Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manchester

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
I need to convert some videos to put into a powerpoint presentation. Now the videos are from works CCTV, so are in two different formats, both of which VLC player doesn't play One being NVF, the other MP4.

I've got Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate 6, which managed to convert the NVF file. However, the video has got a benny hill speed to it following the conversion, no idea why. And the MP4's don't want to convert.

So, any ideas what software to use?

JasonA

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
You should be able to use the MP4 in Powerpoint, just make sure to keep the videos in the same folder as the PPT file.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Check out Handbrake, too. Between that and MPEG Streamclip you should be fine.

Manchester

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
You should be able to use the MP4 in Powerpoint, just make sure to keep the videos in the same folder as the PPT file.
It can't be any old MP4 then, as it won't convert or play.

Check out Handbrake, too. Between that and MPEG Streamclip you should be fine.
Tried Handbrake, and failed.

Gonna give MPEG Streamclip a go now.

Manchester

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Well, MPEG Streamclip didn't work either :(

I've just downloaded MediaInfo, and tried to ascertain which codecs the files are using.

The NVF file came up with:
Video Format:- MPEG-4 Visual
Format Profile:- Advanced Simple@L5
Codec/Extension usually used:- m4v, mp4v

Whereas it doesn't return any codec information for the MP4's.

Both types of video do come with a separate player for each format, which works in windows.

Anyone got any ideas?

Manchester

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Why don't you google NVF converter

Great idea!

If only it were a NVF audio file, then google would be my friend. But it's a video, so no, google can't help.

There's also the mp4 files, which I've also had no luck with.

Ah well, looks like no one can assist. Mod's, feel free to close this thread.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
No need to close the thread. Xilisoft Ultimate Video Converter for NVF + Compressor 4 I know converts mp4 (not free) ... or try converting to ProRes first?

Last edited:

Manchester

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
No need to close the thread. Xilisoft Ultimate Video Converter for NVF + Compressor 4 I know converts mp4 (not free)

Mentioned in the original post that I've got Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate 6, this is able to convert the NVF files, but speeds them up like a Benny Hill sketch. It won't convert the MP4 files though, as nothing seems to be able to recognise them.

I'll try Compressor 4 as well.

How to convert to ProRes? It doesn't seem that the output is the problem, but rather the reading of the codecs in the first place.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Compressor 4 has ProRes as an output option. If the NVF files are sped up
you could use a program to slow them down like FCP X trial. Also with FCP X trial, you could import the mp4 and export using ProRes if you don't want to buy compressor. But you might need compressor to convert the ProRes file unless you have another program that will

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.