PDA

View Full Version : Link aggregation with Thunderbolt->Ethernet adapter?

radiogoober
Jun 11, 2012, 04:27 PM
Hi all,

I realize that nobody knows if the thunderbolt -> ethernet adapter will support link aggregation yet:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD463ZM/A

I hope it does. I just ordered one on overnight. Says it will be here tomorrow or Wednesday. So, I'll let you know pretty soon.

For anyone who doesnt know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

Cecco
Jul 2, 2012, 12:54 PM
What's the result of your testing? Does it support link aggregation with the internal ethernet port?

radiogoober
Jul 2, 2012, 03:22 PM
What's the result of your testing? Does it support link aggregation with the internal ethernet port?

Yes, it does. It works fantastically. It took like three clicks in system preferences and a little configuration on my switch and it was good to go.

It works fine through reboots, but if I power off and on I have to reconfigure one setting in my switch. But besides that, I am completely pleased.

dampfdruck
Jul 3, 2012, 02:22 AM
Very interesting.
Is it a 802.3ad LAG?

Cecco
Jul 3, 2012, 04:57 AM
Good news after the long wait. :-)
A pity, Apple didn't supply the adapter with a second Thunderbolt port for daisy-chaining more than one adapter. So for anything faster than 2 Gbit ethernet we have to wait again for the appearance of a Thunderbolt hub at least for all Macs with a single Thunderbolt port. :-/

Mr-Stabby
Jul 3, 2012, 06:52 AM
Does anybody know if it supports Jumbo Frames? I imagine there would be an uproar from some creative professionals if it didn't. Me being one of them :)

awaddon
Dec 11, 2012, 12:00 PM
Hi, which switch are you using?, thanks

Yes, it does. It works fantastically. It took like three clicks in system preferences and a little configuration on my switch and it was good to go.

It works fine through reboots, but if I power off and on I have to reconfigure one setting in my switch. But besides that, I am completely pleased.

Cecco
Dec 12, 2012, 04:32 AM
Hi, which switch are you using?, thanks

Well you didn't ask me but I use either Netgear GS748TP or GS108T-200 and they work both after the initial configuration.

An I don't have to reconfigure anything after a reboot.

Pete

freejazz-man
Jan 8, 2013, 04:11 PM
you should be able to save the LAG in a switch configuration so that it wont need switch configuration after a reboot.

mvmanolov
Feb 5, 2014, 10:55 AM

Could you please post what system prefs you modified. Thanks.