PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to buy a Garmin GPS or is iOS 6 just as good?

NJRonbo
Jun 11, 2012, 05:33 PM
I was about to buy a top-of-the-line Garmin GPS.

From what I have been looking at, it seems that iOS 6 has its own GPS built-in,
complete with turn-by-turn directions and features that rival the best GPS units currently available.

Am I correct that what the iPhone and iPad offers with iOS 6 is better than the GPS units sold by Garmin/Magellan/TomTom?

jjk454ss
Jun 11, 2012, 07:36 PM
I doubt its better, but it could well be good enough or even great. The only thing is screen size for me, I'd rather have a 4.3 or 5 inch screen if I'm going to use it much.

Jordan921
Jun 11, 2012, 07:38 PM

complete with turn-by-turn directions and features that rival the best GPS units currently available.

Am I correct that what the iPhone and iPad offers with iOS 6 is better than the GPS units sold by Garmin/Magellan/TomTom?

If you have an iPhone 4S or planning on getting the new iPhone then you won't get the Garmin GPS. I think people have been posting that the iPhone 4 won't be getting turn by turn navigation.

GIZBUG
Jun 11, 2012, 07:39 PM
I use WAZE for my navigation........see no reason to switch. Love WAZE and its FREE

No garmin needed

leukotriene
Jun 11, 2012, 07:43 PM

Honestly, by my brief experience with it so far, it's superior to anything you'll find. I can literally speak a random address into Siri (with numbers and hard to understand street names) and she gets it all exactly right, and without using my hands, the directions automatically pull up and begin. Very very slick, I'm trying to be as honest as possible about it.

Jaben3421
Jun 11, 2012, 07:44 PM
I think the new maps will be fine, and the data comes from TomTom which is for the most part, reliable. The only thing is that you won't be able to use them until the fall so what you do for the next 2-3 months is the question.

NJRonbo
Jun 11, 2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I don't need this technology until the week of October 21st.

By then, the new iPhone will be out and that is what I'll be using to drive this navigation software.

So, it looks as if I don't have to buy the Garmin after all.

Thanks everyone.

Jordan921
Jun 11, 2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I don't need this technology until the week of October 21st.

By then, the new iPhone will be out and that is what I'll be using to drive this navigation software.

So, it looks as if I don't have to buy the Garmin after all.

Thanks everyone.

Yea just wait it out for the new iPhone!

nw9
Jun 11, 2012, 08:01 PM
I'm curious to know if the new iOS maps will let us cache maps for offline usage. There are many times when I drive to an area that doesn't have any internet. In comparison, the Garmin device I used had all their maps for offline usage. It also had a much larger screen which was nice when I zoomed out more on the map to get a better heads up about the direction ahead.

Alx9876
Jun 11, 2012, 08:09 PM
I ended up buying the Garmin 3790 LMT last year and I have no regrets with this. I was using Tom Tom GPS app on my iPhone since 2009.

It worked but I still bought my own stand alone GPS unit. What annoyed me with the iPhone GPS was emails, text messages and phone calls always interrupted my GPS use while on the freeway.

I have missed exits because of this and as nice as it is to have this feature on a Cell phone the screen is to small, expensive to get a windshield dock, to many interruptions.

Right now at Costco you can get a very nice 5 inch display Garmin that comes with a windshield dock for around $167.00 or less. Just as good as the one I bought.

I plan on checking this Apple Navigation out as well but I would still go with a stand alone unit above all else.

I was basically in the same boat as you back in 2010 on this very same subject.

You still need to find a windshield dock to use so you can see your cell phone while driving. Another pain the butt problem that you will face.

NJRonbo
Jun 11, 2012, 08:13 PM
I am looking at the Garmin 3790.

Thing that scares me is the conflicting reviews on Amazon that either rate it as exceptional or a dud that keeps crashing or lacks features.

As far as being interrupted by calls and emails....

iOS 6 now allows a DO NOT DISTURB option. Emails are also very easy to turn off via settings.

Phone calls can disrupt navigation, but the Garmin I am looking at has bluetooth that would allow a phone call to come through anyhow.

I suppose, the bottom line here is, if I can save $400 on a top-of-the-line Garmin and allow my iPhone to do basically the same thing that's a real plus.

jbachandouris
Jun 11, 2012, 08:28 PM
What you need to realize is that when you lose cell service, you may not have ANY GPS functions. I chose to buy a Garmin for exactly that reason: no service=no GPS.

FastEddiebags
Jun 11, 2012, 08:31 PM
What you need to realize is that when you lose cell service, you may not have ANY GPS functions. I chose to buy a Garmin for exactly that reason: no service=no GPS.

Totally agree. Your iphone should be your go to short distance gps but if your in the middle of no where, having a real gps is a nice safety blanket.

NJRonbo
Jun 11, 2012, 08:32 PM
Aaah, thanks guys. Makes sense.

Looks like the Garmin will be purchased after all.

baller1308
Jun 11, 2012, 09:14 PM
Aaah, thanks guys. Makes sense.

Looks like the Garmin will be purchased after all.
Garmin's are pretty cheap these days anyways.

1390LMT Refurb for $80 at Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Garmin-Nuvi-1390-LMT-Portable-GPS-Refurbished/17781643).