PDA

View Full Version : FT: My 20" Rev B iMac G5

topgunn
Jul 18, 2005, 09:17 AM
What I am offering:
I have a 20" Rev B iMac G5 with 1GB of RAM and 250GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus10 hard drive. Based on tests performed by barefeats.com, this is the fastest hard drive for the iMac that isn't a Raptor. Here (http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?doc2=117637) are the Xbench results for this machine. This machine has no dead pixels, has 11 months of warranty remaining, runs very quiet and doesn't have a scratch on it. My reasons for getting rid of it are because I need Dual processors and the ability to upgrade to the latest video cards.

What I am looking for:
I want a Dual G5 Power Mac. I would prefer a Rev B Dual 2.0GHz but will accept any Dual 2.0GHz. I will also consider Dual 1.8GHz machines as well. That is it. I do not want any G4 Power Macs, PCs, Single CPU G5 Power Macs, or any other Mac; only Dual CPU G5's.

If you are interested, post a reply or send me a private message.

Thanks.

ITASOR
Jul 18, 2005, 09:37 AM
Wow 200+ on xbench! Congrats, that's awesome!

Good luck with the trade!

mpopkin
Jul 18, 2005, 10:23 AM
i just have to point out in defense of rev a dual 2.0's is that they are
1) better: Take more memory etc
2) top of the line models, meaning that apple didnt cut corners to make them affordable for them and for you.
3) nice machines( i have one)

On that note I would be open for a trade, BUT there are things that need to be done. First my monitor is not part of a trade. period. i know a bit extreme, but my setup is quite a bit more expensive than an imac g5 2.0 even. I have 410gb hd, 1.5 ram, airport extreme, etc.
I also have applecare which expires end of next year. Rev A. Top of the line model g5 2.0 DP.
I would need you to acquire an applecare policy for your machine or 200.00 dollars your choice. and again. the monitor is off the market or for sale with for an additional 400.00 it is covered by applecare, only a year old and is in perfect condition( it is a last generation/revision Studio Display 17" and has the most beautiful colors of any monitor out there. I know this is a big request, but if i would want to trade my machine, i would have to get something that I consider equal to it and this is my offer, it really is a take it or leave it and i am being direct and for that i apologize, i can live happily with my machine and the only reason i am considering trading it is that i love new things all the time and this is a way to get part of what i like.

PM me if your interested

What I am offering:
I have a 20" Rev B iMac G5 with 1GB of RAM and 250GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus10 hard drive. Based on tests performed by barefeats.com, this is the fastest hard drive for the iMac that isn't a Raptor. Here (http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?doc2=117637) are the Xbench results for this machine. This machine has no dead pixels, has 11 months of warranty remaining, runs very quiet and doesn't have a scratch on it. My reasons for getting rid of it are because I need Dual processors and the ability to upgrade to the latest video cards.

What I am looking for:
I want a Dual G5 Power Mac. I would prefer a Rev B Dual 2.0GHz but will accept any Dual 2.0GHz. I will also consider Dual 1.8GHz machines as well. That is it. I do not want any G4 Power Macs, PCs, Single CPU G5 Power Macs, or any other Mac; only Dual CPU G5's.

If you are interested, post a reply or send me a private message.

Thanks.

topgunn
Jul 18, 2005, 12:24 PM
After talking with the folks at the Houston Apple Store, they are willing to let me bring the iMac back and exchange it for a Power Mac. Very cool considering that I am two weeks past my return date. I will however have to pay a restocking fee and the Power Mac will be a 2.0GHz Rev C which is the only 2.0 that is crippled with max 4GB memory and no PCI-X but I doubt either will be an issue with me.

umgolfer
Jul 18, 2005, 01:28 PM
i just have to point out in defense of rev a dual 2.0's is that they are
1) better: Take more memory etc
2) top of the line models, meaning that apple didnt cut corners to make them affordable for them and for you.
3) nice machines( i have one)

Just to clarify a few things, Rev. A G5 2.0's can have the exact same amount of memory as Rev. B's. They both can have 8GB max. Also, Rev. B's have a cooler/more effcient processor than the previous version (PPC 970fx vs. PPC 970). The most recent version of the PM G5 2.0, Rev. C, is the "crippled" version as it only allows 4GB of ram and does not have the PCI-X slots. It does ship with a better video card than any previous version. Also the Superdrive is slower in the Rev. A models (4x) than the Rev. B (8x) and the Rev. C (16x dual layer). Anyway you slice it, the PM's are nice and I wish I still had mine. For the money though, I am much happier with my iMac. Good luck with trading.

wnameth
Jul 18, 2005, 02:48 PM
Just to clarify a few things, Rev. A G5 2.0's can have the exact same amount of memory as Rev. B's. They both can have 8GB max. Also, Rev. B's have a cooler/more effcient processor than the previous version (PPC 970fx vs. PPC 970). The most recent version of the PM G5 2.0, Rev. C, is the "crippled" version as it only allows 4GB of ram and does not have the PCI-X slots. It does ship with a better video card than any previous version. Also the Superdrive is slower in the Rev. A models (4x) than the Rev. B (8x) and the Rev. C (16x dual layer). Anyway you slice it, the PM's are nice and I wish I still had mine. For the money though, I am much happier with my iMac. Good luck with trading.

ok, the rev. a only have four ram slots, and you have to put the ram in it in pairs, so to get 8GB of ram in it would cost over 1500$. (4 x 2GB sticks)

they are nice machines, good luck with your new machine

Rod Rod
Jul 18, 2005, 03:24 PM
to get 8GB of ram in it would cost over 1500$. (4 x 2GB sticks)
Check ramseeker.com. 8GB kits for the Power Mac G5 cost around $700.

topgunn, I hope they waive the restocking fee for you, or you find an even trade here. 10% adds up to a lot of money. I'm very tempted to trade my Power Mac (dual 1.8GHz / 2GB RAM / 160GB HDD / 128MB 9600XT / Airport Extreme) for your rev. B 20" iMac G5 but I'm hooked on having two processors.

umgolfer
Jul 18, 2005, 03:32 PM
ok, the rev. a only have four ram slots, and you have to put the ram in it in pairs, so to get 8GB of ram in it would cost over 1500$. (4 x 2GB sticks)

they are nice machines, good luck with your new machine

I might be wrong, but I don't think that you are right. I did some research in case I was rememebering incorrectly. Check here to see what I found. http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/stats/powermac_g5_2.0_dp.html

It says that the Rev. A PMG5 2.0 models have 4 pairs of RAM banks. As with any Powermac G5, you must install ram in pairs. As for 2GB sticks, I don't even think they exist that would be compatible with the PMG5 line.

Either way, it doesn't seem to matter, as the poster has decided to return his machine for the one he wants.

topgunn
Jul 18, 2005, 03:51 PM
Check ramseeker.com. 8GB kits for the Power Mac G5 cost around $700.

topgunn, I hope they waive the restocking fee for you, or you find an even trade here. 10% adds up to a lot of money. I'm very tempted to trade my Power Mac (dual 1.8GHz / 2GB RAM / 160GB HDD / 128MB 9600XT / Airport Extreme) for your rev. B 20" iMac G5 but I'm hooked on having two processors.
I bought the machine while Apple had the $100 rebate in addition to the educational discount so I already sent that in. I made sure to inform the employees at the Apple Store that I had cut out the UPC and sent in the original receipt with the rebate form so I only had a copy of the receipt. They said it wouldn't be a problem. The restocking fee is roughly $170 minus the $100 rebate means I am paying $70 to make the trade. Not too bad if it all works out like I hope it will *crosses fingers*.