PDA

View Full Version : So Does apple new maps have anything that can compete with Google Maps StreetView?

PacificBeach
Jun 11, 2012, 04:23 PM
So Does apple new maps have anything that can compete with Google Maps StreetView?

charlieegan3
Jun 11, 2012, 04:25 PM
i think google still wins that one, but Apples maps have some cool things.

Electric turd
Jun 11, 2012, 04:26 PM
say bye bye to street view. So you lose a feature to gain something other phones have had for 4-5 years. Neat isnt it?

i think google still wins that one, but Apples maps have some cool things.

What "cool" things do you speak of?

rovex
Jun 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
The 3D rendering comes across as gimmicky to say the least. Streetview will certainly go amiss with this replacement..

nfl46
Jun 11, 2012, 04:33 PM
Well, you know how Apple is...they don't give us every feature we want within applications. Over time we'll get everything. I'm just glad we have a free turn by turn navigation. About darn time.

LastLine
Jun 11, 2012, 04:35 PM
The thing is Google will undoubtedly just put Maps in the App Store anyway :)

ndavid126
Jun 11, 2012, 04:36 PM
Just download Google Earth App for street view.

Electric turd
Jun 11, 2012, 04:37 PM
Just download Google Earth App for street view.

It doesnt have street view on the iphone app

PacificBeach
Jun 11, 2012, 04:42 PM
I got a feeling apple will not let google maps into the app store.................:mad:

ndavid126
Jun 11, 2012, 04:42 PM
It doesnt have street view on the iphone app Well patience is key. By the time iOS 6 goes public I would expect Google to release a Google Maps app or at the very least a street view app.

mavis
Jun 11, 2012, 04:49 PM
But Apple doesn't allow duplicate functionality apps, do they? So that means no Google Maps, right?

Electric turd
Jun 11, 2012, 04:51 PM
But Apple doesn't allow duplicate functionality apps, do they? So that means no Google Maps, right?

It also means no other navigation apps. Who knows what will happen. Shady times

TheGodfather
Jun 12, 2012, 05:26 AM

There are multiple browsers and even a mail client in the app store nowadays, I'm not sure Apple is as strict on this rule as they were previously.

8a22a
Jun 12, 2012, 05:35 AM
If they did 3D everywhere and you can zoom close to street level, but that could take years.

GoGa
Jun 12, 2012, 05:59 AM
Not yet, but tomtom is meant to be creating a street veiw of their own which will most likely make it's way to maps.

Cod3rror
Jun 12, 2012, 06:00 AM
say bye bye to street view. So you lose a feature to gain something other phones have had for 4-5 years. Neat isnt it?

What "cool" things do you speak of?

Actually you lose a couple of really useful features, to gain nothing at all, unless you have a 4S.

Gone:
Streetview
Google's transit routes
Google's POI database

New:
Turn-by-Turn navigation - 4S/iPad only
3D Flyover - 4S/iPad only

MonkeySee....
Jun 12, 2012, 06:02 AM
Since when did we have street view on iOS?? :confused:

idrewuk
Jun 12, 2012, 06:02 AM
I'd be surprised if, at least here in the EU, Apple are allowed to 'ban' Google Maps from the App Store. Surely that's stifling competition, or something equally ludicrous. But either way, I'll be hoping a Google Maps app for iPhone follows soon...

Grayburn
Jun 12, 2012, 06:09 AM

Drop a pin, tap on the little man with the Orange background in the pop up and then watch!

qtaran111
Jun 12, 2012, 06:11 AM

Since for ages. Drop a pin in Maps and hit the little man icon in the pin's bubble.

MonkeySee....
Jun 12, 2012, 06:16 AM
Drop a pin, tap on the little man with the Orange background in the pop up and then watch!

Since for ages. Drop a pin in Maps and hit the little man icon in the pin's bubble.

Holy ****. I never new that! :o

Menel
Jun 12, 2012, 07:15 AM
Holy ****. I never new that! :o
Lucky you! You won't be missing any features in the new version LOL! :P

MadGoat
Jun 12, 2012, 08:59 AM
I am sure that iOS maps will have streetview. I recently saw a few TomTom trucks in my city that had streetview cameras mounted.

Since the maps are provided by TomTom and "others", I am fairly certain we'll see it make an appearance soon.

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 09:04 AM
I'm hoping google releases a map app for iOS.

If they release even half of what the maps app for Android is, I can't see anyone using the native app.

I'm a huge apple fan, but they really shouldn't have gone down this path. They'll never be able to catch up to and provide the maps experience that google did.

Daveoc64
Jun 12, 2012, 10:32 AM
I am sure that iOS maps will have streetview. I recently saw a few TomTom trucks in my city that had streetview cameras mounted.

Since the maps are provided by TomTom and "others", I am fairly certain we'll see it make an appearance soon.

The problem is that it took Google 5 years to cover nearly 40 countries around the world. Bing has been working on their equivalent service "Streetside" since 2009 and it doesn't cover anywhere near as many places as Google does.

It's not easy to catch up with a service like this.

WestonHarvey1
Jun 12, 2012, 10:38 AM
The 3D rendering comes across as gimmicky to say the least. Streetview will certainly go amiss with this replacement..

Street View is a fun gimmick and I'll miss that. It was only really useful for rare situations when I arrived somewhere and couldn't quite tell where I was. Sometimes scrubbing through Street View would save me some walking around.

The 3D maps are more useful for navigation than Street View. They give you a better feel for your environment.

moonman239
Jun 12, 2012, 10:39 AM
Actually you lose a couple of really useful features, to gain nothing at all, unless you have a 4S.

Gone:
Streetview
Google's transit routes Transit routes are still available
Google's POI database Maps now uses Yelp.
So you really only lose one feature.
New:
Turn-by-Turn navigation - 4S/iPad only
3D Flyover - 4S/iPad only

Reponses in bold.

Electric turd
Jun 12, 2012, 10:40 AM
I'm hoping google releases a map app for iOS.

If they release even half of what the maps app for Android is, I can't see anyone using the native app.

I'm a huge apple fan, but they really shouldn't have gone down this path. They'll never be able to catch up to and provide the maps experience that google did.

The BIG problem with apples way of doing this map is that its part of the OS and not a stand alone app. Which means that it will only get updates when a major OS update happens. That sucks

Parise
Street View is a fun gimmick and I'll miss that. It was only really useful for rare situations when I arrived somewhere and couldn't quite tell where I was. Sometimes scrubbing through Street View would save me some walking around.

The 3D maps are more useful for navigation than Street View. They give you a better feel for your environment.

If you were in a helicopter maybe....

Not to mention, its barely available anywhere.

Street View wins, hands down....

Gjwilly
Yelp has replaced Street view.
If the address has a Yelp review you'll get a slideshow of whatever pictures are in the review where the Street view used to be.
This might include a shot of the exterior or it might not.
If there is no review then you just get a satellite map.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 12, 2012, 10:53 AM
I've heard flyover isn't working too well right now in the beta, but for those who it is working for, how far in can you zoom?

Because I was hoping that all these 3D graphics would be detailed enough that you can actually "Flythrough" the streets and get a comparable experience to street view. Possibly even better in a lot of ways because it would actually be 3D and you can even go off roading.

Maybe this type of thing can be added?

YsoSerious
Jun 12, 2012, 10:57 AM
Watching the wwdc last night I almost laughed when they introduced the new map feature. Saying how beautiful it was. It looked like crap!!! The 3d features was pointless. I see their point in using their own map app, but jezzus, it looked amateurish next to google maps

Parise
Jun 12, 2012, 10:58 AM
I've heard flyover isn't working too well right now in the beta, but for those who it is working for, how far in can you zoom?

Because I was hoping that all these 3D graphics would be detailed enough that you can actually "Flythrough" the streets and get a comparable experience to street view. Possibly even better in a lot of ways because it would actually be 3D and you can even go off roading.

Maybe this type of thing can be added?

Its not working badly, there's just not many cities (understatement) that have the data for it.

You can zoom in pretty closely though. Personally, its not a comparable experience to street view.

WestonHarvey1
Jun 12, 2012, 10:59 AM
If you were in a helicopter maybe....

Not to mention, its barely available anywhere.

Street View wins, hands down....

Are you able to get a real-time Street View HUD on Android? That's the only way I see that being more useful.

Also, I maintain that 3D views are useful. Your brain makes more use of that information than you might think. If you see two buildings on the left and a clearing coming up, and the map shows you passing two buildings and then there's a clearing, that gives you more positive feedback than a 2D map where those features aren't as easy to perceive, even in a satellite view.

VSMacOne
Jun 12, 2012, 11:29 AM
I love the new Maps.app. It's easier on the eyes, clearer on directions and just makes more sense than previously. Flyover will be cool once it goes full speed in the fall, but the winner is Turn by Turn and the way it's integrated in the whole iOS with banners at the top and the full screen Maps on Lock Screen. That's gonna come in handy!
Also, I'm pretty sure in the past Google decided how much access Apple had to its maps which limited the capabilities of the old Maps app, but now hopefully it'll be easier to push out fixes and updates.

ct2k7
Jun 12, 2012, 11:37 AM
I need 3D to work in the places I need it to work before it's of any use to me. Other than that, Maps is fine.