PDA

View Full Version : Turn-by-turn navigation and flyover limited to iPhone 4S ONLY

Mortalias
Jun 11, 2012, 06:00 PM
Was just wandering around the Apple site and noticed this (seemingly important) bit of information at the bottom.

It seems iPhone 4 users are forced to opt out of some major features in iOS 6 Maps.

Apologies if this has already been discovered.

raptorstv
Jun 11, 2012, 06:07 PM
what about Siri then?

nabechu
Jun 11, 2012, 06:10 PM
what about Siri then?

Siri will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/#siri

raptorstv
Jun 11, 2012, 06:14 PM
lame................

chrf097
Jun 11, 2012, 07:33 PM
So? Just use a GPS app from the App store then. Loads of good ones, both free and paid (Personally my favorite and the best I've seen is Waze, and it's free)

Ay_Zimmy
Jun 11, 2012, 07:33 PM
That's probably because us 4 users will probably be getting the new iPhone which I'm sure will be coming out this fall as well. And if the iOS was good enough for you not to upgrade to the next phone, now you have plenty of reason. Just good marketing and business.

clukas
Jun 11, 2012, 07:36 PM
So? Just use a GPS app from the App store then. Loads of good ones, both free and paid (Personally my favorite and the best I've seen is Waze, and it's free)

waze is good but i found it uses a lot of data, which i prefer to spend on streaming music.

That's probably because us 4 users will probably be getting the new iPhone which I'm sure will be coming out this fall as well. And if the iOS was good enough for you not to upgrade to the next phone, now you have plenty of reason. Just good marketing and business.

hmm, i might wait until iPhone 6 next year.

Natesac
Jun 11, 2012, 07:48 PM
this is an odd one. I could understand leaving it out of the iPhone 4 if they wanted the turn-by-turn to be "married" to Siri. But the iPad 2 won't have Siri, very curious.

I have recently gone back to an iPhone 4 after using a 4S for 6 months (did the buy back from best buy=mistake) you can really tell the speed difference if you go back a generation. Maybe the turn by turn just does not run well enough on the iPhone 4 to get Apple's stamp of approval.

Now I'm kinda pissed my partial upgrade wont be available till Dec/Jan. I just have to stare at this $450 best buy gift card and try not to spend it.

chiefpavvy
Jun 11, 2012, 08:07 PM
No big surprise. Siri was 4S only to begin with any way. Nice they are bringing it to iPad 3 as well.

As for the turn-by-turn nav, I'll be sticking with Navigon anyways. I like having all the data available when a cellular connection is not, which is not likely to be even an option with the built-in turn-by-turn. Why waste data?

(I realize a lot of people were clamoring for "built in" navigation so I see why they did it. Now you cheap skate don't need to spend $50 but remember the offline caveat!)