Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
My impression is, Apple doesn't any longer want to make computers. iDevices, yes. Software eco-system, yes. Laptops (because they can be managed in the Apple eco-system,) yes. Eventually there will be no Apple desktop systems, only iPad variants. I have an iMac (mid-2010 refresh), hands-down, best computer I've ever owned. And, of course, the OS, biggest selling point of all. But that's all going to be eliminated, in my opinion. As a late adopter, all I can say is, it was fun while it lasted. But it's over. When Steve died, much did. I don't think that Tim Cook is a bad guy, but he's a BA; what made Apple different, for a time, is that they weren't market-driven; they made their own market. And it worked. For a time. And that's coming to a close. It will take a few years, but what made Apple, "Apple", is, I think, done. If they could make a revolutionary refrigerator that would totally rethink the way the world thinks about refrigerators, and make the same or better money, I believe they'd think hard about getting out of this whole tech thing. They're just going to become another company. Sorry, but...think of the Mac-pro guys. Do, because Apple isn't. Money is everything; Art is nothing. This is your new Apple. And it didn't take any time at all.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
If you think *ANYTHING* shown today wasn't in the works already when Steve Jobs was alive, you're very sadly mistaken.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
I'll preface this by saying I'm annoyed there were no desktop releases today...

But I'm not sure how you can look at that new Retina MBP and then say "art is nothing". It's absolutely GORGEOUS.

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
The current on-going trend for everything to be portable really worries me.
I think there is room for everything. Apple is apparently leaning towards ignoring the desktop market.

I've been waiting for a few months for the new iMac, so I'm quite frustrated it didn't show up.
So, I have 2 options now:
1-forget about a new one and just buy the current version
2-forget about iMacs/Apple, since their future regarding desktops seems bleak.

I really don't know what to do now.
I dislike Windows, but can live with it, if necessary.
I really like MacOS, but don't want to spend a considerable amount of money on something old and/or that will be discontinued soon.

----------

There were desktop releases today, the MacPro has been bumped. We will get new iMacs in due time I am sure, just hold on.

I sure hope so.
I can wait one more month, but not much longer.

It was a very frustrating Monday for me. ;(

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Oh JOY! Oh JOY!

Another one of *these* threads! :roll eyes:

Glad I bought an extra large bag of popcorn today, gonna need for all these threads! :D

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
If you think *ANYTHING* shown today wasn't in the works already when Steve Jobs was alive, you're very sadly mistaken.

I'm not naive. I also don't that that SJ is god. Had he lived, he would have, I am sure, made decisions that I, as a consumer, would disagree with (banishing optical drive, for example) But, to a certain extent, Apple is a victim of their own success and, personally, I'm not sure I'm on-board with where (they seem) to be going. But I'm just one person.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008

Yup, Apple did today and will do tomorrow what Steve Jobs had plans laid out to do.

My guess is his influence will be with Apple for several more years.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
The current on-going trend for everything to be portable really worries me.
I think there is room for everything. Apple is apparently leaning towards ignoring the desktop market.

I've been waiting for a few months for the new iMac, so I'm quite frustrated it didn't show up.
So, I have 2 options now:
1-forget about a new one and just buy the current version
2-forget about iMacs/Apple, since their future regarding desktops seems bleak.

I really don't know what to do now.
I dislike Windows, but can live with it, if necessary.
I really like MacOS, but don't want to spend a considerable amount of money on something old and/or that will be discontinued soon.

----------

I sure hope so.
I can wait one more month, but not much longer.

It was a very frustrating Monday for me. ;(

Me, too.

----------

Yup, Apple did today and will do tomorrow what Steve Jobs had plans laid out to do.

My guess is his influence will be with Apple for several more years.

I completely agree. Which is why I don't think he should be canonized. I read the bio, moving while off-putting. I would hope that those who find Apple a "better way" don't do it simply because of him. No disrespect intended.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I'm not naive. I also don't that that SJ is god. Had he lived, he would have, I am sure, made decisions that I, as a consumer, would disagree with (banishing optical drive, for example) But, to a certain extent, Apple is a victim of their own success and, personally, I'm not sure I'm on-board with where (they seem) to be going. But I'm just one person.

And you're one person who can't make their mind up.

But it's over. When Steve died, much did. I

What died with Steve if this is exactly where he wanted the company to go?

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
And you're one person who can't make their mind up.
You are quite correct, I can't make up my mind. But my life is not intensively invested in this.

What died with Steve if this is exactly where he wanted the company to go?
Just to repeat, or make clear, I don't worship at the tomb of Steve Jobs. Having said that, I will say that I admire him, and I think that the company he left is moving in a direction with which I, personally, am not comfortable. I have no doubt that it is in a direction which he felt was desirable and inevitable. That doesn't mean I have to agree.
As an aside, after playing with them, I still don't understand why the iPad exists. I really don't. But I'm old. Feel free to pile on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.