PDA

View Full Version : Passbook

cclloyd
Jun 11, 2012, 05:51 PM
Is this going to be an app we can get from the appstore before iOS 6 is released or is it going to be a built in app that we can't use unless on iOS 6?

Carlanga
Jun 11, 2012, 06:12 PM
built in most likely or until they release iOS6 then the app would be out for all devices maybe.

shandyman
Jun 11, 2012, 06:16 PM
Is this going to be an app we can get from the appstore before iOS 6 is released or is it going to be a built in app that we can't use unless on iOS 6?

built in, it's like newsstand. compulsory app folder type thing, looks good tho, just awaiting dev's to adapt

Project
Jun 11, 2012, 06:16 PM
really stoked about this app. with retail support it could be huge for Apple. those 400m credit cards on file and a NFC iPhone 5 would be hard to compete with from Google's perspective.

cclloyd
Jun 11, 2012, 06:52 PM
But, like, would stores need anything special to accomadate this, or can any barcode reader scan your phone? It seems that if all stores could use phones for stuff like this, the world would be simpler.

clukas
Jun 11, 2012, 06:58 PM
I'm really looking forward to more airlines integrating this. Im flying with Lufthansa next month and they are using mobile tickets which are really cool.

sixteen12
Jun 11, 2012, 07:09 PM
But, like, would stores need anything special to accomadate this, or can any barcode reader scan your phone? It seems that if all stores could use phones for stuff like this, the world would be simpler.

No, not different than the Starbucks app, electronic tickets, electronic boarding passes etc. it's just combining them all in one app.

This could be huge for Apple IMHO. I could really see major companies buying into this and with a NFC for Visa and MasterCard, it's making the iPhone close to a wallet replacement.

MVallee
Jun 11, 2012, 07:16 PM
This app sounds great but what would make it even better is if it replaced debit/credit cards. I think Apple is setting this up to add in that function when they announce the next iPhone with NFC.

utwarreng
Jun 11, 2012, 07:25 PM
Will this app handle things like your Kroger, Giant Eagle, Lowe's, etc cards?

chrf097
Jun 11, 2012, 07:27 PM

Barcode scanners can easily scan a phone. In fact, there are several apps similar that let you manage your barcodes on things like library cards so you can just use your phone.

Potentially. It has the ability.

Jordan921
Jun 11, 2012, 07:36 PM
Can't wait for NFC!

cclloyd
Jun 12, 2012, 12:43 AM
This app is just the consolidated start of the virtualization of the money in our lives. Everything in our lives is becoming digital, and this will be a great major step. Wonder what kind of security features they will have for it if your phone gets stolen. All the more reason to use a passcode.

ct2k7
Jun 12, 2012, 12:49 AM
I'm looking at another application of this.

Security passes.

hackerwayne
Jun 12, 2012, 06:19 AM
I'm a registered dev, the passbook app currently doesn't work, when you open it, it just shows an unclickable menu.

nathanlloyd
Jun 12, 2012, 06:24 AM
I'm a registered dev, the passbook app currently doesn't work, when you open it, it just shows an unclickable menu.

I think you have to have an app integrate into it like Newsstand.

JamesHP
Jun 12, 2012, 06:30 AM
Really good idea this. I use the Starbucks Card app very regularly and I've used mobile tickets in the past on the Eurostar. Having a unified wallet for them all will be very useful indeed, would just like support for mobile tickets like this to be rolled out in more places, like on UK trains.

shandyman
Jun 12, 2012, 06:31 AM
We have to wait for apps to be updated using the API's. until then, all we get is the following image. 342820

serkan
Jun 12, 2012, 06:33 AM
Will it work with ipod touch 4g as well ? I want to use that awesome passbook app as well :)

Rogifan
Jun 12, 2012, 06:38 AM
Stupid question, but why Passbook? Couldn't they have come up with a better name?

HE15MAN
Jun 12, 2012, 06:43 AM
I am super excited about this.

dashiel
Jun 12, 2012, 08:34 AM
I do hope Apple introduces a web API for this as well as native Cocoa APIs

Tonewheel
Jun 12, 2012, 08:37 AM
Stupid question, but why Passbook? Couldn't they have come up with a better name?

I seem to recall a backlash against something they named the iPad....

hackerwayne
Jul 4, 2012, 04:28 PM
Guys, you can now use it by going to passsource.com on your iOS 6 device ;)

The Game 161
Jul 4, 2012, 05:33 PM
How will it even work? if you have a card for say Burtons in the Uk or costa...what do you do with it? do the shop scan it in using your phone?

shandyman
Jul 4, 2012, 06:08 PM
How will it even work? if you have a card for say Burtons in the Uk or costa...what do you do with it? do the shop scan it in using your phone?

Yup. Like the subway app you can get right now, but built into passbook, they scan the barcode on it. Simple as.

if you mean how do you go from the card to the phone it's either log into the account on your phone or create one and transpose the card number to the phone. Have to wait and see as will prob depend on each company.

MattInOz
Jul 5, 2012, 03:15 AM
I do hope Apple introduces a web API for this as well as native Cocoa APIs

They already have. As covered in the keynotes passes can be emailed. Or if you link to them safari will push them to passbook.

dextergoodman
Jul 5, 2012, 03:41 AM

shandyman
Jul 5, 2012, 04:38 AM

Presumably if they have apps and the devs use the passbook APIs they'll be in passbook. Think it will take time to filter thru depending how on the ball each company is.

ajvizzgamer101
Jul 5, 2012, 08:47 AM

There are places like PetSmart or PetCo (can't remember) who have terrible scanners but any scanner will work.

proper
Jul 9, 2012, 02:23 PM

If you are in the UK and have an iOS6 iphone or ipod, you can create a coupon pass for PizzaExpress at passfu.com (http://passfu.com) It looks pretty much like the image below, although my coupon code is different.

You just need to show this code when asking for your bill... as the pass says at the bottom.

TacticalDesire
Jul 9, 2012, 04:31 PM
Looks interesting I guess. Don't see myself using it much. I don't travel a lot. And when I do, I usually drive.