Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
So below is a screenshot from BGR showing the new maps, and the same approximate area shown in the old Google Maps

Look how much more info is on the Google Map. Street directions, more street labels, etc. I know the new iOS maps is not fully out yet, and it has some cool, new features. But, in some respects I think it is going to be a big step back (similar to iOS iPhoto using Open Street Maps) in the quality of the map view.

I've always been a fan of Google Maps, and the subtle things they do to make their maps more readable. If you compare their maps to other mapping services, and study their labels, you will see that Google has spent a good deal of time figuring out how to best display labels. Subtle things from label size, the white space surrounding the letters, decluttering around major cities. All very subtle, but when you compare, it really makes a readability difference.

Attachments

• bgr-ios-6-7.jpg
    bgr-ios-6-7.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 4,272
  • IMG_4087.PNG
    IMG_4087.PNG
    400.5 KB · Views: 421

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
So below is a screenshot from BGR showing the new maps, and the same approximate area shown in the old Google Maps

Look how much more info is on the Google Map. Street directions, more street labels, etc. I know the new iOS maps is not fully out yet, and it has some cool, new features. But, in some respects I think it is going to be a big step back (similar to iOS iPhoto using Open Street Maps) in the quality of the map view.

I've always been a fan of Google Maps, and the subtle things they do to make their maps more readable. If you compare their maps to other mapping services, and study their labels, you will see that Google has spent a good deal of time figuring out how to best display labels. Subtle things from label size, the white space surrounding the letters, decluttering around major cities. All very subtle, but when you compare, it really makes a readability difference.

Zoom in. Watch what happens.

There's absolutely no reason to clog up my map with minor street names when I'm zoomed out so far.

Sixtyin3

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008

Looks like 3 steps back...

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I don't think anyone seriously expected Apple to be able to replicate everything (or even most of) what Google Maps has worldwide. It just wouldn't be possible. Even using Tom Tom, they're only accessing the same basic map data that Google does.

Bing is perhaps the biggest competitor to Google Maps, and they've not managed to cover as much of the world as Google in several years of trying.

http://www.microsoft.com/maps/streetside.aspx

I get that it's a beta, but it's going to take a miracle for the Maps app to actually be usable here in the UK.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

Sorry but I never really liked google maps. New Apple maps actually looks better without all the streets I don't need.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010

There's absolutely no reason to clog up my map with minor street names when I'm zoomed out so far.

Uh... well, I can tell where much more stuff is in the Google view, and how to get from point A to point B better. Basically, the purpose of a map. How's that for a reason? It's a very reasonable zoom scale. If I have to zoom in too far to see detail, it's not very useful. Google map is detailed, not clogged.

I don't think anyone seriously expected Apple to be able to replicate everything (or even most of) what Google Maps has worldwide. It just wouldn't be possible. Even using Tom Tom, they're only accessing the same basic map data that Google does.

Bing is perhaps the biggest competitor to Google Maps, and they've not managed to cover as much of the world as Google in several years of trying.

http://www.microsoft.com/maps/streetside.aspx

I get that it's a beta, but it's going to take a miracle for the Maps app to actually be usable here in the UK.

Yeah, there was a great web site comparing Bing and Google and talking about many of the same things I'm talking about. I think this was it:
http://reader.benshoemate.com/2010/12/google-maps-label-readability/

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.

In midtown Manhattan you NEED all the details you can get.
The Apple map doesn't even tell you what the direction the flow of traffic is on each street.
VERY important info to have if your trying to figure out how to get too/from someplace.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Sorry but I never really liked google maps. New Apple maps actually looks better without all the streets I don't need.

Now, without all the streets you don't need!
That's it, million dollar advertising campaign for the new maps. You nailed it!

RocksterX

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
The Maps application is very disappointing compared to Google Maps. It is missing not only Streetview, Transit, and a huge amount of businesses but it is also pretty ugly comparatively. It looks like a Tom Tom even for geographic features and quality. The 3D maps are cool, but it isn't much different than what Google Earth pulls off with more coverage and better information.

I had no idea how impressive Google's efforts were until removing it as an option by default.

There is going to be a backlash against this replacement of the existing maps with this. Guaranteed.

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
I like the design of Apple maps, but at least let us use google maps until the Apple maps are more developed and have more roads.

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009

I'm sorry... I missed the announcement that Apple had declare iOS 6 Maps finished, feature-complete, and never-to-be-updated-again.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
I'm sorry... I missed the announcement that Apple had declare iOS 6 Maps finished, feature-complete, and never-to-be-updated-again.

Google never made such announcements either, but never stopped people ridiculing Google for beta software. Hmmm...

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
I hope that they do not use the little dot anymore and use something that tells me which direction i'm heading.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Now, without all the streets you don't need!
That's it, million dollar advertising campaign for the new maps. You nailed it!

So your saying looking at the google maps picture you need the names of all the streets showing when you are looking for a specific street.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Very clearly, drawing any conclusions about Maps without actually using it is moronic at best.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
There is a large amount of work that goes into how much data should be displayed on a map. If you ask me, Google puts far too much information upfront and clutters the map. It has only gotten worse as they've let people place locations and other items on the map. Give me a clean map that produces more information as I zoom over a cluttered mess.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Frankly it is irrelivent whether Google displays more information on their maps. Once Google denied the use of their maps for turn by turn navigation, they ceased to be a long term option for iOS.
On the bright side, we will still have access to Google Maps via Safari while Apple improves their solution. Hopefully Google will submit their Maps app to the App Store in the interim.
For the record, I prefer Apples unification of the 2D and 3D modes into a single UI, as opposed to the separation of Google Maps and Google Earth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.