chat conversation.

It's a bit annoying they don't make it absolutely clear from the configuration pages in the store.

Thanks for the legwork. That's a non-starter for me. 2200 dollars for a laptop with 256 GB. Yikes!

O and A
Jun 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
I've looked but is the SSD user upgradeable?

It doesn't seem like the ram is. which is disappointing.

Mundty
Jun 11, 2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the legwork. That's a non-starter for me. 2200 dollars for a laptop with 256 GB. Yikes!

Yea I'll wait for the price to come down, with the hardware they're giving you that's simply not worth the price imo.

marksman
Jun 11, 2012, 05:57 PM

While I still happily use my 2008 17" hi res Mbp every day I think their motivations are not that sinister. The biggest issue is likely space and design and a secondary issue of support. Planned obselensce is no higher than third and maybe lower than that.

O and A
Jun 11, 2012, 05:58 PM
I don't get it. No 11" or 13" MacBook Pro nor 11" or 13" MacBookAir even with an upgrade to a Retina screen? For those of us that travel, Apple has left us out of the loop. We new are forced to keep our old Mac's, buy a Mac that is to large and cumbersome to carry for months on end and 10,000's of thousands miles ... or consider stepping away from Apple totally. :(

"forced to keep your old mac"

Yeah i don't think apple is forcing you to do anything. if you followed the rumors this is pretty much what everyone expected.

Pretty much the most idiotic post i've seen today.

Ryth
Jun 11, 2012, 05:59 PM
Can someone tell me exactly what has been updated on Mac Pros? Thanks:)

http://gizmodo.com/5917271/the-mac-pro-is-half+dead-apple-has-kind-of-updated-one-of-its-most-venerable-lines

sikkinixx
Jun 11, 2012, 06:01 PM
ITT: People moaning and groaning about features 95% of people don't use but are shocked Apple would drop them.

Apple of my eye
Jun 11, 2012, 06:03 PM
Wouldn't it be great if the HDMI port could act as an input also.

kazmac
Jun 11, 2012, 06:04 PM
Trying to subdue the Magpie reflex "Oooh, new shiny, faster etc. MBP/MBA..."

I'm very curious about the battery life differences with the retina display and without.

My 2010 iMac and current iPad work just fine so I'll stifle the magpie inside me squawking something fierce.

MartiNZ
Jun 11, 2012, 06:05 PM
Okay I'm seriously missing something here.

The high-end rMBP upped to 16GB RAM is cheaper than the normal 15" MBP upped to 16GB RAM and the same 512GB SSD ... why is there complaining here? The rMBP seems amazing, and finally an HDMI too!

Michael Scrip
Jun 11, 2012, 06:06 PM
I guess in Cupertino they think it is more common that folks will hook up to two external monitors rather than an ethernet patch cable.

A Thunderbolt port can be used for Thunderbolt, Firewire* and Ethernet*

But an Ethernet port can only be used for Ethernet...

*Adapter required

O and A
Jun 11, 2012, 06:06 PM

Apple will always tell you the SSD is not upgradeable. THey say that for the macbook air. You won't actually know until someone tears it down.

sartios
Jun 11, 2012, 06:10 PM

The majority of consumers use HDMI for most of their products now, it's simple to use, no one wants to plug in adapters etc.

It may have a higher resolution now, but with the 4K televisions on the horizon, it won't be higher, HDMI 1.4 has a maximum output resolution of 4096x2160, therefore a massive increase the already massive resolution of the new MacBook.

Your post is is utter nonsense.

DrumApple
Jun 11, 2012, 06:11 PM
Grrr what the hell is it with the glossy screens? I want MATTE, ANTI-GLARE, NON-GLOSSY. What's the point of having extra crisp typography when all you can see is the floor lamp behind you? :mad:

ghsNick
Jun 11, 2012, 06:13 PM
The only thing that sucks abut this option is the hard drive space.
So little for over 2k!

marksman
Jun 11, 2012, 06:14 PM
Glorified, overpriced 15" Macbook Air with 1YR warranty on all parts, including the RAM and SSD since its non-upgradeable. Retina screen is junk with a 1440 display. Its not a pro and glad they removed that (if its true). This is a disappointment to anyone actually paying attention. ALOT to give up to gain 3/16 of an inch in thinness.

People talking about the minimal amount of thickness reduction have no concept of proportion. It is like saying a 4'3" person is almost as tall as a 5'6" person.

sartios
Jun 11, 2012, 06:14 PM
Grrr what the hell is it with the glossy screens? I want MATTE, ANTI-GLARE, NON-GLOSSY. What's the point of having extra crisp typography when all you can see is the floor lamp behind you? :mad:

Apple have stated the new glossy screen has a 75% reduction in glare, i personally prefer the glossy screen, looks so smart.

swingerofbirch
Jun 11, 2012, 06:15 PM
Does anyone know if you can turn the HiDPI mode off? I know you would need a magnifying glass for UI elements, but it could possibly be cool for a few use case scenarios, none of which I can think of now except for the cool factor of seeing a desktop that expansive :)

wimdows
Jun 11, 2012, 06:15 PM
Apple will always tell you the SSD is not upgradeable. THey say that for the macbook air. You won't actually know until someone tears it down.

It's soldered in. Period. It's not a stand-alone SATA pluggable SSD. Check the Keynote Videos.

marksman
Jun 11, 2012, 06:17 PM

I am guessing because it is no longer 2002.

jamesnajera
Jun 11, 2012, 06:18 PM
Are the new Retina MacBook Pro's based on IGZO?

wimdows
Jun 11, 2012, 06:18 PM
Does anyone know if you can turn the HiDPI mode off? I know you would need a magnifying glass for UI elements, but it could possibly be cool for a few use case scenarios, none of which I can think of now except for the cool factor of seeing a desktop that expansive :)

You can run 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 non-native resolution. So that would mean non retina mode so more screen estate, and we'd have to wait and see what that actually looks like.

Dr McKay
Jun 11, 2012, 06:20 PM
I wonder what Windows would make of this if you installed it on one. Would be amazing to have that resolution, although Microsoft did say Windows 8 would support Retina displays and promised "they're coming".

Looks like other companies are still waiting for Windows 8 to launch before they ship Retina screens.

newdeal
Jun 11, 2012, 06:24 PM
I think they will eventually, it just isn't happening this year. Maybe the next refresh? Like I said to another poster, I doubt current Intel integrated graphics can handle the resolution, and there isn't space in the 13" model for discrete graphics.

This is an odd statement. There is plenty of room for discrete graphics in the 13. They take out the optical drive which is way bigger than a graphics chip. The problem isnt that the problem is two things, first the 15" was already so overpriced they could make it without it being sold at poor margins, the 13" is more reasonable so the premium for retina would have been so much people would be unlikely to pay it until the price comes down on the panels and second the battery life is unacceptable which is why they didnt do it, the battery on the 15" is way bigger than the old one and there would be no room for a battery that size in the 13". That is also why anyone who thought the air was getting retina was on crack.

needfx
Revolution first, evolution later.

I'll wait for the minor spec bump prior to purchasing one. Also, let all the kinks be worked out first. Same thing I did with the 11' air (edit, not with the iphone 4 though).

Just my $3000,00

edit
A hands on is in order though when available

Anonymouslives
You can run 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 non-native resolution. So that would mean non retina mode so more screen estate, and we'd have to wait and see what that actually looks like.

How would we do that exactly? Where would the option to do that be? I'm interested in this model if your suggestion would work out, however, if not, working on a native 1440x900 would simply piss me off, as it does on the iPad 3 with its native 768x1024

newdeal
Jun 11, 2012, 06:26 PM
I hope pixel doubling apps doesnt make them look as horrible as it did on the ipad. Also the apps on the retina ipad were far bigger, wonder if it was really wise to go retina and therefore make bigger apps and simultaneously decrease storage due to using an ssd

ThunderSkunk
Jun 11, 2012, 06:26 PM
I'll take six. ...but I'll wait til July so they come with Mt Lion.

marksman
Jun 11, 2012, 06:27 PM

Well if they are really professionals they already know they eventually have to migrate to new technologies and can't just sit around demanding new devices supporting out dated technology instead.

Doesn't really sound like an argument a PRO would make. Maybe a POR or a wannabe. In 2012 complaining this device with its inputs is lacking because of no Ethernet and esata is not pro at all.

Konrad
Jun 11, 2012, 06:28 PM
Don't get me wrong, I have been waiting for this refresh, but a couple of things bother me.
What does this mean? It may mean that the Non-Retina MacBook Pro will only exist for one revision (Notice DVD already gone).

You are most likely correct about the last generation...however the DVD does appear to still be present in both sizes.

steve-p
Jun 11, 2012, 06:28 PM
It's not likely to look very good. It never has on any previous LCD monitor when using a non-native resolution. Besides, if you do that you are not getting the benefit of retina, so why even bother with retina in the first place?

Cheffy Dave
Jun 11, 2012, 06:29 PM

Just wake up?:rolleyes:

Aniday
Jun 11, 2012, 06:31 PM

I meant audio-in. My bad.

There's no audio-in. Ridiculous.

I really don't get why they're making the Macbook Pro like a Macbook Air.

Renzatic
Jun 11, 2012, 06:37 PM
I wonder what Windows would make of this if you installed it on one. Would be amazing to have that resolution, although Microsoft did say Windows 8 would support Retina displays and promised "they're coming".

Looks like other companies are still waiting for Windows 8 to launch before they ship Retina screens.

Vista/7 would support retina quality high DPI screens. Windows has been resolution independent for about forever now, and gives you the option to scale the UI to whatever size you want.

The only problem with it would be 3rd party apps that use bitmaps instead of vectors for their icons. They'd end up looking a little chunkity at higher DPI settings.

28monkeys
Jun 11, 2012, 06:37 PM
wow, so everything Steve did, has meanings behind!

needfx
Jun 11, 2012, 06:38 PM
I meant audio-in. My bad.

There's no audio-in. Ridiculous.

I really don't get why they're making the Macbook Pro like a Macbook Air.

good point
no solution via adapter, nor on the tb display either

Shacklebolt
Jun 11, 2012, 06:42 PM
More I look at it, more sold I am on the Retina Book Pro.

The optical drive on my 2006 MBP (still using....) broke in 2008 and I haven't missed it one bit. Optical bay would be nice for extra storage, but for anyone who is going to blow past 512/768 (like me), you're going to end up with external hard drives sooner or later, and a 1TB optibay, though definitely convenient, won't help avoid the problem.

My _guess_ is that the RAM/SSD _isn't_ soldered on/permanently wedged in, because that would be, uh, ridiculous, and add an utterly unnecessary step to the production process. Of course Apple isn't going to broadcast that you can make the upgrades yourself when they can nail you for $200+ right away. Never have, never will.

Oh, and until they make a thunderbolt television (......) HDMI is an absolutely great addition.

steve333
Jun 11, 2012, 06:45 PM
There's a 11 and 13 inch Macbook Pro

A 15 inch Macbook Pro that's different from the 11 and 13 inch macbook Pros
plus a next generation 15 inch macbook pro that's different from the regular 15 inch macbook pro.

Ya kidding me, Apple? You couldn't keep the ibook name or come up with something else or stick with just macbook? You couldn't find another name for the 'next generation' Macbook Pro?

Bizarre

Rideherhard
Jun 11, 2012, 06:46 PM
next gen computer with outdated WiFi, should've had AC.

theluggage
Jun 11, 2012, 06:46 PM

A few, actually. Then, lots of newer HD capable projectors have HDMI (or how's the boss going to watch his Bluray discs?). Or if your in a hotel room, you can plug into the telly and watch movies.

Sure, you'll still need to carry a Mini-DP-to-VGA dongle, just as you have for the last N generations of MacBooks, but if HDMI is available you'll get better resolutions.

Then there's people editing video, who quite often hook up a TV to preview their work on... a TV.

Then there's all the monitors with HDMI in, including 2650x1440 ones (e.g. from Dell) which would otherwise need the Mini-DP to Dual Link DVI adapter, rather than the regular one.

class77
Jun 11, 2012, 06:47 PM

Did you see all the scratches he left on the top of that old 15"?

u2jazz
Jun 11, 2012, 06:49 PM
Fantastic for including the retina, but there is no matte option. The live blog mentioned the screen had been made less reflective, but by how much?

Matte retina display is an oxymoron. The matte finish adds fuzziness, which Apple will never do.

needfx
Jun 11, 2012, 06:52 PM

plus a next generation 15 inch macbook pro that's different from the regular 15 inch macbook pro.

Ya kidding me, Apple? You couldn't keep the ibook name or come up with something else or stick with just macbook? You couldn't find another name for the 'next generation' Macbook Pro?

Bizarre

Maybe Macbook Prair pronounced as Macbook Prayer?

----------

next gen computer with outdated WiFi, should've had AC.

At first I thought you meant Air Conditioning

MacBH928
Jun 11, 2012, 06:57 PM
Haha
1) After faulty retina display I got on iPad no way I buy Retina macbook
2) Burning heat
3) Expensive

To be honest, I don't mind the price if the Retina is perfect and laptop is cold. If they can do that then ok.... plus I think its too much money for a computer that has hard time running recent games...at least that is how Apple always shipped their computers. Weak graphic cards

Adam22
Jun 11, 2012, 07:02 PM
What's the battery life on this Mac book pro compared to the last mbp? Does anyone know ?

nutjob
Jun 11, 2012, 07:04 PM

The optical drive is irrelevant, most people don't use it. There's no reason for it to be taking up a larger and larger percentage of the laptop. Most sensible people use networking to transfer files, even very large ones. If not there is always the external drive or SD cards. I have yet to hear a convincing argument why most people need an optical drive.

The ethernet port is somewhat more useful, but on a laptop not so useful that having to add a dongle between the cable and mac a big deal. You only have to think of the alternatives to see why it's a good idea: some sort of port that sticks out of the mac or a thicker case. A slight inconvenience, but again it won't affect most people, which is the point.

needfx
Jun 11, 2012, 07:04 PM
What's the battery life on this Mac book pro compared to the last mbp? Does anyone know ?

supposedly same amount of time with a retina display, and more cells.

GS17
Jun 11, 2012, 07:06 PM
Yes, they will but menubar and other chrome only take up a small part (maybe 20%) of the screen height (unless you have all toolbars turned on in Word).

This is what I found irritating sometimes in this forum, people talking about pro machines and specs and screen real state and all those goodies and then some "Pro" user gets and Boom just throws Word or some other definitely not Pro application to the conversation, and the worst part is you start thinking and more than half the people in here use non-pro software, I mean, maybe you're a Pro used car salesman but I don't believe the use of office or other software of the like are pro apps (many professionals use them but that doesn't warrant a Professional computer), heck, I even feel that way for many so called pro video editors that just do wedding photography (nothing wrong with that), I really feel pro video editors are doing work at ILM and the like. For me pro software starts at Maya, smoke, shake (RIP) etc.

I'm pretty sure the person you were replying to was referring to something more than word, maybe photoshop or some other more pro software.

Sorry about the long post

Osnabrueck
Jun 11, 2012, 07:06 PM
Lack of SCSI port is a total deal breaker for me.

nutjob
Jun 11, 2012, 07:07 PM
Haha
1) After faulty retina display I got on iPad no way I buy Retina macbook
2) Burning heat
3) Expensive

To be honest, I don't mind the price if the Retina is perfect and laptop is cold. If they can do that then ok.... plus I think its too much money for a computer that has hard time running recent games...at least that is how Apple always shipped their computers. Weak graphic cards

Most children who want to play games haven't got the money for a Mac laptop, so it makes sense.

And it's true most people can't afford this machine, which is good, gives people something to aspire to.

needfx
Jun 11, 2012, 07:10 PM
This is what I found irritating sometimes in this forum, people talking about pro machines and specs and screen real state and all those goodies and then some "Pro" user gets and Boom just throws Word or some other definitely not Pro application to the conversation, and the worst part is you start thinking and more than half the people in here use non-pro software, I mean, maybe you're a Pro used car salesman but I don't believe the use of office or other software of the like are pro apps (many professionals use them but that doesn't warrant a Professional computer), heck, I even feel that way for many so called pro video editors that just do wedding photography (nothing wrong with that), I really feel pro video editors are doing work at ILM and the like. For me pro software starts at Maya, smoke, shake (RIP) etc.

I'm pretty sure the person you were replying to was referring to something more than word, maybe photoshop or some other more pro software.

Sorry about the long post

agreed.
if I could add cinema 4d, cs6 (after effects, flash, premiere, illustrator, audition etc), zbrush, avid, sdks for osx & ios, autocad and so on and so forth

edit
needless to mention software packages that still haven't made it to mac platform such as nuke, 3d studio max, flint, inferno, argent, bryce blah blah blah, and this is only content creation without gaming software references.

squirekyle
Jun 11, 2012, 07:19 PM
I kept thinking: "Where's the eject button?" oh yeah! It doesn't have one stupid :)

theluggage
Jun 11, 2012, 07:21 PM

No, there are 11" and 13" Macbook Airs for "light duties", 13" and 15" Macbook Pros for heavier duties and the new 15" retina MacBook Pro at the top of the range.

This is a transition. The "original" MacBook Pros are still there because (a) some people need more than 256GB of storage, and doing that with flash currently costs an arm and a leg and (b) its too soon for some people to give up their optical drives and Ethernet ports. The "new MBP" will probably replace the old ones in time - with one factor being the cost of flash storage, another being the decreasing need for optical drives.

phantomsd
Jun 11, 2012, 07:21 PM
Does anyone know why there's no MacBook Pro branding at the bottom of the screen? It isn't there in the pictures on the Apple website either. :confused:

Interesting move from Apple. I noticed this on The Verge's video review... thought it was the reflection but the official photos on Apple's site don't have it either. Looks clean, though.

Pro31
Jun 11, 2012, 07:23 PM
For those wondering, I was told by the apple chat specialist this: "Since the components are all soldered on the Mac they are not user upgradeable. You can only do that with the normal non-retina display Macbook Pro. "

bartzumbari
Jun 11, 2012, 07:24 PM
A Thunderbolt port can be used for Thunderbolt, Firewire* and Ethernet*

But an Ethernet port can only be used for Ethernet...

*Adapter required

So instead of having a thunderbolt that can be used for three different things, the 1" thick MBP just has those three different things so you don't need adaptor. I do wish the 1" thick MBP had HDMI--would've saved me having to get an adaptor for my external monitor.

Bart

needfx
Jun 11, 2012, 07:24 PM
Interesting move from Apple. I noticed this on The Verge's video review... thought it was the reflection but the official photos on Apple's site don't have it either. Looks clean, though.

dammit, I liked that branding, but I guess they are trying to make a trademark statement entirely through its design alone.

Macboy Pro
Jun 11, 2012, 07:28 PM
People talking about the minimal amount of thickness reduction have no concept of proportion. It is like saying a 4'3" person is almost as tall as a 5'6" person.

The point is that you give up ALOT to get to the thinner wow factor. I'll take the upgradeable components, option for optical drive, and ethernet that comes along with 3/16 of an inch.

Remember, when you buy Apple soldered Ram, when it goes bad, its $1000+ Logic board if you are out of warranty (1YR) or its the option of buying only 3YR warranty for the very very reasonable ripoff of $349.

Same with the drive. Any OEM Drive has whatever warranty Apple gives you. Even if Seagate or Toshiba normally offers 3YR or 5YR, you are limited to Apple providing the warranty.

Greedy

phantomsd
Jun 11, 2012, 07:29 PM
For those wondering, I was told by the apple chat specialist this: "Since the components are all soldered on the Mac they are not user upgradeable. You can only do that with the normal non-retina display Macbook Pro. "

OWC (macsales.com) has been carrying user upgradeable SSD blades for the current MBAs... hopefully this is possible with the new MBP. RAM... prob a no-go.

Pro31
Jun 11, 2012, 07:31 PM
OWC (macsales.com) has been carrying user upgradeable SSD blades for the current MBAs... hopefully this is possible with the new MBP. RAM... prob a no-go.

He told me no. The ssd isnt a regular one you can swap, it is soldered in flash storage. Just going by what they told me though.

bartzumbari
Jun 11, 2012, 07:33 PM
No, there are 11" and 13" Macbook Airs for "light duties", 13" and 15" Macbook Pros for heavier duties and the new 15" retina MacBook Pro at the top of the range.

This is a transition. The "original" MacBook Pros are still there because (a) some people need more than 256GB of storage, and doing that with flash currently costs an arm and a leg and (b) its too soon for some people to give up their optical drives and Ethernet ports. The "new MBP" will probably replace the old ones in time - with one factor being the cost of flash storage, another being the decreasing need for optical drives.

But when the large SSDs become cheaper, the "original" MBP can be cheaply and easily upgraded. Not only that, when 16G ram becomes cheap (probably a year), that's an easy upgrade as well (the previous generation 1333 RAM is already only about $100 for 16G).

Worse, those cheaper SSDs will also be faster and use less power and the thin MBP will be stuck with the original flash drive.

Just seems to me that they should put some engineering effort into figuring out how to fit both replaceable RAM and flash drives into that thinner design.

The main downside to the original MBP is, how blurry will the 1440x900 display seem in a few years? The ultimate (and I yet have hope they'll do it) would be an original MBP chassis with a retina display.

Bart

pacalis
Jun 11, 2012, 07:34 PM
This is what I found irritating sometimes in this forum, people talking about pro machines and specs and screen real state and all those goodies and then some "Pro" user gets and Boom just throws Word or some other definitely not Pro application to the conversation, and the worst part is you start thinking and more than half the people in here use non-pro software,

Wow, pro police in the house.

You know, there should really be a licensing body that monitors who gets to use these computers, like a professional association or something.

Gosh forbid these threads get into the wrong amateur-ish hands.

sevimli
Jun 11, 2012, 07:34 PM
No parallel port, no deal. :mad:

Shacklebolt
Jun 11, 2012, 07:36 PM
Converter is $39 for Thunderbolt to DVI. Fine by me.

http://www.svideo.com/tb-dvi.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=tb-dvi

bartzumbari
Jun 11, 2012, 07:39 PM

I don't have to carry a whole person in my bag. Now if you talk about a 5.5" GI Joe doll compared to a 4.25" Barbie doll--they both fit in my bag just fine. :)

Bart

ibilisi
Jun 11, 2012, 07:40 PM
+1000 to all that have mentioned the possible issues and ramifications of the "retina" display basically giving the same "effective" real-estate as 1440x900. I've been gimping on a 2008 mbp (prior to 1680 option) and it has been killing me for development on the go (consulting). Simply not enough real estate for ios, android, photochop, ai and the like. I've been holding out but if the mbp doesn't provide more useable space? Nonstarter.

Also, from the logic board shots I see two upgradeable slots. Looks like the SSD but the second is a mystery, it is to the left of the memory banks. It may be feasible that apple created a new ram interface as well...all speculation at this point.

needfx
Jun 11, 2012, 07:40 PM
Wow, pro police in the house.

You know, there should really be a licensing body that monitors who gets to use these computers, like a professional association or something.

Gosh forbid these threads get into the wrong amateur-ish hands.

Funny comment that pro police, but GS17 is right to a certain point. Such specs are taken advantage by either someone who never quits any programs, or an actual pro user on the move (using demanding software other than office/iwork/mail/web/iphotos/imovie/photobooth).

edit
and gamers, pro gamers maybe, I stand partly corrected by myself

theluggage
Jun 11, 2012, 07:41 PM
The optical drive on my 2006 MBP (still using....) broke in 2008

This.

Optical drives, especially the slimline ones, are unreliable (probably due to dust). I've had several fail on me. Even if I need an optical drive I'd rather have an external one - and its not something I'd habitually need to carry on the road.

The ethernet port is a bit more of an issue, but the tiny $30 Thunderbolt-to-GB-Ethernet dongle looks like a solution, especially when there are 2 Thunderbolt Ports, 3 USB 3 ports and HDMI, so its not using up your only expansion/monitor port (c.f. the Air where the USB2-to-Ethernet dongle uses up one of only 2 USB ports).

I think the current dealbreaker for me is the cost of getting the 768GB SSD version when anything else would be a downgrade from my current 750GB hard drive - but I think that's more about the price of flash than anything else, although its daft that you have to get the faster processor model to get the 512 and 768 SSD options.

phantomsd
Jun 11, 2012, 07:44 PM
He told me no. The ssd isnt a regular one you can swap, it is soldered in flash storage. Just going by what they told me though.

The ones from OWC aren't regular enclosed SSDs... they're in blade form specifically for the MBA... and a customer rep telling you no is the same as an Apple employee denying LTE in the next iPhone.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express